Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    SLFXV--Zaino is simply a line of car care products (mostly polishes) that first had a following among the "show car" set. They've now become appreciated among regular folks, like you and me. I've used the product and really liked it.
    Emale--Don't get the resident pest started. I've never had (nor heard) of any paint recalls on any products I owned in the past. In fact, it's fairly common knowledge that Ford had problems with their paint for several years on several vehicle lines. With regard to Consumer Reports--tell me something I don't know. For years a number of us--familiar with the scientific method--have leveled these criticisms at CR. That's not to imply that you throw the baby out with the bath water, simply that their methodologies have limitations. The "self-reports" which comprise the majority of data they use for their "reliability" rankings come to mind as one dubious example.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    jason,

i've never owned any vehicles afflicted with paint problems either but i do know a couple people who do/did. the secretary at my office has a 92 shadow that has the paint peeling off of it. also, a guy at my church has a late 80s caravan that has the same problem. anyway, you are right. all three domestic makes have had paint problems. i know i've seen several ford trucks where the paint was peeling right off...
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Jason5-

There might be some info on peeling paint here-
    http://www.wam.umd.edu/~gluckman/Chrysler/CCD/CCD.html

fastdriver
  • dc13dc13 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks so very much for the link. I'm sure it will come in handy. Peeling paint / chipping paint 1990-1999 now who would have thunk it!!!
    checked out that link. interesting link, but if you read carefully, "almost" all the problems are pre 94 model year whether it be about paint, tranny or whatever. so, little if any of that data applies to todays cars and trucks.
  • alvey1alvey1 Member Posts: 8
    Well, I've been reading the posts here for quite some time. Thought I'd finally kick in my two cents worth. Following 2,000 miles, my 99 Intrepid had vibrations in the steering wheel. Dealer balanced and rotated - still there. At 7,000 just kept taking it in as often as schedule allowed. At 8,000 two of the Goodyear were determined out-of-round and were replaced. Now, at 11,000 miles the other two tires have been determined to be out-of-round, and two wheels also out of round. It seems that each axel either had bad tires or bad rims - so even rotating did not alter the vibration. Gosh, I hope this cures all. Love the car, good fit and finish, but could sure use a neon in the trunk!
  • dc13dc13 Member Posts: 23
    Good luck with your Intrepid. I agree the extra hp the Neon could provide might just be enough to give the standard engine in the Intrepid a passing grade. From what I have been told the Neon engine suffers from head gasket problems also, I have enough of that already.
    Check the link in 417, might give some insight on what's to come with your auto.
    Again good luck and enjoy.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Allpar is one of my favorite websites. It is not commercially associated with DC, Mopar or the old CC. It is an enthusiasts' website with information about all things Chrysler, from Desotos to Vipers. It is dedicated to fun with Chryslers. The information there is top notch, and tries to be unbiased (except against Consumer Reports). The name derives from moPAR, and applies to ALL things Chrysler, hence ALLPAR. HAve fun exploring it sometime. I have, and it is a bookmark for me.

Ed
  • faddahfaddah Member Posts: 4
    I have a quote from a dealer of $21700 (incl. TTL)for a 2000 es. It is the 24L trimline. Does this sound about right? Any help would be appreciated.

Faddah
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Faddah,

From my calculations on the Edmund's pricing site, that seems like more than invoice. I don't think that you should be paying more than invoice. You could help more if you would take the TTL out of the price for us, because that varies widely from state to state. Here it is $300.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,676
    Hey gang,

The cheap (300 treadwear rating) tires on my Intrepid are about to go, at only 26,500 miles. Anybody have any good suggestions for replacement tires? I'm not too crazy about having to replace a set of tires after only one year, so maybe a better brand will hold me awhile longer.

