Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo S60

Comments

• esp63esp63 Member Posts: 27
    One more thing: I seem to recall that STC works up to 75 mph, then all bets are off.
  • gerry18gerry18 Member Posts: 39
    My understanding is consistent with esp63's. If you know what under- or oversteer is, DSTC corrects for it. The Dynamic Stability Traction Control description in the S80 brochure is complimented by a great illustration. (see page 22 of the S80 brochure, which can be down-loaded from the Volvo web site.) DSTC is now a must-have safety feature along with ABS in my book. Hope to never buy another car without it.
  • stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    Considering the S60 2.4T and have 2 questions. First, I have back problems and it's important to me that I purchase a car I can drive for several hours without discomfort and fatigue. It is difficult to find a day or week rental of the S60 and a test drive is not long enough so I need your opinion. As far as comfort, has anyone compared it with the BMW 325i, the Passat or the new Audi A4? These are other cars I like the look of. Second, I just saw an S80 2002.5 on the road and the bodyside molding is the same color as the car body. Is this something that may be planned for the S60? I like the car the way it looks now and would buy a 2002 with the black molding if it is going to change in the next 6 - 12 months. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    i actually had a one week rental of an S60 in Fort Lauderdale about a month ago.

Hertz had a bunch of them and they were rented at a regular midsize price. Can you believe a little over 100 bucks for a weekly rental of an S60?

As for the seating it was exceptional, I thought. Soft but form fitting leather seats. 5 hour drive to Tampa was no problem. Check with Hertz to see if you can get a rental in your area or take a Florida vacation.

I heard something to the effect that the 2003 S60 would have monochromatic bumpers and moldings but don't really know. I actually don't care much for the black moldings and if I were to buy the car I would likely get it in a dark color to mute the effect.
  • jeffnjmejeffnjme Member Posts: 36
    We had a rental S60(base model) for a month the seat comfort was excellent-Volvo is considered to have the most comfortable seats in the auto industry--I personally really like the comfort--but I really believe this is a personal choice. Additionally I drove 935 miles in four days in my wife's S60T5 (sport seats) through Sweden and Norway and I thought these seats were wonderful.

As stated by cayennered you can rent an S60 from hertz our rental was from Enterprise. We actually had no plan to get a new car but we liked the rental S60 so much we decided that we had to have one. Our car should be in San Diego in three weeks-i know my wife is going to love it.
  • c702000c702000 Member Posts: 39
    Had mine painted, looks a lot better, it reminds me of the BMW racing stripe, they have the same black on most all of their cars. You can have the rough sanded down to smooth or like me just painted and kept them rough. It does make the car (red)better looking and you do not have to worry about it fading like the older 850 did on the bumpers.
  • hawthorn77hawthorn77 Member Posts: 3
    I have driven my S70AWD for 2 years(55k miles!). It is the most comfortable car I have ever had. I am trading it in on an S60AWD in the next few weeks. I believe the seats are comparable if not better on the S60. You asked how they compare to the AUDI. My wife has an A6. It is beautiful, very smooth and quiet, but like the other German top line cars, the seats are too firm especially for a long ride. Also there are many more Volvo dealers in the U.S. Audi dealers are few and far between.

The Volvo has soft seats which have tremendous support. It's hard to describe any other way. THIS IS ONE AREA I CONSIDER MY SELF TO BE AN EXPERT! 2 1/2 years ago I fractured L1 and L2 (my back) in a fall. Comfort and safety are #1 for me in a car.

VOLVO is the choice. No I don't sell them.......
    I just buy 'em.
  • rustyrrustyr Member Posts: 10
    As noted previously I had a Passat. The seats were very firm and supportive--great for long trips. I drove 10 hour days quite a few times and found the seating to be very good. The lumbar support in the Passat is more noticeable than the Volvo. Having said that, I find the S60 seats to be superior to the Passat. I feel wrapped in the seat. The seat holds me on turns where I tended to slide in the Passat. The comfort is far superior in the S60, much more luxurious. And you can adjust the seat in more ways in the S60 to get the perfect driving and riding position.
  • hawthorn77hawthorn77 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone hear of any special offers on the horizon for Volvo? There must be pressure on them as the U.S. cars are being given away with 0% financing and now $2002 back....... My S60AWD will be in in 3 weeks and I have my fingers crossed that something will happen. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU"VE HEARD.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I follow the Forums at Volvospy.com and there are a number of Volvo sales people there. I haven't heard of any deals on 2002's though there was a substantial rebate on 2001 leftovers.

Most everyone there recommends TDS (Overseas Delivery) as the way to go.

Practically a free European vacation and about a $1000 under invoice. (free airline tickets and one night hotel)

Probably too late for you unless you can cancel and reorder and are willing to wait the three months or more for the complete process. (two months to build and 6 weeks to ship home from Europe).

Sometimes if you want something really badly you just pay the going rate. So that may be the most appropriate option for you.
    Last week, I put together an Edmund's review but it hasn't been posted yet. Here's a link to another review that I posted elsewhere. I know that someone recently created a topic to ellicit some opinions, maybe this'll help.

http://intellichoice.epinions.com/content_52484607620

BTW, it's been a month and other than an off-center steering wheel(dealer will need to check the toe-in next time I'm in the neighborhood), I'm still it's been an excellent experience.

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    During the last two years of the 850's and 960's existence (1996 & 1997), how did they do in terms of overall reliability and durability? I've heard, and do know for a fact, that the 960 was more complex than the 850. And an 850 is not simple compared to the average Accord or Celica, correct?
  • drewsrxdrewsrx Member Posts: 57
    You might want to check this archived thread on Edmunds. Volvo's have always been noted to have the best seats in the entire industry, designed by Swedish Orthopedic Surgeons.

The Most Comfortable Seats
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I had a '94 850 and had no major problems before trading in for a '97 S90 (960). Had more problems with it - had to replace sunroof twice (!) and hardly used, once under warranty and once out of. Also had AC problems and driver seat issues after warranty before finally unloading last year (cash drain was getting ridiculous). IMO, Volvos just don't have the same reliability as they used to have as other makes have closed the cap (and surpassed, in some cases). BTW, also owned a 240 and 740 previously.
  • jstorckjstorck Member Posts: 1
    Our new S60 (base engine) consistently tracks very slightly to the right, at high and low speeds. We first noticed this after purchase three weeks ago and had it realigned immediately. This seemed to "straighten" out the problem, but it now has reoccured. Any thoughts as to what might be happening here?

TIA.
  • desaljsdesaljs Member Posts: 24
    jstorck,

Have the dealer check and see if the front sub-frame is properly bolted down. I have read on some Volvo forums that these bolts can be improperly torqued at the factory, or by dealers who have had to do engine work that required the sub-frame to be removed.

Hope this helps.
  • rwcliftonrwclifton Member Posts: 19
    I've been trying to decide on a car and I like the Volvo S60 2.4T but I was wondering about its' overall reliability. From the research I've done the reliability of the S80 is not too good. How has your overall experience been with the S60 2.4T? Any input would be appreciated.
  • dfried1dfried1 Member Posts: 6
    RWClifton, I have a 2001 S80 T6 which is 15 months old with 35,000km. I have been extremely satisfied with all aspects of the car and the dealership where the car was purchased and is serviced. Other than routine maintenance, a few light bulbs have been replaced (with apologies) at no cost. Danny
  • tensortensor Member Posts: 25
    I have had my S60 2.4T just over 1 year and have 25K miles on it. It has been excellent so far with the only problem being the remote locks. They fixed it right the first time, though, and gave me a brand new S60 2.4T loaner while they did the work. Overall I have found the car to be very quiet and comfortable with excellent climate control and the best stereo set up I personally have ever had in a car (10 cd changer is great!). I have no complaints at all. Good luck with your decision.
  • fchang3fchang3 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my S60 AWD last Friday. This morning I had trouble starting the car. It was not that cold (30F) last night. I turned key to start engine and got that familiar sound from a old car's dead battery. I made sure nothing was wrong like if I had left the lights on or something. After several tries I was finally able to start it. I am going to have the dealer check it out this weekend. But I am still wondering how could a new car has this problem?
    Volvo batteries are notorious for not being that reliable (on my last Volvo it lasted less than 2 yrs - service guy admitted the problem, replaced free under warranty). Having said that, a new car with that problem could just mean that it sat on the lot a while and the battery needs recharging/replacing(I would demand a new battery!). If I had spent $30K on a car I would not be real thrilled....

I took a test drive in a new Audi A4 a few months back and it died on me. Had to call the salesman out to "jump" it. Kinda embarrassing for him, plus he got a ticket driving out to me for driving a dealer car with temp dealer plates (only customers can do that!). That was kind of funny....lol
    I have a 2.4T that occassionally needs a couple of tries before the engine will turn over. It seems to be a "normal" thing with the turbo cars, I think that the turbocharger causes additional resistance to starting. I've read a lot of posts here and elsewhere with similar complaints to yours. Living in S. Florida, I can't say I've tried starting the car in extreme cold. I do know that your battery is spec'd to produce lots of cold-cranking amperage. Having it checked is a good idea but I'm guessing that the service people will tell you that, in the best of circumstances, the light turbo is sometimes a stubborn starter. Let us know what you find and good luck.
  • t6tolert6toler Member Posts: 19
    Regarding engine starting, "esp63"s comments about turbos needing more cranking time is right on the money. Volvo owner's manuals have for years said to allow five seconds for a non-turbo car to crank, and up to ten seconds for a turbo car to crank, most likely due to more initial resistance. Although, "fchang3"s problems sound like a weak battery if the car makes noises like an old car with a dead battery.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks as always,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com
  • byarmobyarmo Member Posts: 1
    My S60 2.4 T makes a clicking sound on the left front at 15-20 mph. It only happens initially when the car is started. It never clicks again when underway. When the car is restarted it will click once again.
    If your car has made this noise since new, it could simply be either the ABS system or the SRS-AIRBAG system performing their automatic diagnostic checks. Both of these systems will run sensor function/identification checks the first time the car reaches a certain speed after being started. And both systems can sometimes be heard as a clicking sequence. My only concern is that my car, though a completely different model (T6), does these checks at about five to ten miles per hour not fifteen to twenty. Unless a dash warning light comes on or the car seems to drive strange, I would wait until your next scheduled oil change and bring it up with your service advisor.
    I posted a review(See new vehicle info) of the 2.4T back in the beginning of January. It wasn't published until the end of January. Somehow, the rating that got generated is unbelievably low. I'm not sure if it's the rating algorithm Edmund's is using or if I made some sort of mistake. I posted a correcting review a few weeks ago and it hasn't been published. Let me say for the record, the 2.4T is a 9 or 9.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm totally happy with my car and actually look for reasons to take a ride in it. I posted a more detailed review at the epinions web site if anyone's interested.
  • rahoulrahoul Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 S60 base with 9K miles. About 6 mos ago after a couple of freeway pothole encounters, the steering loosened up considerably, the wheel wobbled when going over the smallest bumps, would not return to straight-ahead position after turns, and the car appeared too slow to respond to steering maneuvers at high speeds. The end result was a feeling of uneasiness and lack of control while driving. I took the car back twice to the dealership and both times was told there was nothing wrong that needed fixing. The third time I had them check and realign the wheels - which seemed to take care of the problem somewhat, but recently the looseness has surfaced again. I am planning to bring it in once more, but am concerned that they might be missing the real issue altogether. Any ideas on potential causes, or what I could direct the shop to look for, would be appreciated
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A major midwestern newspaper is interested in speaking with folks who have anecdotes and opinions on rear wheel drive vs. front wheel drive in winter driving conditions.
    We're also looking for people who recently switched one way or the other and what they like/dislike about what they're driving now.
    If you are interested in participating, please provide your city/state of residence and your daytime phone number to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than March 20, 2002.
    Thanks as always,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gueviguevi Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buy my first volvo. honda drive for the past ten years. got tired of Honda.
    I am debating on buying the s60 vs s60t. i drove both and T has a little more juice and power;
    any ideas. ???
    thanks
  • bornzobornzo Member Posts: 19
    I am looking for a little help, I am thinking of looking at the S60T and was wondering about the seating. I am 6'4" and 250, are there any guys my size driving this vehicle. If so are you comfortable in the vehicle. I really like the S60T. I hope it is not too small.

Thanks
    The 2.4T is definitely the best balanced of the 3 levels. I walked away from my s70 because it had the non-turbo 168hp engine and it wasn't sufficient in do-or-die merge situations. I have a 2002 s60 2.4T and it's all that and a bag of chips. I think that if you go beyond the 2.4T to the T5, you may as well start considering the competition's sports offerings- it's not quite as balanced as it should be. The 2.4T is a very comfortable, graceful car with very good handling characteristics. As for headroom, it's deceptively good. Of course, I'm not 6' 4" but between the adjustment range of the seats and steering wheel it just might fit the larger driver.
    Geez, I found the 168 HP engine on my S90 to be quite exceptional for merging, passing, etc. Def the most powerful engine on any of the 4 Volvos I owned....

Of course, I now have a 255HP (Nissan Max) and that baby roars....lol
    At highway speeds, passing wasn't so bad. For instance, jumping from 65 to 75 was alright. When I lived upstate NY and didn't HAVE to use the accelerator for defensive-driving, my s70 was a wonderful car. However, when I moved to S. Florida and had to merge into a sea of beligerant lunatics, I was boxed into the merge lane and at their mercy way too often. Unfortunately, there are people who like to take out their aggression by toying with other drivers. Sometimes the best way to avoid trouble is to shoot ahead of it before it can catch you. The normally aspirated engine couldn't do this and the light-turbo does it pretty darn well. Of course, the horsepower wars have heated up and even the formerly modest Altima can be had in pony-car trim...
    Your are quite mistaken on your horsepower values. All 960s and S90s starting in 1995 came with a 2.9 liter, 181hp inline six. No wonder you were pleased with the acceleration, your car had thirteen more horsepower and was a much smoother engine than the non-turbo 2.4 liter inline five. Incidentally, the same engine is now 197hp in an S80 2.9.
    It was 181HP....wouldn't think 13 add'l HP would make that much of a difference though....having said that, I now recall my 850 had the 168 HP and that car moved OK (lack of acceleration was never a problem), though not as "zippy" as the S90. Guess that's why I bought the S90 instead of the S70...lol
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    I have an S60 with the 168HP engine. Acceleration is adequate for my needs, whether it's city driving, freeway driving, or even cruising up to the 8,000+ feet level in the local mountains around Los Angeles.
  • fedakjfedakj Member Posts: 5
    The CAN and USA models are not identical in basic configuration and the option list is unique for each country. Therefore, direct comparison is not realistic. Based on my experience, in Canada we pay less for the base car and for the options.
    Ask a large Volvo dealer in your area or call
    McMillan Suanders at 906-677-4320 for correct information.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I'm 6'2" and over 250# and found the S60 just too tight to be comfortable. Also ruled out the TL & A4 for same reasons. Now making final choice of A6 vs staying with a GS300 mainly due to space considerations. Had considered 9-5's and found space ok but wanted more luxury than it really offered.
  • holmgrenholmgren Member Posts: 3
    Rolling in on the power topic, the S60s 168hp is sufficient in most situations. I live in Germany and have no problems with passing or merging on the autobahn...not sure how the automatic kick-down is though since I have a 5 speed. Good situational awareness and third gear have served me well here. Just don't cut in front of a someone going 140! The base Volvo does well here and is comfortable up to 115-120 mph. I would encourage potential buyers to look seriously at the base S60 with the 5 speed...although I've never seen one on the lot in the states (mine was Volvo Overseas ordered).
    Had you considered the Volvo S80? The driver's room as well as the backseat and trunk room is generous. The seats in the T6 sedan are slightly different (more comfortable, more supportive) than in the 2.9 sedan. Staying with your Lexus is a fine choice, but between the A6 and an S80 the reliability reports are the same, so your only decision would need to be based on your overall comfort and driving impression.

Good Luck! And let us know your choice!
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    Hi everyone, just got through reading all the posts and you guys have been extremely informative. I have a 2002 S60 T5, black sapphire metallic with black leather and aluminum trim to match the spaceball...it is stunning! It finally came in after 90 days and is sitting in a lot waiting for me to pick it up! Questions:

1. ISO-FIX I can't seem to get a straight answer on whether the car has it or not. Anybody know? How does a carseat fit in the S60 anyways?

2. Tires. Not a fan of all-seasons, the car comes with P6 all-seasons, and I got a credit and went with Dunlop SP8000s instead. I need winter tires anyway so might as well get summers, right? Just wondering for those who have serious tires on the S60, has this improved the handling and sportiness substantially? Any experiences?

3. Sport Suspension. I ordered the Sport Package which comes with DSTC and the 17" THOR wheel. Anybody else have this? Seems lke the mags always get the 17" Tethys wheel but no Sport Susp. Any experiences with this package?

Thanks for any input.
  • desaljsdesaljs Member Posts: 24
    cmnott,

I do have a recommendation for you on Winter tires. I drive a 2001 S60 2.4T and went with a package from tirerack.com. I ordered Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires(205/55/16) on Sport Edition Fox 5 wheels. I found this to be a great package in terms of noise and handling on wet and dry roads. I never had a chance to test in heavy snow (an easy Winter here in central Illinois), so I cannot attest to how well they work in deep snow. The wear has been negligable so far (about 4000 miles) and I am very pleased with them.

Enjoy your ride!!
  • thequillthequill Member Posts: 4
    Once again Consumer Reports (Cars 2002) does not recommend the Volvo S60. Can any of you S60 owners shed any light as to why?
    Consumer Reports magazine fails to recommend many cars that are still popular with drivers: BMW X5; Mercedes S-class, M-class, and CLK coupe; Audi TT and A6; Volkswagen New Beetle; and Volvo V70 and S80 among many others. CR is not entirely consistent in their recommendations. In one book or mag they will recommend a car model and in another they won't or will give it a different "bubble". Case in point: the Volvo S80. In the April 2002 magazine, the car is given a solid black dot (bad) on page 71 because of its three model-year average reliability, then on page 89 the 2001 model is given a checkmark to indicate that for the 2001 model only the reliability has been at least average compared to all other 2001 cars. So CR can be misleading.
  • tensortensor Member Posts: 25
    I think the problem with Consumer Reports is that their sample is only their subscribers. They tout virtually everything Japanese, most people pay a premium for what they get and don't like to admit that something is or went wrong. We have a had a couple of Japanese cars in the family and found them to be no better or worse than others we have had. They can have things go wrong just like any make. After all, look in the service departments of a Honda or Toyota dealer and they are totally booked. Everyone cannot be in there only for an oil change.
  • lisa62lisa62 Member Posts: 7
    Greetings, fellow Volvo nuts! I'm new to your forum, and I'm considering buying an S60 very shortly. My current lease ends late April, so I've been out visiting dealers these last 2-3 weeks, and I have a test drive scheduled this weekend at one of them. Your postings tend to be insanely informative, so I thought I'd go ahead and join your forum (after many months of watching), because I need your help with a few questions.

An aside -- Hey, rollie...go Tech!!! I'm a geek, er, I mean a *grad*, too, 93 & 95. Your postings are all quite informative. Thanks...

OVERSEAS DELIVERY QUESTIONS:
    Timing: The website says it takes 10 to 12 weeks to get it here, and something like 40 to 50 days once you turn it in at the port over there. Anybody know how "booked" their build schedule is at the moment? Anybody get one recently (Feb/March?) and know what the timing is/was like? Because I only HAVE 10 or 12 weeks before I need to have it in hand, and if they're backordered or something, it'd blow my timing needs. (10-12 weeks is already too close for comfort.)

OSD Price: Do any of you recall what your pricing was like on your OSD S60's? I've read your T5 posts, but I'm looking at the base 2.4 (non-Turbo), and I'd like the auto trans (not Geartronic), MIMAS 16" alloys, and probably leather & CD, but not a whole lot else. Why am I asking YOU guys? My dealer has been anything but forthcoming with this info -- after several phone calls to them about OSD. When I first asked they told me timing was REALLY like 24 weeks! I countered that the website said 10-12. They then backed down, but I still can't get pricing out of them. They're acting almost "secretive" about OSD, and it has taken me 3 phone calls just to get what little info I now have. I know they'd rather sell me something off their lot, but is there any OTHER reason for the resistance I'm getting? I'm not even saying I'm going to do it. I just want info on it to see if it's worth it price-wise (and if it can meet my time constraints). I thought I read that they get some type of incentive if I do OSD. Maybe it stinks?

Don't know about you guys, but the thought of savings thousands on my dream car *and* getting a free trip out of it, to boot, is just too cool to pass up! Any details, prices in particular, would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for any OSD details you might have.
    I saw a post about this a long time ago, but never saw an answer, so I'll go ahead and ask.

Does getting your Volvo serviced somewhere OTHER than a Volvo dealership void your 48 mo/50K warranty? I can see why you'd want to have major repairs done at the Volvo dealership (using Volvo parts), but is there any harm in paying an oil-change chain to do oil changes for $20 rather than the $50+ at the Volvo dealership, assuming you're handy enough to do the other stuff like check your tire pressures & fluids?

Call me a cynic, but I fear I won't be getting a straight answer when I ask my dealer this question, because they have a vested interest (profit!) in me using their facilities & services.
    Apologies if this is not the proper forum to post this question, but this didn't seem to fit under any of the other Volvo Owners Club board titles.

I'm seeking Southeast Michigan dealership service experiences. I scoured the web for comments about service experiences at Volvo dealerships here in Southeast Michigan (Sesi, Dwyer & Sons, Suburban), and didn't find much. I'm no shade-tree mechanic, so I'm bound to be in the service department of one of these three at one point or another, even if it's just for regularly scheduled maintenance. Do any of you Volvo owners here in SE Michigan have anything to share, good, bad, or otherwise?
  • alfaberalfaber Member Posts: 19
    thequill: I think CU feels that Volvo quality has slipped recently. To get a recommendation, the car not only has to be good, but the reliability has to be somewhat above average. This is presumably why so few American cars are recommended.
    As a satisfied 1995 850 Turbo owner, I was very distressed to see this when I was shopping last year for a new car. Reading the S80 board here was even more depressing. I ended up with an Infinit I35 (after test driving an S60 among others) as being the best value and most reliable near-luxury car I could find. I felt the S60 was a bit overpriced, was a bit small, lacked a nav system, and under the new Ford regime, might have questionable reliability, though I had been very happy with my 850.
    --Andy