Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Conversion Vans

Comments

• Options
    jboaterjboater Member Posts: 199
    DaleKen,

http://www.coavans.com/
    http://www.delegant.com/
    http://www.lawest.com/
    http://www.markiii.com/markiii.htm
    http://www.regencyvans.com/
    http://www.starcraftcorp.com/scdiv.htm

Ford Recognizes Top Quality Van Converters
    4 March 1998

Ford Recognizes Top Quality Van Converters

DETROIT, March 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) today
    announced the results of its customer satisfaction survey for 1997-model
    Econoline conversion vans.
    The Ford Van Conversion Top Ten Quality Awards are given annually to the
    converters rated highest in customer satisfaction, owner loyalty and quality.
    This year's winners:

1. d'Elegant, Inc., Schoolcraft, Mich.
    2. Coachmen Vans, Elkhart, Ind.
    3. Superior Vans, Louisville, Ky.
    4. Tuscany Motor Coach, Shipshewana, Ind.
    5. L.A. West, Lagrange, Ind.
    6. Seven-O-Seven, Ind., Elkhart, Ind.
    7. Eclipse Conversions, Elkhart, Ind.
    8. Companion Vans, Inc., Kosciusko, Mo.
    9. Mark III Industries, Ocala, Fla.
    10. Osage Industries, Inc., Linn, Mo.

"These converters have excelled in customer satisfaction and moved the
    quality needle forward," said Jerry Mittman, Recreation and Specialty Vehicles
    Sales Manager.
    The Top Ten Volume Ford Converters for the 1997 calendar year were:

1. Glaval Inc., Elkhart, Ind.
    2. Mark III Industries, Ocala, Fla.
    3. d'Elegant, Inc., Schoolcraft, Mich.
    4. Eclipse Conversions, Elkhart, Ind.
    5. Explorer Van Co., Warsaw, Ind.
    6. Chariot Vans, Elkhart, Ind.
    7. Waldoch Crafts, Forest Lake, Minn.
    8. Sherrod Vans, Jacksonville, Fla.
    9. Tuscany Motor Coach, Shipshewana, Ind.
    10. Phoenix Motorsport, Inc., Elkhart, Ind.

SOURCE Ford Motor Company

Jerry
    P.S. I like my '97 Ford/Coachmen
  • Options
    mrh3108mrh3108 Member Posts: 41
    Check the Edmunds reviews/specifications.

The Chrysler TC LCI extended length has 163 cubic feet. Compare that to a regular length GMC Savana with 267 cubic feet.

The Dodge won't be as large as the GMC/
    Chevy's or the Fords. Test drive them all. I'll bet you'll find considerable difference.
  • Options
    danluongodanluongo Member Posts: 2
    I need some input here. I will be selling my '96 Chevy Galdiator with the hitop Designer Series package - leather, power seats & sofa, 40K miles. It's the new body style. I think GM changed in the middle of the 96 model year.

What could I get for this van if I sell it on my own as oppesed to trading in at the dealer ?

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    Dan,

96 Gladiator Designer II
    whsle, $7,010, retail, $9,290.
    G10 Express whsle, 14,475, retail 17,025.
    G20 Express whsle, 14,875, retail 17,450.
    G20 Extended whsle, 15,725, retail 18,350.
    Mileage is average.

Jerry
  • Options
    danluongodanluongo Member Posts: 2
    Jerry,
    Thanks for the help. I just put an ad in the paper asking $22,500. If anyone is interested they can see the ad at www.the.atlantaclassifieds.com

Dan
  • Options
    ultra1ultra1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 24000 tag for a Primetime Dodge conversion by Glavel. Includes power tri-fold rear seat, dual stereo, AM/FM/Cassette/CD, front and rear heat/air, TV,VCR, and video game hookup,
    wood trim, (although the front stuff seems like plastic), and I'm a little put off by the lack of leg room in the front seats. Also has cruise and power windows/locks. Does this sound like a reasonable deal? I haven't been able to find a Ford or other model to compare. Need help soon...hoping to make a decision ASAP. Thanks all.
  • Options
    lctmikeholctmikeho Member Posts: 1
    Does Eclipse Conversions has an internet address?
  • Options
    hightop1hightop1 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out what the resale value is of a 1990 Ford E-150 hi-top conversion van. The conversion was done by a company called Tri-Teck located out of Ft. Worth, TX. Van is in excellent condition and was top of the line model with a superior paint job, front and rear a/c, automatic transmission, power windows, pleated mini blinds & curtains, 351 V-8 engine with approx. 75,000 miles. It includes hi-top console cabinetry with TV, VCR, storage over front captain chairs. Center Front, overhead console w/mounted stero am/fm radio w/cassette, CB and rador detector. Map light, engine console with cup holders. Rear mounted stero AM/FM independent radio w/cassette in rear cabinetry storage area. Privacy headphones (can also be used for TV/VCR). (4)Captain chairs, rear electric sofa that converts to a queen size bed.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.
  • Options
    hitop1,

NADA doesn't list that conversion company and I don't have chassis value dating to 1990.
    Any chance an "auto swapper" magazine could help?

Jerry
  • Options
    modiggerpmodiggerp Member Posts: 1
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO E-MAIL OSAGE VAN
    CONVERSIONS COMPANY? I THINK THEY ARE LOCATED
    SOMEWHERE IN MISSOURI. THANKS
  • Options
    boroffeyboroffey Member Posts: 1
    Getting ready to sell our '95 GMC Safari TMC conversion... TV, VCP, cloth seating, 55K miles
    any thoughts on price?
  • Options
    boroffey,

Is the TMC a Tiara Motorcoach and what model is the conversion?

Jerry
  • Options
    dennism314dennism314 Member Posts: 1
    Concerning trade-in, resale, or book value. Is there a place where conversion vans are rated?
  • Options
    familyvanfamilyvan Member Posts: 8
    I am working with a local (L.A. CA.) conversion company to build my perfect van. The question I have is what is the best van to have converted? Ford, Dodge, Chevy etc.??? It will mainly be used as a kid mover with the occasional hauling and trip. No towing in the near future but will probably get the package just in case I get more time to play. No extended length needed. Standard length should be O.K. So now you can bombard me with all your personal opinions on who is best.
  • Options
    Drno792Drno792 Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to sell my Chevrolet 20 1990 Explorer Hi-top conversion van Limited. It has 126K Miles and is in excellent condition. Well maintained yearly service , oil changes every 3 mos.It has rear air/heat, TV/vcp, 350V8, cloth seats, 3 way power rear sofa, radio-cassette, CB, radar detector, power driver captains chair. I need to know a ball park figure for selling outright, or trading on a new vehicle.
  • Options
    drobinsodrobinso Member Posts: 1
    I'm narrowing my selection down to a 99 Dodge Conversion van with 5.2L SMPI V8 engine{Magnum} long wheelbase{127.6)Conversion is by Mark III. No t.v. just a straightforward conversion without a lot of gingerbread.Has power locks, windows and mirrors. the dealer is in the range of 23K on the road.I'd rather be around 21500 with trailer hitch. Any comments from current owners or others looking at a similar would be appreciated. So far I like what I see in it. Thanks
  • Options
    hockeydad8hockeydad8 Member Posts: 8
    I've been looking for a used conversion van "94-"96 for the past month. The one I just came across is a Dodge 2500 Mark III LX conversion with leather with 53,000 miles on it. The dealer is down to $15,450 from close to $17,000. Does this seem reasonable? Does anyone think that the miles are high? All maintenance record are available one owner, and dealer offer to let me talk to previous owner if I wanted to. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    twc_detwc_de Member Posts: 10
    I am a profesional mechanic who just went through what you did. I chose a Chevy because...

1. Dodge vans are a uni-body construction (no frame) This means more expencive body/crash repairs, less stability when towing (even small trailers) or hauling loads and less places to bolt on extras.

