Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922
    edited October 2021

@roadburner said:
    Horsepower is analogous to the screen size of a TV; nobody EVER says, I wish I had bought a smaller TV." and likewise I have yet to hear someone say, "I wish I'd bought a car with less horsepower."

This +1

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    breld -
    Beautiful M340i!
    Congratulations.
    Excellent choice!
    What equipment & options?
    - Ray
    Somewhat biased - by over 20,000 miles driving an M340i...
    2022 X3 M40i
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279

@breld - congratulations on the M340. I had no doubt that’s what you would end up with. It just happened 30 days faster than I figured it would.

I bet you will swap out the front pieces for shadow line in no time :) I must admit that I like the contrast of the darker grey with the chrome though

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,560

breld said:

Alright, so we arrived at the BMW dealership at 4:30 for our appointment, and my wife’s 330i was sitting out front all ready for us…

Looked beautiful, as expected, so we proceeded into the showroom to meet our salesperson.

Sitting in the showroom was the M340i, same color combo and same options, other than missing the extended shadowline package (more black trim) and adding Harmon Kardon.

My wife’s reaction to it was palpable. It quickly became clear that she really did want the upper model, but had struggled to justify the extra cost to herself. When I pointed out that it was about the same price as the A4 Allroad Prestige that she had on order, she immediately came around to the idea of springing for the M340i.

So that was settled…except there were some potential buyers walking around the M340i with a salesperson, which made us nervous. And in fact, once we told our salesperson we wanted to switch it up, there was a lot of talking “behind the glass” in the manager’s area.

Apparently, another salesperson had taken a deposit over the phone on the M340i, but hadn’t put a sold tag on it and perhaps didn’t complete some other administrative details, so the managers decided it was ours since we were there.

Phew!

They provided the same level of discounts on the M340i as they had on the 330i - not much, but $1,500 dealer discount, plus another $1,500 in rebates ($1,000 BMW and $500 loyalty). And of course the same $60k on the Tesla. So we were thrilled.

You have nerves of steel. I’d never be able to make a snap decision like that and ever sleep a wink again wondering if I made the right decision.
    Horsepower is analogous to the screen size of a TV; nobody EVER says, I wish I had bought a smaller TV." and likewise I have yet to hear someone say, "I wish I'd bought a car with less horsepower."
    Which is why (since I got out of the Navy in ‘63) I have ALWAYS gotten the largest engine available for the model of car I was buying, whether it was bought used or new. As you said, I’ve never been sorry I did that.

The reason for this is that when I was in the Navy, I bought 2 Chevy’s (‘56 and ‘62) from an uncle, due to his failing health, that had 6 cylinder engines. I swore up and down after the second time NEVER AGAIN.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2021
    tjc78 said:

@roadburner said:

This +1

Well, stickguy wishes he ordered the Maverick hybrid with less horsepower (And now he's ordered one!). And I'm actually glad I have the 2.4 in my 2018 TLX rather than the 3.5 V-6. The acceleration is fast enough for me with the 4-cylinder, and on my last highway trip of 420 miles at c.70-75 mph I got 38 mpg. But we are the exceptions that prove the rule.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358

There would have to be over a 25 mpg difference in fuel economy to make me take the model with less hp- and even then I wouldn’t be happy about it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Congrats @breld, another beauty, enjoy!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,547
    well, I don't blanketly agree about HP or TV. Both should be appropriate for the application.

in a smaller room, a screen can be too big to view comfortably. and for HP, if you aren't racing, having too much power for the chassis and tires can be counter productive. the TL 2.4 was plenty quick enough, and better balanced handling having a lot less weight over the front end than the V6 model.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

just signed the hybrid buyers order too. So now I feel like Breld, just with orders instead of actual purchases. This one probably doesn't get built until May at this point so who knows what will be going on by then.

from reviews that actually got results, if it is primarily going to be used around town, actual MPG is going to be close to double. And the powertrain seems to be more suited to FWD. I think resale is going to be better too on that model, but we shall see.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    breld said:

@nyccarguy said:
    @breld

are those 2 cars the same color?

Yes, they are - Mineral Grey. The lighting makes a big difference in the appearance.

The wheels are 19” and surprisingly, not staggered.

Because of xDrive. If it were RWD, pretty sure they would be staggered.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,284
    I met @breld, Mrs. @breld and @jpp75 for lunch today. I was given the opportunity to drive the new M340 to the new @breld casa.

