Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    kaplinskykaplinsky Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to lease a 2.0T Passat Wagon w/ the Luxury Package #1. "They" have made their 2nd offer to me for 31,760 + TTL. Total w/ TTL + Maint + Tires for Life = 32,965. I'm in TX.

I find it off that you have to pay for Maint? I am retiring my 96 Audi A4 and have never heard of paying for oil changes while in the warranty period.

Thoughts? Please!
  • Options
    mbozemboze Member Posts: 2
    I live in the DC metro area and have been given an internet sale offer of $26,690 (plus TTL) for a 2007 Passat 2.0T with Luxury package #2, rubber floor mats/cargo liner and 17in LaMans wheels. Has any one received a better offer?
  • Options
    haifeehaifee Member Posts: 1
    I live in College Park, MD and an offer as follows:
    2006 Volkswagen Passat Sedan ("0" Package)
    Transmission: Automatic
    Exterior Color: Shadow Blue
    Interior Color: Black Leatherette

Dealer price: $21,895 (includes freight)
    Processing Fee: WAIVED
    MD TAX - 5%: 1,095
    MD Tags (est): $225

OUT THE DOOR: $23,215!!!*

I prefer base style(21000), and how about this offer? Help if you have some experience on it! Does any expert tell me what's major difference between base style and 2.0T which need to pay 1000$ more.

Thanks!
  • Options
    kaplinskykaplinsky Member Posts: 2
    I just got an internet offer for Wagon w/ Lux Pack #1 for 27521. Of course, you are looking at the sedan which is a little less - that makes up for the price difference.

Lux Pack #2 = Sport Package - I am only looking at #1.
  • Options
    extremeaudiextremeaudi Member Posts: 13
    From seeing other posts here, it appears that VW dealers in my area (NC) are putting the screws to people. Maybe they are making up for the great deals that others are getting around the country. I guess someone has to pay! :confuse:

Here's what I was quoted @ two different dealers for essentially the same car. Can anyone give any insight as to how good or bad this pricing is? Dealer #1 will not even give me all of the information that I requested about the lease (selling/lease price, residual %, money/lease factor). I asked for that info to be disclosed but it was "conveniently" missing from the quote. :mad: This has soured me from wanting to buy/lease a VW. It's unfortunate because I really enjoyed the cars. :sick:

Thanks for any feedback!

Vehicle #1 @ dealer #1
    '07 Passat 2.0T Sport Pack 2 w/Dynaudio & Nav (brand new)
    - Lease x 39 mos @ 15k mi/yr
    - Price @ $468/mo
    - $0 down except tax, tag, registration & 1st payment

Vehicle #2 @ dealer #1
    '07 Passat 2.0T Sport Pack 2 w/Nav
    (This car was a demo - one of the managers put approx 3200 miles on it. They tell me that since THEY have to pay for the miles that the car already has, MY payment would increase by $21/mo. This makes absolutely no sense to me. Sounds like they are rolling that into the payment.)
    - Lease x 39 mos @ 15k mi/yr
    - Price @ $489/mo
    - $0 down except tax, tag, registration & 1st payment

Vehicle #3 @ dealer #2
    '06 Passat 2.0T Luxury Pack 2 w/Dynaudio & Nav (brand new)
    - Purchase price @ $26,312
  • Options
    mbozemboze Member Posts: 2
    Actually, we are looking at the wagon not the sedan.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,210
    At those lease prices... I think I'd rather buy the '06 and finance it for 60 months..

What is the MSRP on the '06? Over $30K?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    extremeaudiextremeaudi Member Posts: 13
    Yes, the MSRP is $31,965... That's exactly what I was thinking.

I thought that VW had extended it's 0% APR program into January for the '06 models but I am being told that it ended 12/31/06 & is no longer available. I would think that the dealers would want to move these cars off their lots quickly & that they might get some help from VW to do so. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,210
    Since the price is well under invoice, I think they are getting the help in the form of dealer cash... How much, I don't know..

Once you decide that buying the '06 is the way to go... bargain hard.. maybe they'll drop it some more...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    keyur75keyur75 Member Posts: 14
    After all the bargaining - my final price for a 2006 Passat 2.0T with package 1 - $ 21500+++
    OTD is $ 23178.0

Apart from the package 1 the car is equipped with Mats.

Any idea - if its a fair price ? I am in NJ.
  • Options
    mexcarmexcar Member Posts: 21
    I was wondering what a good offer would be for a 2007 base MT. My impression from the (very helpful) forum is that some are doing quite a bit better than Edmunds's dealer invoice, which for the vehicle I'm looking at would be $21,986 , with MSRP of $23,869 and Edmunds TMV $23,011. I was actually hoping to come in around $20,000 plus TTL. Is this dreaming at this point?
  • Options
    sammya_mdsammya_md Member Posts: 69
    thanks for providing those numbers on the passat. i purchased the exact same model, passat base MT. I was able to get it for around 21,250 i think plus TTL....i am not sure of the exact price, my dad gave them an out the door price of 22.8k....which eventually they decided to take...we have 5% tax here in MD....but you should be able to get maybe 21k or something now, maybe a little lower as I bought the car awhile ago. 20k is probably dreaming, perhaps 20.8 or 20.9 would be a good deal plus TTL at this point
  • Options
    Thanks for the good info. Those numbers make sense. I did have a question: I noticed that Consumer Guide lists the 2007 base MT as having "air conditioning with automatic climate control" which I interpret to mean there is a thermostat that lets you set a temperature and the Climatronic system regulates to that temperature setting. But I noticed that the VW site itself merely listed "air conditioning". What does your car actually have? Also, how is the driving experience for you -- handling, highway quietness, etc.? Thanks again!
  • Options
    pkw0212pkw0212 Member Posts: 3
    I think it's a good deal.

I'm also interested in buying 2006 or 2007 passat.

Could you introduce your dealer for me ?

Thanks~ :surprise:
  • Options
    Around Detroit, MI. I went to 5 more deal shops but got a deal 2007 passat 2.0T package1 $26300 include tax and title.

I think it is not a good deal... ANyone help me ? Introduce your deal if you have a great deal. I can go there and buy and bring it....~ :)
  • Options
    Hi..
    Can I ask your OTD?
    please let me introduce your dealer :)
    Thanks
  • Options
    bergaminibergamini Member Posts: 45
    Saw on another thread that the manual transmission wagon has been available since October. So I sent emails to a bunch of area dealers and here's what I finally placed my order for today on the 2.0T wagon (non-base)with MANUAL transmission (3C55K2), the pricing was:

$25,730 - MSRP w/Destination

$23,332 - No Haggle Price from Dealer

This means a $2398 savings from MSRP to sales price. I'm thinking that's pretty fair, but any thoughts? Prolly too late but I'm curious to hear.

Options I added:

$310 - Rear Side Air Bags ($350 MSRP)
    $199 - Heated Front Seats ($225 MSRP)
    $120 - Mud Flaps (Port Installation) ($160 MSRP)

+ Tax, Title, License & $99 dealer service fee

Now all I have to do is wait!
  • Options
    ottomatic1ottomatic1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying to decide between a 2007 Passat and TL. I recently spoke to the local VW dealer and he gave me the following numbers for a 2007 Passat 3.6 with Package#1 Sport and Dynaudio:
    MSRP: $35620-- Selling Price: $33820
    Lease Term: 36 months -- 15K miles
    Monthly Pmt: $553.00
    Down Pmt: Zero
    Sales Tax rate: 6% included in payment amount
    Money factor: .00185

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
  • Options
    anc1anc1 Member Posts: 2
    Honestly, after looking at all the price being tossed around (plus I am in the marker for the 07 Passat)I think it is not a good idea to lease this vehicle. To much money out of pocket for a vehicle you are going to return. The residual is killing us.
  • Options
    essenessen Member Posts: 2
    Is it kosher to ask for the Dealership where you got the quote from ? Seems like a decent price to me. Thanks.
  • Options
    sorry for the delay in getting back to you.....yes the auto climate control is just as you mentioned in Consumer Guide.

I love it..it handles great, and very quiet on the highway, you can't tell how fast you are going without looking at the speedometer. Very quick, espically with the manual, the turbo is great. I love the roominess of the inside, as well as the quality finish. Couldn't be happier. Let me know if you have any more questions.
  • Options
    It sounds really nice; funny that the Volkswagen web site seems to understate the air conditioning equipment. Have you gotten a feel for actual gas mileage on the highway? Also, Consumer Guide mentioned something about two "cooled" compartments; what's that all about? Do you find these useful?
    Again, many thanks!
  • Options
    On the highway really depends, on level highway, going around 70mph, I'm getting 33-34 mpg as reproted by the computer. However, on trips over hilly highways (basically up down up down over moutains), I was more at 29-30mpg. Can't complain for a car with the Passat's kind of power.

Apparently the glovebox has a vent you can open up that will in effect heat or cool the compartment with whatever air temperature you have currenlty set the climate control at. So it could be thought of as a mini-fridge or something. I don't find it that useful, but then again, it's snowing around here, so I'm not sure.

I obviously recommend taking it out for a test drive, everyone has different tastes, but I love mine, and it also handles great in the snow. The standard ESP is a great safety feature that would have been extra on a camry SE which I was also looking at.

let me know if you have any other questions
  • Options
    That snow handling appeals today -- ten inches last night and my Chevy was fishtailing left and right today. The car you describe sounds perfect for us. I love driving a manual with some spunk that handles well; and the quiet highway manners and room are great, and rare I think, things to go with that. Got to wait 'til some of the snow melts but you've got me really looking forward to that test drive. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    No problem, let me know what you think after you take a test drive. I can also look up my exact price paid before Tax and title, etc if you decide on buying the car. Since it would be the same model/etc as I bought. I bought mine in October, so you might even be able to get a little lower price.

I also forgot to mention the space factor. I'm 6'3 and love the fact I have so much room in the drivers seat, and if I have people in the backseat, they aren't cramped at all. A huge trunk and overall feel of luxury I feel are second to none for this price range.
  • Options
    chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Does anyone know what the incentives are for Feb. on leftover 2006 Passats? Is it still $3500? I'm thinking about picking one up. Our local dealer has 3 value pkg models left. I'm very tempted. :)
  • Options
    j_virginiaj_virginia Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a graphite blue one.

The 'no-hassel' price is 25153+TTL. It is little bit over our originial budget but the dealer didn't give us a lot of space/time to bargain :( .

So far it feels great to drive this car, very spacious and driver friendly. The throttle is not very responsible at low speed, but on the highway, the turbo is very powerful and smooth. I am happy with it :)
  • Options
    bergaminibergamini Member Posts: 45
    I have a hard time believing that price. The MSRP on the 2.0T with Package #1 is $28,810 and your price is basically $3,700 less than list. That's a huge discount.
  • Options
    depends on what the invoice price was. you can pick up a passat for under invoice...i was able to get one for 800 or so under invoice on a base MT sedan back in october..so now should only be greater
  • Options
    The dealer told us that they are trying to get rid of those wagons from their lot because a new group is arriving. There is a 1300 additional discount from VW if the wagon (not sure about the sedan) is in the lot for more than 3 months. We look at the dealer's invoice and our price is like 1000 below it but that's definitely not their 'bottom line'.
  • Options
    kellyrckellyrc Member Posts: 2
    j- did you purchase in VA and if so would you identify the dealer? I'm east coast and hearing from dealers that there are no incentives and they're still 1000+ over invoice
  • Options
    Sorry for the delayed answer. It is Bill Britt VW in Fredericksburg. You can check their inventory and promotion at www.billbrittvw.com. Good luck!
  • Options
    kellyrckellyrc Member Posts: 2
    thanks, I'll check the site!
  • Options
    jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    Can anyone tell me the difference between a 2.0T 4dr Wagon N/A 06/06 and just a 2.0T wagon? Edmunds has them both listed. The one I'm looking at is of the "N/A 06/06" variety. Thanks
  • Options
    sudhanshudesaisudhanshudesai Member Posts: 1
    Please let me know if its worth buying 2001 PassatGLS 4-Cyl. 1.8L Turbo for $7000 which has 113000 mi on it.

Will there be any kind of Problems in Passat at 113000 mi?
    How may Miles would these cars run without any problem?

I want a car Which would run for atleast couple of years.

And can I get any kind of extended Warranty for this car?

Please reply me
  • Options
    stephangstephang Member Posts: 9
    That's one that puzzled me too. Here is the deal: VW released the Wagon in Feb 06 but listed it as an 07 model. They stopped it production in June and started introduced the real 07 model afterwards. So now you have two 07 models that can be found at dealers with one a year older than the other one! I am not sure how to differentiate them except for the option packages: the new ones have now packages labeled "luxury" or "sport" that are similar to the sedan version. FYI I just bought a new 07 model with package 2 luxury, but it took short of a miracle to find it in the northeast! (someone had specially ordered it and then backed out of the sale!). When I got it, it was thefirst time the salesmen had saw the new car!
  • Options
    cynicalcynical Member Posts: 5
    I am shopping around for a 2007 2.0T MT w/no add-ons which is similar to what you said you bought back in october. The best price I have so far is $23,367 OTD. I am curious as to what you were able to get OTD. I live in the Los Angeles area. Thanks.
  • Options
    I got mine for 22,800 or so out the door. Keep in mind that we have 5% sales tax, and I think (not sure), that CA has 7.25%. That extra 2.25%, which I think is around 500 difference when you factor that in. All being told, I think you have a good deal on that car, although I would think now being end of March, you could do better (by a few hundred) than I did in October, but that is just my thought..i have no idea..they also might have factory to dealer incentives..but again..i have stopped following that once i bought my car

what color were you looking at?
  • Options
    cynicalcynical Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for they quick reply!

Yes, the tax difference does account for roughly $500. A $2000 factory incentive is supposedly accounted for in that price and it's been 5-6 months since you bought yours. I think I should be able to do better as well. Also, it seems that MT is not very popular according to the sales people I have talked to. Wouldn't this mean that I should be getting an even better deal though? Was this your experience? One sales manager told me that that he's giving me this price because no one wants a manual.

In terms of color I don't have a huge preference, but they seem to have a lot of white. Whatever keeps the price down(other than green) is fine with me.

Did you have any extra options on yours? How is the car so far? Any issues arise yet(rattles, other)?
  • Options
    I am not sure what incentives they have, but if this $2000 is true, then I would definately thing you would be able to do better. By what factor, I'm not sure.

Don't believe the things he says about a MT. Yes they aren't popular, but yet VW still makes them. I would advise looking at surrounding dealerships and finding one that has a couple manuals on the lot. When I went to get my car, the dealership I bought from had the exact car I wanted, and then the next closest dealership had 2 of them. We felt no pressure to buy at the first place, other than more convience, and they met our price and didn't try to BS that much (they are car dealers after all).

I wouldn't think color affects the price at all. I have a black one and absolutely love it.

I have no extra options on the car, it is the bare bones passat, which is plenty for me. Rims and the sport package would have been nice, but that adds another 3-4k to the price based on how they package the accessories.

I love the car so far, it's got alot of power, and I'm averaging 28.5 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. Plus I'm 6'3 and am able to fit more than comfortably driving. I don't even have the seat back all the way.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm happy to help as best I can.
  • Options
    rachelrumphyrachelrumphy Member Posts: 1
    Hi Ray!
    Thanks for the good word....too funny...I was just on here and happened to see my name...! I don't sell cars anymore...I am now a stay at home mom and have my own cake business! I really do miss the car business though! Although I can't take the hours with my family being more important!So from time to time I look at forums and try to keep up with the latest!

Sincerely,
    Rachel Schnoor
  • Options
    bigdaveinomahabigdaveinomaha Member Posts: 26
    On 3/23/2007 I picked up a used '06 Passat from Brother's Auto Sales in Sioux Falls, SD. Car is loaded with Luxury Pkg 2 and NAVI, does not have AWD. Car had 8500 miles on it and picked it up for $27,000 even. They have a sport pkg. 2 with AWD and NAVI for sale also. Asking $30k. I spent about 30 minutes at the dealership before I was on my way home. Great experience.
  • Options
    teflon80teflon80 Member Posts: 26
    VW Manager at local Dealer told me they are extending a $5000 incentive which was supposed to end last month. That along with $1500 loyalty would bring cust cash to $6500. Depending how close you could bring price down to invoice, you could get a sick sick sick deal. I am contemplating trading my 05 in for an 07, depending how much i get for trade in.
  • Options
    yybugyybug Member Posts: 9
    Bay area

got this quota:

2007 Passat 2.0T, Mocha with Package 1

MSRP: $27,440

Special Internet price: $25,650 plus tax and license

OTD: $28,135.23

How much should I offer?.. :confuse:
  • Options
    peatnickpeatnick Member Posts: 26
    Buck County, PA
    Base Price $29,956
    Destination 640
    Package 1 2,970
    Rear Air Bags 350
    Port Prep 407

Sub-Total $34,323
    Less Passat Incentive $ 3,500
    Less Loyalty Bonus $ 1,500
    $28,973 + TTL

Two specific items would be interested in:

earlier post menitoned $5K Passat incentive, salesman claimed it didn't exist, but later emailed me it was $3,500.

also, wtf is a port prep fee, is that just for red headed step children like me??? :confuse:
  • Options
    vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    "Port Prep" has been a standard fee on VWs for the past 12 years, at least...It is part of the Invoice price of the car, it is not an option...
  • Options
    peatnickpeatnick Member Posts: 26
    funny, i don't remember port prep being on the sticker like the destination fee is, if its charged to the dealer isn't it just part of their cost of doing business? i also don't recall paying it when i bought my 2000 passat 4 motion...

any insights on the 4motoin incentive, is it $3,500 or $5,000?
  • Options
    yybugyybug Member Posts: 9
    Is the Passat Incentive $ 3,500 for 4 motion only or any passat?
  • Options
    vwguild1vwguild1 Member Posts: 98
    I smell a kink..."Port Prep", as I mentioned yesterday, is part of the Dealer's Invoice cost of the car, along with any Regional Advertising fees. BTW...the Ad Fees are different than local newspaper or TV spots that the Dealership purchases itself...That would be cost of business and customers are not charged for them. The Regional Ad fees are for buys that VWOA makes on behalf of all the Dealers in a given market...Bucks County, Philadelphia, and Atlantic City for example. Or, the NY metro area...NY, NJ and Conn. These fees all vary because of the different demographics...Don't believe Iowa or Kansas Dealers get charged much at all, if anything.

Your target price should not reflect anything other than the difference between MSRP and Invoice. And not paying Port Prep twice...

BTW...Is the Black Bass Hotel still great???
  • Options
    alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    where in the bay area? a finance manager who used to work for a VW dealership told me that the 07 passat were not selling well. how about pushing for $25k OTD?