Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• enigma32enigma32 Member Posts: 12
    YOu know, there really is no point and no need to address conundrum's posts, since he/she/it just posts the same exact statements over and over and never responds.

It truly is pointless, since its obvious the 2 don't even look alike.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    Welcome back enigma32, and merry christmas. My only problem with the ls so far is getting used to the key fob. they progammed it to open driver door with one push and all doors with 2, and i guess if i hold down the "open" button a few seconds the windows open. cool. Can the lcd screen ever get "burned" if i keep the nav system on all the time. Most of my driving is local so i just keep it on and use the steering wheel controls (Take that MB, make your's as simple) for radio etc. What is the "display 2" button on the right side of the wheel for? I'm getting used to the seat length adjustment, so i have 2 memory settings to try things out. I had no problem programming my "rolling code" garage door opener. I keep the owners manual next to me so if i have to wait in a parking lot while my wife "runs in" i just look at it. also a simple joy (unlike my wifes' new bug manual--to confusing)

Neat button award: preset radio volume control right where you need it. you don't have to fumble for a mute button (i set mine on low so when i answer my cellphone)

smooth, quiet and powerful--my wife is getting jealous.
  • bbeckerbbecker Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone suggest a source to replace the keyless remote to
    a '92 Lexus? Thanks.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    nofeer,

You can have your dealer reprogram the car so the remote control opens all four doors with just one press (instead of the default in which you need to press it twice to open all four doors). I also had them program it so that when I stop and put the car in Park, it unlocks all doors instead of just the driver's door, so that I don't have to push my door-unlock button to allow my passengers to open their doors.

P.S. The DISP2 button changes the distance by which the car follows a car in front of you when you are in laser-controlled cruise control mode.

Enjoy!

Renny
  • bbeckerbbecker Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone suggest a source to replace the keyless remote to
    a '92 Lexus? Thanks.
  • swithrow2swithrow2 Member Posts: 41
    Nofeer, glad to know you're enjoying your LS430, mine will be here in April. I agree with everything you've said about the LS430 vs the S Class. I'll skip the "status" and pocket the $22,000 thankyeverymuch.

My wife also has a New Beetle! lol She loves it, I bought her those goofy daisy wheels for christmas, she and my son are out having them put on now.

Stephen, 98LS
  • markham51markham51 Member Posts: 4
    My wife ordered me a new LS430 for Xmas. I won't be getting it until late Feb. Apparently she ordered it for me shortly after I took one for a test drive on introduction day. It is one awesome car and I can't wait to take it for a nice long trip.

Re: winter grip. I live near Toronto and I have owned several late model high hp rear wheel drive cars and they are all the same. If you get snow... buy real snow tires or better yet, buy some good ice tires. Even the best all season tires just don't cut it... the difference is nothing short of remarkable, especially on hills.

As far as looks are concerned, I much prefer the Lexus to the S Class... don't like those oddly shaped headlights. In my opinion the Lexus looks classier and there is no comparison when it some to value for the money. Still the S Class is a very nice car and maybe if I'm nice to my wife....
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    After much agonizing I went with the LS 430 over the MB S-Class. Almost fell for that MB lore but in the end the LS luxurious interior, elegant ride, ultra quiet cabin & the combo of its' Nav system and Levinson stereo kept me in the Lexus LS family. I've been leasing LS 400's since 95 and have been very satisfied with the car, particularly its' ride and great reliability. A lot of people seem to complain about MB reliability but then claim the car's still worth it. In the case of the LS I have never had any problems other than tires wearing out early due to my failure to get a wheel alignment.I evaluated both the S-430 and the S-500 (to me the latter is actually the more competitive to the LS due to engine size) and found them to be great cars but didn't feel they measured up to the LS. I prefer the MB design & handling and give both A to A+ vs. B+ to the Lexus for both but Lexus wins everywhere else. The interior is off the scale at A++ vs. a B- for the MB (given its' price)and hey that's where you live. Besides the LS handles superbly for such a large car and with two kids in the car most of the time I would'nt drive it like a sports car anyway. I'm sure I would have been quite content with the MB but I actually felt that had I opted for it I would be sorry I didn't go with the LS and I didn't have any such feeling vice-versa. Now that I've driven it for two days I'm certain I made the right decision. My only complaint against the car is that you can't use the rear seat heaters if you put a child seat in the middle of the rear seats. Perhaps they will fix that in 2002. For anyone else caught between MB and LS - make your decision on the car not the MB lore - but both are great cars.
    So what's the best snow and what's the best "ice" tire? I can use studded tires in kentucky,how about putting some studded tires on the rear like the cops do, or will it throw off the traction control. we have more problems with ice than snow in eastern ky and lots of rolling hills.
    thanks for the info on the locks i'll have them changed when i get my service. My MB ml320 gets oil changed as per computer prompt about every 10-11k miles, what duration do you suggest on the ls430 i feel every 5k miles a bit too soon, maybe i can go 7500 miles between oil changes, or i'll just follow the book.
  • lulu11lulu11 Member Posts: 1
    I just had a leasing company do a search for a Black Cherry LS430 with Ecru/AL package. Well he found one and I'll have it in 3 weeks. The question I have for anyone out there " how does the car look in Black Cherry". All of the dealers around don't have any to show and apparently the Ecru package was only built in the first run for dealers on the east coast. Any feedback
  • markham51markham51 Member Posts: 4
    I have read numerous articles about this subject and the long and the short of it is...Bridgestone Blizzaks, Michelin Arctic Alpins and Goodyear Ulta Grip Ice tires will all do the job. They are designed to grip better under icy conditions and get you through the snow at the same time. I have personal experience with the Blizzaks and the Arctic Alpins and both seem to do the job well.
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    lulu, I have seen the B Cherry with ecru (not ultra tho) and it was a beauty. I am waiting for one at my dealer - with the ultra pkg and ecru. It
    seems like it may be a while, I have seen very few
    of them here in the east (Md. Va.). I have been on the list since the beginning and have heard nothing about when one may arrive. I may need to give up my "one dealer" loyalty and check with other dealers. Bottom line, I think you'll love it, especially in bright sunlight - it glistens. It looks much darker indoors or in dim light. But, wow, in bright sun...!!
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    Lulu11: There is a black cherry with ecru, nav, 17" tire and fully loaded in Lexus of Huntsville, Alabama. I test dove it for two hours, it has been sitting on the lot for 3 weeks now, accompanied with five others LS. It is a brand new dealer and I know they will negociate. You can find them in the www.lexus.com. good luck, Swiftm
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    Hello, i would like to start of by telling you that over the last few weeks my father has been shoping for SUVs priced from 40-55 thousand dollars. He allready has a jeep cherokee, and my mother drives a BMW 740i sport (LOL, after she drove mine she just had to have one). Well after researching, he realized no matter how much luxury was in a truck it was still a truck, big and unflatering. Even the RX300 and X5 didnt intrest him. So he decided to keep his cherokee, and lease a luxury car. He really like the LS430, and our local dealer has one with black onyx exterior, and black leather. It also has the nav. system. That is his first option. He also is consdidering a black/blac gs430, and a silver/tan mercedes e430. Any comments?? What would you do in this situation?
    I had the same problem till i realized that
    1. e series coming in next year or two upgrade causes huge hit on resale

2. for the price of the e430 i can have the ls430 better and equiv to s500 for 23k less

3. gs400 rides rough unless you get the 16j' wheels and doesn't have the luxury or quiet of the ls430

4. the ls430 has the best interior of anything maybe competes with a lear jet for ergonomics. better resale

5.ls430 rules it's awesome, MB is over priced, the one advantage MB has is the 4matic if you need awd.
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    He has decided to wate a little bit, but when the time comes says he will buy a ls430.
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    I am considering an LS 430 with Black Cherry paint but no dealer in my area has one. If anyone has seen a Black Cherry LS could you give a brief description of color ie; closer to Burgundy,maroon,etc. I don't want to order one and have it look like a fire engine. I plan to order gold package and chrome 17' wheels and I want it to have an elegant appearance.
    Any response is appreciated.
    Thanks
    ron
  • gregfullergregfuller Member Posts: 1
    Well I am trying to purchase a LS 430 with the ultra interior etc...Are there any dealers discounting these on the web or otherwise..I looked up the markup and it is over 10 grand..I will even travel to pick it up
  • swiftmswiftm Member Posts: 68
    See my post 363 and go pick it up. Swiftm
  • cincy1cincy1 Member Posts: 3
    There have been a couple of posts complaining about the Mark Levinson stereo sound. I have owned several pieces of Mark Levinson home stereo equipment. They all have one thing in common: It takes up to 100 hours of listening time for them to break in before you get the best sound they are capable of providing. For those of you not familiar with high end audio, this may seem strange but audio electronics particularly in amplifiers need operating hours before they stablize and exhibit favorable performance. The other characteristic of Levinson equipment is that it doesn't tolerate bad CD's. If the performance was mastered using lots of equalization and compression, it will sound bad on any system, particularly so on Levinson gear. To evaluate the system try CD's from Chesky or Mapleshade (acoustic jazz)or Harmonia Mundi, Chandos, Dorian or Teldec for Classical. I can't recommend any popular music CD's because I don't own any. Bottom Line: Give the Levison system some time and I think you will grow to like the sound. I've got about 20 hours on mine and notice improvement daily in sound stage, accuracy and tonality.
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    agent0986 many thanks for the excellent photo you posted with the LS 430 in Black Cherry.
    That picture made up my mind for me and that is definitely the color which I was seeking.
    Again many thanks your consideration is greatly appreciated.
    Ron
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    cincy1,

Do you know how this mechanism of gradually stabilizing and giving better performance works in an audio system? I could see how a wooden enclosure around a speaker might need time to "age", like a fine violin, but what in the electronics could possibly change as a function of operating time? It seems mystifying to me.

Renny
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I have driven the LS 430;it's an outstanding car.It is extremely silent and silky-I almost bought one.But the interior just has way too much wood-it seems a little garish to me.I admit I haven't heard anyone else complain about this.I do understand everyone here loving the car.I do think it is unique in the marketplace.Often the sports car magazines complain the car is too soft and uninvolving-I utterly disagree.
    The Mercedes E320 I particullarly like.I can't see paying for the extra power of the E430-at that price I'd go with the LS430.The Merc is a bit "plainer",if you will-I like that.The model being changed in two years does not seem such an issue.As far as any of these cars,if you don't keep it for many years before resale you are going to lose your shirt.When I do buy one of these rarified cars ,I will never sell it.When it is so very old that it loses all meaningful reliability,I'll make it my weekend hobby car.There is a trend I'd like to comment on,though.Sometimes you will see a Mercedes with the trim updated to appear to be a newer car.Say an early 80's SL with a third brakelight and late 80's wheels added.There is actually a company that sells the current E-Class four round headlight cap to graft onto the last generation E-Class!Is there not a joy when one sees an old Merc on the street? I wonder if Lexus will age so gracefully?
  • jdevereauxjdevereaux Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Black LS430 ultra and the car is fabulous. I own a GS300 and LS400 and those they were great cars until I test drove this one.

One issue is that my wife would like to shut off the announcement that says "The Global Links System is active" when you turn on the ignition.
    Any ideas. The dealership says that I cannot do it.

Regards
    John D.
  • cincy1cincy1 Member Posts: 3
    Rennybosch,

I'm afraid I'm not capable of adequately explaining the mechanisms at work during break-in of audio equipment. Resistance and capacitance values change slightly as the equipment breaks in. Transistors age and exhibit slightly different gain and noise characteristics. Solid state amplifiers operate best when they remain at thermal equilibrium and are never turned off. I keep my power amp (650 watts per channel) on continuously because I notice the difference in soundstage and transparency if it's off for even a day or two. I won't go any further for fear of being flamed by real engineers in the audience. I've been a stereo nut for fifteen years and have experienced this phenomenon time after time with new or upgraded amplifiers, Digital to Analog Converters, speakers and cables. Perhaps the experts can explain it better. If you are interested in confirming my observations, visit the Stereophile (www.stereophile.com) and The Absolute Sound (www.TAS.com) audio magazine websites and ask the very knowledgeable editors of those magazines the same question.
  • barb85barb85 Member Posts: 54
    Is there a Custom Luxury Package becoming available in the Spring? My salesman hasn't heard of it. I'm wanting the air conditioned front seats without all the back seat stuff in the Ultra Lux.

They are discounting LS430s $2,000, but not the Ultra Lux. AND Ultra Lux has LOWEST residual. Even though I'm looking to buy rather than lease, I believe this indicates the Ultra Lux having a lower resale value, percentage-wise, than other LS430s.) Anyone heard of a current discount better than $2,000?

What do you all think will be highest percent discount we can get later on, "after the new is worn off"?

I heard on the news that American auto dealers will be discounting heavily in the next several weeks. We are entering a buyer's market.
  • scongroscongro Member Posts: 80
    That sounds odd that you can't shut it off, but you might not be able to.

barb85,
    If you can get 2,000 off of any LS 430, take it! Edmunds TMV says you can expect to pay MSRP, but a little while back, they were saying OVER MSRP.

As far as resale values, they will be VERY high for the segment. Look at a '98 740iL. As Chevy would say, "Like a Rock"

It is too early to really tell the resale value, though.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    This is for Barb85 or anyone else who knows of discounts on the new ls430. Please email dealer information. Thanks. Greasykid1
  • antlers1antlers1 Member Posts: 13
    I have heard that S-class Mercedes in 2002 will have all-wheel-drive option. I wonder if all-wheel-drive option will be available in Lexus LS 430 or new 2002 Acura RL. Thank you. antlers1.
    Probably not, because no Lexus car has it, and they probably would have said something about it already.

However, it would be a great plus for Acura if they could do anything but front. I've heard rumors of a V8 RWD RL, but i'll believe it when I see it.
    To my suspicion, I just saw on edmunds coverage of the LA Auto Show, that the '02 RL will just be a higher HP version with OnStar. However, I believe Lexus has the only OnStar contract with Specially trained Reps (Lexus Link).
    $2,000 discount does not apply to Ultra Lux, and I was told by a Lexus finance person that the residual (expected resale value) for an Ultra Lux is lower than other LS430s because Ultra Lux is designed for a person who has a driver--like a limo. Lexus has a pretty good idea of what the resale value will be because they need that information before they can draw up a lease agreement.

Lexus explained to me that a person shopping in the used car market is not looking for back seat stuff and won't pay for it. He doesn't have a driver. On the other hand, a person who does have a driver can afford a brand new Ultra Lux. Thus the expected low resale value for an Ultra Lux.
    The dealer that told me of the $2,000 discount on LS430s (except Ultra Lux) is the same dealer I bought my '95 SC300 from in August of '94. It could be that they are giving me an "old customer discount." (I forget what they actually call it.) They also offered to put me on the waiting list for an LS430 with $0 deposit late last summer. It may just be a perk of staying with the same dealer.

I don't want to rock the boat with my salesman by posting his name on the internet. My suggestion is for you to write them a check $2,000 less than MSRP for a car they have on the lot. They can't resist. If they don't take it, walk out. (If it were me, just for kicks I'd write the check for $3,000 less than MSRP, but I'm waiting for the rumoured Custom Luxury Package.) A looming recession makes this a buyers market.

My salesman also said that the waiting list is substantially shorter--3 or 4 weeks for whatever I want.
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I don't believe for a minute Lexus Financial thinks the ultra lax market is for lido drivers! My dealer gave a better excuse for the lower residual. The money guys say options are options. AL is an option. Options depreciate faster than the base car, so the overall depreciation is higher because the option portion is so large.

My two cents. I think we'll find this to be an exception simply because the AL includes so many options. Three years from now, someone looking at my AL equipped LS430 is going to want it a lot more than one with out it. No I won't get $13K back, but I'll get more than Lexus Finance is expecting. That AL are still not being discounted lends evidence to this.
  • cofccofc Member Posts: 6
    OK, just test drove my first LS 400 and man, it is sweet. I am a college student who is porb out of his mind thinking he should be driving a Lexus, but you know, you've all driven them and know what kind of a car they are (esp when compared to the storm I have owned for the last 5 years). The Lexus is an amazing car. The one I drove is a 90 model with 110K on it. I drove it for about 45 minutes, and put it through all sorts of conditions and it did quite well. The two things I did notice with it were that the power antenna didn't go down, just was always up and the LCD screen for the AC didn't work. Other than that, I did not notice any problems with it. They are asking 10K for it, which is a little below book value for this car, and seems like an ok deal. My questions are 1) is this a good deal 2) how much would it cost to get these two problems fixed and 3) am I a crazy college student for trying to get a 10 year old Lexus and will I have many repair bills for it? How have you all with these early Lexus been repair wise. AM I a crazy student and just should spend my money on an accord or camry or should I go for the Lexus? thanks
    A light bulb went out on my a/c behind the "mode" on my '95 SC300 and Lexus told me that they could not put in a new light bulb--they have to replace the entire a/c contraption at a cost of between $300 and $400 (I don't remember exactly, because I didn't get it repaired.) Lexus is a very dependable car; however if it needs repaired, it will cost a fortune. Now my trunk lid does not lift easily or stay open--it needs a new cylinder on each side @ $109 each. I'm waiting for parts to come in.

My experience has been that I feel very lucky to leave Lexus Service writing a check for less than $350. Remember, labor is the expensive part.

I know you don't want to hear this, but if I had a son or daughter in your situation, I would strongly encourage him or her to get the Accord or Camry that you mentioned. Better yet, get one under warranty. You have the rest of your life to drive a Lexus. Be a college student now, and enjoy!
    I visited another dealer in my area and he told me
    that Lexus is now only making ultra lux vehicles in the basic colors (white, black, silver, gold..)
    and that my choice of black cherry/ultra/ecru is now special order (5 months from order). I have heard nothing about this from my dealer/salesman,
    though I rarely hear from him. Anyone else hear of this?
    Enigma, if you are there, I am actually growing very displeased with my salesman - many examples of slights and misinformation, etc. While I am considering changing, is it better to try another dealer or the same one with a new salesman? I am a cynic at heart and fear some sort of internal retaliation by my old salesman if I stay at his dealership and use another salesman. Paranoid? or is it possible? The next closest dealer was much more responsive and courteous (10 mi. vs 20miles). Oddly, my dealer is "Elite" and the other dealer is not, but the 2nd salesman was much better in many ways. Opinions?
    Is the Mark Levinson upgrade worth it? The standard stereo sounded pretty good. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    The LCD lighting for the AC display can only be fixed by replacing, $300-$400 sounds about right. If you can hear the motor working when you turn the radio on / off then the cable is just broke and can be fixed for $50. If you cannot hear the motor working (like its trying to go through the 6 second raising/lowering of the antenna, then the motor is shot, cost for new =$237.00). I would be way more concerned as to the records of service, have the Lexus dealer pull up the service records. Check to see if all the VIN # stickers are on all the body parts (every door, hood, fenders & trunk....one for each), this will give you a clue as to whether or not it has been in any major accident. These cars last a loooooong time, $10K seems about right, I bought one (91 LS400 w/ 143K miles for $9K) and only had it 13 days before I went and bought a 96 LS 400 (loved the color and got it for $22K).
    Hi BARB85. Understand your not wanting to go public but I would appreciate it if you would send to my email address. Thanks
  • swithrow2swithrow2 Member Posts: 41
    Yes my dark blue UL is a special order also.

Stephen, 98LS
  • arod2arod2 Member Posts: 10
    After taking delivery of my LS 430 and completing all the paperwork for Lexus Link basic service, the service still isn't on. (It's been almost a month) When I push the link button I receive a message stating my subscription has "expired." I'm taking it into the dealer to have this checked out. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the dealer's explanation?
  • arod2arod2 Member Posts: 10
    For the greasykid who asked about the stereo upgrade...I don't know what your priorities are w/re: to music, but I'm convinced the the MLev stereo is absolutely worth every penny. It sounds great. Because of the ideal space parameters of the car's cabin, it probably sounds better than any home stereo you could acquire for under $20K. Buy it. You only live once!
  • drdigital1drdigital1 Member Posts: 2
    Lexus halted selling their phones. Yet I am interested in an integrated phone with controls in the steering wheel, that would stop the radio when you use the phone, etc. Any suggestions?
    Regards,
  • garyctgaryct Member Posts: 12
    I wondered if any of you Parchment Crystal or Blue Onyx LS430 owners have a digital camera that you could share some pictures of your car. I just set up a page of digital photos of the LS430 and have some great shots of Black Cherry, Silver, White and Sea Opalescent.

The Black cherry looks soooo nice, but I've been living with a burgandy color car for 8 years and need a change (I think). I'm leaning towards a Blue Onyx with Lux/Ecru interior, chrome 17" wheels w/ sport suspension. I also think the Parchment would look great with Ecru/Lux interior. I think I would rather have a lighter color exterior but who knows.

Check it out the photos I took...some are too big, overexposed ect but very revealing non the less :)

here is the link

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293099731

all the best,

Gary
    Just completed a 423 mile treck with my ls430 got 25mpg at 71mph, so quiet and smooth, hard to leave this cocoon environment. I can't see why the a/c and heated seats could be more comfortable, it's hard to test an ultra long enough to get the comparison. i'd also like to get a phone, but at 2k and fast changing technology hard to justify. also someone earlier said its a PCS phone--which isn't as good for my area of the country. i use att one rate on my nokia 8860. I'm waiting for a contact from Pro-Fit to see if and when they will make a custom mount for a cell phone. any suggestions on other companies that may make a custom mount--i don't want a stem mount to mess up pass room or carpet. the pro-fit for my MB and Bug work just great.

this is such a joy to drive my wife can actually fall asleep while a drive--she never was able to do that in the ML320 or Bug, but this is sooooo smoooooth and quiet.
    Are you sure about Lexus not selling the phone? I am going to call my dealer soon anyway, bcz they told me my car is arriving the end of this month. I want the phone installed so that it is hands free and integrated with the nav system. If they have stopped doing that, it is a big loss.
  • drdigital1drdigital1 Member Posts: 2
    flint350 - let me know what you find out from your dealer. Mine said that customers complained that Lexus phone is working only with Sprint PCS and as result Lexus stopped selling the phone. I would still buy it, but they wouldn't sell it to me. I am looking for a solution.
    Regards,
  • dspeiserdspeiser Member Posts: 1
    getting to buy my ls430. can anyone tell me if they got a great lease. will most likely get the basic package. when I bought my 98 gs400 a only put down a 5000 security deposit. anyone know if this is still possible? thanks.