Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• epikgtzepikgtz Posts: 18
    I have a '00 GTZ and haven't noticed any tire noise at all. In fact as someone else said above, this is the quietest car I have ever owned. I have heard lots of people complaining (not just Mitsu people) about problems with the Goodyear tires. My question is: Are the Goodyear tires the same on the GTZ as they are on the others? And do any other GTZ owners have a problem with the tires on their car?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778
    You are whistling in the dark!

VW products have dismal reliability at best. Their record speaks for itself.

But, hey, you're happy and that's what counts!
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    what car are you comparing the VW to? The Galant? I think this forum shows just how reliable the Galant is. Read the Accord forums. Read the Camry forums. Read the Benz forums. See a pattern? Yes, EVERYONE complains about their cars. There is no perfect car. Recalls and TSB's on all of them.

Now, I like the Galant. Much better than any of the other Japanese brands. It might not be as reliable, but at least it has a little personality. The Maxima does too I guess, but for thousands more. And I will never get another Nissan again......they are so awful to their customers. But I am LOVING that Mitsu financing...
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I like the Galants too, but my credit isn't good enough to qualify for the financing. I would like the GTZ too, but hear it takes premium gas. That's wayyyy too expensive now. Plus, I commute to DC from Balto. everyday, so gas would kill me.

On another note, I just bought a used 1993 Bonneville SSE with 67K for $7000 for my mother and I love it! I find myself wanting to trade in my 1999 Protege for an older Bonneville. Stupid I know, but it's a thought. :)
  • mpevznermpevzner Posts: 41
    Everyone who has ever participated in any autosports event, knows that the car should be considered TOTALED the very moment it hits the race track. Most of the mass-production cars are not built for competition and can not survive after being raced. It even applies to the limited production vehicles such as Mitsubsishi Lancer EVO, Subaru WRX, Subaru 22B, Lancia EVO and etc. Rebuilding the engine is not that uncommon if the vehicle is being raced, it can be considered a "regular maintenance" procedure if you race it regularly. I've seen Lancer engines that threw the rod, after revving at 8K RPM.
    Needless to say, knowing all that I don't abuse the vehicle too much. Racing on public roads is stupid and illegal. The only bonus you can get is a ticket or an accident, anyway. Racing a car with an automatic gearbox is stupid and no fun. I don't race my Galant. Believe me, If I ever did it, the poor thing wouldn't be able to survive these 15K miles.
    As for the Goodyer tires - we'll see if they will replace them under warranty or not. Usually those Galant owners who don't complain about tires have a 4 cyl. Galant with 15" wheels and Bridgestone tires.
  • bigb8bigb8 Posts: 6
    Ejohanss, I use GEICO for my insurance. Saved about 25% on a yearly basis. They have a 100,000 mile unlimited time extended warranty with a $250 deductible that I purchased for $72 per year. If I place 15k mls a yr on the vehicle it will last about 6 1/2 yrs. That equals out to about $432. Much cheaper than a factory warranty. I live in Dallas as well. You might want to check with them. As far as resale value is concerned, it is true that Mitsi doesn't have a high resale value. But when you get 1.9% financing you're paying mostly principal. Keep it a couple of years and you should be o.k.

Just a few things to consider...

Brian
  • vac23vac23 Posts: 118
    If you leave Geico for another insurance company, wouldn't you lose your warranty coverage or will it apply whether or not you are with Geico? 6 1/2 years is quite a long time to stay with one company without shopping around. I guess my point is if you plan on staying with Geico that long then you should consider the warranty they offer otherwise you're probably better off looking for the warranty somewhere else. it's usually cheaper if the warranty is purchased when the car is new.
  • ultratechultratech Posts: 117
    Geico is like so expensive, so even with the warranty deal you still end up paying more...
    so i would say buy extended warranty elsewhere, costs like $600-700 for a 7 year 100,000 miles . I did some insurance comparison, and it is like 500 dlls cheaper to buy with 21th century than Geico
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    You can get a brand new Galant ES 4-cylinder for close to that price with all the specials they've been having lately. Forget it.
  • epikgtzepikgtz Posts: 18
    Definitely buy new instead. On top of the fact that it won't cost you much more for a brand new one, the financing rates available from Mitsu on a new car right now (1.9% for good credit, 3.9% for "damaged" credit) would actually make your payments LESS than you would if you got used car financing (around 9.9%).

Just my two cents...
  • marcinmarcin Posts: 64
    Last June, I paid 16,700 with 0.9% for 48 months for a 1999 Galant ES. $200 more for a used car? They heve to be kidding!
  • bigb8bigb8 Posts: 6
    I don't know about 21st Century, but I'm only paying $696 per yr on my Galant for full coverage. I don't think I could find ANY insurance $500 cheaper ($196 per yr). And as far as the warranty is concerned I know from experience dealer's profit big from the warranty's they sell you. Thanks, but they were the best deal for me. Trust me I shopped around....
  • I purchased my 6 cylinder Galant ES in 5/99. I currently have 45K miles. Mileage is 27 MPG on the highway and 24 MPG in city. Eagle tires have held up well, with bars only beginning to show. No maintenance problems, minor squeak in dash and typical leakage on alloy tire rims.
    Have you done anything else to your car besides changing oil?
  • serg2serg2 Posts: 1
    Need documentation (manual) for Mitsubishi Galant'91 (body E32A, engine 4G37).
    Will appreciate any help.
  • hut100hut100 Posts: 2
    Thanks for all of your help, I was able to talk the dealer down to 13900 for an 99 Galant ES. After that discussion, he also showed me an 2000 GTZ for 15900. I am now very seriously looking at the GTZ. My wife like it, which I would be buying it for her. Once she decide which one she perfer I will let you know. I will probablly get a chance to drive it after washing it. Thanks again for you help. I will keep you posted
  • cgacga Posts: 23
    I recently bought an extra power door lock remote control unit through an online auction site and am wondering if anyone has any information on do-it-yourself programming? The remote is OEM and exactly matches the 2000 Galant ES remote I received when I bought the car. I was a little surprised when the dealer informed me their fee is $36 for this service.
    That's really unbelieveable price , maybe the dealer asdi $25,900 ???
  • hut100hut100 Posts: 2
    I asked again and he quoted me the same price, however, this was during a phone conversation. Maybe it's only a scheme to get me into the dealer. I will be visiting this dealer early next week. I will keep you posted.
  • vinny96vinny96 Posts: 1
    Hi, I am in the market for a used sedan, what would you recommend. I have around $3000 to buy a work car.
  • purp3purp3 Posts: 24
    I have a 2000 ES Silver Metallic Galant. Got the windows tinted about 2 months ago. Really looks sharp. I live in GA so I could only go 35%. So, has anyone else done it? I would recommend it because it makes the car look even sharper!
  • afuscoafusco Posts: 1
    in respnse to several post i have a 99 v6 galanmt es i love it it is black no stripe with windows tinted to 35% it looks sharrp as hell. as for the tires they arent lound just horrible i have 11k and they have 5/32 left on them i think i might take the advice ofothers and put michelins on . the stereo is so easy to upgrade with the one hitch of the odd sized 6x9 in the rear. also check out a k+n filter for 50 bucks it makes a noticable difference. i love my car and i love driving my car it looks sharp and drives just as well let me know if u want to know of any other of the upgrades ive done
  • I just got my 2000 Patriot Red Galant GTZ over the weekend and I LOVE IT!!! The handling and acceleration is just awesome. I've got to say this is one of the sharpest looking cars on the road today, especially the GTZ model.

I am considering getting the windows tinted. Can anyone tell me approximately how much that goes for? And does it have a lifetime warranty? I don't want it to start peeling after 3 or 4 years. Also, does anyone have the in-dash 6-disc changer available from Mitsubishi? That looked cool, but is it worth the 400+ dollars?
  • texrobintexrobin Posts: 13
    I will be purchasing a new car this week. I've done LOTS of homework and it's down to the Accord LX or the Galant ES V6.

I really like the Galant ES V6 and want feedback from people who have either the '99 or '00 model, good and bad (I know I'm inviting that one guy who HATES his, but that's ok). I want to know the little things like is your dash warping, plastic stuff breaking, anything rattling really bad... basicly, is it built well? Also, give me details on the engine and transmission. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    i love it and if i could have another shot i would get it in a heart beat! i had a major accident, front left corner. left $5000 in a body shop. car still runs/handles good, like before. i also have 22k miles on it and only 362 days since i bought it, but who's counting? :) so i can tell you that from my experience - just change oil every 3k miles and don't drive it like a race car and cut off other people on the road and it will be worth every penny you've paid!!! don't get me wrong with the speed here. you can have fun with the car. i'm a firefighter and this car must take my "abuse" when answering fire calls. i had to make some adjustments to accommodate lights/radios but i've done nothing to the engine, no extra filter and such. quick acceleration and braking - i have no major complaints. and this is only a 4cyl. i had a rattle from my vin plate on cold days but it's ok now.

"i just love my mitsu"
  • purp3purp3 Posts: 24
    I paid $265.00 for my window tint job. One piece in the back window. A little six inch strip on the front window. Supposed to be one of the best materials out there on the market. It filters 35% which is the darkest it can be in GA. Also, I have the lifetime tint too. So, I can go to any of the dealers in the area if I need to. So, about the person wanting to know about the Galant. I have a 4 cyl ES and it kicks butt! Getting a V-6 would be even better but I didn't want to spend the extra money. You should go for the Galant instead of the Honda. Many reasons:
    1. It is well built
    2. A lot better looking than the Honda
    3. AAA and Car and Driver picked it over Honda and Toyota.
    There are many other reasons why but these are the main 3 why I love my Galant. Good luck and keep us posted!!!
    I Love My Gal
  • upsman1upsman1 Posts: 2
    bought a 2000 galant es v6 dover white pearl in january .paid 21,164 including tax,title, destination as equipt. I've put 5k miles and not a single problem. pros= good quiet acceleration, exellent passing power, looks sharp, hugs the roads nicely yet it feels luxurios, above average cd/stereo/brakes/trunk/roominess,rear seat center shoulder belt, great value . cons=slight squeeking from the right side door pillars in the winter time( not the dash), back seat poorly designed-no grab handles-no folding seat not even split-no storage compartments, no dome light, all minor. After reading some comments the one that annoys me most are those who complain about the safety brake getting in the way.....totally impossible unless you are 237 lbs overweight!
  • cgacga Posts: 23
    Regarding the comment that "...about the safety brake getting in the way.....totally impossible unless you are 237 lbs overweight!" I am only a little taller than normal and otherwise normal sized, but like some people (perhaps not that many) I tend to drive in a relaxed fashion, with my knees as far apart as possible. This driving position sandwiches my right knee between brake lever and dashboard. I have owned and driven many cars and none but the 2000 Galant I recently bought forces my right leg into this uncomfortable position.

However, I freely admit I'm in a small minority on this issue and am relatively sure Mits. considered the position of the lever when designing it and ultimately decided it didn't inconvenience enough people to warrant changing its position. I wouldn't have bothered adding my two cents one last time but it seemed appropriate in this case. After adjusting my driving position the lever is now "merely" a minor annoyance.
  • fara3fara3 Posts: 1
    I am about to purchase a new galant es. The dealer will not come down off the ridiculous price of 18,000. Reason being, they are offering a 1.9% financing rate, I guess they have to make up for that. Can anybody stear me in the right direction on what I should say or where I should go?