Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you currently drive a 2019 Ford Ranger and live in Michigan?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Audi A6

Comments

• I have a 2000 2.7T which has been flawless except I was a victim of the bad fuel tank sensors when the car was almost new. They were replaced and it has been fine since. My lease will be up in March '03 and I was considering keeping it but the numbers don't seem to work. The residual on my lease was 62% so the buy back is over $27,000. To release or finance the monthly payments are almost as high or higher than I'm paying with the warranty over. Is that buy back price negotiable with AofA? Any advice that would let me keep it would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Call Audi Finance Services couple months before your lease end, try talk to a manager and negotiate. Also, before you call, post in the "Real world trade in value" under the "Snart Shopper" Category, and see what's a real world price for your car is. This way, when you talk to that manager on the phone, they will know you are serious with your offer. BUT, don't feel bad if they say no to your offer.
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 266
    Where's that spot where you got info on equalizer settings? I've done some looking and am missing it.
  • Would anyone know if Audi installs non -greaseable (no zerk fittings)on the front-end steering/ suspension components?

Does this mean a no-lubrication , meaning no maintenance, remove and replace front-end?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    I was told that this was the case on A4's - at least the previous model like my '98.5 - but I'm not sure about the later models or any of the A6's. My out-of-warranty A4 repair at 46,000 miles cost $1,224.53, of which $767.12 was for the parts (looking at copy of invoice right now). The parts replaced were "both front lower control arms, swaybar links and guide links" plus various bolts, nuts and screws. Included in all this is a "front suspension kit" that costs $628.00 for the part.

As I've posted here previously, this is the only repair (non-maintenance type) the car has needed since new, but it wasn't cheap and I was surprised that the front suspension wasn't serviceable, and thus is destined to have a relatively short lifespan. Hope the allroad with its even more expensive air suspension components does better than this!
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    Thanks for the tips on Audi reliability. Extended warranty seems essential unless one has a 7-digit income (before the decimal point). Sorry to mention it here but according to Consumer Reports, BMW--both 3 & 5 series-- has a far better repair record than Audi. The A-6 has that scary black circle adjacent to it in CRs repair table, meaning "much worse than average."
  • I'm not basing anything I'm about to write on anything factual let alone based on years of research or sleuthing.

So having prefaced it as such, I think that CR stats fall short when it comes to high-end cars. I say this based on the observation that many (not ALL, not MOST) buyers of high-end autos do not peruse the pages of CR in as great a number as do buyers of Hondas, Daewoos, Chevies. Not that they're less inclined to look for a good deal, but poring over the pages of a rag that advises on the purchases of toaster ovens and adult diapers may offer a bit of an odd juxtapositioning of content vis-a-vis a comparo of BMWs, Lexi, Audis.

Having said that I think that these same buyers would be less inclined to do an informational 180 degrees. That is to say, they'd be less inclined to voice their opinion on matters of reliability or other cars issues (good or bad) simply because CR isn't on their decision-making radar scope.

I think, therefore, that the info CR obtains is sparse and not a true cross-section of the high-end car-buying public.

Bartalk, I'm not trying to persuade you into anything and my above observations are based on nothing in particular. The best you can do is protect yourself as much as possible. Conclusion remains the same: whether you choose BMW or Audi, get added protection if you plan on keeping beyond warranty.
  • Sorry! You can find the section on the hidden equalizer in Audiworld website-Technical-Electronics. There are a few articles there on how to improve the sound sysem as well as the codes for changing other features.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Posts: 326
    It's true that owners of BMW 7 Series, Audi A-8, high-end Mercedes, and the like are few in number as subscribers to CR. But in their reliability statistics, CR does indicate when there are inadequate numbers of a certain car/model to make statistically significant generalizations. But I would think that owners of mid level BMWs, Audis, etc. are just as aware of the problems they've had with their cars as owners of Chevys and Hondas and are equally accurate in reporting their problems on CRs annual questionnaires. That said, I agree that it's probably folly to go more than 4 years with an Audi or BMW unprotected, so to speak.

P.
  • Yesterday, my Audi dealer informed me that both my wife's 2003 225HP TT coupe and my allroad will "dock" on or about October 7th and that we should have them no later than 30 days after that!

My 2001 A6 4.2 now has over 35,000 miles on it, and since the last full brake replacement this car has been great! I will miss it!
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Posts: 276
    Interesting thing just happened to me in my '00 2.8Q. I had a tire blowout. I was driving through a roadwork area, so all I heard was the usual drone of the rough road. The quattro instantly adjusted the power to the wheels, so I actually felt nothing unusual. After about a half mile, I noticed the noise getting louder while the road was getting smoother. At this point, I was already on a major bridge, so I slowly drove to the end and safely left the road. When I got out, I (understandably) found the tire to be totally shredded. (The tire store guys had a laugh when I carried the wheel in and said "Fix a flat?")

Fortunately, there was no other damage (alloy wheel held up perfectly). I also found out that the A6 comes with a full-size matching spare tire mounted on a fifth matching alloy wheel. Boy, I love this car.

My point is that a tire blowout at highway speed can have catastrophic results. Because of the quattro, I didn't even know it happened.
  • Better hope your new cars are arriving in a port on the east coast or your wait could continue for quite some time.
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 266
    Ah Ha, I was looking on Edmunds since that was were the post #3238 said the info was at so thanks for the redirect.
  • px260px260 Posts: 42
    Pay attention to the cars while you are driving. How many 100, 5000, or the original Quattro do you see that are still on the road? Not many. The Mercedes are expensive to fix as well, but there are plenty of 30+ yr old 240D, 300D, or the newer 420/560 S class around. I presume Audi's are not keepers, and reliability is probably the most reason for being so.
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    I have to take some issue with the statement that there aren't many old Audis on the road. Probably not any of the 77-83 5000's, but around here in the Seattle area there are still plenty of the '84-'91 5000/100/200 permutation around. To say nothing of many 80's and 90's of that vintage. In fact, the spouse and I have often remarked how many older Audis we still see on the road. I can look out the window of my office any day and see at least two of the '84-'91's. Most of the Benzes that you see are diesels. And, you're right, it costs megabucks to keep the gas ones on the road. A client of mine had a '80 450SE that he really liked, but the HUGE expense to keep it running eventually drove him to Hondas, where he has remained since.
  • Here in our small city, Cincinnati, we have two Audi dealers, two BMW dealers and one Mercedes dealer (we also have one Jaguar and one Rolls Royce/Bently dealer), we have no Ferrari dealer (that I know of anyway). I say this to set the stage -- there are plenty of "older Audis" in this city. There are plenty of Bimmers and somewhat fewer Mercs -- but considering the number of dealers noted above -- this should not be hard to believe. There actually seem to be more Jaguars than Mercedes -- but intuitively I think that is not possible -- the Jaguars are all so very new that I see around here. Not so the other European cars.

And boy do we have plenty of cars with the Lexus label on them, less so Infinity but a lot of them too.

So, this may or may not be an indicator of reliability -- if it is (which I would doubt), I would say it is an indicator that Audi's (and BMW's to be fair) are popular and reliable (as far as one could tell just from an informal census of Audis and BMW's in Cincinnapolis.

Mercedes may be more reliable than Audis -- I do not personally know and I only know one person who has one (a 1997 E class) and it always seems to be needing repairs that are generally three digits to the left of the decimal point.

I don't wish us to paint a rosier than real picture on this forum, but I wish sometimes that we would spend a little less energy trying to prove that Audis are less than reliable.

We all have our own or know of horror stories about every brand of car -- wait a minute, I do not know of any Rolls Royce horror stories, so I take that back.
    Here in So Cal, people have so many choices, and an older Audi is truly a rare sight. I feel that discussing reliability on 15 +/- yr old cars really is like comparing stock porfolio with 1-2 yrs track record - not long enough to establish a true sense of measure. The Mercs are more expensive when new, probably equal or less so to upkeep when comparing with BMW, Audi, and Volve, but there are just so many more vintage (and newer) Mercs around. Why? I'd say reliability is the issue.
  • 1st - I drove from San Jose to Tahoe on Thursday and back this morning. I did not see one single Audi from the time I left the Bay Area. That makes me a little nervous. Where did all the Audi's go?

2nd - My uncle test drove a 2002 A6 Quattro last week and tried to get it for $35 (with particular options this one had a sticker of $42,500) and the dealer in Palo Alto would only come down to $40 - although I saw it on carsdirect for $35,500.
    Strange and makes me nervous about tryng to get mine for a steal....
  • lar60lar60 Posts: 15
    I recently moved from No.Cal down to San Diego and see as many Audi's on the road as any other make, particlarly A4's and A6's. My guess would be that since Audi has improved their product and quality in more recent years you'll begin to see these cars more frequently and on the road for longer periods of time. Think about it, if you had bought the Fox, would you still be driving it? Although my previous car, a TT quattro, attracted enough attention that people would come up unsolicited and tell me about their 18 year old Audi with 150k miles and still going strong.

As for carsdirect, I recently bought my '02 A6 3.0 with convienence and preferred packages, no quattro, and priced it off both carsdirect and edmunds to use as leverage at the dealership. The $35,500 number is a little shocking because just 4 weeks ago it was a couple of thousand more. If you can get it for that price - buy it.
  • I have an 02 A6 2.7 with sport suspension an 17in. rims. I would like to drop the car about one inch more. Any clues about springs that would get me low ,and still keep the same ride?
  • Go to Joe Hoppens web site or call Joe Hoppen Motorsports -- they have an "executive suspension option" that lowers ride by a total of 35mm over stock -- this should be another 15mm lower than the sport suspension.

