Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    It's your car. If you like the feel of 35 PSI, run 35. You may have to replace them more often, but go with what you like.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Mark Salem does a pretty good radio show in the Phoenix and St. Louis markets.

http://www.salemboysauto.com/faqs/faq-44.htm

"How much air should I carry in my tires?

There are three different places tire inflation information can be found. Your owners manual will deal with proper tire inflation, there may be a tag describing proper tire inflation procedures in the drivers door area, either on the door or on the jamb or there is inflation information on the sidewall of the tire. Don’t be surprised if all three don’t match.

The inflation information on the tire will describe the maximum inflation of that tire cold. This is the most that tire should ever be aired to. The owners manual may describe a slightly lower inflation number. Anywhere in between will be fine for any car or SUV or light truck. But remember this:

Using the higher inflation numbers (35-44 psi) will keep the tire cooler, give you better fuel economy but you will sacrifice ride quality. The ride of the car will be harsher than with softer tire pressures.

Using the lower inflation numbers (28-35 psi) will give you a soft, smooth ride but your tires will run hotter and your fuel economy will be between 1-5% less than with fully inflated tires.

I always inflate my customers tires to the maximum inflation figure written on the side of their tire. The only exception is a "Z" rated high performance tire, like ones on a Corvette, Camaro, 300ZX. I do not inflate them to their maximum of 44 psi, but use 35 psi as our upper limit on these tires. Otherwise the ride is way too harsh.

Having posted this, I do think that his recommendations are on the high side. I personally like them at about 36 lb.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    On the sidewall, that's the max pressure the tire is designed to take. On the driver's door post or the fuel door (at least in my Jetta, it's on the fuel door) is where the proper PSI ratings are for the tires. But running close to that will make them comfortable to you. Just don't go too far away from the range (like +/- 5psi would be safe, I would assume).
  • phillyglsphillygls Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the information, it's very useful-especially the URL link. I found the relationship between the PSI and gas mileage helpful. I will ask the dealership about this and report back!
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Found what appears to be another relevant TSB about the 01 elantra 2nd to 3rd gear shift problem that some of us are experiencing.

TSB# 99-40-002, Issue Date MAR 99, Description A/T - 2 to 3 Gear Upshift Flare (96,97,98)
    Is there anyone out there who has a 97-98 Elantra that has has this problem and been able to get it fixed?
    If so what did the dealer do to fix the problem?
    Based on this TSB not showing up on the 99-01 model years you would get the impression that the TSB fixed the problem.
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    96-00 Elantras with automatic tranny share the same Beta engine(1.8 and 2.0) and transmission. '01 is an all-new model with an upgraded Beta and transmission.
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Thanks for the info.
    Where did you find this info about the transmissions being different between the model years?
    Since the 96-00 share the same transmission and TSB# 99-40-002 was only needed for the 96-98 years it looks like the shift flare problem was fixed in the 99 & 00 model years.
    It just seems to me that if they had this problem with a previous transmission and were able to resolve it, then it should be fairly easy to do it with the new transmission.
    Go to this site http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/default.asp and check the specs. pages.
  • seeker51seeker51 Member Posts: 3
    Is this normal? I get air from vents on floor or dash, even if fan is on 0 if i am driving, especially on freeway. It is heated air if i have temp on hot. the only way i have found to stop it is to hi the recirculate button, then i am ok
  • aquesadaaquesada Member Posts: 24
    do not worry, it is normal!
  • aquesadaaquesada Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the link! it's just great!
  • beeryr4beeryr4 Member Posts: 19
    The 2001 brochure lists a feature called "Rear heater vents". I picked up my 2002 GLS. I don't find anything like this on my 2002. Taking a closer look at 2002 brochure, they are not listed.

Is this something in the 2001 models that was dropped for 2002? If so, I wonder if it was to cut costs or did the vents not work well? Any thoughts from the 2001 GLS crowd?

I am pleased that the engine heats up quickly to provide warmth to the humans on board.
    For those who have Elantra's with ABS, I suggest you verify with your insurance agent that you get their ABS discount, assuming they have that discount.

When my agent entered my VIN into his computer, it did not list ABS. If I had not noticed that omission and had it corrected, I would not be getting the discount. His computer did show the dual air bags, so I got that discount.
    doesn't seem to be much air coming out of the passenger's side vent. Driver's side and center vent have a lot more output. Just my car or an overall problem?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If there are rear heat "vents" on the '02 Elantra, they would be ducts rather than vents and would be hidden by the front seats. Did you look under the front seats?
    I didn't look under the seats. It seems like the rear header ducts ran through the front doors. Or perhaps I'm remembering the Civic I test drove a couple months ago.
    where did he go?
  • urbanzephyrurbanzephyr Member Posts: 29
    It's urban, not bun. :-)

Hyundai makes the basic GT/color I desire about one out of 200 hundred. The cost of the shopping is getting out of hand.
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    According to Korean News Paper, Hyundai's strike is finally over. However, During the strike they lost lots of Money(about $700 million).

Also, dut to low exchange rate for Japanese Yens, Japanese Car price might be cheaper then Hyudai in US. So, Hyundai decided that if Japanese car price goes down, they'll cut the price, so the their car price can be lower than Japanese car's price.
  • jim7heaven7jim7heaven7 Member Posts: 25
    I recently heard that the Koreans strike every year at this time. I dont know if its true or not, I will have to do some research to find out, but supposedly they do it every year for about 3-4 days, kind of like a minny vacation.
  • exclusiveexclusive Member Posts: 2
    Have any of you had any problems with your struts on the '02 Elantra? I'm currently comparison shopping and I've narrowed my choices down to either the Elantra or the Nissan Sentra. Leaning towards the Elantra but then I read that some people were having problems with the struts (which in turn caused the tears to wear) and that some dealers were hesitant to fix the problem and pay for replacement tires. Any info you have is appreciated. Thanks!
    You may also ask, have any '01 Elantra owners had a problem (not many '02s out there yet with many miles, and the '01s and '02s likely have the same struts). I've been following this board for 18 months and don't recall any discussion of strut problems. Would you mind sharing with us where you heard of the strut problem? There are no recalls or TSBs in this area yet.
  • exclusiveexclusive Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I actually meant '01. Guess I typed '02 because that's the model I'm interested in. Anyway, I read the comment about the struts here on edmunds in one of the consumer comments, not the message board. But since there are no recalls or TSBs for them, I'll take it as an isolated incident. Thanks for the info.
  • buoyantbuoyant Member Posts: 128
    I just got back from the Hyundai dealer today after closing the deal on a '02 Elantra 5spd with package 4 (in the champagne color I can't say "no" to). I think I got a pretty good deal since I annoyed the hell out of both the finance guy and the salesperson.

It came out to $200 over invoice, less the rebate of $500 ($300 under "invoice", but what the dealer really made on the sale I'll never know). Said no to extended warranties (ten years isn't good enough?) and add-ons.

I worked my way through several car dealerships falling in love - for a period - with the Jetta wagon (turbocharged 1.8, of course), but finally came back to the Elantra. While it doesn't compare well to a $23,000 Jetta, it does compare VERY WELL to every car I looked at under $16K. It is just an amazing car for $13,000.

Drove it back to back against a Mazda Pro 5 and actually came out preferring the Elantra (interior was much nicer on the Pro, but that baby was as loud as a Kenworth and the stereo just plain stunk). $3,800 more for a Pro? Not for me.

I can't wait until I pick my new Elantra up tomorrow. I'm very excited to be a Hyundai owner (man, I can't believe I just said that...this could take some getting used to).

Rock on fellow Elantra owners!

And thank you for all the advice I've received from owners on this site.
  • smiller678smiller678 Member Posts: 64
    Hi,

Has anyone here gone from either a 01, 02 GLS to a GT. I am thinking about maybe trading my 01 GLS for a 02 GT. I was wondering for those who did this what they think. Was it worth it. Are they quite a bit different as far as cornering and hard driving. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn
  • therhinotherhino Member Posts: 21
    Hey Shawn. Actually we bought an 01 GLS about ten months ago then bought a 2001.5 GT about five months ago. We still have both cars. I like both cars a lot, but I think the GT gives you more style and convenience with the hatch, alloys, 4 wheel discs, etc. However in your case, you will probably be taking a serious hit on the trade-in because of new car depreciation. You will have to look at how much it is really going to cost you. As far as the way the cars handle, to me they are very similar, except my GT does have the same suspension as the GLS (comfort suspension) and the GLS is an automatic while the GT I have is a stick shift. Unfortunately my wife kept mentioning how she thought my GT was so much nicer than her GLS, so I finally gave in and traded her cars. I would trade in the GLS for another GT, but I don't want it to cost me 3 or 4 grand more! Good luck with your decision...
    I will tell you from experience, you do NOT wanna trade in a car that's about a year old. I traded my 2001 Protege with 20K (8 months old) and took a big hit in depreciation. It's not worth it to do that. Just hold on to the car for another year or so, and the loan/trade-in value should even out. But keep in mind, Hyundais don't hold their value well (I don't know why, but they don't- no Korean car does actually), so you might still not be "even" after year 2 or 3 of your loan.
    Anyone have an older (1994) Elantra? I was thinking of buying one with 68K on it as a commuter car, and it's only like $1000. The title is clean too (I Carfaxed it). What do you all think?
    I don't recommend it unless it's guranteed that the timing belt and ATF has been changed according to the service schedule. In other words, don't buy it if you don't know the service history.
    Just picked up my new Elantra from Metro Hyundai in Bloomington, MN this morning and I LOVE IT.

I love the looks outside, but the interior fabric may take a little getting used to. But, oh...is it quiet. Even quieter on the highway than the 2002 Honda Accord EX 5spd I drove last week.

It's simply an amazing car for the price. And I'd recommend the factory sunroof (option package 4, I believe) to anyone - a very slick, well-finished and noise-free device.

Vocus: Personally, I wouldn't buy a '94 Hyundai, but then again, there are much worse ways to spend $1000. My home stereo equipment cost me more than that. Even if that car exploded tomorrow, you'd only be out $1000. So long as you aren't expecting that car to be the zenith of reliability, it's probably not a bad move.

I used to have class with a guy who'd always tell me how he'd buy older cars from private parties and sell them a couple years later for the same price. Whenever he had a problem, he'd have the service work done at a community college by auto mechanic trainees. This guy was cheap, but I always thought his "system" made a lot of sense - especially if you're looking for a second car/cheap transportation.
  • smiller678smiller678 Member Posts: 64
    Hi Therhino,

Thanks for your opinion on going from the GLS to GT. I guess you have the best of both worlds. You have both cars! Anyway, I know I will take a hit in trading in my car if I should get a GT. Trade in value for Hyundais are really bad.

Hi Vocus,

I had a 95 Elantra before my 01 GLS and it was a great car. I bought it used with 8K miles and had 75K miles when I got my 01 GLS. The dealer only wanted to give me $1200.00 for trade in so I sold it to my sister who loves the car. Anyway, I only ha 2 problems with my 95 Elantra. Ocygen sensor went out and one of the plastic vents broke. All covered under warranty. Only other things was routine maintenance.

Shawn
    I would be using the car to drive about 500 or so miles a week, commuting on (mostly) highway. I thought it was a good deal for only like $1100 or so, especially considering it's only got 68,000 miles on it.
    I normally get the timing belt changed anyway, just as a precaution. Would also change transmission fluid. I don't think $1100 is much of a risk, one of the benefits of steep depreciation. You should always pay a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection, or take to a AAA testing center.
    I have to have the car inspected here in Md. anyway, but can't do it before I get the car. I am getting it off EBay. The bid went up to $1325 though, and the car is only KBBed at $1400. Much higher, and I will not be biting.
    I've always found KBB to be unrealistically high, compared to Edmunds and NADA. I think they're primarily for slapping an unrealistically high valuation sticker on a car you offer yourself (or donate). I always use Edmunds when I'm buying.

I did put the 94 Elantra into AutoTrader. Nationally there are 79 cars for sale ranging from $1025 to $6995. The average offering price is $3088. What kind of a dealer would even have the gall to ask $6995 for an 8 year old Elantra with 56K? It's Prospect Mitsubishi Hyundai Izuzu Kia of Champaign Illinois. I'm going to run right out and test drive it....
    That is too funny about the 1994 you found. :) This one is creeping too high for me. I think $1300 is too high, especially since the car isn't inspected. Forget that.

I ran my old car (a 2001 Protege ES w/20K on it) through KBB.com. They told me the car was worth $10,715 back in November, and it had a cracked windshield and a couple of scratches on it (one really bad one on the front). I traded it in on a 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T, and the dealer gave me $11,500 for the car. I was shocked! :) Also traded a 1999 Protege DX on the 2001 when I got it. KBB said $7500 for it with 38K, and that's what I got for it. So KBB is okay sometimes.
    Vocus, what did you pay for the Jetta turbo?

When I was looking at a GLS 1.8T wagon with lux package, I noticed window sticker was a $2,000+ mark-up over invoice (NOT including any holdbacks).

A dealer will have a LOT more wiggle room on the trade-in value if the customer is paying window for the car, particularly a car with a lot of dealer margin like the turbo VW.

That said, the 1.8T is still a bargain IMO (so long as you can afford the higher ins, repair costs and premo fill-ups - VW costs of ownership are no bargain). It drives like an mini-Audi (which is understandable since the powertrain has been pilfered from the Audi line-up). On the minus side, 90mph was FAR too smooth in that car and came much too quickly (can we say ticket time?).

You must possess a lot of self restraint in a car like that to avoid getting raped by the State Farm agent. Good luck.
  • pewter2002pewter2002 Member Posts: 9
    I thought I'd toss in my own experience on this subject. First,
    I do not agree with some reviews that indicated the engine was "a bit busy"
    at 70 mph? Whaaaaa? No, not even close. My "02 Elantra cruises smoothly and quietly at 3100 rpms doing 70 mph. At 80 mph still pretty quiet at around 3400 rpms. I have slide up to 90 mph while day-dreaming
    on the interstate and was unaware because there was no obvious indication... reving sounds to clue me in. All this was in 5th gear with
    a manual, so I can't speak for anyone's experiences with the auto.
    This car is very quiet at high speeds for it's class, not luxury car quiet,
    but remarkable for a 4-banger in this price range. I'm constantly surprised by the solid quality of this car,and
    don't regret my decision to buy for a minute.
    I've driven both the 5-speed and the automatic (I own a 5-speed, and have rented automatics), and the automatic is even quieter, at least up to 80 (no experience beyond that). Engine noise while cruising is definitely not an issue with the '01-'02 Elantras.
    My friend Bradley's '01 GT is what first got me thinking about buying an
    Elantra this year. I live in central Ca, Fresno, and we get scorching temperatures 5 months of the year...so, I don't do dark leather. I stick to it readily and have been burned while wearing shorts or tank-tops. Still, I like leather when the weather is mild. I liked other things about the GT as well. I don't find the driving experience that different, and neither do most people I talk to between the GLS and GT. The GT feels a tad sportier,especially in the corners. The GLS feels a tad smoother generally. All this is related to the difference in the suspension. I simply leather-wrapped the wheel in my GLS myself, added removeable leather seat pads, security system, fog lights and JVC
    CD player. Other than the leather-wrapping, I had everything installed professionally and the total came to $600. I saved money
    by buying the GLS and just adding to it. Some people really want the hatchback though, for the convenience, and you can't argue with that. I like the look of both models,
    prefering the GLS slightly, but not by much.
    My insurance is like $236 a month with State Farm actually. I live in Baltimore, Md., am 23, and have a point for speeding. No tickets yet with the Jetta turbo though, but I have had it up to 115 mph and it felt like 70-80. :) I was on a deserted road and "pushed" the car to see what it could do, so no one else was in danger but me. Anyway, I paid $700 under MSRP for my Jetta turbo back in November. It's a 2002 Tiptronic with Sport Luxury Pkg., Monsoon, and leather seats. They tried MSRP with me, but it wasn't happening. I paid $250 under INVOICE for my last car (2001 Protege ES auto. w/Premium Pkg. in 2/01) so I know how to deal. :)

I do have to have restraint in the car when on the highway. I have glanced down a couple times, and realized I was going 85-95 mph and it felt like 50. :) The turbo is a good engine, I only pay $1.15 a gallon for premium gas in Baltimore, and it's definitely a nice ride.

Now if I could just get the service dept. to find the two rattles I have, the car would be perfect. :)
    I went with the Elantra because of its quietness.

Was VERY tempted by the Pro 5 (looks, interior, handling, 3.9% financing and college grad rebate), but it was just too dang noisy. Cruising across Montana on the Interstate at 85 in one of those babies would truly be a masochistic event. Combine all that noise with a real downer of a stereo, and the Elantra was an easy choice.

While the 6 speaker system in my Elantra isn't an audiophile's delight, the rear speakers are properly placed for decent imaging in the rear deck (NOT the rear doors like the Pro 5 and nearly every other new small car I drove). I never have to crank it up full blast to drown out road noise.

Of special mention: the 5spd manual Elantra is one of the most pleasurable sticks I've ever driven (the throws are a bit long, but it's a cinch to drive smoothly - the clutch and linkage are perfect). Hyundai deserves real praise for producing such a nice transaxle.
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    Where did you buy fog lights for your Elantra?
    And How much did you pay for them?
    Absolutely no complaints. Two oil changes at Wal-Mart x $11.99, plus the lifetime rotation/balance for $7.99 a tire. That's been it. Mileage has increased to about 26-27 combined. Average above 30 on the highway.

Love this car, best I've ever owned (so far).
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming--all current generation Elantra owners! As I've said on various boards a few times before, I'll be trading my 1995 Sephia next year. I think I'm going to delay my trade from the spring to the fall for a couple of reasons. One big reason is to check out long term reliability of cars like the Elantra. My Sephia runs fine, so a few more months won't hurt anything. The Elantra seems to have more than what I need at the best price--but it doesn't have the long term reliability yet. The posts from people who have 1000 miles with no problems are fine--but the 10,000-plus mile reviews are where the weight is. Thanks again!
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    we drove one for 9 days when our sonata was in garage for wreck this past march. We drove approx 1000 miles, and it had 15,000+ miles on the vehicle, an '01. N ice car, just made a noise when cold,at first.

We'll most likely get the next Gen Elantra after we make say another 30 payments on SOnata(or until they pay it off whenwe do a trade in). This is unless Hyudnai brings ou another vehicle for $13-15grand, that rocks.
    PS< the Matrix(Hyudaniee.net?) is cool, but the LOOKS need sprucing up..it is on elantra frame and engine...like a mini-minivan.
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    I may be a little slanted in opinion because i'm only 22. But I actually like the way there is a different exaust note above 4500 rpms when I punch the gas. Its a little bit of a racy ricer sound but not too much. I was going to replace my exaust but want to keep it because of the special flap inside (which supplies the difference in exaust note) now I just have to find a set of tips that fit under my damn bumper
  • jeromeh1jeromeh1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 1997 Elantra with 89,000 km (54,000 miles). I didn't get the car's history, so I don't know what service it's had. I had the oil changed, the transmission fluid changed and the spark plugs changed. When the car is cold it shifts funny-2nd to 3rd mainly. I try to warm it up when I have time(when it's warm it shifts fine). It's been cold here lately-(-20 C or about -10 F). I sometimes start the car with the gear shift in second and then pop it into third-this keeps it from reving or whatever when it shifts into third. Is this a good idea? Is the problem serious? My gut feeling tells me that the transmission is not toast - just funny shifting.
    I was initially interested in acquiring the "korean" fog lights...
    factory type, from Sharkracing.com for $85.00, but they wouldn't take my Discover card...all my other cards were nearly maxed out from X-MAS!
    So, got some fog lights made by Sirius, which cost me $41.00. They are amber and seem to do the job.
    I had them installed locally for a
    bargain price of $45.00, which brought the whole project up to the price of the "factory" lights. I found a few places on the web for Sirius lights, searching on Yahoo
    under "Sirius fog lights" I believe,
    or something similar. Otherwise, just go to Sharkracing.com and get the factory look the GT' have...about
    $185.00 installed here in Central Ca.