Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    The only light you will see is on the 4x4 switch.

If the service 4x4 light is on, like mine was, the 4wd is not working.
  • Options
    corrinas30corrinas30 Member Posts: 11
    This is an update on my troubles with my Trailblazer LT EXT. It had been vibrating and at times somewhat severe. Its been in the shop for two days. I just got a call from the dealership and they think the problem is deep in the engine and they may need to either replace or rebuild my engine! My TB only has 36,800 miles on it. They have been honoring my warranty up until this point but they question if they can do that for something so major. I am waiting for a call from the department manager who is going to contact GM to get information on what route they (the dealership) should take.

I am at a loss! I really don't know what to do.

Corrina
  • Options
    ylabylab Member Posts: 46
    Keep in mind that the 2002 model year had some defective engine block/liner assemblies. If this happens to be the source of the vibration, it should still be a warrantied repair as the 2002 model year warranty was extended for failures of this nature. - Might not be a bad idea to remind them of this fact and see if they feel the engine has a liner problem.

Ray
  • Options
    corrinas30corrinas30 Member Posts: 11
    Ray,

Do you know where I can find information on common problems in the 02' TB? Like where you got your tid bit about an extended warranty?

Corrina
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have you looked in Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy Problems?

tidester, host
  • Options
    blink3blink3 Member Posts: 74
    Like on a move over long distance. What did you use to tow your vehicle? A trailer, tow dolly???
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    The letter you are looking for was sent in June of 2003. It was very specific in what was being covered for an extended period. It involves the possibility of cracking of a engine cylinder bore liner. Your engine's symptoms may or may not be due to this problem.

You should contact Chevy Customer assistance at 1-800-630-2438 for information.

Good Luck
  • Options
    I have an LS with the 16" wheels and have the chance to buy a set of 17" LTZ wheels cheap.

Is there any difference in the ride or do they just look better.
  • Options
    01_hoe01_hoe Member Posts: 273
    Never had to tow my Envoy. Did read somewhere that the TB and Envoy can be put in full neutral so the drive line is totally free wheeling if needed.
  • Options
    bobed2121bobed2121 Member Posts: 70
    Sorry 01. You like 20" wheels you buy em. My opinion is that they look dumb. Yes I'm over 40 and I never thought the day would come when a man would wear an earring but it did. I was once full of piss and vinegar and thought buying every aftermarket product would mean something, It did too, it meant my wallet got smaller. Now If I want a fancy ride I'll wait until someone else blows chunks of bucks then buy it from them at 1/2 what they spent :)
  • Options
    Started my 02 TB today and thought for a minute it didn't start, the instrument cluster was completely dead. I heard the engine running so I didn't try to restart it. Drove straight to my Chev. dealer and did not shut the car off until the mechanic verified the cluster was dead. Am now driving a loaner Chev. Colorado PU truck for a while. Once again Murphy's Law is proven out.
  • Options
    slothsloth Member Posts: 1
  • Options
    ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    It will handle better, and firm up the ride a bit, but not so it's uncomfortable. The reason is because you'll use a lower profile tire with the 17's. 65 vs. 70. This will make the outside diameter about the same, but the shorter wall of the tire won't give as much in the corners, giving you more control and less lean.

By the way, this is strictly for on-road. Don't do this if you go off road a lot because there's less protection for the wheels.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Was there supposed to be a question or comment in there?

tidester, host
  • Options
    dweissdweiss Member Posts: 4
    Is there a resolution to the problem with the ABS brake, emergency brake and service 4wd lights coming on? Some have said the ignition switch replacement solved the problem, but message #10301 indicates that it didn't make a difference.
  • Options
    Opinions are like navels, (or another orifice) everyone has one. Don't see what age has to do with wheels, or aftermarket products. What someone chooses to spend their money on is their own business, whether it be their car, residence, or body. But we can agree to disagree.
  • Options
    cirdancirdan Member Posts: 9
    You should also make sure the orange dots ARE lit. (They all light up when starting, then only the active state is illuminated.) My 4wd was out, but the idiot light was not on. Fortunately, I noticed there were no orange dots and took it in to the dealer. They confirmed the switch was broken and fixed it.

