Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What's It Worth in Today's Market

Comments

• Options
    C13C13 Member Posts: 390
    WOW WAS THAT A TELEGRAM R WHAT STOP
    WHAT IS "A LITTLE" BODYWORK STOP
    IS THE QUEEN PROVIDED OR DOES THE BUYER HAVE TO PROVIDE HIS OWN STOP
    TAKE OFF CAPS LOCK AND THROW IN THE ODD COMMA OR PERIOD STOP

IF EVERYTHING WORKS, I'LL SAY $4K. AFTER BODYWORK, 5 OR 6K. WITH LOW-MI QUEEN IN GOOD SHAPE, COULD BE MORE.
  • Options
    FREDERICKFREDERICK Member Posts: 228
    You got me to bite. Fold down Queen size bed?! Gotta love those old car designers. What the hell were they thinking? I guess they decided everyone would be making nooky in the back seat anyway so they'd just make it more convenient!

If everything works, I'd snap this one up in a second! A very low mile QUEEN to boot would be very attractive! (JK-I don't go that way)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm having trouble identifying this car from your description, Mike...is this a series 6300 Deville (sometimes shown as a series 62 sub series?). A 6 window 4 dr hardtop or 4 window?

Without knowing more, I'd say C13 is darn close to real value...cars like these do not attract large number of buyers, but there are interested people out there--however, to get a decent price the vehicle has to look good, because they are large and complex and therefore expensive to put right with no big, big value on the other end...if someone is going to take on the job of restoring an old Caddy, they are more likely to put that considerable effort into a ragtop or two-door hardtop. Obviously, you know all this yourself, and are ready to pass the work onto someone else.

This would be a great car for a traveling band or a limo service or some other kind of service...ahem...

So I'd suggeet putting a $4,995 pricetag on it if you can live with that and if you get anyone with any kind of close offer, take it because as I said you'll attract tons of tire kickers but not too many people with real money--so take the first good offer if it seems fair to you.
  • Options
    cones4uscones4us Member Posts: 2
    Hello!

I have a 1976 maroon Dodge Dart Sport V6 with
    52K miles. The car has rust in the rear and a dent on the driver side. The roof is
    cracking and the AM radio has shorted out. The car is drivable. (maintains 50MPH on main roads here)
    My question finally is..does it have any significant value? Also how to contact anyone who
    might appreciate an older car. Hate to drop it off at junk yard...Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Cones4us,

Regarding your car, no, it has no significant value and probably never will, but it's a good sturdy car and would no doubt make adequate transportation for someone...presuming it's safe enough and not polluting grossly (with 52K miles it shouldn't be), I'd like to think some hard-working person might like to buy it cheap and put a little work into the mechanicals...those engines (it can't be a V-6, must be a slant six) & transmissions are pretty indestructible.

good luck,

Your Host
  • Options
    440x440x Member Posts: 3
    I can't understand how some peole with a 66 whatever,with 800,000 miles on it and think it's worth $25,000.
  • Options
    cones4uscones4us Member Posts: 2
    Hello!
    MR_SHIFTRIGHT, thank you for your response about our 1976 Dodge Dart Sport. My wife has owned the car since 1977 (College Days). It has been our 2nd car for many years. We just ordered a new Toyota Sienna for the family. Our 87 Olds
    Ciera, now will be the 2nd car.
    We will look up a few charities and see if any of them will accept the car. The way we see it, the charity can sell it to a person in need and receive funds for their purposes.
    We called our local High School's automotive
    department and were turned down. They have enough
    cars to teach on.
    Thank you again for your information!
    Harvey
  • Options
    You're welcome Harvey, that sounds like a good plan for the car.

Dear 440x: The market for "classic" cars has been pretty well established and is well-documented. There's really no excuse for someone not being able to get relatively accurate information on the value of old cars...of course, there's bound to be some variation in estimates, since some price guides are higher than others...also, since values are based on condition, it is a natural human tendency to overestimate the condition of the car in question. Last of all, some owners don't research actual auction or sales prices, and base their estimates on asking, or "wishful" prices.

Very often, some owners are just genuinely misunderstanding something...they see, for instance, that "a '66 Plymouth sold for $60,000 dollars"....well, what they didn't read was that it was a convertible, was a Hemi, was a 4-speed, was an over-the-top restoration, and was sold at a high-roller auction. This is not the same as a '66 Plymouth 4-door with rust and three colors of paint.

It's like any other collector hobby, be it trains or model ships or Barbie dolls or Star Trek stuff...one shouldn't be buying and selling until one knows the hobby pretty well.
  • Options
    rick63rick63 Member Posts: 10
    Hello;
    I am trying to determine a fair value for a car I am thinking of selling, Now don't laugh and don't ask what is it, but I have a "71" Mazda R-100, original color(Mars red), paint was updated properly, although 10 years ago, a few little blemishes now exist, body is straight, interior is immaculate and the 10A rotary engine has only 5K since last re-build 130K total. I know its not a classic as classic cars go but in my opinion it is a very unusual car in nice shape. It has not been driven much lately 2 yrs, but did run well last time, Any thoughts on how to find a good home for it and at what decent price?
  • Options
    john12john12 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there would have any idea on a price i could get for a 1971 Olsmobile 442 Convertible. It has 45,000 original miles, 455 engine, power windows/locks and leather interior....excellent condition, thanks in advance 442 olds
  • Options
    rick:
    Don't know. I can't find it listed.

john:
    condition 1 - $18K
    2 - $13 / 14K
    3 - $8 / 9K
    according to VMR
  • Options
    Hi Rick, John!

Yes, I think I'd agree with C13s comments on the Olds 4-4-2 value...this is presuming a very, very nice car, but not a show car. The mileage is great, this will certainly help you get your price if you can document these miles with some type of written proof...if you can't, even if it's true, it would be hard to collect a premium for mileage, and in fact, without proof, I would not, if I were you, testify that it is true mileage...you can always say 'to the best of my knowledge'---otherwise a buyer can come back and bite you should he/she find evidence of higher mileage.

On the Mazda 100---well, with cars like this, which are 'interesting' but do not have much of a collector following, it is rather hard to establish a market based on such few sales and on so little information; therefore, the only reasonable thing to do with cars of this type is to treat them as used cars....what would you expect to get for a nice, clean 1971 Japanese car?

It is possible this car might be worth more in Japan, where some patriot might be wanting to fill in his/her ENTIRE Mazda collection, but then the cost of transporting it there, or of even reaching the Japanese marketing with advertising, kind of negates the possible better price.

I'd say put an ad in Hemmings Motor News, run it for at least 3 months, and ask for best offers...you may find some Mazda nut out there in this great big wonderful country of ours....hope so, and good luck. I had an RX-3 coupe for a while and really liked it.
  • Options
    badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    If the interior is original on that 442 it would be vinyl not leather.
  • Options
    john12john12 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your comments...i can't vouch for anything about the car, i was just trying to find info for a friend of mine who is involved in a messy financial dispute....i didn't know it wasn't leather, appreciate it
  • Options
    Well, you might tell him that originality and documentation of mileage can make for a significant impact on value. You could have two cars that look identical from 5 feet away with the hoods closed and yet one could be worth double the other.
  • Options
    stevet3stevet3 Member Posts: 1
    I know someone who is selling a 1976 Pontiac Lemans in really good condition with only 40,000 orig. miles. I am trying to find out its value.
  • Options
    Well, there's no collectible value but it might make someone a good used car...do you think those miles are real? Actually sometime such low mileage works against a sale because the car has porbably been laid up or unregistered for part of its life.

Anyway, I'd suspect the actual market value is $3,500 if it's nice, but the seller could start higher and see what happens...maybe $4,995. I'd take any serious real money offer, though, and anything down to $2,000-2,500 is not unreasonable.
  • Options
    ibracedribracedr Member Posts: 1
    My Dad is Lookingat a 1977 Pontiac Trans Am in Mint condition with 90,000 miles on it and he was wondering what the market value is...
  • Options
    The Trans Am by that time, 1977, was a pretty tame version of its former self. The big engine was dropped the year befor and horsepower was down while production numbers were high (over 68,000 made)...so it's not all that rare or heavily collected car...But it is popular enough that some people still like them a lot...I'd think $6,000 should get you a nice daily driver, and an over the top immaculate trophy winning restored gold-plated show car maybe $10,000.
  • Options
    seymour1239seymour1239 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1980 vw rabbit ls with air conditioning, sunroof, cruise control, diesel, 4 dr. black and 175000 highway miles. What is it worth?
  • Options
    hi seymour,

Well, it's no classic but if it runs well it would be good basic transportation for someone...I have no idea, but seems to me that any car that can start and run around the block is worth $750 these days.
  • Options
    sporter2sporter2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1965 mercedes 190 that is clean, just has
    not been started for about 8 years. How much is it
    worth?
  • Options
    That depends entirely on condition, as it would with any used car...presuming excellent body and interior, 3,500-4,000. If the car is less than presentable, with dings and dents or poor interior, something like $1,500-2,000 would be current fair market. There is no collectible value to be factored in, but these cars are still good for economical and comfortable transportation.
  • Options
    cindypierce2cindypierce2 Member Posts: 1
    have 1973 volkswagon karmen ghia. has been in storage with under 1000 miles. front end damage due to accident.
  • Options
    bakertrailbakertrail Member Posts: 1
    dear mr. shiftright,

i'd like to sell my '69 cadillac convertible (always in denver, co. till '88), all the options are there and working including the a/c, pwr windows and seat, clock auto headlights, inside trunk release, power antenna, on and on. excellent professional "on-the-frame" restoration including fully rebuilt motor, trans., new paint in '94, suspension, top, brakes, nice #2, shows very well, fully detailed, runs like new, gets enough use to be kept in shape (2,000 mi/yr.).

can you suggest a price that will attract the buyers (i don't expect to cover my investment the project was a joy and all the car shows and complements it got were worth it. an afternoon summer outing in it w/ the top down is priceless)?

and any sites that would be good places to list the offer?
  • Options
    vlampasovlampaso Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1969 vw conv...
    How can figure the selling price ?????
  • Options
    jdrifmeyerjdrifmeyer Member Posts: 1
    saw a '47 Ford 2 dr coupe for sale, reportedly new brakes, electircal, repainted and redone interior, looks in a "good+" condition, but windshield (driver side) is cracked, and enging and tranny are not original.
    AS I have no experience in this, can anyone suggest a price range? Owner is asking $6500.00
    thank you
    jeff
  • Options
    drcavdrcav Member Posts: 4
    Help!!
    I have no experience in the following sale of this type of auto---
    I am looking to buy a 1968 Cord Convt. 90k orginal miles, one owner. Beautiful car no body damage runs great, two-tone paint white /blue fenders.
    Ford 302 engine, trans, rear end.
    The owner is asking $11,000 is this sale price fair?? If anyone can help me regarding this car I would really appreciate it. Contact me at e-mail--drcav@rocketmail.com
  • Options
    Oh, you're thinking of *buying* it?

Well, it's not a Cord. It's a Cord replica. Some replicas are well-designed and built. Most aren't.

It might be a fun car to drive. I'm inclined to think that 11K is high, but I have no frame of reference except what the thing is worth *to me*, which is not much.

Buy it if you like it, but realize that its monetary value will continue to sink, and probably pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Dear C13
    Thanks for your input. Yes of course it is a replica but was made by the Cord Motor Co. in Oklahoma.
    Does anyone know of a Cord club? or some other person/persons that would know about this type of auto?? All of you are great thanks for the information...
    drcav
  • Options
    So somebody bought the rights to the Cord name. I know nothing about the new company or their claim to the name.

The original Cord club won't speak to you, but there could well be a club for these modern neo-"Cords".

A fiberglas body on a Ford truck frame could possibly be a fun ride. Be advised that most companies do a half-assed job, and rattles and squeeks will develop. Maybe this "Cord" company does a good job. Who knows?

