Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• nupemannupeman Member Posts: 2
    I recently had some clutch work done on my maxima. while talking to the service tech, I asked about the real or perceived problems with the earlier model Q's trannys. He stated that he clearly thinks that most of the tranny problems are related to the radiator failing to perform properly. In other words, the tranny is not properly cooled, and as a result the tranny fails. Anybody have any thoughts or insight on this. I might add that we are talking about higher mileage cars.
  • joep00joep00 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 1994 Q45. What was the original sticker price on this car? Is there a Web site that has this information?
  • esanmiguelesanmiguel Member Posts: 1
    I have a black 1994 Q45t. It is the best year for the Q45. The car is incredibly fast and comfortable. I got it with 55K miles for $18,000.
    I had the car modified by Stillen. Check out my website for more pics and info on Q45's.

www.geocities.com/ericsanmiguel/infiniti
  • steveman711steveman711 Member Posts: 1
    Could someone please enlighten me on why my 91 Infiniti q45 with 65,000 miles on it has injector problems with all 5 injectors going bad. Is this a common problem? I am looking at a tremendous bill to replace these. Does someone know of a good source for cheap parts? Should I consider aftermarket injectors? Help!!!!!
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Your car is sweet! Really like the rims.

steveman: I have an older max and I had a bad injector. The mechanic recommeded replacing all of them even though only one was bad. His reasoning was that they (the injectors) are the same age, seen the same fuel, and were exposed to the same driving conditions. So, if one is bad, they will ALL die eventually with 10,000 miles.

I don't know why your having problems with them at 65K miles. The ones in my max lasted until 157K miles.
  • kejacekejace Member Posts: 1
    Steveman & 92Drexel

My '90 Maxima has over 300k on the original injectors with no problems (yet). But my buddy had to replace one on his '90 Max at around 100k. We only did the one; and 50k later when he traded up, the others were still fine.

We both always used name-brand fuel, and at least Mid-grade.

The parts are expensive, but the procedure is simple. Don't know if this helps.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Thanks for the info. You should not have said anything...now your injectors are jinxed (just kidding) :-)

I really wrestled with whether or not to replace one or all. In the end I replaced them all because I plan on keeping my '92 at least until it hits 210,000 miles (maybe more).

Thanks again for the input.
  • grider1grider1 Member Posts: 2
    Just came from dealership (no salespeople) and was wondering if anyone could share how much they paid for their Y2K Q45's. Another individual looking at cars indicated to be careful on new Q prices since they depreciate dramatically (all cars do but these more so). Thanks for any info shared.
  • dspearmandspearman Member Posts: 4
    Hey! I've just discovered the joys of driving a Q45 and I'm doing some research before I make the big commitment. They seem to be priced great especially for what you're getting, i.e., a luxury sport sedan with all the bells and whistles. However, I want to know what to watch out for. I read a lot about what a great value this car is, especially for around ten grand for a 92. What problems should I be looking for? When does this thing usually need tuning? How much am I looking at in maintenance, generally per year? Any advice would helpful.

Doug
    Hey! I've just discovered the joys of driving a Q45 and I'm doing some research before I make the big commitment. They seem to be priced great especially for what you're getting, i.e., a luxury sport sedan with all the bells and whistles. However, I want to know what to watch out for. I read a lot about what a great value this car is, especially for around ten grand for a 92. What problems should I be looking for? When does this thing usually need tuning? How much am I looking at in maintenance, generally per year? Any advice would helpful.

Doug
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    Doug,
    The main thing is to have service records that show maintenance being done. Of course, the usual caveats apply as do with all cars, but a couple things with Q's are worth noting. Make sure the A/C is working properly, as the control module is expensive. Do not accept the explanation that "The car just needs a tuneup" if it is running rough. (Injectors and plug wires are $$$$'s.)
    Check out the service records with a careful eye toward transmission info., making sure it has been regularly serviced. And lastly, think long and hard before you buy an active suspension model. The active susp. is a wonderful piece of engineering, but at this stage of a 92's life it could cost you almost as much as the car if it fails. (And not many shops would be qualified to repair it.) Hope this helps some. Just for reference, I sold my 93 a few weeks ago after owning it for 6 years. It had 85k miles on it, and not one item ever failed on the car. Not even a light bulb.....DB
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    And thanks for the imput. Yes it helps. I'm falling more in love with these cars every day, especially after hearing the rhapsodys being sung by Q owners - I've been grilling everyone I can find and most of them say the same things you did about your 93, nothing goes wrong with 'em. The reason I want a 92 is the price and everything I've read - I can't believe they re-sale value is so low on these incredibly engineered cars. I guess they never caught on. Or is it the silly lack of vaneer and the hood emblem? What gives? And the Active Suspension model - is that the one that has the "a" next to the name?

Thanks, you could be saving me thousands of dollars not to mention shop time.

Doug
    Doug,
    Yes, the "A" after Q45 designates the active suspension. Without going in to the resale topic too deeply, I'll just say that the prices are most affected by demand, and there just isn't a lot of demand for the Q. Of course, at last count I think I saw that Infiniti was down to around 147 dealers nationwide. It's pretty tough to sell cars when you can't "reach" a lot of potential buyers. But the effect of this marketing drawback is that (like you have discovered) buyers can buy a lot of car for the money with a used Q.
    I also believe Infiniti made a gaffe with the front end styling on the early cars. Put a bra on it and forget about it. The rest of the car was well done....DB

PS And don't forget to replace the "platters" with BBS wheels!
  • cprestoncpreston Member Posts: 2
    Anyone who is even considering an older Q should look here http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/infinitiownersclub. There is a wealth of information and some tremendously helpful and KNOWLEDGEABLE owners. A couple are even associated with dealerships and independent repair ops. They share their knowledge willingly. Check it out.

Curt
  • barnstormerbarnstormer Member Posts: 3
    On June 30th I bought a 2000 Q45 ae. For the
    people who are asking the price paid on new Qs, I
    paid $40,764 excluding delivery fee ($399), taxes
    and license. This was taking advantage of the
    $5,000 dealer incentive that the dealer passed on. He did not pass on the dealer holdback. The list on this car was $51,120.

Overall I am very satisfied with my car and it
    drives extremely well. However, I want to ask
    about three minor problems and one question I have
    on this car to see if any one else is experiencing
    the same problems on their new Q's. I have noticed a shimmy in the steering wheel at about 50-60mph and again at 80-85mph. I have had it back to the dealer now twice. Each time they have said one of the tires was not quite balanced. However, I still have the problem and noticed it when I bought the car. At that time I signed and still have a "Special Conditions of Sale" form that indicates that if I am not satisfied I can swap out for another Q45. However, I am sure if I want to swap out for another one that it will be a major hassle
    if it will be done at all. I now have about 1800
    miles on the car

I also notice that at a certain speeds(40-50) I
    see and feel the gear shift handle moving forward
    and back slightly. I cannot feel anything in the
    driver's seat, but if I am in the passenger
    seat(which is not often) I feel a very very slight
    lurching or vibrating. It stops when the speed
    changes and the gearshift handle quits moving.

One other thing that I notice is that at about
    40-45mph, if I am cruising along and take my foot
    off the gas, as one would if the car in front of
    you slowed down, the transmission does a very
    noticeable, somewhat of a bump, downshift. The
    dealer has said this is a downshift from overdrive, is nothing and occurs on all Qs.

Finally, I am 6'2", with long legs and have
    realized that I just cannot get back far enough to
    be comfortable in the seat. The car drove so great relative to what I was previously driving, I just didn't notice at the time I test drove it. Has anyone done anything to get the seat to go back further?

These problems may seem minor to many, but when I
    buy a car with a list price of $51,000, I expect
    perfection.
  • warnerfwarnerf Member Posts: 19
    This is a known problem (by Infiniti) with certain Q45s. I had the same problem on my '99 base. It drove me nuts in the beginning and several dealers I mentioned it to responded with "Nobody ever complains about that." There's some legendary Infiniti service at work before your very eyes!

Finally, I found a dealership (Discover Infiniti in San Diego) with had several customers who ran into this problem. These guys were super helpful. Service at Infiniti varies greatly among individual dealerships. The problem is not with the tire balancing but with the tire itself.
    Certain tire brands work better with certain cars due to many factors such as the rubber compunds, tread design, etc. I'm assuming you have the Bridgestone Potenzas. These tires need to be replaced with Michelins. In my case they were replaced with the Michelin Energy MXV4+. For the 17" wheels you may need to go with the Michelin Pilot XGT series. Check with the dealer.

The problem has been logged internally with Infiniti. My local dealership had to contact the factory rep to get the necessary authorization to replace the Bridgestones with Michelins.

When you approach you dealer again, mention this information and I'm sure you'll get results. I still notice a very slight amount of shimmying but much much less than before. And the tires handle much better than the Bridgestones.
    Well, I did it. I bought my first Infinity. I am now the proud and oh, so pleased owner of a l991 Q45. The car is in great shape and the interior is absolutely show room. I drove six of them before I went back and bought the first one I looked at. It's got 104k on it and I got a two year extended warranty covering everything except electrical. The whole thing tax, tittle, blah, blah, blah came to llk.

Now I know why the ads say drive one and you'll understand. The steering is so precise! It grips the ground and I've been up on some switch backs in the Hollywood Hills. Yes, it's fast. And strong. This weekend I'm taking it down to San Diego and back - got it just in time to impress my college roommates at a wedding. I don't care what they think. I'm impressed.

Now, I want to take really good care of this car. Any tips? I called Infinity about it. They told me the car had the fuel injectors changed four years ago and they split the costs with the then current owner. Everything else in it's history seems great.

How often do I tune it, watch for belt wear, and does anyone know a good mechanic - God forbid, in LA other than the dealerships?

Doug
  • trivestrives Member Posts: 2
    I bought a '97 Q45 back in April 2000; everything was fine until I drove in heavy rain in May; the engine repeatedly cut off for like a tenth of a second, occasionally sounding like it would quit completely. Now it does it every time it rains. The dealer is mistified and says I have to bring it in while it's doing it, which is a problem because I don't live close. Anybody had this problem?
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Congrats on your new Q.

Since it's not a new car anymore, you'll need help and advise from other Q45 owners. If you haven't discovered it, you should be spending time frequently at the Yahoo Infiniti Owners Club:

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/infinitiownersclub

You'll learn more about Q45's than you thought possible. It's one of the best online clubs I know of.
    Yeah, I found the club right before I picked up the car and joined immediately. I love this car and I'm hovering over it like it was a new baby. It's true, what the ads say, own one and you'll understand.

Doug
  • luckylarluckylar Member Posts: 12
    We have a 2000 G-20 for a year. Bought it with the idea of passing it down to our kid after graduation. Prying the keys from my wife's hand in May. I hope to talk her into getting a Q45 off lease. Maybe a 2000 Annv Edt when everyone wants the 2002 in May or June. How are 2000 holding up? What prices could I be looking at if there are any left on the lots? She love the I30 but for the price and rear wheel drive the Q45 is too good to pass up. Will buy the 7year/100miles warr. From Infiniti or warr gold. But how are the new cars holding up/quality/ride. write me
  • lllwlflllwlf Member Posts: 13
    If you're going to get a 2000 this spring, you should make out like a bandit. They've been selling for way below invoice on carsdirect.com and other sites. No one is buying them, everyone (including me) is waiting to see the 2002.
  • joetheflow1joetheflow1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 97 Q45 that is just off lease with 31,000. Dealer has it listed at $31k but says that there is room to play. What's the market for this car. Edmunds has it $22k to $26k. Looking at other people's posting 22k to 24 seams to be the market price. Can anyone advise?
    Joetheflow1: If the car has 31k miles; looks like it should for that milage; and has been serviced properly, don't be too concerned over the price. Low milage cars always bring a premium, and if it's a nice car you'll be glad you paid it. The dealer should let you have it in the $26-$27k range - depending on what locale you live in. $22k is a little low if the car is as nice as the milage suggests. Jack26's price of $23k for a 40k mile car is pretty good assuming there are no defects...DB
  • js33sjjs33sj Member Posts: 1
    I'm already sold on the 97 Q45--I just want to make sure that I'm getting a good deal. The car has 39K and the dealer is offering a 6yr/100k warranty for $26.5K.