Personal opinion: if there are stiffer anti-sway bars, get them too -- I would imagine that the sport suspension "shock absorbers" would be OK, but there are more heavily damped ones available.

Hoppen will tell you about the trade offs you will experience. You may lower the suspension, for example and leave the anti-sway bars as "audi stock" ditto the rest of the set up. Or you may mix and match, within the limits of safety, of course. Point is, each combination and or permutation of spring height, rate, sway bar and shock damping (as well as the wheels and tires) will effect the ride, handling and appearance of the car. You don't want to end up with a cool looking car that doesn't handle or ride to your tastes.

I have found, Hoppen's son, Mike to be very helpful and willing to discuss things in depth with you on the phone.

Good luck, keep us posted.
  • Hey, how flat does the back seat in the A6 fold down? I do a lot of hauling and even some car camping, and I am just wondering if it is flat enough for say, a 5'10" man to sleep in. I know this sounds odd, but I do this alot in my Saab 900, and it's cheaper than a hotel, and nicer than a tent! thanks alot,
  • Can't say for a sedan. But my Avant's cargo area can lay down pretty flat, as long as I remember to pull the headrest up a bit. Could a person measuring 5'10" sleep in it? I don't know, I never try.
  • Any kind of anecdotal claim regarding the reliability of a marque based on "how many you see on the road" is farcically baseless. You would have to know how many of which models were imported into which region, etc. Even if you did have that information, there are countless other factors. It might be that the Audis were bought by younger buyers and driven into the ground after 200,000 or 250,000 miles. By contrast, the Mercedes may have been sold to an older demographic, and/or pampered and driven relatively fewer miles. Here in New England, 80's & early 90's Audis are legion. One obvious reason, of course, is that we need the quattro a lot more than in So. California. I challenge anyone to pick a half dozen ads out of the paper for 1984-1992 Audis (there are plenty around here). Or hit a few lots & look for them. Check the clocks- 180,000, 210,000, even 250,000 miles is routine. This fact alone routs any questions about reliability among these cars.
  • OK - I am finally going to make it to my wonderful local dealerman to buy the 2002 A6 wagon I've been salivating over. One person here has already told me that the very-well-loaded $35,500 price I got quoted at carsdiret will never fly (and by the way - carsdirect no longer has the 02 audi's listed so i can't go back to get it there). I'd love additional current buying experience since the last car I bought was in 1991 and set me back only a fraction of what this one will. I don't want to go in with false hopes but still want the best deal possible so i can afford to gas her up!

And hey, just in case the reliability rant was directed at me - I just meant it was crazy to be out of the SF Bay area for 5 days and not see any Audi's since while I'm on the road at home Audi's of all ages are on every corner reminding me to get to the dealer and buy!
  • It seems that I have an Audi which suffers from the average an common complaints I see in these postings. The warped brake rotors (replaced with no further problems), The shimmy at 60-65mph (solved after 2 wheel balances at the Audi dealership), the gremlins in the audio head unit (in my second unit now and again the periodic blackouts) and now the chirping sound in the AC fan when it rains and the fan speed is at very low settings, worse when braking and/or going over irregularities on the road. I know this chirping has been mentioned here before, but I have not read of anyone identify exactly what the problem is and if it can be solved without altering the integrity of the dashboard. Has Audi generated a Tech letter regarding this?
    Since it happens only under very specific circumstances it is hard to recreate for the dealer and I can see the service people looking at me wondering if my lithium levels are out of whack.
  • My now almost 30 month old Audi A6 4.2 "came from the factory" with a chirping AC motor. A new motor was put in within days of my receiving the car -- in all fairness to the dealership, the noise took a day or two to become apparent and if the fan ran fast enough the noise was not generated at all.

My A6 has 36,000 miles on it and several thousands of miles ago all four brake rotors were replaced -- still perfect, as is just about everything else about this car. My 2003 2.7T manual allroad is "on a truck" from port to Cincinnati. I should be getting a call next week or the week after telling me to "come on down" and pick it up.

Even though I have NOT enjoyed having a tiptronic -- I will miss this car. For the money, I still maintain ". . .nothing even comes close."

I hope to be saying the same about my allroad.
    I agree that the snow region will see a lot more all/4 wheel drives than the sun belt, but I believe Audi makes 2-wheel drives. I am making an observation that to spot an 80's or early 90's Audi in So Cal is truely a rare sight. There are lots of the newer A4's and 6's here but to see one A8 on the road is like, forgetaboutit.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,297
    would like to drive something a little different.
    Aren't Beemers everywhere in SoCal?

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC