Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    krk3krk3 Member Posts: 3
    Once again thanks for the info. and recommendations. I am leaning towards an Accord though I will test drive the Altima. It will probably be a 5 speed, 4 door, medium or top of the line. It may not be in my best interest to have a real cool looking car since I work in a high crime rate area. I'm afraid I will come out one day and my car will not be there. I'm in and out of my car most of the day. Occasionally I forgot where I last parked my car and I panic when I don't see it where I thought last left it. Talk with you later!
  • Options
    tgo63tgo63 Member Posts: 16
    Inky:
    I changed my gearbox fluid at 37k miles. I think manual recommends to change it at 36k miles.
    I tried to find synthetic transmission fluid but none of the local stores had one that matched fluid symbols from honda manual. I ended up buying honda fluid. You will need 2 quarts, total cost about $10.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Thanks for the info. Boy HOnda fluids are not cheap! I ended up using what the HOnda dealer here in Tulsa uses 10w30 Castrol GTX. HOnda dealer said they have had no woes in 10 years, plus only $1.20 per quart.
    INKY
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Why does HOnda recommend this?
    How many of you stick with recommendation. This means Prestone regular and all others are out. The Silicate/Phosphate free stuff is the extended life 150,000 mile. Is that what should be used. Any just what is so bad about prestone and the others?
    You can bet any non Honda shop uses the regular stuff.
    INKY
  • Options
    mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    I'm sure JD Power has not "skewed" the data one way or another. They have nothing to gain whether Lexus is at the top or half way down the list. I don't think you can read too much into this survey for vehicles that scored relatively close to each other, but Lexus finishing at the top and Kia at the bottom is probably no fluke. Unfortunately for Honda, many buyers will avoid the Civic based on it's poor showing, particularly since that was its stongest selling feature. This wouldn't matter as much if the Civic offered a unique driving experience, but it doesn't.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at catheins@yahoo.com. As always, you can contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    Interestingly enough, the Toyota RAV4, another extremely reliable vehicle that was redesigned for the 2001 model year, is ranked just above the Civic at 148.
  • Options
    gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    No, the JDP survey data ITSELF is not skewed. My point is, any data can be subjective relative on how it is presented. In other words, numbers may show one thing but INTERPRETATION is another. Just look at what the parameters are in collecting the data. The quality of the survey can only be as good as how you collect the data. Now, spend $$$ to buy a car based SOLELY on that data - good luck.
  • Options
    civic2001civic2001 Member Posts: 30
    Being in the first year of production of a newly designed car, this may have something to do with the "poor" scoring. However, it would be interesting to know how is the data tabulated and summarized. For example, there appeared to be many complaints about the radio codes during the early productions, did this same problem get counted multiple number of times (I'd assume so)? Also, "types of defects" (electrical, mechanical, etc.) may be more important.
  • Options
    OK, if the results are interpreted in a certain way, at least those same interpretations are applied democratically accross all makes. If you asked certain questions of a Civic owner and then asked different questions of a Lexus owner the survey would be pointless. So what, if the radio "code" problem is counted a lot because every radio was affected. If the radio in a Lexus was defective in this manner, the same rules of data collection would apply. If you start making exceptions for the Civic because you think it is unfair, then you have to make exceptions for all the others too. If the Civic scored in the top ten, nobody would be complaining about the accuracy of the survey, instead, we would be celebrating it because it would confirm what we have always known to be true.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    First, regarding methodology, in the JDP Initial Quality Survey, every problem is counted and is equal to every other problem. This is often cited by critics as a weakness, but it applies across the board to every make.

Second, I have to agree with the observation that these surveys only seem to come in for heavy criticism when they fail to support our pre-conceived notions. Look, folks, I like Honda products, and am the very happy owner of an '01 Accord, and helped a friend buy a new Civic. But all you have to do is go back to the beginning of this forum to see what's going on: the new Civic had more than its fair share of problems at startup, and that is a fact. Will Honda sort it out? Sure, but that misses the point.
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Just a informal and unscientific survey. I'm a Civic owner who'd love to buy a 5 door Civic in the US. This 5 door is slightly shorter than the Civic sedan, but has leg room approaching that of a large sedan, with the convenience of a hatch. As a Civic sedan owner, would you have any interest in a 5 door?

