Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• newsaabnewsaab Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response.

I leased the car at Mike Shaw Buick Saab in Denver, Colorado, and paid tax of 7.46% (state and county). The missing $116 on the down payment is city tax (I think), which for some reason I was required to pay up front for the entire lease term, and probably also luxury tax on the amount over $35,000.
  • jonw2jonw2 Member Posts: 49
    We are seriously considering a 9-5 station wagon. Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't seen a discussion of the relative merits of automatic vs. manual tranmissions for the 9-5 wagon in this thread. I was wondering if anyone on this board has bought the base station wagon with manual transmission and how you like it compared to the automatic that you may have test driven.

It's my perception that manual transmissions are much cheaper over the life of the car. I would imagine that an overhaul of a Saab automatic would be very expensive. We own an '87 Saab with manual, which has given us superb service, but notchy shifting in older Saabs is legendary.

We do little city driving, so that would be a small factor. I would appreciate any thoughts on: ease of operation, smoothness of shifting,
    power tradeoffs, etc. Thanks for your input.
  • ejgskmejgskm Member Posts: 9
    We think we would like a manual wagon, but can't find one to test drive! The local dealer doesn't even order any. Very disappointing. I also tried carorder.com, just to see what they could find. Manuals by special order (ie 3 months) only. Are they available outside of southern California?
  • rfellmanrfellman Member Posts: 109
    Wardlaw's biased review of the 9-5 Wagon was a worthless exercise and out of line with Edmund's usual quality and integrity. Compare Wardlaw's ignorant statement about value to this link..
    http://www.thecarplace.com/saab95.htm Who pays MSRP for a SAAB? For an Audi, yes, MSRP or close to it is the norm. Wardlaw just confirms he is a clown masquerading as a journalist.
    Ask yourself why if Wardlaw hates SAABS (as evidenced by his complaint over key placement) he is allowed to review one for Edmunds?
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/whitmore/99Saab.9-3.rt.html

How can Edmunds allow an avowed anti-SAABite to review a SAAB. Where is the journalistic intergity. Reviews should not be just an opinion piece by a someone with an axe to grind.
    Wardlaw all wet (rfellman) Sat 29 Jan '00 (01:10 PM)

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Jedlicka/Saab/9-5%20Wagon/1999.asp
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I have to admit I agree with Wardlaw, I ended up with a Audi A6 Quattro Avant over the Saab. Paid $600 over invoice thanks to Edmunds. I agree that he did make too much of it breaking down though, I doubt that is common. The Saab is lacking in storage, no all wheel drive, the seats do smell funny, and my Audi is a more handsome car inside and out. If I wanted just a front wheel drive wagon I'd have gotten a Passat Wagon over the Saab. I also have a Passat sedan that's fantastic. Is that a Saab remote in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? LOL It's nice to see people buying wagons of any brand over SUV's, glad that trend seems to be changing. Enjoy your Saabs and lighten up a little.
    It was a disappointment to read a report such as Wardlaw's. However, I put it in context with Consumer Report's long fixation (to the exclusion of other virtues) on Saab's unforgiveable impudence in placing the ignition key on the floor/console. How dare Saab flout accepted engineering design? After all, didn't Thomas Edison tell the eccentric Nikola Tesla that, "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time?"

Seriously, had Car or Driver, or one of my favorite car critics, Warren Brown, of the Washington Post panned the car, I would have much more concerned. Saabs are far from perfect, but for those of us who like something different than the generic people movers proffered by the big three and the Japanese, Saab will do nicely.

It was the luck of the draw that Wardlaw had to endure a breakdown with the 9-5. In 15 years of driving Saabs, I've never been let down on the road. However, I've had the tow truck out three times in the last five months to tote away our Ford Taurus. But that's another story.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I do agree the review was a bit of a hatchet job,
    and that some points are silly or wrong. I
    wouldn't be quite so insulting, though. I assume
    his first car failing colored his perceptions and
    made him seek fault, although he has trashed saabs
    in previous reviews. His hatchet of the 9-3 is
    even more flatly wrong:
    http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/whitmore/99Saab.9-3.rt.html
    (look down at the end)
    Getting dusted by a metro? Yeah, whatever. Rip
    the turbo out and the 9-3 is still way faster, so
    proper turbo spooling has nothing to do with it.
    His comments on how hard the 9-3 is to drive makes
    him look like a pretty pitiful driver, because I
    know several amateurs who pull off the 9-3 pretty
    well. My wife managed to do better than him in
    five minutes after not driving a manual trans car
    in 5 years. He says he prefers the a4, though it's not even close to the same category car in speed, safety, interior & storage space, etc. Makes you wonder about this "automotive journalist."

(back to the 9-5)

For example, complaining about the lack of four-wheel drive when this is nowhere near standard in the class is a bit silly, as is complaining about key on-the-console. I mean, come on. People get used to it. I'd like to see him back his claim that other cars for the less offer the same. I'd say this is pure hooey, particulary, but not just if, you consider real purchase price. Key fob interfering with window controls, Yeah, if you stretch it out over them like in the picture. I also take issue with his complaint of "undersuspended" and am surprised he'd say this, particulary when other reviewers commented 100% in the opposite direction. Considering the 9-5 has sportscar-like slalom times, this is even more odd. His comment about not being able to adjust the front seat to support buttocks and thighs are contrary to my experience, but these parts may be differently shaped ( e.g larger ) on him than on I.

He does compliment the car in several areas, roominess, power, safety, and I agree with his issues with interior storage. His few legitimate gripes don't justify his negative conclusion, though.

Take it as a not 100% bad review from someone who has a problem with saabs, and had a bad experience with this one. It would be nice if there could be a rebuttal section, though, or if they'd given the review to someone else.

dave
  • lieberson1lieberson1 Member Posts: 32
    Whatever this guy is smoking....I want some! I have had my new Saab 9.5se wag for about three weeks. Everyday I find more to appreciate about this car. Ok, it does not handle as well as a "all wheel" drive Audi A6 wagon or a Cadi. STS. Hey, those riggs cost a bit more. The STS Cadillac is about $55k! I don't mind giving up a little handling in exchange for the $. Little features like a rear wiper that knows when you are in reverse, side marker lights that illuminate your turn, very well placed switches and gauges, rear fog lamp, heated mirrors, and a very nice sound system make this car a joy to drive. Regarding the ignition between the seats...it's a very safe idea. Hey Wardlaw...guess what dozens of ER docs pull out of the knees and thighs of car accident victims.....keys!! Locating the ignition between the seats prevents this type of injury. Now the key fob thing ( is fob a real word?) ...look, it is not traditional. So what! That is what makes it a Saab. And another thing Wardlaw...my leather seats do not smell funky! Maybe you just need to watch what you eat for lunch!
    Hey, a bit more handling and little more storage would be nice. In the mean time I am going to enjoy the heck out of what Saab has built!
  • iansians Member Posts: 1
    A couple of observations on this topic. Half way through the 2000 model year, what are Edmunds and their reviewer doing publishing a report about a "preproduction 1999 car"? If you want to be taken seriously as a fair, unbiased review organisation (which you appear to be from all other accounts), test the latest production model from the manufacturer.

Secondly, if the car came from Saab USA, what are they doing offering up the said "preproduction" example, heavily hammered by the ink stained wretches. Not exactly the way to get your prime product properly reviewed.

My interest in this? I just ordered a loaded 2000 3.0L SE wagon, my first Saab ever, here in Canada for low $ 50,000 Canadian Monopoly money. Mr. Wardlaw sure made me spill my tea, until I figured that this review does not reflect well on either Edmunds or Saab, or do justice to a very fine automobile that I can't wait to get my hands on.
  • jpnwdcjpnwdc Member Posts: 42
    I just read Wardlaw's review of the Saab 9-5 wagon. I don't think I've ever read such a nit picky auto review before. Getting your fingernails dirty because of having to clean brake dust off the front wheels??

Also, some of his complaints were probably due to driving a pre-production model. One of the Saab dealers in the Wash. DC area had several pre-production 9-5 sedans they were trying to sell. The front suspensions had a different feel than the production models, and the interiors had a musty smell. As a result, they have not been able to get rid of all of them.
  • bmwjoebmwjoe Member Posts: 136
    I am fixing to buy a new 9-5 wagon and I have a few questions:

The car I want is a 5 speed and I will want a specific color and options. How long does it take to order a car from Saab?

Has anyone dealt with car order.com? How does this service work.

Are there discount Saab parts dealers on the internet?

Drive Safe,

Joe
    http://home.jtan.com/~joe/joe.htm
  • darandalldarandall Member Posts: 57
    I purchased the base engine with a manual transmission - test drove both auto and standard. The shift pattern is good, but not up to BMW standards. BUT, I bought the standard and love having it, as does, unfortunately, my 18 year old daughter. There was a decent selection of manuals available last summer - East Coast - in particular in New England, but I did end up with leather, which I do like, and the dealer ate the cost of the heated seats, which I really like!
    Wardlaw's review - WRONG!! - The VW Passat wagon is not in the same ballpark - underpowered(only the 150 hp four is available in the wagon) and much more body roll and noise. Also, the rear seats tilt outboard! The Subie isn't there either! Also, I paid $32,000, which was $10,000 less than the Audi, and $12,000 less than the BMW. So, I think someone ought to have him examined!
  • darandalldarandall Member Posts: 57
    One more thing - Saab has a very annoying light that comes on telling you when to shift - The dealer can disconnect this!
    Joe-I placed an order with carorder.com for a 9-5 manual wagon three weeks ago. The price I was quoted was great-$600. below invoice- but so far it is just a quote. To fully understand the carorder.com drama you should read (some of the) hundreds of postings devoted to caroder.com experiences. Suffice it to say that they are way way way too busy right now and seem unable or unwilling to find many of the cars that people have ordered. My experience is similar to others-- they said they couldn't find the car and would have to special order it. I said fine. Seems simple, yet nothing has happened. It's been three weeks. The car hasn't been ordered. It takes days if not weeks to even get a response to an email. All that said, I am in no big hurry and if I end up with the car I want in a few months, below invoice, I'll be another happy customer. My local Saab dealer can't get me a manual transmission and won't special order. How's that for customer service? There do not seem to be any manual wagons in Southern California. I've called four dealerships. So, in my case carorder may be my best bet. Patience is a virtue!
    I forgot to mention that a special Saab order through carorder.com takes 12-16 weeks.
  • VladKVladK Member Posts: 1
    I bet this guy drives a Ford Explorer. Or something else, so conformist that he just can't see beyond his own rigid mindset.

Most of his negative comments don't make any sense. Actually, the whole review does not make sense, including the choice of V-6 automatic. It's a *SAAB*, not a Honda, for crying out loud! The proper powertrain is a turbocharged four-cylinder with manual gearbox, just like God intended. None of that Opel crap!

Placing window switches on center console makes them much more convenient for anyone driving a manual gearbox car. Your right hand does all the shifting, handbraking, window opening and key turning, without having to EVER take the left hand off the steering wheel.

And maybe this guy will someday shatter his right knee cap when he crashes his Explorer. Maybe then the inherent danger of placing a sharp metal object in direct path of the driver's knee will get through his thick scull. And he will finally realize that placing the ignition between the seats is the only logical place. That is, if he doesn't shatter his scull as well, as his Explorer certanly does not provide nearly as much safety as the least safe SAAB does.

I can't believe someone like this is an automotive journalist. He should be a censorship official in his local [non-permissible content removed].
    EJ- The price I was quoted from carorder.com was about $800 over invoice. Not really great. I am in S.E. Pennsylvania. I wonder if it matters where you live?

Where can I find these hundreds of postings on carorder.com?

Joe
    Joe- I found it by doing a topic search on Edmund's for carorder.com. The most current is carorder.com experiences Part 2. I just looked and there are currently over 1,700 postings. Happy reading! I certainly haven't read them all, but from what I have read-- yes, it does matter where you live. For whatever reason, there are different prices in different states. People have reported better prices in California. Also, the price fluxuates, so check again tomorrow! Once you like the price, you can put it in your garage with no committment on your part. Then you have a certain number of day (7 or 10?) to order it at that price. The price expires once the clock hits 12:01 am of the "expires on" day. You do not have until midnight!!! You give them a credit card number and the authorization to charge $500 dollars as a deposit when they find your specific car AND you agree to this specific car. Carorder doesn't put anything on your card- just the dealership that finds and holds your car. So, I haven't been charged anything. Seems like you can back out of the whole deal if you want, with no penalty, except that if they find your exact car and you back out you are prohibited from ordering that same car with carorder for 6 months.
    Good luck.
    EJ
    After only three weeks my power steering has gone out on my 2000se wag! Dealer is ordering new ps pump. Still able to drive it...kinda. Please tell me this not normal. I really want to love this car!
  • carrutn1carrutn1 Member Posts: 3
    I agree with the guy about the starter switch placement. This is an affectation, mercifully absent from the older 9000 model.

Have a look at what was lurking under my SAAB 9-5.
    I'll never buy another SAAB, and I'm a previously
    life-long fan ! See www.seemynewsaab.co.uk for
    the full story.

SAAB customer service is a bit questionable too.
    I agree with the guy about the starter switch placement. This is an affectation, mercifully absent from the older 9000 model.

Have a look at what was lurking under my SAAB 9-5.
    I'll never buy another SAAB, and I'm a previously
    life-long fan ! See www.seemynewsaab.co.uk for
    the full story.

SAAB customer service is a bit questionable too.
    First congratulations on a well done web site. However, do you really expect readers to believe you axle cracked for no reason in your driveway?
    Such an event is extremely unlikely and you have put forth only conjecture to refute the metallurgical analysis by SAAB AB. They allege blunt force trauma. You seem to be maintaining brittle steel a la the Titanic. Lets assume you axle was poorly cast and had a latent defect, why would SAAB deny this? DO you think they want to be defamed on your web site? Are really not attempting to extort a settlement from SAAB through blackmail. IF your case had merit, and I was SAAB, I would settle with you. Your car has suffered a massive structural failure and you are asking educated empirically experienced adults to believe a puerile explanation. Lets put it in perpsective, you leave a child at home with a valuable ship model. You later come home to find the Serapis demasted and holed below the waterline. You inquire of the child as to what happened to the bailment left in his charge and he tells you John Paul Jone's great grandson just happened to stop after a tad too many IPAs and bitters at the local pub, and in a drunken rage smashed the craft to smitherines. He then apologized, excused himself and left.

Sure, it is possible the child is telling the truth, but would ajury believe it?

Seems improbable. However, suppose the car was damaged overnight by vandals or stolen and returned without your knowledge or even that the axle just went kapooey, so what is you beef? Won't your insurance cover the damage? Are you seeking warranty coverage? What is your cause of action? Are you alleging breech of contract with SAAB? Do you think a civil jury will believe your version?

OK, assume the car was damaged while driving and somehow you managed to get it home before it gave it out. Now what? You want SAAB to do what?
    Thanks for the repsonse. I'll try to answer your
    points raised.

The information on the site is there for you to take or leave. You make up your own mind. I'll
    do my best to leave matters of opinion and conjecture off the site.

SAAB and their lawyers trawl the site on a regular
    basis, no doubt in connection with their continuous threats of legal action for 'defamation'. The site will only ever contain
    facts, because they can't sue me for that. They
    may try, but I will defend.

The latest position is that SAAB are offering arbitration by a UK panel of Motor Industry
    representatives. SAAB are still witholding the parts removed from the car, denying my experts
    the chance to analyze them. SAAB are highly critical of me for failing to produce technical
    evidence to back up my position. See previous but one sentence about witholding the parts.

These are the facts. You can come to whatever
    conclusion you fancy. Up to you.
    I am about to order a Saab 9.5 wagon. Has anyone out there ever ordered one? How long did it take? Did the dealer give you any information on the progress?

Thanks.

Joe
    Well I did it today... I ordered a Imola Red 9-5 wagon for my wife. I spent part of Saturday at a dealer pouring over the 9-5 wagon in the show room and teaching the salesman about the features. I am sure we will both love it.

I used CarOrder.com. The price was $23 over invoice. This was actually under invoice since dealers add a paperwork fee in this area. I believe the car will have to be ordered and it will take some time. I am planning on 8-10 weeks.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • gclugclu Member Posts: 23
    Joe,

Congrats on you're new purchase. The 9-5 was on my short list, but my wife nixed it once she sat in the driver's seat. Being 5'3" she never could get a satisfactory driving position (always felt like sitting in a tub and looking over the edge!).

Did you get the On Star system ? That was one of the main attractions of the car over its competitors -- in addition to its handling and the choice of the 2.3L or 3.0 L engines. BTW which one did you get ?

Also make, sure that the you get the Standard 3yr/36K free scheduled maint. When I had gone last week, the salesperson/dealer wasn't even aware of it!

George,

'00 Passat GLX wagon with 4Motion!
    George,

I wanted a wagon with a 5-speed. This makes for a small group of cars. The Passat was on my short list, but interior styling left us a little cold. Volvo was also on my list, but they are in model change over at the factory and selection is limited. 5-speeds are out of the question.

I got the base model 9-5 with the 2.3l turbo engine. 20-30 mpg on regular gas will be a good thing.

It looks like there is nothing to do for the 3 years of maintenance per the Saab web site. Just buy the car. The offer does not include some of the 9-3 series.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    Joe,

You could say the passat's interior styling is a typical Teutonic style -- though, my wife and I actually like it over the Saabs. Plus, how many $30K cars now a days have REAL wood trim?!? I'll have to admit though that the Saab uniqueness eg. key location, cooled glove compartment, night time dash lighting feature, are very nice touches!

I got the same impression about the 3/36K scheduled maintenance from reading their website -- but foun it interesting that the dealer wasn't using it now as a selling point. I wonder what would happen if someone had brought in the car for servicing not having known about it ????

Enjoy the new car!!!

George
    Joe,

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your information. This is what makes this forum such a powerful tool for prospective buyers. Please keep us updated on how the transaction is handled and your satisfaction with the process. Everything I have read about CarOrder.com has been positive.

By the way, I was interested in the fact that you ordered the base model and the five speed. In my opinion, this is the way to go. Also, the car should be more fun to drive. The prospect of rebuilding an automatic at between $2000 to $3000 has little appeal. I have almost 175K trouble-free miles on my present '87 Saab clutch and transmission.

Good luck with your car purchase and please keep us apprised.
    Jon
    Well I wanted the 5-speed for the fun factor. The Saab will be a good family hauler, but not the typical minivan/SUV. I wanted something that was easier to park and used less gas. I also take quite a bit of pride owning a stick. It will be fun.

I am looking for the sporty look so I ordered 7-spoke mags and the two spoilers. I also went for the black pearl grill.

The Saab cargo capability impressed me with the hold down rails in the back and the roof rack. I mail ordered a bunch of accessories including the cargo rack and rails for the roof. This will make it easy to put stuff on the roof, but I won't have to wash/wax around the rails all the time. (BTW, the mail order dealer gave me a nice discount.)

The Passat interior is 100% functional, but left my wife underwelmed. That is the only thing that put the VW off the list. She will be the primary driver.

