Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    4 months on the MB C250 is to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Tacoma with AWD and safety features would be a build and anywhere from 3 to 4 months to complete the build. Thanks for comments on Gladiator. Grand Cherokee has great lease deals at this time. Gladiator not so. I think by my research and help on this forum that the Tacoma may deals are also not good. I may be able to get a C300 certified 2020 for a good deal.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,937
    The weather was a little better today but a bit chilly to enable me to do a Sunday browsing of new car lots. The Cadillac dealer inventory was very thin, worse than what I’ve seen in a while. VW had a number of Taos, Tiguan, Atlas, ID.4. Some of the ID.4s were built in the Tennessee plant. At Honda they had the new CR-V, Pilot, both marked up 5k. Looks like they got a final run of Accord Sports before the new model comes out. They only had the customary window tint, wheel locks, nitrogen add on, total price around $31k. Next to the Accords a number of Civic Sports marked up around $5k making them $31-32k!! If I was in the market it would be no contest, the Accord instead of the Civic at those prices.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

I like the Gladiator least of any of them. It is cramped inside, rides like a truck and has a small bed. I think any small pickup like a Tacoma or Ranger would be better and cheaper.

Interesting side note on the Ranger. Yesterday, in a parking lot, I walked by a brand new Ford Ranger, XLT, 4WD, crew cab in a very pretty green color. And one space over was a 3 or 4 year old F150, crew cab. They were situated perfectly, with one empty space in between, so that I could stand there and look back and forth, comparing the two. I haven't bothered to look up the numbers, but they looked very similar in size. I would venture to say that Ranger is as big, or bigger, than the 2000 F150 I owned back in 2000.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,564
    henryn said:

I like the Gladiator least of any of them. It is cramped inside, rides like a truck and has a small bed. I think any small pickup like a Tacoma or Ranger would be better and cheaper.

Interesting side note on the Ranger. Yesterday, in a parking lot, I walked by a brand new Ford Ranger, XLT, 4WD, crew cab in a very pretty green color. And one space over was a 3 or 4 year old F150, crew cab. They were situated perfectly, with one empty space in between, so that I could stand there and look back and forth, comparing the two. I haven't bothered to look up the numbers, but they looked very similar in size. I would venture to say that Ranger is as big, or bigger, than the 2000 F150 I owned back in 2000.

Yeah, the current Ranger is really big but the Tacoma, Chevys and even the Frontier have grown in size too. My old 86’ SR5 would be tiny in comparison to a current Toco. The cost has gone up too. A Ranger that you’d find on a dealer’s lot is at least $35k.

I was comparing 12-16 year old F-150s to similar year Rangers and the prices were pretty much the same. Go figure because you are arguably getting more truck for the same money.

I wish they would make a regular cab Maverick with at least a 6 foot bed. I might be a buyer.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,358
    sda said:

The new Pilot

Pretty nice. They’ll sell a ton. Provided they can get them, of course.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I scrolled by the first set of pictures and thought it was a Hyundai.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

henryn said:

Yeah, the current Ranger is really big but the Tacoma, Chevys and even the Frontier have grown in size too. My old 86’ SR5 would be tiny in comparison to a current Toco. The cost has gone up too. A Ranger that you’d find on a dealer’s lot is at least $35k.

I was comparing 12-16 year old F-150s to similar year Rangers and the prices were pretty much the same. Go figure because you are arguably getting more truck for the same money.

I wish they would make a regular cab Maverick with at least a 6 foot bed. I might be a buyer.
    Only if you're willing to wait 1 to 3 years for delivery.

On second thought, change that upper limit from 3 years to infinity.
    henryn said:

henryn said:

Only if you're willing to wait 1 to 3 years for delivery.

On second thought, change that upper limit from 3 years to infinity.
    I’m afraid that to get any truck with a regular cab will be a long wait.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    I believe I saw one of those pilots on the road today. only got a quick look at the back and did not recognize it, but it looked just like that one.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032

I scrolled by the first set of pictures and thought it was a Hyundai.

It looks pretty generic, but most SUVs look pretty similar.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    sda said:

The new Pilot

Those rear pillars look thick, I bet the window is a lot smaller on the inside. Blind spot mobile.

Little notches and kinks and beltline upkicks amuse me - we need character!

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    edited February 2023
    I saw a new Frontier Pro-4X in a parking lot today. I liked the size and the styling- but not nearly enough to give up the Wrangler.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

This is what I imagine a normal day at QB motors is like.

https://youtube.com/shorts/haWxPZcnhNM?feature=share

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592

I recently drove BMW iX. AMA…

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    tifighter said:

Thoughts?

I can't get past the looks, personally.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    The Double Edsel grille.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    Oh yeah Lexus? Watch this.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592

tifighter said:

Thoughts?

You can't see it from the inside, I guess.

The good: It drives well, has great ride quality, and is super quiet. Nice seats. Interior is very nice. And you're getting a car that can do 3 miles/kWh and has a 105 kWh battery, so it's a box that gets a legit 300 mile range.

The bad: iDrive 8 is bonkers complicated. The cargo space given the footprint is disappointing. Long hood has no frunk.

The ugly: well, duh. Although I think it looks good from the back.

The indifferent: Mostly priced in the 90s. It's a lot, but should be about right given the battery size and positioning. It's cheaper than a Model X. Problem is that it's a lot smaller inside than a X. It's nearly X footprint with Y interior space.

Anyhow, there's a year wait on new orders, so someone must be buying them.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,225

@tifighter said:

The good: It drives well, has great ride quality, and is super quiet. Nice seats. Interior is very nice. And you're getting a car that can do 3 miles/kWh and has a 105 kWh battery, so it's a box that gets a legit 300 mile range.

The bad: iDrive 8 is bonkers complicated. The cargo space given the footprint is disappointing. Long hood has no frunk.

The indifferent: Mostly priced in the 90s. It's a lot, but should be about right given the battery size and positioning. It's cheaper than a Model X. Problem is that it's a lot smaller inside than a X. It's nearly X footprint with Y interior space.

Leasehackr broker has an iX premium at 9% off the MSRP (88900 ish MSRP)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Think I replaced the plugs in my Golf last year, was a bit late but finally got it done. Took the car to the car wash today and when I got home, finished cleaning the alloys as there was still some brake dust on the right front/rear. I've got the 17" rims from a 2016 Jetta SEL, the 15 spoke ones which give the Golf a more dressed up look. I had only like 5 minutes back in 2015, a few weeks after I bought it, to decide between the 15 spoke wheels and the 10 spoke ones. Both looked really good but went with the 15 spoke ones found on the SEL models. Over the years, have gotten many compliments on how nice the vehicle looks with those rims and the color combo.
    Still puts that sh-t eating grin on my face whenever I see it! Thus the reason it's still in our garage!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

We got a bunch of the new Nissan Frontier trucks at work and I like them better than the Tacoma truth be told. Looks nicer, has a much improved interior and drives great. My co-worker got one also, a base model without the fancier rims that Enterprise got. He likes his a lot & got a great price on it. Those 4-cylinder Tacoma's are a real dog and can't get out of their own way. Since we haven't gotten any maverick's yet, can't comment on those but if I needed a smaller truck right now, I'd definitely go with a Nissan Frontier.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Just got back from BJ's as the Audi needed petrol, paid $3.34 with just using my membership charge card. Have been trying to get a regular BJ's c c but they are changing banks it seems so no new c c's being done yet. Having one would save an additional price on their petrol. The sweet spots seem to be when they open at 6:16 am and 8 pm, much less traffic & Friday & today, I just pulled up to an empty pump and filled up. Glad I got that email about a reduced membership price when I did, though I got a better one just before my kid's card ended. One has to jump eventually so I did & not sorry one bit. Don't buy a lot there, mostly petrol, but nice to know they have certain things in bulk that we all use at a decent price. And since they are right up the street and super close to where I leave my vehicle for work, a win/win for us all. Haven't been back to Cumberland arms since December! Cheaper petrol and closer to the house/work.

I like the Nissan Frontier trucks, but I just don't fit very well. Not enough headroom. I can drive one, but I have to recline the seat much farther than I like to clear my head. In regular cab older models, the seat didn't really recline so I had to slouch and tilt my head down, not comfortable at all. These days, they don't seem to make any regular cab models, or they never show up at the dealerships around here. Nissan does have a super cab (cab and a half) model, as does Dodge, and you can sometimes find one. Ford and Chevy never have super cab models, they didn't even stock those before the present shortages came around. These days you only find crew cab models, and very few of those.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,155
    A neighbor around the corner from me has a new Frontier, king cab (cab and a half).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    Could deal with an extended cab on a full size truck. On the midsize/compact trucks, the crew cab is a requirement. If you disagree, the doggo will explain her need for personal space.
    When I was thinking of buying one back in 2021 (when the current design had just come out, and they had great lease deals) I took a test drive. Seem to recall it had tons of room, including headroom. even with a moonroof. It was a big truck, at least to me!

it was a full 4 door. most around are, but they do make a cab and a half with a longer bed (both are the same length, just swapping 1-1.5' of cab for bed length). Definitely drove like a truck, not my Maverick which drives like a car/crossover.

there is a kingcab that lives next town from me that I pass when I go to Aldis. So I know some exist!

much, much bigger than my 1991 Nissan king cab!

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

Thoughts?

A defense attorney I deal with a lot has had an is on order for months and the delivery date keeps getting rolled back. He is close to cancelling his order.
    As for IDrive 8, not only is it a step backwards in overall usability, but Munich has also moved several physical buttons and switches to the touchscreen. Yet another reason I have absolutely no regrets about picking the C43 over the M340i and the M240i.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Sandman6472
    Was the forntier 4 or 6 cylinder?

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

Thoughts?

A defense attorney I deal with a lot has had an is on order for months and the delivery date keeps getting rolled back. He is close to cancelling his order.
    As for IDrive 8, not only is it a step backwards in overall usability, but Munich has also moved several physical buttons and switches to the touchscreen. Yet another reason I have absolutely no regrets about picking the C43 over the M340i and the M240i.
    The only button left is the radio volume knob. :/ After a month there are a few things I'm still trying to find.

The new Frontier only has the 3.8l V6 now. The 4 banger would be way overmatched I think.

I assume Sandy was driving the latest model that came out for MY 2022. Could I suppose have been a prior version which went back to somewhere in the stone age (2005ish?) That came with the big 4 option.

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,238
    In today's episode of "books don't buy cars," for ad valorem tax purposes, the PVA valued my Maverick at $31,550, which is almost $6,000 over its MSRP and over $9,000 more than the price I bought it for. :s I submitted an appeal, but I think the relief they provided last year due to rising used vehicle prices was temporary and doesn't apply in 2023.
    venture said:

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

Thoughts?

The only button left is the radio volume knob. :/ After a month there are a few things I'm still trying to find.
    The C43 has physical buttons/switches for radio volume, the HVAC fan and temperature, seat heating, suspension modes, and exhaust volume. There are additional redundant controls on the steering wheel.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    edited February 2023
    @corvette I think you're right. That was a one-time thing for 2022.

Of course, on the used market, that price might be correct. :/

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

venture said:

tifighter said:

tifighter said:

Thoughts?

The C43 has physical buttons/switches for radio volume, the HVAC fan and temperature, seat heating, suspension modes, and exhaust volume. There are additional redundant controls on the steering wheel.
    That's about what my (retired) Legacy had, maybe a few more, but they were not intrusive or too many to become confusing. Many manufacturers saw the error in their ways and started putting some actual buttons, or switches, back on.

Love him or hate him, I think Peter M. DeLorenzo's analysis of BMW's brand image is spot on:

"BMW is just another car company cranking out SUVs and crossovers because, well, that’s what it is now and that’s what this business has become. Fold-in the brand’s constantly increasing prices, and you have a giant Wiener schnitzel of Not Good. Do any of these parameters change with BMW’s aggressive push into electrification? No, because all of the aforementioned negatives are not only present and accounted for when electrified, they’re exacerbated. BMW’s brand image is boneless, lost in a choking haze of profitability over integrity, and there’s no point wishing that somehow this will change."

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I’ve taken two test drives in the iX and came away impressed with the drive as well. It remains on the list for my next EV, along with the Rivian R1S and Polestar 3. I like the size of the iX and its wagon-like profile. I don’t know if anyone actually likes the grill, but it’s one of those where the right color helps.

I’ve been keeping a casual eye on the used market of the iX. I suspect it will be a vehicle that some buyers are excited to get as the newest BMW, but if it’s their first EV, they may find themselves retreating back to a good old X5 or X7. Small sample, but nationwide, there are plenty of used iX’s in the $80k’s and even one that broke into the $70k’s. The used market seems to be normalizing again, where high-end luxury vehicles take the biggest hits.

The R1S is probably more than I want as my daily EV. The Polestar 3 is likely the sweet spot…better styling than the BMW but still with a wagon-like profile.

Or…I may still go the Ioniq 5 route.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Love him or hate him, I think Peter M. DeLorenzo's analysis of BMW's brand image is spot on:

"BMW is just another car company cranking out SUVs and crossovers because, well, that’s what it is now and that’s what this business has become. Fold-in the brand’s constantly increasing prices, and you have a giant Wiener schnitzel of Not Good. Do any of these parameters change with BMW’s aggressive push into electrification? No, because all of the aforementioned negatives are not only present and accounted for when electrified, they’re exacerbated. BMW’s brand image is boneless, lost in a choking haze of profitability over integrity, and there’s no point wishing that somehow this will change."

"profitability over integrity".

True for many (most) businesses now, unfortunately. I still don't subscribe to the Greed is Good following. Almost everything that has gone wrong, over time, can be traced back to greed.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    edited February 2023

I don't know who that is, but he is late to the party. This is why I stopped looking at their new vehicles 4 years ago. (has it been that long?? I think so! good grief)

But several manufacturers fall into this category. Nissan lost their mojo like a decade ago, or maybe it was a couple of decades ago, I have lost track. Toyota? Ha! Remember when the Supra, MR2, body-on-frame compact trucks, Celica, and even Corolla turbo all graced their lineup around the same time? Those were the days. Sigh.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

venture said:

"profitability over integrity".

True for many (most) businesses now, unfortunately. I still don't subscribe to the Greed is Good following. Almost everything that has gone wrong, over time, can be traced back to greed.
    I also think that this Car and Driver quote from the October 2017 is prescient with respect to BMW in general.

"The M550i was an excellent opportunity to create a wingman to the M5, a driver-focused lesser model in the spirit of the Mercedes-AMG E43. The M550i isn’t that. It’s a very fast 5-series with an M badge rather than something that BMW’s longer-serving fans would recognize as a real M car."

I haven't read DeLorenzo's AutoExtemist in years but even back then he referred to BMW as German Chevy's.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

. . . BMW’s longer-serving fans . . .

Interesting choice of words, as in serving a sentence. It's over 15 years since I thought owning a BMW would be a good idea.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I think the M340 is a pretty incredible car. The X5 I had was nice as well, but not necessarily distinctive among luxury SUVs. I still find myself browsing used 8-series, since they seems to take a big hit quickly on the used market. According to one popular YT reviewer, it's the ultimate [non-permissible content removed] mobile.

Like @roadburner, my appreciation for the Mercedes brand has grown quickly over my ownership thus far of the E450 wagon. I'll still want an electric as my daily, but it's gonna be challenging to replace the comfort the Mercedes offers. Even through several Volvos and the upgraded seat option in my X5, these seats in the E450 are the most comfortable of them all.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,225

Does anyone think the hood and between the grilles stripe package looks good?

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    mjfloyd1 said:

Does anyone think the hood and between the grilles stripe package looks good?

————————————————
    Not too sure about the looks but I’ve heard it makes it go fast. o:)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    breld said:

I think the M340 is a pretty incredible car. The X5 I had was nice as well, but not necessarily distinctive among luxury SUVs. I still find myself browsing used 8-series, since they seems to take a big hit quickly on the used market. According to one popular YT reviewer, it's the ultimate [non-permissible content removed] mobile.

Like @roadburner, my appreciation for the Mercedes brand has grown quickly over my ownership thus far of the E450 wagon. I'll still want an electric as my daily, but it's gonna be challenging to replace the comfort the Mercedes offers. Even through several Volvos and the upgraded seat option in my X5, these seats in the E450 are the most comfortable of them all.

I don't dislike the M340i or M240i; they are very quick and they handle really well- but the C43 just feels more engaging and entertaining to drive. Driving dynamics aside, the C43 allows me to configure both displays to provide the information I want- not just what Munich thinks I want.

edited February 2023
    corvette said:

In today's episode of "books don't buy cars," for ad valorem tax purposes, the PVA valued my Maverick at $31,550, which is almost $6,000 over its MSRP and over $9,000 more than the price I bought it for. :s I submitted an appeal, but I think the relief they provided last year due to rising used vehicle prices was temporary and doesn't apply in 2023.

My brother who lives in MA has to pay personal property tax on his car. What a rip off. For all it’s faults NY only charges you a registration fee every two years based on weight which isn’t too bad. I think that’s rotten that the government takes advantage of inflation and shortage driven price hikes. Can’t you show them a buy bid from Harry’s Used Car Emporium and Nail Salon to help your appeal?

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221

corvette said:

My brother who lives in MA has to pay personal property tax on his car. What a rip off. For all it’s faults NY only charges you a registration fee every two years based on weight which isn’t too bad. I think that’s rotten that the government takes advantage of inflation and shortage driven price hikes. Can’t you show them a buy bid from Harry’s Used Car Emporium and Nail Salon to help your appeal?
    The entire state of KY uses the same database. No getting around it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator