Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• Options
    kerryk1kerryk1 Member Posts: 3
    Help! I own a '96 Q45 with 59k miles and have loved it so far but all of a suddend the blower motor is stuck on 'high' and I cannot turn it off. The only time it shuts off is when I turn the car off. All other aspects of the climate control system seem to be working ok. I suspect a relay problem somewhere but would appreciate any advice. That wonderful sound system is hard to listen to when the fan is blowing so hard I can fly a kite! Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    I am iterested in either buying or leasing a 2001 Infiniti Q45. I saw an ad for a 20001 Q45 for $38,000 on the east coast. Can someone tell me what they have paid for the car? Also, I am thinking about leasing the car. I would like to hear what would be a fair leas on a new Q with a sticker of $38,000?

Thanks, Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Matt

P.S The reason I am looking at a 2001 and not a 2002 is because it will be a long time before Infiniti starts to discount the new 2002!
  • Options
    sisteralbertasisteralberta Member Posts: 1
    Assume that I have the opportunity to purchase a 1999 Q45T or a 1999 Lexus 400 GS. Both cars are in top condition and have low miles. I spent my sport cars years back in the '60s & 70's, and I still appreciate "a little snap". However, comfort and so-called "luxury" are more important to me than going from 0 to 100 in the blink of the eye.

Question: Every thing being equal if I buy the Q45, in two or three years am I going to regret not having spent the extra bucks to purchase the Lexus?
  • Options
    bad107bad107 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the base sticker on the new Q will be and also the price on the options??

thanks

also does anyone know if there will be intro sales for it?

thanks in advance
  • Options
    mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Dealers have not yet recieved firm pricing. However pre order brochures suggest that the base price will start in the low to mid 50's with the fully equiped super luxuey model pushing into the low 60's
  • Options
    trdq45trdq45 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Q45 owners, I have a question about the fuel pump in the Q45. I own a 1995 Q45 and at around 75K miles before a routine service, I started to hear a "high" pitch noise from the trunk area. At the service center I asked about the noise and was told, "sounds like a fuel pump going bad". I asked them to look into it and replace it if that was the case. They replaced it and at 115K miles, I still hear the damn noise and they tell me thats the way it sounds. I am pissed that I paid $650 to have work done unnecessarily.

Have any of you experienced the same problem noise? It is very noticeable when sitting still after a long drive, like at a parking lot, before I turn off the engine.

Thanks for your return postings.
  • Options
    rv4rv4 Member Posts: 1
    I am being quoted a hand and a leg (2k) from my dealer to replace my 91 Q45A (full active suspension) front struts. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    That unfortunatly is the trade off of the full active suspention it can be quite costly to maintain.
  • Options
    pnandapnanda Member Posts: 6
    Hi everybody,

I am very thankful to Frontier Infiniti, Santa Clara ( California ) to have a '02 Q45 for just 2 days so that interested people can test-drive. I got my appointment for today afternoon for half an hour. My wife and myself jumped at the opportunity and drove our 97.5 Q45 into their parking lot. The new Q was having a way too cool shade ( Royal Cabernet exterior, blank interior, smoke real wood trims ). 18 inch wheels and sport suspension. Both of us reached out to the driver's seat :-). Anyways, I got behind the wheel first ( She understood my agony if I was to be left at the passenger seat first ! ). The feel was very different from the 97 Q I have. The steering wheel has a tighter feel. Rolling out of the parking lot without using the "drive by wire" electronic throttle, I was dying to push the pedal to the floor. On th road and the first thing I did was get onto the gas and change to middle lane. In a whisker, I was at 45MPH. While accelerating,the was a very confident but faint noise from the hood, which made me feel as if the engine is saying,"Come on! I am just warming up!". The springs are certainly much tighter than the ones on my car. At the same time, there was no way I could feel more road noise from these 18 inch Z rated tires. That was a very good news for me. I want sport feel without making the cabin any more noisy. At 75 mps, it was only 2250RPM on the tachometer ( mine touches 2500RPM for the same speed ). This certainly was making the drive much smoother at cruising speeds. I stepped on the gas for a second and the response was so quick, I instantly passed the lexus which was trying to catch up on the other lane. As there were no racing roads for me to try things a little differently, but with what I had ( CA highways and entries & exits ), the ride was very smooth, no harshness despite the sport suspension but a very composed and tight cornering as well. I think from the power and performance point of view, this new Q can easily beat the 740,LS430 and S430, may be even S500. Along with the base model , there are two choices, sport package & the premium package.
    If you add the premium package with sport package, you get almost all the luxury features you can get with LS430 loaded with performance 18 inch wheels. The price could get around 63K with all the features I guess. I couldn't test the DVD navigation/sound system properly as they hadn't figured out the hi-fi system themselves as the car arrived only today morning.

Now, about the auto-manual gear change system:
    The response was obvious when you drive in the manual mode. From 3rd , downshift to 2nd and reach for the gas, the punishing sudden power is so pleasing. Even my wife, who is usually a very cautious driver, was thrilled at the abundant power and tried to speed at corners and in the freeway :-). But the only thing I didn't like about this manual mode is, it takes almost 2 seconds before your downshift/upshift action actually takes effect. I have tried other cars with this option, but the Q takes a little longer. I suppose once you get used to this delay, you can use the manual to great use to cut through the 4.6L MUSTANGs and company.

I just hope the frontal offset crash tests show a green flag with GOOD rating, and I would have no other argument against buying this amazingly pleasing car.
  • Options
    91qster91qster Member Posts: 3
    Love my Qship, just picked it up. Unsurpassed combo of style/power/smoothness in a nicely understated package thats a little out of the ordinary. My example is a pearl white Q in pristine condition, and the heads are turning like
    pinball flippers! BUT my question is this1 It has 124k miles,and records from the prior (and only)owner shows a new transmission (the deal maker) at 117k,and otherwise general dealership maintenance. I have heard from conflicting sources that a CHAIN GUIDE replacement job (and possibly the chain also) is absolutely mandatory at this time, an @ $2000 job. The local dealer, and some hi-end mechanics say don't worry until you hear the chain rattling, and they have never heard of anyone getting the work done pre-emptively! What's the real deal? Do you folks think this design problem (the guides in 90-93 wear out at @ 100k & frequently ruin the motor)needs immediate attention, or is this a rare occurence?
  • Options
    jothomas63jothomas63 Member Posts: 8
    I have owned my 91 Q45 for almost 5 years and love the car. I did have the guides and chains replaced at 90K due to slight rattle heard by tech. Decided it was better safe than sorry. At the time I owned two Infiniti's and called Customer Service to ask about getting a price break because it was a known problem with the 91Q. To my suprise, I was able to get the work done at a warranty cost rather than retail. Went from about 2200 to 1400. I would say with the age of the car it would need immediate attention, since I was told that you can't buy single head parts for the Q, you must buy the entire head assembly, and the guides are made of a plastic material that gets brittle with age, not miles. Good Luck!
  • Options
    sarah1197sarah1197 Member Posts: 2
    I too hear this noise you described coming from the trunk..I thought about changing the fuel pump myself..very expensive I know..over $300 just for parts. But after reading your message I don't think I will do that..I'll replace it when the car starts cutting off on me while cruising..what my Q is doing now is that it is stalling sometimes when it comes to a stop..using sudden braking..I'm guessing it is a vacuum related problem..have you had that happen to you?
  • Options
    91qster91qster Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone experienced a gas pedal stick on initial start in am? It seems togo smoother after running a while, but can be disconcerting when trying to slowly back up etc. Would this probably just be a lube situation, or an expensive throttle body thing or something?Would be nice to know before taking in for svc. to prepare for any economic shocks.,
  • Options
    jothomas63jothomas63 Member Posts: 8
    I believe this problem is due to carbon build up in the throttle body. Had the same problem with a 93 J30 and dealer cleaned for $50. Was fine after that.
  • Options
    saxophonesaxophone Member Posts: 3
    I need a new key alarm fob but the dealer's price is extremely costly. Where can I go to get a new one and what will the price be?
  • Options
    newq45newq45 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my eye set on a '97Q45t for several months now. I have thought about a '95740il, 97 540i, 98 GS300, and even Audi A6. Looking seriously at a 97 Q45t with 36K. Asking price at Infiniti dealership is $26K. Sound like a good deal? Also have an acquaintance who says he can save me several thousands buying at an auction. My problem with that, is that I don't get to see the vehicle... to me that is like buying from bay or something related. I have been on-line with various clubs and people praise the vehicle as a hidden treasure. However one particular site scares me... which is the site where people talk about their maintenance horror stories. I would love to hear from 1997 I owners and see how they feel about their purchase, especially if bought off lease. What would you different if you did it again? I think I will definitely pay more for less mileage.... so what is a good price on the car I mentioned above? If I purchase the 97 with 36K....how do you feel about extended BTB warranty to 100K....is it worht it?

Thanks for your help..I am almost a new Q45 owner.....but I still have some hesitations. I would really enjoy hearing from 1997 owners.
  • Options
    The only Q's that had significant maintenece problems were pre 1993. The newer Q's have been basically flawless. In addition they are very safe cars. I just had a client whose 1997 was in an accident that compleatly demolished the front end. If you could see the pictures you would assume that anyone who got out of the car did so in a body bag. Yet he walked in to the dealership the next day and ordered a 2001.
  • Options
    r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I think either a 2.7T A6 or a 4.2L A6 is more powerful and has better deal than the other two.
    It is an European car, AWD, better interior, and pure luxury. The Q45 & RL are still "upscaled/upgraded" Japanese cars.
  • Options
    p91414p91414 Member Posts: 1
    Hello anyone who can help! I'm considering the purchase of a 91 - 93 Q45. I'm looking at the Q because I'm assuming its a reliable car - even as a used buy. Are there any areas that I should watch out for? I.E. Engine, Trans., Electrical, etc.? Any information that anyone can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Get the VIN # and call your local Infiniti dealer to find out if there was ever any recall work done on the transmission. The Tranny is the only weak point in the early Q's. Also avoid Q45A's the A is a blast to drive but is very expensive to fix.
  • Options
    The Acura and Infiniti are refined Japanese cars. The A6 is nothing more than a refined VW, so what's your point.
  • Options
    r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    A4 may be more similiar than Passat but A6 is not. The size of a Passat and A6 may be close but they are very different. Look at its spec first.

My point is whether it is worth to buy a Q45 when an A6 is there with similiar price. If you want comfortable interior and V8 engine, A6 has similiar interior size (more head room too), nicer interior materials, much more powerful engine (300hp), and quicker acceleration. You also get Quattro (AWD) too ! Yes, Q45 is a luxury but it is still a Nissan. I like Nissan cars but I will not pay that much for them (unless it is a Skyline or President, which we cannot get now...)

IMO, I would pick the real luxury German sedan than a luxury Japanese sedan. (Sorry, I am those people who think why buy a Lexus/Japanese cars if you can afford MB & BMW and they have similar prices).

I just wonder if people buy Q45 for a mixture of luxury & reliability. Some AUDI models are not as expensive as you think.
  • Options
    fennfenn Member Posts: 197
    The A6 2.7 is a great car. Fast and beautiful. But, I am surprised if you can get one for less than a current Q. My only concern would be Audi reliability. I got my current Q45t at the same time my ex wife bought an A6 2.8. She has had many more problems, especially with accessories like air condtioning and power windows.
  • Options
    christofchristof Member Posts: 1
    I AM LOOKING INTO BUYING A 90-91 Q45 ANY ADVISE ON FINDING ONE. THEY SEEM TO BE PRETTY RARE TO FIND. I AM ALSO CONFUSED ALL THE SPECS HAVE SAID V8 BUT I HAVE RECENTLY SEEN ONE ADVERTISED WITH A V6. DID THEY COME WITH A 6 OR IS SOMEONE JUST CONFUSED. ALSO WHAT IS A GOOD MILEAGE TO LOOK FOR.
  • Options
    90-96 Q45's come with a 4.5L V8
    97-01 come with 4.1L V8
    02's will have 4.5L V8
  • Options
    An A6 4.2 is also considerably more expensive than what you can actually buy a '01 Q45 for and the '02 Q45 will blow away anything under 90 grand.
  • Options
    jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    Based on my experience with a '90 Q45, and to some extent posts in this forum - RUN AWAY! Our Q was bought used in '95 with 39k miles, totally examined by the local Infiniti dealer, all problems fixed. It caused us no end of trouble - mostly, but not exclusively, electrical in nature. All very expensive and necessary to fix. It was such a shame, because it was a fantastic car when it was not in the shop - but so many little bits falling off, things not working, and finally the need for a $2000 brake system part made it too painful to own.

Being a sucker for punishment, we got a used '96 Taurus SHO. Amazingly, this car has been completely trouble-free for the 30k miles we have put on it. Go figure.
  • Options
    I would say that your 95 Q was a lemon. I had a '95 that was trouble free until I traded it in on my '99 Q45t. It had 81,000 miles. I also had two other earlier Q's. I had no problems with my electrical systems on any of them.
  • Options
    For those who cannot wait for the 2002 Q45, go check out thenewQ.com. Lots of photos and information on the new car. It has been updated and now it even features color combinations and option lists....no prices though!
  • Options
    pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I was eagerly awaiting the new Q based upon the anticipated performance. I saw the car two weeks ago at the San Diego Auto Show and was disappointed by it's appearance, especially the front grill that looks like a generic Japanese econobox. Since it was on an elevated rotating display it was impossible to adequately evaluate it but my first impression was negative and others voiced the same opinion. Hopefully the interior as well as performance and handling will compensate.
  • Options
    raprorapro Member Posts: 30
    I am thinking about buying a 94 Q45. They are amazingly cheap in Canada, you can get one in excellent shape with 60k miles for USD 10-11k. I actually would prefer 96 Mark VIII because it looks so good (94 Q looks OK too, better than the current model or the upcoming one) but we are expecting family and need 4 doors.

I know 90-93 Q's had problems with transmission. What about 94-95 models, anything to watch for?
  • Options
    Your local dealer should now have prices for 2002 Q45's. They are much lower than I expected.
  • Options
    They are coming.......... just saw a car carrier driving on the outskirts of LA.. with a couple of new Q's aboard. As I drove along next to it I found that I was pleasantly surprised. The new Q is not a knockout or a blockbuster, but it has significant stature. It will not be mistaken for a Mercedes on an Avalon, like the new Lexus
  • Options
    baltoexecbaltoexec Member Posts: 2
    I've recently purchased a 91 Q45, with 61k miles. By all accounts it has been very well maintained with all the regular service, oil changes, blah blah blah backed up by records. My question is, especially after reading about how it doesn't take a heck of a lot to quickly find yourself with an expensive problem, whether I might do well to spend about $1,200 on a used car warranty good for 3 years/40k miles.

