Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 7-Series 2006 and earlier

1202122232426»

Comments

• daviebraddaviebrad Member Posts: 1
    after going over rail road tracks the trans prog light came on and the transmission was very sluggish. i pulled over and let the car set for 5 hours and it started up and acted fine. i had it towed home as i was afraid to drive it. the book says i have a transmission module failure. should i try driving it again or what? i hate to spend a lot of money on an old car. plaese advise.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You may find this helpful:

BMW E38 Watch List
  • reji007reji007 Member Posts: 10
    So after many years of leasing new cars, I'm finally considering buying a car. My current Infiniti M35x is coming off of lease and after quite a bit of looking, I am unable to find a comparable lease deal to what I had (looked at a number of luxury vehicles).

I really like the interior and exterior of the 2006 BMW 750Li/750i (and after doing some research, this seems like a great car to purchase) and I've gone to BWM dealerships as well as "luxury used car" dealerships. Cars that I've seen have anywhere from 27K to 42K miles and range in price from $36,000-$47,000.

Now I understand that buying a CPO from BMW gives me a) 3.9% financing and b) a 6 year/100K warranty. But some of these luxury used car dealership have considerably lower prices (sometimes over $5,000 difference for comparable cars) and talking to some of these non-BMW dealerships, I've been told that a) the BMW factory warranty (including free maintenance) to 4 years/50K miles still applies and b) I can purchase extended bumper-to-bumper warranties for about $2K or so (that have 0 deductibles) and that these would give me 4 years/50K miles bumper-to-bumper protection from the date of purchase.

I have a few questions:

1) Is buying a BMW 7 series from a non-BMW dealer something that people have experienced/suggest?
    2) Has anyone had experience with these third party bumper-to-bumper warranty companies?

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A large local newspaper would like to speak with consumers who currently own or had owned a BMW 7 Series since the 2002 model came out. The reporter wants to discuss topics such as the Bangle butt and the iDrive. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than September 15.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• neenneen Member Posts: 12
    Hi. I just got my car today and I can't figure out how to connect my ipod to it. Do I just purchase a cable that fits into the jack for audio playback in the center console? Please help.

Thanks
  • wonderwoman1wonderwoman1 Member Posts: 1
    I need a owner's manual for my BMW 735il. I have lost mine and I really depend on it. I would like to know if anyone has one I could get or knows of any place I may get one.
    This might help:

Manuals Online

If not, you can't go wrong with eBay for this sort of thing.
  • techman41973techman41973 Member Posts: 83
    I am considering purchasing a 97 740I with 155K. I am concerned with reliability and how much money I would need to dump into the car for repairs over time.
    I would appreciate to hear your repair experiences from 100K-250K for the 95-01 7-series generation.
    This question has been thoroughly addressed in your duplicate post in 7 series maintenance topic.

Visiting Host
    Oops! Here's your link to that answer:

Answer to Your Question
  • bgcolobgcolo Member Posts: 1
    First thanks in advance for any advice you may have on test driving this car. I am a pretty particular when it comes to cars, and I truly have fallen in love with this beauty. 96k miles and I am thinking very well priced at 11k. Impeccable condition and this guy has spent his share at the dealership. Aside from the regular maint, he has replaced the PS pump and hoses, Wiper motor, Front brakes, Tires, Radiator hoses, Water pump.... I am looking for some advice in specifically what to pay attention to when I am out with it. Please Advise
    In terms of a test drive I think if I were you I'd spend the time to work every switch, lever or gadget in the car, either before, after or during the test drive. That would include all the windows, trunk latch, hood latch, cruise control, radio, AC/Heat controls, power seats both sides, etc. And pay attention for any warning lights--some are not too visible in daylight.
  • atoritiatoriti Member Posts: 1
    The hood release on my 760 is not working and I was just told by the BMW dealership here in Orlando that the only way to open the hood is to break the front grille and access the latch. Has anyone heard of an issue like this? or know a way to open the hood without destroying the grilles?
    That sounds totally nuts to me. Is there a high-line body shop in your area, that repairs cars of this calibre? I bet they know how to do it without using a brick.
  • bmw559bmw559 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 760Li. How did you get finally get the problem fixed?
  • bmw559bmw559 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how to get the hood open on My BMW if the hood latch is broken???
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 7
    I found the seat of the new 750iL (and and '07 I sat in) not too comfortable. And what's with the thigh support thing that slides out and leaves an empty gap that the back of your leg falls into? I need the thigh support because of my long legs, but then there is
    just empty space from the back of the thigh support pad to the seat cushion, and it feels awful. I test drove an '06 7-series 3 years ago and, from memory, thought the seat was bigger and much more comfortable, and I don't remember the thigh-support issue. Overall, the seat cushion did not tilt back enough and the seat just seemed a bit small. The 5-series had a better seat. Am I imagining things? I'm 6-feet tall, 210 pounds. Thanks.
  • dynodandynodan Member Posts: 1
    I need to get new tires for my 2006 750LI. I live in Maine so good all season tires are a must. My research so far says that the Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads are a great tire.
    I wonder if someone has these tires on a 7 series and can tell me of their experience.
    The size is 245-50-18" Thank you in advance, Dan
  • saxon2nsxsaxon2nsx Member Posts: 19
    After years of dirty looks and countless dreams, I have finally decided to hunt for a 7 series BMW. Unfortunately, my better half, to make the whole experience less rewarding and more difficult, have only allocated 20K for the purchase. I am painfully aware how "small change " it represents when it comes to this particular make and model, but since changing wife option is a lot more costly ("cheaper to keep her" never sounded more apt), I will have to stick to the budget this time.
    This kind of $$$ will only allow me to fish for 2002 models only (not too fond of pre 02 ones) and I am fine with that. Regrettably, that year is considered not the most sought after and has a rather low opinion among those who care. However, it seems that the reality might not be as bleak as it had been painted. Here is why I think 2002 is actually a good year for 7s.
    1. Extra long BMW warranty - unlike later years 2002 have been provided an extended factory warranty by BMW to appease and retain those who bought them in the first year production.
    2. The car looks is not that much different from the latter years and it should age well.
    3. One can find well taken care of examples for 20K +/- making it a great buy.

One example of a well taken care of vehicle:

http://www.biancoautosales.com/carsforsale.aspx

Consequently, I am in a search for one. any advice, opinions, views are more than welcome.

Cheers!
    This is a duplicate post that we are already discussing

HERE

Visiting Host
  • 1cricket1cricket Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 740i bmw I took off the cover of the fuse box under the hood. As i loosened the last bolt the alarm went off. I used the key/clicker to turn it off. Now the car wont start. Any ideas?
  • tamiorlofftamiorloff Member Posts: 1
    I feel compassion for ALL of us who are experiencing "buyer beware" syndrome! I have a 2006 750i and simultaneously All the electronics have now stopped working! Air, doors, windows, key start,you name it! Sad part is BMW North America will not take responsibility for their service center who apparently could use further training and not at the consumers cost! Help from anyone who is pursuing legal action or wants to! I have been in touch /BMW NO America with much "lip" service and no action!