Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet/Geo Metro

Comments

• zaken1zaken1 Member Posts: 556
    Hi again,

The firing order on that distributor runs COUNTERCLOCKWISE; with the #1 wire located at about 12 o'clock on the cap, and # 1 cylinder being the one closest to the timing belt. If you read the firing order on the cap clockwise from #1; it should be 1-2-3. If that is not the problem; I would change the distributor cap and rotor.

Joel
    If you use a rag soaked with solvent to thoroughly wipe and clean off all oil and debris from the underside of the pan and the inside surface of the pulley, and then let the motor run in neutral for a while, you should be able to see where the leak is originating from. But if you drive the car before you inspect it, the wind will blow the oil around; and it will be much harder to see where the leak is located. If it is not coming from directly underneath the pulley; the pan gasket may have been damaged or improperly installed; or the sealing surfaces may not have been completely cleaned of old gasket material before the new gasket was installed.
    After further reflection on your problem, I want to add that if my suggestions about the firing order and distributor cap/rotor were not the answer; then this would sound to me like either the spark does not have enough energy to fire the plugs during cranking; or the crankshaft position sensor is bad.. If either the CPS was really bad, or the spark was too weak; then the reflected pulse created by disconnecting the # 1 plug wire would "kick" the system in a similar way to what the CPS is normally designed to do, and the timing of that pulse might be close enough to persuade the engine to start. Since CPS failures are relatively common; that would be the first item I would suspect.

But if the CPS is not the answer, then I would go through the ignition and electrical system; looking for potential sources of low voltage. The most likely items to check would be:

Plugs partially fouled, or gaps set too wide; or side electrode, series gap, or surface gap plug being used (all of which would create an excessively high ignition voltage requirement).

Alternator output low or non-existent

Battery condition and connections

Ignition switch has excessive resistance

Ignition coil primary connections possibly reversed

Distributor pick up coil air gap set too wide

Ignition module defective

I hope this helps!!!
  • shaggyman1shaggyman1 Member Posts: 28
    The CPS is a possibility- I'll swap it out. I replaced the cap with a higher quality one, thinking that it could be crossing off the #1, but the spark is pretty good (enough to support 75 MPH with no hesitation) now that cap has been replaced.
    I'm now looking at fuel injection- NOT cool. When cold, the manifold is quite wet, a mirror down in the TB does not show anything I would call a spray pattern. I replaced the injector with no change- I think it is not the problem.
    A Noid does not flash when Ignition is turned on, and a test lamp connected to battery and the Yellow/Black wire on the Injector Connector does not flash.
    Swapped ECM- no change.
    At this very moment I am re doing the ECM grounds (thinking of running a parallel wire from battery to grounds on manifold, as well as under the dash), and checking the injection control circuit at the ECM harness- appears to be open.

I'll keep you posted- it would be really nice to finally solve the problem that has been plaguing me since April.....
  • eric61eric61 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone.
    So I hooked up the altenator and when I connected the ground to the battery I snapped the big yellow 60 amp fuse sitting next to the battery. I disconnected the big altenator wire, thinking it might be shorted out, but when testing with test light it didn't go on. The test light comes on when I touched the altenator because it is grounded. I got a new fuse and with the battery ground connected I touched the big altenator wire to the altenator connection and a big spark and another $2.99 fuse burned. I pulled off the altenator thinking maybe it's shorted out and took it to the shop where it tested OK. Am I stupid and missing something here? Thanks in advance for help. Eric
  • ccs_metroccs_metro Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 Chevy Metro. had 190,000 mi.s when I bought it. I had the transmission fluid changes when I had the oil changed right after I bought the car. Around 200,000 my transmission started being hard to shift. No noise, just slow and hard. I read on this forum that I should check the grease. I put in Chevy Metro synthetic fluid and the problem went away - it shifts great. However, now I have a jingling noise in 1st thru 4th gear. Is this a big problem?
  • vanillalattevanillalatte Member Posts: 70
    I may be wrong but it seems like your clutch bearing is going.
    Make sure when the mechanic replaces it that he pays particular attention to the seal. He must not slam the tranny in place.

