Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• Options
    nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    The rear end on the C320 has a different final drive ratio, should make the car slightly slower 0-60, but it should get better hwy mileage. I've heard that the 240 went up by $500, but the 320 did not, but until it's posted at mbusa.com I would know for sure. Supposedly, the "white" color is slightly changed for 2002.
  • Options
    pk6pk6 Member Posts: 26
    when you're tinkering around in your MB and find that dreaded Mopar label attached to something.. bets anyone?
  • Options
    cticctic Member Posts: 291
    My transmission woes continue.

My SA says the next is to meet the MBUSA rep. My question:

Should I make an appointment with the other dealer or see the rep?
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    FYI, the all-new '02 Lexus ES300:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/46910/article.html

Personally, I don't think that the C-class has anything to worry about aesthetics-wise.

Meanwhile, the '01 C-class wagon wins the '01 Eyes on Design award:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/events/detroit2001/eyesondesign/awards04.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    >Has anyone tried listening to the engine for a >minute or so after start-up with the a/a/c and >radio off......

Nanky -- I realize now that until yesterday I have never been in the car without the CD, radio or climate control on. After reading your post, I am going to turn everything off on a regular basis to listen and become acquainted with the normal car sounds so I will be able to recognize those that are not.

Miki
  • Options
    Denise -- I enjoyed your post and hope you will become a more active participant in the future. My best friend lives in Mississauga -- must be not too far from you.

It appears that you also have the makings of a car fanatic like many of us. I don't think you mentioned rubber gloves. Winter driving up there will be a crazy-maker for you, methinks :)

Miki
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Never turn down the opportunity to talk directly with the man/woman from MBUSA. You always have the option to take it somewhere else, but rarely get the chance to talk directly to someone who might actually have the power to do something out of the ordinary. Take it.

And re: another post, another board: better socialized medicine than none at all for 25% of the population. Guess we can agree to disagree...
  • Options
    cticctic Member Posts: 291
    Thanks for the advice on the rep.

Actually everyone in the US has medical care. It's a fallacy that they don't. It's insurance that some percentage don't have. They have problems north of the border too. Long waits. No hospital beds. Sometimes you have to get in line for a place in a line. So some people have to pay twice. Once for forced socialized insurance. Once again when they really have to see a doctor.
  • Options
    Anyone been to My Garage yet? (on MBUSA :) I have 1319 miles on my C320 Obsidian picked up May 30, 2001, and they are telling me car is due for its next service at 3,000 miles. I was hoping the site would have some positive value.

Miki
  • Options
    flyingfoxoneflyingfoxone Member Posts: 12
    diwc240 -- It appears as if our long-term gas mileage is very close (within 1/3 of a mile per gallon), even though our cars have different size engines, final drive ratios and transmission types! Uncanny, no?

A local Shell station has also just changed its gas pump stickers from '92' to '91' octane. Is anyone else here old enough to remember when you could buy Chevron Custom Supreme gas with something like 101 octane? Lots of lead in it, though...
  • Options
    benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    has picked up my 2002 C 240, 10 days back, noticed a ticking sound when I take a turn, (I beleive it comes from a Steering Wheel) has any body noticed that ? please advise
  • Options
    rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    Miki, I noticed the same thing. I was going to email them from the "contact us" page, but the form was soooo long! I am amazed that they don't even know the proper schedule.
  • Options
    diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Miki, I was surprised the Garage did not have the right service intervals for the C Class. Flexible Service System is in a drop down list but was not selectable ??? I had the Goodyear's rotated last week at 5500 miles at the Goodyear Gemini dealer (no charge with Road Hazard Ins.).

FlyingFoxOne, yes we are very close on economy. I love the six speed and probably push the tach past 5000 rpm a bit too much. My commute is only 25 miles each day, half city, half back country roads. I don't drop it into 6th gear very often until I'm on the highway 65 mph+. (I did avg.
    29.4 mpg at 70 mph on a 4 hour stretch from Syracuse to Delaware Water Gap back in April).

5700 Beautiful trouble free miles !!! (since Feb.15th) Such a dream to drive IMO...
  • Options
    >I was surprised the Garage did not have the >right service intervals for the C Class. >Flexible Service System is in a drop down list >but was not selectable ??? I had the Goodyear's >rotated last week at 5500 miles at the Goodyear >Gemini dealer (no charge with Road Hazard Ins.)

Hi Ian -- I did not see a drop-down list to select service type. Options were purchase or lease, purchase date, new or old, warranty length and warranty miles, current mileage and estimated mileage, license plate. Entering the VIN number brought up the right model -- C320 2001. However, the problem seems to be when selecting purchase date and entering the year 2001, it changes to 2000 at some point. When I do an edit or reset, the 2000 stays there. I will give it a while to calm down, go back and try to delete my entries and start afresh.

Glad your your tires were rotated at no charge (as it should be) -- gotta get your money's worth :)

RS64 -- Perhaps you are having the same config problems with My Garage as I am.

Miki
  • Options
    htma1htma1 Member Posts: 10
    This should answer VIN questions.

The VIN [WDB R F 61 F X 1 F 123456]
    translates as follows:
    WDB - Manufacturer, Daimler
    R - C class sedan
    F - Sedan (H - station wagon, J - Coupe, M - AMG)
    61 - 240 model (62 - 320)
    F - Restraint system, wuth ETR, supplemental airbag, front side airbags (G - same as F but adds 3 point belts in rear, J, G plus belt in rear center, rear side impact bags, ETR on rear 3-point belts)
    X - check digit, can be 0 to 9 or x
    1 - model year 2001
    F Manufacturing plant (A-E = Sindelfingen, F-H=Bremen, J=Rastatt, T=Karmann, X=Graz)
    123456 - sequence (serial) number
  • Options
    nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Which letter code is for the Brazilian plant, the city is Juiz de Fora according to the DC webpage?
  • Options
    skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    How can I unsubscribe from this board, yet keep other subscriptions that I have?
  • Options
    husky11husky11 Member Posts: 53
    Re: your post # 4003: When did the transmiision woes begin on your C280 and what is the problem?
    Thanks
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You should see a "Change Subscripts" button just above the post box at the bottom of this page. Click on that, then on the page that presents, uncheck the box that says "Track New Messages". Then click OK.

That will unsubscribe you from a specific discussion without disturbing your other subscriptions.

You can find more information on subscriptions in the Town Hall Help file linked on the left sidebar of all TH pages.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    When I was living in New England (where I'm from) I would put newspapers over my mats from December through April and change them on a bi-weekly basis - didn't look real pretty, but spared the car's interior the salt and grit.

The best thing was being able to throw the paper away when it got dirty - no cleaning required! I believe it also helped retain trade-in value. Of course if I had business clients or other less-forgiving passengers in the car, the newspaper would come out for that day.

Here in Georgia the worst thing we have is red clay. But I too have mats over the Mercedes mats over carpet, as I want the car to be like new inside for as long as I have it. And yes, if I move back up north it will get the newspaper treatment every winter!

Thanks for your post, Denise - as you can see I too am guilty!

- Paul
  • Options
    I have a '00 C230 and was trying to decipher my VIN# - am OK up to the "Y" for manufacturing plant (Stuttgart according to the door label), but then there is a letter "A" followed by the sequence number. Perhaps "YA" is Stuttgart?
  • Options
    How about this one? Albeit it is not so much a cleanliness issue... Many years ago, for the commute to and from work, my mum used to take off her high heels to drive her E-class (manual) with her bare feet; well, with stockings. That's the way that she was taught by her driving instructor, so she stuck along with it for years. Needless to say, her car always had clean pedals!

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    weberamgweberamg Member Posts: 43
    I'm planning to purchase a C240 with a 6 spd. I want the car to be a fun daily driver. I also want it cheap, so I'm only opting for a few basic options: contour seat, Xenon's, Bose, C3 and C4.

My big dilemma is with the sport package. The first is the price, but I understand that includes premium leather (I'd want cloth if I could get it, so that doesn't do anything for me). I've read in the factory brochure that the handling enhancements are only larger sway bars (plus wheels/tires). However, the web-site mentions heavier springs and re-valved shocks as well.

Does anybody have the sport package? Does anybody precisely what the handling enhancements consist of? I know this is subjective, but do people believe it's worth $3K?
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    A neighbor of mine has the previous generation C280 with the sport option and he claims it handles much better than his former C230. Back then, it was a pure giveaway by Mercedes. Only cost him something like $850. Why everybody didn't get it is a mystery, since almost any single one of the four package items - leather, sport seats, firmer suspension, larger wheels and tires - would cost at least close to $850 individually.

You really should test drive both cars - with & without sport package - to decide how much of a difference in handling you can feel - and whether it's worth the (now more realistic) cost of $3k. I also think you would get some of the cost back in a trade-in or sale, especially since a 6-speed will likely appeal to the more sporting set.

If it's any consolation, the $4,000 "sport" package on the E320/430 is for squat. Gives you nothing more than slightly more aggressive tires and a bunch of "aero" add-ons. No firmer suspension or better seats and leather is already standard. Anybody who buys it clearly has $4k that they want to throw away. A BMW 5-series with their sport package completely outhandles the E-class, in my opinion.
  • Options
    sandiegotomsandiegotom Member Posts: 50
    In my Post # 3898, I said:

"Thanks for posting the links to the MB service bulletins. I ran across Message #508 dated 11/1/00 which precisely describes the 'whining' noise on deceleration that I reported here in post #3559 (6/25/01). It appears that some C320s display this gear noise because the differential cover comes into contact with the rear subframe on deceleration from highway speeds. The fix is the installation of two shims to gain adequate clearance. The service bulletin says that it applies to VINs below 022063; my VIN is 031373. I've contacted the dealer service rep, and while he was not familiar with the issue, he did find the Message #508 when I gave him the reference. They are ordering the shims, and should install them next week."

I took the car in last week - the technician took it for a road test and (naturally) could not duplicate the noise. To his credit, he put the car on a lift for inspection (as I had requested) and found that the differential cover was touching the rear subframe and had worn an area on the subframe. He removed three heat shields, removed the driveline center bearing, installed the shims, and reassembled everything. Result: no more whining!

Tom
  • Options
    lxgmblxgmb Member Posts: 41
    The 3-month-old 3000-miles C320 got a lot of brake dust at the both front wheels. Is this normal?
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    Common complaint nowadays on a lot of models: MB, Audi, BMW. Check their msg boards and you'll see.

The pads are softer to stop better and give you a nice feel on the brake pedal. There are various companies that make replacement pads w/ less dust. Audi folks love Mintex. ML owners have tried Rotex w/ good success. No idea if any are available for the C yet since it is so new.
  • Options
    diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Hot Rims /Cool Care All Wheel Cleaner

If you dont know what type of wheels you have, this is the safe choice. Hot Rims is a highly effective formula that removes road grime and brake dust on all wheel surfaces...or surfaces surrounding the wheels. We use tough, penetrating, neutralizing agents that dissolve and lift the dirt and grime by breaking it down and washing it away. Just spray it on and hose it off.
    G-9524 ....................24 oz. (Spray) $4.99 a bottle.

http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=CW

Make sure your rims are cool first. This stuff works very well ! IMO. and a coat of wax on the clear coat rims helps too....
  • Options
    nkolenkole Member Posts: 18
    Weberamg,

One part of the sport package I find quite ugly is the metal interior trim which automatically replaces the nice wood in the standard model. I find this hard to swallow given the $3K cost.

Neil
  • Options
    lxgmblxgmb Member Posts: 41
    I wonder why no brake dust at the rear wheels.
    They use different pads on front and rear wheels?
  • Options
    I thought I would miss the zebrano wood trim from my '95 C220 when I traded last August for a '00 C230 Sport - but having lived with the carbon-fiber trim for a year now, actually prefer it to the wood. However, I miss polishing the wood as it was very beautiful! Decisions, decisions - this one was made for me by MB though, as I wanted the Special Edition Sport package and it was only $1,200 USD. more. It did not feel that unique, as there were 8 similarly equipped C230s and C280s on the dealer's lot that must be circulating around Atlanta today. And it seemed like it was last November or December before all of them finally left the lot.

Does anyone else have the special edition on their '00, and if so has it lived up to (or exceeded) your expectations? I'm very happy with this car and feel the trade-up cost was well worth it, especially for the added HP. I still love the older Mercedes too, though. Such is the case with classic automobiles, which I consider all Mercedes-Benz machines to be!

On "brake dust again" by lxgmb, I believe there is more friction that occurs in the front wheels when stopping, hence the greater buildup of brake dust there and quicker wear on the front pads/rotors. I am a telecommunications engineer, not an automobile one - so I can't guarantee that. But I am pretty good with how things work and how things wear out, and always try to minimize the latter.
  • Options
    Drew -- I am getting ready to do some chip repair. They are tiny little dots not in obvious places -- a good way to experiment -- and are
    too little to call in the mobile chip repair service. I remember your posting info on the subject and saying you prepared the surface with alcohol (not Liebfraumilch Glockenspiel :)

I have very fine art brushes and I have alcohol for the Obsidian and alcohol for me. What else do you think I need?

Miki
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...only do about 25-40% of the work, so dust proportionately less. But they will get dirty too, just not as quickly.

Ordinary water, a little car wash solution in a bucket, and a dedicated towel are all you need. It just takes effort.
  • Options
    mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Remember the proper sequence...alcohol for car first, Miki second.
  • Options
    weberamgweberamg Member Posts: 43
    Michhala-

There's a new product on the market that makes repairing paint chips easier. No, I'm not associated with the company that sells it, just a happy user.

I have a 1991 Porsche 928GT that I show in Porsche Club Concours events. It only has 35k miles and the original paint (red). I've used the product to touch-up chips on the car with excellent results. It does NOT make them invisible, just a lot less noticeable. The product is called Langka. Before I purchased the product, I read the results from a fellow 928 owner (again, he's not affiliated with the company, either). His review with pictures is at: http://www.billsworkshop.com/P928S4/langka.htm

The Company's website is at: http://www.langka.com/

It might be worth checking out.

John Weber

1991 Porsche 928GT

1987 MD 300D (240k miles)

2002 MD C240 6 spd (planned purchase)

• Options
    rs64rs64 Member Posts: 64
    I have used the Langka on my brillant silver c240 and it does work well. The difficult part is getting the metallic from the bottle to match the car.

Miki, if you want to come down to Long Beach you can try some of mine.
  • Options
    >Remember the proper sequence
    Mark -- LOL -- I will remember!

Miki
  • Options

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html

• Options
    John -- My thanks for the info re Langka. I ordered a bottle for my metallic Obsidian to try. My chip touchups on my old BMW (oil-based paint) were always satisfactory, and I used a light rubbing compound on the "blob". The new paints, however, seem more delicate and I am a bit wary of using a rubbing compound.

There has been mention of air-brushing, and I wonder if this method is used by dealers or bodyshops.

Miki
  • Options
    mb_a_mustmb_a_must Member Posts: 32
    Yep ... What do you do with the brake dust? A lot of the wheel cleaners work well but the problem with them is you have to wash the car every 2-3 days. I ended up purchasing the dust shields for all four wheels on my 2001 C240. I can tell you that they almost eliminated the dust! The actually look good too. They are black and are placed behind your silver wheels. I have had them for about 3 months now and are a believer! Also placed them on my sisters BMW C325ci. Same thing ... works great!
    greg@thedailydonut.com
  • Options
    >I have used the Langka on my brilliant silver >c240 and it does work well. The difficult part >is getting the metallic from the bottle to match >the car.

rs64 -- I was told the easiest color to match was black, then white --and that the metallics were more difficult with the silver being most difficult. So, methinks if you got a satisfactory result from your chip repair you have done well.

>Miki, if you want to come down to Long Beach you >can try some of >mine.

Just look for a blonde driving an extraordinarily shiny Obsidian 320 with a recognizable license plate :)

Miki
  • Options
    While they do work, MB strongly recommends against them because they significantly increase brake fade by restricting air flow to the rotors, even with the fins. They may cause the rotors to warp, or increase brake wear. If you do have any brake rotors or pad problems, MB can choose to void your warranty because of these shields. Not many people realise this, but the wheels patterns are designed to channel air to the brakes, and not just for looks.

If the brake dust issue was so easily solved, MB, BMW, VW, Volvo, and Audi would've impliment it a long time ago!

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    mleskovarmleskovar Member Posts: 171
    Not many people like the Langka but it works for me. It's not rubbing compound per se. It doesn't react with paint that's been hardened, only the touch up paint and you apply it before it completely hardens. It skims a slight amount with each pass. Our C series paint is SO thin it's difficult to use but looks better than the blob. You end up with a smaller, smoother blob that shines...but you can see it. On thicker and older enamles it works real well.
  • Options
    afmbguyafmbguy Member Posts: 19
    Does anybody remember the toll free # for clairparts.com b/c the site is not accessible??? Or has a link to another site with good deals on the cd changer?

Thanks
  • Options
    rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    To speak to a brand specialist or order parts not listed on the site you can call 1-800-354-5100 or e-mail us at parts@clair.com.
  • Options
    >Our C series paint is SO thin it's difficult to >use but looks better than the blob. You end up >with a smaller, smoother blob that shines...but >you can see it. On thicker and older enamels it >works real well.

Methinks I will go very carefully -- my chips are tiny little specks -- as if one took the point of a needle to the paint.

My thanks, Mark.

Miki
  • Options
    afmbguyafmbguy Member Posts: 19
    I have read this forum everyday since January. It has lots of information about C-class. I appreciated and enjoyed almost all of them. I am a new owner of a Silver C-320 since March. So far I have only 1400 miles with almost no problem except the right-side fog lights was replaced due to moisture inside (day 1). So far I got 20 in city and 28 in highway. Lets share some of the old topics about cheap price new Mercedes in oversea markets. Yes, it exists. Lately my friend brought a new 2001 S-320 in Hong Kong for about 25% to 35% cheaper than the MSPR. It is from the so called local 'Grey Market' which is very popular in Asia. The catch is no warranty. You
    can get any makes or models. Lately there is some strange thumping noise coming from the rear speaker after driving for a while. My trunk is empty. Once it happens, it repeats for roughly every 10-20 minutes. I remember someone from California complaining about it about 4 or 5 months ago. Does anyone experience it or any answer about it. ... Many thanks The clairparts.com has just updated its Internet site with prices increased...e.g. CD-Changer from $368 (last week) to $570 (I talked to John). Does anyone know any Mercedes places for cheaper prices?

Thanks
  • Options
    rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    http://www.autoclass.net/ is the place I have shopped.
  • Options
    PrestaPresta Member Posts: 6
    I, like many others have had key problems with my C-Class. I got new keys about a month ago and everything was working fine--doors opening and closing, car starting--until this morning. Walked up to the car, opened the doors, put the key in the ignition, nothing. Wouldn't turn. The little red light on the stereo was still blinking. Tried the other key. Nothing. Unlocked and locked the doors, put the key in and out of the ignition 12 times (the reprogramming trick). Still nothing. Called Tele-Aid and they were baffled that the key would open the doors and not start the car. They had me try cleaning the lenses on the ignition slot and the key. That didn't work either. I'm waiting for a service advisor from my local dealer to call me at this point.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have some serious doubts about taking this car on a road trip now. Imagine not being able to start the car out in the middle of nowhere! My previous car was a Honda. Needless to say, it never left me stranded.

Presta
  • Options
    dogcowdogcow Member Posts: 8
    I had a similar problem where the key would not in the ignition (and it wouldn't lock the doors either) but if I flipped the key over it would turn, maybe you are always inserting the key in the same direction?

I hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.