Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396

@nyccarguy said:
    Nice job! What was the sticker on that bad boy? Dealerships are choking on cars. The Hyundai dealer in my town has rented out garage space in one of the malls to store brand new cars. Extra rent on top of their floor plan interest and other high overhead?

$38,015. It was a fairly loaded Limited.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    qbrozen said:

Had a surprise delivery this morn.

Ooh, great! Sounds like the auction place is staying true to form!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

So did you pay asking price on the Honda? And basically no cash changed hands? Maybe they threw you a couple hundred bucks after fees and DMV?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited February 20

Looked over the truck briefly just now. About as expected from photos. The outer bolts on the flares are for show. I was able to pull them enough from the body to get a look. There is some rust on the edges in the rear. So I’ll have to pull the flares, address the rust, and reinstall. The undercoat was definitely an afterthought. Seems like they likely sprayed it on without treating anything, which is a silly shame. For example, bottom of rocker edges sprayed but top of lip is still bare rust. Something I will address as well. Good news is the thin metal pieces underneath are still solid and strong, suggesting lots of life with some preventative measures.

Tonneau is a sectional folding type and liner appears high-quality. Only problem is the tailgate lock. It is not powered and I can’t find they key anywhere (it is unlocked). Guess I’ll be replacing that somehow.

2 fobs and 2 keys, but the fobs aren’t factory as far as I can tell, and what should be the remote start button does nothing.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    qbrozen said:

So did you pay asking price on the Honda? And basically no cash changed hands? Maybe they threw you a couple hundred bucks after fees and DMV?

That's how I read it as well

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    edited February 20
    qbrozen said:

Oh, I like it. Remind me of the details so I don’t have to scroll back and do it myself. Year, mileage, price?

Never mind, I got ambition and looked back. Nice for $6k.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Yeah, no doubt on the Silverado. Seems like a solid buy for the price, and makes me think how convenient it would be to have a pickup like that lives at the Ohio house.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    I would think the tailgate uses the same key as the ignition. My pickups didn't have a dedicated tailgate key.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396

I think that’s reasonable, @tifighter - and if the backstory is true, it probably wasn’t beat on. Congrats!

And @qbrozen - truck looks great for the $$!

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

That's how I read it as well
    Yes, you got it. I guess I wrote that strangely.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options

I think that’s reasonable, @tifighter - and if the backstory is true, it probably wasn’t beat on. Congrats!

Hopefully not. But at least it's under warranty for awhile. The M2 went out of warranty last year.

I was also curious how different these cars were in size-
    M2C
    Length 175.6"
    Width 73"
    Weight 3600lbs

CTR
    Length 180.9"
    Width 74"
    Weight 3188lbs

M3
    Length 189"
    Width 75"
    Weight 3800lbs

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566
    tifighter said:

qbrozen said:

So, can you help move some stuff over the weekend?
    ————————————————
    If you edit that to include free pizza and beer along with a drive in your new ride, he’d probably say yes.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Congrats tifighter. In a few months when the kid puts on some more weight, you'll probably be getting another SUV. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    edited February 20

@28firefighter said:

Probably wasn’t beaten on until the day before they traded it for a SUV😂

I stopped by the local Honda dealer. They had a type R in the showroom with a $7500 ADM. I must have long legs because there was absolutely no room for a rear passenger’s legs behind me.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

Local Saab mechanic posted this bad boy. I have absolutely no need for it, but I want it!!

Looks good on the outside, but the inside of those is a big let down as it's from your standard low-rent (rental fodder?) GM interior parts bin of the early part of the 21st Century.

Also, the turbo lag was big, but I only drove the auto.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

$38,015. It was a fairly loaded Limited.

I wish they still offered the Forester XT.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    That Mini Cooper CountrymanS loaner was still in the showroom on Monday morning. Was told it has about 5800 miles on the clock. No paperwork on the window so have no idea how much they're asking. It's white with a white roof over dark gray guts. I was drawn to it last week when I first saw it and the sales guy went to see how much they want for it. I had to leave & do another run, so he never got back to me. Wanted to go over last Wednesday or Thursday but since I wasn't feeling well, never got over there. Hope to go over either tomorrow or Thursday and take a test drive if it's still there. They also had a similar unit outside, white rood over a gray body but a dark interior. Am liking the Countryman more & more lately so think a test drive is in order.

Size wise, think we're good here. Really curious about the audio system in both units as I do like a nice system I don't have to mess with actually. Next, I'm gonna have to really love the way it drives. I can see myself in one of these for the next 9 to 10 years honestly and if I do actually go for a test drive, I'll be very surprised but this is the closest to even wanting to try since well, the end of 2014. If the drive goes well and the price is right, could work. Just hope the place isn't high pressure because that'll turn me off right away & I'll be out the door very fast! As much as I do love my Golf, think this could be the one!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    @qbrozen - the Silverado is a "punch" and not for resale, right?
  • Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

I stopped by the local Honda dealer. They had a tripe R in the showroom with a $7500 ADM. I must have long legs because there was absolutely no room for a rear passenger’s legs behind me.

Naw, that's just like old-school sedans!
  • Options

@mjfloyd1 said:

@28firefighter said:

I stopped by the local Honda dealer. They had a tripe R in the showroom with a $7500 ADM. I must have long legs because there was absolutely no room for a rear passenger’s legs behind me.

Then don’t sit in the other cars that were on my list - because the Civic has the most rear legroom by far.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I checked out the Si and regular Civic a couple of times. with the seat set so I could use the clutch, there was plenty of room behind me. So maybe the seat was just set way further back than you realized?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

They’re actually listing it for less than I thought-

Maybe looking for a quick turnaround versus maximum margin…

• Options
    must be because of that auto shift manual option.

• Options
    edited February 20

@stickguy said:
    must be because of that auto shift manual option.

Yeah I saw that and thought what the heck? Maybe they mean it has auto rev match? Silly.

• Options
    more likely, whoever puts the ads in never expects to see an old school stick so they "automatically" put in something else!

• Options

@tifighter said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

@28firefighter said:

Then don’t sit in the other cars that were on my list - because the Civic has the most rear legroom by far.

Not a problem. The only one I’d consider performance wise is the M3 and I can’t get over the snout look

• Options

@corvette said:
    @qbrozen - the Silverado is a "punch" and not for resale, right?

Correct

• Options
    edited February 20

@explorerx4 said:
    I would think the tailgate uses the same key as the ignition. My pickups didn't have a dedicated tailgate key.

You’d think so, but no. It takes a much smaller key. I’m thinking maybe it is some kind of aftermarket add-on like this https://a.co/d/6hHudCn

• Options

Oh so I ran some errands on Sunday. Finally splurged on a new floor jack. Got the low-profile, high-lift harbor freight one. Been eyeing it for a long time but was waiting for it to go on sale. Had a 15% off one item for the holiday weekend. While I was out, I figured it was time to get the Maser a battery. I knew the one in there was not the right size. Turns out it was not the right type, either. The book specifies AGM. Pricier, of course, but quite possibly this wrong-sized wrong-spec battery can be blamed for some of its electrical maladies. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    edited February 20

@mjfloyd1 said:

@tifighter said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

@28firefighter said:

Not a problem. The only one I’d consider performance wise is the M3 and I can’t get over the snout look

Funny enough, the M3 has 2 inches less rear legroom than the CTR. But the good news is that they used that space for even more snout. Respect German engineering.

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    "Tonneau is a sectional folding type and liner appears high-quality. Only problem is the tailgate lock. It is not powered and I can’t find they key anywhere (it is unlocked). Guess I’ll be replacing that somehow."

I owned one of these. The tailgate locked when the truck was locked and unlocked when you unlocked the truck. Maybe your issue is the non-factory fob?

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options

Should still have a key though.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @tifighter - really excited to hear about your upcoming experiences with the Type R. I get that it and the M2 are different in some fundamental ways, but as an enthusiast, you can appreciate how each of them offer the same amount of “grin” factor from behind the wheel. And the Civic is simply more practical for what you need right now, with its 4-door configuration and large hatch.

I do miss having a stick. :p

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    On another note, I was washing my garage floor and a couple cars over the weekend, and the very inexpensive power washer I bought over the summer was leaking here and there and making funny surge noises (I hate to call out a brand, but it rhymes with Bun Hoe).

