Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo C70

Comments

• Options
    dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    Damaged C70:

If has had a salvaged title, I would not touch it. I suspect there was more than just the replacement of a rear clip. Most salvaged vehicles need close to 80% of their pre-accident value in repairs. My wife drives a 99 C70 convertible, and one of the things we agreed when she bought it (new) was if it was ever in a serious, or semi-serious accident (regardless of whether it was totaled) we would replace it. I worked in a dealership in high school and in college and feel that a car that needs significant structural work will never be the same. That goes double for a convertible. Ask a Ford body shop tech about how the convertible Mustangs they repair drive after they need extensive work. I also think 30k is way too much for that car with a salvaged title. Some of the dealers around here (Dallas/Fort Worth) are advertising similar cars (that have not been in an accident, but have approx. 12k miles) for about the same price.
  • Options
    thecougarthecougar Member Posts: 7
    Purchased a new fully loaded (cold weather package,Grand Touring package, Stability traction control package,17" Canisto wheels),HPT Venetian Red coupe 12-29-00 for about $38.5k USD (Northern California) MSRP was $39325, I offered about 3% profit over his cost & it was eagerly accepted.
    A lovely car BUT lst 3 months were hell! The windshield was improperly installed, was in to the dealer 6 times before it was fixed properly, each time returned with grease on seats, coffee spilt on console, fingerprints everywhere, scuff marks on door kick panels, just awful, service dept did not return phone calls, buying a first new car in your life (NEVER AGAIN!) and spending the first 3 months in cheap rental cars and trying to get Service Dept to return calls.

I bought this car based on my experience with my '91 740 but the difference is chalk and cheese,
    my faith in Volvo has been shaken badly but now I have a full payment book. Resale value of the C70 is a joke (I already knew this but decided to buy it anyway) and believe its problems are now finally sorted out, the turbo is worth it for high speed passing, the ride is good, side & rear visibility is awful, front legroom is not the best for me (I am 5'11") the steering wheel feels perfect and the dash and instruments are done logically and and totally visible and user friendly, but I have some severe reservations about build quality and durability of this car
    based on my experience so far. My feeling now is I will never buy another new Volvo and probably never a new car, ever again, and who could blame me? It has 1600 miles on it at this point.
  • Options
    schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Thecougar:

Perhaps you should move more east. Don't seem to be as many problems over here. They must have done something to the interior of the car over the last year as I am 6'1" and have no problems with legroom, rear or side visibility.
  • Options
    jcarpijcarpi Member Posts: 17
    I'm sorry you've got a lemon dealer. I really don't think it's the car so much as total incomptence and sloppiness at your dealer. Can you find some other dealer nearby? My dealer is outstanding, provides free rental car while working on the car, free car wash after service, and never a spot on the inside. That's the type of service you should expect when you pay that kind of money for a car, and you deserve it. Complain to the sales manager, then to the area supervisor for Volvo. If necessary, keep complaining until they provide you the service you should expenct from a quality car dealer.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more with the above statement. I went to the Chicago Car show when I was debating about the S4 and C70 and the Chicago dealer that was at the show was a total turn off. I ended up buying the car 30 miles away in the suburbs (which for Chicago is about a 15 hour drive) because the dealers out there fought so hard for your business. I think that it is as equally important to scope out a dealer after you have made a decision on the car you are buying.
  • Options
    jkjohnson6jkjohnson6 Member Posts: 2
    He folks, I'm new to the list and a proud owner of a new Black I/beige top, beige leather, 5spd.

I really like the car, made the decision over the Audio TT Roadster also, Audio S4 both were also manual tarns.

Does anyone have insight on Volvo Dealers in Houston...Service experiences?

Also, I would love any direction on performance modifications to the C70 to increase handling and horsepower

Thanks

C70 BB-5
  • Options
    tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,243
    Really depends on where you live. DeMontrond on North I-45, Nils Seflet(sp)on I-10 West, Momentum on 59 South, Star Motors on Old Katy Road, and Volvo of Clear Lake on I-45 South. I'm on the northside and use DeMontrond. Have had no problems and they're open on Saturday for Volvo service.
  • Options
    duleyduley Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 c-70 convertible with 17" Pirelli 6000's. At 20 mph the tires send a deep vibration thou the car that actually rattles dash parts. It smooths out nicely until 60mph when it comes back and builds to a noise level so that you can't hear the radio or carry on a conversation in the car with the top up. Thankfully it is more noise than vibration at 60-65, but it is at a point where the dash now rattles from the 20 mph vibration and my ears won't take going 60 or more. Anyone else have this problem with their tires or car?
  • Options
    quikstyle1quikstyle1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm on the verge of buying a 1998 HT Coupe (Gorgeous car with 24K miles). I'm hoping someone can provide some insight into the durability of these turbos. Does anyone know the typical life expectancy of them, or are they not usually a problem?

Also, any particulars to look out for before buying the car?

Thanks-
  • Options
    shelgershelger Member Posts: 2
    I am also buying a 98 I 70. The turbot is not running all of the time so it should have a
    life comparable to the major engine components.
    Scab has been making turbot for years and they last forever. I'm curious; what is the price of the 98 you are buying?
  • Options
    Duley, I have the same tires on my 99 C70 convertible, and have noise too, but not the severity of yours. Mine stops around 20-25 MPH. It's most noticeable when slowing, kinda like a low roar. Above 25MPH I don't hear it, and there's no vibration. What is your mileage? When new there was no noise, but the noise started around 10k. Dealer said it was tire noise from wear, but he replaced the wheel bearings while in for the 15k check up, but it didn't really help, so I assume it is the tires. Your noise appears to be something different. Would think a visit to your dealer is in order, and definitely have them ride with you. Tmart
  • Options
    duleyduley Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply tmart. I have just passed the 10000 mile mark. The noise is getting progressively worse. Like yours mine stops at about 25mph but then comes back at 65. I want to avoid having the dealer tear the car apart looking for a problem when it is the tires. If you run the car on grass you get no noise at 20mph. At any rate- I am going to the dealer this week and hopefully they will offer a solution, even if it means prorating a new set of a different type of tire.
  • Options
    Gentlemen:

Have not researched it but I think I recall a couple of posts back that the Pirelli's were succeptible to (forgive the golf terminoligy) getting 'out of round' if they sat for extended periods. My tires have been wonderful and have been through a lot given all the Chicago Pot Holes. I'll take a look at them and let you know what kind they are.
  • Options
    quickstyle1quickstyle1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking we'll settle at $27,500 or so. And you?
  • Options
    shelgershelger Member Posts: 2
    I am hoping not to go over $25,000.
  • Options
    deborahn1deborahn1 Member Posts: 3
    My local dealer only stocks the HPT C-70 convertible which I felt that I had to floor to get moving. Another dealer suggested the LPT as a better alternative for city driving. I'm coming off a lease on a V-8 SUV, so have forgotten what a car is supposed to drive like.

Also, anyone have experience with Volvo. dealerships in Englewood, NJ, Manhattan, or Nyack?
  • Options
    deborahn1deborahn1 Member Posts: 3
    Also, what is current pricing?I saw someone posted $38.5 back ii December. The best price for the HPT with the two options (cold weather and stereo)_ is about $44,500
  • Options
    Sorry.
    Almost forgot. The tires that I have are the Michelin's and I think they are called the "SX" or something like that (have to look again). It is my understanding that the Pirelli's are a bit soft and can get 'out of round' if they sit long enough. I have 20,000 on the 2000 and it does sit in the garage for several days (sometimes a whole week). Add to that the Chicago Pot holes and I am thrilled with these tires and their durability. Plus they still stick on those 55 mph 90 degree turns. Have only gotten them to squeal once on a turn and that was a small chirp.

Convertible:
    Sounds like 44K is a pretty fair price for an HPT.
  • Options
    brunejebruneje Member Posts: 13
    I finally had my summer's put on last week for the first time (2000 HPT Coupe)on the car I just purchased,what a difference from the snows, and it does really hold the road and the "propus" rims add incredibly to the look of the car. When I picked up the car I was surprised that the tires were Michelin's, because of the talk on this forum I presumed that the original tires were Pirelli's. Good to hear that you have 20000 miles on them and that the tread is still good. I know this is hard to say, but how much tread to you believe is left in mileage. Also you were saying it spends a lot of time in the garage, is that your garage, or the dealership?
  • Options
    We do mostly highway driving but I am assuming that I have probably another 20k to 30k left on the treads. Although thanks for asking, I should check those. I'm a big fan of Michelins as I used to have a 73 TR6 and those old Michelin Red Lines were the one thing on the car that worked consistently. In fact, they outlasted the car (which isn't a big surprise given that it was a TR6).

Don't know if I should dignify the Garage question. As we live in the city we only use the car for shopping and going out to the suburbs (gotta love Pub trans in Chicago). The car has stayed in the CONDO GARAGE all week and may go out this weekend depending on what we are going to do.
  • Options
    Michelin PILOT SF (Took the car out again last night so wanted to make sure I got it right). Also (sarcastically) the great thing about these tires is if they see one snow flake coming down the car will start to fishtail all over the place. Bruneje: I wish I had two sets of tires like you do. Maybe next year.
  • Options
    In case anyone cares...

I found these today which are the exact same ones I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=585048278

• Options
    brunejebruneje Member Posts: 13
    I was away , that was a great deal on those 17 in tires and rims at ebay, schuhc Volvo here have a fall special, 4 Gislaved snows (they are excellent) on steel rims, bal. for $800.00 CDN, with my last Volvo, I had snows on steel rims, and they are worth the money, better traction, less abuse of your summers and those alloy rims
  • Options
    Thanks for the snow tire input.
  • Options
    dash800dash800 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Volvo. lovers/drivers.

I'm looking to trade in my 2000 WV Passats I came across what looks to be a great deal. It's a red 1998 C70 with an auto. transmission and 16,111 miles for $19,995. It's not a convertible.

I do intend to see/test drive soon, but I have learned that it has a salvage title on it.

Opinions and advice please.
  • Options
    See posts 401-403 above.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If a '98 C70 was totalled, that means essentially that the damage exceeded 80% of the cars total value at the time of the accident. It probably sustained $20,000 in estimated damages.

Do the math...this car was probably hurt pretty badly.

Also, it's not a good deal at all. This is a $22K-23K retail car with a clean title.

Salvage cars can be all right if you buy them cheap enough, but you are not buying anything of value here.

The car is worth maybe $10,000-12,000 at best. I wouldn't even consider it.
  • Options
    vigorous1vigorous1 Member Posts: 15
    You'd need a head-check to buy a new one and a fix-up list if you bought second hand after reading this:

"Volvo promises action after German breakdown survey

Volvo's reputation for producing reliable cars has been hit by a survey of a 1.6 million breakdowns.

The report, which documents cars which broke down on German motorways last year, places Volvo in fourth position for having the most breakdowns.

The only cars to place worse than Volvo models were Renault's Espace, Fiat's Bravo, Brava and Marea, and Opel's Omega. The company has promised action.

The 850, S70, V70 and C70 series were the most likely of the Volvos to experience some kind of problem.

The survey was carried out by the respected German automobile organisation Adac, and only included cars between the ages of four and six years old.

Volvo spokesman, Olle Axelsson, told the Sydsvenska Dagbladet newspaper: "The truth is that we have not concentrated on quality the past few years, but we will now analyse and correct the problems."

Last updated: 09:59 Sunday 13th May 2001

http://www.ananova.co.uk/news/story/sm_291074.html?menu=news.surveys

For the kind of money you need to shell out for a Volvo, who needs this kind of rap?

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well, that story is a bit of fluff, isn't it? Not many details. It's worse than USA today (no, wait, that's a terrible thing to say...I retract that).

As you well know, I am no big believer in the reliability of Swedish cars, because I never saw any conclusive proof of it. The historical out of warranty data suggests average grades at best, and legend often supercedes fact. I might also add however that one of my all time honor roll favorite cars is a certain type of Volvo.

But in Volvo's defense, I must say that this is JUST the kind of thing the Germans would publish, after all...you have to consider the source. But let's put cynicism to rest for a second and presume it is impartial. In that case, I'd like to see the report of what constitutes a 'breakdown". Does a flat count? A broken windshield? Are all breakdowns reported? On all roads? New and used cars? Up to what age? From all countries or just German registrations?

Conclusion: Clapped out Fiats driven by Turkish factory workers termporarily on visa in Germany break down more than one year old Mercedes Benzes! Hey, revelation!
  • Options
    vigorous1vigorous1 Member Posts: 15
    You must be American.

If the Brits write an article and call the German testing agency a reliable and responsible one (As I recall, their description was even more complimentary than this) and the Germans are building cars all over the world just like Americans are building cars all over the world, then, in my opinion, a German testing agency carries as many professional-minded people as any from any nation anywhere, nationality be-damned.

Sure, there are autopublications in nation-states whose chief aim in life is to promote the home team. One of them (from Germany) recently reported that Volvo and Saab were doomed. I don't take this Adac institution one to be one of them.

Although their website is not written in English, I took a bit of a tour and it is quite complex.

AAA named the Saab 9-5 the best wagon in 1999 and in 2000, named the 9-5 the best car in the $30K price range. Did they do this becasue GM owns Saab or did they do this because they had objective criteria against which the Saab actually was the best in those categories?

Is everyone who writes for the automobile industry a biased liar?
  • Options
    wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    "Is everyone who writes for the automobile industry a biased liar? "

No but it seems that if they disagree with you, they are.

Everybody has bias. Even you! :::Shock:::

The fact that automotive journalists use different sources of imformation is not lying though. It is called arguing for a point. They have a point to make, so they use sources of information that support their point and disregard opposing views. Its not lying.

Want me to show you how its done? Probably even subconsciously...

You post information in post#430 from ADAC, supporting your point. Without reference again to ADAC, you go on to say that AAA rates the 9-5 as the best wagon/car. You supported your point with praise and downplayed the competition with bad reports. Biased? Yes. Lying? no.
  • Options
    I love mine. So Vigorous1 can talk all he likes.
    It has yet to break down.
    What exactly does vigorous1 drive and why is he thinking Mr. Shiftright is American?

We know the answer to the first part of the question, as well as all the jokes about leaving it in the driveway during trash day and why that is dangerous.
  • Options
    So. I've gone back and looked at a couple of "vigorous1's" posts.
    1) Turns out he drives a 4-door Saab 93. So I must admit that I don't understand why he would be posting stuff on the C70 board as, unless it's a Viggen, it is only 4 doors and is underpowered and basically a sesible car that is priced sensibly (however he did take an X5 and a Maxima off the line which must have been a real thrill).
    2) Turns out that he likes to go after our host Mr. Shiftright because I have noticed that he has done that on some other posts as well. Mr. Shiftright probably took the billboard handle that he wanted so now it's payback time.
    3) Evidently he is well-read as he has not only quoted AAA and ADAC on this post but also JD Powers and I think I even saw the National Enquirer on previous posts (however I could be wrong).
    4)In post #430, it shows that the only cars that were included in the study were cars between 4-6 years old. First C70 to come out recently was in 98. hmmmm. Also, who believes that any company spokesman would say they "have not concentrated on quality" in recent years.
    5) Kind of related to 'vigorous1', but I went hunting on the web today and saw a lot of websites that looked 'quite complex' so I am going to scour them (even if they are not in English) and see if there is anything on there that will tell me cool stuff. Because, as we all know, the more complex a Web-Site, the more credibility they have!!!

In conclusion...
    Perhaps 'vigorous1' should stay on posts that have more in common with his interests. Saabs, Gremlins, Pacers....
  • Options
    spitzayasuckspitzayasuck Member Posts: 4
    I was looking at the C70 but decided on the 325Ci, my car only has 184 horses compared to the 236 of the C70, but the curb weight of C70 as well as the 4 thousand dollar difference decided the matter for me
  • Options
    Anyone had problems with the sun visors on the convertible? During the past 9 months, both have had to be replaced, first the passenger side and then the drivers side. The shafts next to the rear view mirror cracked. Tmart
  • Options
    bbermudabbermuda Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 C70 Cabrio has only 18k miles. The car developed a high speed shimmy. The dealer said I needed new tires. I have replaced three of the four 17" Pirelli 6000s. Car still vibrates. First the dealer said I need new rims and tires. Now the dealer says the Pirellis are out of round due to poor quality control. I will try to get Pirelli to replace.
    Anyone having similar problems?
  • Options
    Bern, see replies 2 & 3 to your original post on the other board. Tmart
  • Options
    soledocsoledoc Member Posts: 52
  • Options
    I just took delivery of my new 2001 nautic blue/beige leather inerior 5 speed C70. It looks absolutely gorgeous and I have loved the 1st two weeks. I'm sure nobody else in town (Indianapolis) has one like this. One problem....my check engine light just came on today. 530 miles. What's up with that?? Engine sounds fine. Looks OK at a glance under the hood (I'm no mechanic). Checked the gas cap and retightened it and the light's still on. I just traded in my wife's 1998 S70 and it had all sorts of problems with the electrical system and I know it was recalled several times as was the C70 (even the 2001) for electrical problems. I hope that's all it is and not the engine. I love the car but I am not too thrilled about taking it to the dealer during the third week of owning the car. Anybody else have any experience with this or suggestions? Is this a bad omen????
  • Options
    Soledoc:

Chances are that it was the gas cap. Take it in, they'll hook it up and reset it. This happened to me once. If it happens again, chances are that it is with the seal on the cap and you may need a new one.

If my dad is correct, yours probably is the only one in Indpls. When we drive down there to visit we don't even see any coupes on the road and one of my dad's friends doesn't even know what the coupe looks like.
  • Options
    Well, I got my car back today from the dealer and he said he found nothing wrong with the engine. Gas cap seemed tight to them. They reset the light and that was it. I'll keep an eye on the seal on the cap. I sure was glad to get back in my C70 after driving a Ford Focus the dealer gave me....geez...they couldn't even give me a Volvo (or Porsche,Audi,Land Rover,Jaguar as this dealer has all of these). Oh well....I'm happy again.
  • Options
    Ford Focus!!!!!!
    Geeez. Now that's a machine! Bet you looked really proud tooling around I-465 with that monster of a car.
  • Options
    Guess what??? My check engine line came on again. 2nd time in the first 1,000 miles. I am pissed. I have to go in to the dealer, make an appointment, get a rental car (probably another Ford Focus) for the day all for a stupid light. I don't understand why Volvo has this problem. Anybody else having this problem. I'm ready to turn this car in!!
  • Options
    Have only had one check engine light issue and when we brought it in they replaced a sensor and that is the end of it. On the loaner note, if you are being serviced by a Volvo dealer I believe they are required by Volvo to have VOLVO'S for their loaner program if you are in for scheduled service (and an appointment is made) or you are in for warranty work. Sounds like you are getting the short end on that one. It's funny, because everytime my wife brings her convertible in they give her a new wagon and she complains about it. I joked with the service adviser yesterday when we were having the headlight/turn signal/wiper arm recall done that he should give her a S40 next time and she will begin to appreciate the wagon. Maybe I should send her to your dealer once and put an end to the complaining once and for all? I would call Volvo regional or national about the loaner issue to at least eliminate that headache. You may also have a dealer more intent on cutting their costs than providing service, in which case you might get your check engine light issues addressed in a better fashion by another Volvo dealer is you have one nearby.
  • Options
    Bill, I see you have a 99 C70 convertible. I do too. Have you had any problems with your sun visors? I've had to have both replaced due to the shafts near the rear view mirror breaking. Have not had the check engine problem like you and soledoc. I did have a problem with the low coolant light about a year ago. After two visits back to the dealer, a sensor was replaced which seemed to correct the problem, but it's coming back on. Hit the brakes and it goes off. Seems like the sensor(float) gets stuck causing the light to come on. As loaners go, I've always received a Volvo, usually a S40. Tmart
  • Options
    No visor problems, although I did see an earlier post about them, might have been yours. I was almost hoping to get the driver's visor replaced under warranty so I could upgrade it to add the homelink. I priced the new visor myself, and confimed the change could be made, but for the cost of the visor, for now my wife will carry a garage door opener. No other real problems with the car that I can recall. (The rear window velcro had to be glued back to the window last year, but that's about it.) It's got approx. 26k miles and we took delivery January 1999. We were waiting for the convertibles to come in to take a look at one, it was the first one in our area and my wife fell in love with it. (It did not help that our Honda had been rearended two days before the car came it). It's Nautic Blue with tan top. We drove it home that day and left the wrecked Honda as the trade-in. It actually made settling up with the other driver easier as we were forced to "sell the car due to the extensive damage". Great car, the kids love it, my wife loves the way it looks and drives, and I really enjoy it when I'm permitted to drive it.
  • Options
    dfwk2500:

In Indianapolis there usually aren't many Volvos lying around on lots. Unfortunately for Soledoc he is stuck with one of the following...
    Ford Focus
    1977 Chevy Nova
    1985 Firebird/Camaro with rust on the rear wheel-wells.
    It's actually pretty good considering that Northern Indiana fights for how many horses they get to pull the buggy around.

Soledoc:
    Raise some hell at that dealership and tell them to fix it once and for all. I don't know if you can claim 'lemon law' or not. It's a great car other than that darn engine light.
  • Options
    Well....I go my check engine light turned off again. They said the gas cap wasn't on correctly. The service manager personally showed me how to properly do it. You must turn in 1.5 times before it clicks and then it can click once or 100 times...it doesn't matter after the first click. He said that should take care of it. They wanted to charge me $29 for that!!! I said ##%$^%@$%@!#%$ that!!! They promptly removed the charge. As I'm sure you're all wondering what loaner car I got....a Chevy S10 pickup! I guess that's better than the Ford Focus, but it's still no Volvo. I did contact Volvo and they do NOT have a policy of loaning Volvos when in for service. So far I'm not very happy with my dealership. I had no problems with my last car, a SAAB.
    Now that I know how to put this gas cap on I hope my engine light stays off!!!
    Also, what do you all think about waiting until 7,500 miles until the first scheduled oil change. That's what the dealer is recommending.
  • Options
    Glad you engine light problem was corrected, but sorry about the loaner. Come to Houston, my dealer has Volvos. My C70 goes in tomorrow for the light/wiper recall, but I'm going to wait for it. Was told it takes less than an hour. They're also going to check out my low coolant light. After replacing the sensor about a year ago, it's coming back on again. Same as last time, coolant tank is full and if the brakes are tapped, the light goes out. Tmart
  • Options
    Can't believe that they actually were going to charge you!!!! I think that I had my oil changed @ 5,000 and then have done it every 3,000 since. I would think that you're not going to hurt anything if you have it changed earlier than 7500.
    While you may not have had the problems with the Saab before, you have to admit that you must feel a bit more comfortable about leaving the Volvo in the driveway during trash day. I'm willing to bet that you had to put the Saab in the garage on those days.