Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,555

Hey qbrozen,
    You've gotten vehicles shipped. Do you use a particular service? Thx.
    Got a quote to ship the Mustang from CT to OH, $820. Seems expensive.

Paging @breld - he’s shipped a couple of cars in the past few years.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,440

Hey qbrozen,

————————————————
    I’m betting @oldfarmer50 can beat that price.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    @jmonroe1,
    Is he going to push by by hand?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321

Given the cost of gas that seems about right.

Recommend checking uShip as well.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible

@jmonroe1,
    Is he going to push by by hand?

————————————————
    If that’s the only way he’s going to get your business, yeah.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    @28firefighter,
    That's who I got a quote from. There may have been multiple shipper options.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    edited June 2022

@explorerx4 - but you’d be missing out on a beautiful and scenic road trip by having it shipped! :p

@corvette,
    I will be taking the 'beautiful scenic road trip' in another vehicle that can actually make it to the end. :)
    edited June 2022

The search for a temporary vehicle is pretty brutal… Hoovie’s friend EuroAsian Bob has a “clean” Honda Pilot for sale that has the paint on the roof starting to peel. $14k. O.o

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747

Hey qbrozen,

When are you looking to move it?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,533
    jmonroe1 said:

Hey qbrozen,

————————————————
    I’m betting @oldfarmer50 can beat that price.

jmonroe
    By at least a dollar! :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited June 2022

@corvette,
    I will be taking the 'beautiful scenic road trip' in another vehicle that can actually make it to the end. :)

I thought you just had the transmission rebuilt and the oil leaks fixed? What else could go wrong?

How many miles is the trip?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817

@explorerx4 said:
    @28firefighter,
    That's who I got a quote from. There may have been multiple shipper options.

Uhaul trailer? Your Explorer should be able to pull it, right?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

corvette said:

The search for a temporary vehicle is pretty brutal… Hoovie’s friend EuroAsian Bob has a “clean” Honda Pilot for sale that has the paint on the roof starting to peel. $14k. O.o

I was looking at compact trucks again on CL today. I left in tears. :'(

@corvette,

I thought you just had the transmission rebuilt and the oil leaks fixed? What else could go wrong?

How many miles is the trip?
    ————————————————-
    Well, you know what they say about Ford’s.

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288

@oldfarmer50 said:
    That’s my favorite BMW color. I think my company only buys black ones.

It looks like Sunset Orange in the photographs but the color is actually Sakhir Orange. The paint contains gold flakes and it really pops in the sunlight.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288

@corvette said:
    Maybe it's just the lighting or angle, but the aspect ratio on the tires on that M4 looks to be near zero.

The wheels are 20”- 9” wide in the front, 10” in the rear; the OEM Competition package fitment.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The wheels are 20”- 9” wide in the front, 10” in the rear; the OEM Competition package fitment.

A website I found says they have an aspect ratio of 30--I was thinking 25 or 30 from the photo!
    Trip is about 600 miles. Car has an iffy cooling system and 14 year old tires.
    Explorer is rated to tow 5300 lbs. UHaul trailer weighs 2200 and car is about 3500, so over the limit.
    It could do it, but not legally.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582

Congrats to @jpp75 on his auction. Good stuff. And thanks for letting me put a few miles on it, too.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

Oh, wow, great result on a great driving truck. I had no idea it had 800+ HP when I drove it. Thanks for the test drive, also! Hope you get to smoke the tires a couple more times before it goes to its new owner.

Explorer is rated to tow 5300 lbs. UHaul trailer weighs 2200 and car is about 3500, so over the limit.

jmonroe
    I don't think UHaul is going to let that fly.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    Farmer, I told you to order a no option Maverick XL back when you still could. Try again in August. won't be quite as cheap though.

Explorer, another reason to pull the trigger on an F150. can use that to tow the Mustang and save some of the cost back!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I’ve done 600 miles in a day at work but not if the vehicle will overheat.

My Corvette would start to overheat in traffic on a hot day but was fine cruising at highway speeds. What do you think, partially clogged radiator?

tifighter said:

Congrats to @jpp75 on his auction. Good stuff. And thanks for letting me put a few miles on it, too.

seems to be the going price. BaT had a couple like it just end at 119,000 so market seems clear.

stickguy said:

Farmer, I told you to order a no option Maverick XL back when you still could. Try again in August. won't be quite as cheap though.

Explorer, another reason to pull the trigger on an F150. can use that to tow the Mustang and save some of the cost back!

If they made it with a standard cab and a 6 foot bed I might pull the trigger but a guy at work just got one and it had a $2k ADM.

I just can’t bring myself to get taken like that.

I don't remember when you said the house would be ready. I'll be down at our Ohio place for about five-six weeks in Aug/Sept. I'd be happy to have an excuse to make a quick trip and haul it for you at cost of fuel. Granted, nowadays, that's still spendy if fuel keeps trending this direction, but I'm sure it's not $800+ for under 1,200 miles.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359

@xwesx said:
    I don't remember when you said the house would be ready. I'll be down at our Ohio place for about five-six weeks in Aug/Sept. I'd be happy to have an excuse to make a quick trip and haul it for you at cost of fuel. Granted, nowadays, that's still spendy if fuel keeps trending this direction, but I'm sure it's not $800+ for under 1,200 miles.

And he’ll probably fix the iffy cooling system when he gets it there!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359

@xwesx said:

Wow! That’s an incredibly generous offer of your time.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

stickguy said:

If they made it with a standard cab and a 6 foot bed I might pull the trigger but a guy at work just got one and it had a $2k ADM.

most dealers are selling orders at MSRP. buying out of stock, prices vary quite a bit.

can't help you with the smaller bed! I doubt they are ever making a standard cab long bed though. I would not mind a cab and a half like the old ranger, with an extra foot in the bed though.

I keep seeing VW ads that tout lower cost of maintenance than Toyota, Honda, and Subaru. Honda and Subaru, I understand (VW gives you 2 years/20k of free maintenance and those don't), but Toyota also includes 2 years/25k of maintenance, so I'm not sure how VW is cheaper than free over a longer mileage period?
    Here's one for old farmer. An old school poverty worktruck special!

I never knew these came in a manual. If I did not already have a truck, I would take a look at it. But if somebody else wanted it, would be happy to do a recon!

https://www.royalmotorsnj.com/details-2015-chevrolet-colorado-2wd_ext_cab_128_3_-used-1gchs1ea0f1215868.html

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

I found another M4 Comp; a 2019 one owner with 24k miles and a full dealer service history. The price is borderline reasonable. Might check it out next weekend.

I really like the color!
    jmonroe1 said:

@graphicguy said:

I really like the color!

————————————————

Yes, that is a nice color.

I have an idea. Since you live relatively close, go over there and buy it out from under him. That otta teach him a lesson not to dilly-dally about buying when the price is good enough; especially these days.

jmonroe

I like the idea….except, RB has legal clout. If I did that, I’d probably have to change my name and wear hoodies to hide my identity.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

I found another M4 Comp; a 2019 one owner with 24k miles and a full dealer service history. The price is borderline reasonable. Might check it out next weekend.

I really like the color!
    jmonroe1 said:

@graphicguy said:

I really like the color!

————————————————

Yes, that is a nice color.

I have an idea. Since you live relatively close, go over there and buy it out from under him. That otta teach him a lesson not to dilly-dally about buying when the price is good enough; especially these days.

jmonroe

I like the idea….except, RB has legal clout. If I did that, I’d probably have to change my name and wear hoodies to hide my identity.
    ————————————————-
    You’ve gotta think of what that will do for your status in here. We’ll do everything we can to protect you. o:)

jmonroe
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

stickguy said:

I understand your feelings about being taken, I have some of the same thoughts myself. But based on what I have seen / read, this story doesn't quite sound right. Before they closed the orders for 2022 models, there were at least 2 Ford dealers nearby who would place an order at MSRP, no markup.

Locally, no models (zero, zip, zilch) ever showed up on dealer lots for sale. And from what I've read, any that did show up (in other locales) were priced way above MSRP, as in only $2k markup would be an absolute fantastic unheard of bargain.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863

@oldfarmer50 , shiply.com has gotten me the best rates. Just pick someone with good feedback already. And you have to give it at least 24 hrs to wait for bids to drop. They always start high hoping you’ll jump on one too soon.