Based on my research seems like a pretty good deal--I estimate that he's giving me the car between $24K-$25K with 1.5K-2.5K on the warranty.

Any thoughts?
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    Here in Houston u can get 97 Q45s for $21-$23k, depending on mileage. 1.5k-2.5 k for a warranty, imo, is quite steep. 3-4 yrs old Q45's should be very reliable in general, especially if it's Infiniti dealer that's selling the car (they make sure it's in good cond. b4 they sell it).

Try yahoo clasified, you ought to see lots of choices there.

Good luck.
  • deuce56deuce56 Member Posts: 46
    I'll post this question here and in yahoo: I bent my mast going through the carwash. I visited the dealer and bought the mast but couldn't take the time to have them install it and they said that I could replace it myself. (I live 3 hrs away from the dealer.) Has anyone had experience replacing the mast? Any tips on what needs to be done?
  • deuce56deuce56 Member Posts: 46
    >>>I bought my first Infinity.... It's got 104k on it and I got a two year extended warranty covering everything except electrical. The whole thing tax, title, blah... came to llk.<<<
    I own a '91 Q with less than 75,000 miles. It has new tires, is exceptionally clean (it was my mother-in-laws) and runs great. If anyone wants a great car for less than $11,000, send me an e-mail. I'll deliver!
  • skyleaderskyleader Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy a '99 Q45 for around $30k. Is this a realistic price? My choice is either a new Acura 3.2 TL or '99 Q45. I believe the Acura will hold its value better over the next 3 years.
    Would appreciate your input.
  • steve_nsteve_n Member Posts: 11
    It will be difficult to find a 99 Q for that price. I would wait until may or june and buy a 2000 that is coming off the 12 month leases.
    A used Q is going to hold better value than a brand new TL.
  • stingrayy1stingrayy1 Member Posts: 17
    have more detailed info on the 2002 Q45 than what's offered on the www.TheNewQ.com website?
    Looks pretty slick, I'm afraid that we've all been spoiled by the prices we've been seeing for Q45's. How much is this thing going to cost?
    I can probably answer most of the questions you have on the new Q. Let me know any questions you have.
    more is it going to cost compared to the 2001 model? When will it be in showrooms? How many different models (touring, base, etc..)?
    The new Q is expected to begin shipping from Japan the end of Feb. This means the middle to end of March it will be in showrooms. We are expecting the price to be around 5-10 grand higher. For example a loaded touring model, with the 18" wheels, nav system, (every option) we are expecting to come in at about $63,000. The model lineup should be the same, base/touring model.
  • jack2626jack2626 Member Posts: 2
    ed, it looks as if we are down to the same 2 finalists...what are your thoughts on the better buy for long-term reliability and resale..I personally will drive 25,000 miles a year..are you considering any other cars such as the I30?
  • aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    Hey Q fans, check out http://thenewq.com

enjoy
  • stingrayy1stingrayy1 Member Posts: 17
    I would like to know what options are going to appear on the new Q versus the LS430. Is the new Q going to have more back leg room? Possible extended wheel base version? Last, are you an Infiniti dealer or working for one? If not, where do you get your info?
    Yes I do work for an Infiniti dealership, in Washington state. I know quite a bit about the car, but I have not had the pleasure to see one yet, so I am going by information supplied by our district manager. As far as options go, as I stated you will have the Luxury or Touring model, DVD based nav system, run-flat tires, 18" rims, heated seats, as far as other options let me do some more research, and I will get back to you.
    Infiniti is missing a car. I'm a QX4 owner who is really pleased the the experience I've had. Now that my lease is wrapping up I'd like to get another Infiniti, but they just don't have a product I want. I wish they had a mid size sport sedan like a GS430 or BMW 5 series, if they did I'd buy it. The I30 is too small, and the Q45 is too big, and pricey.
  • pgoldstonpgoldston Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know the difference between the two releases of the Q45 in 1997?
    Listed here at Edmunds are year model 1997 and 1997.5
    Is one better than the other?
    Why the mid-year release?
    Thanks, Phil
  • warnerfwarnerf Member Posts: 19
    steve_n:

The new Q45 which is on TheNewQ.com web site looks noticeably different than the 2002 Q45 which debuted at the New York Auto show. You can check it out at http://www.autoshowny.com.

At first glance the cars look roughly the same but close inspection reveals that the Q on the Infiniti web site has a smaller, more aggressive looking grill. Also, the front headlights are not pulled back as far as those on the car that debuted in New York. These are just a few of the subtle differences I noticed. I'm sure there are others. Any thoughts?
    The car that was shown in New York at the auto show was a concept car. It is very rare that a car goes from concept stage to production unchanged. I have viewed several pictures of the car shown in NY, and a lot of pictures of the car due out in March. Personaly I like the car that we will be sending into production. I think it is a very dramatic change from the current model. I think this will be the car that puts Infiniti back on the road they were on in the early 90's. Performance first, luxury second.
  • karksterkarkster Member Posts: 1
    I know others have asked this question, but I have yet to hear a definitive answer. Does anyone know whether there will be an in-dash 6CD changer in the new Q45?

While there was a lot of information on TheNewQ website, I couldn't tell.
    It will probably be the in dash version, however there has not been any specific notification on the location of the c.d. changer.

As far as the 97-97.5 Q45, The 97 was the new body style. It was released in March of 96. Mid-way through the model year, Infiniti made a couple of changes to the Q. The most notable change was the addition of side impact airbags. This is the tell tale difference between the 97, and 97.5 Q.
  • pgoldstonpgoldston Member Posts: 8
    Good morning,
    The 97-97.5 question had me stuck and I could not locate an explanation. Since my wife & I love the Q's and are now in a position to purchase I've started to do our "homework" on the preowned market.

Here's another one for you Steve (if you don't mind me asking)
    Of the model years 97, 98 & 99, is one year model proving to be better? I realize that little "tweaks" were made each year and that the analog clock was put into the '99, but besides that is there anything major that has began to surface in these 3 model years?
    Best Regards,
    Phil
    Phil, there are not a lot of differences between the 97, 98, or 99 models. I believe it was not until the '00 model that they went to the glass roof, instead of steel in the sunroof. You will be able to pick up a 97 a little cheaper, and driving down the road no one will know the difference.
  • phils999phils999 Member Posts: 1
    looking at 1991 infiniti Q45, immaculate service records; serviced and stamped service manual every 3750 miles. 15, 30, and 45k maint. service performed by infiniti. Title search and maint. records verify mileage to be legitimate (57,000) Currently on BMW/PORSCHE/JAGUAR dealer lot for 11,900. took it to infiniti dealer who also verified service records. They performed 120 point inspection which reccomended:
    -valve covers beginning to leak
    -replace front seal
    -a/c compressor beginning to make a little noise
    otherwise, says looks good. Any idea of cost to maintain this car? I feel 9900 should be fair, any suggestions...
  • mschwagmschwag Member Posts: 1
    Closing in on a 97 Q45t with 37k mi for 25-26k. The finance rate for a lease is 3.9%. Is Infiniti subsidizing this rate to move merchandise... seems too good to be true...is there a catch?
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    I'm not near the Q45 expert that Q45MAN is but I do know that valve cover seal replacement is a complex and expensive job. I imagine the front seal would also cost a few bucks to replace. The A/C compressor won't get better so you'll have to replace that too. After 10 years the car will need quite a bit of work to get it up to spec so that you can enjoy the Q45 Experience.

If you can get it for $9900, I'd take it. Then I'd take the 2 grand, add another grand or two, and have all the work done ASAP. Do all the fluids (every one of them), filters, brakes, shocks, new Michelin Pilot XGTV4's, and go thru the car with a fine-tooth comb. Then you can laugh at all your buddies who spent $30K+ on their boring Lexus'.
This discussion has been closed.