For pictures of the 5 door Civic, see:

http://www.vtec.net/news/items/692.html

or you can also go to the Honda Japan web site.

• Options
    gasguzzgasguzz Member Posts: 214
    It is not a given that when you question a survey you are complaining, you could be merely making an observation. Personally, I don't care where the Civic stands (more so when I have a 2k). If you take a question straight across the board and weigh it equally, then you have an average. JDP then compiles a ranking based on that - an interpretation (which they themselves claim as non-scientific). That methodology is flawed when you compare a Kia to a Mercedes, as you would need to formulate and extract a mean-weighted statistic (then the question becomes equal). By example, it is not at all surprising the Honda/Clarion(?) is inferior to a Lexus/Mark-Levinson. The IQS may be significant when choosing between a Corolla/Civic, but as whole (when applied across classes and ranked "equally") it is a rough tool.
  • Options
    dilynnmdilynnm Member Posts: 4
    Just received our new EX for $298 over invoice that included all fees except tax, DMV, and $20 doc fee.

Other than test driving vehicles, did all negotiating via the internet and phone using: Stoneage.com and local dealer websites to contact dealers.

It was a most pleasurable carbuying experience as not one dealer mentioned MSRP, only how much we were willing to pay over invoice or just making their offer slightly above invoice.

Those not interested didn't bother to contact us and that was fine with us.

The "Finance Manager" even seemed a bit nervous trying to get us to buy the window etching. We also turned down the extended warranty as we drive 35K a year highway. It actually was a good deal with Honda and Chase Manhatten offering a lower APR from what we were able to find bringing the warranty total to about $500.

We still said no as we have owned Subarus, Nissans, Toyotas, and Hondas since 1982 with only normal wear and tear mechanical problems. The offer would have only raised our monthly payment by $12/mo, but we have confidence in these foreign cars. Hope we don't get burned someday.

I am a little nervous about some peoples problems and complaints. We haven't experienced any yet and gas mileage to date is 38 mpg with a 70-30 hwy/city mix.

We are really enjoying this car, sorry to hear of so many other dissatisfied consumers.
  • Options
    patricescpatricesc Member Posts: 23
    I plan to buy a 2001 EX Civic Sedan 5-spd this summer. I plan to keep it for many, many years. I'd love answers to the following questions:

1. Should I avoid buying a SILVER Civic? I've been told it fades quickly & peels. Is this true?

2. Can I actually purchase an extended warranty from a non-Honda source & the Honda dealer will honor it?

3. I have several Honda dealers where I live (Charleston, SC :) If I get a better price at Dealer A, can I actually take it to Dealer B to get problems taken care of?

4. If I buy an extended warranty from Dealer A,
    will Dealer B, C, etc. honor it?

Thank you, thank you!!
  • Options
    1. No, 2. Don't bother, 3.If you get a better price from Dealer A, get it from dealer A., 4.Don't bother again.
  • Options
    dilynnmdilynnm Member Posts: 4
    Patriesc,

Personally I agree with mdriver. Extended warranties aren't really worth it. Some people don't feel comfortable without it, if that's you then get it.

An aftermarket warranty should be honored anywhere. What if you bought a car and moved to another state. A dealer in the new location wouldn't honor your warranty? They have to.

If you have a problem with one dealer, take it to another even if it is an inconvenience. It's just like anything else. Go where you get the best service. But buy where you get the best price first.
  • Options
    I have never purchased a brand new auto before, so forgive me if the following questions seems redundant from yesterday's questions:

If I get the best deal and purchase my new EX from Dealer A, will Dealer B (who's closer to home) take care of any problems that arise with my new car even though I didn't buy it from Dealer B? (not unlike TJ Maxx or Macy's -- you can return merchandise to any of their stores)

I have asked friends this question & they tell me that I should have problems (not just maintenance stuff) taken care of by the Dealer I purchased from. This doesn't make sense to me b/c what if I bought a car from a dealership 300 miles away or move out of state - I would take it to a local dealer to handle problems,right?

When I read the posts on this forum about new owners' car problems, I get worried that I'll have to travel to the Dealer where I purchased my car b/c they are "local" (and part of me thinks that if I was Dealer B, I wouldn't want to pay my mechanics to fix a problem with a new car that the customer didn't buy at my dealership).

Ahhhh Yes. I am a woman of many words but I'm anxious to make myself clear. And I appreciate the answers to yesterday's post. (so, SILVER is really, really ok? My friends are giving me ill advice about that color, aren't they? :)
  • Options
    f6bikerf6biker Member Posts: 33
    To 1, I own silver and like it. In the 1980's the EPA mandated changes in the chemical formation of paints that had negative consequences on many colors. Your friends were right about those paints and the colors like silver without much pigment faired the worst. Those problems are long since solved. Todays Honda silver is a base coat of paint with a clear coat of plastic covering it. You should have no more problems with silver than any other color.

To 2, a non Honda warranty will be honored at the dealers descretion. Sometimes you will have to pay the bill yourself and mail in a receipt to the warranty company. These warrantys generally have worse coverage than factory warrantys. Like telling you that gaskets are not covered. Not a big worry unless it is a head gasket for $500. I bought the Honda warranty for 7 years 100,0000 miles with 0 deductable, my choice.

To 3, every dealer service department will want to make money on your misfortune.

To 4, same as 3 above. They send the bill to honda.

These things cost a lot to fix and Honda is very proud of there parts. If it breaks you will make out with the Honda warranty if it never breaks all you get is "peace of mind" (you wasted your cash). Look at how busy the service department is the next time you are in a dealership (A or B), these are good cars, but they break too.
  • Options
    The only thing to get is roadside assist. It's nice knowing you have someone to call if you end up in trouble in the middle of nowhere or somewhere unfamiliar.
  • Options
    daveyddaveyd Member Posts: 14
    I have had my 2001 Civic coupe in silver for a little over a week now. I love the car. I love the color. I have had many comments on the car. My dad talked me out of getting a black one. Black is sssoooo hard to maintain clean and looking good, and this color always looks clean. With the recent rain we had up here in Minnesota, my car looks great. The dealership I bought my car from was very courtious, and very flexible. Goto whatever dealership you feel comfortable with. And also there is only one Honda dealership up here, so to goto another one is about 150 miles. For being the only one, i got a price of 100 over invoice, with mudflaps and the rugs thrown in. Hope it goes well.
    D
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    any honda dealer will honor the warranty, even in you are driving in canada the honda dealer has to honor your warranty, but not in mexico. the warranty is void in any other country other than us and canada. i had two minor warranty claims, both fixed by two different dealers, other than i bought the car from. no questions asked. one was the center a/c vent that went loose on me and the other was caused by me (accidentally cutting airbag out and when installing alarm), but the dealer covered it as a warranty repair.
    as it was said before an extended warranty is just a piece of mind, but it is also a benefit when you are ready to sell the car (if the warranty still covers it). i looked into the third party warranties and decided to buy it directly from honda, the 7 year/100 000 mile coverage cost me $600 back in december of 1999 (i bought the car in september of 1999) you can buy extended warranty anytime within the original warranty period. honda care comes with free tow to nearest honda delarship, if it is on a day when the dealer is closed, and you are farhter than 100 miles (i think) from home it will cover your hotel stay and 3 meals in 24 hours, plus if the repair requires more than 8 hours you get a free rental. you also get free lock out service and trip routing and unlimited maps from honda. one thing honda care doesn`t cover, like most warranties out there is brakes, clutch, belts and other expandables, but it does cover the shock absorbers. it also covers your freon if honda part caused it to leak out (after the part is reaplaced of course), it covers overheating damage, provided that you can prove that you stopped immideately after the needle went into the red zone. there are many more items in the contract, i just don`t have it infront of me. my warranty came with a $50 deductable though.
    good luck
  • Options
    joshuae73joshuae73 Member Posts: 21
    The True Market Value of a 2001 civic EX manual sedan went up from $15901 to $15931! 2 months ago is was $15880 or so. Is this a car or a stock? Maybe it is a stock car... it's got V-TEC... (:
  • Options
    hondaaccessoryhondaaccessory Member Posts: 74
    "I have asked friends this question & they tell me that I should have problems (not just maintenance stuff) taken care of by the Dealer I purchased from. This doesn't make sense to me b/c what if I bought a car from a dealership 300 miles away or move out of state - I would take it to a local dealer to handle problems,right?"

The service department is pretty much seperate from the sales department and they want to make money too. They won't chase you away just because you bought the car elsewhere. How will they know that you didn't buy the car and then move into their area with it?

In a very small number of cases you might get a slight better response from the overall dealership you bought the car from if you run into a unique problem, but all in all they will likely be happy to have your business and want to keep you as a customer no matter where you bought the car.

-Trevor
  • Options
    superegosuperego Member Posts: 6
    Today I read on the Internet, that Honda is recalling more than 50,000 civic and 100,000
    accord and other models, because of the
    possible gas leak. Most of the cars were
    produced and sold in Japan, some in US and
    other countries.
    Anyone heard about that?
  • Options
    strong68strong68 Member Posts: 22
    I own a 2001 Honda Civic LX, here is the article below:

TOKYO--Honda Motor Co. is recalling 52,297 Civic compact cars, including more than 8,200 in the United States, produced last year for faulty fuel-pipe tubing.
    The Japanese carmaker said Wednesday it is also recalling at least 100,571 additional vehicles sold in Japan for a defect in wheel bolts.
    Honda said the metal bands on the Civic fuel-pipe tubes were not tight enough, possibly leading to fuel leaks. The problem was detected during assembly work, and there have been no customer complaints or accidents related to the recall.
    Affected are 24,203 Civic cars in Japan, 8,205 in the United States, 4,883 in Great Britain, 2,093 in Australia and 12,913 in other nations.
    Also recalled were 100,571 vehicles involving 19 models sold in Japan for weak bolts that were manufactured earlier this year.
    Some of the models, including the Civic and Accord compacts, were exported to the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Australia and other nations. But Honda said it has yet to determine which models and how many exported vehicles need to be recalled.
    Honda said 37 cases have been reported in Japan of the bolts that could break, possibly causing the wheel to fall off. There have been no accidents related to that recall.
  • Options
    fmuragfmurag Member Posts: 6
    I am ready to close a deal on a Honda EX Sedan with side airbags. I feel that I got a pretty good price, but I am a little concerned about the cost of some of the options. All options on a Honda are now "dealer installed" options, and thus you can't get an idea of what they should cost from any website other than Honda's. Anyway, some of the prices that I am paying for options seem close to the MSRP on Honda's website. The dealer claims "there is no more room to discount" with the deal that I got. Here's the deal:

Honda EX Sedan with side airbags: $16897
    Sec System (installed): $229
    Floormats (installed): $40
    Leather Steering Wheel Cover (installed): $103.
    Fog Lights (installed): $327
    Wood Grain Trim (installed): $137
    Wood Grain Console (installed): $115.
    Wheel Locks: n/c
    TOTAL: $17848
    MSRP TOTAL (with options/installation): $19342

It seems like an okay deal to me...but I am nervous about paying too much for the options. Anyone have any feedback??? I plan to close the deal in 24 hours. Please help!
  • Options
    civic_cx_92civic_cx_92 Member Posts: 87
    IMHO I'd try to get it for low $17,000 range as the options price sounds inflated to me.

The 2001 Honda Civic EX sedan w/side airbag 5-speed manual TMV is $16,158 including destination charge.
    Sec System (installed): $229
    Floor mats (installed): $40
    Leather Steering Wheel Cover (installed): $103.
    Fog Lights (installed): $327
    Wood Grain Trim (installed): $137
    Wood Grain Console (installed): $115.
    Wheel Locks: n/c

Revised TMV Total of $17,109 including options.
  • Options
    Oops...I neglected to mention that I am getting an automatic. So, Civic EX Sedan with side aribags/Automatic. In this case, I think $16,897 is a few dollars under the TMV. Thanks for your speedy reply, civic_cx_92.
  • Options
    civic2001civic2001 Member Posts: 30
    I just recently bought a Civic EX sedan, automatic with side airbags in Silver from a dealer in Northern California. I paid about $16500 - 16600 (just at the invoice price) including destination. Did not get any dealer-installed options.

By adding all these options, maybe you can further negotiated on the price
  • Options
    rogert3rogert3 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my wife a silver '01 Civic Ex, Auto. 4 Dr W/ side air bags for $16,900, including destination charge, floor mats, and door guards. Since I paid about $300 over invoice, I think you can negotiate for around $17,300 with all the options you mentioned. The price I paid was 7 months ago, but now it's June ... only 6 months left for the year '01!!. You should be able to get at this price.
    Good luck
  • Options
    You are an angel!! I appreciate the responses others have given me, but somehow you expressed yourself in such a way that completely satisfies my need for info about that subject!!

Thank you!
  • Options
    7500 miles came and went yesterday. I did about 325 miles of driving in one day. 40 mpg finally at a 68 & 70 mph cruise! Nothing new has gone wrong, but I was rather amused at the fact that the gas gauge went down at the same rate despite my increased mileage.
  • Options
    tlindeman1tlindeman1 Member Posts: 23
    After 1,500 miles of driving in my 2001 Civic Sedan 5 spd., I am enjoying this car very much. My last vehicle was a 1994 Mercury Villager (which I loved) so this is quite a change for me. It's also my first new car since 1983...and things have changed a lot. This car seems smooth to drive, has plenty of power and is nicely equipped for the money (paid about $15,000 "on the road" after haggling with several dealers...probably could have done better a couple of weeks later but dealer I purchased from was great...honest and helpful...no regrets). Despite the concerns regarding the JD Power ratings of this "new for 2001" model, I am confident it will perform over the long run. I did a lot of research and test drove Protege, Sentra, Focus, Corolla and Elantra before making my choice. The combination of reliability history, comfort, features for the price, resale potential and fuel economy sold me on the Civic. Believe it or not, my second choice would have been the Elantra. It was estremely comfortable, well-equipped and quiet (much more so than the Civic...not so after I sound-deaden the Civic...it'll be as quiet as a Lexus when I get done with it). My concern with the Elantra was reliability (still waiting to see), resale (improving but still not good) and fuel economy (ok but not great for this size car). All in all I'm very happy with my decision. A few problems and improvements I think Honda could consider include:1. The front seats are not very comfortable...the side bolstering is TOO aggressive and presses on the side of my back (I'm 6' and 200 lbs...not a small guy but the seats should fit me..."wide of beam" drivers will be miserable in this seat!) also, the seat seems tilted back in the shoulder are too far...there's nothing touching you from your mid-back up due to this...I'm using an after market padded seat cushion to help matters 2. Honda softened the suspension TOO much...although fine for smooth roads and freeway cruising, the suspension (especially the rear) bottoms easily...the rear suspension also bounces annoyingly on road dips...can't wait to install a firmer after-market shock to try to improve this problem 3. The Firestone FR690 tires are lousy (standard 1857014 on steel wheels)..although they may be an improvement over the FR680's used on the previous model...a drive in a recent rainstorm was very disconcerting as they hydroplaned very easily...dry handling is also mediocre...the car screams for a set of properly sized 15 in. wheels and tires (which I'll remedy when funds allow)4. Despite Honda's claims of "extensive" sound deadening in the new Civic, noise on the freeway overpowers the stereo...especially road noise...several of it's competitors are notably quieter...especially the Elantra and Corolla...this condition is easily improved, however for minimum expense...also, the tires may be contributing to some of the ruckus 5. The AC in my car seems very weak. We have had a particularly cool summer so far but 2 days of full sunshine and only 80 degree temps. seemed to be almost more than the AC could handle...air from the vents is not very cold...I'm concerned enough to take it back to the dealer next week to have it checked out. These complaints are mostly my niggling observations and overall I love this car. I'm also enjoying the amazing fuel economy...close to 40 in mixed driving on the first 3 tanks...about double what the Villager averaged. I'd recommend the vehicle to others. Happy driving, all...
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you who helped me make a decision to buy a Civic, and then for helping me with the actual purchase. I am wondering, TLindeman1, what is your remedy for the road noise problem? I spoke to the dealer about getting them to install that insulation under the hood (the stuff they use on Accords, etc), but he didn't seem to want to bother. I thought that may have helped.
  • Options
    Sounds like you hate your Civic considering all of the mods you are contemplating, sound proofing, rear shock replacement, 15" alternate tires,etc.. It seems that when you finish with these mods, you will end up with a car similar to a Sentra SE or Protege ES. Both of these cars are quieter, have superior handling, at least as good reliability, better warranties and are a much better value than the Civic. As far as I can tell, the Civic has only two advantages, resale (offset by no rebate) and fuel economy (offset by slightly lower powered engines).

Although I like the 01 Civic in many ways, after a couple of drives, I removed the Civic from my list. The rear suspension is shockingly bad and the engines seem less responsive and less smooth than they used to be.
  • Options
    marcus31marcus31 Member Posts: 2
    Post 743 touched on an issue that concerned my wife and I yesterday--we test drove 3 Honda Civic EX's (2 from 1 dealer, and 1 from another).

Note: we live in Justin, TX, and although its warm now, it will soon be blistering hot.

We found that we liked the handling (in this price range, mind you), thought the seats sat "high" and then there was the A/C.

The first one, we sweated the entire time. I finally got it on the highway so I could see if getting up to speed was good. I noticed an immediate pick-up in the "blowing" that also immediately subsided when I got off the highway. Back to sweating.

The second one was "a bit better" and the third one was much better, but it was late in the evening and not the middle of the day by then.

Any 2001 Civic owners in hot climates have opinions? Wife loves the blue model, and we like the look of it over the Corrola's look (personal taste), especially the interior.

I'm new to the forum, so I'm definitely not trying to start a flame war. All honest opinions appreciated. My wife's best friend has a 2000 Civic LX that when the AC is going you can hang meat in, so its wierd that the 2001's would be less powerful (in terms of air conditioning).

Thanks,

Marcus
  • Options
    marcus31marcus31 Member Posts: 2
    seems the spell check changed where I live. :)
  • Options
    As many of you probably know from my numerous posts, I just bought a Civic. I live in PA, and we've had some moderately warm weather lately. I think the A/C is just fine. I had a '99 VW Jetta before this...now that had wimpy A/C. In the Civic, I especially like the fact that there are many fan speeds. In my experience, the fan settings in many cars are either too high, or too low; it seems you can never get just the right speed unless you have some type of auto climate control. In the Civic, you won't have that problem.
  • Options
    You sound just like me. What kind of shocks are you goign to install? And where can you buy the sound deadening?
  • Options
    f6bikerf6biker Member Posts: 33
    I live in Florida and A/C is really important here. My 01 Civic LX has better than average A/C so far at 8,000 miles. When you come to a full stop the engine idle is so low that I thought the car had stalled a few times when I first got it. I think that the A/C cycles very infrequently at these low rpm's.
  • Options
    Q: Another product which is not been living up to your hopes in the U.S. market is the Civic, and one reason seems to be the decision to go with MacPherson struts in the front suspension, rather than the prior double-wishbone.

A: Civic's sales performance is a little bit behind what we expected. There are a couple of reasons for that. One reason is that we put pretty heavy incentives on the Civic last year. This year, nothing. After we identify some possible countermeasures, we will take action.
    http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories0611/yoshino611.htm
  • Options
    rgarbacciorgarbaccio Member Posts: 42
    Hi all - have been an avid reader. Finally get a chance to be a buyer. I need car by mid-September for sure..definitely want Civic EX automatic 4dr. Any advice on strategy w.r.t: rebates, 2002 models coming out, timing of purchase?

I have read the prior links...am I correct in saying that Honda won't offer rebates on the Civic, that the 2002 models will be nearly identical and identically priced..and that the end of the month should be best? Should I just wait for the 2002 which may address any new model problems...or should I try to work a great deal on a 2001?

Thanks for your help...I can buy as soon as August 1st.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Plenty of time to mull it over. You may be able to choose between model years, but I don't think there'll be anything other than low rate financing offered on the '01's. That alone may be enough to sway you, and if that's the case you may want to buy a bit sooner to take advantage of the current inventory buildup.
  • Options
    Honda has never offered a rebate on the Civic as far as I can remember. You'll just have to haggle with the dealer, which should be pretty easy considering the Civic is not the hot item it once was. Sales are down over the 2000 model year.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    i bought mine in september of 99, and even though the car was listed as a 99, it was made in august of 1999, which would make it a 2000 model. for whatever reason it was sold as 99, it let me negotiate a better price and qualified for 4.9% finacing from honda. check www.carsdirect.com before you go to the dealer. bring a print out, the dealer might be willing to beat the price, and let you get financing from honda. in theory, you can call up honda finance and apply for honda loan, if you qualify for the low rate, and then take that to www.carsdirect.com and buy the car there. carsdirect offered 7.9% APR, i am not sure on the current rate.
    honda never had a rebate, and probably never will, rebates depreciate the car faster. they might have hidden incentives that dealer gets.
  • Options
    well I disagree again with mdriver!
    Regarding sales of 2001 Civic down compared to 2000.
    Civics produced in North America (USA + Canada)
    6/10/00: 183,320
    6/9/01: 189,422 (+3.3%)
    Considering 3.9% 36 months rates offered by Honda on 2000 models it doesn't look all bad. However the new Sentra did much better (+86%).
    http://www.autonews.com/html/main/art/prod611.pdf
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Md's point was that Honda, in general, DOES NOT DO CONSUMER LEVEL REBATES...period. What they WILL do is everything else: dealer incentives [which usually, but not always, result in lower transaction prices...you have to go armed with the knowledge that the dealer money is on the table], option packages, and most often, subsidized financing.

Clearly, Honda is correctly disappointed with both the sales numbers, general popular reaction, and defect rates with the new Civic. Eventually, I would look for both dealer incentives and subvented financing, though probably not until late July or early August. But don't hold your breath for direct-to-consumer rebates - Honda just doesn't believe in them as a marketing tool. They believe that rebates "devalue the brand" - you can agree or disagree, but that doesn't change it.
  • Options
    I was disagreeing with mdriver regarding his comment on civic production "Sales are down over the 2000 model year." I've even attached a link to show production compared to last year.
    Honda did offer factory incentive of lower interest rate for 2000 civics.
    If you look at all of his posts, he's pretty negative about 2001 civics.
  • Options
    I still don't think Honda offers even a dealer rebate. If they do, it is hidden in the price and is not a quantifiable amount known to the public. Other auto makers that offer factory to dealer rebates at least publish that amount and it is treated similar to a factory to consumer rebate during the buying process. Rebates do lower resale value I agree. I think it will be good for Honda that the new Civic is selling well under its goals. This will force them for the first time to either offer some kind of financial incentive (rebate) or some no-charge extra equipment like alloy wheels. Ford does this all of the time to move inventory. When the Focus came out, they only offered 15" alloys, then started offering 16" alloys at essentially the same price.