Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    edited October 2021
    Hoovie's fleet - the $29k Tesla intrigues me, although it may be a salvage title which can't be connected to their charging network, which would significantly hamper its utility for me.

The 224,000 mile Prius made it to Charleston with its check engine light ablaze. I put the bottle of Cataclean in with about 3-5 gallons left in the tank, ran it until it was showing 1 out of 10 "pips" on the scale, refilled the tank, and reset the CEL using BlueDriver. The CEL came back on the second ignition cycle. I ran that tank of gas and reset it a second time, so we'll see if it comes back. It's burned enough oil to bring the level to just a hair above the full mark, so I'll continue to keep an eye on that. I did bring an extra quart and funnel in anticipation of needing to add some.

As a bonus, I just had two of the TPMS sensors replaced at Discount Tire. It ran fine for a week, but now the light is on again. I made an appointment Monday morning to have the local DT take a look.

As a road trip car, the Prius is on the noisy side, which may be more annoying than the lack of horsepower. The Bluetooth audio streaming device I bought to plug in the aux port works pretty well.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I did my best! Should send Breld over there. an accountant, and very experienced with all aspects of car flipping!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I happened to be in the vicinity of the BMW dealer @breld and Mrs. @breld were at last night, he had texted @Michaell and I about the 340 so I stopped by. It's a gorgeous car, sounds great and I liked a lot of the styling touches, seeing it again today at lunch in the daylight it looked even better.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789

@stickguy said:
    or more after the 200#s of leverage knocks the car off the jack stands and it falls on you.

some jobs, just way easier with a lift. and of course safer.

Well, it was levered down against itself, so it wasn’t having much effect on the stability of the stands. In contrast, my efforts to raise the strut up to meet the wheel assembly nearly toppled the whole thing.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    nyccarguy said:

I’ve been starting up my Prelude and letting it run almost every day. I sprinkled some baking soda on the carpet to help soak up any moisture. Vacuumed it up and sprinkled some more down. The musty smell seems to be dissipating. I do see some rust on the bolts of the seat tracks.

I know you had some flooding issues at your house recently but I was unaware that your cars got flooded enough to impact the interior. So the water actually got into the interior of the Prelude?

Depending on how high the water came up you might want to pull the seats and carpet to wash and disinfect them before drying. At least spray some WD-40 on all the seat tracks and moving parts.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

ronsteve said:

So after just over 3 years with the RDX I can now say I wouldn’t have gotten out of a situation without AWD. Didn’t arrive in time to park in the gravel lot at the Kentucky Castle so we were directed to the large grassy area. Which was quite wet, and more than a little muddy in spots. As we were departing, the wife noticed some guys one row over, trying to push a Fusion that was stuck in one of those muddy spots. I tried to go up our own row, but where the upgrade got a little tricky and more muddy, the two rows were parked very close together. I didn’t want to risk a wiggle ending badly, and got a little bogged down. I decided to back up to a gap that would get me to the next row, which was just as muddy but at least there was enough room that I could saw plus or minus a good 45 degrees as I powered my way up the hill.

Would have been easier with a better AWD or traditional 4wd but I’m not sure how it would have gone with 2wd.

What genius thought it was a good idea to direct parking on a muddy hill?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

ronsteve said:

So after just over 3 years with the RDX I can now say I wouldn’t have gotten out of a situation without AWD. Didn’t arrive in time to park in the gravel lot at the Kentucky Castle so we were directed to the large grassy area. Which was quite wet, and more than a little muddy in spots. As we were departing, the wife noticed some guys one row over, trying to push a Fusion that was stuck in one of those muddy spots. I tried to go up our own row, but where the upgrade got a little tricky and more muddy, the two rows were parked very close together. I didn’t want to risk a wiggle ending badly, and got a little bogged down. I decided to back up to a gap that would get me to the next row, which was just as muddy but at least there was enough room that I could saw plus or minus a good 45 degrees as I powered my way up the hill.

Would have been easier with a better AWD or traditional 4wd but I’m not sure how it would have gone with 2wd.

You've never been to Kentucky?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Went to the hospital clinic yesterday and confirmed that I've got a case of vertigo again. Was told under no circumstance to get behind the wheel, so we'll see about when I go back to work. Sucks big time as feel like I've lost a week of my life again and no one likes to feel sick all the time. Twice in my college years, I caught some kind of sleeping sickness where I basically slept a lot and have no recollection of almost 3 weeks of my life back then. It was pretty weird and having this intense vertigo again reminded me of how bad it is to feel so sick.
    Hopefully I'll be feeling better tomorrow then I do right now and get back to my normal life. It ain't much, but I want it back!!! The Golf is clean & just sitting in the garage, I had it washed & vacuumed right before I got ill. I know I don't feel well as have no desire to drive yet, which is truly abnormal for me...I always want to drive!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

This is depressing.

https://youtu.be/SkNu4xYdvkA

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,380
    Bwahahahaha!!!!! $72k for a Ridgeline? As John McEnroe once said “You cannot be serious!”

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    @Sandman6472
    Hope you get better pronto.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I don't think they come close to expecting to get that. My guess, they only have one, so no great incentive to move it. and if you put an absurd asking price, some rube might feel like that took advantage of them by haggling it down to only $10K over!

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2021
    Seems like some people are going to get buried in debt with of this surge in vehicle prices. In a year or two the values for some of these vehicles will probably fall.

(9-minute video of Wile E. Coyote vs. gravity.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRSHzenjiNA
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

ronsteve said:

The brother of a guy who owns a tow truck outfit.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    was telling the wife at dinner last night about my expanding empire of cars on order. and discussing options on the truck. At the price, it is almost impossible to lose, even if the market tanks back to normal. No way though I would be buying something with a massive markup.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    I can't understand dealers trying some of those ridiculous markups. Even if some fool comes along and actually pays it, I suspect it is likely they are going to be bad-mouthing the dealer at some point once things settle down.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418

I just got rear ended again! Minimal damage. All are ok, I’m just a little shaken up.

Got off of the highway. Went to make a right turn on red. I realized I couldn’t go because there was a car coming. I stopped. The Xterra behind didn’t. Happy Halloween everyone!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

Man that just sucks!! Sorry to hear.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

ab348 said:

I can't understand dealers trying some of those ridiculous markups. Even if some fool comes along and actually pays it, I suspect it is likely they are going to be bad-mouthing the dealer at some point once things settle down.

“Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will…”

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    @Sandy, we hope you’re back to normal soon and driving again since that is what makes you happy.

Good luck.

jmonroe
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    nyccarguy said:

I just got rear ended again! Minimal damage. All are ok, I’m just a little shaken up.

Got off of the highway. Went to make a right turn on red. I realized I couldn’t go because there was a car coming. I stopped. The Xterra behind didn’t. Happy Halloween everyone!

😡 Glad everyone is ok.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    edited October 2021

@nyccarguy said:

Idiots are everywhere. BTDT, I know it sucks.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

nyccarguy said:

That sucks. Glad you are ok.

nyccarguy said:

Good to hear there were no injuries. But, that kind of shxx has to get old.

jmonroe

Good thing the taco is a lease the way it’s getting beat up.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385

Ugh. Sorry, @nyccarguy. Glad you’re okay.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI

One thing on these silly markups. Even if someone wanted that ridgeline, unless they had $30k to put down, nobody would finance them.

Even with higher current payments, seems way smarter to just lease.

nyccarguy said:

That’s too bad, as long as you’re ok. Any idea on damages?

@oldfarmer50 said:
    That’s too bad, as long as you’re ok. Any idea on damages?

Some of the plastic is scuffed. I didn’t even take the guy’s information. It’s barely noticeable

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Very nice. The pristine old Benz just says I’ve got money but no, I don’t need to show you.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    fintail said:

Thinking back to an 80K ADM on a G550 @Michaell posted a few months ago, I came across this on another forum today:

If you ask I'm sure they'll throw in the etching for free.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

fintail said:

Thinking back to an 80K ADM on a G550 @Michaell posted a few months ago, I came across this on another forum today:

Nope. They'll dig their heels in.

nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

fintail said:

Nope. They'll dig their heels in.
    I'm sure @andres3 will bite on half the etching fee if they agree to put a bow on it, at no additional charge, in time for Mrs. @andres3's birthday.

jmonroe
    au1994 said:

Very nice. The pristine old Benz just says I’ve got money but no, I don’t need to show you.

I had to walk around to check the badge, and it's a 240D. Can't imagine driving that out on the highway, but on the 25-35 MPH roads in and around Charleston, I'm sure it would do fine.
    corvette said:

au1994 said:

I had to walk around to check the badge, and it's a 240D. Can't imagine driving that out on the highway, but on the 25-35 MPH roads in and around Charleston, I'm sure it would do fine.
    Oh man…acceleration is a suggestion in that tank. Highway merging would induce much pucker.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,604
    edited November 2021
    Speaking of automotive eye candy-

You're welcome.

Someday, this will rule Radwood.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    tifighter said:

You're welcome.

Or haunt my dreams....
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

That might be worse than the Aztec.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012
    au1994 said:

corvette said:

au1994 said:

Oh man…acceleration is a suggestion in that tank. Highway merging would induce much pucker.
    My folks had a '72 220D, and I would agree with you about that. I took it to Los Angeles a few times with friends (about 60 miles, give or take), and any sort of slope would almost stop forward progress.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

tifighter said:

You're welcome.

Or haunt my dreams....
    Well maybe not that bad but bad enough that I’m sorry I opened the damn link. :@

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    tifighter said:

You're welcome.

It's one of maybe 20 sold in North America?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The Murano convertible reminded me a lot of the Evoque convertible. Both answers to questions absolutely nobody was asking.

A few more, plus a bonus “mild” Carolina Squat.

corvette said:

A few more, plus a bonus “mild” Carolina Squat.

You should have waited for the owner of the Mac to show up then asked him for a test drive and ran as soon as he took one step toward you. :(

jmonroe
    edited November 2021

Some guy on one of these Prelude FB groups in Ohio has a 1992 Prelude Si 4WS with 23K miles I’m that drop dead gorgeous dark blue color. After some chiming in from posters, he wants to sell it to an enthusiast before he lists it for $15K.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Is that Prelude ad legit? Seems like the owner could get more than the $15k he plans on listing it for.

I know that gen hasn’t yet hit a high demand level, but still.

If it were closer I’d be considering it.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    I guess he needs the money for his boat?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert