Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• dkowasicdkowasic Member Posts: 13
    I love the resale prices of the Taurus. I had a new 1999 300m and put 34k miles on it in a year... Lost my but and would have lost more if I didn't cut and run. It was a great car, but being in outside sales also, it was a bad business decision to buy a new car. Luckily I was able to get out of it with the resources that I had and bought a 1997 Taurus I/ 60k miles on it for $6,900.00 cash. Now its a money making machine. Hahaha...It runs great and has all the power options that I need. I upgraded the stereo though. No more new cars for me, It just doesn't make sense when I consistantly rack up 30k+ miles a year.
  • dkowasicdkowasic Member Posts: 13
    but......butt

It's late in Va.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Unless you keep the car until it dies!
  • steves24vsteves24v Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the comments dkowasik and ezaircon4jc. This year I am taking operating costs and depreciation on the Taurus. I get no reimbursment from my employer for auto expenses. Because of miles I got jacked in the past by leasing cars and I could not write the depreciation off. Don't get me wrong, I do like my Taurus. Butt..I mean but..the Honda Accord EX-V6 w/leather drove and felt so nice. Yes the 4 cyl. lower-end Accords felt much cheaper than the 2000 Taurus and there is no comparison with the cheap, small civic.
  • sdysdy Member Posts: 2
    You were correct about the window switch lights and the window lock-out. Funny, my '97 Ford Explorer doesn't do that. I wonder why the service guys couldn't figure that one out.
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    I bought my SEL in June and have had no problems at all. I was just sitting at a light yesterday and looking at my dash and door plastic. I couldn't believe how NICE and leather-like both are compared to the CLOTH and cheap PLASTIC that was in a Honda that I just got out of. I don't know what your criteria is for good looking plastic. I ride to and from work in a different car each time (It's called "slugging" in Wash. area.) and therefore, have a chance to see many different car interiors. These new Taususes have it all over the others. And there is NO comparison between the interior space. Taurus wins again. Extremely roomy.

As far as resale goes - well, a Taurus lasts so long that one doesn't have to worry about dumping it as often as a brand X model. Just do the maintenance and keep it clean. It has worked for me all of my life.
  • plapintaplapinta Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering a 2001 SEL model. I've been quoted 3% over invoice from a local NJ dealer. Can I get it cheaper through the different buying services?

Also, any opinions on bucket seats vs the bench?

Thanks
    Paul
  • hockey2hockey2 Member Posts: 12
    I have one 97 Taurus with leather moon roof CD etc.
    I just bought a 99 SE moon roof center console
    no CD though. How tough is it to put one yourself?
    Is the wiring already in place? Do I need a special harness and can I mount it in the car and not in the trunk?

I love the 97 got it used 23k have 58 on it now no problems.

The 99 has 13k and is the closest to a new car I have had
    Try www.crutchfield.com They have a CD that will work (with their adapter) if your head unit has the CD controls.
    Yes it has the controls.
    Thanks.
  • steves24vsteves24v Member Posts: 12
    The Taurus is roomy..and also very comfortable. The tolerances are obviously much tighter in the Accord..more of a cab forward design..especially on the passenger side. How do you like the Mach Stereo System in your SEL? I'm thinking about upgrading my SES and adding a CD Changer in the Trunk, however, the OEM has not come out yet with the matching face plate since this changed for 2000 Models.
  • ohio7ohio7 Member Posts: 67
    I'm a huge dinosaur! I'm way behind in the techno world so I had no use for the CD. Had a tape player put in, instead. Don't even use that except on long trips which I haven't done either. I only have 3200 miles since June. Drive it only 6 miles a day. I'll probably have this car until I die! DO enjoy all of the other ammenities, though.
  • newtaurusownernewtaurusowner Member Posts: 3
    It has been 1 year since I purchased my 2000 Taurus SEL. I have to say that once I got ALL the bugs out of the car (new transmission, catalytic converter, faulty brake light switch, imploded moon roof glass), it has been the most comfortable car that I have owned. I buy a car every 2-3 years... I have owned Mitsubishi's, Oldsmobile's, Chevy's, but I have to say that I have enjoyed this car the most. I am pretty sure that this car will be with me for a long while. I have the leather interior... COMFORTABLE. I have the MACH Stereo... GREAT SOUND. A smooth, comfortable drive.

I am looking into putting a dark tint on my windows (I have the Silver Taurus). Opinions?

I would like to add chrome wheels.... but my checkbook just does not allow it at this time. Opinions?
  • scottinscscottinsc Member Posts: 1
    Is it just F/L/M that has transmission woes?? Or does every manufacturer make crappy trannys??

You might try that tint with the silvery relfectiveness to it to match your paint. Just be considerate of those who follow you and don't limo the back glass.

Unless you live in a perfect world, don't buy the chrome wheels. You can buy replacement wheel covers. You can carefully touch-up painted wheels. But you can't stop from kicking yourself repeatedly the first time you scuff your expensive chrome wheels on a curb. Same goes for pearl/frost paint jobs.
    My car did not come with the cd Changer. Although the controls on the radio are there.
    I want to put one in the dealer quoted me $600 seems High?
    Has any one put one in themselves? I went to crutch field .com but did not find any thing.
    Can anyone give me advice?
  • poolguy1poolguy1 Member Posts: 9
    Just recently got interested in buying a Mercury Sable - can someone tell me is there any significant differences between the Sable and the Taurus other than the front and rear styling? Owned a 99 Sable, although it was okay for the money, it had a lot of road noise. Are the new ones any quieter or smoother riding?
    I believe Crutchfield has the CD changer. On page 33 of their Winter/Spring 2001 catalogue they have OEM changers. I called as I wanted to put one in my '96 Sable. They said that as long as the radio head unit (the radio is in the trunk) had the CD controls, theirs would work. You also need to purchase the cable. Their # is 1-800-955-3000. They have ALWAYS given me plenty of time even if I didn't buy anything.
    Michael
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    In Edmund's review they say in the 11th paragraph that the 3.0L Duratec now has a composite intake manifold. Composite is just a fancy word for plastic, isn't it? I know the 4.6L in Crown Vics have a plastic manifold, and some have said they can crack after 50k(+) miles due to heat stress, so I guess my question is did the 3.0L Duratec always have a composite manifold? Should there be any concern for it to crack down the road? My dad had a '96 Taurus with the Duratec and traded it in when it had close to 70k, and never had any trouble with the car... thanks for your input!
    My '96 Sable has the Duratech. I have 100k with no problems. The car runs and looks new. This is my 4th Sable, all bought new, and if it were'nt for me moving up the car scale, we would have an '00 or '01 Sable. I would've put dual exhaust on it, though.
  • minnesotaartminnesotaart Member Posts: 52
    I am new to this Town Hall, but I have a few things to say. I've owned lots of Tauri and a Sable. I have owned a 92 Taurus GL (3.0 still going strong with 178k), a 93 Taurus GL (3.8, so I had to replace the head gaskets when they went - sold it last year with 104k), a 95 Sable GS(3.0 with 104k - only had cooling system trouble - still own it), a 98 Taurus SE (Duratec 24V - no troubles yet with 48k although for some strange reason it seems to get 30 mpg on the highway) and a 2000 SEL with every option (Duratec 24V - zero defects with 14k - best new car I've ever owned). So, I speak from experience when I speak. In general, Taurus is great if you get a good one and really bad if you get a bad one. Got a bad one? Then get rid of it! Got a good one? It'll run forever! Keep it till you think it's ugly!

Now, as for the CD changer, I put one in my 98 SE which came with the controls inside but not the changer. If you don't know, the radio is really in the trunk (driver's side, behind the wheel well, under the carpet), the part inside the car is just the control unit. I bought the Ford factory unit for $329 over the Internet from a company called "Radios and More" located in Fayetteville, NY (www.radiosandmore.com). The transaction was smooth and fast - had it in just a few days and it arrived perfectly! Installation was a snap since it came with the factory wiring harness and everything else - just plugged it in and it worked! I did have to mount it in the trunk since that is where it was mounted in 98 by Ford (my 2000 has it in the center console which is way cool!). Do not be afraid to tackle this job yourself. If you can use a drill and a screwdriver, you can do this easily. I mounted the unit to the underside of the package shelf with two mounting brackets (you can also mount it in a vertical position to the trunk floor in the depression to the rear of the wheel well, but living in Minnesota, I didn't want to put any holes in the trunk floor - road salt!). Even though I am very anal about doing a thorough job, it only took me 3 hours start to finish (including vacuuming up the metal shavings from drilling). The unit works perfectly; just as if Ford had put it in! Just follow the directions that come with the unit and you can't miss. Another tip. I wanted to get extra CD cartridges for the unit (the units are identical in my 98 and my 2000, so I wanted a bunch of them). Ford wanted 75 bucks each! I found them at Best Buy for $12.50! They are model # MCD-MG55 and made by Aiwa. By the way, Aiwa is the company that makes the Ford CD changer unit.

I hope this helps!

minnesotaart
    Art Jacobson
    ArtJacobson@bigfoot.com
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    My 1995 GL has 181,000 miles and no major repairs not even the transmission. I replaced alternator at 135K and water pump/radiator at 172K. The rest is scheduled maintance. I ask my mechanic if I was lucky. He explained that my car was equipment with a "police package" which included heavy duty trans, SHO suspension and a modified 3.0 V6. Over the years has he has done all my maintence and said he was told this by Ford as he order new replacement parts. Can this be true? If so I would like to see if there is a version of this on 2001 Taurus. He said that he has seen other similar Taurus with this equipment exceed 400,000 miles. I am not sure if I should consider making a change.
    Thanks for the info. I love My 97 it has the cd in the trunk. The 99 I will put in the trunk as well.
    I was looking at crutch field's catalog . I will check out the "Radios and More" located in Fayetteville, NY (www.radiosandmore.com). People now.
    Thanks Again.
  • 456ttt456ttt Member Posts: 13
    My alarm goes off now and then for no reason, would anyone know how to disconnect it entirely ?
    No, I don't know how to do this, but after reading prior posts about bad door switches for the interior lights, maybe you should try replacing those switches first (since they are generally hooked into the alarm system) and leaving the alarm connected. Just a thought.
  • mictromictro Member Posts: 29
    I'm new to this section of the Townhall and I am hoping that everyone is as helpful as in the Pickup topics.

I have a 1993 Ford Taurus GL Sedan with the 3.8L V-6 (100,500 miles). Over the weekend, we experienced some severe engine trouble. It is either a blown head gasket or cracked engine block. I am interested in cutting my losses with this vehicle and just getting rid of it.

Does any one have any thoughts on what the vehicle is worth as is? The body and interior are in good shape. There are no other problems with the vehicle that I am aware of.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • nwerlenwerle Member Posts: 3
    The plate that holds the rear control arms is cracked along with the box beam it attaches to.

Anyone have idea how to fix less than the
    frame shop quote of $3000.

nlwerle@aol.com
    Mictro,

It's the head gaskets! The 3.8L Ford head gaskets have a better popping ratio than Orville Redenbacher!!! When mine on my '93 went (in 1998), it cost me $1,300 to have fixed at an independent shop. They did NOT use Ford parts when they repaired it and they said that they had never had one come back a second time. Car ran beautifully after that, so you might want to reconsider selling if you like the car. I ended up selling mine after my daughter hit the back end of a pickup with it (last spring)! The bumber was fine, but the fascia, headlights and hood were goners. Body shop estimate was $1,800. Since I don't know anybody "in the business" as they say, that is what it would have cost me to fix it. Instead, I finally ended up selling it (103,000 miles) to a Ford used car salesman for $800. He was able to get it fixed cheaper than I could. He hasn't had any problems with it that I am aware of. In my mind then, I got $2,600 for the car (this was last October). If you go by the same formula I did, you could probably get about $900 - $1,300 for yours if it is in excellent shape.

By the way, have you talked to Ford about fixing it? They have been covering some of the costs of this repair under a secret, extended warranty. I don't know the details though, but perhaps someone else does on here.

Good luck!
  • mictromictro Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the great information. I do appreciate it.

I've got a pretty good contact at a local Ford dealership. I'll be talkin' with him today about a possible "secret warranty". The worst they can say is no, right? I'll let you know if I have any success.

-Mike
  • dhaskellfhsdhaskellfhs Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2001 ES with 16,000 miles for 16,200. I tried to use Edmund's to gauge what I should pay. I figured around 16,000. What do you think? A friend of mine paid 12,400 for a 2000 SE with 25,000 miles. Does it depreciate that much?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The 2000's seem to hold $1000 more than the 1999's did, since they have the restyle, etc.

My neighboorhood Ford dealer had a glut of year old 1999's last year for $11-12K. Now they have 2000's for $13-14K. They get a lot of rental cars for sale.

Also, used Focus' go for more money than 2000 used 4 cyl. Contours. The local dealer has '00 Contours for $9999 and used '00 Focus SE's for $12-14K.
  • gbonkgbonk Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a '99 Taurus used, and I love it. The one question I have is this, however. The radio has controls for a cd changer. I am wondering if the cd changer from my old car will work. It is the Sanyo Expedio 10 disc changer. Should I just hook it up and hope for the best, or could something bad happen?
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    I have a 97 L. There is a squeak/rattle coming from the front passenger door. I notice if I drop the window down a little it stops. Anyone else have this problem?
    Have the following questions:
    - Does the door panel come off easily?
    - Do you need special tools to get the door panel off?
    - Will spraying silicone or ID 40 help?

Car has 58k and runs great. I wouldn't hesitate buying another.
    Thanks for the great info.

I just bought/my cd changer from (www.radiosandmore.com). They ship any order over $100 free. I put it in and tested the unit. It works great.
    I do not want to mount it in the bottom of the trunk and have mounted it on the underside of the package shelf. I just saved myself over $200 from what the dealer wanted.
    Thanks for your help.
    I'm real glad it worked out for you. And it was a snap to install when it is the factory unit and comes with the factory wiring harness!

gbonk - this is a much easier way to go and then you are guaranteed that the CD controls will work. See my message #621 for details of what I am talking about.
    I haven't had this problem, but in answer to your question about getting the door panel off, no, you don't need any special tools to get the panel off. Just take a Philips head screwdriver and take out every screw you find (they are in the armrest, near the door handle and around the edges of the trim) and also unscrew the door lock trim (the little plastic piece that goes up and down and locks/unlocks the door - it just screws on and off). When they are all off, stick some kind of flat blade between the panel and the metal of the door and pry it up. Once you've got it started, finish pulling it off by hand. When you have it off, you'll see that it was held in place by about 8 or 10 white plastic trim fasteners that just push into holes in the door metal. My experience is that these are prone to break or "strip", but you can get replacements at most auto parts stores. I buy the Body-Tite! brand as they are exact replacements (Ford Panel/Trim retainers - part # 45476 - about $1 for 3 of them).

Good luck!
    Thanks - will give it a try.
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    Anyone know how I can avoid having to pay $100 to my local rip-off Ford dealer for a replacement spare key for my wife's '96 SHO? They want $75 for "programming" and $25 per key, AND they want me to bring the car in for the day. This seems ridiculous to me - I read in a post on the SHOTimes site that it is possible to get a blank key from Ford and program it yourself. Anyone done this? It's the PATS system key.

Thanks,

Jonty Rees
  • homer33homer33 Member Posts: 1
    I walked in to my local Ford dealer and in the showroom was a 1999 Taurus SE. They "found" out in the field. The sticker on it is 18k and it has ABS, Power Driver seat. What should I offer for this? There are asking 17k.
    The blank key should cost about $25-$30. As long as you have 2 other keys that are already programmed and working for that car, you can program a third one yourself. The directions on how to do this should be in the owner's manual. If not, let me know and I can send you an e-mail with them.
    I might be a great find, it might be a returned lemon. First thing to do is pay for one of those searchs to see if there are title problems (such as on the Kelly Blue Book Site http://www.kbb.com/carfax.html - sorry Edmond's!). Next, if they won't negotiate on the price (and I think what you quoted is high considering you can get a new one for only a little bit more), find something they will negotiate on: extended warranty (remember, the 36 month part of that warranty is already 24 months old - might be a problem later on, might not be), financing, oil changes, whatever! Also you need to remember that as soon as you drive it off the lot, you now own a 2 year old used car with all the depreciation that goes with that! If you intend to keep it, not a problem. If you don't want to keep it forever, what about leasing it? Any dealing they are willing to do there? Double check on the warranties that are not provided by Ford (like the tires). Are you going to be left "uncovered" in case of a problem there? Lastly, I'd have them change ALL the fluids and filters (oil, tranny, power steering, brake, etc) since the possibility of contamination from sitting so long is quite high. Have them lightly turn the brake rotors and drums too.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on how I would handle it. Good luck!
  • v8shov8v8shov8 Member Posts: 4
    Try ebay, lately they have had the exact thing you need for cheap, I think the bids start at $10.00. Then look in the owners manual for programming. You dealer is a stealer, I got a replacement for just over $15.00, I didnt bother with programming cause i knew they would charge you an arm and a leg, just like they do with programming remotes for the cars. They were going to charge me $50.00 to program the remote, not when its in the owners manual. Thanks for letting me vent!!
  • sable93sable93 Member Posts: 107
    riswami,

I have the exact same problem with my '97 GL. Glad you enjoy your Taurus overall. My experience with my '97 Taurus has me ready for something else...
    sable 93,

Have you tried to fix your squeak? I understand why you wouldn't want another Taurus. Seems to me you've had more than your share of problems. How many miles on yours?
  • bobecookbobecook Member Posts: 1
    I'm now driving a 2000 Taurus SEL and regard it a big improvement over my '98 but am disappointed in two aspects of handling: dive & sway in fast cornering and lack of steering responsiveness, especially at speed, despite supposed variable assist power steering. Any recommendations on improving either feature? If it involves suspension or other parts, where do I find them?
  • scott153scott153 Member Posts: 6
    I have two 1996 Taurus GL sedans. I have had problems with the power windows on both cars since 25K miles (I now have 50K miles). There are times when I press the power window button and the window will not go down. The Ford dealer charges $350 to repair (replace motor). I am very frustrated and feel that the power windows should not be failing at these mileage levels. Has anybody else had similar problems? Any recommendations?
    I have a Taurus with 50K miles. I am considering purchasing an extended warranty (I only had the Ford warranty until 36K). Any recommendations? I am considering Autobytel's (1-Source?)Diamond 10 year/100K extended warranty plan for $1500. Does anybody have any experience with this extended warranty provider? Thanks!

Scott
    I have a 1996 Taurus GL 3.0L with 50K miles which seems to be be burning oil (10W30) to the minimum level between 3K oil changes. Anybody else having a similar problem and what are you doing about it? Thanks!
    I have the Vulcan engine and have been changing the oil at 2k or 10 weeks. see a little consumption but not down to the minimum level. little consumption is o., although I've had cars that use absolutely zip. Running a synthetic right now. I may keep that oil in longer.

How much oil are you adding when you change? The manual say 4.5 quarts with filter. Everyone, including the dealer tells me 5 quarts.
    Does anybody have any experience doing a brake job on a 97 Taurus with 4 wheel discs brakes with as?
    I did the front no problem .
    The rear wheels have a different piston and it looks like you rotate it back in similar to a Subaru I had. Do I need a tool? The car has 50k on it and the rear discs are not completely gone but I will need to change them in about 6k miles
    Any help would be great
    Are you sure about the rears. I have 100k on my '96 and the rears are fine. I did the front at about 85k due to a warped rotor. I figured that as I had the calipers off anyway, why not? I must've had at least 10k left on those pads. I was surprised at how well the OEM pads wore! When you do the back, please post your experience as one of these days I will need to do the back. Thanks.
    Michael
This discussion has been closed.