I had already given thought to upgrading it so started researching “best power washers for cars.” Boy, is that a rabbit hole. Shouldn’t be surprised, but didn’t realize there were so many dedicated sites and YouTube channels on detailing.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    Now we're all trying to puzzle out what brand of power washer rhymes with Bun Hoe. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    ab348 said:

Now we're all trying to puzzle out what brand of power washer rhymes with Bun Hoe. :D

Replace the B with an S and the H with a J ;)
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

@breld
    Have you considered a wall mounted one for your garage? That may be perfect for your needs.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited February 21

I miss having a stick also. Of all people that should have one, it should be me!

I also haven’t car shopped in ages. I miss it. Not counting the Maverick buy last year. That was ordered 2 years prior and all I did was go pick it up.

• Options
    A missed punch.

I went to test drive a single cab 8’ bed 2013 F-150 XL this morning. Low, low mileage, minimal rust for the age, well respected 3.7L V6. Drove well enough that I was almost willing to forego the PPI.

They wanted $15k +TTL. I offered $15k out the door. They made a lame attempt at a $400 discount but in the end we were still $1,150 apart.

The salesman printed out a list of comparables in the area to convince me of the great bargain I was getting but he didn’t know I had already done my homework and they were all super cab V8 high trim models (nice try). Since I had already made my best offer I left.

Maybe they’ll call after a few days and make a better offer but I’m not sweating it. It’s becoming a buyer’s market as time goes on. Hopefully they’ll see the end of the month creeping up on them and cave. It’s nice to not NEED to buy anything.

I still would rather have an old style Ranger but they continue to be way overpriced.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    tjc78 said:

@breld

Have you considered a wall mounted one for your garage? That may be perfect for your needs.

Oh definitely - when I saw those options my eyes lit up.

I ended up ordering an Active 2.0 pressure washer which seemed to be the one to get at its price point. There are wall mount solutions for that unit that I could add later if I decide to go that way.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    @oldfarmer50

It’s nice to not NEED to buy anything

100%

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Shopping M2's and not needing to buy is nice. The salesman are trying to push a $40-43K car onto people with bad credit and not viable buyers (they might want it but an ill-advised purchase I'm sure). Someone with no credit really shouldn't be buying a $40K+ 6 year old M2.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited February 21
    andres3 said:

Shopping M2's and not needing to buy is nice. The salesman are trying to push a $40-43K car onto people with bad credit and not viable buyers (they might want it but an ill-advised purchase I'm sure). Someone with no credit really shouldn't be buying a $40K+ 6 year old M2.

Somebody with no/bad credit shouldn’t be financing anything. The cheapest rate my credit union offers on older cars is 9.24% for a 2 year loan for top tier customers.

• Options

@breld said:
    On another note, I was washing my garage floor and a couple cars over the weekend, and the very inexpensive power washer I bought over the summer was leaking here and there and making funny surge noises (I hate to call out a brand, but it rhymes with Bun Hoe).

I had already given thought to upgrading it so started researching “best power washers for cars.” Boy, is that a rabbit hole. Shouldn’t be surprised, but didn’t realize there were so many dedicated sites and YouTube channels on detailing.

Same brand same problem here. I finally bit the bullet and bought a gas one from Tractor Supply. No matter how much they say the electric ones have caught up, they never seem to compare to the gas.

• Options

@tifighter said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

@tifighter said:

@mjfloyd1 said:

@28firefighter said:

Funny enough, the M3 has 2 inches less rear legroom than the CTR. But the good news is that they used that space for even more snout. Respect German engineering.

Congrats on the CTR. Seems to be great bang for the buck and best shifter in the business. Enjoy in good health

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    I had a Camry SE for a rental last week. Put nearly 400 miles on it or 1 tank of gas. Some impressions:

- despite the ‘SE’ moniker there was nothing sporty about it. I think 203 hp so it didn’t get in a hurry but once up to speed it was fine.
    - quiet and smooth on the highway. could easily have conf calls or talk in the car over some rough roads.
    - A little low so not exactly easy to get out of. Could be that I am so used to SUVs.
    - Good mpg. I didn’t put pen to paper but the car calculated 35 mpg.
    - Driver had power seat and tilt/tele wheel but it still took a minute to find a comfortable driving position.
    - Passenger was all manual and there were some grumbles about getting comfortable.

Not exactly my cup of tea but I can see why they sell. Especially back in the day when they leased very well.

If the X1 took a puke and there were deals to be had, I’d consider one as a replacement for Jr.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha