Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    vivian3vivian3 Member Posts: 8
    Well, I guess this means that Toyota dealers don't give special-order customers a specific production # and guarantee that the customer will get that particular car once they've made their deposit. I appreciate your offer to help, but I guess I should just call back the salesman I've been working with here. If I don't get a good price from him, I will go with Carsdirect.com. Thanks again.
  • Options
    wheels4mewheels4me Member Posts: 36
    just wondering: since resale on bmw, lexus and
    mercedes are so high, could the cost per yr of
    owning one actually be less than owning a
    midpriced toyota. Assuming of course that you
    would be talking about a low end lexus ect.
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    the dealer emails the distributor to buy a vehicle with the exact equipment and color you wish to have on your Camry. The factory gets the order and will build the vehicle as soon as possible(could be within 30 days or up to 75 days depending on several factors). The vehicle is then sold to the distributor and it is allocated to the dealer that ordered the vehicle. Allocations occur twice a month and if the dealer turns down the car by mistake it is redistributed to another dealer. A dealer that is not paying attention to the allocation may turn down the car because it is not the way most people would want the vehicle. When you special order the car you are guaranteed the exact car with the exact equipment but the car has not been built yet and no one knows what the VIN is yet. Time is another question, sometimes if the cycle is right we can change factory equipment on one scheduled to be built and you can have your car within 30 days but no one can guarantee you that time frame that is why I use 60-75 days domestic built and 90-120 days overseas built.
  • Options
    iontrapiontrap Member Posts: 139
    What is the widest wheel that will fit into my wheel well? I have a 2000 LE with the 15x6 wheels. From what I can tell, it looks like a 7" wide wheel would fit, but it woild be a tight fit.
  • Options
    edwardh5edwardh5 Member Posts: 130
    buy one off the lot.
    dealers frequently sell "your" car to someone else for any amount more than you are paying.
  • Options
    vivian3vivian3 Member Posts: 8
    Well, I found a dealer who is about an hour's drive away from me who is going to get the car I'm looking for by the end of the month, and he's not demanding a deposit. He also gave me a VERY good price! So, I'm taking a chance that it will get sold off the lot when it gets there, but this dealer was honest with me, and a pleasure to deal with. I can't wait to get my car!! I'll let you know what happens.
  • Options
    jeffyjcjeffyjc Member Posts: 14
    Love my 2002 camry le I4 with power seat, keyless entry, and abs, out the door for just under 21,000
    great looking car, rides very quiet and lots of pep for a 4 banger...only one problem..there is a random rattle every now and then that seems to be coming from the center of the dash board...anyone esle have this problem?
    Thanks
  • Options
    iontrapiontrap Member Posts: 139
    I can't believe how much more comfortable the 2002 seats are compared to my 2000. I remember reading not to long ago about people adding additional padding to their seats. Is there a site that explains how this is done?
  • Options
    bjckbjck Member Posts: 3
    just purchased a new 2001 EL 4 excellent price, mostly 2002 on lot, had general tires, which had flat spot, and vibration at 65 plus, told the dealer off or no deal, replaced with dunlop sp 400, rides fine, traded in 98 accord with 65k and michlen original equip, and were just about needing replacement. love the Toyota, should I purchase the extended warranty?
  • Options
    tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    is it going to be possible to get a SE V6 without the really expensive leather packages??? carsdirect.com has the option to get it without the packages, but it's not always 100% accurate. So far, all the dealers are only stocking SE V6's running 28k +! without the package, it's much more affordable.
    don't get me wrong, the leather is very nice...but i'd rather have cloth, save the $, and not have to spend all that time caring for the leather.
    don't make me go to nissan for the v6 altima! (that interior is a shame...the rest of it is nice)
  • Options
    sedancarsedancar Member Posts: 3
    I agree with you har1bush. I came to a Toyota dealer to look for a SE 2002 last week but They did not have one. Instead they had LE and XLE. The front looks funny, the rear looks little weird though looks better than 2000/2001's. I think the front of 2000/2001 looks better than 2002's.
  • Options
    captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    Does anyone else besides me think that the 2000-2001 Camry's have the "jidders"? It rides real harsh and makes me nervous. So, FYI, no big surprise here, the 1998 coil springs fit the later Camry's, up to 2001, and I'd bet the 2002's too but I didn't verify that yet. It rides significantly better with the 1998 coil springs and has eliminated the "jidders". I also know how to move the Camry front seat(s) back for more front legroom if anyone wants to know. Happy motoring!
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    30% of the V6 SE Camry in the southeast do not have the $3000 (GKAT)package that has the leather ,6 disc in dash changer, keyless entry, power driver seat,cargo net, moonroof and sunshade.
  • Options
    clhawkins01clhawkins01 Member Posts: 25
    Hey captainj ... how are you extending the front seats? I'll assume you're speaking of non-power seats, can this be done for power seats as well I'm 6'4" and looking to buy an SE with power seats ... I can always use the leg room.
  • Options
    pduboispdubois Member Posts: 73
    I cannot see the NAV system as an option on the Canadian Toyota site. I only see it on the US site. Is this option not available in Canada?

Thanks
    Pat.
  • Options
    ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    I'm ready to purchase a 2002 SE Camry with Package #2 for 4.5% over invoice. Is that percentage to be expected for a new model? I had a quote of 3% over invoice on the 2001 Highlander. Also, how tempting are Camry's to car thieves? Is a $395 car alarm really necessary if I park in the garage and within a safe place at work?
  • Options
    camryv6camryv6 Member Posts: 42
    I CANT WAIT TILL THE RENTEL CAR COMPANIES BRING IN THE 2002 CAMRY. I WOULD PROBALY RENT ONE FOR I WEEK BEFORE BUYING.
  • Options
    jl8w3jl8w3 Member Posts: 7
    For some reason I would never buy an alarm from the dealer as an option or accessory down the road. As far as an accessory down the road - some dealers go to local car stereo/security shops and get alarms installed then jack up the price to make a profit. I can say this because I used to work at such a shop.

Also $395 sounds quite high! What is included in the protection package? Many stores sell alarms capable of protecting a car for $199-$249 installed such as Sidewinder, Viper, Hornet, Blackwidow all (I believe) made by DEI (Directed Electronics). This price range includes: lights flash, siren, warn-away/shock sensor (say if car is bumped by soccer ball - alarm will not go off completely, just a few small chirps letting people know it is protected), door locks (if you have automatic locks, manual is more $), etc.

Another bonus with these alarms is the features you can add (of course more $$$). I have a back-up battery in case the main battery is disconnected, 2 pain generators inside (2 very high piercing sirens under dash that kill your ears), and a few nice convenient features - able to open/close all windows and sunroof from transmitter and start the vehicle. You can even add car-com by DEI a feature that once hooked up to your alarm allows you to operate all features of the alarm by phone! If you lock your key in the car, just make a phone call, enter your code and the option to unlock the doors and your in! Also you can start your car from a longer distance than the transmitter will allow. Very nice, but I find I don't need it since I always lock my doors with the transmitter.

Hope any of this helps. Again, $395 sounds a little high, but it depends what it includes!

Ted.
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    The dealers and economy are in terrible condition, IMHO you are being patriotic (to a Japanese company) to pay over invoice, another week and the dealers will be offering rebates on the 2002s. Hold off until they offer as a minimum invoice!
  • Options
    avusblueavusblue Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I am considering a 93 LE V6 Camry. It has 82,000 miles, one owner car in good condition. The timing belt has been changed. The owner seems trustworthy. kbb.com says this car should be worth $6,350 as a "private party" transaction and edmunds says $6,419. My question is, how accurate do people think these pricing tools are as a guide? The seller wants $7,000 for the car. I'd be willing to pay $6,250 to $6,500.

Thanks for your advice!

Dave
  • Options
    jl8-The salesperson said that the car alarm was a genuine Toyota part and that they'd always have parts in case it ever needed to be serviced. With other aftermarket alarms, he said they may go out of business, discontinue its alarm and parts, etc. Your thoughts?

Thanks arrr-I think I will wait a little longer to see what prices will do. But do you think in just a week, we can expect to see prices fall that much?
  • Options
    lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    what about all the people that work at the dealers? salespeople have families too...despite how i feel about most of them. do you want to see them laid off too like the airline employees?

i think the most patriotic thing to do is go on as business as usual and let the economy work.

i'm sure the prices will decrease as demand decreases...but i don't think we should form a coalition against buying cars.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I am an American. I have never left the country. Every dollar I make is spent in America. Every dollar I make is derived from the sales of Toyota Automobiles.

Price could come down in the future. Business may slow to the extent we are told it already is. The thing that gets me is that our business hasn't slowed at all. Last year, between September 11 and September 17, we sold 38 new Toyotas. Know how many we sold this year? 37. Things may yet slow down, but they haven't yet. Don't believe everything you hear on TV.
  • Options
    ravvie4meravvie4me Member Posts: 110
    is NOT worth 7,000 dollars. Consider the fact that it's almost 9 years old. That's my advice. You could probably get a '95 for that much, but with which engine/trans/trim level I don't know.

Keep shopping.

-RAVvie4me
  • Options
    ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    To: Cliffy:
    Do you know which dealer has the Camry SE V4 automatic? I was looking at the V6 but they are close to 29G In NYC.I do not want to spend that Kind of money at this time. I saw a SE v4 manual but my daughter don't want to mess with that.
  • Options
    Here in the Central Atlantic Region, we are getting a few SE 4 cylinders (although not V4s, such an engine does not exist in any currently built car). You may need to look South to find what you want.
  • Options
    mdiver65mdiver65 Member Posts: 31
    I am looking at a 2002 SE. Is this stereo worth the extra cost?

Thank you!
  • Options
    tomsoltistomsoltis Member Posts: 22
    I'll keep you posted in regard to how we end up w/the sputtering problem.
  • Options
    c0kec0ke Member Posts: 44
    is right about letting the ecconomy take it's course. Surely no one wants to see these large segments of industry suffer in the current ecconomic disturbance.

So lets see how it might play out in the ecconomy ... supply and demand. Toyota dumps the current supply as best they can and lays off big time at TMMK. Not planned but a necessity for survival. Dealships begin to notice the dwindling supply of the product and start loading up their stock with all the accessory packages they can to help make up for the reduced sales.

There is still a demand for the product but now you're looking at MSRP sales only. In the fine print at the bottom of the window sticker you notice that an additional "availabity charge" has been tacked on for vehicles in high demand. (We got it and you want it) You may not pay it but there are people who will because they "want it". They'll even take the undercoat packages.

Can't happen? It did in the mid 80's when the Camry's were all shipped in from Japan. I had to go out of town to find a dealer who would secure the Camry I wanted. A local salesman told me, "We aren't in the habit of selling 'stripped down' cars". I just didn't want mag wheels or a moon roof.

Yesterday my salesperson told me the car I wanted was scheduled to be be made in October, an LE V6, and he's got it coming in vehicles with and w/o the moonroof. Will have to take the KZ option though.

Buy when you find what you want at a price you are willing to pay. These prices may go down and then again maybe the car you really want won't be readily available.
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Toyota refuses to lay off any workers. They will just let go of their temps and reduce work force through those retiring. So far, the Camry plant in Georgetown, KY has been short handed on enough labor for the Camry...so this downturn right now won't have as an impact as it would on other companies perhaps. And...Toyota has announced that they expect to pull out of this slump by early 2002. There's always that light at the end of the tunnel!
  • Options
    truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    Hi were looking for a Toyota for our son, either a Corolla or Camry , but we only want to spend approximantely 5 thousand dollars what type of Camry LE could we get for his or CE? what year with an automatic, would i still be reliable for another 4 years if we don't put high miles on it. IS a camry with over 100,000 miles on the 4 cylinder ok still if we buy a 93-96? please help and should we buy a car with that many miles with the original transmission how long would it last please help out and tell us about your camry experience and what your car mileage is thanks !
    Truck Dude 1-
  • Options
    minsterminster Member Posts: 5
    have 237000 miles on 94 dx 5 speed. got 178000 out of orig clutch. car is 4 cylinder. good for another 2 yrs 25k per yr.
  • Options
    The Camry is a very reliable car. You can't go wrong with one. Buying one with over 100k miles, you can expect to get well over 200k miles on one (I have a 1988 Camry with over 203k, it has the 4-cylinder [original engine], which is the same basic engine design for 92-96, as well as 97-01) without troubles. I have had mine for 5 years, and it's been trouble-free, so another 4 years on a 92-96 is no problem.
    For around $5,000, you can expect to get a 92-95 LE and maybe a 96 DX.

-RAVvie4me
  • Options
    n8236n8236 Member Posts: 7
    I have to agree with many that Camrys are very reliable cars and get the job done for most. There is a lot to praise about which I won't go into great detail. Not to flame Camrys, but here it goes.

Looks: Compared to the previous generations, this new generation looks A LOT better! I give my props to the designers for making a wise choice to making it look younger to attract a wider age range. I know many cars on the road borrow a lot of resemblences to one another, but considering Camry's are America's#1 selling car, they could of made the design a bit less bland. The front completely came off of a Solora( IMO looks good because of the sharpened headlights ), body was borrowed from the Avalon, and lastly the tail lights are just extremely boring ( Looks like a Mitsubihi Mrage & Dodge Neon ). A whole new design would of been nice.
    Perhaps they didn't take that step to save them the possibility of a complete rejection from the public.

As for the buyers, good choice for choosing this car because it would be on my top 10 cars to buy myself. If you're age 21 like me, most would agree a need for thrills once a while not to say everyone needs that sometimes, knows the Camry wouldn't be a top choice for that scenario. The Camry just isn't your " fun " car to drive when you feel a need to drive along the twisty roads of the California Coastline. If Toyota wants to attract more of the younger market with the Camry, they need a lot work and borrow some ideas from Honda's Accord. If there was a reason why I wouldn't buy the Camry, it would just be that reason. Until Toyota accomplishes the " fun " of the Camry, i'll be sold!
  • Options
    is more like a mid-size "luxury-family sedan." That seems to be how it's marketed by Toyota. You have to keep that in mind.
    The Honda Accord is more marketed towards the "tuner" crowd, which is why it's sportier than Camry.
    If I wanted "fun" though, I would probably buy a VW Passat, Audi A4, or even a Jetta over the Accord, even given their poor track record for reliability.
    But I'm more of a "luxury" guy, so I would go with the Camry every time.
    And BTW, if I was driving on the California Coastline, I would probably choose a TRD Camry Solara Convertible, IMHO.
    Just my $.02.

-RAVvie4me
  • Options
    After almost a year of trying to decide between the Jetta, Lexus RX 300 and Highlander, I bought a Camry yesterday. (That's why my name is Fickle.) The Lexus, new, is out of my price range. Used, it'll only have maybe a year of warranty left. As for the Jetta, it was a fun car but I can't see myself driving it in 10 years (if it lasts that long!). So I thought it was the Highlander but it just in case, I drove the Camry (even though I DID NOT want the car that every other person in Hawaii has.) But once I drove it, that was it. I got the SE V6 in green and it's so nice. Can't even hear the engine at a stop.

My question is to Cliffy: Now that I read the owner's manual, it says that tinting will interfere with the window antenna. Do you know how much so and if it is considerable, can I put the rear windowshade found in the XLE in my SE? Also, my dealer doesn't have the cargo net or mud guards yet. Is that so with mainland dealers? What do you think about mud guards? Thanks for your opinions in the past. I'm happy I bought the car.
  • Options
    ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    I'm in NYC and I'm thinking of getting the SE V6 and here are my questions:When you go over a rough surface do you hear loud noises because of the stiff suspension?
    Do passengers in the back complain of a rough ride?
    What are your general impressions of this car as oppose to the LE?

In a couple of weeks you will be able to get those items at your dealer. More Important, Look at the back of the car magazines and you will see 800 numbers that sell those items. They tend to get first. These are not after market aceesories, these are Genuine Toyota stuff. My friend has an MDX and he was able to get those items faster and cheaper than the regular Acura Dealership and they are genuine. Also because of tighter security measures at the border crossing many car manufacturers including Toyota are not getiing their parts fast enough. I read in Autmotive News that Toyota had to send home employees early because their trucks were stuck at the Canadian border.
  • Options
    Ahossa-Thanks for the info on the parts. As for the ride, it's very comfortable. I didn't test drive an LE so I can't tell you the difference the suspension makes on the two cars. It is a "sportier" feel than the Highlander and when I went over the speed bumps in the parking lot, the Highlander seemed to sway left and right. With the Camry, I really didn't notice it. I know it's a "tighter" feel than my sister's Maxima. But beside the suspension, I really like the interior. It looks sporty, not stodgy like the LE (and I can't afford the XLE.) I feel like I'm riding high in the car too. A very comfortable car.
  • Options
    minsterminster Member Posts: 5
    I was thinking highlander too until I saw se. drove it and loved it. it is plenty of "fun" to drive in fact as good as a 94 integra i used to have. i bought a black one with leather-- toyo has a real winner here. refined and comfy...will feel bumps on ruff surface but this car is great! will the people that bought pls go to "how much did you pay" post to help out prospective buyers...i did
  • Options
    wheels4mewheels4me Member Posts: 36
    where can i find the "how much did you pay post"
  • Options
    pduboispdubois Member Posts: 73
    You can find the thread here.

Pat.
  • Options
    sosadsosad Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2001 Camry in April and have had problems starting at 100 miles. My Camry wouldn't start in the morning on the first try....Toyota informed me it was a "cold start" and on the second or third attempt to start the car it would turn over just fine. They asked me to be patient while they worked on a "Fix" for this issue. Excuse me....I didn't buy a Camry for it's looks....I bought it based on their track record for reliability. Recently they replaced the computer in my car and fuel injectors - this was sure to fix the problem. Guess what...I'm scheduled for service again Wednesday - it's not fixed. In addition, I've realized that my Automatic Camry rolls backwards down hills while in drive - I was told this was a Camry feature. When I asked what would happen when this feature got me into a car accident. My rep suggested I sue Toyota. I know I'm not the only person with these problems - I'd like to hear from others. Thanks.
  • Options
    asawasaw Member Posts: 54
    Yeah, my 2000 I4 camry had a few problems too:

1) Wheel was not balanced when I first bought it - had to bring back to dealer 3 times to fix it.
    2) Driver's side power window made crunching noise when going up or down - recently fixed.

But other then that, the car is fine. Oh, except for the fact that I find the engine to be quite unrefined. At least my 98 accord's I4 sounded better.

sosad - I believe Camry rolls backwards on hill if you do not have your foot on the brake. This happens for most automatic transmission vehicles which do not have very powerful engines.
  • Options
    asawasaw Member Posts: 54
    I went to the show room the other day to take a look at the new camry. I liked what I saw, especially the easier-to-close doors. With the 2002, you no longer have to slam the door too hard to shut it, unlike my 2000 model.

Just a couple of criticisms:
    1) The center console housing the radio/cd looks cheap
    2) The price of the fully loaded XLE models (V6 and I4) is a bit pricey, considering that the engine is pretty much the same (actually decreased by 2 hp).

I think the best price-to-value model is the LE I4. New engine, new good looks, almost same (if not cheaper) price.
  • Options
    baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    I agree with you,you should not have all those problem.But relax with the car rolling back , this is common now on almost all car equipped with automatic. You have to keep your foot on the brakes thats'it,who said that a car should not not roll backward ? No car is designed to hold on a hill just by the tranny and the engine running idle,furthermore by the time you reach the gas pedal you are not going to back up 100 feet !!!

The more and more I read about the Camry the more I realised that it is a good car but not the "miracle" car. Overrated,and overpriced ,dont flame me this is just my opinion.Few weeks ago I tought that my next car would be a Camry,but like I said above,the reputation is too expensive,and that include the financing .So I'll stick with Buick.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the purchase. Unfortunately, I don't have the information you need. Now that I am in finance as opposed to my previous sales job, I don't have day to day information on things like the mud guards and such. I doubt this will be along term problem though.

As for the window tinting, I had not heard that this interfered with the antenna. Talk to a local tint shop for their opinion. I know many people who have tinted windows on Camrys and Solaras who also have the on-glass antenna so I don't see how it could be a very big problem.
  • Options
    edwardh5edwardh5 Member Posts: 130
    Compared to my 1994 Camry:

1. the console looks really flimsy and bends in several places
    2. steering wheel won't go as far down (thats dumb - wonder who decided on that)
    3. windshield rear view mirror is glued on - does not have a metal bracket. Only car I ever owned with a glue on (VW) , it kept falling off.
    4. seat does not have two adjustment wheels like the 94
    5. engine is all aluminum - I though every time GM tried that it was a problem??
    6. Dash in middle looks like its missing something along the bottom.
  • Options
    bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    i just had the 2001 post, hehe
  • Options
    will38will38 Member Posts: 30
    I recently test drove a Camry and a Nissan Maxima. I liked both for different reasons. My main concern is reliability. Which would be better in the long run?
  • Options
    vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    Check the last seven years of the April (car) issue of Consumer Reports. Maxima is usually on top. Five of the last seven years it was ahead of Camry. Number one a few times. Camry not once.
    But let's be realistic, when the reliability rating is as high as it is on these cars you can't go wrong with either.