Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,609
    venture said:

ab348 said:

Hope you bought eclipse glasses for your phone camera. Supposedly it can fry the sensor inside it.

I bought 10 pairs of glasses on Amazon for around $8 and they came with a cell phone camera cover thingy.

It got a little dark and cooler here. We were only at about 85% to 90% it looked like. There is a housing project near the baseball field and all their photocell lights were on.
    ————————————————
    When I was a kid in grade school I remember seeing a partial eclipse and being warned about not looking at it without something that would shade your eyes but being told that sun glasses weren’t good enough. So, our science teacher showed us how to hold a piece of glass over a smoking candle until the glass was almost black. The trick was finding a piece of glass. Fortunately my Dad found a piece in the basement from a window that I broke with a baseball a few years earlier.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,937

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    Almost nothing at all in the Burgh area. If all the hype didn’t say we would experience some eclipse effect, I would never have thought it wasn’t just another cloud passing by.

BTW, how cool was it? While watching TV they said some areas experienced a temperature drop of around 20 degrees F over a relatively short period of time.

jmonroe

20 degrees? Pshaw. We’ve had several occasions here in CO where the ambient temp has fallen 30 or 40 degrees inside of an hour.

It’s almost like you can see the little blue line on the weather map moving in your direction.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,284

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    Almost nothing at all in the Burgh area. If all the hype didn’t say we would experience some eclipse effect, I would never have thought it wasn’t just another cloud passing by.

BTW, how cool was it? While watching TV they said some areas experienced a temperature drop of around 20 degrees F over a relatively short period of time.

jmonroe

Temp dropped 8-10 degrees here

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,359
    We were one of the 100% areas.
    Got dark quickly and streetlights came on.
    Temp definitely dropped, noticeable because I was wearing a tshirt.
    I tried taking progressive pictures but they didn't work out.
    People having party's were cheering and sending up fireworks.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,119
    We were supposedly in an 80%-85% zone so it didn’t get dark here. It did get strange-looking outside, not exactly like sunset but with noticeably diminished light. Lucy the cat began behaving strangely inside, and birds outdoors were flying around and some were squawking loudly while it went on.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,338

@ab348 said:
    Hope you bought eclipse glasses for your phone camera. Supposedly it can fry the sensor inside it.

Yes I did. I got an extra pair and I took out one on the lenses and covered the lens with it.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,904
    ab348 said:

We were supposedly in an 80%-85% zone so it didn’t get dark here. It did get strange-looking outside, not exactly like sunset but with noticeably diminished light. Lucy the cat began behaving strangely inside, and birds outdoors were flying around and some were squawking loudly while it went on.

Same here. The first part - not about Lucy. :)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options

@explorerx4 said:
    I just wore my regular sunglasses during the full eclipse.
    There was an orange kind of small sphere or dot poking out the lower left.
    Some said it was a solar flare and some said called it 'The Engagement Ring'.
    We went down to the playground with the grandkids and someone had a Sun playlist for musical accompaniment.

We also saw the orange light. I think it may be what they call Bailey Beads which is sunlight coming through valleys on the moon just before and/or just after full eclipse.

• Options

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————

jmonroe

We all noticed a drop on temperature maybe 15 to 20 minutes into the eclipse. It wasn't much just barely noticeable.

• Options

This is how dark it got for us under the full eclipse, it was near Salem, IL at 2:02PM.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,261
    mjfloyd1 said:

This is weird but cool

Traffic going was non-existent (we left early, and didn't need to)

Going home was mostly okay... about 30 minutes extra, then hit a 4 mile stretch that took an hour.

90 minutes up, 3.5 hours home

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

Anyone playing the Pink Floyd song Eclipse from the Dark side of the moon album?

Black Hole Sun from Soundgarden.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    99% in my area, but we drove about 90 miles to be within 3 miles of the centerline. We were blessed with clear skies overhead.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    With about 98% coverage, I was thinking... this really isn't going to get very dark. But, when it clicked over to full eclipse, it was like the lights going off. Not night-time dark, but very dark.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,716
    jmonroe1 said:

mjfloyd1 said:

This is weird but cool

————————————————

jmonroe
    In Albany we got about 96% at the airport but just as the eclipse started heavy clouds rolled in and spoiled it somewhat. I’m glad we didn’t get sent north today. One crew went as far as Glens Falls and said the traffic on I-87 was a nightmare.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,991
    We're about 40 miles from Niagara Falls which was right on the path, it looked like the middle of the night.
    Traffic was overwhelming, almost 1 million people were heading to the Niagara area......hotel rooms were going for $500 to $1000 a night.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,743
    Didn't really take note as I was workin' for a livin'. What I did note was that several of the management team were out in the afternoon, hmmm...

Went to a local casual restaurant for $6.99 burger night (had the Vermont Cheddar burger. Yum) and parked at the near Hilton Garden Inn. Four charging stations, I've had mixed luck with them. Plugged in, nothing. Waved my Chargepoint card and voila, the (L2) flood gates opened! But, on the CP app, noted not part of their network. And, my credit card has yet to show a charge, so another free tank of electricity for me! Gotta next find those free gas stations.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,165
    We were about 25 miles from centerline. Got dark llike late dusk. Wife was watching
    through glasses from our patio. I was trimming down ornamental grasses as it hit
    total. Strange. But not exciting enough to drive a few miles to the centerline for me from
    where we are.

Maybe in 2044 or the next one? LOL

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Dropped the ATS off at the dealer for service this AM and got a cab home. The cabbie had the radio on and I heard the two morning drive hosts talking about the eclipse. They said they were hearing from listeners who said they felt dizzy or headaches during the event (remember, it only got a little bit dim here , not dark) and that a number of listeners had reported in that they felt ill today, so were taking sick days. Jeebus.

• Options

We were about 25 miles from centerline. Got dark llike late dusk. Wife was watching
    through glasses from our patio. I was trimming down ornamental grasses as it hit
    total. Strange. But not exciting enough to drive a few miles to the centerline for me from
    where we are.

Maybe in 2044 or the next one? LOL

————————————————-
    I heard the one in 2044 is already being booked up so I’m going to the next one. o:)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    ab348 said:

Dropped the ATS off at the dealer for service this AM and got a cab home. The cabbie had the radio on and I heard the two morning drive hosts talking about the eclipse. They said they were hearing from listeners who said they felt dizzy or headaches during the event (remember, it only got a little bit dim here , not dark) and that a number of listeners had reported in that they felt ill today, so were taking sick days. Jeebus.

————————————————-
    I’d like to see the look on their boss’s faces when they said that. If I were their boss that would be reason enough to get a pink slip.

jmonroe
  • Options
    ab348 said:

One rumor going around was that looking at the eclipse would make you go insane. Another said that during the eclipse the CERN supercollider in Switzerland would be turned on to create a portal to somewhere…..hell? …..another universe?…….Chick-fil-A? Who knows?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,953

@ab348 said:

Lol they felt ill because they were hungover from the partying

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    edited April 9
    We heard for days about traffic problems expected due to eclipse watchers returning to _somewhere_.

But we decided to make a run down toward Cincinnati to a Lowes to get more of a plant that only
    that store seems to get--we had been there Sunday. Checked google traffic. Not bad in the Dayton urban decay area. Left home. 4 car pileup from those drivers who don't believe in slowing down to construction area speeds when lanes are narrowed and moved to side of interstate. Bypassed that using trademarked paths braving the city streets.

Then south-of-town at a shopping/entertainment/business center another interstate feeds on and some southbound traffic feeds on. 20 minutes delay. All those folks who drove up to west central Ohio to see a longer total eclipse finally met in a 4:30 pm crunch.

Saw lots of out-of-state license plates.

Saw a Manitoba plate on car today heading west on I70. I don't even know where that is in Canada, but I doubt they were here for the eclipse. LOL

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,937

We heard for days about traffic problems expected due to eclipse watchers returning to _somewhere_.

But we decided to make a run down toward Cincinnati to a Lowes to get more of a plant that only
    that store seems to get--we had been there Sunday. Checked google traffic. Not bad in the Dayton urban decay area. Left home. 4 car pileup from those drivers who don't believe in slowing down to construction area speeds when lanes are narrowed and moved to side of interstate. Bypassed that using trademarked paths braving the city streets.

Then south-of-town at a shopping/entertainment/business center another interstate feeds on and some southbound traffic feeds on. 20 minutes delay. All those folks who drove up to west central Ohio to see a longer total eclipse finally met in a 4:30 pm crunch.

Saw lots of out-of-state license plates.

Saw a Manitoba plate on car today heading west on I70. I don't even know where that is in Canada, but I doubt they were here for the eclipse. LOL

Manitoba is the Kansas / Iowa of Canada....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

my only traffic issue going home was two small areas of construction. The first one was just some work along the side which slowed traffic but the other one was a nightmare. They are working on the interchange of I 57 and I 74 and the normal ramps were closed so you had to get of one interstate to take some back roads to get pn the other interstate. Wouldn't you know that getting off I 57 there was a shortish ramp that ended at a stoplight which backed up traffic trying to change interstates for miles. Once I got past that I 57 was very clear.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,904

my only traffic issue going home was two small areas of construction. The first one was just some work along the side which slowed traffic but the other one was a nightmare. They are working on the interchange of I 57 and I 74 and the normal ramps were closed so you had to get of one interstate to take some back roads to get pn the other interstate. Wouldn't you know that getting off I 57 there was a shortish ramp that ended at a stoplight which backed up traffic trying to change interstates for miles. Once I got past that I 57 was very clear.

