Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,572
    Just got an email from Acura. Integra release is 11/11. Technically the prototype, but at this point, has to mean basically final production version.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Saw some thinking interesting pop up on marketplace, in my town. 2007 Pontiac Solstice. Red, 5 speed. Picture looked clean. And only $4,500.

Then read the detail. 220,000 miles. On about the least practical car ever, with zero cargo capacity. Did have a lot of new parts, just a pesky CEL on. Seller did say it was a P0420, so likely needs a cat.

No longer feeling the love on this one.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,684
    Michaell said:

Nissan is now offering an 18 month lease on the 2022 Frontier.

Pro 4X RV is 94% for 10k

I guess that’s not one you’ll be buying at the end of the lease. Maybe that’s the point so there’s a vehicle to put on the used lot at the end.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguy said:

Saw some thinking interesting pop up on marketplace, in my town. 2007 Pontiac Solstice. Red, 5 speed. Picture looked clean. And only $4,500.

Then read the detail. 220,000 miles. On about the least practical car ever, with zero cargo capacity. Did have a lot of new parts, just a pesky CEL on. Seller did say it was a P0420, so likely needs a cat.

No longer feeling the love on this one.

On an orphan car that miled up I’d be worried about getting parts when the inevitable break downs occur. I bought a low production Lincoln that was 18 years old and found no one carried some of the parts I needed. Used parts were never satisfactory.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,480
    tifighter said:

It's $4500 during the carpocalypse. What were you expecting, a sandwich and a massage?

LOL

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    tifighter said:

It's $4500 during the carpocalypse. What were you expecting, a sandwich and a massage?

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,370

@stickguy said:
    Do the event, drive through the night!

Now there’s a rumor that the entire HHI Concours is in jeopardy since 2” of rain are expected. The event is held at a golf course and if the ground is too saturated cars won’t be allowed on it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,803
    edited November 2021

Now there’s a rumor that the entire HHI Concours is in jeopardy since 2” of rain are expected. The event is held at a golf course and if the ground is too saturated cars won’t be allowed on it.

You had some fun. Might just be time to call it a day and head home.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,102
    xwesx said:

“A man has got to know his limitations.”

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Ford teased me this week. Last I heard on Maverick #1, about 2 weeks ago they bumped me back to production the week of 11/8, and unlike the prior times where they pushed it at least a week early, I heard nothing. Until a few minutes ago. Just got an email that I was rescheduled to week off 11/22. So even if no more delays, unlikely it arrives before Christmas (or maybe the week just before, which coincidentally is the same week I bought my last car). Though at the pace they are going, it could easily get delayed again.

maverick #2 might arrive at the same time (not really, that one is probably May timeframe). But the Civic Si may beat it. Heck, the Integra might give it a run for it's money.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited November 2021
    Yep, that $3995 charge is a "Market Adjustment Fee" which I flat out refuse to pay on any vehicle! I'm lucky in that I can wait out this chip shortage, I only wanted to treat myself to something new since I don't smoke or drink and have been working going on 8 years come January 13th. I retired back in 2012 officially but was home starting in October of 2010, thinking I'd never be employed again. I remember my wife saying I should do something & found a part time gig the next day in the rental car business. And here I am, still working it which I still enjoy.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options

Yep, that $3995 charge is a "Market Adjustment Fee" which I flat out refuse to pay on any vehicle! I'm lucky in that I can wait out this chip shortage, I only wanted to treat myself to something new since I don't smoke or drink and have been working going on 8 years come January 13th. I retired back in 2012 officially but was home starting in October of 2010, thinking I'd never be employed again. I remember my wife saying I should do something & found a part time gig the next day in the rental car business. And here I am, still working it which I still enjoy.

Boy, talk about lack of transparency. $1k doc + $4k market adjustment? You might as well tear the Mulroney sticker off and just put: Cost=whatever we feel like.

Up here we’ve got drivers who’ve been “retired” 20 years still working into their 80s. The rental car biz is like the fountain of youth. ;)

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,991
    Browsing online our local dealers have minimal new volume like everywhere else. The local Cadillac dealer that normally has an extensive inventory has 5 new vehicles. Subaru about the same. The only dealer showing fair inventory is the local VW store where I’ve done business, showing 61 units. No Jettas, GTIs. Mainly Atlas and Taos. They have 6 Passats that haven’t moved forever. I have no idea what type of markup they have on them but I suspect it’s not pretty.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Boy, talk about lack of transparency. $1k doc + $4k market adjustment? You might as well tear the Mulroney sticker off and just put: Cost=whatever we feel like.

Up here we’ve got drivers who’ve been “retired” 20 years still working into their 80s. The rental car biz is like the fountain of youth. ;)

Free market economy! Just supply and demand.

Hey, nobody complained when they paid less than sticker.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Hey, nobody complained when they paid less than sticker.

Other than the dealers, that is.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,574
    stickguy said:

Ford teased me this week. Last I heard on Maverick #1, about 2 weeks ago they bumped me back to production the week of 11/8, and unlike the prior times where they pushed it at least a week early, I heard nothing. Until a few minutes ago. Just got an email that I was rescheduled to week off 11/22. So even if no more delays, unlikely it arrives before Christmas (or maybe the week just before, which coincidentally is the same week I bought my last car). Though at the pace they are going, it could easily get delayed again.

maverick #2 might arrive at the same time (not really, that one is probably May timeframe). But the Civic Si may beat it. Heck, the Integra might give it a run for it's money.

The way things are going for you, I might be getting a punch before you and I’m not even in the market right now.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160
    edited November 2021
    Punch to report!! Any guesses? I'll give you a hint that it's a manual convertible.
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • Options

@xwesx said:

We are headed home tomorrow morning; there’s a CCA dinner tonight which we already paid for. We are going to try and get a refund for Legends but I don’t hold out much hope.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited November 2021

BMW did bring an i4, but I still can’t get past the grille:

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,102
    Looks like a genetically-modified beaver.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    rny421 said:

Punch to report!! Any guesses? I'll give you a hint that it's a manual convertible.

I will guess one of the TTs.

• Options

I wouldn’t call that “lack of transparency”. That looks like “full transparency” to me. However, I fully agree about the Mulroney sticker.

Now, as for being in your ‘80s and working for minimum wages, those guys have to REALLY love that work. There is no way in hell I’d be doing that when I’m that age.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

I totally agree with you. That falls into the category of, “what were they thinking”? :s

jmonroe
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,394
    jmonroe1 said:

I totally agree with you. That falls into the category of, “what were they thinking”? :s

jmonroe
    Ruined a perfectly good looking car.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,958

@rny421 said:

I really don’t know you, so it is wide open. Can you at least hint if new or used, and if used, how old?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160

Used, 2016, soft top, German.

2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • Options
    went newer than the 3 series I looked at for you. I will stick with a TT.

2nd choice is a 2 series BMW convert.

• Options
    “ Now, as for being in your ‘80s and working for minimum wages, those guys have to REALLY love that work. There is no way in hell I’d be doing that when I’m that age. ”

Most of my coworkers admit that they would do the job for free. Where else can a car guy try out dozens of different cars with pretty much zero supervision or interference?

• Options

Before the deluge(Thursday):

That guy ruined a perfectly good looking car. :(

jmonroe
  • Options

@stickguy said:

No love for the z4?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

Now I gotta make a roadside repair on the van. Either he didn’t install a clamp right or it somehow came off.

• Options
    if this was my wife's car, I would already have been told that I need to get her a new one ASAP and she is not driving the old one again.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280

I had not seen one of the Nissan Murano cross cabriolets for years and someone posted a pic. I pulled in to a restaurant on the square in Greencastle IN and parked right next to one. OH-IO plates

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946

@qbrozen said:
    Now I gotta make a roadside repair on the van. Either he didn’t install a clamp right or it somehow came off.

Ugh, what a trip!!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946

@stickguy said:
    if this was my wife's car, I would already have been told that I need to get her a new one ASAP and she is not driving the old one again.

Yep, same here

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,272
    Both Hoovie and the CDJR salesman pronounce the Wrangler model as "4 x e" and not "4 by e," at around the 9 minute mark of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyfanU76mVg
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397

@tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Yep, same here

+3

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    I got the wife the new RDX when the old one was just about to turn 8 years with us. Still very reliable, so I can look at the upgrade as "preventive maintenance" in a way. But if we had not gotten the new one and that old one stranded her, we would have been out shopping.

• Options

@tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Yep, same here

+3

+4

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280

@corvette said:
    Both Hoovie and the CDJR salesman pronounce the Wrangler model as "4 x e" and not "4 by e," at around the 9 minute mark of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyfanU76mVg

Why is a 4x4 not a 16?

• Options
    corvette said:

Here is the Prius in Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah (popularized by the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil):

So, you’re looking at a plot for it already. :s

jmonroe
  • Options
    stickguy said:

I got the wife the new RDX when the old one was just about to turn 8 years with us. Still very reliable, so I can look at the upgrade as "preventive maintenance" in a way. But if we had not gotten the new one and that old one stranded her, we would have been out shopping.

The bright side of this is now you know how to get her to walk the lots with you.

jmonroe
  • Options
    Michaell said:

@tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Yep, same here

+3

+4

You guys have to learn how to put your foot down.

jmonroe
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,608
    qbrozen said:

@stickguy said:

No love for the z4?

Z4 no tiene un softtopo. Solamente un topo rigido retracto.

As for the car, it has to be a 2 series.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,334
    edited November 2021
    I know better than to put my wife in that situation(putting her in a hooptie for a long trip).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

@tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Yep, same here

+3

+4

You guys have to learn how to put your foot down.

jmonroe

Of course, my wife doesn't really drive anymore - either she's chauferred by her daughter, or by me. So, not likely that she'd be in a position to be stranded on the side of the road.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,272

I know better than to put my wife in that situation(putting her in a hooptie for a long trip).

The T&C isn't old enough to be a hooptie, IMO, plus it has a lifetime warranty. I could see it becoming a beater for @qbrozen if the missus doesn't want it anymore.