Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• hoehnjchoehnjc Member Posts: 41
    Here is what I would do. Check the Pacific BMW web site or any other that offers BMW CD changers to compare the applicability for 3 series vs 5 series. If the part number is the same for both, then they will work. I THINK I recall seeing diferent style changer for the 5 vs. 3 trunk mounts but not positive. That would answer your question about transfering your changer. Pacific BMW has one of the best prices for changers. I know nothing about after market changers if that is what your asking. You may want to search the archives at the www.bimmer.org site (both 3 and 5 series sites about CD changer questions. Those sites are often helpful. Good luck.
  • kmyeekmyee Member Posts: 4
    java 513

I purchased the warranty at the BMW dealership when I bought my car. it is a 125,000 mile/5 year (whichever comes first) warranty. That is the best warranty they could give me..there really isn't any type of warranty that goes beyond those terms AFAIK... I almost didn't want it, but for the peace of mind, I bought it... you may want to ask the dealer you purchased the car from if they have an extended warranty.
  • ncrooks002ncrooks002 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of taking delivery of a 525 this June. I would appreciate any input on the experience with this. In particular, it is critical that the car be there on the pick-up day. Secondly, the salesman tells me that the European delivery price is fixed with no room for negotiation and that they do not have a mark-up or holdback, but get about $500 from BMW for arranging the transaction. Therefore, there is no add'l room for negotiation; is this true?
    Check the archives and current posts in the www.bimmer.org 5 series site. There are MANY folks who have done this and are doing it as we speak. Read their experiences first hand. They will be more than happy to explain the details to you.
  • reffettreffett Member Posts: 1
    Last week I traded my MB for a 2001 GS300 and I was really disappointed. Returned the GS300 the next day and paid to have my MB returned to me. Yesterday I took possession of a 2000 BMW 528 and I am really pleased. I would recommend that anyone considering a GS300 should first look at a Buick, they handle about the same and the Buick is much less expensive. The difference in price for the Bimmer is well worth it.
  • zoichzoich Member Posts: 1
    This post regards the gentleman with problem at 80 mph. A bmw cruises at 80 mph is like any other car going about 50 mph, it should be a solid smooth ride. So definitely have your dealer check it. It just sounds odd that the noise only occur at 80mph, does the noise above 80mph? Here is a couple of things that I noticed since I own a 528(duh, we probably all do :-) ) It could easily be your air vent!! I have owned my 528 since it's first shipment rolled into US in 97, and have logged 87,000 miles on it. so after 3 years, I know just about all the little quirks about this car. If could be the dial on your air vent (the red and blue rotary wheel in the middle of your center vents) in the dead center or about there, where cold air mixes with engine hot air, it may produce this whooshing high pitch noise. So gun your car up to 80 mph and give it play with that vent wheel. The other thing that I can think of (since it happens on my RX300), is the seal around your sun roof. so a better way to check could easily be open your sun roof and drive up to 80 mph and see if you can still detect that noise. Good luck.
    ps. Just place an order for the 530's. and I am getting the steptronic gear shifter, does anyone have any experience using that? if so, how did you like it? My cousin took delivery of a 330 last month, with the whole works but kept the manual transie. Man, that thing can fly! I couldn't believer how much torque it gave you on 3rd gear! when that thing was in 3rd, you would think you just shifted from 1st to 2nd because there were so much more power still waiting to be unleashed.
    I accepted my 530iA 13 Oct 00. It is AWSOME. My first BMW. Have had it up to 115 w/o noise or effort. The steptronic trans is GREAT!! Shifts like a dream. Even with full throttle. The only other car I discovered that shifts as well was a Lexus. Have been getting about 22mpg with it so far. I continue to get stares about the parking lights. Here is my web site if you want to see pics, mud flaps, or xpel instalation. http://home.earthlink.net/~valhalla6/
  • marble2marble2 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my 530iA fully loaded and got it for $1500 off MSRP. They're crazy if they
  • pal100pal100 Member Posts: 1
    Gentlemen,

I truly appreciate your advice. I just checked the responses on another board and they were indentical - ie go for the 530 or settle for invoice on the 528.

For those wishing to check these responses go to http://www.bimmer.org/5series/messages/messages/96004.html

My problem remains that where I live there is only 1 dealer and the same is true from each of the nearest cities (each 4 hours from us). Any advice on how to reach other BMW dealers efficiently ? (Most online bidding services lock you to YOUR areas kingpin)

Thank you.
    Use your internet to find BMW dealers around the country. Tell exactly that you are shopping for a specific 528 at a good price. Airfare is still relatively cheap. The dealer will provide you the same service. He is not going to risk taking a hit with BMWNA simply because HE couldn't close a deal with you. You may find one with better price and more options. If you want to order a 530, go back to you bimmer.org site and look for pricing under the archives. I think there have been several inquiries about a dealer in Valley Springs (?) NY. selling at $1,700 under MSRP(?). Good luck.
  • jccsscjccssc Member Posts: 44
    zoich-
    Thanks for taking a look at my 80mph noise problem. I did have my 00'528iA (with sp-prem. pkg) taken to the dealer couple of days ago. Rode with a technician to demonstrate the noise I've been hearing. They told me their technicians are not allowed to take the car up over the speed limit. "Luckily" he heard it too and after checking, they found out there is a bulletin listed on their board with same problem and do have a way to fix it - they need to order a "bushing?" and replace the old one on the rear aixle of the car. Seems like BMWNA experienced some complains from customers on 3-er's and 5-er's regarding the same problem, and they do have a way to fix it. They placed the order on the part already and are waiting for the part to arrive as we speak, then they'll call me to bring in the car and fix it. HOPE that works....The car has "NO" problem going up to 80mph+!! I have been enjoying the 2800 miles that I logged for the last 2 1/2 months!!
  • blitzerblitzer Member Posts: 3
    See Post 140. Just Do It. It is a great experience.
  • moore_jessmoore_jess Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a used 5 series. I want to make sure that I am only looking at the models that have most of the kinks worked out.

Thanks,
    Jess
  • bccoker1bccoker1 Member Posts: 1
    Having difficulty deciding between the 540iA and the 330i. Comparably equipped 330i costs $17,000 less than equally equipped 540iA. Other than a few more horses and prestige, what makes the 540iA worth the extra money?
    Your question sounds as if you have no idea what you really want. The 2 cars are completely different animals. What is it you want from the car? Room, performance, mileage? Interior is much different, placement of window and seat controls etc... Take the 3 and 5 series out for a long test drive and see what you really like/dislike. I have a 530 but like the 330 as well. I needed the larger 5 series size for the family. I prefer the window controls on the door rather than the center console and a few other minor things. I have absolutely NO need for the V8. The 530 performs more than I will ever need. I love it. I am also getting about 22 city and 30 highway mileage, not that that really matters when you are shopping for a 540.
  • kmyeekmyee Member Posts: 4
    bccoker1...you should consider the 530i... MY friend bought a loaded 330i automatic with navigation...I ended up with a 530i manual and no navigation and it cost a couple thousand more, gets better gas mileage, more roomy, bigger trunk, and is just as fast...My wife prefers the 5 instead of the 3 since it is more comfortable in the back with the child...If i were single the 330i (M3?) would suit me just fine...If you dont care about drag racing someone, and wanted a larger size car, you should consider the 525i (base price of about $36000) , which is in the same price range as the 3 series, but is bigger...
  • rjsenrjsen Member Posts: 30
    As was said before, they're totally different cars, but...

I'd go with the 540, assuming you can afford it. What makes it worth the extra $$$? Everything - performance, smoothness, space, amenities, prestige, etc. It's really an amazing car. It weighs 2 tons and has a very comfortable back seat, but is quite fast and handles incredibly well (at least with the sport package, which I'd strongly recommend). The 3ers just don't impress me all that much. They're certainly nice cars, but something about them just doesn't sit that well with me (you may feel differently). As far as the 525/530, the 525 is just too weak (184hp pulling 2 tons of car isn't a good combination), and the 530, while nice enough, can't match either the performance or smoothness of the 540. Put another way, the 530 is a great luxury family car, but the 540 is a true sports sedan. I'd go with the 540 in a heartbeat.
    Does you local dealer not have a 525 to test drive?? My dealer here in OH as 2. I have a 530. Sounds like you were considering a 528?? The 530 is only about $500 more. Actually $500 less if you consider the moon roof is now included in the prem packages at no additional charge. You may want to shop around. There are some dealer discounting the 530 which might make it more affordable for you. I LOVE my 530. More performance than I will ever need. Good luck on your decision.
  • jdmjrjdmjr Member Posts: 1
    I am about ready to purchase a 540. I live in New England and am concerned about how the 540 will perform in the snow. Does anyone have experience on how the 540 performs in the snow, particularly on a steep, long driveway?

Also, does BMW have any plans to provide All Wheel Drive on the 5 Series any time soon? Since they now provide it on the 3 Series and Mercedes Benz offers it on the E430 (the comparable to the 540), I would think that BMW might be thinking about this.
  • bucket195bucket195 Member Posts: 2
    Please excuse my ignorance. Looking at the interior dimensions for these two vehicles, all measurements are within an inch of each other. The trunks are only .4 cubic feet apart. They share identical power trains. Can someone please shed some light on the difference between these vehicles? I am stationed in Japan and have an opportunity to purchase a BMW through the overseas military sales program. There is supposed to be a large discount, especially on these new very popular models. Thanks in advance.
  • dfruchtdfrucht Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 'leftover' 528 at a few hundred over dealer invoice. I was looking for a 325 and due to the deal on the 5 series was able to get it at very little over the 3-series price (lease-wise, that is). I love it! It has the sports package and sunroof, that's it. I will probably add a CD, but it's good enough for now. It drives like a dream.

Has anybody out there added a short-throw for the shifter (got the 5-speed), the throw is a bit long, but it's smooth and solid.

Got to go tint the windows and that's about all it needs.

More feedback after some mileage....
  • blitzerblitzer Member Posts: 3
    I hope you get more reponses than I did to Post 140!! I do not have any experience YET but what I was told was to go out and buy 4 snowtires. I have a colleague who lives in Syracuse on a hill and he says with his 3 series M Class and snow tires that he has not had any problem getting around in snow. I went into Tirerack.com and bought 4 Blizzaks mounted. Although I have 17" tires on my 540 6speed, they recommend 16" snows. They seem to be very nice tires and arrived via UPS in just a few days. In changing the tires, I think the 16" recommendation was a good idea since the 16" snows were comparable to or slightly larger in diameter than my low profile 17"s. I also have an uphill driveway and live on a hill so the first snowfall of the year in Connecticut will be an interesting test. The Blizzaks also have a preferred direction of rotation so you have to pay attention to which side of the car you are placing the tire.
  • btberry00btberry00 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a hard time getting over the gas guzzler tax that comes with the 540 and not the 530. Can anyone convince me to spend the extra money + guzzler tax of $1300?

Thanks
  • solman1solman1 Member Posts: 3
    Other than the .5 seconds difference in reaching 60 mph that seperates each model is there any difference between these cars? Personally, I'll take the worst F1 driver in a 525 versus any mortal in a 540. Or probably even an M5!

Can you hear the 2.5 liter whine versus the V8? I mean really, 1.1 seconds (525 vs 540) isn't worth that much money, is it?
  • dokilatdokilat Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 98 528i for $28K with 51K miles on it. was it a good deal? fully loaded with cd changer and moonroof. does anybody know?
  • jgatsisjgatsis Member Posts: 11
    I too am debating the relative merits of a 525i vs. 530i. I have only driven the 525i, and it is exhilarating (I have been driving a 1986 Jetta GL for almost 15 years however, so almost anything seems exhilarating). In any event, I have two dealers committed to $2000.00 over invoice for any configuration of 525i or 530i I specify. My primary dealer had bottomed out at $2200.00 over invoice until I received an internet bid from the dealer in the next town for the lower price. My questions are two: How much more price movement is there likely to be if I keep pressing? Is the 530i $4000.00 more peppy than the 525i? The whole evolution of this car buying process began with my nearly purchasing a topped out VW Passat, but then making the mistake of driving the BMW. Any thoughts? I am located in the Raleigh-Durham area (the so-called Triangle area) of NC.
    jgatis,

Well, I own a 530iA. I absolutely love it. I began wanting a Lexus GS300 for years! Finally went to the BMW after my friend and wife talked me into the BMW and I test drove one as you did. I would have been completely satisfied with a 528 but they screwed up my order so I got a 530 at a good price. Would I get a 525? Not sure. Haven't driven one. Obviously, the 530 has more pep and power. Certainly more than I will ever need. The 525 does not come with a auto dimming rear view mirror. Obviously not a $4k option but it IS nice to have. If I were you, and you are seriously tight on $$'s, I would consider a 99' or 00' 528 on the market. If you are going to order a sport package and want the true performance form a sport package, I would not get the 525. Only my opinion. I absolutely LOVE my 530 w/o sports package!! Here is a link to pics if you are interested. http://home.earthlink.net/~valhalla6/

Good luck on your decision. You may also want to consider the wait. I am hearing all kinds of stories where dealers are not getting THEIR allocations until Dec/Jan.
  • solman1solman1 Member Posts: 3
    When I think about $2,000 over invoice being a good price for a beemer, (which it probably is)I choke. When car shopping I'm always thinking Invoice or $100 over. Let the dealer make the money on the hold back. I guess not when you're buying one of the best sports sedans.

I'm also going to test an Audi A6 2.7T Quattro. Although I don't know if there's any more bargaining room with Audi's, I've read great things about them.
    hoehnjc,

Thanks for the input. In fact, the 530iA w/o sport pkg. is exactly what I'm looking at(indeed, I think the sport wheels detract from the elegance of the car). Dollars aren't the issue, but if you don't keep the incrementalism in check, before you know it, you're entertaining an M5. As for the wait, remember I said I've been driving an '86 Jetta for almost fifteen years - I'm a patient man. Any thoughts on my pricing issues? Thanks.
    As for the pricing issues, I think $2K over invoice is a pretty good given it is a new model. Some dealer are not discounting at all. Others are. I have heard of a dealer giving $1,700 over invoice in NY but I think that is rare. Again, I would weigh in the dealers ability to get an allocation. Some dealers do not/will not get an allocation until Dec/Jan for a Mar 01 delivery. If the dealer offering $2,200 over invoice is local,I would consider that a plus also. Some dealers provide loaners, more personal service when the car is purchased through them. I think that is worth the additional $200. Is the 3.0l engine worth $4K? Probably not. Like I said, it depends on what you expect from the car. I have heard several people complain that the 3.0l does not perform like the 540. Well, DUH, no kidding. Just don't expect the 525 to perform like the 528 or 530 of course. I am sure they are all fine machines! I love mine. 2,900 miles since 13 Oct.
  • slugger4slugger4 Member Posts: 7
    jgatis, I too am in the Triangle and shopping for a BMW. Are the local dealers (Leith and Performance) quoting you $2000 over invoice? Leith first offered to take off 4-500 $ off MSRP and my wife and I just laughed. I am ready to buy soon, but a I'm not willing to pay their showroom lease for a month.... Look forward to your response.
    slugger4, Leith was offering $2200 over invoice until I passed along an email quote from Performance for $2000. I have not made another move yet. One strategy I'm considering is presenting Leith a final offer (say, $1700 over invoice) in exchange for my promise not to escalate the bidding war with Performance. I don't know if this approach has merit, but I understand $1700 over invoice is about as low as anyone has gotten nationwide (based on my research). Given that there is no hold-back on these cars, my offer corresponds to about 3.5% profit for my configuration. As a matter of interest, Leith's first offer was $1500 off MSRP. I think it depends on the model - I'm told they're not dealing at all on 3 series.
  • flhtci1flhtci1 Member Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of a '97 540iA. The problem I have is when the vehicle speed is over 40 MPH, I detect a low frequency "rumbling" which I believe is related to the wind velocity. It will do it at a lower MPH if it's windy outside. It's not an air leak around the doors or windows, but I was thinking more like from around the mirrors, wiper blades, or front air deflectors. Has anyone experienced something similar on the 5 series?
  • agaryaagarya Member Posts: 3
    flhtci1 -- I test drive a '97 528 and noticed the same noise...the salesman told me it was the windshield wiper. I ended up buying a 2000 model and I haven't noticed it. I wonder if they changed the design...it doesn't seem be as obtrusive as I recall the 97 to be, but I'm not sure.

Gary
  • cdtoflcdtofl Member Posts: 1
    Hello BMW folks!
    I'm currently in a 1995 M-B C280 (195 hp) and everything about it is putting me to sleep. From the "stately" (read "numbing") handling to the absolute dog of a standard Bose stereo (previous owner probably Armor-All'ed the speakers) to the leatherette surfaces I have to peel myself out of in the Washington, DC summers. Sure, the C280 is solid, tight and heavy feeling, and more responsive than most other U.S. cars, but it's not a real "performer" by any means. e.g. If I take a long, somewhat sharp turn, (such as a 180 degree exit ramp) at more than 40 mph it feels like a TaeBo workout. Somebody check my spelling on that.

Anyway, I'm trying to store away a couple extra bucks to get a new car. One that is exciting to drive. I'm too poor for the E320, I don't want another C class and I'm not so enamored by M-B in general. So I'm thinking BMW 5 series. The price is still high, but with some financial discipline I should be alright to hit the show room next spring. Now here are the questions:

1. 525iA or 530iA ($4K difference) is it absolutely worth it? 184 vs. 225 horses, is that the only difference? It seems like a lot of difference in power.

Now let's talk options!

2. Is the 10 speaker basic audio $1K better than the 10 speaker premium audio? I'm sure anything is better than the wax paper filtered system I'm listening to currently - but I want to get a real spacious sounding, responsive system.

3. Is the Montana leather $1K better than the leather-ette? I hate that word... why don't they just say RUBBER?

4. Is the moonroof worth the extra bucks?

5. In dash CD for $170 or the very expensive six pack in the trunk?

Social status questions (optional to answer)
    a. Do 530 and 540 owners think 525 owners are weanies?

b. Do BMW owners give a "knowing wave" or do the "two fingers off the top of the steering wheel" thing when they pass eachother? (You know, like the Corvette guys do.)

c. When a 540 and 525 come in visual contact of eachother, does the 525 have to initiate the "knowing wave" because he is lower in social status?

Okay, I'm done. Can you tell I'm not a BMW owner yet?
  • rjsenrjsen Member Posts: 30
    Since the price of the 5-series seems to be a stretch for you, why not look at a 3-series? You'll get better performance from the same engine, better handling, and pay a good bit less. Unless back-seat space is an issue, I'd definitely recommend the 3 over the 5. You can get a decently optioned 325i for around $30k, and a 330i for around $35k.
  • awooawoo Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

A quick response would be GREATLY appreciated, in
    fact, if you could e-mail me at andy.woo@clubz.org,
    it would be even better.

I have been shopping for a 525 for years 1993-1995
    or so. I've taken a few out.. and I never noticed until the last two I tried ('93 and '95),
    that when I have the heater on FULL FAN and FULL HEAT on the front, the rear passenger vents, still only give cool air. Is the rear passenger vents SUPPOSED to give hot air when the front is hot, or just fresh air? When I looked through the owner's manual. It was not very clear. I think it said the back vents flowed 'fresh' air, but it never mentioned about the temperature.

Also... even with the fan on FULL (level 4. These were all manual dialed climate controls that I saw), the fan was not super strong. Is this normal ?

Thanks a bunch for all your help, in advance!!!

Andy.woo@clubz.org
    I would double check your transmissions. I don't THINK the 99 has a "steptronic" transmission. I don't think it was available until 2000. The info I have found states a 5 speed auto trans in the 99 but not a steptronic specifically. There IS a difference.

Otherwise, do you need a V8???
  • bgrossebgrosse Member Posts: 1
    You may be correct about the steptronic in the 540it. I have yet to see the car. Do I need a V8? No. I will be putting 25-30K miles on the car. Would there be any other reason the buy the 540iT?

Would anyone know if $43,500 is a good price for the 528iT with premium pkg, steptronics, heated seats. The MSRP is $47,800.
  • agaryaagarya Member Posts: 3
    Get the 530..the weight of the car requires the power. Get the premium pkg and you get the leather and moonroof. Regarding the CD, the car is pre-wired for the CD changer in the trunk. I bought an Alpine 6-disc changer at Circiut city for half the price of the factory, installed. I installed it myself even. Good luck.
    Gary
  • gearmangearman Member Posts: 30
    Having spent some seat time in both, from my experience this is an easy choice...get the new 528. There are two key reasons:

1) The GM autobox in the 528 is far superior to the unfortunate ZF unit in the 540. The former is manufactured by GM in France and is similar to the excellent 4 speed unit used in the Opel Omega / Cadillac Catera / Vauxhall Omega. The ZF has been famously subject to recall; friends with that unit in their 740s know the trans service techs at the local Bimmer store by first name. Stick with the manual boxes in the v-engined cars; in contrast, the GM autobox is a delight to use, whether in its 5 speed BMW-application form or in its 4 speed Opel Omega form.

2) BMW's inline six cylinder engines sold in the US have superior materials applications as compared to the V configured engines. Unlike the inline sixes, BMW saved manufacturing costs on the v engines by deleting the steel liners from the cylinder bores in favor of various metalographic band-aids applied to mask the basis softness of aluminum v. steel. These band aids came in various forms (alumisil, nikasil, this-a-sil, that-a-sil,...) but none have proven to be satisfactory in long term usage, particularly if the vehicle is driven in conditions of high heat and mechanical stress for extended periods of time. In addition, the v engines other failing is their being quite subject to various interal corrosions when higher sulphur level fuel is used (as is often found in the SE part of the US). BWM has been suffering from manifold warranty disputes on that last point. Finally, on the topic of 530 v 540, I find the sixes to have more than adequate power for urban and highway use, and their silky feel and sonorous sounds are wonderful.

On a related note, have any readers of this thread discovered whether there is any truth to the unfortuneate rumor that BMW may be about to follow DaimlerChrysler's move a few years ago to dump the in line sixes in favor of V-6s? Hopefully that is not the case.
  • cgiuffrecgiuffre Member Posts: 1
    I got a week 47 build, and the car should be here Dec. 20th. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. I live in New York City and got a really good deal, which I'm happy to share with other potential bimmer owners.

I just leased a 530iA for $355 over invoice. Here's the breakdown:

Invoice: $41,315
    Adv. Fee: $ 200
    Lease Fee: $ 525
    Delivery: $ 570

Total was $42,965.

It has sport/premium, steptronic, xenon, and fold down rear seats. Sticker is $46,520.

It's a 3yr/12k lease, 62% depreciation. $651 payment w/o sales tax.

I had to bid among 35 dealers to get it. I highly recommend www.fightingchance.com. I wouldn't have had a clue without it, and the guy who runs it is very cool. You can talk to him on the phone and he'll help you get the best deal.

Anyway, happy shopping/driving.
  • andrew36andrew36 Member Posts: 7
    I had a '97 528i, and I live 20 miles outside of NYC, and we do get snow in the winter. I didn't have to do anything to the car in winter b/c it has a flawless traction control system as well as stability control system. They really help the car keep on track, and they seemed just as good if not better than front wheel drive. I didn't need it so I reccomend you wait until it snows... and see what you think.
  • ggoudeli1ggoudeli1 Member Posts: 14
    Gearman:

My understading of the ZF tranny is that, besdies a much higher torque handling capacity than the GM, it has a stronger cae, better quality materials (especially wiring/electronics) and tighter tolerances. One of the primary benefits of the GM tranny is that it is less expensive to fix when it fails but the GM unit fails at
    a higher rate (almost 3x the rate of the ZF).

As far as the engine, my understanding is that BMW has abandoned the nikasil it used in its V-8 in favor of alusil (also used in V-12s), and has not had the problems resurface.

Just my $.02, would like to get others' thoughts.

George
  • abh1abh1 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the SF bay area/san jose and am looking to buy a 525iA or 530iA. Has anyone heard of a really good deal where there was a discount to the MSRP? The Edmund's site doesn't show a discount to the MSRP. Can anyone suggest a good dealer around here?

Also, does anyone have any strong opinions on the 525 vs the 530? Is it worth the price difference?

Thanks!
    Your Southern California pricing experience on the 530 matches mine. It does seem that the NYC area pricing mentioned by other posters is slightly more favorable. Comments from industry friends suggest that it's a classic supply/demand situation relative to regional/dealer allocations.

What color combo did you order? I was considering the white ext. / beige int. prior to deciding to purchase a competing / slightly larger vehicle.
    You may wish to delve a little further into these two issues.

Aluminum is metallographicaly less dense that steel; its relative softness is the reason most engine manufactures take the expensive step of engineering and installing steel liners into aluminum engine blocks, no matter of they're made of nikasil, alusil, this-a-sil, or that-a-sil. Alloys and spraying surface treatments provides a band-aid, but not a solution to the basic physical characteritics of the two materials. The use of those band-aids typically postpones significant engine problems until beyond most mechanical warranty tenors if highest-stress useage (i.e. trailer towing) is prohibited or restricted to light loads, as is the case with BMW. A senior colleague of my firm currently has his 750il for sale with 35k miles, its second engine, third zf transmission, and fourth set of brake rotors all replaced under warranty. He's tired of the hassle. He's likely to purchase a Mercedes 500S, Cadillac Seville STS, or Audi 8 with the W12 engine as a replacement, since the 530 (which I favor)is too small for his requirements. I've recommended avoiding the Audi for now.

Here in So. Cal, we're fortunate to not have experienced the internal engine corrosion problems (that have been the basis for other recalls) as have S.E. U.S owners since the pollution regulations have long forced the gas companies to market lower sulphur fuel in this area. Various manufacturers, Including DaimlerChrysler, have tried this engine construction method ever since Alcoa and GM foisted liner-less engines on Vega owners almost 3 decades ago. Both firms had negative warranty experience and, both have switched back to installing steel cylinder liners.

Regarding the transmission, your observations are the opposite experience of the NHSTA and BMW, as noted by the recall activity on the ZFs and not on the GM units (whether installed in 3 or 5 series BMWs or in the Opel Omegas (europe) Chevrolet Omegas (Brazil), Holden Omegas (Austrailia), Cadillac Cateras (U.S.), or Vauxhall Omegas (England). Car magazine in the U.K ran an interesting comparison a couple of years ago of various used (3yrs) "Luxury Executive Saloons" (Volvo, BMW 5 Series, Mercedes E Class, Vauxhall Omega, Audi A6, as I recall) that provided useful comment on this topic.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    It may just be the engine, etc. cooling down. There are lots of metal pieces (heat shields for the exhaust for one) that expand, and often make noise when the are cooling off.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The upcoming Porsche Carrera GT supercar will feature a 5.5-liter V10 utilizing Nikasil cylinder bores. This inferior process has almost certainly been chosen to keep the price under $400,000.
  • recksteireckstei Member Posts: 1
    My 97 528i got totalled (& I didn't have a scratch ), so I'm off to buy a 530 to replace it. Problem is the seats. I'm 5'2". When I bought the 528, I bought the comfort seat, since the regular seat felt too squishy. But the comfort seat wasn't much better. Would the seats in the Sports Premium package be better? Also, since I do 70 miles/day on highways, would the sports package take away some of the "luxury" feel of the the regular model? (Frankly my rental Mazda 626 has more comfortable seats than the 528, & I'd hate to have to buy something other than a BMW in order to feel comfortable, especially on long drives.)