Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• spike53spike53 Member Posts: 2
    I was extremely happy with the price I paid in early Oct for my 99 LHS. No haggling... $26,700 in newspaper, with every option. I've put 2,800 miles on it so far including a trip from San Jose area to Palm Springs and love the car. It's my first 4 door, first front-wheel drive, and I wouldn't go back to my 96 T-bird for anything. I really like the styling and chose the LHS over the 300M for the extra room- plus I thought the autostick would tend to distract me over time. I still don't see very many LHS's on the road and so get many looks and compliments, especially in the small town I live in. By the way, does anyone know what LHS stands for?
  • robin354robin354 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 95 LHS and the closest I could get to a "definition" of LHS is; Chrysler uses the letters to describe the car type. The Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Concorde, and the LHS are all LH type 4 door sedans. The S in LHS may mean sedan, special, or "extended". With Chrysler, however, it may just be an extra letter desiganted for the longer LH sedan.

I'm looking at trading in January for a 2000 LHS in "blue steel". If your car has a sunroof, I'd be interested in your opioion of the amount of wind noise when its closed. Also, let us know how if you're satisfied with the ride, miles per gallon, etc.

Congrats on the new car

Rob
  • jambi2jambi2 Member Posts: 5
    The original LHS was built on the LH platform but the bodied was stretched and thus longer than the Concorde/Vision/Intrepid (LH triplets), which were all the same length. So LHS means LH stretched. But now the second generation Concorde is longer than the second generation LHS so the name doesn't hold meaning anymore.
  • hijinxhijinx Member Posts: 7
    Got this from a DC insider:

Luxury High Standard.

Don't know if that's the case, but it seems to make more sense.

Paul
  • daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    I had my first opportunity to take my new 99 LHS out on the open road, this weekend. The car performed admirably. We got 26 MPG on the highway (18 in the city), better than I had expected on a new engine.

The LHS rides better than any other car I've ever owned, and though we did (finally) experience some of that "road noise" that supposedly plagues the LHS, it did not detract from the driving experience.

The 3.5 Liter V-6 performed well, providing me with plenty of acceleration for passing. The car handled well, though I must admit that I-10 in Florida doesn't provide much of a challenge (the road is mostly straight and flat).

All in all, I am still well satisfied with the LHS, though I am finding it difficult to properly maintain the paint. I have already found one place where the paint has chipped, and there are several (very small) places where bugs and road grime has spoiled the Stone White color, in spite of my best efforts to keep it clean. A new coat of wax will be my weekend project.
  • chiefperchiefper Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone who choose a LHS over a 300M Or visa-versa? If so I am curious to why. I am a GM and Japan Co buyer who is coming over to Chrysler for the first time. I really like the styling and price. I still have to be convinced about Chrysler's reputation. I hope I made a good choice. Any comments. Thanks.
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I like the styling of the 300M over the LHS, but the trunk, while sizable, is smaller and less accessible than the LHS, which was a major factor for me, that led me to buy an LHS rather than a 300M. I had an Aurora and, even though the volume is comparable to a Seville, the trunk opening is very restrictive and was a major drawback. The 300M trunk opening is much the same. In addition, the LHS trunk is larger. There is a little more rear leg room in the LHS. The 300 now lists for about $1000 more than the LHS, but I suspect the 300 will be worth that much more on resale after 2-4 years. I tried but didn't like the AutoStick, so that wasn't a factor, and, while I would have liked the unrestricted speed and better handling of the Performance Handling Group, I wanted a comfortable ride even more. There's no doubt the 300M is a "sexier" car and will turn more heads, but for everyday use, I chose the LHS. Since I only have about 1800 miles on it, I can't comment on reliability, but I can say it was delivered in perfect condition and I haven't yet found anything to complain about. I'm not concerned about depreciation because I'm leasing. Have you tried looking at the Chrysler site?

http://www2.chryslercars.com/
  • jbrophy2jbrophy2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, thought some of you may be interested in a few thoughts on the LHS - this forum was very helpful in finalizing my decision to purchase one last summer. I've had mine since Jul 99 - and just went over 4K miles. Here are just a few thoughts - for ease, I've attach a subjective grade for each category:

- Overall Ownership Experience: Grade B+. So far, so good. I'm a veteran Toyota owner so my expections in a vehicle are fairly high, and as a result, there have been a few quality lapses that I've found that wouldn't pass muster in any Toyota - but so far, no problems. This is the first new American car I've owned in 10 years and I can say the improvement in overall quality is quite noticeable.

- Styling: A+. Why Chrysler doesn't market this car's styling is beyond me - its absolutely gorgeous. In fact, it seems Chrysler lacks a marketing plan for this car at all - surprising given the very effective 300M historical campaign. Jurgen/Bob, roll out the 97 experimental Chrysler LHS concept car side-by-side with the current car - let the car's styling speak for itself.

- Overall quality: C+. Again, my frame of reference is a Toyota. For those that haven't read the Dec 98 road test of the LHS in Car and Driver - I found that very accurate - many of the small quality detractors they found showed up in my car too. First, all the things I've found were "beneath the service" - example - look under the rear fender wells - if your car is like mine you'll see a large amount of casting flash around the inner edges - either my car's unique or the manufacturing process doesn't even take the time to file them off - cheap and not something expected in a $30K car. Poke around the inside and see if the headliner doesn't meet up in the passenger side rear - leaving the rear window heating elements exposed. Again, small things that aren't overtly obvious but raise questions about other things "you can't see". I may be a little too critical here but can't get around fact that these things wouldn't be found on a $14K Corolla.

- Engine: A. Great power, especialy in the upper RPM ranges. Would like a little more low end torque but its more than adequate. Nice exhaust note - deep bass rumble.

- Transmission: C. Not near as smooth shifting as a Toyota or GM auto. Mine has the problem reported in this forum before - slight hesitation when you get on the gas after slowing -like at a "Yield" sign. Not a big problem, just detracts from the "refinement" of the car.

- Mileage: A. Took my engine about 15K to really loosen up but now get 19.3 in the city and 31 on the highway - great for such a large car.

- Interior: A. Amazing amount of room - I'm 6'6" and can sit in the back seat even with the front seat adjusted all the way back. White gauges are unique and very attractive. Leather is of very good quality. I have the base stereo and its more than adequate. Only turnoff for me were the floor mats - why Chrysler put such cheap mats in a $30K car is beyond me.

- Ride: A+. Superb - very supple yet not sloppy - more "Jaguar" than any other American car I've driven. Note the Dec 98 C&D article which compared LHS and 300M handling - the LHS turned a higher number on the skidpad than the base suspension 300M.

Hope this helps those of you pondering an LHS. Please don't take my comments above too harshly, but as folks in this topic did for me last summer, wanted to give an objective, "non-sugar coated" opinion. I'm a big fan of this car (and the 300M) - they're by far the best sedans made by an American (guess I should say joint German-American) car company today. Good luck to all of you choosing an LHS.
  • daffindaffin Member Posts: 30
    I provided my initial impressions in post

Ultimately, my decision in favor of the LHS was made due to:

-The LHS has a larger trunk.
    -The LHS has more room for the rear passengers.
    -The AutoStick feature on the 300M seemed "gimmicky."
    -The LHS had better incentives (i.e., it cost less).
    -The Performance Handling Group for the 300M would not provide a measurable advantage because I live in Florida (where the roads are mostly straight and flat).
    -The LHS is cheaper to insure (I think).

I hope this helps!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    I chose the 300M over the beautiful LHS for (among others) size reasons also. For my purposes, the trunk and interior of the car are much more than adequate. The LH series are big cars, the 300M being Chryslers attempt at a 5 meter (European) spec. I wanted a tighter exterior package, the 300M being the shortest LH at about 198". Which ain't small.
    I prefer the styling of the 300M and the split folding rear seat was also a selling point.
    Great car, no problems at 4100 miles. I bought the 300 at invoice with 0% financing, no other incentives at the time I purchased. I like the Autostick, but wasn't really a factor in the buying decision.
    Unfortunately, while a beautiful design, I think the LHS looks too much like the Concorde which may be hurting its sales. 300M is much more distinctive.....

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• charlesfcharlesf Member Posts: 28
    My wife has a 2000 model 300m with 3,000 miles on it. It is a great car!! It was her choice to buy the 300 since it was going to be her car. If it had been up to me I would have bought the LHS. What I don't like about the 300 is what all the people who have a 300 do like, that is the rear. I prefer the the looks of the rear of the LHS. We don't use the autostick so that is a mute point with us. We have not had a reason to put the back seats down but that might be a nice feature if we ever need to.
    They are both nice cars and I think it comes down to personal choice. We drove the Intrepid, Concorde, LHS and 300 before she decided on the 300.
  • pawpawokeefepawpawokeefe Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a new 1999 Chrysler LHS today and resisted the attempt to purchase the extended warranty offered by the dealership. Has anyone here had any experience with extended warranties and are they really worth the investment?

I'm well aware that it's a matter of personal preference whether to buy extra security or not for my new purchase. However, I only average about 9,000 miles a month and I'm really curious what others may think about the additional expense of added warranties.
    I just purchased a new 1999 Chrysler LHS today and resisted the attempt to purchase the extended warranty offered by the dealership. Has anyone here had any experience with extended warranties and are they really worth the investment?

I'm well aware that it's a matter of personal preference whether to buy extra security or not for my new purchase. However, I only average about 9,000 miles a month and I'm really curious what others may think about the additional expense of added warranties.
    Here's the URL to get the Chrysler Extended Warranty MSRP. They have them for different time periods, miles and deductible, and apparently the cost is related to where you live, because they ask for your ZIP code.

http://www.servicecontracts.chrysler.com/fs_service_contracts.html

I've had several extended warranties, lost a few bucks on one, broke even on another (paid about what I collected in covered repairs), and saved about $9000 on a new engine covered by the third. I would not buy anything other than an OEM extended warranty, but you'll get an argument on both sides of that issue. There are Chrysler dealers with Net sites that sell warranties for 75% of list.
    Thanks for the information and the URL for Chryslers Service contracts. Of course that brought up another question and a little more research on my part.

Seeing that Chryslers extended warranties are quoted as MSRP I'm wondering if that price is negotiable. Well, it doesn't hurt to make a few phone calls. I'll check and see.
    The price is usually negotiable with dealers because you can buy them from any Chrysler dealer, whether or not you bought the car there. To a dealer you didn't by the car from, any profit is found money. As I said, you can easily get 25% off from dealers on the Net, so that ought to be your starting point in discussions with local dealers.
  • robin354robin354 Member Posts: 21
    Can you set up leasing? what types of rates, payments, etc are available? Can you order specific colors - ie blue steel with camel interior. How is paperwork completed and how does the car get delivered?
  • fprincefprince Member Posts: 2
    Had my 99 LHS 15 months (21,000 miles)now and the only problem I have had is the power window motor on the drivers side. Waiting for the others to go.... Overall have been very pleased with this car. Would certainly recommend a 2000 to anyone. Last car was a 94 LHS. I had some problems with that car, but nothing like what many people have reported.
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    Consumer reports for the 2000 cars came out. I haven't seen it yet. Can someone tell me if the car is now reccomended and what's the letter grade for the reliablity according to the consmer reports.
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    Consumer Reports just came out for the 2000 cars. Can someone tell me if the Chrysler LHS is reccomended and what's the letter grade for the 2000 model reliability.
  • rbeeberbeebe Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a '99 LHS from dealer stock. The car had 50 miles on the odometer when I drove it home. It now has 950 and is leaking differential fluid. I took it to the dealer when first noticed (2nd week of ownership), and they claimed to have fixed it by tightening bolts. I noticed it leaking again today and will take it back to the dealer tomorrow, 11/26. Also there is excessive wind noise coming from driver-passenger windows near speaker area. Anyone else experience these problems? If so, advise as to remedy please.
    I don't think CR has yet issued their annual auto report, which usually comes out in April. The December issue has nothing on cars.
  • jeffewjeffew Member Posts: 8
    I never had those particular problems with my beloved Intrepid, but I'm sure there is someone who has. You can be assured that your dealer will have the standard statement. "thats the first time I've heard of that problem". The Chryco guys are programmed with that message. I'm sure they even talk it in their sleep.

Question:
    What does LHS stand for?
    What does DC call their road side assistance?
    How do you pronounce Daimler Chrysler in German?
    Regarding the third question, my nephew, who works for Mercedes-Benz and, therefore, DC, pronounces the first syllable of Daimler as "dime," like a ten cent coin.
  • jeffewjeffew Member Posts: 8
    Just simpley pronounced dime ler, the Chrysler part is silent
  • evilpancakewomevilpancakewom Member Posts: 35
    I think this car looks awesome! I would like a Wallpaper picture for my computer does anyone know where I can get one?
    Thanks in advance.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    evilpancakewom-

IF you had a MAC, it would be very easy. All you would have to do is find a pic of the car you want, copy it and open the appearance menu, click on screen and paste it there. Voila- Chrysler screen!

fastdriver
    Try www.chryslercars.com Go into the LHS section and right click on a pic you like then choose "set picture as wallpaper." http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/newmodels2000/chrysler_lhs_2000_lg.jpg and http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/newmodels1999/Chry_LHS_99_lg.jpg are a couple of nice pics too.
    The two Car Connection photos made it easy to compare the Y2K chrome window trim to the '99 black trim. It's a matter of taste, but the Y2K is growing on me, although I didn't like it at first.
  • rbeeberbeebe Member Posts: 3
    Took the car back to the dealer (2nd time) for repair. Service manager called same day and said that problem stemmed from differential fluid escaping out the vent tube. Somehow, he said, it's building up pressure. I've never heard of a differential vent tube, but most of my other cars have been rear-wheel drive automatics (sealed differential), or a front-wheel drive Saab w/manual transmission. Am I getting what may become the typical dealer runaround?
  • mugwump2mugwump2 Member Posts: 33
    All differentials are vented, otherwise heat would expand the juice and contained air and blow out the seals. Chrysler has a TSB on this issue that lengthens the line. There was a production change or so I was told.
  • oberfieldwebeloberfieldwebel Member Posts: 52
    I purchsed a new 1999 LHS from a local dealer here in Florida. The car looked and drove great, but when I looked under it the next day I was shocked to find the exhaust system and all unpainted steel rusted. This is pitted rust not just a stain. The dealer advised that they would replace the exhaust system and "clean up" the rust. I worried that there will future rust problems. Has anyone seen this condition on a new Chrysler; is it typical? I traded an eight year old explorer in on the LHS, it was rust free. How do these vehicles survive the salt on roads in the north?
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    I own a Intrepid 98,when my car had 2,500 miles rear end muffler began showing,two rust signs.
    I showed it to the service manager, of my dealer.he answered me,we have to wait more ,because Chrysler will not change it now.
    So 3 months later,I was back to the dealer,with two little holes already on my muffler,besides an ongoing noise in the rear suspension.

The dealer called me back to tell me Chrysler refused to give a Warranty,on the muffler,and the rear struts!!

So I called Chrysler,and after talking with 4 different people,they finally agreed to replace those parts,this was three weeks ago.When I picked up my car after one week in the shop I got a new muffler,and just ONE strut replaced,I asked why,they said they made a mistake and just ordered ONE strut.
    I drove the car 10 miles and the noise was still there,the car is back at the dealer,(already two weeks),and they can´t find the problem,they don´t know where the noise is coming from.
    I talked to Chrysler,and they said,Sir. you have to let us work with your car,when we will have something we will call you,I asked at least for a loaner,NOP!,if you want they said to me you can sue us.

What a Company?,is Chrysler a 5 star Company?

How can they ask the dealers to be a 5 star dealer?,if the Company is junk!!
    What is for them CUSTOMER ONE????
    Copperhead 1;
    Why, if Chrysler is such a "junk" company are you wanting to buy a 2001 Cirrus and why is your dream car a Prowler? Do you believe that the rust problems are limited to the your Intrepid and my LHS? Has anyone else out there had rust problems with their Chrysler products?
    I never thought of this,of course with my problems now,I would not like to buy a Chrysler again.
    I have to wait now and see how all this will end,and then I´ll see what to do,today I got another call from the dealer telling me he is going to change the struts again,and offered me the best attention to my car.
  • boilerpeteboilerpete Member Posts: 18
    I have a 1995 LHS with 51000 mi and it seems to be in good shape underneath. Living and driving in NW Indiana has to be a good test of rust resistance. I would like a new LHS but find that the new ones as well as the old ones like mine don't seem to have the driver leg room of a Buick LeSabre or Park Avenue. Is there a way to remount the seat back farther to get more travel back?? Seems like forward travel would accommodate an Elf and back seat leg room is plentiful. Torn between looks of LHS and features and reliability of Buick. Any comments??
    I would also like to know if there is any way to get a few inches more legroom for the LHS driver. I'm 6'5" and the seat is OK but not good for me. Can or will Chrysler do anything about adjusting the seat, I haven't asked yet.
  • paco7paco7 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 99 LHS in Sept. and recently completed a 6036 mile trip
    from SW Florida to Arizona. While most of our
    driving was on interstates, we did take alot of state roads while visiting Carlsbad Caverns,
    the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Hoover Dam and Las Vegas, Etc. The Lhs performed well under all conditions and not once did we feel the engine or transmission lacked in performance.

We used 89 Octane gas and averaged 25.5 MPG for the entire trip with speeds in excess of 70MPH where permitted, in fact, NM and AZ allow 75 MPH. In one stetch from Gallup, NM to Wichita Falls,Tx we averaged 30.3MPH. The cruise control was flawless whether climbing or descending steep hills.

The car tracked well, even
    in 30 to 35 mph cross winds and 18 wheelers never bothered it. We felt no need for a sport suspension as in the 300.

The climate control is the best we ever had, just set the desired temp and forget it, whether it was 18 degrees or 95 outside,
    it maintained the desired temp. BUT, DC should add a filter to the system.

THe LHS is very roomy and comfortable, we traded in a Grand Marquis which is supposed to be a full sized car, there is no comparison in room, or handling.

We haven't experienced any
    problems yet, but wish DC
    would add:
    Cornering lamps
    Remote gas filler cap
    Valet key
    More padding on center console arm rest

And, since we live in Florida and put up with love bugs twice each year, please come up with an attractive deflector as opposed to a bra.
    I got the answer from my dealer on the driver seat location. Chrysler will not allow them to modify a new car. If I buy it and have the seat modified it voids the warranty on the power seat, memory, etc.
    I guess Chrysler wants me in a Buick. I think I will look closely at my 1995 seat to see if it can be modified since it surely is out of warranty.
  • sol3sol3 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1999 Altima last May 99. Yesterday the car will not start. I had to towed to the dealer. They told me that the car was flodded. It had gasoline all over the engine. They told me that they were not going to pay for the repairs, which is not right because the car has warranty for three years. At the end, they waived the charges and I was told that next time I was going to pay for everything they do to my car. I would like to know how dangerous it is what happend to the car, what should i do regarding Nissan, meaning complains, or if I should just get another car. Please help with this dilema because i am really frustrated.
    sol3-

WHY weren't they going to pay???? Look in the owner's manual and call Nissan to let them know about the problem with the car and the dealer!!! Then, if you get NO satisfaction, go to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov and REPORT this safety problem to them either on-line or by phone ASAP before you and your car catches on fire!

BTW- WHY did you post a Nissan question in a Chrysler topic??

fastdriver
    The Altima topic is directly above this topic in the Sedans list.
  • lindarellalindarella Member Posts: 3
    A friend of mine told me he had heard on the radio that the LHS airbags were very bad in terms of the speed in which they deployed. This is very distressing to me, as I was planning to buy an LHS in the next few months. I looked at the data for safety on Edmunds' and it just says "Not tested".
    Does anyone have any more information on this?
    Don´t pay to much attention to the press,because that car was approved by NHTSA before it reached the market,there is no such problem,just think for a moment,if the "LH" cars were having such a big problem,NHTSA,and Daimler Chrysler would already made a recall,from what I know the tests that were made to the car were not made under real cicunstances,so it can never happen in the real world.

But you can always call NHTSA,and ask them if it is true.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Just make sure your seatbelts are fastened properly and you drive intelligently and all should be well.

Hey, planes, trains, busses and many other vehicles don't have airbags. Do you avoid them?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• mechanmechan Member Posts: 7
    Official press release from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:

http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releases/1999/pr120899.htm
    There was talk here earlier that the IIHS uses a softer barrier than the government uses in its tests and that that "softness" delays ignition of the airbags. Chrysler says, supposedly, that it intentionally delays impact to prevent "parking lot" impacts from setting off the bags. I don't buy that, however, because hitting the "softer" barrier is more like a real automobile in a crash. I own an LHS and was very unhappy to read of the Insurance Institutes findings. If they can be reproduced by the Gov't, there should be a mandatory recall.
    I just completed removing the seat from my 1995 LHS and find that it would be one big undertaking to change the brackets to move the seat back. The front bracket bolts against a cross member in the floor pan. The rear bracket just bolts to the floor but the hole would have to move back if the seat were moved back. Is there a place on the internet that a consumer like me can complain directly to Chrysler??? For having such a great looking car I can't imagine the engineer who made the seat with so much forward travel that at the end there is no way the smallest person could fit between the seat and the steering wheel. Seems like the way to fix the problem is to rework the travel by repositioning the two screws that control the forward/reverse travel.
    boilerpete-

You can try this site. While it's Chrysler's media site, if you write to enough people in this list, SOMEONE will see to it that your message gets sent to somebody who might be able to address your concerns. Don't hold your breath, but someone just might give you a call. It worked for me.
    http://www.media.daimlerchrysler.com/contact/prcontacts_e.htm#U.S. Contacts

Good luck.

fastdriver
    Not sure if the entire address came through- after the htm# is U.S. Contacts

I'll try to paste it again- http://www.media.daimlerchrysler.com/contact/prcontacts_e.htm#U.S. Contacts

fastdriver