You can look at in different ways I suppose...it has been recommended by many that if the chain guides haven't been replaced (they haven't) that they should be. If not, they can break, leading to bent/broken valves, and a resultant multi-thousand dollar engine rebuild. That chain guide job costs about $1600. For less, I could buy the warranty and if the worst happens, the repair would be covered by the warranty. Same goes for any potential transmission problems (not that these early Q's have any transmission problems or anything...),injector problems and any other major system problems. Thoughts?
  • Options
    antlers1antlers1 Member Posts: 13
    I am in market for new car would appeciate advice and comments thank you.Antlers1
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I just saw a Q45 at a car show and while the car itself is just a big dull sedan (in appearance, anyway), I was very impressed by its headlight clusters, especially the seven-lensed headlight/driving light thing. It looked like a rocket pod on an attack helicopter!
  • Options
    The cars represent to different design philosophies. If you are looking for an ultra-quiet, ultra-isolated, one might even say boring ride then the lexus might be the right car for you. If you are looking to have fun while you drive in a car that offers superior performance to anything except an XJR or AMG S55 then the Q is probably right for you. Both offer an impressive list of features. I would suggest driving both to see which design philosophy better suits your personality.

The Q is also a better value with a price range from $51,000 to $59,000 vs approx $55,000 to 70,000 for the Lexus.
  • Options
    alp4alp4 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found a retailer who will sell the nab ads cheaper than the $120 price at the dealer? I have accessed the web site of the manufacturer (xanavi) and there was no info there. I also tried a few places on the west coast and they do not carry the ads. I am not sure one can burn a copy of their local ad and trade it or for that matter is it legal. I have not read all the info to determine if their is a copyright infringement.
  • Options
    The proper place to go for Infiniti Nav CD's is www.zenrin.com. This is the company that makes them. Unfortunatly the price direct from zenrin is the same $120 per CD or $180 for a 2 CD subscription.
  • Options
    warnerfwarnerf Member Posts: 19
    I just got invited to a test drive challenge at the end of this month at the California Motor Speedway. Their featuring the 2002 Q45 along with the 740il, S500, Jaguar XJ8 and a few others for comparison. I'll post the results along with my impressions.
  • Options
    q45kidq45kid Member Posts: 2
    can anyone tell me what to watch out for in a 130,000 mi 1994 Q45? Found one for $8,000.00 can't get extended warranty anymore. I am welcome to any suggestions from anyone. Thanks. The car has been in the desert wondering if there might be excessive wear or damage to the engine?
    Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    cainepcainep Member Posts: 35
    How do you get invited to this? Current Q45 owner? Work for Nissan/Infiniti? Sounds like a chance to drive some great cars!
  • Options
    vabawvabaw Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone recommend a good Q45 mechanic in No a or the Rockville area? I'm looking to purchase a 92 Q45, but I'd like to have it looked at by a professional. Any Information is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    Last year I got invited to a similar thing, but with BMW. You got to test a 528i, with an A6 2.8, MB E320 and Lexus GS300. I couldn't make it, but that would've been great. I think it it was something through my dealership.~ A.R.
  • Options
    I'm a current Q45 owner so I'm sure that had something to do with it. I've also filled out a number of questionnaires from Infiniti inquiring whether I'd be interested in participating in surveys, focus groups, etc. I also attended an Infiniti sponsored focus group last year.
  • Options
    I also received an invitation to test drive the new car and compare it to the other heavy hitters at the end of the month. I am a current and past Q45 owner. It would be nice if they offered a special deal to the current owners.... especially loyal one like me. I have had four Q-45s
  • Options
    If you're interested in attending, sign up ASAP. I just called and had to get on a waiting list because both their sessions are full.
  • Options
    taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    I was invited to "A taste of Lexus" a few years back it was really really nice. It had gourmet food, swing music and of course test drives! There was BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, Cadillac, and Jag. It was really cool.
    I got a brochure from Infinti in the mall today. From the looks of it I wasn't really impressed. I reallly like the Lexus LS430. I'm a past Lexus owner and really loved my LS400. But does the Q45 offer any kind of lumbar support or side airbags? I'm in the market for a new car again and I went to look at the 2000 Q45 and it wasnt up to par with Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. I'll have to check the new one out!
  • Options
    I am also stuck on the waiting list for the test drive........Oh well!
  • Options
    taurus2taurus2 Member Posts: 63
    How do you get on the list again?
This discussion has been closed.