Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW New Beetle (GL, GLS & GLX)

Comments

• Options
    BwummerBwummer Member Posts: 46
    Now I admit that I haven't studied chemistry in a while. But I do remember that a fingernail is a mere 3 on the Hardness Scale.... not strong enough to scratch most substances. I can say for sure that fingernails don't scratch the paint on your car. I regularly use mine (fingernails) to remove stubborn bug, bird do-do, and tar stains from my paint, and I've never scratched it yet. In fact, it's tough to even scratch a good carbona wax job with a fingernail.

No, most scratches around door handles are caused by rings -- especially the diamond variety. Remember, a 10 (of 10) on the hardness scale: will scratch anything. Which is why my Corrado had a scratch the whole way down the window: my wife had her hand against it as she rolled it down.

Other culprits of scratched paint include keys, belt buckles, clips and zipper handles on handbags/briefcases, and other similar objects.

But not fingernails.
  • Options
    rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I don't mean scratch as in take the paint off the car but they do put marks on the paint, especially womens long painted nails. My last BMW had marks on the paint from finger nails around the handles, they do polish off. I've seen plastic guards available for the New Beetle and old beetles had them too. Why do you think when the Audi dealer did my A6 that they included the door handle area? I didn't ask for it, it was part of the clear bra in front and the mirrors.
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    You said you bought your Audi in Colorado? Probably the same dealership where I got the NB (was Continental VW/Audi, now McDonald). All the VW's go through the "clear bra" treatment .. as explained above, it's applied to the front of the car (about halfway up the hood and front fenders) and protects the car from gravel, rocks, etc.
  • Options
    Ok, rick, I'll buy that answer.

I guess I'm lucky in that no one who rides in my car regularly uses nail polish, or even has long nails for that matter. My wife keeps hers as short as mine.

Of course, because I opened my big mouth, this afternoon I barely stopped my 3-year-old in time. He was bearing down on the door with the car keys firmly clutched in a tiny fist, aiming for the general area of the lock.

Briefly, I saw my paint's life flash before my eyes.
  • Options
    scarls13scarls13 Member Posts: 11
    Sigh...

I'm working with a large dealership in Detroit on getting a silver/bright blue/dark blue Beetle GLS with auto and luxury...so far he's had 3 possible cars for me: one was silver but had leather (too expensive), one was bright blue but had no sunroof, and today's was green with leatherette. (no guts to get green) Argh! :-) But on a happier note, they're done selling '99s at this dealership, so it's only a matter of time before he gets what I want in a 2000 model...

If anybody is having a hard time finding the Beetle of your dreams, try Detroit!
  • Options
    It is a small world, My A6 is a 97 and I bought it at Continental on South Broadway. I didn't know the name had changed, wasn't McDonald in Boulder at one time?
  • Options
    ejsejs Member Posts: 36
    Checked out opulus... I can't believe VW thinks there wouldn't be enough interest in a convertible New Beetle! I'm excited about the rumors of a convertible Jetta and VR6 Cabrio. To bad nothing has been confirmed.
  • Options
    napalmnapalm Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, from what I understood though (tell me if I read this right or I'm just imagining things), the VR6 is coming out of the GLS and the 1.8T is going in. Oh well, might as well buy a Passat now. :)
  • Options
    littleveralittlevera Member Posts: 1
    ` I NEVER pay sticker for a car, alway a little above dealer cost, but for the Bug, I'm paying sticker (if I ever get one). I guess I was excited to pay sticker at one dealer, when the dealer I just left added $4000 to the turbo and $3000 to the GLS model! How about THAT for greed? I'm on a waiting list in Central Florida for a green GLX, with cream leather and auto. It was a hard decision to make.... I wanted one of each! My only concern is that the dealer in my area said that they do not get any GLX, only GLS 1.8 turbos.... anyone have any info on that? Do they only make a very few GLX's? *The dealer that charged the big bucks over sticker had about 20 beetles on his lot... his story was that they get so many more because they sell so many...? My dealer said they get about 20 per month? Does that sound right?
  • Options
    I'm really interested in putting an in-dash CD player into my NB when I get it in a few weeks...can anyone offer advice as to how difficult it would be to install such a thing? It seems that the NB's dash has an irregularly shaped hole for the radio, so I'm a little nervous...Any thoughts?
  • Options
    bug4pegbug4peg Member Posts: 15
    Hey folks, do what I did -- be patient and order a beetle from your dealer. 20K for a car may not be a TON of money, but you should get exactly what you want! I ordered a 2000 yellow GLS 1.8T auto from my dealer in May. I told them I didn't want it until September and they said, hey, they take a while, give us a $100 deposit and if it comes in and you don't want it we'll be able to sell it without an issue. I just spoke to him and the order went in last week. Should have confirmation within a week. He tells me they work on "sold" orders first (meaning they have a deposit). I just couldn't settle for anything less than a gas turbo automatic in Yellow. I'll never be able to stop smiling when I get this car.
  • Options
    leahkleahk Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know which brand is compatible with the 99 NB? I heard it was Panasonic and a converter plug was necessary (and difficult to find). Can anyone confirm?