It happened to me and oil was leaking onto the clutch with the effect that the engine was revving at 5000 and the car not moving.
    good luck of course in finding this irritant.
    Thanks for the reply!
    I had the entire clutch assembly changed out about a year ago. The clutch feels solid and I have no leaks. This noise is actually amplified in the shifter - kind of a light rattle or jingling. If I hold the shifter to one side it goes away.
    My Metro has done that for years. It comes and goes over time. Seems to be a result of the trans linkage loosening up after many miles of use. Mine becomes less noticeable when the engine runs better and strains less. I would not be surprised if heavy gear oil, which makes shifting more difficult, would reduce that noise. But I certainly would not use heavy gear oil to get rid of that noise. Better to live with the noise and shift easier.

I'm curious about the Geo synthetic gear oil you mentioned: Is that sold by Chevy dealers? In the US or just in Canada? And what is the brand and viscosity?
    I got the synthetic oil from a Chevy dealer. I will have to check the brand name and viscosity, but it matches the 'spec lube' for the 2000 Metro. I will reply with the info later.
  • johnnymnemonicjohnnymnemonic Member Posts: 10
    Anyone selling a Quality Geo Metro,I am from California.
    Last I heard, they frown on using this site for selling vehicles. But Metros are becoming rarer all the time. I bought my 1990 3 cylinder, 5 speed hatchback in 1992. And at that time, there were no Metros within 50 miles of San Jose. So I had to drive all the way to Hollister to get that car. And I've never regretted it. Just be sure to run a compression test (spec is 195 psi on 3 cylinder motors), and by all means avoid automatics.
  • johnnymnemonicjohnnymnemonic Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the reply.Will take note of that.

I saw this ad.It was a 97 metro they were selling it for 1995$.It still has a good paint from the picture.

I will have a look at it.
  • cafanncafann Member Posts: 27
    My mother has a metro 4cyl with auto trans. been running great still does however a noise has come up and until I can confirm what it is she'd not driving it.

The noise is like a metal rattling sound when the engine is running. It sounds over near the belts, so the pass side of the car. I listen sloser to the engine and it sounds within right near the belts.I noticed something sounded funny weeks ago but now the sound is much louder.

Ideas?
  • thejunglelovethejunglelove Member Posts: 2
    I have a 90' Geo Metro that will not start, I have changed the battery and ignition switch. I have traced 12v to ignition switch, to the fuses in the engine compartment, starter, and the alternator. I have pulled the ECM and checked it for damage and corrosion and it is clean. I have traced the schematics and it all goes back to the ECM. I have no aux power to the dash or radio. The key sound goes off when the door is open and the dome light comes on. I just do not know what else it could be with out having to spend the money for a new ECM.

Please help,

The Jungle
    I would expect the noise comes from either the water pump, alternator, or the timing belt tensioner. You can prove or disprove the water pump and alternator by disconnecting the drive belt. (it is OK to run the motor without the drive belt if you do so for less than 60 seconds). If the noise is no longer there when the motor runs; then I would replace one of those two items. While the drive belt is disconnected; try rocking the water pump and alternator pulleys. There should be no side play noticeable in either of those pulleys. Replace any one in which you can feel noticeable play. If the noise continues when the drive belt is disconnected, it probably comes from the timing belt tensioner or idler pulley. The timing belt should be changed at 90,000 miles, anyway.
    From what you wrote; it is not clear to me whether the starter runs or not. If the problem is that the starter doesn't crank the engine; the clutch switch (on manual transmission vehicles) or the neutral safety switch (on automatic transmission vehicles) is probably defective. The clutch switch can be temporarily bypassed by shorting the terminals in its plug together. But I have also seen the starter stop working when barely visible corrosion developed on the washers between the battery cable end and the nut on the starter. And, of course, starters can also go bad.