You can tow the 4wd trailblazers, but put the transfer case (not just the transmission) in neutral. READ THE MANUAL, it will tell you how.
  • Options
    previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I just did the same and put on Michlin Cross Terrains for new tires. It looks great with the 17" LTZ rims. I only notice a tiny bit of extra bump on pavement. It could be the bigger wheel, new tires, or bad road conditions due to the harsh winter. I did need new tires and I'm glad I made the minor change with factory LTZ rims. No bling for me. I have also debagged the back end, took off the roof racks and rails, added factory fog lights, and put on mud flaps to my LS.
  • Options
    Your right, age has nothing to do with aftermarket-product$. Look at what old man Carroll Shelby is doing with the tuner generation, Cha-Ching. As far as what someone chooses to spend their money on at least some choices return a profit. Hobbies, like cars do cost money. I used to ride a Yamaha R1 superbike. Yes it was always needing new tires and oil changes and yes when I sold it I took a hit. One thing is for sure though, every time I took it on a mountain road I had a grin you couldn't wipe off with a motor grader!!!
  • Options
    I started to research the tires that I would need. The LTZ comes with P245/65R-17's and that is not a common size and are usually special order. The few companies that make tires in that size are poorly rated in the 11/04 Consumer Reports SUV tire ratings. The Factory BF Gooodrich tires are rated 22nd out of 22 rated. The Michelin Cross Terrains are rated 19th. I think I will stick with the 16" Wheels and select from one of the top rated tires that are good in snow.
  • Options
    Hey 2k. I don't have the 11/04 CR nor know where to find one at this moment. If you would be so kind, what exactly does it say about the BFG's that give them a 22 out of 22? I mean I have them on my LTZ with 53,000 and still another 10k+ left on them (only because the wife drives it you know). If it rates poorly because of "snow" then I think I'm safe out here in California because they do quite nicely on beach sand.

FYI I have been buying my tires from tirerack.com for years and I can get the 245's for $89 ea and in just a couple days delivered right to my door. Any shop will mount and balance them for about $10 per wheel.
  • Options
    ugltrkugltrk Member Posts: 16
    2002 Envoy I6 w/ 35,000 miles,when started cold, it sounds like a diesel(piston slap). Has anyone had this , and what could it be? After it reaches norm temp, it sounds ok. I have the ext warrente to 60,000.
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Try 255/60-17's. They are/were available on the Bravada and the Buick. Much bigger selection.

$10 to mount and balance? Where? Cheapest I've ever found was $15, w/a $2.50 per tire disposal fee.

GAM
  • Options
    allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    Look at this ratings chart from tirerack the cross terrains are rated 4th for all the Highway all-season tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?typ- e=HAS

Allen
  • Options
    I don't know where your at but there are alot of little hole in the wall tire shops around here that are plenty willing to mount up and balance tires for el-cheapo. Safety concerns? These are the same gentleman that you'd find in any Firestone shop using the same equipment, just without the same overhead.

Not always necessary to go to Baskin-Robbins for Ice cream when Rite-Aid sells the same thing.
  • Options
    rad225rad225 Member Posts: 15
    I just replaced my OEM BFG Rugged Trails after 55K miles, tires were beginning to slide in snow and slush. Replaced with Michelin Cross Terrains. Michelin's handle better, the road noise is about the same (we have lots of grooved concrete in Reno) and XC have excellent braking on wet surfaces. I have a TB LTZ with 17" wheels for better handling, I added a Hotchkis rear sway bar and vehicle is very stable.
  • Options
    raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    Consumer Reports should stick to rating refrigerators and leave cars (and their parts) alone. They have zero credibility based on my observations and experiences and I canceled my subscription long ago for this very reason. Just out of curiosity, what tires did they rate highest ... and on what basis? The Tire Rack has over 400 ratings by individuals of the Michelin Cross Terrain. Almost all of them rave about the tire and say it's the finest they've ever had. Not bad for a #19 rated tire ....
  • Options
    earlcearlc Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for your info. Did you have to pay for your fan clutch replacement? If so and you don't mind, how much? I sent a very long letter to GM complaining about having to pay anything for this job since I had the problem from day one. I also blasted my dealer and I identified the dealer to GM and complained about them telling me the roaring from day one was normal. I will never go to this dealer again and I have told all my family and friends not to visit this dealer.

You should send a complaint to GM and your dealer also.
  • Options
    I concur with the post on consumer reports. For several years they have been anti U.S. and pro foreign cars.
  • Options
    gmcmangmcman Member Posts: 30
    I think this is what you are looking for

http://www.blackrobotics.com/
  • Options
    Instrument cluster failure was due to bad ignition switch, replaced under extended warranty. Brake squeal was due to loose and unlubricated axle seal (?). Brake light circuit boards (2) and light bulbs replaced. Power steering whining noise (could not duplicate). Windshield wiper motor recall- done.

Cost to G.M. to repair defective parts--unknown.

Value to me to have them do it, PRICELESS

Extended Warranty, get it before it's too late.
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Anyone experience engine ticking when warm on their triplets? It's audible from outside the truck and sounds like a fuel injector or something like that. It will frequently go away if you turn off the truck and restart it. GM quality strikes again!

Greg
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    A few weeks ago when I was at the dealer, the service writer told me the fan clutch can start making a ticking noise before it fails. Might want to check that.
  • Options
    Not always necessary to go to Baskin-Robbins for Ice cream when Rite-Aid sells the same thing. Is that what you tell your kids? They're gonna remember that someday when they're shopping for your nursing home! :-)
  • Options
    It sounds like piston slap because it is piston slap. Common on some GM and Toyota Engines. It's benign though and GM won't fix it for you as it's nothing that will affect performance, or wear.
  • Options
    I wonder how many of these triplets would have been purchased if they all had piston slap on everyone's first test drive. I bet GM would have found a fix then. Who's to say it is benign. The fan roar was said to be normal and therefore benign, until the warranty expires, then it is a chargeable repair.