Thanks for the help.

Leah
  • Options
    mknightmknight Member Posts: 57
    If it's like the Passat's, and I think they have the same radio with a different face plate, it'll take a Panasonic 6-disk changer, or a Panasonic 8-disk changer, and required an adapter with a part number something like PIL6 or PIL8, respectively.

--Mike
  • Options
    The space under the dash in a New Beetle is totally open. It's where the cupholders are. IMNSHO, that's the one design flaw in the New Beetle -- the 3 front cupholders are darned near useless for anything bigger than a can of soda. On second thought, scratch the "darned near" and insert "totally".

If you hunt around, you can probably find a dealer who can mount a CD player/changer UNDER the dash. In case you didn't infer it from the above, I don't think blocking the cupholders is giving up very much.
  • Options
    elainebearelainebear Member Posts: 17
    If you also don't feel safe going with something that wasn't specifically designed for the car you can buy the CD changer from your dealership or online for $270-$320. For the life of me I cannot think of the department you would like to contact at the dealer (but it is where you can buy other things like floormats and cargo nets after purchase) and they can get it for you. Just don't talk to a salesperson. I am told those are easy to install and take about 10 minutes. I wouldn't suggest doing this first, but maybe check around and compare prices of everything.
  • Options
    govugovu Member Posts: 62
    There was a web address in the closed "New Beetle" topic for a place that sold the six and eight changers for about $250.
  • Options
    So is there general agreement that the only way to install a dash-mounted CD-player is to stick it down by the cupholders? If so...ugh. I might just grudgingly get that 6-disc changer (grudgingly because I hate having to pull over to stick new CDs in!) :)
  • Options
    Pull over to change CD's? You just have to be smarter than the average bear -- or maybe amoeba.

Six CD's should be six hours of music, plus or minus a few minutes (unless you're dumb enough to buy a CD single, but we won't go into that here).

Now my TDI New Beetle probably could go for six hours without stopping, but I know I can't! Just get in the habit of changing out the CD's you've already listened to every time you stop. This works very well unless you're a "shuffle play" commando. Even so, with six hours of music, by the time a repeat rolls around, you can probably stand to hear it again. After all, a pop radio station is allowed to average playing the same song every two hours.

The CD changer in the trunk really isn't that inconvenient. It's less bother on long trips than the single in-dash units in my other cars.
  • Options
    I have an extra magazine so it just takes a minute to change to a different magazine. Also if you like to listen to books on tape as I do on a long trip you still have the tape player. I don't have any music tapes just books. another thing to consider is buying the CD installed when you purchase the car, that way it is warranted as long as the rest of the car. I wouldn't hassle with junking up the car with non factory stuff, you'll also lose the cool orange and blue night lighting of the factory unit, plus it's so well designed and easy to use. I'm really glad I had the dealer install the factory CD changer. I noticed VW has an upgraded speaker package for the New Beetle, has anyone installed these, I think they're $250 at the dealer.
  • Options
    fortmanfortman Member Posts: 9
    I have a 6-cd changer in the trunk of my NB, and I can't see why you'd need an in-dash cd player installed instead. I do think 6 cds are plenty enough for everything but an all-day road trip.

