Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Diamante

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    over time the transmission will learn to shift more aggressively. hang in there.
  • simatossimatos Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I need some help on figuring out few problems on my 92 Diamante. First the key is stuck in the ignition and it wont come out, it starts the car so I am using a spare to open/lock the door, any idea what the problem might be.

Second the car failed emmision and has recently been blowing a thick white smoke, this problem happened right after an oil change. can somebody please help me figure out the problems, because I am tired of my mechanic ripping me off, and also if its a major or minor problem.
  • timtrantimtran Member Posts: 29
    at Fairfield and Vallejo (CA) Mitsubishi. I wish I needed a car!
  • vivonavivona Member Posts: 410
    sam73455 -- 10,000 miles is plenty of mileage for the transmission to learn your driving habits. I don't know if Mitsubishi publishes that actual number of miles, but I expect it is more like 50. The RPM at which your transmission shifts into 4th gear depends on how swiftly you are accelerating. For instance, a full throttle acceleration will delay shifts to about 6,000 RPM. If the transmission is waiting until 4,000 RPM even with gentle acceleration, I would suspect a sensor may not be giving the computer the correct input. See if your transmission computer shows any error codes.

As to the tire vibration, the tires must be balanced using a force variance machine like the Hunter GSP9700. Read all about it at http://gsp9700.com This machine places a roller against the tire with 700 pounds of force while the tire is being rotated for balancing. This measures the variance of the sidewall stiffness around the circumference of the tire and takes that into account when selecting the proper balancing weights. The resulting measurement is expressed in pounds of variance. You want each tire to have less than 15 pounds of variance after balancing.

Mr. Vivona
    anyone seen the 04 yet?
  • qmccallqmccall Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking about buying a used 1997-98 Mitsubishi Diamante because it is great used car value;however, I am being scared away from the car because i kept reading about transmission problems. Does this car have a bad transmission or am I reading just a small sampling of defects? Please advice. Thank you.
    The 1997 had a service bulletin for a transmission upgrade to improve shift feel. Even including that issue, the Diamante has had an excellent reliability rating, including the transmission, for all years. Please see the Diamante ratings at http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?state=used&mak- e=Mitsubishi&model=Diamante&src=category#used

You will see that every year of Diamante gets the full five green marks for tops in reliability. Clicking on the green bar for each year will take you to the details for the reliability rating. You can also click "Get More Information" and read all the reviews and owner comments. You can also check out what a fair purchase price would be.

I think you will love a Diamante and have a good ownership experience. I have two (1999 and 2002) and both are real gems!

Mr. Vivona
  • qmccallqmccall Member Posts: 3
    I want to thank you so much for your advice....how would I go about learning of the service bulletin and it's number? Is there any service manual that you would recommend? any other important resources or advice you can give me on this car? Thanks
    Here is the service bulletin info on the 1997 Diamante transmission:
    MITSUBISHI DIAMANTE 1997
    Service Bulletin Num : 97110123014
    Date of Bulletin: NOV 01, 1997
    Component: POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:UNIVERSAL JOINT
    Summary: SOME CUSTOMERS MAY REPORT HARSH SHIFTING DURING 2-3 UPSHIFT.

Your dealer's service department should be able to show you the full text of the service bulletin.

The Mitsubishi Factory Service Manual is by far the best manual for do-it-yourself repairs. But, it will cost you over $100 from the dealer's parts department. You can get the best price by buying it though one of the many Mitsubishi dealers that sell at wholesale through www.parts.com, One such dealer is http://www.mitsubishiparts.com/default.php though you will have to contact them at 1-800-357-1892 to get a price on a service manual because it is not listed in their online store. Make sure you get a quote for a service manual, not an owner's manual.

As to aftermarket, the only one I know of is the Chiltons at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0801993156/qid=1069- 699831/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-0008596-4117434?v=glance&n=50784- 6 It is nowhere as comprehensive as the Mitsubishi manual, but it is under $20 and will give you a lot of what you need for doing your own service.

Probably the most accurate review of the 1997 Diamante can be found at http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?ReviewID=338

Mr. Vivona
  • chrism07924chrism07924 Member Posts: 3
    My power steering seems to be dying on my 98 Diamante. About 4-5 months ago, it started groaning and "grinding" when making wide or sharp turns. This, coupled with the tell tale drops of fluid on my garage floor suggested the power steering fluid. No, I've never had it flushed. The car has 100k miles on it give or take. The P/S fluid refill was bone dry upon inspection, and so I filled it and have since refilled it when I hear the noise. The results are usually the same - immediately stopping the groaning noise and steering becomes silky smooth...for a while. Then, the leaks and the groans come back in spades weeks later, sometimes days later. I had Mitsu Svc inspect it and they say I need a new rack. There explanation for this was something like "these racks just start leaking when they get old. Or, it may have been damaged somehow". Ok. Apparently, these things are big money to replace (I had to sit down to stop from passing out at the cost) - about $800 something, and I'm not even sure if that includes tax. Assuming that it is the rack that is the cause of the problems, what if any danger is there in continuing driving this vehicle and replacing the fluid when needed? I've not had a problem (except the messy leaks) doing this (until I can afford the repair) ...until the other day, when I apparently put too much P/S fluid in the refill area; I have what I can only describe as VERY LOOSE steering, and an on again off again bizarre drifting type effect when I go into a tight turn at fast speeds. Replacing the tires didn't make a difference. Could the P/S rack or the fluid levels being undoubtedly maxed out be causing the weird drift? Thanks.
    brought in the D for servicing today

sales dude informed me of new additional incentive for current mitsu owners....another 3000 off on Diamantes.

WOW, that's more incentives than GM even, hehe.

showed me an ad for a 29k list Diamante for like 19,000.

get it now......

I wanted to test drive the Lancer Ralliart, but they didn't have one. Took out an OZ rally and really liked the car.....very nice small car. Excellent steering.
  • diamantdiamant Member Posts: 7
    Well, lately my wife has been driving our 02 Diamante and recently she told me that she has been putting 87% gas in it. I realized that it does not have the same pick as before. Does it now need some fuel filter cleaning?

Also I have put on about 33K miles in less than 2 years and the 30K miles maintainence package costs $599 at the Mitsubishi dealerships. I don't want to spend that kind of money. What is the recommended service for 30K miles? So far I only had oil changes. I got a K&N air filter when the car had 15K miles and don't think it will need replacement.
    i was checking that out yesterday, coincidentally

the dealer here had the 30k maintenance pkg. advertised for some absurdly high number like that.

WASTE OF CASH.

here was the primary bits i caught the most of it

oil change
    tranny flush
    coolant flush
    chaeck belts hoses and brakes
    lube some hinges and driveline parts
    check driveline components
    change plugs and air filter

and probably some other stuff

thing is, it didn't appear to me to be anything worth 5-600 bucks.

I'd think a non-dealer service center could do this much cheaper.

as far as the gas goes, an extra dollar per fill won't equate to much more than 50 bucks a year. a drop in the pan compared to your car payment.

better to keep the engine clean.
  • diamantdiamant Member Posts: 7
    The dealership here does a lot extra, like tire rotation. I believe that's $200 at Mitsubishi dealerships.

Thanks for the info. I think that anything over $150 for the services is too much. I could have done that myself but coolant and transmission fluild flush needs equipment that I don't have.
  • n6547tn6547t Member Posts: 7
    The antilock brake warning light is on steady and the traction control light flashes until I push the traction control off button then both lights stay on steady. Can you put jumper wire in the scan plug to obtain a code as to which wheel sensor is a problem? Where is this plug and what code should I be looking for??
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I would only get the tranny serviced at the dealer. I just had the 30k tranny flush done for my 02 Lancer at the dealer for $150. My manual says the coolant only needs to be flushed at 60k (the Diamante should be the same here). The spark plugs are capable of lasting 60k or more with no problems so I would put that off to 60k as well. The rest of the "checks" are simply a money maker for the dealer. You can have them rotate the tires if you feel you need it, but that shouldn't cost more then $40.

Let me forewarn you though that Mitsu trannys are sensitive to the type of fluid used. I'm friends with my local dealer's service foreman. He said Mitsu will refuse to honor the powertrain warranty on the tranny should it fail due to using dextron fluid. Most quick lube joints use dextron, which is a thicker fluid then the SP3 that Mitsu uses. He said some trannys will operate ok on it and others failed after 10k. One guy was forced to go after super lube to get the tranny replaced because Mitsu wouldn't honor the warranty due to not using the proper fluid. With that in mind, I would either have the tranny serviced at the dealer or buy the fluid at a Mitsu dealer, make sure the shop uses that fluid, and keep the receipt. If you do go to the dealer, just specify you want the tranny service and that's it. You don't have to do the "30k package".
    Do you know where I can verify this 3k rebate for returning Mitsu customers?? I'm currently semi interested in trading in my Lancer for an 04 XG350. The Diamante is in the same class and if they offer that kind of deal, it would make it easier to trade in my Lancer with negative equity as well as stay in the reliable Mitsu family. The only problem is, the other half really likes the XG's looks. We aren't sure if we want to waste the money to upgrade to a more expensive car when my Lancer has been flawless in build quality and reliability (OZ automatic). But the desire to have a luxury car is intoxicating.
    ads in the paper here and also confirmed by a salesman at local dealer.

check with your dealer and also visit mitsucars.com

one dealer here has an 03 VR-X with 4k miles on it......if you would settle for lightly used its a great deal right now but no rebates. price is still cheaper than new. VR-X is sport version of Diamante.

Basically figure 9-10 grand off list for new Diamante if you have loyalty.

An XG is based on the Diamante anyways although in some ways has surpassed the Diamante. Either car is a nice car. XG is more traditional luxury cues.

You have an OZ, right? I tested a manual OZ on Saturday and really liked it for the 12k price it was selling at. New.No ABS on it tho.
    Yea, I have an OZ automatic. It's been a great car! 31k trouble free miles, but the lack of luxury leaves me wanting more. Unfortunately, I bought the Lancer within a couple of months of it being released and it was the only OZ on the lot so I paid sticker. Thus, in combination with 000, I'm way upside down on the loan, so the 7k rebate would make the Diamante plausible, although I would still basically be paying 28k for a car that isn't worth that much. Uggh, I can't believe how badly resale has fallen for Mitsu. I would venture to say its now worse then Hyundai.

What is your thought on this deal: I called a dealer who is 85 miles away. I spoke directly with the sales manager and he realized he would only have one shot at selling me a car. He has 1 03 D left, a black LS with gray interior but no traction control/heated seats (I would love to have the heated seats :( ), which I think is exactly what I'm looking for. The manager said he would give $1500 off sticker right off the bat plus the 7k in rebates. He gave a ballpark of 6-7k for my Lancer, which is ludicrous. I wouldn't take anything less then 8k. So, here's the lowdown: 27,500 for the D - 8k for lancer * .06 sales tax = 20677 + 16049 (payoff on Lancer, dont ask) - 7k = 29700 roughly. I might try to get him to drop down 1k or so, but it might be difficult. I know the deal is absolutely crazy, but what do you think? Is it possible to get the price of the D down any further and keep the tradein where its at? The thing that attracts me most about this deal, is even with all my negative equity I won't have to finance more then 100% of the car's worth, which should help me get a good interest rate. My Lancer's interest rate is 9.9 and I already planned on trying to trade it in a year from now which would put me still about the same negative equity but without the huge owner loyalty rebates.

I feel I'm at a disadvantage since its the only D he has left that I could use the nice big rebate on and he knows that. But I also know the D has been on his lot 3-5 months and Mitsu sales are hurting. So help me out....have I lost my mind??
    if the MSRP on an LS is 27,500 you should in theory get 2500+4000+3000 off that. 18-18.5 should be where the LS is.

Used rental return D's are in big abundance here, which is why I've had 2 of them.

As pleasant as a Diamante is I would have major issues paying over 20 for a new one. And your negative equity would leave you stuck way behind on the D. After 6 months you would owe 28 but the car wholesale would be worth 15.

In your scenario a lease may work better for you.

Get a Ralliart instead....LOL.
    The sticker is actually 29,007 with destination so the 27,500 would include the 1500 discount he mentioned. I think he can do better then that discount though. I plan on buying gap insurance with this car to protect myself from Mitsu's bad resale. Here's what I thought of offering him: $28,500 out the door with all dealer fees, discounts, rebates, and gap insurance included. Then I would probably put down 1-2k on my credit card and require an interest rate around 5% for 6 years. I know this is hardly a deal, but Mitsu must realize that the 000 deal is keeping many people from returning so this rebate offsets the negative equity issue. The stipulation is, if I bought this car, then I'm gonna keep it at least 5-7 years, so resale won't matter too much to me. I've bought 4 new cars in the past 3 years and this has got to stop!

Have you been satisfied with the build quality of your 2 d's? Any interior finish issues or rattles? Engine smooth and quiet and how is the highway ride? How is the fuel economy? This car would mostly be driven in the city, so 19-21 mpg would be nice.
    I also just discovered I can get another $500 rebate as a recent college grad since I'm within the 2 year time limit. So maybe I can get away with 27,500-28k?
    I'll review the numbers later, but yes been very satisfied with them.

The climate control is a little undersized as far as how much heat it can put out in -10 weather and the window glass seems thin. I've had some loose rear weatherstripping, no big deal. Got that fixed. My ES seats I find a little uncomfortable sometimes. The LS and VRX seats are better. The v6 can be coarse sounding at idle or under accelration but doesn't vibrate much. It becomes much smoother at certain rpms and certainly way better than say, a GM 3800. I have gotten 20-27 mpg routinely and about 24 on average in heavy traffic. I never have to worry about these cars. You drive em, it runs. Its an easy car to own. It just goes about its business. Like my Prizm (corolla) did. Its like you never have to worry about it. A totally trustworthy car.

that said, I know there are sedan that are more enjoyable. The 2003 Maxima and current Mazda 6 are better choices as far as total refinement. The new Galant may even be more pleasurable.

But I think the Diamante is a great classy alternative to a Taurus, mostly all GM sedans, etc. A lot of folks who like the blandness of the Accord and Camry would like the simialr demeanor of the Diamante.

If you buy it at the right price its a really good car. If I had more money I would buy something nicer, sure.....but they feel well built and they are quiet and composed cars that give the impression that you got more than what you paid for. Even if they are dated and not best in class. There are no real glaring flaws or signs of cheapness.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I wonder if financing $25,000 or so on a car that would appraise for $14,000-$15,000 the next day is a good idea? I know the new car bug better than anyone but you would automatically be $10,000 in the hole. Heaven forbid that circumstances were to change and you needed out of this vehicle. Maybe you should try selling the Lancer privately or at least opting for a 2003 low mileage Diamante for around $17,000-$18,000.
    The only real reason I'm considering the deal is because of the rebates. I think I can get away with buying the Diamante and have monthly payments at the most $50 more per month so I'm not too worried about getting in a bind because with either car I'd be screwed. Buying a used Diamante would mean I couldn't get the rebates and then trading in a car with such a high negative equity would make it impossible. And you better believe I will be buying gap insurance on this car! Trying to sell an 02 Lancer would be difficult. So few buyers have that much cash or good enough financing to buy privately like that and the deals on new ones are good. The last time I attempted to sell a car, it took 2 months. There's no way I can pay for 3 car payments a month for that long and then still have to deal with the negative equity!
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    You have an 02 Lancer you want to trade in? Couldn't you wait till 05 to buy a Diamante? It will probably be the same body style. 3 years is usually enough for depreciation of a car to bottom out.

Do you still have payments on the Lancer? If so for how many years?
    Well, I went ahead and did the deal today. I bought a black/gray LS. I turned down the 4k rebate to get 0% for 6 years!!! I couldn't believe I finally have good enough credit to get 0% (I'm only 24). I ended up with $3,500 worth of rebates, which included the 3k loyalty rebate and $500 college grad rebate. I paid more for the car then I should, but I was in an Xmas mood and felt I should help support Mitsu and the poor dealer (no one was at the dealer when I got there; only 2 customers 3 hours later).

The car is beautiful! I'm so glad I got the old BMW style front end treatment and the black helps the chrome stand out and looks real classy. It rides like a dream and the power is great (a little slow off the line, but I think thats because the accelerator pedal has more travel then my other car; dig a little deeper and the engine has a sweet growl and the car hauls butt). I can't get over how well it smothers bumps. Handling is better then I expected considering the soft ride, but lean is noticeable when any sudden steering changes are made. Fit and finish was good, except for the glovebox (it's crooked and sagging some on the left side). The car feels and sounds as tight as a drum; I hope it stays that way. Brakes feel a little soft, but I'm sure that will improve after they break in some. The tranny adapted to my style quickly; it shifts very smoothly and downshifts pretty quick. The driver's seat is taking some getting used to. I'm still trying to find the sweet spot. The passenger seat feels better to me and the rear seat is downright sofa comfy. The Lexus-like "luminance" gauges are so cool; the red laser needles turn on before the actual gauges light up. The gauges definitely add a touch of luxury car flair. The leather smells, looks, and feels nice and I love the gathered look on the door panels. The Infiniti sound system is excellent! Parking the car is taking some getting used to; I'm not used to such a long car so I keep parking it crooked. Best of all, my friends loved the car and were gushing about how nice it was. That made me beam with pride (what can I say, I want people to like my ride). Even though I know the Diamante isn't a high status car, it still makes me feel like I'm in one.

My list of disappointments is small and pointed directly at Mitsu's cost cutting: I wish all the power window switches were lit like on my former 93 D. The lack of standard heated side mirrors and side impact airbags is ridiculous in this class of car. The rearview mirror should be electrochromic. The interior door handles would look better if they were chrome. The stereo should look different then the one on the lowly Lancer. Lastly, the interior is a bit dark in the middle since it lacks a center dome light (they should at least put a bulb in the center of the front dome light instead of just having the map lights that point at the seats). Other then these minor quibbles, I like the car a lot. If it upholds the Mitsu quality that I have come to expect, it should stay reliable for many years to come.
    congrats! keep me up to date on the new rig....curious, did you look at the VRX?
    I have seen the VRX in person before, but my D was the only one out of the 2 closest dealers. I liked the black leather (I much prefer the 2 tone black dash/gray leather), but I thought the spoiler was a bit too overdone (a simple wing like on the Lancer OZ is more to my liking) and I didn't like the white gauges with red lighting.

Question for you: Do you find the horn wimpy sounding? There appears to be 2 separate horns, but only one is used for the regular horn whereas both are used for the alarm. Is there anyway to make both horns work or have you added a dual note horn system to replace the single high note one? Also, where the heck is the actual horn? The alarm horn is on the left fender in plain view but the other one sounds like its buried somewhere on the right fender. My Lancer had 2 loud horns so I need to do something about the cheap sounding horn!
    the horn is weak, but I haven't used it really so far, knock on wood.

Ingtonge did you ever come across any performance parts for your Lancer, if I consider buying an 03 leftover OZ I would want to add some cheap hp to it. I'd also like to know if ABS can be added to a non ABS car at the dealer.........

The wing on the VRX is a bit much, yes.....

i think the VRX has an automanual shifter.....does the LS have one?
    Dang, you should have bought my OZ and saved me a bundle of money! LOL. As far as ABS goes, it's not possible to add it at the dealer. I live in Florida and only ran into one situation where the front brakes locked and almost led me to rearending someone. Otherwise, I found them competent. If winter weather is involved though, I could see why you would want it.

There are performance parts available for the Lancer; interest grew substantially after the EVO was released. The amount of power you can add is limited though (about 10-15 hp is available), unless you are willing to move into turbocharging. Most of the performance parts are geared towards handling and brakes.

Do you know any good places to buy Mitsu accessories (like mudguards etc) for the D at a discount price?
    I forgot to mention that none of the Diamante models have an automanual shifter. There is no reason they couldn't have used the same shifter from the Galant/Endeavor. It's a shame Mitsu ignored this model so long because its a nice car.
    actually for 2004 now I think you can get the automanual, i had thought 03 on the VRX they had it.

your OZ was an automatic! want a stick!

I haven't come across any D accesories on the net, although i have spent a lot of time looking at web pages for the Diamante / Magna that are in Austrailia where the car is made and is more popular. type Mitsubishi Magna in google and see what you find. There are a zillion versions of the Diamante down there. Go to the Mitsubishi Austrailia website too, they might have some info.
    Anyone ever had air leaks around the front passenger side window? Mine is making a rushing sound at speeds above 55 right above the triangular plastic piece. Pushing out on the weatherstrip makes the noise stop so I know its not the side mirror. I'm wondering if this is a simple door adjustment or will this require replacing the entire weatherstrip? So I guess my car has 2 manufacturer defects, the air leak and the glovebox fit. Not too bad, but my Lancer only had a paint problem on the side ground effect.
    the frameless windows may occasionally leak. i just had the rear weatherstripping reattached but my fronts have never leaked on either D I have had. Actually the thinner glass is not as quiet as other mfr's cars.

considering the frameless glass I am amazed at how quiet the windows are. Since my W/S was fixxed in the rear, NO noise anymore from the doors. Dealer should be able to take care of it.

Maybe Mr. Vivona can offer some advice here. He is the 'expert' source for all things Diamante and is very experienced with them.
    Does anyone have any experience using Mitsu's paint warranty? I'm really disappointed in the quality of the paint job on my car. In direct sunlight, it has all sorts of swirls and smears and terrible orange peel. I waxed the car today, hoping that was all it needed, but it still looks like crap and the paint doesn't feel completely smooth like it normally does after a wax job (I can almost feel the cracks that you see as orange peel). I also noticed a small area where something looks like it ate through the paint and a few very small hard paint blobs (looks as if something got stuck under the paint). This is the weirdest black color I have ever seen. It's not a true black, but rather a black with green metallic flakes. It looks like a dark sparkly emerald green in direct sunlight but black otherwise. Anyway, does the paint warranty cover these kind of imperfections? Do I have to demand that a Mitsu reginal rep come look at the car to get it fully repainted? I want to bring it to the attention of my dealer immediately so they can't claim I did something to ruin the finish. As a back up, I do have the "paint sealant" warranty from the dealer I bought it from, but lord knows what kind of repair job you get through that. I'm so disgusted because my Lancer had a beautiful finish and it cost half what this car did. How does the finish look on other Diamantes? Anyone with the black color? Please help with any advice you may have.
    my platinum whites have been good. the mitsu black isn't a pure black, I don't think.
    I took my car in today to have the 3 manufacturer defects fixed. It was painless thankfully, but since the Diamante is so rare, parts are rarely stocked. I need new weatherstripping for the front passenger window, an entire new glovebox since the current one is bent (thus the poor fit), and a wheel alignment to fix the steering wheel's cock to the right. Parts were ordered but it will be about 2 weeks before the defects are fixed. So far the Australian plant that builds these things has not lived up to the high build quality standards set by the Japanese plant. How on earth a bent glovebox was installed and got through inspections is beyond me. The weatherstipping was actually loose and could be peeled off by your fingers, but the service guy reattached it and it still made noise. Oh well, the car wasn't perfect from the get go but as long as this is all I have to get fixed under warranty, I will remain a happy Mitsu owner. As for the paint, it looks good when not in direct sunlight and looked fine today so I really couldn't complain about it. It's not a high quality paint job and I'm not really satisfied with it, but I guess it will have to do. I also realize black shows imperfections more.

An interesting observation: a relay under the driver's side of the dash goes berserk when my cell phone rings. I had the phone sitting in the bin under the stereo. I thought I remember someone else mentioning this odd occurence. Why would a cell phone cause a relay to click on and off rapidly? I also have heard some loud valve tapping in the first few seconds of a cold start. Anyone else encountered this? I know its not really harmful to the car, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had this and fixed it by using a thicker oil.

Other then these issues, the car has been doing good. It has over 600 miles already and fuel economy for the first 2 tanks was 19-20 mpg. Not bad considering the engine is far from broken in.
    it should loosen up....we get 24-25 mpg consistently and have gotten as much as 27 and even 30 before.

the tranny will become more aggressive over time. ours kicks down RIGHT NOW. didn't use too.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Cell phones can do crazy things to cars sometime. I had a 2001 Accord EX V6 coupe and couldn't figure out why there was interference in my stereo at times. Right before scheduling an appointment to have my radio looked at I realized that it only happened when my cell phone was on and in the storage bin beneath the stereo. Moved the phone to the armrest storage compartment and it never happened again.
    Ingtonge, welcome back to the Diamante family. I do remember you from the old days and have followed your postings here and in the Galant forum. You always have good comments.

A leak around the door can be caused by a door misalignment, a window misalignment, a delta misalignment, or an improperly seated weatherstrip. The service manual gives specific alignment instructions for the fit of the door, the glass, and the delta piece that holds the tweeter. If any of these pieces are not adjusted to spec, you can have a wind leak. In a minor case, a quick fix is to insert a small piece of peel-and-stick weatherstrip under the regular weatherstrip to bulge it out just a bit to improve the seal. Hopefully, the new weatherstrip will solve your problem. But if it doesn't, you will have to check the alignments.

As to the glass thickness, the front glass is 5mm which is thicker than the usual 4mm. I recall reading an Infinity ad bragging about their 5mm glass thickness and measured my Diamante to find the same thickness.

Mr. Vivona
    My only complaint about my 1999 Diamante has been the Goodyear Eagle GA tires. When my car was new, it took several tire swapouts and balancing with a Hunter GSP9700 force variance machine to get the original set to stop vibrating at 60-70 MPH. But all the vibrating started a scalloped wear pattern that just got worse with the miles and in the last 15,000 miles they had become quite noisy.

At 35,000 miles one of the front tires finally was worn enough to justify my changing the set out. I did some research and both Consumer Reports and the user reviews on Tire Rack led me to the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H. I have been very happy with Turanzas in the past and have always figured that I would replace the Goodyear Eagles with them. But, I found the best price for a set of four Turanza LS-Hs would cost me a total price of $575. Actually, the Turanza was in second place in the Consumer Reports test. First place was the Falken ZE-512, a tire I had never heard of.

I was surprised to find that a set of Falkens would only cost a total of $299, with a tire cost at 50% of the Turanzas. I checked some web forums and found a lot of happy Falken ZE-512 owners. So I have taken a chance and had them put on my Diamante. They are smooth and quiet and handle well. They have better grip under acceleration than the Goodyears did when new. And they don't vibrate.

So, time will tell if the Falcon ZE-512 is a good choice for the Diamante. I will keep you posted.

By the way, despite my specific instructions to hand torque the lug nuts, I checked immediately afterwards and found the lug nuts to be torqued all different, some at 30ft lbs and most over 160 ft lbs. Had I not checked, I would experience brake pulsation in 3,000 miles. This is a battle I will never win with mechanics. Even with hand tools, they seem to think overtightening is good, or just don't know how to properly use a torque wrench. They also left all tires at 40psi (required for balancing) and scratched my rims by using a standard tire mounting machine instead of a touchless mounter. Thank goodness I only have to replace tires only once or twice in the life of the car. I do my own rotations.

My wife is about 3 years away from tire replacement on her 2002 Diamante. Her Goodyears appear to be starting the bad wear pattern, a problem mentioned by most of the reviewers on Tire Rack. 60% of those reviewers said they would not buy the Goodyear Eagle tires again. I agree.

I would be interested in hearing what other replacement tires are being used on Diamantes, particularly the second generation (97+) models.

Mr. Vivona
  • amlanamlan Member Posts: 7
    I have a 93 Diamante ES with 129000 miles on it. Runs very nice. The only problem is that it is burning oil..about 1 quart every 700 miles. I do not see any smoke from the exhaust at all. Recently it also cleared the state inspection with flying colors. The mileage has also dropped from 20 mpg to 17 mpg. Could this be the valve seals? If so..how much would it cost me to fix this problem? I do not see any leaks at all.Also does anyone know a good mechanic in Dallas, TX for the Diamante?
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    I'm not a fan of the GA's either but typically I have liked Goodyears overall. Certainly better than the Yokohamas my 01 had.

04 Galant vs. Diamante, pros and cons? I see the 04 Galant moves out and has nice room.
    The 3.0 SOHC engine in the 92-95 Diamante ES is known for weak valve guide seals that will cause some oil consumption, especially on higher mileage engines. Most likely the valve guide seals are the culprit of your oil burning problem. I can't tell you how much it would cost though. If the car isn't visibly smoking and still passes state inspections, then I wouldn't worry about fixing it. Just keep an eye on the oil level and you will be fine. The car can run many more miles like that.
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    Regarding oil consumption, I have notice a small amount on my 95 D with 80k (about one quart in 3 - 5000 miles). This past oil change I swithced to Castrol for High Mileage cars. It is about 50 cents more per quart but will hopefully stop the burning. I will let you know in about 6 months.
    I got back from a trip a few days ago and was thoroughly impressed with the Diamante's gas mileage and its ride on the highway. At a green 600 miles when I entered the highway, I got an amazing 25mpg at 80 mph with the AC off. I've never had a car get the listed mileage with the engine so new! My 03 Tiburon got the same mileage at those miles but its a much smaller 2.7 V6. This car must be geared just right for the highway and I'm sure the excellent aerodynamics come in play as well. I'm very pleased with the mileage of this big V6! The engine also impressed me with how quickly and easily it gains speed without straining or revving high. With 5 people in the car running errands around town, the engine didn't feel anymore strained then with just myself. And boy does this car gain speed rapidly to triple digits! I decided to test the car's high speed stability and hit 110mph without a hint of struggle. It just glided from 70-110 as if there was no wind resistance! I gotta be careful cause this car is trying to get me in trouble with the law.

The car's ride on the highway is good too, almost serene. When doing 70, it feels like u are only doing 50. I do feel a little front end float over certain dips, but not as bad as the land yachts of yore. The one thing I do notice is the structure doesn't feel as drum tight as most cars today, but thats to be expected of a platform introduced 7 years ago. Anyone even seen a strut tower brace for this car?? I think it would help quite a bit.

My car now has over 1500 miles (that's right, 1500 in 2 weeks!). I was surprised to get a call on Monday letting me know the special order parts were in. It only took 5 days, which includes a Sunday and Xmas. I have to wait till they get their alignment machine fixed so I can get all the issues fixed at one time though.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention the rivalry between a friend and I. He always has to buy a new car whenever I do; he trys to outdo me. When I bought my 03 Tiburon GT, he bought an 03 Elantra GT 2 weeks later and now that I bought the Diamante, he went and bought an 04 Endeavor a week later! GGrrrrr.....Drives me crazy that I have the newest car for all of 1 week or so. I must admit though, the Endeavor is a very nice machine. It has the solid structure I wish my car had. But at least I have him beat in luxury :)
  • chodge1chodge1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 97 Diamante last year and soon realized the transmission was slipping when climbing hills around 55 miles per hour. Upon speaking with the dealership they quickly quoted me 2500.00 for rebuilt unit. Not a happy new Mitsu camper if you know what I mean. It was suggested that I first start with a transmission flush service and yes, I got lucky. No more problem. It turns out that the Diamante transmissions like a fresh fluid flush every 30,000 miles. Cost was 125.00 and you can put money on it that I'll be back at 90,000 miles for another one. Other than that, it's easy to forget the great comfort that the car provides for during long drives.

I've had vibration in the front end since I installed new tires recently. Reading other Edmunds notes, it appears that the torqe specs may be a bit particular. My car used to have one of the softest front ends that I've ever driven. Maybe I'll see those days again.
  • charlie1970200charlie1970200 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2001ls and love the car except for the brakes...i change the front rotors 2-3 times a year because of warping usually at higher speeds...i have read mr. vivona's post's and his article on brakes and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a "do-it-yourselfer" torque wrench so i could check my wheels after the new rotors are installed....i've talked to my mechanics about it but they almost laugh at me saying only heat causes rotor warpage...in any event i cannot take them at their word that they'll hand torque my wheels
    I have 35,000 on my 1999 and 13,000 on my wife's 2003 Diamante and both cars have zero runout on the rotors (they're perfect). All it takes is keeping the wheel lug nuts torqued as I mention in my article.

I have yet to find a mechanic that knows how to properly use a torque wrench or torque stick (an extension used with an air impact wrench). Case in point, I recently put new tires on the 1999 and demanded hand tools and torqueing. They didn't even have a torque wrench and used hand tools to "guess" at the torque. Immediately after leaving the tire store I pulled off in a parking lot to check (and reset) the torque. I found the torque to vary from 30 to over 150 ft lbs. If I hadn't redone the torques to 80 ft lbs, I would have had brake pulsation within 3,000 to 5,000 miles (three times a year, you say?).

You can get torque wrenches at any auto parts store, Home Depot, Lowes and Sears. I like the Sears "digital" torque wrenches. They are much easier to set and they click when you reach the set torque. A good one is the one at http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&- vertical=TOOL&pid=00944597000

If you want to save money, get the $20 beam type at http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&- vertical=TOOL&pid=00944642000&tab=specs#tablink

In any event you want a range up to at least 150 ft lbs which will cover 90% of the bolts on a car. Yes, ANY bolt on a car should be set to the correct torque and service manuals provide torque information.

Mr. Vivona