The ECM on these vehicles is far less likely to fail than just about any other part on the car; so I would set that concern aside unless it is later conclusively proved.

There is also another fuse block under the dashboard. If you haven't already done so; I would pull and test each fuse in that block with an ohmmeter (because fuses can go open but still look good to the eye). I have also seen Metro fuse blocks develop internal open circuits; so you might check whether there is power at each fuse. Remember that some fuses are wired to only be hot when the key is on.

But back to the starting problem: The way to simplify starting problems is to first determine whether the problem comes from lack of spark, fuel, or compression. A compression problem could be caused by the timing belt breaking or jumping out of sync. If the timing belt broke; it would also shut down the spark. So the easiest way to begin would be to remove the distributor cap, crank the starter, and see whether the distributor rotor turns. If the rotor spins at a steady pace; then the timing belt has not broken; but it still may have jumped out of sync. The next thing to do is to turn the crankshaft pulley until the timing mark lines up with the 6 degree BTDC mark on the degree scale on the timing cover. Then take another look at the distributor rotor; the rotor tip should point either straight up; or straight down. If the rotor points anywhere else (even by a small amount) then the timing belt has jumped out of position. Incidentally, a jumped or broken timing belt will also make the starter spin faster than normal; and the engine will sound different than usual while cranking.

If the above test did not locate the source of the problem; the next thing to do is to check for spark. The proper way to do this is to borrow one of the plug wires from the distributor cap, and temporarily plug it into the coil. Insert a clean spark plug into the plug boot on that wire, and clamp or tape the spark plug so that its threads rest on the metal of the engine block (or on another metal surface which you know is electrically grounded to the engine.) When you crank the engine; there should be a steady series of blue/white sparks between the plug electrodes. If there are no sparks, or the sparks are yellow or faint; measure the resistance of the plug wire. There should be less than 1,000 ohms resistance for each inch of wire length. Be sure to contact the metal terminals at both ends of the wire with the meter probes. If the coil wire, or any plug wire has excessive resistance; replace the entire wire set.

If you are still not getting sparks in the above test; then either the coil, the ignition module, or the distributor pick up unit is defective. The distributor pick up unit is more likely to cause this problem than either of the other parts. Here's a test you can do to check the distributor pick up: Get a known good 1.5 volt flashlight battery (either AA, AAA, C, or D cell) and two 4" to 6" lengths of 14 to 18 gauge electrical wire with the insulation stripped back 3/8" from each end. Remove the distributor cap, and find the ignition module inside the distributor. It is the part with the wire that goes out through the side of the distributor and ends at a white harness plug. The module also has two screw terminals on it; to which the wires from the pick up unit attach.(On 1990 Metros built for the Canadian market, the ignition module will be mounted on the firewall near the coil.)

Leave the plug wire and spark plug connected to the coil as it was for the spark test. Turn on the ignition switch to the position where the dashboard warning lights come on. Then hold or firmly tape one end of each length of electrical wire so it is pressed against an end of the battery, and briefly touch the other ends of the wires to the two screw terminals on the module. There should be a spark at the spark plug each time you touch the wires to the screws. If you were not getting sparks before, but this test produces sparks; then the pick up coil is defective. The way to run this test on Canadian vehicles is to disconnect the harness plug next to the distributor; and with the key on, briefly touch the two flashlight battery wires to the terminals in the plug section which goes to the firewall. If at first you don't get sparks in this test; try reversing the position of the two flashlight battery wires.

If there is still no spark in this test; the ignition module is probably defective.

If you get sparks from the tests; and the motor cranks but still doesn't start; the problem is in the electric fuel pump, fuel pump relay, or fuel pump fuse. Another possibility might be that the distributor cap is either cracked or carbon tracked; or that the distributor rotor is internally shorted to ground.
  • samcrosamcro Member Posts: 5
    I have a '91 Geo Metro with 119,000 miles on it that recently started missing pretty bad at idle. Gas mileage went from a great 49 mpg to a ho-hum 37mpg. As soon as I give it a little throttle the miss pretty much goes away but it is really hard to take off when it is running on 2 cylinders at an intersection. I did a compression test and looking at the engine from the front of the car I started on the left (front) side of the engine. Results were as follows: Cylinder #1 = 175 psi, #2 = 26 psi and finally #3 = 171 psi. I think I have a bad valve...what do you think? I'm going to replace the head with a new rebuilt unit and at the same time I want to put rings and bearings in it plus a new oil pump. Let me know if I need anything else. I've heard that I can do all of this without taking out the engine...is this correct?
  • thejunglelovethejunglelove Member Posts: 2
    I am sorry that I did not make myself clear before about the starting problem :surprise: . The ignition will not even turn over. I turn the ignition switch to the acc and nothing. I have power coming of the wire but it goes into the ECM and that is were I lose it. I have no instrument panel lights and there is nothing when I turn the key. I will have to check the fuses under the dash again, because I just did a visual when I pulled them out. Thank you for all of your information.
    so i'm not the type to work on the car myself. so if i take it into the a shop what would be the best advice for me to ask the mechanic to check out and/or replace?

I thought something is wrong with the alternator because she said the car died on her a stop since this noise appeared. at our last oil change was told that belt is cracked but i figured a belt wouldn't make a metal rattling sound. but with that belt being bad, could that be causing something running on that belt to be making that metal rattling noise?
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Never received a prompt about a new post on this forum. The notification software is sometimes unreliable (but it is still a great resource). The only reason I'm here now is that I spotted your visit to my cubbyhole.

From the compression test results, it is not just one bad cylinder. ALL of the cylinders are below specs (stock compression pressure is 195psi). But judging from the excellent mileage you were recently getting; I doubt the motor wore out suddenly. Instead, it sounds highly likely that the valves have become coated with deposits from the use of cheap fuel. And these deposits are making the valves stick in their guides and not seat consistently; which drops the compression pressures. So, before you tear into the engine, I would strongly recommend buying a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system and combustion chamber cleaner; and adding the whole bottle to the gas tank just before filling the tank with fuel. If you have caught it early enough, this miracle product may save you a whole bunch of money and labor. Please do not use a different brand. This is the most effective cleaner available. It usually takes 50 to 75 miles of driving for this product to clean out the deposits. If it brings the compression up, I would suggest using only high quality branded fuel (Chevron, Texaco, or Shell), to reduce the likelihood that this problem will repeat. If you are using NGK spark plugs; I would also replace then with Autolite #63 spark plugs, gapped @ .042".

Unless you have evidence to the contrary, I would be surprised if the rings, bearings or oil pump need replacement at this mileage. If the compression does not come up after the Techron cleaning, I would just have the head rebuilt. Please note that there is a huge difference in the quality of machine work done by different shops; and all too much of it is substandard. So I would go out of my way to use a machine shop that is known for doing premium quality work on high performance engines. A production head remanufacturer may or may not do good work.

If you have good reason to want to replace the rings; I would suggest first checking the cylinder bores for taper. If the bore taper is out of specs; then a set of new rings will not do the job. Also, by the time the rings on a Japanese motor need replacing; the ring grooves in the pistons will usually have become worn to the point that compression will leak past the rings through the grooves. That is why piston replacement (and possibly reboring the cylinders) is often necessary in order to recover original engine performance.

If that level of work was necessary, I personally would exchange the motor for a high quality remanufactured motor from Hiperformer Engines, in Spokane Washington. They provide a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty on their motors; and have the lowest return rate in the industry. They are the exclusive supplier of remanufactured motors for the NAPA auto parts chain; but they also sell directly to the public, at astonishingly low prices. Their Geo Metro long blocks cost around $1,300 plus shipping. And they ship anywhere in the US at very low prices. Check out their website at www.hiperformer.com
  • samcrosamcro Member Posts: 5
    Thanks so much Zaken1...your knowledge is amazing and I'm going to the parts house as soon as possible to get some Techron! Thanks so much for the info.
  • johnkeljohnkel Member Posts: 1
    It quite running and won't start but turns over. It's a 1.3 4 cyl. with auto trans. It has 64,000 miles and has been a great car. The timing belt is good. It won't fire or inject fuel. I've tried 2 used computers and that made no difference. I'm wondering about the map sensor, temperature sensor or throttle position sensor. It has a new crank shaft position sensor and a new cam sensor. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new computer. Any ideas out there?? Thanks a lot, JohnKel
    A defective belt might or might not create a resonant noise in one of the pulleys; but since it is uncertain, there is no point in sitting around and speculating about it: That belt should be replaced anyway; if the noise stops after the belt is replaced, then the belt was the source of the problem. If the noise continues with a new belt; then the noise was not coming from the belt.

If you take the car to a mechanic; describe the noise and tell them that you hear it coming from the passenger side of the motor, but you don't know where the source is. Ask them to replace the belt (preferably with a Goodyear Gatorback, if available) and suggest that they check the alternator and water pump pulleys for free rotation and excessive side play while the belt is off; to see whether either of them are the source of the noise. Before removing the old belt; the mechanic should also be able to use a stethescope or a wooden rod (such as a broom handle) while the motor is running, to touch the housing (not the pulley!!!) of each part while pressing their ear against the other end of the stick. That should make it obvious where the noise is coming from. Come to think of it; you could also do that yourself, to see if you can find the source, before taking the car in. All rotating objects on the motor will produce some amount and type of noise; but what you should look for is an object that produces substantially more noise than any other part. Just be careful to not let the stick become entangled in the moving belt.

If neither the belt, the alternator, nor the water pump is causing the noise; then the timing belt cover should be removed; in order to inspect the timing belt, the timing belt tensioner, and the idler pulley. I expect the source of the sound will be located by that time. And the timing belt should be replaced arbitrarily; if you do not know when it was last done; or if it has been more than 60,000 miles since the last replacement. I usually replace mine at 90,000; but if you already have opened the cover, it would be appropriate to do it then, even if it is a little early. Labor is expensive these days.
    There is another stupid GM better idea on that car; called the ECM main relay. It is a cheap relay that is operated by the ECM; which can fail and shut everything down. Rock Auto gets $5.28 for the Beck Arnley relay # 2030133; or $27.79 for the equivalent AC Delco relay # 212360. Beck Arnley is usually top quality; but the unit in their photo is labeled "made in Taiwan." So this is one application where I might prefer the more expensive AC Delco unit. Incidentally; this relay is identical to the fuel pump relay and the fuel injector relay; so you might try swapping them out, just to see whether that brings back the spark. I believe these relays are located in or next to the underhood the fuse box; on the driver's side, in front of the shock tower.
  • crbobrcrbobr Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a 91 Metro 3 cyl a/t. Odometer: 129,000. The owner said that it had low compression in no.1 cyl. In starting, it spins like the plugs are out.. but starts up quickly and runs ok. In drive it shakes and with ac on, it will not idle. It drives ok and shifts ok but does smoke a little and uses a lot of oil. I attempted to remove the valve cover and the cyl head, but was unable to break the valve cover loose. What's holding it on ? Just 4 nuts holding it but it will not break loose. I suspect burned valves, but cannot check without removing the cyl head. HELP !!!
    That valve cover can be a puzzle! I haven't removed mine, but I did take the nuts off, and found that the nuts attach to specially shaped studs, which fit closely in the valve cover. This suggests that the studs prevent any side movement; which precisely positions the gasket surface. Because of this, I expect that it will not be helpful to try moving the valve cover from side to side to break it loose. The only direction that looks like it will work is to pry it straight up, at as many different points as possible. There probably is gasket cement on the old gasket; which will make it that much harder to move.
    That's pretty much how I saw it.. But I've tried for some time now and I'm afraid I'm going to break something.. There aren't many places where prying up can be safely done.. Anyone else got any ideas ???
    The only other thoughts that come to my mind are that either the studs which the acorn nuts thread onto hold the valve cover down at their bottom end; so they also have to be removed (with some kind of special tool); or that there are some additional bolts which secure the timing side end of the valve cover, from inside the timing cover.
  • vanillalattevanillalatte Member Posts: 70
    Hi there.
    The studs have small "gaskets". Pull straight up. Hard. The new gasket kit will have new ones also.
    CHANGE that valve cover for a 93 or 94. Your 91 has a smooth top, the later ones are ribbed. The "tube" in the back of it is placed differently and you will not aspirate as much oil fumes. This is one of the culprits of you using a lot of oil. Don't forget to also get that small hose it is different.
    Hope that I was of help.
    Have fun and don't give up on your little three banger.
    Oh and Happy New Year to all !
  • pipemanpipeman Member Posts: 58
    Do not remove the valve cover yet. Remove spark plugs and check compression on each cylinder. Before you will crank the engine, remover the fuel relay - this will protect the spray fuel to combustion.
    If you have low compression below 50 psi on cyl. 1 - you got bad rings or bad exhaust valve.
    If you want check the rings are OK on cyl.1, put few drops of engine oil in cyl. 1 and crank the engine few times. After that, check the compression. If compression go up, you got problem with rings.
    If you will check compression, on each cylinder - crank the engine 8 times on each cylinder.
    Personally, I will remove the engine and rebuild. Good engine with 120000 miles should build up 175/185 psi easy.
    To remove the valve cover - remove the nuts first - all of them and also the small ones. After that gently "bump" the cover with rubber hammer on all sides around. Should come easy.
    DO NOT FORCE.
    Any questions?
    Thank you for that informative reply.. I followed your instructions and found comp on #1- 30; #2- 45; #3- 160.. Adding oil in the spark-plug hole made no difference.. In an earlier post, someone suggested this problem could be caused by build-up carbon and named an additive to try before tearing engine down.. What do you think ? As to the valve cover.. Looks like to me.. there are only 4 small nuts holding the valve cover on.. I removed them and tapped with a block of wood and light hammer blows.. Does not break loose.. You say.. DO NOT FORCE.. Well.. If not force.. then WHAT ??? Thanks for your help..
    The reason I suggested to the earlier poster that it would be worth running Techron through his motor, in case the valve stems were sticking; was because his car had previously been getting excellent gas mileage, and there was no mention of exhaust smoke or excessive oil consumption. Also; two of his cylinders had compression above 170. So that seemed like a likely candidate for Techron.

But your motor has been smoking; which is NOT caused by sticking valves, and the compression is worse in your motor than it was in the other one. So I think it is much less likely that Techron will work here.
  • ggeeooggeeoo Member Posts: 94
    Other than the bulbs or the back up light transmission switch and fuse. What
    else could stop the back up lights not to work?
    A disconnected harness plug in the rear of the car, or a broken or corroded ground connection for the ground wire from the back up light assembly to the body.
    Do not add any fuel addetives.
    With this compression 30, 45, 160 - you have a compression problem. I forged ask you - if you turn the engine ( each cylinder) 8 times - you must press down the accelerator pedal to the floor. Full flow of the air.
    Before opening the valve cover - please fill the tank with 94 octane gas and drive few days.
    If is any carbon build up, the high octane fuel will slowly remove the carbon.
    Please spray every day wd-40 0r good penetraiting oil on the small nuts on the top of the valve cover. This will help to remover the nuts.
    Remember - you must unsrew the nuts. Make small sharp end scredriver ( very sharp point end) - used small hammer by bumping the crewdriver counterclockwise on the side of the nuts. You will slowly move the nuts - if you relase the tension - use players with long "nose" to uscrew completly. It is not a complicated job but - passion, dedication.
    Thanks for the reply.. O K.. When you say.."nuts".. Well.. the small nuts come off easiely.. Then there are some small round things under the nuts, maybe still holding the valve cover in place.. What are these things and is that the instructions you are giving me ? I will take your advice and try the high octane gas first.. Thanks again..
    O K .. pipeman.. I followed your instructions.. mostly.. I added a bottle of chevron fuel-injector/carbon remover and put in 5 gallons of high octane gas.. The oil was a little low so I added a quart of Marvel Mystery oil to the engine oil.. then I drove the car for about 60 miles at about 55mph. Hard to believe.. If I did not know better.. it would be hard to tell there was anything wrong with the engine.. It zipped along up and down hills like I would expect a normal car to do.. Then I headed home and opened the hood.. One of the places where I had been prying on the valve cover attempting to loosen it.. was now pouring oil.. I pulled the plugs and did another comp check.. Puzzling.. #1 - 30. the same.. #2 - 70. went up.. #3 - 145. went down...Course this time the engine was warm.. and the spark plug tips were clean as new.. They had been very oily before.. So.. the chevron and the high octane gas definitely cleaned the combustion chambers.. But now I know I have a compression problem.. And I go from there.. I had several replies from other interested folks.. Many thanks to you all.. Now to the "fun part".. Pull the head and see how bad things are there... My oil pres is good so I think I'll try to do just a head job..
  • kaleb62kaleb62 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Chevy Metro LSI 4 door and i'm pulling my hair out because of a loud whirring noise coming from the engine compartment. It's so loud you cant even hear yourself sometimes and people stare at my car when i pull up or at a stop....it's embarrassing.
    My wife was driving the car back and forth to work and one day it just started making the noise. Everything else is ok on the car. I pinpointed it to the alternator area checked the belt which wasn't loose at all & even sprayed some belt ease on it to no avail.One day i was driving in a rainstorm, and hit a big puddle and water got up in the engine compartment and all of the sudden the noise stopped! The car ran like it did before the noise started, which in this little car it's so quiet you cant even tell the motor is running . I called Autozone for an altenator and they want $ 125 bucks! with a $72 dollar core deposit! Can someone tell me if it's the altenator? or ?? cause if i dont get this repaired soon i think im going to take this car to the wrecking yard and have them crush it..it's really annoying... :mad:
    Well, Kaleb... I'm no mechanic.. and I got my own problems.. but I'd trade problems with you in a heartbeat !! Don't get too centered on that alternator.. They're lots of moving parts under the hood of that car.. My suggestion.. Take the car for a "professional" oil change.. While there.. Tell them.. "Oh.. by the way, guys.. check that whirring noise.. I can't figure out what it is.."
    It is very difficult to pinpoint the source of a noise by just moving your head around in the engine compartment. And I sure wouldn't risk my money on the opinion of a typical unskilled, minimum wage worker at most oil change places. These people are not mechanics; and they are not experienced at engine diagnosis. The method used by professional mechanics is much more precise and reliable. Just get a non metallic stick (like a wooden broom handle, or a length of stiff plastic pipe. Garden hose is not good for this, because it is too soft, and will absorb too much sound) While the motor is running, place one end of the stick so that it touches the alternator housing, and hold your ear against the other end of the stick. BE SURE TO HOLD THE STICK OR PIPE SO THAT IT CANNOT GET CAUGHT UP IN THE FAN BELT OR IN ANY MOVING OBJECT, SUCH AS A PULLEY! If you use a pipe instead; hold the lower end of the pipe just above the alternator, and press the upper end of the pipe to your ear. If the alternator is the source of the noise; it will be heard much louder through the stick when it touches the alternator. If the noise through the stick or pipe does not become louder when touching or next to the alternator; try moving around and touching the stick or pipe to other nearby objects, such as the water pump, the power steering pump, and the automatic transmission. The usual source for noises like you describe is a power steering pump which has run out of fluid.
    Just remove the belt from the alternator and start the car. you will know the difference
    thank you for the very informative reply. I recently called a mechanic and he wanted to hear it then would give me some ideas. So, today went to my mothers house to get the car and it doesn't start. Related? It tries to start but just doesn't. Lights and everything work engine just won't start. So now I need to tow it which will prolong a fix. I'm curious to know an opinion on this new problem cause if it's not related I can get it started so that the mechanic can actually hear it instead of fixing that first then the next.

