Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• darlac59darlac59 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan. Recently I have noticed when I slow down (any time I hit the brakes actually) it sounds like the anti-lock brakes are engaging (on dry pavement) and the car shakes a little, like we are on rough pavement. Has anyone else experienced this? I have an appointment with Saturn in a couple of days and if this is a known problem, it would be helpful to me going in. Thanks!
  • paulc5paulc5 Member Posts: 2
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE A BAD CRANK POSITION SENSOR.
  • paulc5paulc5 Member Posts: 2
    ONE OF THE WHEEL SPEED SENSORS IS DROPPING OUT AND THE EBTCM THINKS ONE OF THE WHEELS IS LOCKING UP AND THE ABS IS COMING ON.IF THE SENSOR DROPS OUT BELOW 10 MPH IT WON'T THROW A CODE.
  • kajunmomkajunmom Member Posts: 2
    My daughter's friend moved here after hurricane Katrina and she owns a Saturn. She was driving the car with no problems. She parked the car one night got in it the next morning and it would not turn over actually it didn't make a sound. We assumed the battery but the radio works and the horn blows. We checked all the fuses no problems. Do you have any suggestions? This girl is very short on funds and is trying to make a new start. My hubby is ok with changing parts but is no mechanic LOL. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank You Bev :cry:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    stick shift or automatic?
  • gchecksfieldgchecksfield Member Posts: 36
    03 Ion, 20K. Intermittent problem. Occurs most often when coasting to a stop, such as approaching a red light, then accelerating, because the light changed to green, just at the point when the car was ready to downshift into first gear. It feels like the car has been shifted into neutral; there is no power and the engine revs up just as it would act if the car was in neutral and you accelerated. Called a car show yesterday and was told Saturn is noted for sealing rings inside the clutch drums failing. Seems like a big problem for a car w/only 20K, but the car guy was not surprised. Do any readers know this to be a common problem, or have different thoughts?
  • kajunmomkajunmom Member Posts: 2
    1999 automatic
  • desk336desk336 Member Posts: 2
    Hoping you guys can help me. A couple of days ago when I was driving to work, my radio went off (not the stock radio). I changed the fuse the next day, and it still wouldn't work, so I went to Circuit City, had them remove the CD player so I can take it in to get fixed, and put in the stock radio again. Well... it still won't work. I double checked the fuse and that has not blown. I also noticed this morning that my fog lamps and rear window defrosters were not working. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?
    Might check the neutral safety switch and temporarily by pass it and see if the car starts (IN NEUTRAL PLEASE). This switch is usually attacked to the shift lever and prevents the car from starting in any gear except park or neutral. If it fails it can disconnect all current to the starter relay but you'll still have lights, radio, etc.
  • tilleymtilleym Member Posts: 1
    Was told by my local Saturn dealer that after 51,000 miles my brakes only had 10% of the original pads. Also, the cost to replace pads and rotors will be $349.00 + tax. I was advised that the rotors cannot be resurfaced and must be replaced.........any comments will be helpful.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Well the dealer is more expensive than an independent shop and yeah, I wouldn't try to turn the rotors after 51K miles either. You might save 30% going to a good private shop but you have to be careful of cheap parts.
  • desk336desk336 Member Posts: 2
    If it is just your front brakes it is not hard to do yourself. Go to a auto supply store like PepBoys where you can get the pads and rotors yourself. I'm a 21 year old female and not a big car person, but with my brother helping me, it only took me about 45 minutes to change my front brakes and the cost was extremely minimal, although I didn't have to buy new rotors and was able to have them resurfaced.
  • lightnin49lightnin49 Member Posts: 1
    Was driving my 2003 Vue yesterday when the Service light started flashing. Soon it stayed on steady and was joined by the Service Engine Soon light. Next, the tach, fuel gauge, and Temp guage took turns dropping to zero then jumping back up, but never at the same time. Any idea whats going on? Also, when I went to check the engine, the Hood release wouldn't work. Not a good day. Help?
  • golfboy12golfboy12 Member Posts: 1
    I recently rotated the tires on our 01 sl2 with 120K on it when the speed hits around 40mph you can hear a vibration that comes from the front. I thought the tire rotation might fix it. Any ideas?
  • cntrygurlcntrygurl Member Posts: 12
    i did call customer service they wont do anything about this car so my husband and i went and got a lemon law lawyer ,he said the car is a lemon and i have a good case against gm ,
  • rbillieuxrbillieux Member Posts: 36
    After finding out trans set off map sensor--cure--new filter and changing fluid after putting in cleaner -more problems--clicking sound when applying brakes--left front wheel--Firestone could not find out problem -now can hear it when just moving--gets louder when brakes applied--noise went away before when I overfilled master cylinder -new pads-all mech said rotors ok ^%%&(*( also not as bad slowing down as before but still too slow--cheap muffler?? Bob :lemon:
  • vickif1vickif1 Member Posts: 1
    "1 gear shifter bushing (famous Saturn problem fixed w/ 10-cent zip-ties) - 219K"

I have problems shifting into gear after my 98 Saturn sits for a while in cold weather. It can take up to 15 minutes to "warm up" so that I can put it in gear. Is this the gear-shifter bushing problem? If so, how do I fix it? I've had it in for repair but of course, the mechanic doesn't have the problem - even after I left the car there overnight. :(
  • patiesgirlpatiesgirl Member Posts: 1
    I've had many minor problems with my car, but nothing too significant until now. The low coolant indicator light has been coming on, and disappears once the car warms up. (coolant is not low) My car has always burned oil with highway mileage. I have 140,000 km on the car. Could this be a cracked head? or anyone know what this could be.
    Also the wipers stay on when its cold for no reason sometimes, and when i try to put the car into drive sometimes it doesn't go, i have to put the car into park and then put it into drive again. I'm really hoping it is nothing serious. If you know what signs I should be looking for to see if its a cracked head, or if you think it may be something else please email me at aprilb83@hotmail.com
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    A cracked head usually allows oil into the cooling system, and the rad overflow bottle gets coated with oil. If there's no oil in there, the most likely cause is piston oil rings stuck in their grooves. Usually requires engine disassembly to fix, but a healthy dose of GM Top Engine Cleaner might free them up.
  • smurinsmurin Member Posts: 1
    A few times when I've turned the key the car won't turn over. At first I thought I had a problem with my remote starter, but apparently not. The last time it happened I heard a click when turning the key, but nothing happens. Then all the idiot lights came on the and messaage center said to "service engine" (this has happend before), but this time when I removed the key all the lights stayed lit. After several minutes the idiot lights and message center finally went off and when I turned the key the car started. When this has happened the car does finally turn over after about 10 minutes, but this was the first experience with the idiot lights when the key wasn't in the ignition. Help?
  • blbdr650blbdr650 Member Posts: 1
    Our 05 Saturn ION wouldn't start this morning, very cold -7 this morning, I jumped it, but to no avail. After a few tries it would start and then turn off after about 5 seconds. We called Saturn, they said: "warm the key up and reinsert, maybe it will run". That didn't work. We called Saturn again, they said try this: "turn the key off and on 20 times quickly". We did this, and the car started.
    Good Luck!
  • dtom79dtom79 Member Posts: 1
    On a cold start my 96 Saturn SL, 158K, starts right up. After a drive and an engine cut off, I have a half-hour window where it'll start up fine again. Later than that and it misses and chokes to death with gas smell and valve clicking and pinging, and if I rev and flood the engine it'll fix itself. Service Engine Light was on before and pointed to EGR valve, which I replaced and promptly cleared the light. I've replaced the PCV valve, gotten new plugs and wires, checked the air filter. Any ideas or clues that could point me in the right direction? I feel like it's not keeping good compression on a warm start--bad valve seals?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and check for gas in the hose. If so, replace the regulator. If it's ok, have the coolant temp sensor checked by a shop with a scan tool.
    my 05 ion has the same problem it started when the car only had 75 miles on it i bought it brand new in feb.,been taking it back to the dealer for the 16th time ,i have a lemon law lawyer on this case because saturn wont do anything about fixing it ,also i am waiting for a regional manager from saturn to call me on monday dec,12th ,2005 if he doesnt call my husband is calling our local attorney general in on this case ,the service manager at the local saturn dealer and my lawyer both said this car is a lemon ,saturn said they dont know how to fix this problem ,no wonder why so many people on this forum are getting lawyers against gm ,i will never buy another gm again ,by the way my ion is a automatic . :lemon:
  • sk73sk73 Member Posts: 1
    Lately, my Saturn is slipping during stop and go traffic. At first, the car will ride fine. After some travel, the wrench light comes on and the car begins to jerk when accelerating from a stop. Any suggestions? I have taken it to a few shops and had the transmission fluid flushed, but it did not work. Some thought it might be a solenoid. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, did you find a solution (hopefully affordable)?
  • doyle2doyle2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi to all,

I'm new to the list but not to the problem, sadly. 2000 Saturn wagon. Sitting cold over night and now won't shift out of park. Put more transmission fluid in, which has worked before (it's stuck in gear before), but it has not helped. Sitting on a steep hill so can't measure fluid levels. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  • doyle2doyle2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi to all,

I thought my name would come up automatically when I posted the previous message so I'm just attaching it here. Thanks for any help you can provide to the question about the 2000 saturn wagon transmission problem noted in the previous message.

Doyle Sely
  • jdwootjdwoot Member Posts: 2
    My L200 has just over 37,600 miles on it. (These things always happen just after the warranty.) Today, I was driving when the Passlock light came on and then just as suddenly switched off. After a while I noticed that it was coming on and off more frequently. Then I noticed the light on the radio was flickering at the same time the passlock light was coming on, but not doing anything when the light shut off. The next thing I noticed was the coolant temp gauge and fuel gauge were going down to nothing, then returning to normal. When driving at night, I noticed that apparently the headlights were also flickering on and off with the passlock light turning on. There have been no other performance (i.e. fuel shut off) Has anyone else seen this type of behavior?
  • jpercivaljpercival Member Posts: 5
    I had a similar problem with my 2000 LS2. It started jerking from a dead stop. Felt like it was going from 1st to 4th gear in one jump. No power. This happend two times. both times selenoid in transmission needed changing. Went at about 23000 and 51000 miles. $600 each time.
    I had an LS2 2000. The brake peddle has an interlock of sorts with the transmission. Is you brake fully depressed when trying to take out of park?
    How old is your battery? Low battery and if a bad alternator. both shifting and fan are electrical based
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Well known problem with alternators in midsize GM vehicles. this is most likely the culprit.
  • jdwootjdwoot Member Posts: 2
    A follow-up to my original posting. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the BCM (Body Control Module) at no charge to me. They had to keep it overnight since they didn't have the part. They offered a rental car but we already had a hard time securing a rental car for another vehicle that was in an . Can't complain about that kind of service. :)
  • tazmandeviltazmandevil Member Posts: 1
    My wife recently purchase a 1999 Saturn SC2. When we took the for a overnight test drive. All the symptoms you described happed to us, a trip to the mechanic the next day. Turned up a bad alternator, if this car is under warrrenty, have them check it out, as they only need to run a computer diagnostic, a new alternator can run around $350.00 installed. Hope this helps
  • paigesdadpaigesdad Member Posts: 2
    Just traded in my 03 Vibe on a 04 V6 FWD Vue. The deal was too good to pass up. Blue, 24k, moonroof, power/heated seats, 6 speaker CD, like new condition. I paid $14,875 and added a 100k bumper to bumper extended warranty for another $1100 for a total of $15,975.
    So far I have driven it about 400 miles and just love it. The Honda V6 was the big selling point for me. I am averaging just under 25 mpg which I consider to be excellent for this type of vehicle.
    Now my question. I have a rather loud sqeaking type noise coming from the front end. It sounds like rubber rubbing together and only happens on road imperfections during slow speeds (like going over speed bumps for example). Its still under the factory warranty so it will be going to the dealer next week. I am just curious as to what it could be.
  • vvssatls1vvssatls1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Saturn L100 with barely 60000 miles on it. Suddenly I have to get a new engine because the timing chain slipped and caused a piston to go through the valve. From what I understand this isn't normal - has anyone else had a similar experience. Input appreciated.
  • yvettehyvetteh Member Posts: 1
    I have a Saturn Vue and I have always had problems with the starting of my Vue. It has eaten up 2 keys. now it will not turn to the lock position but it lets the key come out. I don't know what to do I can not find anyone to help me. Can anyone help Please you can start my car with no key :confuse:
    common Saturn problem unfortunately if one is to believe the various automotive forums online.
  • arky4lifearky4life Member Posts: 1
    this high idle, tac dying off and such happened to me on a 97 saturn just before ?after? my alternator died. I was on a lonely georgia highway, and distance from the first problem till the car shut down was about 70 miles. I tried to conserve battery, but I needed the lights and it was night. This is the only problem the car had in its first 78,000 miles. The dealership said that the new alternator was a higher rated unit.
  • luckyluckyluckylucky Member Posts: 2
    I have 1998 SL2 with similar problem as described above.

The car stalled on starting and while driving and with the foot on the acceleartor maintaining a steady speed, all of a sudden acceleration slowed by itself and lights dimmed out. Happened a couple of times. Fuel engine was replaced a year ago.

Could it be bad gas? or water in the gas?
    -L
  • luckyluckyluckylucky Member Posts: 2
    #494 of 549 95 SL2 Automatic - dies or almost dies after accelerating by satyrn Oct 20, 2005 (1:50 pm)
    I have a 95 SL2 1.9L DOHC with auto transmission. Car has been stalling while driving every month or so for the past year. Recently started stalling more frequently and eventually refused to start. Took it in and had the fuel pump replaced &f uel filter checked. Car now starts fine and runs fine mostly, but the stalling while driving still happens on occasion.

Last night happened again while on the freeway: while cruising around 55 mph, acceleated to pass another car. Car hesitated to accelerate, then after a few seconds did accelerate, then downshifted into 3rd while accelerating. After passing the car, my car shifted back into 4th. 20 seconds later while cruising around 65 mph, the car started to buck a bit. Put it in neutral and RPM dropped to about 300, then engine died. Was able to restart. I am unable to make the car stall on-demand.

There is a hill near where I live. When I accelerate to go up this hill, car does fine, but once I top out and begin to come down the other side and begin slowing to come to a stop, the car often stalls (4 out of 8 tries). Once, it came to a complete stop and did not die but idled very rough for a few minutes (which means it can't be the Torque Converter Clutch, right?). Engine Warning Light came on for a few minutes but then went off.

Any ideas what's wrong? The mechanic who replaced the fuel pump thinks it might be the torque converter clutch or the solenoid-driven valve used by it. I am wondering if it isn't the Throttle Position Sensor.

I am considering unplugging the Torque Converter Clutch as a way to rule it out. Any concerns in doing so?

Thanks,
    - Michael

******** My Question ***********

I have 1998 SL2 with similar problem as described above.

The car stalled on starting and while driving and with the foot on the acceleartor maintaining a steady speed, all of a sudden acceleration slowed by itself and lights dimmed out. Happened a couple of times. Fuel engine was replaced a year ago.

Could it be bad gas? or water in the gas?
    -L
  • bnbbnb Member Posts: 2
    Can any one send me directions on how to program a remote keyless entry?
  • jenmacjenmac Member Posts: 1
    I feel I am extremely fortunate after reading all of these posts. I have a 1993 saturn that I have had since April 2004 I bought it in Southern California for $800. I believe that it has never seen snow. I decided to move back to Ohio, I drove my little buddy across the country in November. it went through mountains and it's first snow just fine. When I got to Ohio all it needed was an oil change. I have been driving it ever since.

I am just now having problems with it, fuel line freeze up, and just common problems like the oil burning and the roof leaking. The odometer stopped at 176,450 miles about 8 months ago and I drive an hour to work 3x a week. So I bet I'm pretty close to 200,000 miles.

As long as you take care of it, there shouldn't be too many problems. Best car i've ever had!! :blush:
    i have a 2005 ion quad cpe 3 i bought it in feb of 05 after 15 times to the dealer i called my consumer protection agency well finally after 11 months of dealing with this lemon of a car saturn decided to buy it back ,so i needed a car and i told my husband i would never buy another gm we went out and bought 2006 chrysler pt cruiser ,the cruiser is more comfortable and has more room than the ions ,im just glad i dont have to deal with the ion always breaking down and the dealer saying they cant fix it ....so for all you people having problems go to your states consumer protection agency they can help you just as well aas a lawyer can
  • itcampbellitcampbell Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought a '96 SL2, and my doorlocks have stopped locking or unlocking all of a sudden today. Only one works, and that is my driver's side door. it only UNlocks. When I try to unlock or lock it, I can hear the mechanism try, but it doesn't work for some reason. I made sure the locks were totally open with my key, because I thought they might be caught between a state of lockedness and unlockedness, but it didn't do anything. I have no idea what it is, any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!
    Ian Campbell
  • megan7026megan7026 Member Posts: 3
    My 06 ion quad coupe 2 just recently started doing this: when i come to a complete stop, and then accelerate, the car jerks fairly hard when the gears change. the car only has 4000 miles on it, and the check engine light just came on for the second time in a week (both times going right back to saturn so they can deal with it.) im scared as a first time buyer, i may have had the luck of buying a lemon. how did you turn out?
  • megan7026megan7026 Member Posts: 3
    Help!
    My brand new ion, with only 4000 miles on it had the check engine light come one twice this week! On Monday, when i got in my car for the first time since the beginning of the weekend, the service engine light came on. I drove it 40 miles to a saturn dealer by my parents, they gave it back that night, told me that codes P0700 and P0717 were present, they reprogramed the ECM and cleared the light. Well, surprise, surprise, 24 hours later, the light came back on. Now the dealer is telling me that an external sensor on my transmission needs to be replaced and will take almost a week. Im not too happy with the way the cars driving, or the service at saturn...any suggestions??
    I have other problems solved--transmission fluid was dirty--map sensor was set off by trans--company did not change filter or clean screen--put cleaner in then later did both Now I was wondering if you know why one rear door will stop working--left rear --no noise--door does not lock and will open but will set off alarm --will lock manually but will not open with others--child control not engaged if fuses-all would not work Bob Billieux :lemon:
    Change trans fluid immediately and filters flush too-drop pan and clean if this does not do the trick Bob Billieux
  • barb198barb198 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Ion with about 7000 miles on it. It is developing a very loud rattle in the dash somewhere to the left of the steering wheel. Has anyone else had this problem or know what it might be?
This discussion has been closed.