Check out www.pistonslap.com for more info.

It doesn't sound so benign after all.
  • Options
    Apples to Apples ross...apples to apples. Whats the worse thing that can happen to one that eats rite-aid ice cream instead of BR's?? Nothing, absolutely nothing. Now on the other hand I might consider spending those extra dollars for quality care. What I do teach my kids is that some things in life are worth the money. Buying big wheels and eating ice cream at Baskin robbins are purely examples of conspicuous consumption. :^P
  • Options
    malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Hello everyone

The manual says that by now I should have the fule filter, PVC valve, belts, and tranny fluid replaced. Does any one know if this is something I should do now? My car runs perfectly fine and I want to keep it that way. Is it recommended to do now? I do all highway driving 5 days a week.

Thanks
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    Check out www.pistonslap.com for more info.

It doesn't sound so benign after all.

That website is of dubious credibility at best.

If you do some searching, the overriding opinion among mechanics is that it is benign as long as it goes away when the engine warms up.

I've got to ask the question to folks here - when did you ever get rid of a vehicle because the engine went bad (and how many miles did it have)?

It just seems that too many people worry to death about car maintenance all while they're getting new cars every 4 years.
  • Options
    malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Does nayone know if the floormats for the Trailblazers were changed after 2002? My originals were very thick and had a vinyl heal pad, I ordered new ones and got these flimsy ones without the heel pad, the dealership says they dont make them with the heelpad anymore, is that true? If they still do, whats the part number for that?
  • Options
    would you buy a car that had obvious piston slap when you first started it? I wonder now if piston slap is a precursor to cylinder sleeves becoming dislodged. Surely, a piston banging against the side of a cylinder wall causes some wear and gouging. It isn't much of a stretch to assume the banging against the cylinder liner can cause it to break loose. As far as the web site pistonslap.com having dubious credibility, I leave that to the experts to decide. Reading some of the site articles convinces me that the problem is greatly understated by those who would have to pay for the repair. MIT engineers have no financial stake in reporting the facts. Read: What the experts say, at the site.
  • Options
    Malibu yes I'd follow the manufacturers recommendations to a T (except the 12,000 mile oil change thingy in the manual). You might want to do a very close inspection of the belt for any tiny cracks or uneven wear. If none, I'd leave the belt alone
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    Surely, a piston banging against the side of a cylinder wall causes some wear and gouging

Yes, but if they made the piston big enough to not have piston slap when cold, it would expand due to heat and would be grinding against the cylinder wall when warm. It can't be perfect.

The piston slap issue isn't confined to GM. You can go to goole and see complaints against Ford, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, etc.

http://www.alldata.com/techtips/2002/20021101a.html
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    It causes much less wearthan you would think. I had two piston replaced in my Subaru a year ago because of piston slap. The noise lasted about 15 minutes after startup. It only lasted that long when the outside temp was well bellow zero. Subaru covered it under warranty. I saw the pistons and block durring repair. There was no visible wear with 50,000 miles on it.

Our 03 Tahoe has a little slap as well but again only when its really cold outside. For the Tahoe it lasts about 10 seconds at most.

As for the question on motors blowing up. My 91 s15 jimmy made 200k and 12 years before it quit.

-jay
  • Options
    I know what you mean, it's like when someone responds to something two others are talking about and says he agrees without saying what he agrees with.
  • Options
    Hey, it seems you're the only one who has ever posted to this website you keep plugging. It must be yours. And no, I don't believe you bought a new Envoy for $17,800. I think you're trying to generate posts. Jeeze!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I didn't know where this thread was going until I got the housekeeping message from Karen, our Senior Host, who cleaned out some posts. Seems that the spamming went on in several boards today.

Back to the Triplets (Doublets?)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I took the mats out of mine when it was new and put them in the basement. I bought Husky liners for the front and backseats and I got a good deal on the GM rear cargo liner. This is my 1st new car and I wanted it to last. I just cleaned it over the weekend, had the liners out, the carpets look factory fresh. It was the best money I ever spent. You can find them cheap on the internet. I got mine from summit racing

• Options
    I also got my Husky mats for the Envoy at Summit

Racing. Only mat I could find that covered the dead pedal.
  • Options
    jnettlesjnettles Member Posts: 1
    I own a 02 TB and I'm loving this thing. It's a comfortable driver, PLENTY of power on tap, and in decent shape for 2 and 1/2 years of wear and tear. No warranty costs(freshly ran out though) and only the minor recalls and such. But recently the back left window motor sounded like it's teeth stripped or something... Anyone else had this problem??? jnet