For towing, you can also rent a dolly that gives you far more leeway with the weight. Of course they’ll tell you that you can only tow a FWD car that way, but that’s BS. Either tow it backwards with the steering locked OR remove the driveshaft and tow it front wheels up.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Is it Corvette with the Maverick order? In case you haven’t been scheduled yet (and these days you have to call dealer or Ford to find out, they don’t automatically tell you). I’m fine with it, as long as I can make config changes and get put at head of the line!

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/this-is-the-e-mail-coming-at-3pm-today-6-29-to-unscheduled-order-holders.17098/

edited June 2022
    Thanks, @stickguy ! Yes, mine is unscheduled, so far as I know. Granger Ford says their dealership received 58 allocations for June but only one has been assigned a VIN.

Weirdly, the alleged email does not promise that you will receive priority if you convert to a 2023 order.
    nyccarguy said:

Wow! That’s an incredibly generous offer of your time.

This kind of stuff is both fun and satisfying for me. Heck, I drove that far just to pick up my trailer (in NC) last summer!

Anyway, @explorerx4 , if you're interested and the timing works, just reach out. We can coordinate it privately. My Q7 is fully prepped for towing and won't have any problem pulling your Mustang on a U-Haul carrier. I even have my EZpass units (one for trailer and one without!) on standby, and lord knows they don't get much use.... :D

corvette said:

Thanks, @stickguy ! Yes, mine is unscheduled, so far as I know. Granger Ford says their dealership received 58 allocations for June but only one has been assigned a VIN.

Weirdly, the alleged email does not promise that you will receive priority if you convert to a 2023 order.

That's the one hiccup I see with it as well. Anyone holding a 22 reservation that converts should get BOTH the discount AND priority build.
    I got the email, but Gmail, in its infinite wisdom, put it in my spam folder. The other Ford emails have come through fine.
    I just got it too. Ford is not great about saying things clearly. But expectations from experts is that they will be doing something to prioritize. either somehow linking the orders to carry over the old order date, or giving us an earlier window (so they can track them that way).

in any case, I highly doubt I am seeing my hybrid before Christmas at this point. but nobody really knows at this point. I just hope I can switch trim levels and get a Lariat instead of XLT (unless they add features I want to the XLT I have on order).

I am going in for an oil change Friday to the dealer I bought it at, so will wander over and talk to a sales manager though entirely possible they have no clue yet either.

stickguy said:

Here's one for old farmer. An old school poverty worktruck special!

I never knew these came in a manual. If I did not already have a truck, I would take a look at it. But if somebody else wanted it, would be happy to do a recon!

https://www.royalmotorsnj.com/details-2015-chevrolet-colorado-2wd_ext_cab_128_3_-used-1gchs1ea0f1215868.html

Actually that’s not bad. I see some much older Rangers go for a lot more. I can’t remember if I ever drove a Colorado at work but a former coworker traded a big F-250 in on one.

corvette said:

————————————————-
    Geeze, some guys want everything. They said you get some sort of a discount. Are you hoping for a promise to go to the head of the line for the 2023 model if you decide to go that route AND get a discount. If so let us know how that goes. :'(

Good luck.

jmonroe
    Yes we get both. Saw it confirmed that orders just roll over and keep original date. Mines already been in for 8 months. Can easily hit 14-15 by the time it arrives!

Pricing doesn’t carry over. The kickback from ford is basically intended to offset that.

@xwesx,
    That is an extremely generous offer on your part.
    I don't yet have a firm date on when our new house will close, so it's tough to plan anything.
    Our current house should close in about 6 weeks.
    A U-Haul double axle car carrier is about $500 one way.
    Just for you to drive form Erie to Farmington to North Ridgeville and back to Erie is at least 1200 miles.
    Even at 20 mpg, with diesel about $6 a gallon, that's over $350 in fuel costs.
    Of course, that would be totally inadequate recompense for your effort.
    I'm going to get some more shipping quotes as things firm up.