Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    it was originally supposed to go into the Mazda6 sedan replacement, though IIRC that has been shelved. I assume they will find something else to use it in eventually. Though nothing in the current model lineup is likely to fit it. I also did not notice if they are installing in longitudinal or transverse. If N-S it would need a different design chassis.

after reading the article it seems like the standard 4 is a better option. Probably a lot cheaper, smaller, and only about 40 HP less with the same torque output as the 6. and likely better MPG.

If Mazda really wants to make a splash, stretch out the Miata platform and stick the big 6 in there, and recreate the Jag E-type (or Austin Healey 3000)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

I see some ahem interesting vehicles near where I work.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

if my wife's car failed like that, I am almost positive I would be told she no longer wants it (or at least trusts it) so would be instructed to do something about it.

at least, it would have when she actually drove anywhere.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    stickguy said:

after reading the article it seems like the standard 4 is a better option. Probably a lot cheaper, smaller, and only about 40 HP less with the same torque output as the 6. and likely better MPG.

The article I read said 323 HP vs. 340 HP, and 369 lb-ft on both, which makes you wonder why they even bothered with two engine options. Perhaps all will be revealed once we see some road tests.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    corvette said:

stickguy said:

The article I read said 323 HP vs. 340 HP, and 369 lb-ft on both, which makes you wonder why they even bothered with two engine options. Perhaps all will be revealed once we see some road tests.
    I'm thinking there are a contingent pool of customers that would rather have the 6, regardless.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited January 2023
    Not that I will keep it that long, but going through my selling dealer, the highest coverage Ford extended warranty is around $2,000 to $2,500 (depending upon the deductible) for 10 years/100k miles, if you wait until close to the OE warranty expiration to buy it. That will pay for a lot of preventative maintenance like PTU and transmission fluid changes every 50k or so, but then you read about issues like the heater box failures on the early current-gen Rangers, which cost an arm and a leg to repair, and doing maintenance won't avoid.

GM used to charge a very large premium for vehicles as they got closer to the expiration of the 3 years/36k, because there was (and probably still is) a lot of selection bias at play. People who have had a lot of problems for a couple of years, either because their vehicle is an anomaly or they just complain about everything, are more likely to buy the warranty shortly before the B2B expires if they plan to keep the vehicle.
    Michaell said:

I'm thinking there are a contingent pool of customers that would rather have the 6, regardless.

Probably true. Was the current CX-9 panned for only offering a four?
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    mlevine said:

I have a 9 year old vehicle that is acting up. Leaking oil from turbo and no warranty. Looking to sell car or trade in for another car. Problem is inventory is still poor, can't get at MRSP due to dealer fees and other fees added on. May be looking at preowned car with ability to purchase extended warranty.

What is the car and mileage? Have you had any estimates for repair? Any vehicles in mind to buy?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    At least $1,000 for turbo leak but you never know what you find once you open the lid. Needs motor mounts another $1,000. The car is a MB 250 sport 2014 preowned with 67,000 miles on it. The 1.8 liter engine I believe is a problem for MB in the past. Car is worth about $9,000 to $10,000. Car has backup camera that is okay. No safety features such as blind spot, parking senses, and lane departure.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

@oldfarmer50,
    We bought it new and It's still under extended warranty, so I figured I wouldn't get charged for the diagnosis. I thought about going to Autozone to have the codes read.
    If the claim is denied then we would have to pay.
    We changed the oil at the dealer every 5k but sometimes things just break.
    Wife just asked me if I looked at the Corsair she likes while I was there.

Thanks, I’ve read that turbos are sensitive to negligent oil changes and wondered if you were suffering from a previous owner’s neglect.

I’ve never owned a turbo Ford.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

mlevine said:

I have a 9 year old vehicle that is acting up. Leaking oil from turbo and no warranty. Looking to sell car or trade in for another car. Problem is inventory is still poor, can't get at MRSP due to dealer fees and other fees added on. May be looking at preowned car with ability to purchase extended warranty.

You’ll probably take a bath on trade with a leaking turbo. Clouds of smoke are a big turnoff. What would it cost to fix vs the value of the car?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Do not see clouds of smoke but the MB 250 2014 is known for turbo leaks. I suspect to fix the car to include turbo leak, motor mounts, and I am sure other issues the dealer will tell you needs done would probbaly cost about $4,000. I have an independent mechanic who did some work on the car but will not touch turbo as it is a headache. He told me take to dealer if you want it fixed. He also said the MB C250 turbo engines (1.8 L) have alot of problems. I think at 9 years old it may be time to move on.
    I would at least shop it to see what could come up with. Likely that once you open the can of worms pulling the turbo, you will find a lot of other "while you are in there" dead worms.

I look at it in terms of LT goal. if you want to keep the car a long time (many more years), then commit all-in and do everything it needs to get back to like new. if you aren't planning to keep it, cut and run. especially if you are paying a shop to do the labor.

I thought the car would at least last to about 100,000 miles. I forgot to mention that the fuel pump went on the car. Was lucky MB covered this 10 years or 100,000 miles which ever came first. The problem with repairs is the labor not necessarily the parts.
    Parts are generally cheap, but the standard markup at a repair shop is 2-3x what you or I could buy them for, to help cover their overhead.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    We're both at the 8 year mark on our Audi & VW now with mine acting fine right now but hers haven't a slow oil leak. Seems to need to be topped off every so often so she stops by the Audi store for them to "top it off". Don't think she wants to spend a whole lot of money on it but with the current market, not sure she wants to buy something new quite yet. Doubt she'll get another German product so it's either Korean or Japanese going forward. The Kia Forte would be the perfect vehicle for her and what she would've had now if I hadn't mentioned the Audi A3 to her.
    As for me, want o check out the new Corolla Cross Hybrid when it comes out. Think it'll give me what I'm looking for to be honest. And with the amount of miles I've been driving, will take me over 10 years to even get to 40K.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    nyccarguy said:

I see some ahem interesting vehicles near where I work.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Sandman6472
    Switching from German to Korean or Japanese products may not be as easy. The ride is very different. I have driven many cars/SUV/ and trucks for the past 6 years for rentals as I travel for work. Vehicles I thought were nice after driving them I changed my mine.
    Sandy works for a car rental company. He drives more cars in a day than most drive in a lifetime.

Hands down Sandy has more experience with drives of various vehicles.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Michaell said:

mlevine said:

At least $1,000 for turbo leak but you never know what you find once you open the lid. Needs motor mounts another $1,000. The car is a MB 250 sport 2014 preowned with 67,000 miles on it. The 1.8 liter engine I believe is a problem for MB in the past. Car is worth about $9,000 to $10,000. Car has backup camera that is okay. No safety features such as blind spot, parking senses, and lane departure.

Maybe you could sell it to @driver100 - he's in Florida and his 250 doesn't have the backup cam.

Time to cut it loose and find something newer. I've heard used car prices are starting to soften.
    He still has that car?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    edited February 2023

@nyccarguy said:
    He still has that car?

And still crying about the backup camera. Three days worth last week. Apparently Mercedes doesn’t use the 12V common ground system and relies on magic to conduct electricity and no shop will install one 😎

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    I just got an email from Carvana - apparently, the offer on my Outback has decresed $3500 since I last requested one.

Another data point in favor of softening used car prices.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,220

@au1994 said:
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Mickey Mouse ear speaker array

@tjc78 said:

@nyccarguy said:
    He still has that car?

And still crying about the backup camera. Three days worth last week. Apparently Mercedes doesn’t use the 12V common ground system and relies on magic to conduct electricity and no shop will install one 😎

That other one is factory MB wired so probably a no go😂

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    corvette said:

Parts are generally cheap, but the standard markup at a repair shop is 2-3x what you or I could buy them for, to help cover their overhead.

It's not quite that bad. Here is a suggested "Markup Matrix" from AllData.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    edited February 2023
    One time, I was in a tire shop to get a flat fixed and they quoted me for a new tire.
    The counter person I'm dealing with is on the phone and asks "How much?, 78.".
    He scribbles on a pad then looks at me and says 119(50% markup).
    I didn't think I needed a new tire, so I went to another place who patched it.
    Regarding my wife's car, the Service Manager just called and said claim was approved.
    Now needs to order parts and schedule the turbo replacement.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

Anyone want a BMW Z3 MCoupe clownshoe?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3pBGpxmY/1999-bmw-z3-m-coupe

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    mjfloyd1 said:
    That is a 240 HP model year... but, yes, I still want it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

never saw one of those in black before. Really does it no favors. But I still like those, and 240 is plenty of power for me in something that size, with a manual trans to have fun using it!