My advice would be:
    1. Buy NOTHING in a fever. Don't worry about somebody buying it out from under you. It may be a fun way to blow some money but it is definitely no 'steal'. I hope you're not thinking of this thing as an investment. This is an extravagance.
    2. Check into the manufacturer and see if they're still in business. See what you can find on the net about them from other owners. Do the cars fall apart?
    3. Go to the bookstore and look at some books about the real Cords. After you see some pictures of Gordon Beuhrigs' masterly work, take another look at this fiberglas-bodied Ford truck, and see if it still looks good to you. This might help with #1 above.
  • Options
    C 13
    Thanks for the advise!! I appreciate you responding to my request.
  • Options
    Dear CindyPierce,

It's hard to place a value on your car without knowing the extent of the front end damage. As this is a unibody car, body damage is difficult to repair, say as compared to a car with a separate frame and bolt-on body.

If this were a coupe and in great shape, I've seen these selling in the $7,500 range...with such low miles, someone might pay more.

What you'd need to do is get a qualified estimate for repairs, and deduct that from current market value...add a few thousand more in market value for a convertible.

BAKERTRAIL--if your '69 Caddy is as nice as you say, I might suggest a $10,000 asking price if you can live with that, as a starting point for a possible sale. As for advertising, Hemmings Motor News is really the best place for your type of car. It's not expensive, and you'll get lots of responses. Another place is

traderonline.com

good luck in selling it!

VLAMPASO--the value of your '69 VW convertible will depend entirely on condition...only the very nicest ones bring serious money, and even then prices vary widely depending on originality or quality of restoration. You have to remember that there are quite a few VWs out there, so supply is at least as high as demand. I've seen tired ones sell for $2,500 and high-quality restorations for $10,000+...so the range is too big to pin down without details on your car.

DRCAV---I've answered your question in one of your duplicate posts. As C13 suggests, this is not a real Cord of course, and you would not be eligible or particulary welcome in the Cord club. You'd have to buy a car like this strictly for yur own enjoyment, realizing that it is and will always be regarded as a reproduction, and thus not enjoying or deserving the prestige or value of the real car.

I don't mean to sound snobby about it--those are just the facts, so just keep in mind what you're expecting from the purchase...if it's just to enjoy a Sunday drive in a open car, then why not?

I can say, though, that this does not sound like one of the higher quality reproductions done by Glenn Pray, who used front-drive and a Corvair engine (in an attempt to replcate the original Cord's front-drive design). A Ford V-8 would be a rear-wheel drive car, so the whole idea of what made a Cord special has been disregarded, seems to me.

good luck with your purchase!

Mr Shiftright
  • Options
    rparsonsrparsons Member Posts: 1
    Would anyone have an idea what a 1969 Ford XL FastBack would be worth? This car has the original 429v4, c6 transmission, 9 in. rear, with 280 road gears. Body is in excellent shape, also has bucket seats and cragger mags. Black/gray interior, auto transmission with a shift kit. Any information would be helpful, or any place that I can obtain this type of information. THANKS
  • Options
    Dear rparsons,

The price of cars like yours depends quite heavily on whether it has been modified or not. Highest prices go to cars that have all original equipment. My best guess, which could vary plus or minus a few thousand, would be around $5,500 for a stock Galaxie XL and 50-60% premium for the big engine, so something like $8,000- $9,000 if it were really really nice.

Here's a site you can consult for more info:

http://www.vmrintl.com/

Host
  • Options
    nyct126nyct126 Member Posts: 1
    i am looking to find out what my car is worth it is a59 lincoln 2door mark4 ex cond all orig my grandfather owned it since new i have it 9 years now i replaced frontend parts like ball joints ect other wise nothing else needed to be done i go to shows but never found the same car i am looking to sell it now
  • Options
    If it's a clean daily driver, a #3 or low #2 (consult topic 5 for explanations of condition)

>

I'd say around $7,500 would be about all the money. Deduct accordingly for body or interior damage. A stunning, faultless show car might bring $12,000, but it would have to be the best in the world.
  • Options
    aceracer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1974 Dodge Charger. I am getting ready to restore it and was wondering if anyone would know of a good Mopar Dealer that I could possibly get some parts books off from. I was also wondering if I could get a price check. If so e-mail me at: w3251@gisco.net
  • Options
    Dear Acer,

You might try Year One, a Dodge /Plymouth restoration parts specialist, at 1-800-YEAR ONE...
    they sell a pretty nice parts/technical catalog for $7.50.

and here's a site that links a bunch of Mopar Parts sources:

http://www.mnsinc.com/nolen/parts.htm

As for value, that depends on condition, etc, but generally the 1974s are too late for the big prices...as you probably know, it's the earlier 68-71 cars that are the meanest and hence the most valuable.

