Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• Options
    marcinmarcin Member Posts: 64
    Check this out, I wish US Galant looked like this. Similar to Lexus, don't you think so?
    http://www.nurek.net/taiwan_galant.jpg
  • Options
    floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    marcin: it looks like our Galant with just a little "ground effects" and tu -tone paint.

Do i remember that your car was wrecked some time back ? How did repairs turn out? my 1999 ES is doing just fine. i love the car and cannot pry it away from my wife.

floridian
  • Options
    amitsuowneramitsuowner Member Posts: 16
    True - there were some changes, but the poor quality of the car persists. For example, while driving 2 weeks ago with my left elbow on the door arm rest, I leaned on it a little to adjust my posture, and the armrest cracked! Now I'm not that big of a guy (~195lbs., 5'8"). You think the '99 is better? My father has a '99 ES and BOTH inside front door handles have already developed hairline cracks. He's 61 years old and takes good care of his cars.
  • Options
    Marcin - Hey man, if you like the looks of a Lexus, just by one. I'm looking at the 2000 ES 300. It's only about 5k more than the Galant LS, and that difference could be easily justified by the higher quality and thus fewer major repairs. In addition, then you'd be driving a Lexus, not a Lexus wannabe.
  • Options
    Floridian,
    Thanks for all your enthusiasm, but this is a CONSUMER discussion group. Since you are a manager at a Mitsubishi service station (all, see #91), you are clearly biased and have alterior motives. When I am ready for a sales pitch, I'll visit my local friendly Mitsubishi dealer.

So please, spare us the sales pitch around here so consumers can hear true feedback from fellow Mitsubishi consumers and make their purchase decisions using unbaised fellow consumer feedback.

All, other Mitsubishi employees, this applies to you too. Please don't compromise the integrity of this useful forum.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Does anyone know the cause of this or how I can prevent it?
  • Options
    I like GS model much better but it is out of range
    for my pocket now. I have to wait a couple of
    years before I can afford it. I am satisfied with
    Galant even thou it has some minor glitches. For
    the price I have paid, I can't really complain too
    much: $16,700 +tx @ 0.9% for 48mo. (I just love
    these numbers!) My friend has 2000 Diamante, all
    options. Very nice and quality is much better
    (Made in Kangaroo-Land). What I like about Galant
    is its body style. It really makes people turn
    their heads.

Film Develops on Windshield:
    I have the same problem, and it's really hard to
    keep it clean. Windex will work only for a couple
    of days :(

My wreck:
    I have a little problem with the steering wheel,
    it is not perfectly straight. But it will never be
    the same again. FR wheel took the whole hit.
    Besides that, runs just like it did before - GREAT
    :)
  • Options
    amitsuowner: I scrolled back to #91 just to see what you are talking about. How you can deduce that I'm a Mitsu employee is beyond me. My reference to "techs" may have confused you. NOT automotive techs but computer service techs that use our Galant fleet as their service vehicles and personal cars. Please read before you go off the deep end. Any one that's been on here for any length of time knows that i have NO connecton with Mitsu. If you are shopping for a Chevy I guess you are out of the "loop" (and your mind anyway LOL) No disrespect intended.