All I can say is ... wow! Even though I was on suburban roads and wasn't really able to let the car show me what it's really all about, you can certainly feel the HP wanting to be let loose. Ride and handling are as expected for a mid-high end BMW, though my extra pandemic poundage found the sport seats a bit confining.

Nonetheless, a fantastic car. Even though it's blasphemous to say, I could probably be very content with a 330i.

The house - well, the house was to be expected, but the garage is something else. Plenty large enough for them to expand the fleet, add lifts, convert some of it to a man cave, etc. One of the features I really liked was that the garage door openers were off to the side of the door, not in the middle of the ceiling, between the tracks.

Was too open jawed to get any pictures.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I would like a picture of the door openers!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,284
    stickguy said:

I would like a picture of the door openers!

I do know they were Liftmasters; I'm sure @breld can provide a pix next time he's at the house.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

given the choice, I would end up with the 330i too, especially with the price differential. I have driven one and had no problem with the amount of power. it is still certainly a quick car.

stickguy said:

just signed the hybrid buyers order too. So now I feel like Breld, just with orders instead of actual purchases. This one probably doesn't get built until May at this point so who knows what will be going on by then.

from reviews that actually got results, if it is primarily going to be used around town, actual MPG is going to be close to double. And the powertrain seems to be more suited to FWD. I think resale is going to be better too on that model, but we shall see.

You should do very well with the resale values of both of your Mavericks. As you read, Ford significantly improved the Maverick hybrid engine compared to what they have on the Escape, and so it sounds like it's good power and excellent mpg.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Do any of you actually drive these cars anywhere besides to the store and back? How do they suit you in bad or different weather as the calendar unfolds? Do you ever take them across several states, or even one?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester

@stickguy said:
    an option I never would have thought of. Miles don't bother me that much on one of these.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/c0f1a106-a001-4074-abd6-12df902b44e0/

Or Infiniti's version.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/9ea95624-c697-4ac6-8afa-0ed3bc9cff9f/

if you are feeling more adventurous. I was sure this was a mis-classification. Never knew this option existed.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/83de7ced-50d3-4543-a79d-20e96ee2f88e/

A Jaguar convertible with 96377 miles. What could go wrong? :)

mjfloyd1 said:

@stickguy said:

an option I never would have thought of. Miles don't bother me that much on one of these.

Or Infiniti's version.

if you are feeling more adventurous. I was sure this was a mis-classification. Never knew this option existed.

Nothing that hasn't gone wrong before.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

Do any of you actually drive these cars anywhere besides to the store and back? How do they suit you in bad or different weather as the calendar unfolds? Do you ever take them across several states, or even one?

Just yesterday I drove from Louisville to Columbus and back to get our daughter who is in college, but doesn't yet drive (although she does have a learner's permit). 420 miles round trip, most of it in the rain, which made me grateful for my new Michelin tires. I've done a few of these trips in the last few months, and before that I took a work trip to Dallas. It's been three years and not quite four months since I got my TLX and it already has 49,800 miles on it. I've toyed with the idea of driving to Seattle to visit relatives at some point, seeing some National Parks along the way, but who knows if I'll ever actually do something like that (although my wife, to my surprise, sounded interested in the idea.) I'd also like to take some drives in my old home state of California, as well as maybe even drive somewhere in Canada again.

Have you forgotten that you've dialed into the Edmunds CCBA site. Please stop asking silly questions. B)

jmonroe
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710

@rayainsw said:
    breld -
    Beautiful M340i!
    Congratulations.
    Excellent choice!
    What equipment & options?

• Ray
      Somewhat biased - by over 20,000 miles driving an M340i...

Thanks @rayainsw - it has the premium and driver assistance packages. Power tailgate, Harman Kardon.

I’m really impressed with the new sensatec. Compared to the very plain look on my 2018 X3, the new models are perforated and have contrast white stitching. Looks much more upscale, and I actually prefer the feel of it over the leather.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,384
    mjfloyd1 said:

@stickguy said:

Or Infiniti's version.

Just think how good you would look driving it back from the repair shop.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Sometimes I’ll drive the Jeep to Taco Bell.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    mjfloyd1 said:

@stickguy said:

Or Infiniti's version.