Thank you all
  • ggeeooggeeoo Member Posts: 94
    There is a bracket that holds the alternator onto the engine, It is made of sheet
    metal. It will and has cracked, When it does the alternator is not aligned to the
    engine and the belt whines. The fix replace that bracket get it from a Pick your
    part place it is held on by 13 or 14 mm bolts two or three as I recall.
    I don't know whether you have already taken the car to the mechanic or not; but from the apparent hesitancy you've displayed toward personally implementing any of the suggestions posted here, it would seem that there would be a much greater delay if you struggled to get the car to start yourself; in comparison to the amount of time it would take a trained, experienced mechanic to fix the starting problem and also fix the source of the noise. There are innumerable reasons why the car might not start. In view of the complexity of sorting out the starting problem; it sounds like it would be far more appropriate, effective, and speedy to just let a mechanic deal with the whole thing.

If you post a question here; you're going to get as many different answers as there are people who feel like answering your question. And, since none of us are fortune tellers or wizards; there's no way for you to determine which answer you receive is the right one. It's all a crap shoot. Don't expect to receive a magic answer here which will eliminate the need for a commercial mechanic. It just doesn't work that way. And many mechanics will resent you coming in and telling them that you have a better idea than they do. The appropriate purpose for this forum is to offer suggestions to people who are working on their own vehicles, and need some additional direction; or people who have been dealing with a shop which can't figure out the source of a particular problem. But neither of those seem to be what's going on in your case. I'd like to suggest that the most effective way to work with the people who answer your question here is to give them feedback by trying their suggestions and reporting whether they worked or not. When you don't offer any feedback on what has already been suggested; it gives me the sense that you're not interested in methodically working the problem out; but are just hoping to receive a magic answer that suddenly turns on a bright light and cuts through all the uncertainty. But that's not what it's like to repair automobiles in the real world. We professionals (and also the good amateurs) usually can only learn about the nature of a problem from repeated trial and error. And sometimes that can be very time consuming and frustrating. There's no free lunch in the world; not there, and not here either.

But, that said; if I had to guess about the one issue which would create both the noise and would eventually keep the car from starting; my guess would be that the timing belt has jumped or become damaged. But I sure wouldn't bet my own time or money that it isn't anything else...
  • jjm1974jjm1974 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to replace my 1997 geo metro headlight but I just cant get the old one out. I remove the two screws I see that are holding it but it is still stuck in the corner somewhere. Anyone knows how to remove it?
    If it's like my '91; I had the same problem.. What I found was that there are two "guides" underneath the light assemblies that you cannot see. They rust and are hard to pry out so.. what I did was to reach up and feel for the screw heads and remove them from the bottom.. They are directly under the front corners and are phillips head screws. Good luck..
    Well... thanks I guess.

Anyway found it to be the AC compressor. Removed the belt and runs like a top. Will worry about replacing the compressor when the weather warms up.

Anyone know if you can "test" an AC compressor? Probably will get one from a junk/wrecking yard due to cost of a new/rebuilt one at the parts stores.
    I agree with your plan to replace the compressor with one from a wrecking yard. The only test you can do in advance would be to spin the pulley, and see whether it turns freely. But that still wouldn't test what the compressor does when the A/C clutch is engaged. Nevertheless, most wrecking yards will stand behind their parts; by giving you another one if the one you originally buy does not work. It would be a good idea to confirm the warranty with the yard when you buy the replacement unit. It will also be necessary to refill the system with refrigerant when the compressor is changed. So this is a job for a shop to do.
  • rx7420rx7420 Member Posts: 3
    ive almost giving up on this geo sparks good and gas is good and timing is good it has a hard time starting and when i come to a light it idle rough and wants to die when it dosent stal it idls like crap any ideas and it fails emissions badly