The number 2 car was the Subaru Legacy GT. Very nice car. I have 105k miles on our Legacy and the only failures have been an o-ring in the AC and the two sun visors. The 2000 Legacy is much improved, but we wanted something different and bigger. The 9-5 is about the biggest wagon you can get with a 5-speed.

Drive Safe,

Joe
    Joe-
    I am happy that you were able to order from carOrder. Stay on top of it, though. I placed my order last month, and it was over four weeks before they notified me-- after much stalling and four rep changes-- that they wouldn't be able to order it after all. Seems they don't have a dealer in California that they can order it through. In fact, they can't even get Saabs, special order or not, in this neck of the woods. So, I will move on and special order through a dealer. So much for my great deal!!
    Here are the details on the pricing I got for my
    Saab. All of the prices are for the same car.

Dealer A $1557 over invoice
    Dealer B $1828 over invoice
    AutoByTel $628 over invoice
    BuyaSAABonline $1529 over invoice
    CarOrder Week 1 $1028 over invoice
    CarOrder Week 2 $23 over invoice

Funny thing is dealer A is the one that contacted
    me from AutoByTel. Go figure.

In all fairness I did not give the dealers a
    chance to sharpen their pencil to see where they
    would go. OTOH, dealer B would not match CO.

I saved more from CO since they only charge the
    state fees, not extra document prep fees. My
    actual price is slightly below invoice.

I don't know why the CO price changed from one
    week to the next. I live in PA. I figure the
    $1005 was the same as free mag wheels.

I also saved about $600 more by ordering all of
    the factory accessories from a midwestern dealer at %20 off.

I am really concerned about the above post. I hope I am not sitting here all excited about getting a new Saab when it is not comming. Has anyone else ordered a Saab through car order?

Drive Safe,

Joe
    Joe,

Thanks for posting the prices offered by the various agencies and dealers. It certainly shows a wide spread of prices over invoice. I noticed that BuySaabonline was quite high for a company that purports to sell at invoice. I'm not sure what drives the flucuations in pricing, but I presume it's the old supply and demand factor and, of course, the willingness of dealers and brokers to eat some profit.

I've been reading some of the postings on the CarOrder.com topic and it appears that the response has been almost overwhelming. It's obviously an idea whose time has come. Many of us who have found some sales people woefully lacking in knowledge about their product will agree.

Someone on the CarOrder.com board referenced an interesting consumer news article written by Lesley Hazelton, "Buyers changed; so should dealers" in Auto.com, in which she tells of her experience in buying a car virtually off the back of truck. She hails it as the forerunner of the virtual dealership,where the concept of just-in-time delivery of parts could be brought to just-in-time production of cars. As she points out, it would eliminate the need for dealers to stock hundreds of cars on their lots.

We'll be interested in hearing how it goes for you.

Jon W.
    Joe, great choice! Have been driving my 2000 9.5se wagon about 60 miles a day since January. Except for a bad power steering unit at delivery, the car has been flawless. The dealer in Portland OR. was great. However, they never mentioned a three year free service promo! I hope they tighten up the handling a bit in the future. It does have a bit of body roll....but heck, for a family wagon it's top notch! Good luck Joe!
    Rick L
  • wcfwcf Member Posts: 21
    I drove to Berlin this weekend and was very pleased with the Saab. There was a chain reaction accident just 100 meters ahead of me and the brakes of the Saab kept me out of it. When conditions permitted, it hauled along at 105 mph without any problem at all. It proved an excellent long distance car. It still needs more heavily bolstered seats, though.

Has anyone heard about a Saab-offered chip that takes the 4-cylinder up to 205 hp? It was mentioned at one time in a posting, but I haven't seen any more references to it.

Wayne
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    I looked very closely at the 9-5 wagon at the Toronto auto show yesterday. Now I know that these cars have lots of people in and out of them in the course of a short time, but I noticed the carpet at the back of the roll out floor was frayed badly, and the floor kept lifting up off the rack. It also limits access to the spare. They told me that they don't do awd because most people don't really need it or get into trouble with it (how nice of them to look after us). My concern is that if it looked that worn this quickly, how would it look after I've used one for a year or three? Also, there's the matter of the horror stories I've heard on cost and frequency of repair from Saab owners: "I love my car, when I get to drive it...". I know that the 9-5 is said to be the best they've ever built, and that GM now has some hand in it, but is it reliable? Will it hold up? I really like the quirkiness and the innovations like the load hold down strips and the rollout floor, pollen filters and the coolest cup holder ever, (told there's only one because the driver shouldn't be drinking something while driving anyway, big brother again) I just don't know if I could live with one. I'm looking at A6 and used 525 BMW...Saab though is the only car my wife has ever noticed and liked...it does have that appeal. I would like to know how they hold up and if the build quality is there.
    Thanks,
    tempted
    You may want to check out http://www.saabnet.com. They have several bulletin boards on Saabs with many topics.

I have a 9-5 wagon or order with CarOrder.com. It is not on order with Saab yet, but they are working on it.

The 9-5 does have two cup holders. The second is in the arm rest. It would be OK for the passenger, but not for the driver.

I am not impressed with the load floor thing. $450 to hold 400 pounds sounds like a lot. I think it would be good if you wanted to sit back there often. I do like the cargo strips in the back. The overall fit and feel of the car is nice.

I would not judge Saab quality on the cars at the auto show. Most of them have had a hard life and little care. The 9-5 Aero Wagon at the Philadelphia show was pieced together from other bits to look like a production Aero will. The show department may have gotten it because there was a problem.

I can't wait to get my 9-5 wagon. Before kids we had a Honda CRX si. It was great fun. While we were expecting we got a Subaru Legacy wagon (front wheel drive). This car has served us well for 105k miles, but there is no love. No excitement. It looks like the 9-5 wagon will be a car that we can love.

BTW the front wheel drive Legacy and the two front wheel drive Hondas before it did just fine in the snow. All wheel drive will only help in the most dire situations.

Drive Safe,

Joe
    Have any of you Saab owners had this experience? About once a week my climate control LCD panel goes blank and then displays a "1" in the left corner and a "22" in the right corner. After about 15 seconds the whole panel goes blank and then the word "off" appears. After that I push the "auto" button again and it runs fine. Weird! Car is 9.5 and about two months old. Was planning on telling the dealer when I bring it in for the 5000 service.
    I would surley tell the dealer about the problem at the service. It sounds like a glitch in the computer that runs the ACC (Automatic Climate Control). You may also want to post the 9-5 bulletin board on http://www.saabnet.com. My 9-5 wagon is ordered. Got my first issue of the Saab owners club magazine, "the Nines" yesterday. Great article on the 9-5 wagon. Can't wait to get the car they are talking about.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • gmurray1gmurray1 Member Posts: 6
    Lieberson1, Talk about the power of suggestion. I read your post this morning about your automatic climate control blip. I have had my 9-5 SE Wagon for a month now and I have not noticed anything similar to what you described. Three hours later, while waiting in the drive-thru lane to get my fast food fix, I heard a short rushing sound and looked down to find the number one in the left corner and the number 22 in the right corner of my AC display! I had turned off the system about three minutes before this happened. After about 30-60 seconds the numbers disappeared and the system turned itself on. I pressed the off button and the system turned off and everything seems fine as far as I can tell. Very strange. I checked the owners manual and can find no reference to what this might mean. Maybe someone out there might have a clue. In any event, I am going to call my dealer first thing Monday morning and ask them. I will post if I find an answer.

Some general observations after 30 days and 1500 miles of driving this car:

I love the idiosyncracies of it - the location of the ignition key, the interior lights that gradually come on and off, the button to move the outside passenger side mirror to help parallel park, the night panel button, the rear wiper that comes on when your front wipers are on and you put the car in reverse. In 30 days of driving in the Washington, D.C. area and down Interstate 81 to Southwestern Virginia I have yet to see another 9-5 wagon (or even a 9-5 sedan for that matter).