On most domestic models I’d run from that mileage but for those Japanese cars I’d take them but wouldn’t pay that much. The Jag would be fun to drive….right to the mechanic.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    mjfloyd1 said:

@breld - congratulations on the M340. I had no doubt that’s what you would end up with. It just happened 30 days faster than I figured it would.

I bet you will swap out the front pieces for shadow line in no time :) I must admit that I like the contrast of the darker grey with the chrome though

Yup - you called it. But you should be impressed that we skipped the middle step!

And yes, you also know my habits…have already looked up the black trim pieces. 😀

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392

@au1994 said:

I definitely drive to preschool. And work. On a crazy weekend, even the zoo.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,664
    benjaminh said:

Just yesterday I drove from Louisville to Columbus and back to get our daughter who is in college, but doesn't yet drive (although she does have a learner's permit). 420 miles round trip, most of it in the rain, which made me grateful for my new Michelin tires. I've done a few of these trips in the last few months, and before that I took a work trip to Dallas. It's been three years and not quite four months since I got my TLX and it already has 49,800 miles on it. I've toyed with the idea of driving to Seattle to visit relatives at some point, seeing some National Parks along the way, but who knows if I'll ever actually do something like that (although my wife, to my surprise, sounded interested in the idea.) I'd also like to take some drives in my old home state of California, as well as maybe even drive somewhere in Canada again.
    I’d go for it. You have the tires and more importantly, you got your wife’s ok.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@au1994 said:

I definitely drive to preschool. And work. On a crazy weekend, even the zoo.

Rebel…

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429

Do one of you guys have a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2s? I had a set put on my Mom’s 2020 RX350. Her OEM tires (Bridgestone Ecopia?) lasted about 27K miles. She took it in for a tire rotation & NY State inspection the other day. The guy told her the tires barely passed safety inspection & advised she get new tires before the winter.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429

I’ve been starting up my Prelude and letting it run almost every day. I sprinkled some baking soda on the carpet to help soak up any moisture. Vacuumed it up and sprinkled some more down. The musty smell seems to be dissipating. I do see some rust on the bolts of the seat tracks.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,358

I'm taking the Club Sport to Hilton Head for the BMW CCA Oktoberfest.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    edited October 2021

Oops. I worked on it from 0930 (not 0830) to 1230. Not bad. It probably would have gone faster if I didn’t take nearly an hour trying different things got get the lower mounts joined. Once I finished the first side with the bar, the second one took perhaps two minutes to settle.

The temperature was above freezing by the end, which felt pleasant, but the ground started getting a little soggy due to the dusting of snow melting upon contact.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

On the VW/Audi thread, the wife’s 13 Jetta, which we bought new, has only given us minor/annoying electrical issues. One just ended up being a fuse, but the other two persist. First, the front passenger window is a bit of a dance to close. Seems like it thinks it’s hitting something and goes back down unless you just nudge it through a critical point about 2/3 closed. The other is the TPMS which seems to have failed when the original battery died last year. I can only complain so much about a VW. My brother has had a few VWs and Audis and said the 16 A4 sedan he had was the best car he has owned. Not sure how many others he doesn’t talk about.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    mjfloyd1 said:

@stickguy said:

Or Infiniti's version.

in this case, not the automatic transmission!

Don't ask me. I don't even have a car of my own! I just borrow my wifes.

nyccarguy said:

I’ve been starting up my Prelude and letting it run almost every day. I sprinkled some baking soda on the carpet to help soak up any moisture. Vacuumed it up and sprinkled some more down. The musty smell seems to be dissipating. I do see some rust on the bolts of the seat tracks.

That’s what happens when you don’t wax the whole car. :(

jmonroe
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

So after just over 3 years with the RDX I can now say I wouldn’t have gotten out of a situation without AWD. Didn’t arrive in time to park in the gravel lot at the Kentucky Castle so we were directed to the large grassy area. Which was quite wet, and more than a little muddy in spots. As we were departing, the wife noticed some guys one row over, trying to push a Fusion that was stuck in one of those muddy spots. I tried to go up our own row, but where the upgrade got a little tricky and more muddy, the two rows were parked very close together. I didn’t want to risk a wiggle ending badly, and got a little bogged down. I decided to back up to a gap that would get me to the next row, which was just as muddy but at least there was enough room that I could saw plus or minus a good 45 degrees as I powered my way up the hill.

