Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    wapwapwapwap Member Posts: 11
    Have my TB LT and I am interested in any info re:
    #1 installing a remote start system.
    Has anyone installed one, if so professionally or privately? Does installing privately (myself) void any part of the factory warranty? Any ideas on who to contact about the warranty?
    #2 I have noticed several times that the Air Bag light does not shut off after starting the vehicle and occasionaly has come on while driving (total of about 5 times) Has anyone else had this problem? Fixed?
  • Options
    agentelevenagenteleven Member Posts: 95
    My airbag light has remained on after start up twice in 4500 miles. Each time, restarting the truck caused it to operate normally.

The second time it stayed on, my OnStar light was also glowing red (normally glows green). Restarting fixed that, too.

I attributed my two incidents to typical start-up glitches... but if yours comes on while DRIVING, I would definitely have it checked out.
  • Options
    bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    I've heard that the cassette tape adapters sometimes sound better too -- ALAS, my Envoy only came w/ the CD player, so the FM Soundfeeder is my only choice -- plus it's transportable to ANY vehicle AND I can play my MP3's over my home stereo as well...
  • Options
    icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    I'm looking into a 3rd-part extended warranty, as I am a little concerned about the long-term quality of my soon-to-be-delivered TB. Does anyone have any experience with them?

This will be the first car that I have owned, so I have never had a car past the manufacturer's warranty. I don't have a good sense of how much repairs cost, but a 7-yr 100K mile warranty costs about $1000, and it seems to me that $1000 worth of repairs in years 4-7 is not such a stretch.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks.
  • Options
    boz151boz151 Member Posts: 11
    Wapwap,
    My Olds dealer offered me remote start installed at the dealer. Not sure the brand, but it was $399 for the model that worked off the key fob and did not go thru walls and $499 for the upscale model that apparently worked thru walls. We have not had it installed, but probably soon.

Hope this helps.

Boz
  • Options
    iluvmaxiluvmax Member Posts: 33
    I am writing this for a woman I work with who just bought a New Loaded Envoy. The truck is only 2 weeks old and the heater died. I thought it may have been a blown fan fuse but the dealer ordered a whole new heater for her. Is this a fluke or is this typical GM quality?
  • Options
    wapwapwapwap Member Posts: 11
    Boz151

I would definately look into a aftermarket Remote startup, $399 and $499 seem high priced. I have called one place in the Chicago area and was quoted at $150, so check I would check around.
    Thanks, still no update if I intstall myself and what happens with the warranty. Dealers are definately getting more strick, a friend just bought a Ram 1500 (i think) and by changing the oil himself will void the warranty! Every oil changes need to be documented--unbelievable!
  • Options
    d2000one1d2000one1 Member Posts: 47
    Every since I've had my Envoy, I've noticed that the footwell on the passenger's side doesn't light up when all the interior lights are one. Only the driver's side has a light. Is that how all Envoys are, or do I have bulb that needs to be replaced? It's very cold outside, and I don't want to get down to check it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    andersonpandersonp Member Posts: 6
    I guess my luck was going to run out sooner than later. I own a Majectic Red, LT Trailblazer. She is outfitted with grey leather interior, rear radio/hvac controls, factory sunroof, factory running boards, bug deflector, window visors, and aftermarket DVD/TV/VCP Entertainment center including wireless/wired headphones.

My problems have been minimal up to this point:
    1. Oil Leak caused by local dealership. (Loose oil filter.)
    2. Overall gas mileage of 17.6 - 17.8 mpg as displayed by computer.
    3. Intermittent cutout of the right side speakers.

Today was a bad day. Wife called me at work to inform me that the engine appeared to be idling high and she noticed that the daytime running lamp indicator lamp went out. In addition, the lamps behind some of the gauses went out as well. After spending an hour in the mall, everything returned to normal. Tomorrow I am scheduled to have my vehicle inspected by the dealership. I hope that everything is ok. I will keep everyone inform of what happens.
  • Options
    n2sjxn2sjx Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone heard, or can you listen if you hear this noise? It sounds like a slight "click" ot "tick". I believe it is coming from the cylinder head area in the front of the engine above the alternator. Also, I can hear it by sticking my ear up near the top of the tire / fender area. It is not very load, but curious if it is "normal". Let the car idle down to about 600 rpm.

Thanks

John
  • Options
    jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    Concerning the rip job on the Triplets by Christian Wardlaw after the TB was named Truck of the Year, I have two major concerns. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to make statements that are completely wrong.

Number 1 -- Christian complains of "Tight rear quarters for adults" in the triplets.

FACTS:
    TB/Envoy
    Rear Headroom 39.6
    Rear Shoulder Room 58.5
    Rear Hip Room 58.1
    Rear Legroom 37.1

Explorer
    Rear Headroom 38.9
    Rear Shoulder Room 58.9
    Rear Hip Room 54.3
    Rear Legroom 37.2

Which SUV was tight in the rear?

Number 2 -- "Sketchy build quality issues" I guess it's worse to have possible future problems than confirmed ones (Ford Explorer's with defective tires (that Ford Execs knew all about long before any recall)). Funny how many other vehicles had Wilderness AT's but the Explorer's seemed to have such a higher rate of problems (Design flaw?)
  • Options
    fletch45fletch45 Member Posts: 72
    Just heard a tick in my TB this morning...first time I have heard it. The temperature was cold, about 5 degrees, but the engine was up to temp. It was a slow tick (at idle), like a piece of the belt slapping something. When I popped the hood latch and went to lift the hood, the tick had stopped. Damifino. If it's serious, it will come back. Some have reported cylinder liners coming loose, so I will be listening.
    jim f
  • Options
    Yes, I also thought it sounded like a belt noise as it was slow. But after investigating, I found it was not a belt, but sounded as it was coming from the area above the alternator, near the box with the heat sinks. Now I am starting to worry about bore liners! But the noise is not really apparent unless you listen for it. Maybe I am worrying about nothing...

John
  • Options
    Andersonp,
    When I took my Envoy in for the Transmission Control Module reprogram recall on Dec 24th, the service advisor informed me that they had also did a eprom flash to address known intermitttent gauge problems. (my speedometer would not zero out and would stay at 10MPH at a dead stop on occasion) Not sure if that's related to your mysterious gauge bulb problem, but might be worth having him check into it... Have had no problems since...
  • Options
    noller2gnoller2g Member Posts: 60
    Could it be a fuel injector? Or perhaps a relay? A fuel pressure regulator?

My 2000 Honda Valkyrie motorcycle has an emission control device that will click loudly sometimes.

My 2000 Lincoln LS had a cold click that was an injector. Not fixed, still no problem.

Goes away when warm.

My 1999 Ford F150 5.4 V8 sounded like a Diesel when cold. Ended up replacing the motor with a FQR (factory rebuild) under warranty and that motor not only sounded like a Diesel, but had a bearing knock as well. Dumped it quick and now drive a beat up old (paid for) 1986 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4 with 162,000 miles. Lots of clicks (and leaks).

Engines make noises. From my experience with a FQR replacement, I'll stick with the original motor, clicks and all until there is a major failure. Why get a replacement (rebuilt) motor just because of some cold clicks. If a sleeve gives way, then get a replacement motor.

Oldsmobile comes with a 6 yr 60K protection plan anyway, and I'll not keep this car past that.

If we could afford Land Rovers or Sequoias (sp) or the Mercedes or BMW we'd not have to worry about anything.