I was wanting to say something -- I know that we are supposed to wave at all other Beetles, new & old, but that an old Beetle driver complained that no New Beetle drivers were waving, just the old Beetles. So all you NB drivers out there, don't be shy! WAVE!
  • Options
    Hey, rickrover, I like the idea of an extra cassette for the changer! Where do I get one? Is it in that catalogue of "bug toys" that is hanging around here (somewhere) but that I never bothered to open, figuring it was filled with the usual garbage?

I guess the average bear -- or amoeba -- is smarter than me!
  • Options
    I made the dealer throw it in, they had them in the parts dept. on display. I've been meaning to stop into the local Audio store and get another one. I would think they are a lot cheaper there. I had a 6 disk in my 92 BMW that was actually a Pioneer and got a couple of extra magazines at an audio video store. Who makes the changer in the VW? It's not like the old Pioneer magazine.
  • Options
    ecbeast1ecbeast1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone in the Palo Alto area purchased an NB recently? Looking to pick one up and would love to know how the dealers are cutting their deals.
  • Options
    leahkleahk Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my 99 GLS 5 spd, with alloy wheels, in January at Ron Price Motors in South San Francisco for dealer invoice, yes, dealer invoice ($16,388). Got lucky with the bait and switch trick and picked up the advertised car. It'd been on the lot for 3 months, so I guess they were looking to move it. The only complaint I have is with the wiper blades. They leave streaks. I'll have those replaced at my upcoming oil change.

Avoid Boardwalk in Redwood City at all costs. Smarmy creepy sales people, although they were willing to go around $17,150 for the same car. (Note: This pricing applied to the common black, white, red colors. All others had a $2K premium added on.)

Good luck!

Leah
  • Options
    michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Am here in Silicon Valley on business this week and happened to stop in the VW dealer on Stevens Creek Blvd (don't know the name).

All the NB's in stock are model year 2000. Good mix of colors (I noticed 3 greens, a yellow and a silver, but no bright blue). Mostly gas, about half stick and half auto. All had a $1995 ADM on top of the MSRP. Don't know how much they are willing to deal.

FWIW, I got my '99 NB last December in Denver for MSRP.

Good luck, and let us know how your search turns out!
  • Options
    The wait is over, finally. The dealership I've been working with, Suburban VW in Troy, MI, has my car! I'm picking it up Monday... It's a 2000 gas GLS, silver, with luxury and automatic (yes, automatic...don't ask!) Took about 3 and a half weeks to come in, but that's not bad at all. Anyway, I can't wait to pick it up...it's going to be a long weekend!

Also, thanks to all for your input on CD players. I must admit, I'm a shuffle-jockey... I like to have lots of CDs with me that I can swap in and out after only a couple songs. I guess I'll just learn to limit myself to 6 discs per "session".. ;) Thanks everybody!

src
  • Options
    jude1jude1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

Can anyone tell me what's new on the 2000 Beetle.

Many thanks,
    Jude :-)
  • Options
    zderfzderf Member Posts: 44
    Hope you have better luck than I have had with my 99 GLX turbo. It has 585 miles, 2 wrecker rides, and is a candidate for NHTSA recall.

Its been a nightmare. Watch out for the "safe mode", EPC light, and MIL light. Despite the owners manual instructions, you'll never make it to the VW dealership if they are on. Mine likes to do it during rush hour on a crowded interstate.

It gets more looks on the tow truck then it does at the stop lite.
  • Options
    laturjlaturj Member Posts: 45
    can you tell us more details on your problems, etc.
  • Options
    I'm on a New Beetle message board, there are quite a few Turbo New Beetle owners in there. None of them are reporting any problems with their Turbo's. What kind of trouble are you having, what error codes does the dealer find in your computer etc.? I have a feeling this may be a jealous Honda owner folks. Probably had his doors blown off by a Turbo Beetle in his boring little Civic SI.
  • Options
    Be very careful here. VW has its share of lemons too. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that VW had a bad apple in its barrel of rosey-cheeked beauties.

And its a first model year of a new design.... which is trouble from any manufacturer!
  • Options
    You could be right although this is the third year for the New Beetle (98,99,00) and that 1.8t engine is certainly not new, it's in a lot of VW and Audi models. Soon to be in the Golf and Jetta as well.
  • Options
    It doesn't matter how old the engine is, the fact that it's a new model design for that engine is a major factor. If you open up the hood of a Turbo Beetle the engine looks a *lot* different than the same engine in a Passat. Even if I'd had more money and the GLX had been available, I would have passed on the Turbo for my 2.0L gas for that reason alone.

If zderf has only 585 miles on it, he hasn't had it long, and probably could have waited for the 2000s. I hope his problems get fixed, and I certainly wouldn't think that his car trouble is the same for every 1.8T NB owner out there. You can buy an ever-reliable (yet boring) Honda or Toyota and get a lemon. It happens. Just don't ever ask for trouble and buy a new model year or a new design. It goes for every carmaker, from Kia to Mercedes.
  • Options
    spooner6spooner6 Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering purchasing a 2000 NB. Could anyone give me an idea on insurance costs for the car? I live in NJ and insurance is already way out of control.
  • Options
    Its now 1 week at the dealership following the second "hi-way shut-down" on the GLX. The dealership secured the same fault code for the first instance suggesting that the throttle was depressed while starting. See page 82 of the manual "staring gasoline engine". It states in bold to not depress the throttle when starting. It does not state the penalty for doing so.

If you get an EPC or MIL warning light, you will enter "safey mode", which reduces power to about 10%. The manual states on page 12 "continue driving until problem is corrected by an authorized VW dealer". I'm here to tell you, one cannot continue to drive unless on a serious downhill stretch. This is a serious hazard, and has been reported to NHTSA.

They have not been able to duplicate the problem after driving the car with computers on-board. They currently do not have a plan. VW tech support is baffeled.

For sure, my wife is not anxious to go thru another interstate 5 rush hour "shut down". As well, we had hoped to put the mileage on the car, not the dealership. Instead, we are driving a 1998 Jetta stick with 30,000 miles on it.

More to follow is suppose.....
  • Options
    Points well taken all, I did a little research and there is a major difference between the New Beetle and Passat/Audi A4 1.8t - it's fly by wire (so is the Audi TT) meaning it has no throttle cable, the gas pedal is electronically attached to the engine. After market tuners are reluctant to produce a P chip for the Turbo Beetle and TT due to the nature of the fly by wire system and liability issues. It's supposed to be very reliable but like anything I'm sure something could go wrong on a given vehicle.
  • Options
    Rickrover,

Did you get my Email? Whilst the Turbo Bug is swift, the Civic model I sent you a JPG of performs slightly better.

You are correct about the fly-by-wire throttle. It is this system that is likely causing the problem. VW tech support still has no answers for the dealership. They feel that they may have corrected the problem (bad ground) by fiddling with all of the harneses and connectors. However, this feeling cannot be confirmed by anyone.

There is still not a plan here. As I have stated, my wife is not particularly interested in being the one to confirm that the problem has not been fixed.

What we have here is aircraft grade technology (Airbus Industries)being assembled by un-skilled workers in Mexico, and maintenance being performed by automotive technicians who really don't have the training,tools, or automated test equipment needed to trouble shoot complex computer interfaced electrical systems.

Have a look at United airlines maintenance base in SFO. They procured millions of dollars in test equipment to maintain and support the A320's fly-by-wire systems.

Has technology surpassed our ability to deal with consumer grade products?

Again... more to follow.
  • Options
    ejsejs Member Posts: 36
    "Un-skilled workers in Mexico?" I doubt that. There's more to Mexico than migrant farm workers.
  • Options
    kjaureliokjaurelio Member Posts: 33
    "Un-skilled workers in Mexico?" I agree with the comment above from ejs. Automobiles have been built in Mexico for many years. I just read today that the workers just won a 19.9% pay raise, there must be some value to their labor after all.

I live in Georgia and there are a lot of Mexicans moving into the area. Many people think they are lazy and dirty. I totally disagree. I see the Mexican people taking the jobs no one else wants, working long days (I know of some that work 17 hours per day, seven days per week) and I feel they are very family oriented. If you see one of these hard working people dirty, it's probably because he has been working (very) hard all day.

I happen to come from an Italian background and my grandparents and my father went through the same kind of discrimination. I guess I'm sensitive to these types of comments.

Sorry for the long post. I hate to see these negative threads start in good conferences. Let's get back to talking about that great car!

By the way, I want a turbo beetle myself.
  • Options
    I'm disappointed that my POINT was missed here. It has nothing to do with Mexico, Italy, Greece, Finland, or the like. As well, it has nothing to do with nationality.

The point was simply that technology for technologies sake is creating a problem for the "non-technology" masses... myself included. So if I've pointed a bad finger here, its at me. I'll take the heat on that one.

This all confirms the drawback to this form of communication. It is taken at written face value W/O the benefit of immediate point / counter point clarification.

I'll therefore sign off now, taking my issues and points back to the VW dealership and VW tech support who still have no "technology" answers for the problems with this great car... "Turbo GLX Beetle".

Consider this thread closed.
  • Options
    I hardly think the Turbo Beetle breaks any technological barriers so much so that dealer mechanics can't figure it out. It's hardly the Chandra X-ray telescope. It's a CAR.

If the mechanics can't fix a car, then it's the mechanics who are the problem, not the technology of the car. And certainly the problem is not the "unskilled" Mexican factory workers, who simply build Beetles to German specifications. Silly me, I named my NB Paco to honor its Mexican "heritage."

In any case, sometimes people just wind up with a lemon, no matter who builds it. That may be the case here. Griping about technology and assembly workers doesn't cut it for me. If zderf's car were working, he wouldn't have given any of that a second thought, and I thought his knee-jerk comment on Mexicans needed a response, and ejs and kjaurelio responded appropriately.

Perhaps zderf should just call the guys on Car Talk and ask them their opinion, or perhaps try another dealership. The mechanics he's working with may simply be clueless about the car's engine.
  • Options
    zderf, I see two immediate things you need to do.

1) Try another dealer.

2) Read up on your state's lemon laws. The only ones I'm familiar with are Virginia's, and they're pretty clear that the company/manufacturer (not dealer) gets 3 trys to correct a problem, after that your car is legally a lemon and you can get a full refund or a different car with the same equipment at no additional charge to you. Again, I'm not sure where you live, but Virginia is not known for taking care of its consumers. Your stat e probably has similar protections. You do have written records of this "can't find the problem" don't you?
  • Options
    Hey bwummer--

Do you guys still have an abundance of TDI's and gas turbo's out there? I've learned my wait may be over, so I think I'm going to try either Langan or Valenti VW.
  • Options
    Hey Fortman. Find another forum. Your on the wrong track here. Give it a rest.

If technology weren't the issue here, then what's up with the confuser (computer) analyzing machine and apparent lack fault codes supplied by VW to troubleshoot simple CAR anomalies?

Show me a Vo-Tech graduate that can trouble shoot and repair fly-by-wire engine controls W/O the test equipment and software supplied by the vehicle manufacturer. The dealership involved is noted for superior service. This only the 3rd GLX they have ever seen. Where is the tech support, tools, and feedback VW should have in place to support next generation products they are now delivering to the public? Are you aware of the distinct differences on this specific Beetle from the other models? Apparently not. Try reading the earlier posts on this subject.

Bwummer:

I have our state statute on the Lemon Law. VW has 2 tries to fix this (it is considered a safety issue). Our Attorney General is very active in this venue. Thanks for your "useful information and feedback". This is why forums such as this are beneficial.

I'll try again the close the errant thread on heritage, nationality, and zealots looking for a fight.
  • Options
    elainebearelainebear Member Posts: 17
    My guess is that you have a lemon... take your state up on it's lemon laws and get yourself a new car. I think you kind of missed what fortman was talking about. It really can't be blamed for "technology" as a whole, blame it on VW for not training mechanics. I think VW was trying too hard to get this car out on the road and maybe didn't perfect it the way they should have. I sort of understand your comment about the "unskilled" workers building your car, but maybe a different refraising would have saved yourself some negative posts. I hope this harshness can go away on this board. Good luck with your car... either having it fixed or getting a new one... and maybe a turbo isn't the best to get just yet :) Again, best of luck!
  • Options
    zderf -- I agree w/Ms. Bear. It's time to invoke the lemon laws. Personnally, I'd have it replaced with an equivalent model, but that's just my opinion. You have to do what feels right for you. My wife and I had a hellacious problem with a Dodge Grand Caravan. Intellectually, I know it was not a common thing, but I'll still never buy another Chrysler product. Well, maybe a DaimlerChrysler product with a 3-pointed star on it, but that's it. That's purely an EMOTIONAL reaction.

govu -- I still drive by Valenti every day, and I know they've got a lot of Beetles, but I'll have to get back to you on what configuration they are. Langan's a little bit of a drive (35 mi); I'll see what I can do there.
  • Options
    The car was completed last Friday. VW engineering indicated that the ECM (Engine Control Module) was defective and was therefore replaced. They say this is the 3rd such failure since introduction of the 1.8T, and diagnostics will not direct technicians to this failure mode. As such, the dealer's head scratching is likely justified.

100 miles and so far so good.

I am told that VW will not let this get to the Lemon Law faze.. but will respond to the customer's wishes should the problem return.

My appologies to all concerned for inappropriate analogies, comments, concerns, and poor choice of words.

I'll henceforth do more reading and less posting.

Regards.....
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, webster! I now have my name in Nemer, as well as two places in Connecticut. I think I'm -finally- close to getting my silver NB.
  • Options
    wleongwleong Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for the useful info. I am looking for a silver GLX and have placed a deposit with a dealer(who's willing to sell at MSRP)in the Seattle area. It has been almost 3 months now, and it doesn't look like I'm getting my Beetle anytime soon. Recently I read about this place called Carorder.com and found that they are selling the GLX at almost invoice price. This is quite unbelievable, considering how some of the dealers here in the Portland area wanted me to pay $6000 over MSRP for a GLX! Has anybody here got their Beetle through Carorder.com or any online car buying service?
  • Options
    $6000 over MSRP! That's ridiculous! I personally was prepared to wait for the 2000s to arrive when I approached my dealer about a silver GLS in May but by some stroke of luck they found one for me in five days. I paid a few hundred dollars over MSRP, but considered it a good deal as the other dealership I visited was asking $2000 over MSRP, adding useless things like a special finish. I paid $19,555 and got alloy wheels and a CD changer thrown in, and even without those, I still would have paid less for the same car.

Plus, the dealer I bought my NB from was very easy to do business with. I knew I wanted a silver GLS and they put me on a waiting list (no charge) without pushing me into a color or trim level I didn't want. The other dealer was trying to get me into a red one with a sunroof, neither of which I wanted.

Webster's advice is very sound. Expecting to pay under MSRP is probably an unrealistic expectation in most markets, but paying way over MSRP is senseless. The demand for the newer GLX will definitely go down after awhile, so I suggest to everyone to wait, be patient, and perhaps save up your money to make a bigger down payment. (And if you don't want to fly to a dealership, go Greyhound!)