If anybody cared, they would have had someone there to direct traffic.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    I learned an interesting fact from a patient today. Apparently Indiana University is the only college in the US where you can get a degree in Mongolian Studies. This of course begs the question of what exactly you would do with that…

https://iaunrc.indiana.edu/opportunities/languages/mongolian.html#:~:text=Mongolian language study at IU,interesting region in Central Eurasia.
  • Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

I learned an interesting fact from a patient today. Apparently Indiana University is the only college in the US where you can get a degree in Mongolian Studies. This of course begs the question of what exactly you would do with that…

https://iaunrc.indiana.edu/opportunities/languages/mongolian.html#:~:text=Mongolian language study at IU,interesting region in Central Eurasia.

I would have guessed Tibetan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,743
    mjfloyd1 said:

Open a BBQ restaurant?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    edited April 10
    mjfloyd1 said:

I would never have picked Mongolia if I was looking for a thriving club scene.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

There is a Tibetan Monestery here. Used to be two.
  • Options

mjfloyd1 said:

Open a BBQ restaurant?
    😂
  • Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

There is a Tibetan Monestery here. Used to be two.
    ————————————————
    Which answers the question of why would anyone want to get into a dying art?

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited April 10
    I suspect the answer is teach Mongolian studies at IU or become a waiter/waitress. Perhaps some combination of the two
  • Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

I suspect the answer is teach Mongolian studies at IU or become a waiter/waitress. Perhaps some combination of the two

————————————————-
    Why not a used car salesman? Or don’t you think they’d stoop that low. :o

jmonroe
  • Options
    Oh oh, now I’ve done it. I was low on cash so I used my credit card at the supermarket and now I’m getting spam calls on my cell phone from Los Angeles. The CIA has found me!😢

• Options

Oh oh, now I’ve done it. I was low on cash so I used my credit card at the supermarket and now I’m getting spam calls on my cell phone from Los Angeles. The CIA has found me!😢

————————————————-
    You might try returning the groceries. That otta confuse them.

jmonroe
  • Options

That’s all your fault for giving the credit card company your cell number. Everyone knows to give them a disconnected landline number to let the fraudsters run up thousands of dollars on your account undetected until the postman delivers your statement. :D

• Options
    ab348 said:

That’s all your fault for giving the credit card company your cell number. Everyone knows to give them a disconnected landline number to let the fraudsters run up thousands of dollars on your account undetected until the postman delivers your statement. :D
    ————————————————-
    I still say my way is better.

jmonroe
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

I’m very proud of my son. He calmly called me on his way home from school to tell me that he thinks he has a flat tire. He said the dash showed his right rear tire was at 18 psi & dropping. I’m off today, so was able to spring into action and meet him at the rest area where he pulled into. I got there and told him to open up the owners manual to see where the jacking points were and where the tools were. He started following the instructions and did everything himself. I just showed up for moral support.

————————————————
    Way to go dad. Let the kid do the heavy lifting. FWIW, I wouldn’t want to lift that tire either.

BTW, what are you doing on this site?

jmonroe
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,615

I hope he torqued it on!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,953

That’s awesome! Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty.

Hoping the tire can be plugged!!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,458

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    Way to go dad. Let the kid do the heavy lifting. FWIW, I wouldn’t want to lift that tire either.

BTW, what are you doing on this site?

jmonroe

Shhhh! Don’t tell anyone I started following here again! It’s been a minute:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    We’re you able to spot the puncture?

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,991
    tjc78 said:

That’s awesome! Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty.

Hoping the tire can be plugged!!

....or know how to call AAA.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

I want to say how proud you should be of him and of the job you've done parenting. Great work.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,391
    <
    nyccarguy said:

I’m very proud of my son. He calmly called me on his way home from school to tell me that he thinks he has a flat tire. He said the dash showed his right rear tire was at 18 psi & dropping. I’m off today, so was able to spring into action and meet him at the rest area where he pulled into. I got there and told him to open up the owners manual to see where the jacking points were and where the tools were. He started following the instructions and did everything himself. I just showed up for moral support.

Good for you! Teaching your son that he doesn't have to live in fear of not having a functional cell phone. My son always helped me switch my car's tires over from summer to winter and vice versa.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 2020 C43 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive