Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    mjfloyd1 said:

@Sandman6472 and @oldfarmer50 , I’m picking up an Enterprise rental this morning to take my youngest to Washington DC. She missed the eighth grade trip due to the Covid shut down.

Might be an interesting time to go with the Roe v Wade protests. Timing is everything.

I’ll use my Amex Card so that will be the primary car insurance in case of craziness.

You can't get to DC from Bloomington. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

Michael, I don't know if that range is listed as 100-0, or if it includes some sort of reserve (I would hope so!) but in my hypothetical, if I could get 200 realistic miles, without having to sweat seeing RTE in single digits, it would really be more than enough for most everything I would do. Heck, that would still probably be once a week plug in territory. I just would not plan on taking it further than our local relatives (25 or 40 miles each way). and plan plugging in as needed. If I wanted to take it to see the Princess in Boston, I think that is just about 200 miles all highway. so maybe just a charge in the middle? or stop to "fill up" on the outskirts, then stop again 1/2 way home?

What I see is folks running their EV's down to 20-30% charge then use a fast charger to "refill" back up to about 80% in 20-30 minutes. Rinse and repeat - roughly 100 to 150 miles per leg.

The idea is to minimize the charge time versus the driving range. Rarely do folks get down to single digit charge levels on road trips, as it takes too long to recharge back up to 80%. And, of course, it depends on the quality of the charger.
    So in reality only 55% of range is comfortably being used? I’m using my example of not letting the charge dip below 20-25% to provide a buffer to prevent being stranded with a dead car by letting the charge get too low and perhaps not being able to get to a charging station. I generally fill my car when it gets to 3/8- 1/4 empty tank. 80% charge-25% buffer=55% range. 🤔

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435

I thought people would charge more (100%) before a trip to get more out the gate range. Maybe use 10-90 if looking to minimize stops.

But this all just points out that EVs are great for local use but still tricky and inefficient for long hauls.

If I had one unlikely I would consider taking it on a trip with more than 1 required recharge, and only if I was sure the time and location would be practical.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited June 2022
    henryn said:

au1994 said:

Wife did comment that she liked the Grand Cherokee though. Thats a possibility when this market normalizes a bit.

Now there's some wishful thinking. Not that I blame you, I keep hoping for the same thing.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1136288_new-car-prices-reach-record-highs-again-and-dealers-make-record-profits?utm_source=TCC+-+Daily+Headlines&utm_campaign=3bb239e8b0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_06_24_04_05&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d55bbd391e-3bb239e8b0-54482629

New car prices reach record highs, again, and dealers make record profits

June 24, 2022
    The average transaction price customers have paid for a new car is expected to reach $45,844 this month, according to the latest report from J.D. Power. That's a 14.5% increase from one year ago.

At the same time, the constrained supply isn't hurting dealers. Dealer margins on every new car sold is on pace to hit $5,123 profit per unit, the same automotive analysis projected. That represents an increase of $1,174 from a year ago, and is more than double the usual pre-pandemic profit on a new car sold, including finance and insurance income.

So it’s not just the oil companies who are cleaning up? Maybe the president can send the car dealers an angry letter too.

I’m beginning to think I’ll never be able to buy another car again and still look at myself in the mirror.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    I think they are from Czechoslovakia.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

@tifighter said:
    Speaking of vans, I had some company stay overnight yesterday.

For anyone who is curious though, it’s a 2019 VW California TDI 4Motion. With air suspension and an extensive camper build done in Germany.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

And it’s CH, not CZ.

tifighter said:

And it’s CH, not CZ.

Does Westfalia still make the camper section for VW?

edited June 2022
    mjfloyd1 said:

@Sandman6472 and @oldfarmer50 , I’m picking up an Enterprise rental this morning to take my youngest to Washington DC. She missed the eighth grade trip due to the Covid shut down.

Might be an interesting time to go with the Roe v Wade protests. Timing is everything.

I’ll use my Amex Card so that will be the primary car insurance in case of craziness.

Just don’t bring it back without plates or full of bullet holes or tell the agent “the brakes are kind of weak over 150”. :'(

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    tifighter said:

And it’s CH, not CZ.

I actually saw a Routan, last week. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Der Schweiz?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stickguy said:

I thought people would charge more (100%) before a trip to get more out the gate range. Maybe use 10-90 if looking to minimize stops.

But this all just points out that EVs are great for local use but still tricky and inefficient for long hauls.

If I had one unlikely I would consider taking it on a trip with more than 1 required recharge, and only if I was sure the time and location would be practical.

If you're starting from home, sure, start at 100%.

Getting from 80% to 100% charge takes as long, or longer, than going from 20% to 80%. From what I've seen, not worth the extra time.

Also, VW gave you 3 years of unlimited charging, so long road trips don't cost a dime in energy costs. May be inefficient, but can't beat the price.

Check out JK EV on YouTube; they've done a few long road trips with their ID.4 - Chicago to Orlando and back, then a long road trip out west (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Utah).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Just don’t bring it back without plates or full of bullet holes or tell the agent “the brakes are kind of weak over 150”. :'(

2022 Kia Sorrento with just shy of 11k miles. That will work.

Not sure 150 is attainable…
    Plates are IL and already bent up.
    No current bullet holes. There is a windshield chip tho

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@tifighter said:

@tifighter said:

For anyone who is curious though, it’s a 2019 VW California TDI 4Motion. With air suspension and an extensive camper build done in Germany.

That’s not something that was available stateside, right? Weird they’d call it a California if it wasn’t avail in Cali.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    qbrozen said:

@tifighter said:

@tifighter said:

That’s not something that was available stateside, right? Weird they’d call it a California if it wasn’t avail in Cali.

Maybe they called it a California because they knew that under no certain terms would it pass a California smog check.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

@tifighter I am guessing it’s here for promotional purposes or with someone on military/diplomatic mission from another country?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,095
    tifighter said:

Must be in the $$$$$$ to ship that back and forth from CH.
    edited June 2022

No. Just friends from Zurich who decided to ship their van over and drive around the US for awhile. And Canada. And Mexico. TBD.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

The ONLY minivan I ever would allow in my garage:

My first thought was "No way! No internal combustion engine ever turned 13800 RPM." Being the curious type, I did a quick search and found this:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-news/lotus-elise-exige-and-evora-bow-out-of-production-423050

Apparently there have been ICE engines achieving 12k rpm, so I suppose 13k should be at least theoretically possible. I don't think I would want to own one though.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    stickguy said:

PHEV: best of both worlds. Ish.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463

I think they are from Czechoslovakia.

———————————————
    Be honest, you used spell check, huh?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

@tifighter said:

@tifighter said:

Maybe they called it a California because they knew that under no certain terms would it pass a California smog check.
    ————————————————-
    I guess VW doesn’t want to fudge data anymore just to get it into California.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,758
    edited June 2022
    qbrozen said:

Visitors from Canada? That’s all I can think of.

European plates on it. Somebody was seriously lost! :D

Edit, now that I've read the next page of posts.... That's likely a very sweet package in the size, air suspension, and with the TDI. I love the look of it - very unassuming in the grey and with the plain steelie wheels.

How long are they planning to tour? Assuming it arrived in port on the west coast (possibly even Seattle?), what route did they use to get it there?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Just filled up. This is insane!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Pretty good for a Highlander. o:)
    nyccarguy said:

————————————————
    You gotta move. A gallon of gas in my hood ain’t that expensive, yet.

jmonroe

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited June 2022
    nyccarguy said:

is this supposed to be a miles-per-gallon computation or ???

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Also confused here. What are we looking at but better yet...why? Inquiring minds would like to know.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————

jmonroe

Oh, don’t be silly. He’s obviously showing off how many gallons of fuel he can carry.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    MPG on the 4Xe, I assume.
    edited June 2022
    Found a used Murano on CL "for sale by owner" and was about to go check it out until I reverse number searched the seller and figured out he's a curbstoner.
    qbrozen said:

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe

Oh, don’t be silly. He’s obviously showing off how many gallons of fuel he can carry.

————————————————-
    Damn, I guess I wasn’t thinking. If he could only squeeze in another 40 gallons or fill up eight 5 gallon gas cans he could make a cross country trip assuming around 35 MPG. That would embarrass all EV owners that have to recharge their electrons several times to make that trip. Hell, @nyccarguy could be making the return trip before an EV even got there. Now that’s progress without new technology.

jmonroe

@corvette said:
    MPG on the 4Xe, I assume.

Heck, if I stay local, my 4xe’s mpg is infinite. ;b

Filled up the Prius with 2/10 pips on the fuel gauge and it was almost $42... I don't notice the prices on the Tundra because they are always ridiculous, even if gas is cheap, but I'm pretty sure that was the highest I've paid to fill up the Prius.

Also scored two gallons of ethanol-free fuel for my push mower (IDK whether it makes a difference, but I use maybe 3-5 gallons a year, and it's about $1 more per gallon, so it seems like extremely cheap insurance).
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

@tifighter said:
    No. Just friends from Zurich who decided to ship their van over and drive around the US for awhile. And Canada. And Mexico. TBD.

That’s what - 6ish weeks to do it? Not cheap. Was the thoroughly beat up Cruise America RV option not their thing?

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    qbrozen said:

Why would you consider that? You have a warehouse of CVT replacements you need to use up?

Moving on... new prospect has a Toyota 3MZ-FE with a five speed automatic.

@corvette said:
    Moving on... new prospect has a Toyota 3MZ-FE with a five speed automatic.

Hmmm… could be several things, but if competing with the Morono, I’d guess Highlander or RX330.

@28firefighter said:

@tifighter said:

That’s what - 6ish weeks to do it? Not cheap. Was the thoroughly beat up Cruise America RV option not their thing?

They are spending a year on this side. The shipping actually isn’t that expensive.

Yes. My last mpg tankful on the Wrangler. I was having connectivity issues yesterday.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    tifighter said:

They are spending a year on this side. The shipping actually isn’t that expensive.

For some Euroland camping aficionados it has become a thing to put their caravan on a ship and spend the summer here touring. As a seaport, Halifax receives many of these each spring and they are offloaded here awaiting their owners. Many are quite elaborate and unusual to our eyes.

http://truckfax.blogspot.com/search?q=camper

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

corvette said:

Filled up the Prius with 2/10 pips on the fuel gauge and it was almost $42... I don't notice the prices on the Tundra because they are always ridiculous, even if gas is cheap, but I'm pretty sure that was the highest I've paid to fill up the Prius.

Also scored two gallons of ethanol-free fuel for my push mower (IDK whether it makes a difference, but I use maybe 3-5 gallons a year, and it's about $1 more per gallon, so it seems like extremely cheap insurance).

I learned the hard way. My lawnmower and pressure washer both required carb rebuilds because of white crusty deposits left by gas with ethanol. That was 6 years ago. I have used only ethanol free since and no repairs needed and both start easily. Annual maintenance such as oil change, blade sharpening and if needed new air filter and spark plug are addressed by me.

sda said:

corvette said:

I learned the hard way. My lawnmower and pressure washer both required carb rebuilds because of white crusty deposits left by gas with ethanol. That was 6 years ago. I have used only ethanol free since and no repairs needed and both start easily. Annual maintenance such as oil change, blade sharpening and if needed new air filter and spark plug are addressed by me.
    In the past I had to replace the carbs on various lawn tractors almost yearly. The shop said that the ethanol was ruining them. Why the manufacturers didn’t foresee this and upgrade their products I’ll leave to the conspiracy theorists to decide.

These days small engines seem to be made to accept ethanol without damage and I haven’t had any problems using regular gas in my last two tractors.

Stopped by the dealer to look at some trucks.
    Hard to find one that's exactly what I want. I'll know it when I see it.
    I'm sure the dealer isn't happy about having carry this inventory.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    \that MachE situation is a killer. Hopefully they get the software fix done quickly. That at least is much better than needing to design, produce, and install new parts.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.