Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Maintenance & Repair

sema0427sema0427 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Saturn
I have a Saturn SL2 from 1997. For the first 3
years, under the maintenance, the car ran perfect.
The contract expired last November(1999)and the
troubles began. The Supentine belt snapped and the
Tensioner had to be replaced. Then the spark plugs
were damaged and the cylinders were broken.
The ignition wires needed cleaning and the engine
housing collapsed. Doesn't this sound odd? The
Saturn dealer closest to our home(in Medford, MA)
advised us to call Saturn and complain. They
responded rudely saying that a car is a machine.
But when I took it to our original dealer, in
Danvers, they advised us that each dealer sets
their own price. We were overcharged!
Our car runs better now but the attitude of Saturn
has left us feeling angry. They started out as
family but now act cold and uncaring.
Just thought you'd like to know.

Comments

• julianavetjulianavet Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad to see someone else out there is not satisfied with the Saturn company. I bought a 1993 Saturn new and I have had nothing but trouble out of it. If I where you, I would trade your Saturn now. It only gets worse and Saturn of Knoxville service department has never been able to fix the problems on my Saturn. My Saturn has actually broken down twice within hours of having it serviced at the dealership and they would not even pay to have it towed back in. Now that's what I call service!
  • donachsdonachs Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1999 Saturn SL2, the car ran great and the dealership was wonderful....until I had a problem!!! The Saturn caught fire and burned, the entire engine compartment to ashes, molten plastic lay on the street around the front end of the car. I had it towed to the local Saturn dealership. Let me say that the dealership was extremely courteous the few times that I brought the car in for service. BUT... when the car burned they didn't want to see me at all.I was given all kinds of excuses as to what happened. The complaint dept. in Spring Hill, Tn. was no help whatsoever, all of my telephone calls were shuffled from one person to another. At one point they even denied that I owned a Saturn I had to have the dealership verify the fact. The car was examined by service reps, factory reps, and Saturn engineers, all to no avail, Saturn could not tell me what happened. They had the car for 30 days and refused to give me a loaner, The Saturn legal Dept. stated that by doing so it would indicate "LIABILITY". I knew then that I was going to get the short end of the stick.Finally I demanded that the Insurance company intervene on my behalf, they did and Saturn immediatly totaled the car out. They claimed that they did not know what happened therefore they were not liable for the damage. I wish to say that in all my experiences with retailers of all kinds I was never so callously and rudely treated as I was by the peoplr of Saturn.....Thanks
  • janevaethjanevaeth Member Posts: 1
    Bought my Saturn LS sedan on 7/15/00 here in Baltimore. 4 days later we attended the open house for new customers to get acquainted with the Saturn way of doing business. About 80 people showed up for the meal, video tapes and demonstrations. One lady said that she was having a problem turning the key. We all looked at each other, wondering where did she learn to drive. Everybody knows that you sometimes need to turn the wheel to release the pressure. Well, the next day at about my 5th errand, the key would not turn. At first I thought that it was my security system since I had never had a car with one. Then I pulled out the manual. Nothing. After about 5 minutes, I called the dealer. They had 2 mechanics out in 14 minutes, but neither could make it move. They took me to get a rental car and I was home, all within 35 minutes. They had to replace the housing cyclinder. I did not lay out a single penny, not even to refill the rental. The key now turns over very smoothly. I hope nothing else happens.

I chose the Saturn LS over the Mazda 626 based on interior room, automatic overdrive versus pushing a button, Mazda's transmission history, and leg room for my tall husband.

If you don't see a posting from me, you'll know everything is fine.
  • kkanterkkanter Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 SL2 w/57000 miles, took it in for a ticking noise, I was told I need a new timing chain for $650.00 plus new front brakes and rotors for $165.00 (this was replaced at 27,000miles) and I have a leak in a transmission seal that will cost $160.00. Saturn said because I had my oil changed approx. every 5,000 miles instead of 3,000 it is not unreasonable for this to happen to the timing chain. And what about those front brakes going again?
  • dapperonedapperone Member Posts: 4
    I think there is a chance of getting a lemon whatever make car you buy. I bought a new SL2 Saturn in '93. I now have 95k miles on it. I replaced the voltage regulator. The engine compartment is still clean. It looks like a car engine with 10k miles instead of 95k. The dealer in Trevose, Pa. has always diagnosed and fixed any problem the first time. I had a tranny problem at about 45k. It was banging into gear after high speed , high temp driving. I talked the manufacturer into picking up half the cost. It cost me about $200. It now uses a quart of oil every 300k miles. Too bad i cannot buy another one--its too low and I'm to old
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Has anyone had problems with their saturns alternators at all. My brothers went out at about 70K.
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    bigfur,

Can you verify that it was a DELCO alternator? Of course, I would expect it to be straight from the GM parts bin, so it would have exactly the same life expectancy we have seen on other GM cars. In which case, your brother's experience is completely typical.

Bruce
  • lynnann1lynnann1 Member Posts: 85
    Has anyone had any problems with their Saturn ingnition switch? My niece has a 3 dr and Saturday she could not turn the car all the way off. It wouldn't turn any further than ACC and you could pull the key out while the car was running! The car is only about a year old.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Seem to be a weak spot in the car. Apparently this has to do with inadequate cooling. Not sure if they're delco or not, but i would guess that they are.

dave
  • galonsogalonso Member Posts: 1
    I just got stranded today because I stopped for gas and when I got in my car to leave the, ignition, steering column and gear shift were frozen solid! It looks like it's a common problem. Does anyone else find the interior fabric a little to fragile? I wore a hole in it on the drivers side with my elbow, of course they replaced it, how can you do that after only 3 months? I love the service, but wish I didn't have to see them so often.
    I also had to get a new windshield wiper fluid hose, of all things it broke on me without advance notice. I sent a little note to Saturn Customer support to let them know that I am a little disenchanted with my car.
    I hope they investigate and make sure this problem doesn't happen to others. Luckily, I was stranded in a good neighborhood and was not in any personal danger. There are plenty of places here where that wouldn't have been true.
  • judithcjudithc Member Posts: 2
    My 94 SL has continuously had problems with intermittedly overheating (according to temp guage) since the alternator went bad at approx 70K miles. The dealership keeps saying the temp sensors are bad and have replaced them several times (this week without charge). The car has 89K now and we are original owners. About 15K of those miles are tow miles (we once read Saturns do not rack up miles when towed but this one does). The car is a 5 speed and this week after I had let it set for an hour (while traveling out of town) when I started in back up it would only go in reverse. I backed it up, could not get it in another gear, so I cut the engine off. When I restarted the gears were fine. Saturn could not replicate the problem or find anything wrong there. Has anyone else experienced similar problems and have any solutions?
    One thing is that the saturn gauge is calbrated well, "different." Most automakers make the first 1/4 of the gauge cover a long range so that people don't worry even though the engine IS changing in temperature. Saturn used a linear gauge, which is more accurate, but worries people. They moved to the technically-incorrect but less troublesome gauge later.

it's like of like the horn buttons: The rim is a much better place for it, because in an accident, what do people often do? Honk. If you honk on the rim, the airbag pushes your hands out to the side. No damage. Honk in the middle and your hand gets smashed into your face at 100mph. Saturn moved the horn to the middle eventually, though, because every stupid car reviewer complained about the horn being in a "funny spot."

judith, i'd worry a bit about the gear thing. That shoudln't hapeen in a 5-speed. Like the racking up miles when towed. If that is happening the trans is broken.

BYW, repairs at saturn dealers are supposed to have a 1 year unlimited mile warranty.

dave
  • ronr107ronr107 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 SL2 with 17,000 miles.
    The muffler seems rather loud lately.
    I'm wondering if maybe I'm paying too much attention to it.
    Anyone know if noisy mufflers are common with 97 SL2's.
  • ken1776ken1776 Member Posts: 41
    Judith, My Wife's 95 SL II just started to do the same thing. she starts it up and the gauge peg's to the red end. Has to be a faulty sensor, how much did Saturn charge to replace your sensor the first time?
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I bet the baffles in the muffler have come apart,common with 4cyl engines.They will replace under warranty if its still covered.
    If it's a problem in the muffler, I *think* it has to be replaced for up to 5 years unlimited mileage as an emissions component.

dave
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Saturn engines have had a history of seizing oil rings in their grooves in the pistons. Doesn't affect compression rings quite as badly, so there's still some pep, but it'll go through oil like you-know-what through a goose.
    The exhaust system up to and including the catalytic converter is an emission related system and warranted up to 5 years. The rest of the exhaust system isn't.
    Ok, the muffler's not covered.

The oil burning is weird. Some cars do and some cars don't. I heard it was the valve seals that are the culprit, not the rings. I have always used synthetic and now close to 100K miles I go through a quart about every 1200-1500 miles. Theoretically the synthetic should have prevented ring coking.

dave
    DOHC engines up to about 1994 had a problem dropping valve guides, similar to Chrysler 3L engines. Newer ones like to seize oil rings and taper cylinder bores. Oil in the coolant is a cracked head, not uncommon, and warranted 6 years/120,000 kilometers.(You do the math for miles in the U.S.) This info from a friend who's a Saturn dealer tech.
  • prindleprindle Member Posts: 1
    For what it's worth, this has been my experience with a 1992 SC:
    The car has 150,000 miles. It uses about 1 quart of oil in 600-700 miles. It creaks, rattles and squeaks; the interior trim pieces over the doors have come loose, and rattle. The automatic belt on the driver's side has given up the struggle. The warning chime goes off when the door is open and there's no key in the ignition. The trunk lid rains water down into the trunk when it's opened, even days after a rainstorm. The cupholder broke. The windshield washer stopped working, because the hose had a hole worn in it; the Saturn dealer didn't have another in stock, and had to order it.
    (By the way, one frustration has been Saturn's unwillingness to let aftermarket manufacturers offer replacement parts, so everything has to come from the Saturn dealer.)
    On the plus side, the car has gotten very good mileage (over 30 mpg with an automatic), and it's been fun to drive.
    I don't mean for this to sound like a sob story; I just wanted to offer my experience.
    Some of that stuff sucks, but it does have 150K miles. Some of those things just happen over miles and if you don't fix them along the way then your car seems like a wreck. But things like the trunk lid sound like a design defect. Some of those things happened to me too, both door panels rattled and it seemed like they got loosened up by opening & closing--IOW they were not strong enough. I had tons of wind noise--this was the biggest defect to me. I went through a quart of oil every 1200 miles despite using synthetic the entire time. OTOH, as you say it was fun to drive, got good mileage only only left me stuck once ( bad battery ) when i traded it in at 97K miles. Even got close to $5k for it.

dave
  • mush1mush1 Member Posts: 1
    My 95 SL1 has a large appetite for 5W30 Penzoil! It only has 45000 miles . It's using a quart every 1200 miles. Anyone else have this problem? I'm very disappointed. I just bought the car about 3 months ago. Is this typical for Saturns ?
    Read post #20 and 23 in this topic.
  • etorbensonetorbenson Member Posts: 1
    '94 SW2 107K, oil dipstick came up dry on last oil change. Sort of a shock. No history of oil consumption. Not driven hard, almost 90 percent highway miles. (Changed front brakes for first time at 101K; that's how little stop and go this one's seen) Rinky-dink oil guys at Jiffy Lube say my rear engine seal is going, which seems like a pretty nasty outcome for simple oil loss, but maybe that's to be expected at this mileage. Or maybe they're just morons. Any thoughts out there, wiser Saturn owners than I? If I do need a new rear seal, what's that usually going to run me? (Four figures? Ug.) Thanks! Chilly in MSP.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    The washer hoses on my 91 (one of the first in NY)
    have been broken for a long while. I have not seen this in any other old car I ever owned or drove (quite a few). How many years has GM been making cras (Freud slip), I mean cars... where they don't know how to design washer hoses that will last?

As far as I'm concerned... that's a safety defect amd Saturn should give a new set to anyone who asks...
    for free! Yeah right.

As far as alternators go... almost everyone I know with a GM car has had to replace theirs prematurely.

Oil burning... mine does a quart every 400 miles.
    Saturns excuse is that the oil was not changed frequently enough in the beginning.

Otherwise it's fun to drive... but I'm getting tired of sitting on the ground with the roof on top of my head feeling like I'm riding a wild horse every time I hit a bump!
  • funkhouserfunkhouser Member Posts: 1
    As for all posting about ignition problems, it is a known Saturn design flaw. I personally have been through two ignition cylinders in the 4 years that I have owned by 94' Saturn SL2. However, I have learned a trick to get them to last infinitely by spending 3 cents every three months. Just two squirts of WD-40 in the ignition cylnder every three months will keep the thing from jamming up. However, if will not prevent the wear n' tear where your key can be removed while it is still running ... consider that a perk. :-)
  • gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    Check out http://www.saturnfans.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowBoard&Board=001&Idle=&Sort=&Order=&Session=
    You'll find everything you need to (and don't want to) know on your Sattys.
    You'll learn about the "normal" overheating temp gauge, oil-burners, top engine mount deterioration, warped rotors, and rattles and vibrations.
    We no longer have our 98SW2, mainly outgrew it into an '01 minivan. Bought in 09/97 and 3 years is all I want with this car, before I really have a problem with it (also since it's the wife's and toddlers ride). Saturn too needs to dump the no-haggle pricing, it's an aged concept and a disadvantage in keeping with the competition.
    Good luck and enjoy.
  • marcina1969marcina1969 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 97 Saturn 1 1/2 years ago with 29,000 miles. I am an outside sales person and put alot of highway miles on my car, it now has 52,000. 3 months ago the oil light came on, so immediatly I drove to the dealer....MY CAR HAD NO OIL IN IT !!! and the dipstick was burnt black. I was shocked !! I had the engine flushed and had an oil change and was then put on an oil consumption test, every week I was at the dealer getting it checked and it was using (burning) 1to 1 1/2 quarts every 1,000 miles. They printed my service report and said that my oil changes were anywhere from 3,995 to 4,800 miles apart (which is true) I was at fault for causing my car to have this problem, EVENTHOUGH THE OWNERS MANUAL SAYS TO CHANGE IT EVERY 6,000 ACCORDING TO MY DRIVING PATTERNS !! All this happened right before Christmas, now I'm being told that GM specs say that it is normal for a car to consume 1 quart or more every 1,000 miles and that there is nothing wrong with my car. I AM VERY DISSATISFIED WITH THE CAR AND THE TREATMENT THAT I HAVE RECEIVED. IF ANYONE HAS AN ANSWER OR ADVICE I WOULD APPRECIATE IT OTHERWISE I WILL BE SELLING THE CAR AND NOT BUYING ANOTHER SATURN!!!
    G.M.'s policy has always been that oil consumption of up to 1 quart per 1,000 miles is acceptable, and will not do anything under warranty to remedy it. I'm not asserting that their view is correct or popular, merely stating what I know their policy to be, based on 15 years as a G.M. dealer tech. No doubt some "knowledgeable" individuals will waste bandwidth here opining on G.M.'s policy but that and $1.00 will buy you a cup of coffee, unfortunately.

An approach you might want to consider is to discuss with the service manager the fact that Saturn engines have a history of siezing oil rings, and tapering cylinder walls, both causing high oil consumption. If either of these is present it should be a warrantable condition. Taking it to another Saturn dealer in hopes of a different response is probably not viable, as all Saturn dealers are computer linked and your vehicle's repair history will show up as soon as they key in the VIN.
  • architekarchitek Member Posts: 2
    My problem was exactly like #30 marcinas...only my engine blew a piston when i had no idea that I had a problem. Saturns response was that they had no obligation to repair it and i could spend hundreds of dollars in a diagnostic engine tear down and if they found an engine design error they would then CONSIDER contributing to the replacement. Purely a BS ploy to get me deeper and deeper into the car repairs so I'll stay with Saturn. Then they offered me a fraction of the value for a trade in knowing that I was already screwed. This company and its dealers are classic sleezy disreputable dealers masked in this friendly PR made image........and their service claims are simply falsehoods proven by our nightmare.....

Marcina...sell the car....I'm doing excatly the same thing and DONT BUY ANOTHER SATURN EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LET THE BUYER BEWARE WITH SATURN!!!!!!!!!!and don't say you havn't been warned.
    "this company" is General Motors.
  • architekarchitek Member Posts: 2
    Would it be a fair assumption to say that GM has no interest at all in correcting the oil problems because its not a life safety issue and it gives them a methodology to deny warranty and owner based claims for service. From what I can see here and in numerous other message boards (such as saturnexposed.com), relating to oil issues, Saturn will not honor these types of repairs based upon the poor design of their engine whether the car is under warranty or not. The engine was designed to fail (or simply poorly designed) but it suits their need to limit their liability and avoid repair costs.

The failure of a company to instruct their consumer base of this typical vehicle fault and this type of deceptive practive is certainly the basis for litagation.
    A LOT of saturns use oil. Mine did, other people i know had the same issue, etc. The cars definitely go through oil more than average. All cars do it to varying extents, though. BMW and Toyota make the most durable engines in the world, and some use appreciable oil.

I didn't care *THAT* much, i always check my oil every week, and top off if necessary. Everyone should. Of course, i'd prefer if i didn't have to do that! I'd say to just just use normal oil, change it every 3,000 and top it off ar $.70 a quart sale junk whenever necessary. I passed emissions with flying colors, regardless.

Still, you'd think saturn could do better. They've pissed off a lot of people with this issue. Don't get me started on the warp-o-matic brake rotors, though.

dave
    Interesting anecdote. Long, boring mostly, but interesting to a point. So are we to glean from this that the Saturn dealer should take responsibility for the theft of your wallet? Interesting concept. As to the license plate bracket, the vehicle was shipped and equipped for the state in which it was initially sold. Quit whining about petty trivialities.
  • 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    Wow, I bought my wife a 1998 Saturn SC1 brand new with only 4 miles on it. It now has about 28,000 miles on it and no major problems (yet), the drivers seat belt mechanisim had to be replaced twice cause it would not retract, one time the gas door wouldn't open after pulling on the remote handle (funny to laugh at now)..oh there is a high pitched squeeking coming from the plastic hub caps. It is NOT brake dust, have cleaned and checked and sprayed cleaner many times. Took the hub caps off and drove the car around and the sqeeking stopped...should've gotton the aluminum 15" upgrades...oh well...car looks ugly without the hub caps so I put 'em back on and we up with the noise. Dealer has tried to "adjust" the hub caps (don't know how) as this is a common problem, but to no avail.

Bob
  • spedispedi Member Posts: 1
    Anyone else with and L-series 4cylinder vehicle? If so, have you experienced a rough idle at 600-700 rpm when stopping at a stop sign/light? If you own/drive this type of car, please post your response either way! (Trying to learn how common this issue is.)

Thanks !
  • rrobertrrobert Member Posts: 5
    Uses no oil, only had to replace alternator and one set of brake pads, 125,000 miles. Consistently rated well for reliability by Consumer Reports and J.D. Power surveys. Problems per 100 cars is well below the Detroit average. Liked it so much I bought a 2001 LS300. 2K and no problems at all.
  • toddmodemtoddmodem Member Posts: 19
    I'm currently on my second Saturn (no problems on the first, just too many miles), with zero problems to report. 163,000 km and all I've had to do is replace the tires, brake pads, plugs and wires. I am noticing that it's starting to use a little more oil. It seems that this is somewhat normal for this car.

After 8 years of driving Saturns, I'll be leaving for a new Mazda Minivan....if only GM and Saturn had come out with a Saturn Minivan, I would have bought one! Saturn was a great concept that seems to have withered. I hope it can return to it's former glory.

Todd
  • jeremiah87jeremiah87 Member Posts: 1
    My 95 has 51K with auto trans. At 40K was driving on the interstate when I lost all power from trans. Engine ran, but no torque. Dealer replaced what I recall was an "upper modulator" or something along that line (took three visits to dealer). Now today when shifting from reverse to neutral there is a noticable "thunk". Doesn't do it any other time. Anyone know anything on this? I have had no oil use problems.
  • njjettaownernjjettaowner Member Posts: 17
    my Saturn at 88000 has that same problem since 45000 when you put it in reverse you get the thunk I have also replaced the alternator 3 times and the starter twice the last time the starter went was the other day I was at a used car lot and it died as I was telling him what a great car it was. had to tow it of the lot.... just bought a Jetta and iam waiting delivery thank god the nightmare is over I hope the Jetta doesn't do me wrong my 1st foreign car
  • zargon2zargon2 Member Posts: 3
    My '98 SL2 (63k miles, 5-spd) has intermittent 30%loss of power. Happened during long road trip and made it a REAL DRAG. Hasn't happened too often since; perhaps car has to be thoroughly warmed up B4 problem happens? Check Engine light does not come on; dealer tells me this means the computer isn't recording a problem code they can refer to.

Saturn dealers no help at all; one I bought it at sez there's nothing they can do unless it's doing it when I bring it in; other dealer far outta town wouldn't work on it when it WAS doing it, b/c I didn't have an appt...

This problem, and the notorious nasty engine noises (especially on high-speed deceleration) bum me out, but overall, I like the car a lot. I can provide a rundown of good and bad points on request, if that'd help anyone.

Anyway, back to the point: WHAT COULD CAUSE INTERMITTENT POWER LOSS ON MY '98 SL2?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, about a million things, really....the dealer is right, actually...can't fix something until it fails, unfortunately for you. Hopefully (I say that with some hesitation), it will fail and then you'll know. My ballpark guess is a fuel delivery problem of some type.
  • jenwildingjenwilding Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1994 SW2 with 36,000 miles. The clutch was replaced at 17,000 miles and the slave cylinder replaced at 23,000 miles (Saturn paid for both), and now I need to replace the flywheel, etc., at 36,000 (I'm paying). I've been driving a stick since I was 16, and I've never had to replace a clutch, so I'm reasonably sure it's not my driving. The service guy said that Saturn redesigned the flywheel starting with the 1996 model. Does anyone know about a clutch design problem in the earlier models? Is it normal for clutches to go out every 17,000 miles?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Clutch problems depend on a lot of things.....it seems pretty premature at 17K, you are certainly right about that...I suppose that a clutch that engages too "softly" would wear more easily due to slippage...or if the clutch disk were simply too small for the engines power.

As for your flywheel, that probably just overheated from slippage or got gouged by a destroyed clutch plate.

I think if everybody's 1994 Saturn clutches were burning at 15K-17K, we would have heard about it by now, but certainly they could have installed a bad batch.
  • fivespeedfivespeed Member Posts: 42
    After reading this discussion, who would want a Saturn? They also have about the worst seats in the business.
  • rrobertrrobert Member Posts: 5
    Too often only the negative posts receive any attention. I would guess that for all these dissatisfied customers, the vast majority of the millions of saturn owners love their cars. My 94 SL2 has 120K, same clutch and brake pads, did replace the alternator at 110K and runs great. 6 hour drives are a breeze, no fatigue at all. There are problems with the line, but on the whole, you can buy far more problematic cars.
  • npnight13npnight13 Member Posts: 1
    Found out that SL1's have been having problems with cracked heads... check with a Saturn dealer near you about what can be done (SINCE I've learned each dealer is different)
    Dealer I called told me about the problem and that they will pay for part of the costs and towing... (I originally called to ask the price for a head gasket and then he proceeded to tell me about the SL1 problem) (I have a '96)
    FYI... (engine oil was leaking into my coolant was the first problem noticed)...
  • ernie303ernie303 Member Posts: 1
    My 96 SL1 was just diagnosed by my mechanic as having a cracked cylinder head. Ouch. It has 106,000 miles on it. I haven't talked to my saturn dealer yet as to what can be done. Is this a common problem? How should I proceed? It seems too early for this problem to have occurred.
    (It has been using oil and my alternator was replaced at about 90,000 miles.)
  • paula95sc2paula95sc2 Member Posts: 1
    There ought to be a warning posted on these cars to alert new owners about the oil related sensitivity/issues.

I bought a used 1995 Saturn SC2 less than a year ago. Brought it in to Saturn for service for it's regular maintenance and was told a year previously the car got a new engine. I thought, "lucky me", 5K later it blew a ring. Saturn told me I didn't change the oil often enough & it was my negligence that caused the piston to blow. On further research I found the car is now on it's 3rd engine (4th owner), total odometer reading is less than 80K. By the way, Saturn is "giving" me a 20% goodwill discount (the previous owner got a 55% discount to replace the engine) so it'll only cost me $4K for a new engine.

I plan to take this to my local consumer news advocate and also contact clarkhoward.com (a nationwide consumer action center) - maybe others should too. At minimum I think Saturn has an obligation to their customers (especially people who've never owned a Saturn) to disclose the engine's oil related issues. My last car was a Nissan & the engine died at 210K miles.
This discussion has been closed.