Those clown shoes are not the most attractive cars in any color (or lack of color)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    mjfloyd1 said:

Those clown shoes are not the most attractive cars in any color (or lack of color)

It grows on you... like a fungus.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    mjfloyd1 said:
    Yes. But not at C&B prices.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I was looking at subaru forester, Kia K5, RAV 4, and tacoma. Forester a lot of money and under powered engine. Kia K5 not many around and get MRSP plus. RAV 4 XLE AWD and safety package can get at MRSP but wait is 6 to 8 months. Tacoma with AWD and safety package 3 vehicle coming in over the next 90 days with 2 possible already spoken for and maybe MRSP. Now possible MC C300 2019 or 2020 is a possibility and all cheaper than above. C300 has 2 years of warranty and 3rd CPO warranty. Leaning towards C300 but open to suggestions. The car process is very challenging and annoying today.
    edited February 2023

@kyfdx said:
    It grows on you... like a fungus.

Like plaid seats?😂

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    Clicking on those links always send me down the rabbit hole.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    Here's another rabbit hole. Who knows what money this brings, but you'll always get the nods at your local Cars and Coffee.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

tifighter said:

Here's another rabbit hole. Who knows what money this brings, but you'll always get the nods at your local Cars and Coffee.

Those were handsome cars.

mlevine said:

I was looking at subaru forester, Kia K5, RAV 4, and tacoma. Forester a lot of money and under powered engine. Kia K5 not many around and get MRSP plus. RAV 4 XLE AWD and safety package can get at MRSP but wait is 6 to 8 months. Tacoma with AWD and safety package 3 vehicle coming in over the next 90 days with 2 possible already spoken for and maybe MRSP. Now possible MC C300 2019 or 2020 is a possibility and all cheaper than above. C300 has 2 years of warranty and 3rd CPO warranty. Leaning towards C300 but open to suggestions. The car process is very challenging and annoying today.

Not sure where you are but inventories around here are picking up. The Subaru is a lot of car for the money when you stack up the features compared to others. But yes, it is pokey. Taco seating position is a little flat which can bother some.

If you are looking for cheap to keep, avoid the MB. But you knew that already.

out of those choices, if I did not need a truck, I would get the C300 and treat myself!

I wish leasing rates were better. I exclusively leased my cars in the past. The C250 was the first car in awhile that was a purchase. Next was lease buy out of a GLE. Next was off lease E class. I am tired of buying cars but 2 to 3 year old off lease vehicles make sense. New vehicles are MRSP +.
    those Cressidas were nice cars back in the day. Well built and over-engineered. But a bit dated at this point. Cool digital dash though (as long as you don't have to try and repair it!)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    stickguy said:

out of those choices, if I did not need a truck, I would get the C300 and treat myself!

Just make sure it has a factory backup camera. I hear those are hard to add via the aftermarket. 🤣

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    mlevine said:

You might want to check out the Nissan Frontier as an alternative to that Taco. Around here, the dealers seem to have some actual stock, and if their web sites are to be believed, they are selling at a few hundred below MSRP.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    it is my son that is attempting to get a new vehicle. It is about payment. Leaning towards preowned C class with 3 to 4 year warranty. Then sell it after warranty expires.
    xwesx said:

I had a fun time on Monday night. I came across a disabled Challenger (stuck in the snow bank on the side of the road, but still sticking out into/near the drive lane) and stopped to see if I could help the driver recover it. Crazy thing, though, because, while it had just happened, there was nobody around.

One thing leads to another, and I decided to call it in so there was less risk of another driver hitting it due to the location and it being a somewhat snowy light with diminished visibility. Turns out, it was a stolen car. Troopers arrived with guns drawn (literally). But, good outcome because they got the car back and caught the perp (at least, were well on their way to doing so by the time I was back on my way).

Sadly, I never did get to do a recovery that night (at least not with my equipment!).

You’re lucky somebody didn’t spring out of the shadows and take your car.

edited February 2023
    mlevine said:

RAV 4 XLE AWD and safety package can get at MRSP but wait is 6 to 8 months. Tacoma with AWD and safety package 3 vehicle coming in over the next 90 days with 2 possible already spoken for and maybe MRSP. Now possible MC C300 2019 or 2020 is a possibility and all cheaper than above. C300 has 2 years of warranty and 3rd CPO warranty. Leaning towards C300 but open to suggestions. The car process is very challenging and annoying today.

Where is your son located and how far is he willing to travel to get a decent deal? There is a broker on Leasehackr who can easily get either of those Toyotas, and he works with a handful of dealers, mostly along the east coast. I'd probably spring for the hybrid on the RAV4, which is also widely available, last I checked, and I want to say it's only $1-2k more than the non-hybrid.

I also suspect you can get those other vehicles at a decent price, but he may have to do some calling around and travel in order to achieve that.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Anyone want a BMW Z3 MCoupe clownshoe?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3pBGpxmY/1999-bmw-z3-m-coupe

————————————————-
    Hey Lucy, are those Ricky seats? Or optional Ricaro’s?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)