2. Ford engines (Triton) have a plastic intake manifold which is notorious for leaking if driven hard, at high speeds, or idling for long perions of time. Secondly, my wife says they look boxey and she didn't like the available colors (and if she's not happy, she wouldn't let me forget it).
  • Options
    gkerrgkerr Member Posts: 1
    Considering a GMC Sahara with Unique conversion package. Does anyone have information about this company.
  • Options
    ViperggVipergg Member Posts: 24
    I bought a 97 Dodge 2500 Mark III conversion and I really like it , the 98's are all new interior and dashboards which make it look more modern so it should be even nicer . I bought my 97 in May 98 brand as a leftover and it sounds like it has the exact same equipment that you are looking at , and I paid $18400 for it , sticker of almost $30000 . I think you would be happy with it , the 318 is a lttle thirsty but all vehicles this size are , parking is a little tricky also but they are wonderful to travel in . Go for it .
  • Options
    gzadinsgzadins Member Posts: 1
    Do they come with anything bigger than a 318ci, how about , say a 426ci, or 440ci, may be even a 340ci?
  • Options
    gertsygertsy Member Posts: 1
    Iam looking for a NEW High top Ford conversion van, fully loaded that I can find when does the new models come out, whats the price range, and whats the pros and con,s,, Ive learned you get what you pay for... from Eastern Kentucky area.

ohjoy@zoomnet.net
  • Options
    hanrahanbhanrahanb Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know whether either the Honda or Toyota mini vans are made into conversion vans and where I can get information on a dealer who seels them?
  • Options
    sebringjxisebringjxi Member Posts: 140
    I just returned from Spring Break in Florida (from Kentucky)pulling a 30 foot long 1993 Prowler travel trailer with my 1996 Ford E-150 conversion van. All together about 2000 miles. I couldn't be happier.

The van is a LCM conversion. I understand they have gone belly up and now operating under new ownership. 1) The van is fantastic! It rides well and drives well, considering it's size. The TV/VCR/Rear A/C and rear stereo keep the kids entertained and off my back while driving. 2) It pulls the trailer with no sweat at all. This van is equipped with the 351 V8 and the 3.55 rear gear which results in dismal gas mileage around town (around 10) but on the road it's not bad. Pulling the trailer we averaged 8+ almost 9 most of the time and when we dropped the trailer it was in the 15 mpg neighborhood.

This is quite a change over my 1991 Ford with the same equipment. It struggled up (and down some) hills and averaged 5-7 pulling and never better than 12.9 mpg solo! In between the two Ford changed the body style and the fuel delivery system. It is amazing! I could pull 70+ mph anytime I wanted to. It hooked up so good I almost forgot the trailer was back there a couple of times!

I found this van the same way I've bought the last 2 or 3 new vehicles I've bought---wait until the model year changes and pick up a "hold over". This van listed for $18000 in the buff with a $22000 conversion package from LCM! The dealer received it on 3/26/96. I bought it on 2/1/97 at a price much less than the sticker and the dealer's original pricing.

LCM was touted by the dealer as a "premier" conversion company. I mean, it is nice, but I don't know if it is that much nicer than my 1991 when it was new. Things have changed, everybody has the hi-gloss wood work and mini lights in the overhead, TV/VCRs are common, as are second stereos. This van does have a mobile theater system with surround sound on the video tapes and a port for video games to plug into. I have trouble believing anyone put $22000 into a conversion package. Apparently so did everyone who looked at this van from 3/96 until I bought it.

Again, I couldn't be happier with my set-up. It pulls like a champ and it would be difficult to find one sharper (no bias here ;))
  • Options
    madoctormadoctor Member Posts: 1
    What I'm trying to find is a listing for the MSRP and cost of various conversion packages. Ex: In '93 I purchased a Midwest Vans model 21005 conversion package on a Chevrolet G20 SWB van. I'm looking into another van and would like to find to know more before I buy again.
  • Options
    veravera Member Posts: 1
    how do you find out invoivce price of conversion van and conversion package
  • Options
    dallas97dallas97 Member Posts: 1
    I live in NJ, I found the Conversion Van Factory Outlet-Piqua, Ohio on the internet. Is this the largest van dealership closest to NJ? I had a 93 Ford fully equipped Premier (they may be out of business by now) Conversion. We are the typical vehicle owners that really take care of their vehicles. Just after three years, the transmission went, we replaced it and 79,000 the motor had to be replaced. We did everything because this was a beautiful van and we loved it. Three weeks ago an 18 year old went speeding through a stop sign and totaled our van. Thank God, the van saved my life (and my little Dalmatian who was with me)

I like the look of the Ford Conversion Van but we are hesitant because of the trans and motor replacement (Fuel tank too) Has anyone had problems with Ford Vans? I notice the new vans are more streamline inside now, not as plush as they were.
  • Options
    mhenniemhennie Member Posts: 1
    We're in the market for our first conversion van. We live in the Dallas, Texas area. Regency and Travel Time seem to be the regional converters.

Does anyone have experience with these manufactures?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    minnow2minnow2 Member Posts: 3
    We are looking for our first conversion van and were all set to buy a Ford because of the engine and good ratings. The front leg room was so much less than our Plymouth minivan that we are now shopping around again. Any suggestions about pros and cons of GMC, Chevy, and Dodge.
  • Options
    pr4mncpluspr4mncplus Member Posts: 22
    Minnow2, I'm not sure I understand your comment about leg room. I have rented the minivans and find that the legroom in my full size Ford E150 Conversion Van is comparable. We decided to purchase a full-size van after driving quite a few mini-vans and price-wise -- they were all in the ballpark of $26-30k+. But the roominess of the conversion van was just too good to pass up. We purchased our van a little differently than most, buying the chassis from the dealership and then picking out the conversion kit dealer. But we were able to order EXACTLY to the inth what we wanted, right down to the weight of the pile carpet and color of leather. Anyway, the Ford was the obvious choice based mainly on the fact that the engine is not as intrusive into the cabin area as the others. And we have enjoyed our conversion van from day 1. We have the low top (to fit in the garage - why spend that much and have it sit out in the elements), with all the goodies. It's great for cross-county cruising with our two kids to Disney World including the Grandparents. And with the DVD surround sound player combo, we never run short on movies. I added a set of ARE custom chrome wheels and Goodyear wide radials and there you are. Anyway, good luck.
  • Options
    You mentioned wide radials--What size tires did you put on?

We have a '99 Chevy with 275/60r15's which were recommended to us for improved stability.

Although that precludes us from ever putting Michelin LX's (LT-MX??) on, we've been very happy with them.
  • Options
    You've probably already done this but since you only have 3 options, Ford, Chevy/GMC, and Dodge for full size rides, give each a test drive.

I'm partial to Chevy as the new vans handle much like a large GM sedan though they are certainly trucks in tight parking lots and in downtown areas.

I've never driven the Fords or Dodge's.
  • Options
    lmummlmumm Member Posts: 1
    Time to update the van in the family. Have a 93GMC 2500 with a Waldoch conversion (no leather, TV or VCR). 98,000 highway miles. Runs and looks great.

How bout it jboater, any idea on value? Thanks
  • Options
    srpgipsrpgip Member Posts: 1
    Would love some advice on how to price "invoice" on new conversions for full size vans. Have been looking at several converters, and so far like Legend and Glaval. And, of course, I seem to gravitate to their "top of the line." Glaval seemed high with conversion packages on the vans I'm considering from $13K to $18K. Legend's similarly equipped versions ran $9K to $12K. Does anyone have any idea where to find reliable information on actual cost to get a more realistic view of what the dealer invoice is?
  • Options
    1mumm;

Waldoch
    Boundary Waters, whsle 5760. retail 7380.
    Elan, whsle 1660. retail, 2230.
    LX-201, whsle 5020. retail, 6440.

Check Edmunds for chassis value.

Jerry
  • Options
    srpgip,

I have no info on Glaval or on Legend. I believe they choose not to publish any numbers.

Sorry, :(

Jerry
  • Options
    jpv2jpv2 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone have any experience or comments on Explorer vans? They seem relatively expensive (compared to others). Any suggestions on pricing these?

Jim
  • Options
    I spoke to Explorer last fall before settling on another conversion van. Explorer was more expensive but they look very sharp on the inside and outside. They also have a lot more bells and whistles which can push the price of a vehicle up to $50M.

I settled on a different converter but Explorer was my distant #2.

This site was very helpful in my decision making. Jerry was especially helpful--thanks!!

I've taken my van on several long trips and have been very pleased. I picked up a low top as I like to garage it. It's occassionally a hassle to have to hurdle the TV to get back and forth from the drivers seat but other than that, the lower roof does not phase us.
  • Options
    chicksonchickson Member Posts: 4
    We have a '93 Regency Brougham conversion in our Chevy van and have enjoyed it thoroughly. It is well designed and well built. As I understand, Regency is owned by the Fort Worth-based Don Davis Auto Group, and they are quite prominent in the DFW area.

Any specific questions, feel free to email me and I will see what I can do to provide an answer.

Craig
    handymancr@aol.com (Grapevine, TX)
  • Options
    referee44referee44 Member Posts: 1
    we are ready to buy a new dodge conversion van and are stuck with a big decision as to which conversion company to buy. we have looked at Mark III and are impressed at the se long base unit, as well as the primetime\ glavel long wheel base unit, and the sherrod conversion van.
    if you are the lucky or unlucky owner of one of these vans please comment both positively and negatively on your experiences with your van
    please respond asap. we need to buy real soon
  • Options
    Our local dealer has a 97 Gran Prix Chevy conversion with 39,0000 miles for $20,747.
    This seems high for a used conversion to me and I can't seem to find any info on the Gran Prix conversion either. Anyone have any info?
  • Options
    Just a few more questions. Has anyone out there looked at/purchased the half back conversion? And why do they appear to cost more than full conversions? We are thinking that it might be the way to go. The back cargo area would work for safely hauling tools/camping gear and the seating for 5 would be sufficient most of the time. The kids like to drive separate anyway. We also have a couple of canoes to haul but figure we will have to get a trailer for this.
  • Options
    maurermaurer Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know the value of a 1997 Ford E-150 with the Waldoch Sierra Conversion Package. The van has 61,000 miles. The dealer wants $18,000. Fair price?? The engine is the 5.4 Triton V-8. The van just came from the Ford Red Carpet Lease/auction.

Thanks in Advance!!
  • Options
    guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Car Man has good insight into used vehicle pricing:

What's a fair price for this used car ?

guitarzan
    Community leader/Vans conference
  • Options
    maurer,

NADA shows used whsle 4,860. and retail 6,750. on the conversion.
    NADA also indicates the average mileage range for '97 vehicle @ 30 - 35 thousand.
    Miles on the prospective van should have a significant adverse impact on the value of the van.
    Check Edmund's on chassis value and look closely at mileage adjustment.

Jerry
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    I had a 92 Ford Mark III van and only thing if I do get one again it will not have fiberglass running boards.
  • Options
    pyoderpyoder Member Posts: 1
    any feedback on the 99 cargo vans. I am looking to buy one. My hubby is a mechanic... any mechanical problems we should know about
  • Options
    cdtrettacdtretta Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Chevy Express 1500 with a Starcraft Heritage conversion package with upgrades. What a terrific van. It's more stable than my minivan is, and has TONS of room. We considered the 1999 ford Windstar SEL, the Astro AWD with conversion, and ended up with the 1500. What a beast! 6500 lbs towing with the 5.7L and 3.73 locking diff. Inside it has the full wood trim package, leather IBS seating, TV/VCP etc. My concerns with it at this point are with the painting from Starcraft. The striping is just starting to peel, and the front bumper has a couple of chips in the paint already. If the quality of that paint was as good as chevy's, it might not have happened. I bought it from Galles Chevrolet in Albuquerque. Good people to deal with. E-Mail me with any questions.
  • Options
    drstandrstan Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    We're in the Houston, TX area and are looking for a van conversion. We love the Ford E-150 Legend but it won't fit in the garage..too long. We found that the Dodge 1550 SWB will fit and is outfitted by Legend also. We're not big fans of Chrysler products so if you've had any experience with the Ram 1500, V-8 please let us know. Thanx, Terri & Stan Furce.E-mail drstan@swbell.net
  • Options
    diehard268diehard268 Member Posts: 2
    uses 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles from a rebuilt engine 4 months old is this common i will have rest of the story tomorrow but why so much oil please H E L P DIEHARD
This discussion has been closed.