So be careful how much you spend, and most of all, enjoy your new hobby and good luck with the project!
  • Options
    gonzo4gonzo4 Member Posts: 2
    I would like information on the going rate of a 1966 Ford Mustang in excellent condition.
  • Options
    Dear gonzo,

I'd need to know lots more about the car....body type, engine, options and condition...you can refer to topic 5 of this conference for determining the condition of this car. Here's that link...look it over and also re-post the othr info about the car, and I can come up with a ballpark number for you.

>

Host
  • Options
    gonzo4gonzo4 Member Posts: 2
    mr. shiftright the car is in good condition. 200 slant six automatic trans. totally original with the exception of gaurds on side of car. 58000 miles original owner.
  • Options
    And what is the body type (coupe, fastback, convert)and the number of condition, as described in Topic 5? I'll need this info to give you a good answer.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    A slant six in a Mustang?

That must be rare!
  • Options
    badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    Make sure to subtract for a non-original engine.
  • Options
    Okay, that's quite enough from the upper balcony, thank you. And I have a slant-six trivia question for you in the Trivia topic...that should keep you both out of trouble for a minute. Meanwhile, I await the body type description on this '66 Mustang....

shifty
  • Options
    oakliftoaklift Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    First time visitor here... looking to find reasonable offering price for my parents' 1977 Ford LTD Station Wagon (they're downsizing to one car).

This car was purchased new by my dad, always kept in garage, well-maintained over the years as a family car, but not "restored". Has approx. 90,000 original miles. V8, 265hp engine, air, 3 seats. No woodgrain. Upholstery always covered by custom made fabric covers that my Mom made, so looks great. I think there are a few rust spots low on the side panels (which never would have remained if my Dad were still in good health).

It has been driven infrequently the last few years, so last year all seals & belts & gaskets were replaced. It was professionally detailed June 1999. I am not aware of any mechanical problems.

We have been driving it to & from the apartment they're moving to (from a house my Dad's family moved into in 1926 -- can you imagine 73 years of stuff to sift through, in order to move them from a large 4BR house to a small 2BR apartment? But I digress...)

I have already checked out VMR online (which for some reason doesn't seem to list wagons, only sedans, for that year -- unless I'm reading it wrong??) and Hemmings online (no listings for wagons, either).

Any help?
    Many thanks,
    Arlene
  • Options
    Hi Arlene,

The difference in value between wagons and sedans on the LTDs is not great, just a little less for wagons, so perhaps that's why they weren't listed.

You should look at our Topic 5, which lists the various Levels of Condition, and figure out which your car is, first of all. To me, it sounds like a low #3.

On a 1977 LTD wagon figure values something like this:

#5 --$500 (poor but running and all there)
    #4 --$1000 (decent but with obvious faults_
    #3 --$1,500 (good solid attractive driver)
    #2 --$2,250 (very, very nice, like 5 year old car)
    #1 --$3,000 (stunning perfect show car).

I hope this helps, good luck

Shiftright
  • Options
    bbodebbode Member Posts: 1
    I have a 67 Buick skylark convertible that was my father-in-laws. About 95% restored with a fairly recent $3,000 paint job. Has just over 60M original miles powered by small V-8. Garaged all the time and gets driven less than 100 miles a year. Silly thing runs like a sewing machine. Sits in the garage all winter and after six months it starts in the first 20 seconds. Go figure. Any idea how much the market value might be? Bill
  • Options
    oakliftoaklift Member Posts: 3
    Many thanks, Shiftright, for the assistance.

Arlene
This discussion has been closed.