Thanks!
    -Andre
  • coachditkacoachditka Member Posts: 11
    replaced the badyears on my 99 at about 30000 miles. I bought a set of BF Goodrich Precept Touring tires. The Eagle GA's that come on the car are also touring tires. The BFG's have a better treadwear rating and should last 80,000 miles. I paid somewhere around 330 at Discount Tire Company. We all know not to buy Firestone! At least go with a brand name.
    thanks for the info on the tires. I'll check into Discount Tire Company. I don't deal with Firestone at all anymore. I have a set of Firestone Firehawks on my '89 Gran Fury, which have gone at least 30K miles with good tread still on them. Still, Firestone did some work on my friend's Tracker, and messed it up pretty royally. I used to take my Gran Fury to them, too, for oil changes, because I hated greasing the suspension fittings on the car. Well, evidently, Firestone hated greasing them too, because they never did!! Found this out the last time I did an oil change/suspension lube myself...some of those fittings were dry as a bone! I also found out that they would dump 10W30 oil in anything, no matter what the owner's manual said. When I confronted them on this, they had the nerve to say that they didn't have time to memorize every car's oil requirement!
    -Andre
    coach,

did the goodrich tires cut down on any road noise??
    here is an interesting link:

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/000926/daimlerchr_2.html

this would bring dc's north american products up to the warranty standards of toyota, etc.
  • coachditkacoachditka Member Posts: 11
    The BFG tires are a lot better than the Eagle GA's. I think that they are l little smoother and perform better in wet weather. The Michelin are also fine tires. However, I bought the BFG's because I work in outside sales and do a lot of driving. Most of the sales reps in my office have BFG tires and the verdict is long treadwear and good performance. I will always go to Dicount Tire Company. They have the best service and prices in Texas. www.tires.com
    The Eagle GA's on my mom's first gen Intrepid went almost 40,000 mi. She recently had them replaced, at the dealership, and they used GY Regatta tires. At least I think that's the name. The appear to be an all season tire about a notch or half-notch better than the GA's.
    At just over 13,000 miles I rotated the Eagle GA's on my 2000 Intrepid last week. Probably should have done it sooner, but you live you learn. I have no doubt that these tires ought to last the better part of 25-30K. Even the fairly high buck Michelins on my wife's car needed replacing at about 40K.
  • rm250rm250 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking to buy a 99 Intrepid STD. The owner said that when the ambient temperature is cold that the transmission acts like it is in neutral even thou it is in gear, after the engine warms up it appears to work OK. Is this a cold weather problem or is the transmission getting ready to go completely out? Thanks for any info on this subject.
  • davidudavidu Member Posts: 40
    I've never had that problem with my 99 Intrepid in any temperature. Although mine is normally garaged, its has spent several nights outside when the temperature has approached zero, and the only thing unsual I've noted in the cold is a slight clicking noise from the AC compressor for the first minute or so after starting.
    rm250,

i remember something similar happening on my 96 intrepid on very rare occasions. for example, i'd pull out of the garage and into the street, then head for the end of the block (which is a short distance from my house). when i'd pull up to the first stop sign the car would act like it didn't want to downshift back into first gear (it had upshifted into second on the travels to the end of the block). but after giving it a little gas it would. this would only happen at the "first" stop after having sat all night in the cold. it didn't happen on subsequent stops after the first stop. and strangely enough it only happend when temperatures were in the teens and 20s. if it were warmer or colder than that, it didn't occur. anyway, i had the local dealership take a thorough look at it but they never found anything wrong. and it did that from the day it was new but i never noticed or had any other problems in 30k miles.
    Thanks davidu and emale for your response. I think I can buy this 99 Intrepid STD for $8,600. The mileage is coming up on 96k, the exterior and interior are immaculate. This vehicle was a company car driven by a lady sales rep that covered 4 lower mid western states (98% interstate-highway miles. I'm asking for your input on the gamble of the high miles. Would you gamble on buying this vehicle? Thanks again for your input.
    rm250,

personally, i wouldn't buy ANY car that had 96k miles on it...
    rm250-

96,000 miles on a 99 Intrepid??? That's a lot of miles. I would never buy a car with 96k and expect it to be reliable, especially a Chrysler. I only have 30k on my 99 300M and I've had a ton of problems. Have the dealer run the VIN in their Chrysler computers to see how much warranty work has been done on the car. That should give you some idea of its quality.

fastdriver

PS- She wasn't a Chrysler rep- was she? ;-))
    I'd have a really hard time buying a car with that many miles, especially in just a year or two!! From what I've seen advertised, you could pay well under $20,000 and get one with far less mileage.

Man, that kind of mileage is usually associated with over the road trucks. Maybe it's one of the limited production "Intrepid Kenworth Edition" models!!!
    Thank you for your opinions and good humor. No she wasn't a Chrysler rep and yes she is an LTL Freight Company rep. Maybe that is a "Intrepid Kenworth Edition" model. I too am having a hard time deciding to buy this Intrepid. I guess the good body style and the great over all appearance had blinded my good judgement. Thanks again for all the input.
    rm250-

Whew! That was a close call! Glad you saw the light! LOL....

fastdriver

PS What is an Intrepid STD? Not sure I ever heard of this model.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    It's an Intrepid that has no morals, and now has one of "those" diseases :)
    marsha7-

LOL.. I don't see you here for ages and now I come across two of your messages in the two placemarks I've viewed. Are you following me now?

STD- so it's THAT kind of car! Kind of like my Christine! She has no morals at all. She'll go with anyone. She's already had some close relationships with THREE "5-STAR" dealers.

fastdriver
    I just responded to you in Talk to the Hosts, I come here, and here you are. Obviously I must be following you, since you have faster DSL and I am on 56K modem. You have been here, left, gone to dinner and gone to bed for two hours, and I am still downloading my "start" page :)

Your point is well taken; my Intrepid has been diagnosed by two 5-star dealers. Like going to MD's...Sorry, we can't find anything wrong with you, it must all be in your head!!! Maybe the dealers who can actually find something wrong are the few 6-Star dealers in the country... :)
    Edmonds lists two models for 99, a 4 Dr ES and a 4 Dr STD. Since this is a company car they didn't splurge on the extras. After weighing all the input that I have received from this Intrepid chat format and info from other sources I am going to pass up the "Intrepid Kenworth Edition" that I still think looks sharp to me. If you don't hear form me it's because I'm going to feel like an outsider being a non Intrepid owner, but I will check in from time to time to see how everyone is getting along with their Intrepids. Thanks Again:
    bob,

have the dealers you've been to tried to fix your climate control by applying the two or three different tsbs that seem to specifically relate to your problem? I'm sure the fix is one of those. by the way, haven't seen you complain about it recently so what's up?
    rm250-

Thanks. I never heard of an Intrepid STD. I guess they mean "standard" model as opposed to the ES. Anyway, don't be worried about posting here. I don't own an Intrepid either. I have a 99 300M- same thing, just a little fancier. Certainly no quieter.

Read this and maybe you won't even buy a Chrysler-
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/7501/

Good luck.

fastdriver
    I think you made a good decision to stay away from that '99 Intrepid with 96K miles. That's incredible to think that someone would put that many miles on a car that fast. I've had my 2000 for almost ll months now, and it has almost 27000 miles, and most people I know think it's incredible that I've racked 'em up so fast! I also deliver pizzas p/t, and about 250-300 miles a week is just because of that.

96K highway miles may not be as bad as you think, though, considering that the car would have been driven long distances at relatively constant speeds. With the wear-and-tear that delivery driving puts on my car, I would guess mine would be more the equivalent of a 40-45K mile car. On an average night, say 25 deliveries, just think of how many times I've slammed the door, jumped in and out of the car seat, turned the car on and off, pulled jackrabbit starts and stops, etc etc.

Other than things that wear out normally (I need new front brakes and tires) and circumstances beyond the car's control (rear-ending another car, someone breaking into my car at 6-Flags America, a flat tire, and a cat that tore loose the black stone shield when it ran in front of me...don't worry, animal lovers, the cat survived, and judging by the way it took off, was unhurt.) the car has been very reliable. Still, I don't know if I'll trust it when it gets to around 100K miles. We'll see when it gets there!
    -Andre
    when I left it at the selling dealer for two days, they told me they checked TSBs and there were none that described any problems with air conditioning. It has cooled in the last few weeks, so air seems to work better when the temp is only 75-78. But on those one or two days in the low to mid 80s, it is present, but getting it to the dealer on that one warm day, when I really do have a life.....and yes, the driver's seat still moves (only when I drive :),

I originally liked the car, and I feel that these two problems can be easily fixed, if someone will only fix them. As soon as I can afford it, it is back to the imports for me. You know all the usual reasons, so I won't bore you with them.
    marsha7,

here are a couple tsbs i found at the nhtsa site. do any of these describe your problem? if so print them out and take to your dealer and demand they fix your car...

Service Bulletin Number: 083199REVA
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 121
    Date of Bulletin: 9910
    NHTSA Item Number: SB612139
    Make: DODGE
    Model: INTREPID
    Year: 2000
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
    Summary: SUBJECT ON INTERMITTENT VTA, OVERHEAD TEMP. SLOW TO UPDATE, A/C POOR PERFORMANCE AFTER START-UP. *MJS

Service Bulletin Number: 857
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 106
    Date of Bulletin: 0001
    NHTSA Item Number: SB610644
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT
    Summary: ON SOME VEHICLES, THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE MAY INTERMITTENTLY CAUSE THE VEHICLE THEFT ALARM NOT TO FUNCTION AFTER THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN TURNED OFF AND THE DOORS ARE LOCKED; THE AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL SYSTEM MAY EXHIBIT POOR A/C PERFORMANCE; OR THE TEMPERATURE DISPLAY ON THE OVERHEAD TRAVEL INFORMATION SYSTEM MAY BE SLOW TO UPDATE AFTER THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN STARTED. *TT

Service Bulletin Number: 240200
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 106
    Date of Bulletin: 0003
    NHTSA Item Number: SB610638
    Component: HEATER:DEFROSTER:DEFOGGER AND VENTILATION
    Summary: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT ERRATIC OPERATION OF THE A/C AND HEATER SYSTEMS INCLUDING: LACK OF COLD AIR, LACK OF HOT AIR, UNREQUESTED MODE CHANGE (ATC ONLY), NO CONTROL OF MODE OR TEMPERATURE CONTROL OR DITHERING / TAPPING BLEND DOOR NOISE. *TT
    My 99 had AC probs, and dealer didn't have any TSBs on the AC!!! So, I just printed out all of them that I found at the NHTSA site and provided them to them. They even showed me their TSB book, and they weren't in there. The sevice manager got a hold of someone to resend them TSBs. Good grief - you'd think a 5 star would be a little better than that.
    Hey gang,

I'm driving from Maryland to Chicago tonite to look at a used Travco motorhome, but I'm getting a rental car so the Intrepid can have a rest. I've had the car 11 months today, and it has just over 27,000 miles on it. This trip would add about another 1600 or so to it, and my brakes and tires are already getting close to replacement time, so I'd rather rack up those miles on something else.

Plus, I don't wanna have to tow a 4 ton motorhome with my Intrepid when it breaks down ;-) The Ford Contour rental car should be able to do that just fine ;-)

-Andre
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    I wouldn´t trust the Contour,It is smart from you to leave home your beauty,but can´t you rent a better car,if not watch those Firestone tires!.

Take care,and have a safe trip.
    Emale.. Was at the dealer scheduling a time to replace my CD player and picked up a 2001 Intrepid brochure. Much to my surprise--were you aware that the "active intake manifold/valve" has appeared across the line now? Even on our beloved 3.2.. Curiously the hp/torque numbers listed show no decrease in revs at max numbers but I can only assume that the torque and hp peaks (which are now at 222) is more "accessible" across the rev range. Ironically they list the 3.5 in the R/T as having this feature as well. Think it's time to put in a request to Buzz over at Car-Truck.com--see if he can get the skinny on all this. Unless, of course, someone here has more insider info.
    One more thing.. I"ll let you know how the 5 Star "body shop" works.. Did a damned fool thing and backed into a pole on Saturday. Puckered my bumper cover--which popped right out--but not before crunching my tail light.. Frost this morning in the NE.. How's by you?
    jason,

i hadn't heard about the active intake thing. i doubt it would be noticeable on the 3.2l. anyway, gotta roll, i'm on vacation in boulder!!
    Enjoy and stay warm..
    Hey gang,

I made it back from Chicago in one piece. Ended up having to take the Intrepid after all. There was about a 2 hour wait at the rental car place, and I figured in that amount of time we could be out of Maryland.

Anyway, the Intrepid performed beautifully, averaging about 28 mpg over the 1600+ mile round trip. This included a lot of mountains in Pennsylvania and western Maryland, and, at one point, a one-hour delay on I-70 in Western Ohio while we sat in a construction zone waiting for an accident to be cleared. Lots of construction in Indiana too, and once we got into the Chicago area, the highways looked like a battlezone.

And for that whole 1600 mile trip at speeds easily up to 80-90+ (let's not talk about how much of a +) the car didn't burn a drop of oil. Oh yeah, I ended up not getting the motorhome. It just looked like it needed too much work, and I doubt it would have made the 800 mile trip back home without some complications. The temps had also gotten down to freezing, and the motorhome's heater didn't work, so that may have helped make my decision!!

It's good to be back!
    -Andre
    Does anyone know the correct torque setting for the lug nuts on a 99 Intrepid with the alloys? Thanks much.
  • 2kesfc2kesfc Member Posts: 1
    I have not posted for sometime now , 2 weeks ago I was involved in an accident ( 2k ES 4000miles )with extensive damage to the front end of my ES.Fortunately no injuries,but the airbages did not deploy.Both front fenders where pealed back to the front doors , hood folded , bumper ripped off,transaxle cracked and front right suspension torn from it mounts.I was to the shop yesterday and the car at this time has been entirly dismantled forward of the firewall,the estimate is at 9700.00 so far.The insurance company is now questioning as to why the bags did not deploy. The repair shop tells me that the insurance company may have him check to make sure the bags where installed.
    I've been using 90 ft lbs
    hey guys,

i have some good news and i have some bad news. i'm not sure if you all remember or not, but i'm a single guy who owns a y2k intrepid es and am also leasing a 99 4x4 ranger. well, the ranger lease is up on december 1st. and where i live almost "requires" that one own a 4x4 vehicle. i've been contemplating the need to scale back and go with one vehicle and that vehicle has to be 4 wheel drive, roomy and a box would be nice too. very few vehicles actually meet that criteria, except for the dakota quad cab and the f150 supercrew. i found the dakota to be a tad small for my liking, otherwise very nice. so, guess what? i'm trading the intrepid in on a supercrew. what is even stranger is that i'm not really a ford man! however the supercrew is a nice running, riding truck with a big backseat for hauling friends and the like. i'm trading the car in on thursday and will honestly miss it very much! whoever buys that car will definitely appreciate it! now, the ranger i won't miss one iota when it goes back off lease. it just doesn't measure up to the bigger trucks. anyway, i'll keep checking back in to see how everyone is doing from time to time. also need to keep tabs on the resident you know what...ciao and wish me luck!
  • roadwarroadwar Member Posts: 45
    The supercrew is a nice truck! Hope you enjoy it (Ithink you will). Keep in touch with with us.
    Kelly
  • fuzzer34fuzzer34 Member Posts: 28
    According to the 2000 service manual, tighten lug nuts in a cross pattern to 100 ft lbs(135Nm).

I know with allow wheels it pays to check regularly as they;re usually not tightened to well from the factory. Just my 2 cents.
  • bleugoosebleugoose Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please be patient. I just purchased a 2000 Base Intrepid with 25k miles. I've been very impressed with the styling, roominess and handling of the car. My one complaint, actually more of a concern, is that the engine makes a kind of whiny noise, similar to a loud power steering unit. Should I be concerned or is this normal? I heard/saw a later model Intrepid in the parking lot the other day, and it was making the same noise.
    Sorry you're losing the Intrepid, but good luck with the Supercrew. I'm anything but a Ford man myself, coming from a mainly GM family. (I bailed on GM in 1989 when I bought a used '69 Dart GT in college). But I have to admit, I like the new Ford pickups, especially the Supercrew.

I agree about the Dakota...I know they call it midsize, but to me it's still a little truck. We had a 1976 GMC Crew cab when I was a kid, though, so to me they're all little trucks!!

Anyway, don't be a stranger, and keep checking in!
    -Andre