Floridian
  • Options
    steve109steve109 Member Posts: 13
    Have you seen the latest Galant TV ad?? It's a hoot! Couple comes out of building, woman looks at her reflection in a window of a parked Galant, then waits for her date to open the door of the Galant. The boyfriend, however, is , uh, motioning her back to the cleverly lit Ford parked behind the Galant. You have to see it to appreciate it.
  • Options
    jackie73jackie73 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,there. I have a 97 Galant ES which has 40000 mileage on it. I'll say it has always been a great car in driving except recently something weird happed. First thing happened almost two months ago , when I came to a sudden stop just in front of a stop sign, the" check engine" light appeared; the second thing is everytime I push the brake pedal, there will be some noise like"click-click-click"; the third one, which is the most serious one, happens when the road is wet and I want to make a left turn,when I push the gas pedal and turn the steer wheel, the car will shake and give some lound noise, and it just won't move,after I leave up the pedal and push it again, everything is ok. This problem is really driving me crazy, so if you guys have some advices,please let me know, I will appreciate it a lot. Thank you all.
  • Options
    bventbvent Member Posts: 5
    I agree, the Mitsi ad is quite hillarious. It makes you feel for the poor guy...
  • Options
    ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    Yeah , thats a funny commercial .... The Galant one I mean .... oh well, that ad goes towards male buyers .... Also another good one is the one for the 2k eclipse, when a girl sees an old friend standing next to an eclipse and tells him "nice car" .. then suddenly the real owner comes and drives it away ...
    Also, My Cd player doesn't read CDR's or CDRWs .... hmm weird .. (I have 2k ES I4)
  • Options
    mpevznermpevzner Member Posts: 41
    Well I am working on selling the [expresiions skipped here] Mitsubishi Galant, but unfortunately nobody wants to buy it. The dealer offerd me $13K (1 year 20K ES v6) $7K a year worth of depreciation - not bad, huh?
    Her is the story:
    Last friday I had to work late (actually till 2:45am Satirday) and when I finally left the office and got to the car it didn't start. So here I am standing in the middle of the company parking lot at 3 o'clock in the morning, trying hard to make the Mitsubishi product move without of the help of a tow truck. Finally I called motsubishi roadside assistance and they told me that the tow truck will arrive in 90 minutes. [Very emotional phrase skipped here] is what I told them. It's in the middle of San Jose, not in the middle of nowhere, so don't tell me that the nearest tow truck is 90 minutes away... Finally the tow truck arrived and the Galant was put on the bed of the tow truck, where it belongs. I got home at 7am and finally got to bed. Next time I called the dealer - guess what? They couldn't find the car. I thought that the God finally responded to my prays and I am getting a little bit of luck: I hoped some idiot has finally stolen this piece of junk. Nope, Nice try - not this time! It's the mitsubsihi dealers that are unable to keep their paperwork in order and don't know which cars they are currently repairing. Probably they are very busy repairing them due to "high quality" and "extreme reliability" of these vehicles. I got the car on Monday - the battery was replaced under warranty. Where does Mitsubsishi buy such lousy batteries that fail after 1 year/$20K ? There is probaly a junk yard somewhere in Japan that's their supplier.

If you own a Mitsubishi product - it's anever ending frustration, due to poor quality of both Mitsubishi products and services
  • Options
    boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    hey, I have a 2000 galant and I love my car. Now, has 9000 miles and some parking scartches and you know what the car is a blast to drive for a sedan. The 4 cyl is great and the transmission performance is so smooth I enjoy my short commute to work every day. Too bad, what happenend to you but the Galant is a great car.
  • Options
    mluzzimluzzi Member Posts: 1
    I have been having a problem with my 1991 Galant. The car has only 50K miles on it and I have been having problems with the check engine light coming on and causing the car to stall and not start again until I wait about 10 - 15 minutes. I would have this problem and then wouldn't have it again for 4 - 5 weeks. Now the check engine ight comes on every few minutes. I brought it to 2 mechanics, 1 was a Mitsubishi Service. Neither mechanic has any idea of what the problem is. They put the car up to their computers and everything is reading fine.

Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the remedy?
  • Options
    Since mpevzer mentioned it .. I never figured where to get that phone # to call in case I need it someday .... Is it in the manual?
  • Options
    mpevznermpevzner Member Posts: 41
    the phone number of the subj. is buried deep inside your owner's manual.
    I wish you to never have to use it :)
  • Options
    dianne331dianne331 Member Posts: 16
    Ok, I've had my 00 Galant ES for almost two months now. I can almost back the thing in straight - yeah for me! But three days ago I got really nervous because when I started me car in the morning and went to put my foot on the gas the car felt like it was going to stall. I remember reading a post about a similar (if not the exact same) situation. I am to take it to the dealer on Monday. Of course I have to leave it overnight so they can look at it on Tuesday and of course they will find nothing wrong.

And yes, my dealer is in Timbuckto also.
  • Options
    maryjeanmaryjean Member Posts: 3
    I'm a new owner (2 weeks) of a 2000 ES-VS Galant (Dover White Pearl). I absoloutely love everything about this car except what I'm seeing in gas mileage. Although I don't have an exact number of miles per gallon that I'm getting, I can tell you that I'm constantly checking under the car for a gas leak!!! I am going to check this weekend when I fill up (again!) on the exact number. Is any one else having this problem? I've heard it may be common in the first 5000 miles. My car now has 1500miles. Oh, by the way, I'm getting that same film on my windshield, no matter what I do.

MJ
  • Options
    maryjean: Most new cars do this to some degree. It is the plastisizers weeping out of the various vinyl plastics used in todays cars ( that "new car smell" if you will) It will continue to fog the windows 'till most of it boils off. You'll just have to put up with it until it gradually fades away. very comforting to know that you are breathing a suspected carcinogen every time you fire up the 'ole Galant eh !!

Floridian
  • Options
    cbnearlacbnearla Member Posts: 28
    I've had my ES-V6 for a couple months - about 2500 miles. I'm also disappointed with the gas mileage I've been getting - about 20 mpg in a mix of city/highway.
  • Options
    I constantly get 26+ mi/gal mixed driving and 30+ straight h-way. I fill up with mid grade.
  • Options
    cbnearlacbnearla Member Posts: 28
    Do you have the 4 cyl or V6?
  • Options
    I have been keeping track of my mileage since I bought my car two months ago and so far the best I've gotten was with Exxon (87 octane). That gave me 23 mpg. And the only kind of driving I do is city.

It is really easy to figure out the mpg. I don't mean to insult you, but I just learned this so allow me to "share my knowledge." When you fill up, set the trip odometer (in my car I use the B setting) to zero. Then drive away from the pump and continue to live your life.

Next time you go to the pump, FILL UP. Record the gallons pumped into the car (it will be on the receipt if you pay with plastic), record the number of miles showing on your odometer and drive away (you don't want to hold up the lines at the pump).

When you get home divide the number of miles by the number of gallons.

This will only work when you FILL UP the tank. I was told that the mpg may be off until the car gets used to my driving. Now that may be just for used cars.
  • Options
    cgacga Member Posts: 23
    I'm driving the same car as you (2000 Galant ES 4-cyl)-- six months and 6,000 miles. 23 mpg in city driving is quite good. My driving is almost exclusively suburban -- no city, but also no real highway driving -- and I average between 28-29 mpg in the warm weather, but I don't think I could achieve your 23 mpg in strictly city driving. The mpg should improve as the car breaks in and one other somewhat interesting fact I've discovered over the years is that a properly broken in car will (all other things being equal) get noticeably better mileage throughout its life than a car that has not been "properly" broken in.
  • Options
    To be technical, mine is suburban driving also, but I didn't think that was a choice and the way the traffic lights are around here it should be considered the city. I am just outside of the Philadelphia limits.

I couldn't believe the 23 mpg myself. I will get Exxon gas again on my next fill-up and see if I get the same results. Do you think the brand of gas affects the mpg?

What have you used to clean the leather-wrapped steering wheel?
  • Options
    Hi, me too have I4 2k ES galant, but i have never bothered to keep track of my gas performance ....
    Oe thing i kinda notice is when i fill up with Shell , its has smoother acceleration, and when I fill up with 76 ... it's just normal driving... Never tried Exxon on my car yet .. but I do hear Arco gas is not as good... since they usually like 10 cts cheaper than anyone else.

-For those who don't know check the Galant Center at yahoo's clubs .. people there are usually for technical...
  • Options
    cgacga Member Posts: 23
    >>>Do you think the brand of gas affects the mpg?

Except for ten gallons or so, the only gas I've ever put in the Galant (6,000 miles) is Mobil 87. As a matter of fact, that's the only gas I've used for the past ten years or so. I don't think WNY has any Exxon stations left. Yes, in my experience the brand of gas definitely affects mileage, though I guess I'm not the best person to ask because as I said, I've been using only Mobil 87.

>>>What have you used to clean the leather-wrapped steering wheel?

As soon as I got the car I put terry cloth type seat covers on and covered the steering wheel, which I admit is kind of silly because it is leather, after all, but I never liked the feel of leather.

It's a good car. You'll like it. My only real gripes are the position of the emergency brake lever, rear visibility, and a persistent low speed hesitation the dealer refuses to address, and no light in the glove box (which is huge).

Apparently, and unfortunately, over the years Mits. service has earned a poor reputation, and the fact that there is only one dealer within an hour's drive has made me decide to do my own oil changes, etc. (I keep receipts).
  • Options
    blf2blf2 Member Posts: 38
    We have a little over 5000 miles on our 2K GTZ, we just got back from a 3 state trip covering 2500 miles and on open hwy driving got right at 30 mpg, which I consider excellent since the motor is still breaking in, and the performance I get from the V-6! During our city driving we get between 23 & 26mpg, not bad at all. BTW, our hwy driving was usually at 70-75mph, I bet it would get 32mpg at 60mph. I use 88 octane from Texaco, Shamrock, Chevron & Conoco, depending on which station we come across during our travels, haven't noticed any difference in performance between brands. Also keep the Goodyear LS's at 40psi, I always like to keep the tires close to the max pressure, they seem to last longer and get better mileage, rides a little firmer however!
    As far as the guy complaining about Batteries, I've had a Honda, 3 Dodges and 1 Mitsu(mini-truck), and only our latest Dodge had a battery that lasted longer than 2 years, I think ALL factory Batteries are BARELY adequate and most aftermarket batteries aren't much better unless you pay around $100 bucks for one! On a final note, ALL car manufacturers make problematic cars, but you hear so much more from the bad luck folks, than the majority of people with trouble-free cars. So far so good w/ the GTZ, we love the styling, performance, uniqueness, and value. We had a slight paint defect(bubbling) on the hood, but it was re-sprayed with excellent results, and handled by Mitsu! Good luck to all-hopefully you won't need it!
  • Options
    boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    I have a 2000 ES that has around 9200 miles and I have noticed that for every 100 miles of hwy and city driving costs me about $9.50. Thats about 18 mpg! I now drive my old 82 Corolla that noticeablely gets better gas mileage. Just cant drive it much in summer ( no ac ). I love the peformance of the 4 cyl. I think its one heck of an engine. But next time I think I will get a Civic or Corolla cause the gas bills are killer.
  • Options
    I have to agree with you on the mpg. I am still trying to get used to not having my Mazda Protege that I had for nine years. I keep telling myself that in a number of years I will go back to a compact car but I am beginning to doubt it. I can see myself getting real used to the room in the Galant. But who knows what America will be driving in five years. Maybe we will be flying around instead of driving.

I had to re-read CGA's post because I thought I was reading something wrong. I am glad you said that was silly. Because to each his own, but I can't imagine anybody covering a leather steering wheel.
  • Options
    >>Do you have the 4 cyl or V6?
    4cyl

ultratech >> fill up with 76 ...
    76?! i hope you've made a typo :)

also, i just got my recall notice in the mail. the steering wheel problem.
  • Options
    chaucerchaucer Member Posts: 6
    I have a 95 Galant LS with a moonroof (sunroof? I don't know the difference. This one is electrically operated and can either pop up at the back end or slide under the roof of the car.) It has a small leak which is not noticeable except in a heavy rain. I believe it is because one corner of the moonroof lies about 1/8" below the roof of the car (and can collect water) whereas the other corners lie slightly ABOVE the roof of the car. Is there an adjustment bolt or something similar that would enable me to try to fix this problem on my own? Does anyone know a source I could reference to try to find out?

Thanks.
  • Options
    solid101solid101 Member Posts: 12
    I know the recommand break in period for the new
    Galant is 400mi., however, my MPG reach "normal" at around 12,000 MI., and so is the engine response, when the car was new, it "delays" a little every time I push the gas pedal hard,(does
    not response as soon as I expect), after around 12,000 MI, everything is going normal, including the gas consumption and engine,(feel stronger
    than before), I check couple of testing reports, one of them actually says"this engine grows stronger with age", so I guess it's normal, manufacture loves to give their consumers the
    "hi-tech" and convience feeling, therefore recent
    cars post less and less recommand"break in" time,
    however, please note, this car has an iron block
    with alum. cylinders, I think owners should give
    it a little longer break in time and be patience.
    The other example is Subaru's 2.5 H-4 engine,
    which is consider tough and dourable, but most
    owners experience normal MPG after about 18,000 MI., while manufacture recommand break in period are way lesser than it, but it's all right, since
    the other manufacture who favors boxer engine
    recommand 20,000 mi. break in time, guess who?
    By the way, I always use 87 fuel, change oil every
    3,000 mi., it runs fine. also, if you own the car more than one year, you might want to breed the brake fluid and put in new ones, they doesn't
    hold on too well.(And Subaru's longer break in time has something to do with AWD)
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for all your input on gas mileage. I'm confused though. I have an ES-V6, 3 weeks old. My manual says to use betweel 91-95 octane. Only use 87 if nothing else is available. I thought the higher octane the better performance = better gas mileage, but I haven't seen a difference no matter what I fill it up with. I only used 87 once in an emergency but I've been using Shell 94 Ultra. I'll keep a close watch to see if anything changes as it becomes more broken in.
    Also, I just noticed yesterday that the cover on my Airbag on the steering wheel is lifted up on the bottom on both sides. Has anyone had this problem?
  • Options
    Yes, i also got the recall letter the other day .... I really don't notice anything wrong with it, but I'll take it to check anyways...
    About the gas type, her in Southern California we have 92,89, and 87 gas grades .... I use 89..

Marcin:
    When I said 76 , it's a gas brand, like mobil, exxon, etc ...
    Gas here is $1.80 gallon for 89 ... with priceline I'm getting it at $1.60 ..
  • Options
    gt2kgt2k Member Posts: 4
    Hello all, I have a 2001 Galant GTZ, just picked it up about 3 weeks ago and yesterday the horn stopped working. Also I can only get 17 - 18 miles/gallon. I love the ride of the car and the styling and I looked forward to getting the car, but I have been reading these posts, and the horn problem is strike 1, 3 strikes and I am trading it in. I am not sitting on a piece of junk for 7 - 8 years. I only have 820 miles on my car, service said they would gladly take care of the problem, but sounds like an electrical problem, and those can be costly and time consuming in the end. If anybody else is having a problem with their horns, please email me ASAP, I am still within 30 days of the cars purchase, and I may be able to return it, even though I do love it dearly.

Thanks,
    Tony
  • Options
    gt2kgt2k Member Posts: 4
    Hello all, I have a 2001 Galant GTZ, just picked it up about 3 weeks ago and yesterday the horn stopped working. Also I can only get 17 - 18 miles/gallon. I love the ride of the car and the styling and I looked forward to getting the car, but I have been reading these posts, and the horn problem is strike 1, 3 strikes and I am trading it in. I am not sitting on a piece of junk for 7 - 8 years. I only have 820 miles on my car, service said they would gladly take care of the problem, but sounds like an electrical problem, and those can be costly and time consuming in the end. If anybody else is having a problem with their horns, please email me ASAP, I am still within 30 days of the cars purchase, and I may be able to return it, even though I do love it dearly.

Thanks,
    Tony
  • Options
    blf2blf2 Member Posts: 38
    Are you sure you're calculating the mpg properly?
    17-18mpg is unacceptable, unless you spend all your time in traffic gridlock! I'd double check your figures, you should get at least 22 city, 28 hwy! No prob w/ my horn, although it's got an extremely whimpy sound LOL! Good luck w/ your GTZ, if that mileage is correct, something is wrong, IMO!
  • Options
    agreenbagreenb Member Posts: 1
    I have my '99 ES-V6 for over a year (8,000 miles). The MPG for city driving has been in the consistant 18-19 range. The highway MPG is around 23-24. It appears that fuel efficiency is not Mitsu's strong suit. So far no problems with the horn. Just some steering wheel vibration at high speeds 65mph +. Will take it to the dealer on Monday for check of the steering gear assembly as part of the recent Mitsu recall.
  • Options
    -I don't even think that's possible .. No dealer in their right mind will take back a car that was sold new and give u full refund ...
    -Think of it this way ... you paid like $2000 or more in tax an license ... I don't think the dealer will reimburse you for that ..
    -Now back to the cost of the car itself plus that 30 day depreciation ...

In case you do return it, and they give u full refund ... try reading post about your future car too ... Then you'll figure that there will always be some unlucky person with a bad lemon on every single forum.
  • Options
    koolguy123koolguy123 Member Posts: 37
    I was wondering, does the Galant HAVE to have premium fuel, or could you just run it on midgrade? Thanks
  • Options
    I guess my horn works. I KNOW my brakes work.
  • Options
    Well the best mileage I got so far was 23 and that was way out off base with the others. I've been averaging 19. I got 23 mpg with Exxon gas so today I filled up with Exxon again. It was the cheapest ($1.52) and I want to see if it's the gas or just me and my 4 cyl 2000 Galant. I am really impressed with the other poster's mpg. You guys must not drive in areas like the congested screwed up areas I do. The traffic lights and back ups are horrible. (Just rationalizing why I am getting stinky gas mileage.)
  • Options
    I just use midgrade 89 .. people say the V6 needs premium, but lots of people also say they all use 87 with no big deal..
    Midgrade 89 just hit $1.81 here ... priceline about $1.64 ...
  • Options
    Last weekend I drove 285.5 miles on 10 gallons of 89 octane. Pretty good, huh? :)
  • Options
    4u24u2 Member Posts: 17
    I am enjoying my Galant. I haven't encountered any problems with my '01 ES V6. Currently, it has about 1600 miles. I think it's a great car.
    The Galant is sportier, more stylish, and has more personality than the other cars in its class. Without hesitation, I would recommend the Galant ES V6 over the Accord V6/4, Camry V6/4, and Altima to any new car buyers.

Regarding gas mileage, remember, new cars require a break-in period until they reach their pique in gas mileage.

I am soo glad that I didn't buy the Volvo S40.

Happy Driving!
  • Options
    I've written before about my horrible gas mileage (between 20-24 mpg - highway)on my 2k Galant (2000 mi.)- I called the dealer and they will check it out this Friday. They seem to think that the bad gas mileage coupled with a sporadic rotten egg smell that sometimes comes out of the exhaust may be linked to a problem with the cayalytic converter or the oxygen sensor. What do the two have to do with each other and does this sound right to anyone?
    I'm using between 91 and 95 octane (usually 93)as the manual indicates. Help!

Also, I took it in already for the steering recall. It took about a 1/2 hour and it checked out just fine.

MJ
  • Options
    solid101solid101 Member Posts: 12
    Is typical when there are something wrong with
    the converter, so lighter up, my V6 still sticks
    with 87, this mainly because today's on board
    computer in cars are so smart, they caculates
    the proper ingination timing and therefore the result, consumer report also did a report on this subject and recommands regular for most newer cars
    , higher octane contributes the most on helping
    the converter to unload exhaust air easier and
    quicker, by using lower octane is beleive to lose
    about 5 Hp, which is fine by me, using more expensive gas with higher octane than the OEM
    recommands will not help your car run faster than it already does, and it will not help it to live
    longer, one draw back on using lower octane fuel
    is the slightly decrease on horse power and
    longer engine response time, so if yours a 4 cylinder with AC on during summer, better put in
    the recommand fuel, since the decrease of power
    might changing your driving habit and therefore
    burn more fuel than you should, also, check tire
    pressure regularly, once my tire pressure are 7psi
    under, and a full tank runs only 250mi +-, please
    note the inflation rate for radial tires, when
    you drive more than 3 miles(hot tire), and it reads 32Psi, it means you probably only have 28 Psi or less, a difference between warm and cold
    of 4~6 Psi on these radial tires are normal.
  • Options
    99galant99galant Member Posts: 2
    I drive a 99 ES 4-cyl. Gas mileage has been great!! 25-27 city and 32 highway... All with using low-grade gas (87). It doesn't pay to use higher priced fuel, It's all a big oil brain-washing marketing gimmick!! For those of you experiencing only 20 mpg, there is definitely something wrong!! Get it checked out.