The car is a good combination of fun and function. Love to drive it and love the looks of it, even though my wife thought I was crazy to buy a wagon when I am closer to 50 than 30 and have no kids at home.

Stereo is good but not great, storage and cup holders could be better, and an integrated transmitter for garage door, etc. would be appreciated, but all in all I love the car.

A week after getting the car, I drove 4 1/2 hours to visit my daughter. 99% of the miles were driven on interstate doing 75 or so. I got 22.5 mpg on the way down. Coming back, I got 25.9 mpg. Anyone else experience this kind of increase in mpg? All my driving since then has been a combination of city/highway so I can't tell if the trend is continuing.

One last thought, my wife the skeptic loved driving this car back from our daughter's college. She thought the handling and comfort was as good as or better than her Lexus RX300.
    Hope I did not jink your new wagon! Wow, what a trip. I was going through a Jack-the-Box when it first happened to me!! Sounds like a X-File case. The Saab mech. told me not to worry about the glitch. He did not seem surprised. He even said they have a "software patch" to load into the ACC system computer when I come in for my next service. Please let me know what your dealer says. I agree with most of your observations regarding this car. It is a great combo of fun and function. I never feel like I am driving a wagon. It rides and feels like a sedan. I have not seen another 9.5 wagon yet around Portland, OR. although the dealership claims they sell about one or two a week. I have seen several sedans. Regarding your mpg experience....I am getting similar results. During the first 2000 miles I got about 23mpg on the highway (65-75 mph). I just returned from a 80 mile trip and got 24.5 - 25.7 mpg with an average speed of 67 mph. I noticed an improvement at about 2500 miles. What grade of gas are you running? Dealer told me to run prem-o/91-92 oct. Anyway, I can't wait to hear what your dealer tells you about our little glitch!
    Could you please post the web address or phone # for the 9.5 magazine you mentioned. Thanks, Rick
    Rick,

Thate are two places you will want to check out.

http://www.saabnet.com The Saab network. Good links and info.

http://www.saabclub.com The Saab club of North America. When you join you get a subscription to the Nines. I got my first issue on Saturday. They had a review of the 9-5 wagon!

Drive Safe,

Joe
    thx, Rick
  • mrjmrj Member Posts: 21
    We have about 5K miles on our 9-5 Wagon. We too have had the climate control go out from time to time with the 1 and 22 numbers showing up briefly. MY dealer says they are going to replace the entire unit under warranty. I go in this Thursday, so stay tuned.

Otherwise, great car.
  • astecastec Member Posts: 5
    Is anyone using all-season floor mats for 9-5? Are they better than rubber floor mats? Both are available from the online catalog. I need them for winter skiing trips.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx,
    -Alex
    While recently driving on I-80 thru the Sierra Nevada mountains, I attempted to check the weather and hit the WB button. The message displayed was "No WB station found". In other areas this was not the case. While in this particular case the WB signal might have been very weak indeed, when browsing the internet I came across an index of articles published in one of the Saab related magazines. The title of one of the articles was the same as the message. This makes me think that perhaps there is a glitch in the system (why would anyone write an article about it then) - or am I wrong?

Any comments?

Thanks,
    -Alex
    I have made several enquiries with local Saab dealers (San Francisco Bay Area) with respect to cell phone installation in my 9-5 wagon. In all cases I was referred to outside parties. When I visited one of the referred shops, I was told that they needed diagrams. They also mentioned that on a previous occasion, when they disconnected the car battery, after reconnecting, some warning light came on and a dealer charged $85 for resetting it.
    I ended up calling Saab Assistance number to get some of my questions answered, also a local dealer faxed me pages from the Saab manual which covers phone installation. So I can now figure it out on my own.
    All I want is that the job be done right, i.e., all built-in features and existing wiring be used properly.

Are others going through similiar experience?

Thanks,
    -Alex