Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 626

Comments

• cprenticecprentice Member Posts: 4
    I have been looking for a car 9 months and finally ready to settle on a 2001 Mazda 626 LX. It seems to be a great car and I got the dealer down to $13,990 plus freight. Is this a good price and what do you all think of the 2001. The only other Mazda I have owned was a 1974 Mazda RX-4 (and it was a great little car). I would appreciate any thoughts..BTW the Mazda is a 5 spee., based on alot of the posts I have seen I am staying away from the automatic. Thanks

Chris
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    The '01s are mostly identical to the '00s - oh, yeah, EZ-Cool glass is standard now - so you should be at least as thrilled with the '01 as I am with the '00, not to mention about two seconds faster from zero to sixty. :)

Including incentives and freight, I paid about $15,300 for an LX automatic last year. Figuring $480 for freight and $800 for the automatic, you did at least as well as I did.
  • cprenticecprentice Member Posts: 4
    It is a new 4cyl 5 speed (80 miles). I love the ride and the handling...seems a tad under powered but perfect otherwise....thanks

Chris
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    For the money spent....I'm having a Blast with
    our Doubleought Freeport. With fuel approaching
    $2 a gallon our 4cyl was a very wise move.With
    15500mls our last tank was 29mpg,mixed urban+
    city. We're looking forward to the 6digit mileage
    club some day! ThumbsUp
  • johnny01johnny01 Member Posts: 8
    Own a 97626LX4cyl-auto. As a precautionary measure, had an aux xmissn oil cooler with an in-line filter installed last yr. No problems so far at 59k. My biggest complaint is that the roof line is too low. Hard to get in and out. What else? The trunk, although decent size, has a small opening which I hate.
    Some people feel the 4 cyl is underpowered. I say you can counter act for that by driving aggressively. Aggressive, albeit safe driving can make up for lack of horsepwr. Where I live (WA), most people are conservative drivers. Maybe if I lived in SoCal I would need about 20 more HP. That's all I got to say.
    Yeah, it scrapes at my bald spot too. I'll live.

People drive insanely here in Oklahoma, but I get by. In fact, I usually get past. :)
  • johnlwjohnlw Member Posts: 28
    I am taking the wife's '98 4cyl. auto in for its' 30,000 mile service, and the dealer says it is $495! That is a lot of $$$$$.

Does this sound right? Have any of you gotten better pricing? Thanks.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Be careful! 30k services vary from shop to shop. The only way to compare is to get a list of what your dealer is going to do for $500. I can bet any amount that they do more than is reccomended in your owner's manual.

:)
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Yeah... I talked to my trusty service advisor about the 30k mile service. He didn't recommend it since it does things like transmission fluid changes, radiator flushes, engine diagnostic, ignition wire change, air filter, spark plugs, brake/clutch fluid changes, etc. Except for the air filter and spark plugs, all those services are too early for a 30k mile vehicle. He said 60k would probably be better, but even that's soon for some of the services. However, these services certainly cannot hurt. I just went ahead and spent $10 on a new air filter and spark plugs and put them in myself, saving me $490!!
  • johnlwjohnlw Member Posts: 28
    Since it is still under warranty for a couple of months, and since I already had a new (rebuilt) transmission put in under warranty, and since my wife found a 15% coupon ($75) I am going to do it this time.

Thanks.
    Runs $430 out here in the flyover zone.

I'm one of those people who changes tranny fluid and green coolant every two years (although my current 626 has the orange stuff), but then that's just me.
  • tturedraider1tturedraider1 Member Posts: 2
    Went to visit my dad for Father's Day and while there, had to move his 626. I was amazed to see that the car had 499,689 miles on it. Does anyone have a Mazda with more miles? I'm just curious!
    What year is this 626? (The highest mileage I'd heard of up until now was about 350k.)
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    Be grateful your dealer is willing to be agressive in his service checkups. My son's service guy just followed the regular schedule on the Tranny fluid -- inspect. Well what was fine at 30,000 is not fine at 60,000. Based on his experience I would immediately flush out the fluid on your transmission, and put in sythetic and add lubegard. see www.lubegard.com.

At least give your tranny a fighting chance. I now have lubeguard in a transmission that was damaged in a wreck and it smoothed it right out. I have gone 40,000 since then. Replacing other fluids like brake and power steering also is a cheap way to avoid expensive repairs later on.

I learned the hard expensive way that it is much better to spend some money on maintenence, rather than a full repair later.
  • tturedraider1tturedraider1 Member Posts: 2
    Windowphobe6 - The 626 is a 1987... and it has now passed the 1/2 a million mile mark. I wonder what kind of trade in value it has??? Maybe Mazda would like to buy it!
    No doubt it would bring only a pittance from a dealership, but I'm pretty sure Mazda USA would like to hear about it, if only because they're weary of hearing about tranny failures on '94s and could stand some good news for once.

At the very least, the owner should write it up for My Mazda, or whatever they're calling that page these days.
  • cali01cali01 Member Posts: 1
    Considering buying an 626 LX hatchback 134k miles. Great interior and appearance. Any probs with this make and year?
    The last of the second generation, they're mostly pretty nice, although I'm leery of the automatic - this was Mazda's first G4A-EL 4-speed, and it was totally revamped for 1988, so if you need repairs, you'll have to come up with a whole bunch of '87-only parts. The sticks are fine. The engine is a nicely square 2.0 with fuel injection, though I believe it predates HLAs, in which case you can expect an occasional valve adjustment (every three years or so).
  • dutchman53dutchman53 Member Posts: 1
    My brandnew (june 2001) Mazda 626 1.8i hesitates.
    Milage: 1500miles/2300km
    It slightly accellerates end deacellerates.
    As if my foot is nervously trembling on the gas pedal.
    Several MAZDA dealers told me:
    all new injection cars have it,
    and they can't do anything about it.
    Will be over after 15000km.
    Anyone similar experience?
    Does it really get over? When?

Pls mail to: we4u@home.nl
    Unfortunately, most of us on this board are in North America and do not have the 1.8 like the European 626. I have not heard of the same issue on the 2.0L.

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Update on my valve ticking - I changed the oil last week and it did quiet down a bit. The old oil was pretty dark - worst I had ever let it get, actually.

I went with Dino 10w30 and the valve tapping is less noticeable. I had used 10w40 last time (not much different, really). It's summer so I didn't want to go with 5w20.

-juice
  • jmnygaardjmnygaard Member Posts: 48
    I'm driving an '87 626 with 136,000 miles on it. I love this car, but need something with 4 doors and air bags, etc., now that I'm a mom. When I bought this car, everyone else was talking about the Camry and Accord. It seems it's still that way. Does any one have an '01 626? (I want a standard.) Any problems? How does it compare to the Camry and Accord? When I bought the 626, I thought I got more for my money than the other two offered.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    (Paging Mr Kubrick...)

cprentice mentioned having a 2001 626, and there are a couple of us with the very-much-similar-but-slightly-older 2000 model.
  • tdreotdreo Member Posts: 17
    Joyce,

I bought a 2001 LX 4 cylinder automatic in February. This is my fourth Mazda and I like the car. I have had only a few minor problems with it. The only complaint is that I get an oil smell sometimes. The dealer did some "repairs" to correct the problem but it's still there. It's going back (again) the week after next for this problem. You know, if there is a car on the lot with even one problem I'll be the guy who picks it!
    A few small things that I don't like, there is no power lock switch on the passenger control panel, the clock is part of the CD player and there is no dash indicator for the auto transmission gear. Since you want a manual the last item won't be a issue for you.
    As for the Camry or Accord, I like the Camry although you'll pay a bunch more to get the same equipment. The Accord is a different story, I sold my '92 to get the 626. I had a bunch of trouble with it and this stopped me from considering a Honda again. Hope I didn't ramble too much!

Tony
    Thanks, Tony!
    Joyce
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    I have a new 2001 626 v6 auto with the 16 inch wheel upgrade. No problems except creaky front windows, not a big deal to me. Gas mileage is as indicated at this point (4000 miles) Handling and bracking is excellent. With it's standard tires it is not that good in snow, also tends to hydro in severe rain. Acceleration and highway passing is very good. Fit and finish is also excellent. I traded a 2001 Tribute, a real crap car, after 5000 miles. I got tired of running back and forth to the dealer for various problems. Have yet to go back to the dealer. It is certainly better then my last accord, a 1998 ex model. The only complaint I have is that the riding position seems to be lower then most cars on the highway, very tough to get use to after coming from a so called "SUV".
    This has been mentioned a couple of times before, and since I've not noticed any particular tendency to do this in my car, which was actually pretty darn good in what snow we had last winter (maximum depth maybe five inches through the worst drifts), I'm wondering if maybe I've got different tires from the rest of you - Bridgestone Turanza EL41, P205/60R15 90H in my case - or if I've simply managed to avoid the worst-case scenarios up to now.

(Potential side issue: I run 34/30 on tire pressure, slightly above Mazda's recommendation.)
  • rponsetirponseti Member Posts: 35
    I have '99 626 4cyl. automatic. It's been great so far. (58k miles) I was wonder if anyone knows of place, besides the dealer, to get factory floor mats. You know, the ones with MAZDA imprinted on them. Just looking to save a few bucks if possible. Thanks.
  • tdreotdreo Member Posts: 17
    Try:

www.roebuckmazda.com

Look under parts.

They sell mail order and have the 626 mat set for about $55.

Tony

Tony
    I tried their site and the page loaded, but I wasn't able to click on anything. None of the links would work. Guess I'll try again later. Thanks for the info!

Richie
    try www.mazdastuff.com

• danmcgurgandanmcgurgan Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I continually hear a grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel either when the car is not in motion or in motion. Anyone heard of this, and what should I tell the dealer to look for?

Thanks

Dan
    Sounds like what you get when you are low on fluid. If that's not it, it's probably the pump.

They've since metamorphosed into Trussville Mazda, and they may not have fixed every last link on their Web site yet.
  • dado1dado1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a hunter green '94 LX V6 automatic and I love the way it drives. It has 150K miles on it now and it is still quite peppy though not as much as it used to be.

A/C compressor is gone and clicking away like mad when the AC is turned on and you can't drive highway speeds when it is hot out with the A/C on or the car will over heat. Driver's side window jams on the way up and down and needs manual assistance, as does the drivers side rear window.
    Rear suspension is out of whack so a decent alignment is impossible and tires are chewed through in no time (Eagle GT 2's expensive). OK so those are the problems and if anyone has any cheap fixes let me know as the dealer wants $350 for the window regulator replacement and $700 for the AC and another $700 for the rear suspension all of which I thought were way too expensive and as this is the family's back up car (or at least will be when our 2002 Odyssey arrives) I didn't bother getting them done.

OK despite the above and the increasingly expensive service visits I really like this car and the way it handles. I have maintained it very well but have driven it really hard and it has served me very well and is comfortable despite being 6'4" and 240lbs.

Basically it has really spoiled me. I just test drove a Volvo T-5 and found it so lacking in the low end torque compared to what I have been used to and even tried a BMW 528i wagon and while that was peppy the connection with the road wasn't as good as I feel with the Mazda nor was the visibility. Interior driver space was also an issue.

Perhaps I have been driving the Mazda for too long and everything else is going to feel strange and lacking in some way.

Does anyone have any cheap fixes for the above problems and as this is now my car to play with does anyone know of any after market mods like a chip, super charger, exhaust, upgraded brakes, sport suspension kit, etc.

I saw that CR has this down as one of the cars to avoid, makes me doubt them as other than the issues mentioned above the engine in this car has been really great and trouble free (02 senors did get replaced).

FWIW I have had no problems with the fuel system to date and have always used 93 octane. I absolutely noticed a difference in performance the one time that I tried a few tanks of 87 and 89.
    Most serious speed goodies are pitched at the Probe/MX-6 sisters rather than at the 626, but they're out there. The Yahoo! 626 club (registration with Yahoo! but no fee required) is a hotbed of discussion of such things.

Over on the 626 topic in Maintenance & Repair, you can hear from lots of grieving owners of '94 models.

There is a detonation sensor in the V6 which permits the use of lower octanes, but, as noted, at a price in performance.

I'm having trouble imagining what sort of rear-suspension ills would run up a $700 tab, unless it includes replacing four links and both struts.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Is the dealership the only place you've gotten an estimate from? $700 for AC seems extreme to me (as well as the suspension, as windowphobe mentioned). Go to the junkyard and get that window regulator. This is your car to mess with, so don't be afraid to pull it apart, I say. (well, I'm not talking about anything vital here - just the door or wherever the heck that regulator is.)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I have a '99 626 LX 4cyl. And I'm getting right around 28mpg with about 90% of that highway driving. I have an hour commute each way and it's pretty smooth sailing, not much traffic. Was wondering if this was about the average. I do drive between 75-80mph. I know that doesn't help. Anyone getting better than that?
    hmmm... i would have expected better. do you have a stick or auto. I don't know what others get with the 4-cyl, but I get 25mpg with the 6-cyl and automatic (also an hour commute each way with no traffic). If 28 is normal in the 4, I'm glad I didn't sacrifice the six-cyl in the name of mileage.

Also, what grade gas you using? I use regular and, supposedly, would get even better mileage with higher grade.

How many miles are on the car? My '99 definitely got better over time. That 25 number didn't even start happening until I got the odometer over 30K miles or so.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I have a '99 626 LX 4cyl. And I'm getting right around 28mpg with about 90% of that highway driving. I have an hour commute each way and it's pretty smooth sailing, not much traffic. Was wondering if this was about the average. I do drive between 75-80mph. I know that doesn't help. Anyone getting better than that?
    It's an auto with 58k miles. I also use regular gas. I guess that's about as good as I'm going to get. Just changed the spark plugs and airfilter and not much improvement. Thanks for responding.
    I'm also surprised you don't get better mileage. My '87 (4 cyl, man.) with 136,000 miles gets 30mpg or better. This is mainly highway driving, speeds of 70-75mph, 2000 ft. to sea level and back nearly every day. Do look for the mileage to improve will age.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • mazdafan1mazdafan1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

First let me mention to all that your forum has been extremely helpful, thanks! MY question: I have the opportunity to purchase a one owner 2000 Mazda 626 ES V6 automatic with 7200 miles (being sold since unexpected child on the way). It has moonroof, Bose system (with single CD disc slot, leather and the seats have SRS Airbag on them so I assume side airbags. Not sure yet if it has ABS or traction control (wife has to ask her husband who is traveling. For all intent and purposes the car is mint, no faults. The firm price is (non-negotiable) is $16,400 . I would appreciate your feedback on it's value and asking price and any suggestions one may have. Thanks in advance!
    Well, according to the Edmunds pricing, that looks to be about $18K for a certified pre-owned from a dealer. figure that would be about $17K with some haggling. Considering that, $16,400 seems a little high.

Best thing to do is go over to the Real-World Values board and ask Bill and Terry to give you the trade-in and private sale prices on the car. ABS and traction control will make a difference, but probably not too significant.

• jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    If the front seats have the SRS label on their sides, then the vehicle is also equipped with ABS and traction control. Those three options are all bundled together in a single package and cannot be had seperately.

The price seems fairly reasonable to me. Edmunds TMV pricing shows an average for a certain area. The question is... how much do you value the vehicle? A brand new 2001 model with the equivalent equipment can be had for about $22,500 with some serious negotiating. This vehicle only has 7,200 miles on it and you are saving over $6,000. Ask yourself... what else can you buy for $16,400? Certainly not a new car as nice as this. You can find a used car for this much, but how often do you run across one with mileage this low? I say go for it!
  • bsanchez21bsanchez21 Member Posts: 1
    We have the chance to purchase a 2000 Mazda 626 ES with 6700 miles from a dealer(leased vehicle - one owner - a little old lady) for $16,450 out the door.) We've also been looking at 2001 LX's at Carmax for $16,600 (out the door) with about 10K miles. I like the leather seats in the ES, but my husband thinks we should buy the newer vehicle. Any feedback on the different models or which one you think is a better deal? Thanks for any input!
    I would tell the Mazda dealer that you can get a 2001 Camry for ony $150 more than he's offering you the 626 for , and see if he doesn't come down on the price. I'm looking at an ad in the Sunday paper here for a "new" 2000 ES 6cyl with leather, moonroof, Bose CD changer, alloy wheels, all power for $16,977, so the used ES you're being offered seems a little bit over priced.

Also, you need to consider how long you plan to keep the car. If you want to sell it in a few years, the Camry, even with more miles, will probably be worth more.

I'm really love my 626, but if the Mazda dealer doesn't come down in price, the Camry might be the better deal.