Would have been easier with a better AWD or traditional 4wd but I’m not sure how it would have gone with 2wd.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
    for driving, it seems like we mostly just take the RDX on trips. in 19 months, it has gone from Philly area to around Albany NY at least 6 times (maybe more), an extended trip to Burlington VT., and a trip to Boston. Plus various other shorter (100 miles?) trips to N. Jersey, NYC, or places in PA.

and even with that, we only have 10,600 miles on it. Just don't do much local stuff I guess.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,922

@ronsteve said:
    So after just over 3 years with the RDX I can now say I wouldn’t have gotten out of a situation without AWD. Didn’t arrive in time to park in the gravel lot at the Kentucky Castle so we were directed to the large grassy area. Which was quite wet, and more than a little muddy in spots. As we were departing, the wife noticed some guys one row over, trying to push a Fusion that was stuck in one of those muddy spots. I tried to go up our own row, but where the upgrade got a little tricky and more muddy, the two rows were parked very close together. I didn’t want to risk a wiggle ending badly, and got a little bogged down. I decided to back up to a gap that would get me to the next row, which was just as muddy but at least there was enough room that I could saw plus or minus a good 45 degrees as I powered my way up the hill.

Would have been easier with a better AWD or traditional 4wd but I’m not sure how it would have gone with 2wd.

I got our FWD Enclave stuck in that very same situation

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

xwesx said:

I set up the Q7 for surgery last night before bed. I assumed it would be colder this morning, so I wanted to be able to get right to work. However, at 0830 when I finally dug into it, it was about 25 degrees, which really isn’t uncomfortable when you’re working.

Above is a shot of the bottom bushings in situ. And, below, showing the damage after removal.

It was very fast to get them out, compress the springs, and reassembled.

However, after installing the top brackets onto the car, lining up the bottom bushing with the wheel assembly was unbelievably difficult!

I ended up having to contort my body while hanging from a 6’ steel rod like a monkey to get the leverage I needed while also inserting the bolt into the passage of the mount and bushing. I’m sure it looked as ridiculous as it felt, but it got the job done! All told, I needed about 200# of leverage 3’ out from the lever point on the top of the wheel assembly.

It is done now, though, and I saved about $800 in the process. Now I just need to get the alignment completed.

WOW, I’d never think about doing that outside in that weather. You should have sent Mrs. @xwesx out there to do that job.

Saving 800 bucks is nice but you’re going to spend 900 bucks running the heating pad before you thaw out. :'(

jmonroe
    or more after the 200#s of leverage knocks the car off the jack stands and it falls on you.

some jobs, just way easier with a lift. and of course safer.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,985
    I have a car but can’t drive. I am now in an ‘air cast’ for another 4 weeks. Hopefully physical therapy begins next week. I miss driving and the general activity in keeping our cars clean and maintained. My wife drives the Passat every week to exercise it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

I have a car but can’t drive. I am now in an ‘air cast’ for another 4 weeks. Hopefully physical therapy begins next week. I miss driving and the general activity in keeping our cars clean and maintained. My wife drives the Passat every week to exercise it.

It’s good to hear that you’re progressing well. I’m sure not being confined to your bed has to be a big relief.

We wish you continued progress and hope you’re behind the wheel again in no time.

jmonroe

@nyccarguy said:
    Do one of you guys have a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2s? I had a set put on my Mom’s 2020 RX350. Her OEM tires (Bridgestone Ecopia?) lasted about 27K miles. She took it in for a tire rotation & NY State inspection the other day. The guy told her the tires barely passed safety inspection & advised she get new tires before the winter.

Have the tire shop call Michelin- they were great in offering money towards replacement tires when the Premier LTX tires were bald after 14k miles (60k mile warranty)

edited October 2021

@breld said:
    Yup - you called it. But you should be impressed that we skipped the middle step!

And yes, you also know my habits…have already looked up the black trim pieces. 😀

Strong work skipping the middle step although who knows, right now you may have been money ahead with the middle step?

Are you changing out the front and rear chrome pieces and exhaust outlets and badges? I’d be tempted to plasti dip them given your buying habits… :)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    nyccarguy said:

I believe those are the tires @benjaminh bought for his Acura.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited October 2021
    Yes @nyccarguy I do have the Michelin CC2 tires and like them a lot.