Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

Comments

• bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Standard Wheels:

19" Wheels:
  • nuwildcatnuwildcat Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. Any opinions on how the 19" wheels handle the snow vs the standard 18" wheels? "Mr Shiftright" says the ride is rougher and that's a turn-off for me. But how about handling in winter weather? Thanks again...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You know it'd be great if you could drive a car with these wheels on---because tolerance for "hard ride" is so subjective.

I don't imagine that size has much to do with snow traction, but rather the tread designs available for the tires regardless of size...

Actually looking just at the photos, I can't say that I see any dramatic difference. This is a BIG car, so the wheel size is sort of lost in the overall mass of the vehicle, to my eyes anyway.
    Actually looking just at the photos, I can't say that I see any dramatic difference. This is a BIG car, so the wheel size is sort of lost in the overall mass of the vehicle, to my eyes anyway.

Maybe it's the fact that I've seen both wheels on 750's in person... Perhaps the pictures don't do it justice? In any event, there was a marked difference in the two. The 19" style is just so much more "luxurious" or something...
    Well sure nothing like "the real thing". The photos don't seem to show a whole lotta difference.

I've been cruising various forums outside Edmunds about this and one Benz owner said he went to 19" and his ride quality was not dramatically different---a bit firmer but he liked the firmer ride he said. Also he made a GOOD suggestion---that if you upgrade to 19"s, make sure the wheel is of the highest quality, as the slimmer tire does make the wheel more susceptible to road shock. So no cheapo discount wheels. Looks like yours are from BMW so that's good (I think!).
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    Honestly, the ride is fine, the BMW rides much better than my 2004 E55 with 18 inch wheels.

To me, the 19 inch is just about right, the car looks so much nicer with these wheels. The 20 may be pushing it but I have seen 21 inch wheels on the 7!

You may want to check with BMW or tirerack to see if they make 19 inch winter tires? I think I may go with 18 if I need to put snow tires on, or 19 for summer and 18 for winter if I do not have a winter vehicle.

The 750Li is a fine car, ask away if you have any questions!
  • mimeomimeo Member Posts: 10
    During highway passing and the engine drops from 5th to third, a couple of times it has felt like the transmission is slipping. Revs are high, but the car is not accelerating fast until it shifts to fourth and then takes off. Has anyone experienced this? Is this an adjustment that is needed or a sign that the transmission is going bad?
    How many miles do you have on the car?
    70,000 miles I have had the car since 35k mi. and have not previously had any trans problems
    In Addition, it does not appear to happen in normal acceleration but rather on-ramps or traffic areas when I am going relatively slow and need it to drop to 3rd to get into traffic.
    Sounds like a pressure drop...you should check the fluid level first off...is there a service coming up on that transmission? I also don't know if there are electronic controls for shifting on that unit...if so...that's worth a look....there may be codes available to scan on that...
  • esvcaddy4meesvcaddy4me Member Posts: 8
    Can you tell me if and when there has been a body style change on the 7 series? We are looking at several '02 and up. Have there been any major problems with this series. The ones we are looking at are all pre-cert through BMW.
    Thanks
    Can you tell me if and when there has been a body style change on the 7 series? We are looking at several '02 and up. Have there been any major problems with this series. The ones we are looking at are all pre-cert through BMW.

The 7-Series was dramatically revamped for the 2002 model. It was slightly changed for 2006 (slightly changed exterior to make a nicer front and rear end).

As for problems, it is widely accepted that the 2002 and 2003 7-Series are problem cars. They had significant electrical and computer issues. Most cars were resolved pretty well, but some pre-owned out there still have problems. However, BMW does have a 6yr/100k (from original purchase date) full new car warranty for those cars, so at least you are covered if there are problems. My advise would generally be to avoid those two model years....
    Thank you for that info. One more question..since we are looking at used, we have noticed that some are certified with the longer warranty and some are not. How does this work? We have seen a few that we liked but they did not have the extended warranty.
    Thanks
    If any BMW is a Certified Pre-Owned at a BMW dealer, then it will have the remainder of the new car warranty, and when that expires the CPO warranty will kick in. The CPO warranty is for 6yr/100k (whichever comes first) from the original new car purchase date.

I'm not sure why a Certified car you're talking about wouldn't have an extended warranty.... that's part of the CPO program. As for the 7-series, all of the 2002 and 2003 models have the 6yr/100k NEW car warranty, regardless of it being certified or not. The new car warranty covers everything (as opposed to the CPO warranty, which doesn't cover things like accessories, radio, body noises, etc) and doesn't have a deductible like the CPO ($50 per occurance).

If it is not a 2002 or 2003 7-series, then the new car warranty would be 4yr/50k. Then the same CPO 6yr/100k would pick up where that leaves off.

The other great benefit of BMW's CPO program is the financing rates. Right now the 2002 7's have 2.9% for up to 60 months and 4.9% for 72 months, while the 2003 models have 3.9% for up to 60 months. Pretty hard to beat those rates.
    Thank you for all your help bdr127. I have looked online but I am not finding any info regarding the NEW car warranty on the 02-03 model. Even when I email a dealer with a 7 series they only give me the 4/50K or the cpo warranty info. Is there somewhere on the BMW site that I can look at to get all this info or do I just need to sit down with the dealer. I'd like to have as much info as possible before I go to the dealer though. Thank you again.
    It's just straight-out fact.... Any and all 2002-2003 BMW 7-Series have a 6yr/100k full new car warranty. That's just the way it is.

When they first came from the factory, they had the 4yr/50k... but after the initial problems, BMW just said, "Okay, okay... We'll fix the problems, and we'll also back that up by giving every car in those model years a full new car warranty of 6yr/100k." Anyone telling you otherwise just isn't informed.

Try talking to a BMW service advisor. I'm sure they would know, for sure.
  • lopzlopz Member Posts: 22
    Is there a way to increase the amount of telescoping a steering wheel does beyong the manufacturer's set up? I cannot find a truly comfortable position because if my legs are nicely stretched and supported then I need to lean forward to reach wheel even when it's all the way out. I drive 4,000 miles every month...
  • wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    esvcaddy4me and bdr127

This morning I went to the BMW dealership for state inspection. While there, I asked my BMW service advisor and client advisor (who sold my 745 Li to me) and they both emphasized that the 2002 and 2003 models of 745 have 6-year/100K miles warranty. They will not volunteer that information but if you ask they cannot deny it. Therefore, the warranty on the 2002 and 2003 745s will end at the same time that the 2004 and 2005 models, respectively, will end because of the two-year extensions.

My 2 cents.

Wabends :)
  • waggywaggy Member Posts: 6
    I have a client whose father passed away and left him with a 2000 740i sport with 55k miles. exterior is silver with gray interior. all factory options except cold package. looks like it just rolled out of the showroom. If it is sound after lookover by mechanic, would $19500 be a decent deal......will need tires within the next year....thanks for input
    that's about retail...no bargain, no rip-off...just "retail book". Tires won't be cheap, so I'd bargain on this car...maybe $19K minus tire costs....
    If the numbers on the back match the numbers on my fob what do I need to do to make it work with my car. We just bought an '02 745i and it only had one key fob. Also, how many navigation discs usually come with this car and where can I find replacements.
    Thanks
    Also, how many navigation discs usually come with this car and where can I find replacements.

I believe the 2002 model uses CD discs and not DVD, right? (Check on the drive itself to see if it says CD or DVD.) It comes as a 8 disc set or 2 DVDs for the continental US. Both are the same price at around $200+ for a new set at a BMW dealer. I'm sure you can find a used set online on eBay or something, though....
  • fbtdcfbtdc Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1999 740IL the drivers seat and adj steering columb do not work I have inspected the fuses under the hood and in the trunk I have 12v in and out of the fuses I do not have a service manual could somone please tell me is there a relay and where is it located?
  • woodranch1woodranch1 Member Posts: 35
    Hi, I noticed a black 7 series (2006) without chrome trim around the trunk and other places. Is this an option (no chrome), or did the guy just remove it somehow himself? thx.
    The sport package comes with "shadowline trim", which is basically "no chrome."
  • geo745geo745 Member Posts: 1
    I nwoukld have them reload the car system CD. This will cure a lot of Freezes and etc...
  • tmjddstmjdds Member Posts: 22
    I just called to schedule my 17th service appointment for my 2004 745Li. Only 20,000 miles. I cannot take it anymore! Has anyone used the lemon law to get action on their 7 series? Do I need a lawyer? Contact BMW directly? HELP :lemon:
  • cjennjrcjennjr Member Posts: 7
    I purchased a 2002 BMW 745i from a dealer in TN during Oct 05, and the used car saleman did not have any idea that the 2002's had a six year, 100K warranty. They even went so far to have a used car sales sticker on the window which indicated "NO WARRANTY - AS IS." Nevertheless, I am completely satisfied so far with the car and the service that the dealership provide.
  • bmwnabmwna Member Posts: 32
    I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
  • jannellwjannellw Member Posts: 2
    hello all i just bout my 1st 98 740il, and i love it.... i purched it from peter pan bwm in cali... how ever if u seen it u would think it was an 01 they changed the lights, and rims and it is soooo roomy :)
  • jannellwjannellw Member Posts: 2
    hello,...ok when you open up the hood on a 98 740il the round blk cap looking thing, is that the oil filter? also if u dont have a gasket between the top and bottom will that cause the oil to leak?.. im sorry but i dont know much so hopefully someone know what im talking about...than you
  • thejax2006thejax2006 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I've been looking at cert pre owned 7 series for a few months. I was told by a BMW salesman to stay away from any 7 series that was built before May of 2003 due to serious problems with the computer.

Anyone else heard of this? If so, how would BMW assist in this? I mean, I'd would hate to have to be constantly at a dealer with my car, but wouldn't BMW at some point have to do something to resolve the problem if I was there repeatedly for the same problem?

Thanks in advance!
  • sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    Greetings,

I am also extremely interested in purchasing a CPO 03 745Li with the sport package. Can someone comment on the vehicle from a mechanical view, ie engine, tranny reliability?

thejax2006,

I havent heard abt the pre may 03 production dates. since you've mentioned it, i've only been looking at post may 03 production dates and lemme tell you, its been tough to find em. the majority of the production dates fall between 11/02 thru 3/03. Hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for since the 3.9% financing may disappear soon.

Thanks.
  • yak54yak54 Member Posts: 72
    My car has been put on a boat to S.C. How can I track it online?
    Greetings,

Can someone pls tell me if only CPO 03s come with the additional 2 yr, 60k mile warranty - or do non-certified 03s also qualify. I found the 7 series I'm looking for but its at a Mercedes/Chevy dealer. Vehicle has 25k miles, and its an 03, non CPO with a clean carfax history.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
  • mikey94025mikey94025 Member Posts: 8
    All 02s and 03s have the warranty.
  • sag5sag5 Member Posts: 9
    Hello! i would really appreciate any guidance you can give me to help with my purchase of this car. the exterior and interior appearance of this car is fabulous. it has a wonderful ride, but i am nervous about its mechanical reliability. Are there certain areas that i should pay particular attention to in my examination of this car. are there particular questions i should ask the dealer about this car. i ran the carfax and it was clean. i know so little about buying a used car,particularly one in this price range. the extended warranty calms my nerves just a little. the car is a one owner vehicle out of New York. was shipped from germany in 4/03. Thanks!
    i would suggest getting the VIN# of the vehicle and having the BMW dealer provide the service history. the shorter the list, the better :) i also just recently purchased an 03 745Li and the vehicle has been great. i do currently have an annoying RPM issue which the dealer is looking into. other than that, its been fine.

good luck.
    Thanks sadatx! wonderful advice! i will let you know how i made out. good luck to you too! how long have you had your car. what rpm issue are you experiencing, i read something an earlier about the rpm dropping. again thanks for taking the time to respond! i have some serious butterflies about this purchase. what has your gas/mileage experience been. i currently drive a chrysler 300 and my husband is convinced my mileage will be the same.
    Hi Sag5,

I've had my car for a little over a month. the rpm issue im experiencing is basically the rpm needle doesnt remain on 500 when the car is in idle or in park with the AC off. My BMW dealer has a puma case open with BMW on this matter. Ive also observed from other boards that this rpm issue im having is being experienced by other ppl as well with no solution just yet. So far my gas mileage has been abt 16.5 mpg (driving in both the city and on expressways).

If you decide to purchase the vehicle, the 60k mile service will run you abt a thousand dollars (this is what my dealer told me b/c im debating on the purchase of the additional 2yr/50k full maintence package which is being offered to me at $1300). So if you can, have your dealer throw that in for free with the deal :)

good luck.
    Thanks sadatx! I have actually decided against buying the car at this point. after talking with several people who recently purchased this model, i realized that i really can't afford this car - the gas alone would be huge for me. continue to enjoy your recent purchase, it is a wonderful car and i will continue to appreciate from afar. thanks again for your time and attention.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter aims to speak with anyone who has owned a vehicle and found its controls to be complicated. Please respond to jfallonedmunds.com by Monday, July 17, 2006, and be sure to include your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • rohan25rohan25 Member Posts: 4
    Is this a good deal for a late 03 model with just 21K miles. Car was under corporate lease and was turned in as a trade in. Car fax and auto check is clean. I am looking to buy the car this week. Any advise would be appreciated.

How do I check the service history of the car.

Thanks
  • bmwmirrorbmwmirror Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know how I can get replacement back cover for the outside passenger side mirror? It popped off when hit by a door in a parking lot.
  • zkaudiozkaudio Member Posts: 60
    Anyone here have any advice on how the leasing process works for cpo 745 models? It seems like the lease would be very affordable due to the low depreciation on a 2yr old model. I'm looking at 03 and 04 cpo 745's right now. What would be a reasonable lease payment on a cpo 745 03 w/ aroudn 39k miles and sticker of 42? Thanks in advance I love this forum!
  • eric312eric312 Member Posts: 71
    I have 2001 740i with 59,000 on it. Last night i was using Navigation and by accident clicked on emergency option on the screen. Nav showed me my location and then screen went blank. I turned off the car but screen would not come back. Radio, cd etc. are working ok.
    I took out Nav DVD disc and turned on the car, screen came back. I turned off the car, put the DVD disc back in and turned the car on. Screen was blank, grey with white lines. I then tried taking DVD out again but it would not come out.

Just wanted to know if anyone run into similiar issue and how it was resolved. It sucks that my certified warranty run out in June.

Thanks for your help.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I'd wonder why it had only 21K miles? I Drive too complicated, too much service work, etc?

Man, these things make a Porsche's maintenance issues not even worth mentioning. Scary. I wonder who in the secondary market is going to buy a 7 Series when they come off all the hidden warranty programs in a couple of years?
    The 7 series does not tend to do well in resale once out of warranty; so people shopping for them used should not be afraid to bargain hard....it's a buyer's market on these cars when they are used and not CPO cars.
  • eric312eric312 Member Posts: 71
    I was able to temporarily solve the problem by:
    1. Disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes
    2. Taking out Nav DVD
    3. Putting DVD back into reader

Everything worked ok for about 2 days and then Nav screen went grey again while i was
    driving. I reset the computer (see above) and screen started working again. But this time
    radio stopped working after about 5 min. I had to turn radio off and back on again. It worked
    for another 5-10min and then stopped at which point screen went dark again.

Any ideas/suggestions???