Usual disclaimers apply: IMHO YMMV

WichitaGreg
    2002 Jewl Red Olds Bravada
  • Options
    icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    FYI-

A friend with an Envoy told me that he was told the battery problems are likely to be caused by faulty OnStar programming. The OnStar system is supposed to have an automatic "sleep" function when not in use. If this is progrmmed incorrectly (it doesn't go to sleep) the OnStar will drain the batters, especially if the car is not started over two days.
  • Options
    I believe the noise may be a fuel injector... It sounds as if it is coming from under the black cover that curls up to the intake. Will a ticking injector damage anything?

John
  • Options
    lbarterlbarter Member Posts: 6
    Can any one tell me the location of the six speakers in my vehicle. I know there are a total of four in the doors, but where are the other two? The speaker ports on the dash do not appear to have any speakers.

Thans in advance.
  • Options
    dankirkdankirk Member Posts: 19
    If it is not Bose, there are no speakers in the dash. There are two speakers in each of the front doors, a mid-range and a tweeter. There is one speaker in each of the rear doors, for a total of six.
  • Options
    lbarterlbarter Member Posts: 6
    Can any one tell me the location of the six speakers in my vehicle. I know there are a total of four in the doors, but where are the other two? The speaker ports on the dash do not appear to have any speakers.

Thans in advance.
  • Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Well for those that are following the wandering mirrors posts and those that remember my rants about my Auto Climate system not heating properly below 87 degrees, keep an eye on your monitor this week.

I got a call on Monday from my dealer and am set to bring my LTZ in Wednesday for an installation of newly designed Mirror Moduals and a software upgrade to the programing within the HVAC that GM now admits has flaws.

Both the service manager and District Manager conference called me at work and set up the visit.

I'll keep everyone posted. I know not many have complained about the HVAC, but if you can feel cool, not warm or hot air blowing from your lower vents while set on say 82-85 degrees, keep in touch.

tim
    02 LTZ
  • Options
    baitisjbaitisj Member Posts: 24
    Tim:
    Would it be trouble for you to e-mail me your service manager's telephone number so that I could have my svc departmet give them a call? email to { baitisj at cyberdude dot com } (keeps spam search engines away)

I took in my Envoy to the service department here in Pasadena and demonstrated to them that the HVAC had problems with the lower vent setting. They seemed unimpressed, but I'm glad to hear that GM has found this to be a fault.

Keep in touch, and let us know how it goes.
    Regards,
    Jeff
  • Options
    dyfinedyfine Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if GM is offering winter mats made especially for any of the triplets yet? I have an Envoy and with the weather we've been having, it's starting to get a little messy out there! If anyone has the part numbers, I'd appreciate a posting (haven't seen them posted in any previous messages). Thanks!
  • Options
    sostroublesostrouble Member Posts: 65
    I checked my Envoy last night. There is a light on the drivers side foot well, but passenger side didn't light up, only the light from the roof shining down there. I didn't check for a light, just notice the difference you were talking about.
  • Options
    A couple sources for custom fit non-oem mats:

WeatherTech (MacNiel Automotive)

http://www.macneil.com/store/prodsearch.asp

Mats4Less

http://www.mats4less.com/envoy.html
  • Options
    perkolaterperkolater Member Posts: 7
    Don't order them! I received the set I ordered from them yesterday and they are not even CLOSE to the right size for my Bravada. I ordered what they stated where the right ones for a 2002 but they are not "notched" correctly and they are about 8 inches to long.

Nowhere near what I need. Now, I'm stuck for postage and handling AND the postage to return them. Live and Learn I guess, I won't order from them again.
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I have the GM rubber mats for my 2002 Envoy. They fit perfectly and color match is perfect. They were ordered in June and I did not get them until late Oct. or early Nov. There was some sort of "quality" issue with the manufacturer. I bought some Wal mart cheapies to use until the GM ones got here. My dealer gave me the GM mats because I had waited so long for them. They were worth the wait. They even have some two tone piping around the edge, so they really look nice. They have a honeycomb pattern to trap the dirt and moisture very well. I do not have the part numbers because I never was billed or saw an invoice on them.
  • Options
    reddeerreddeer Member Posts: 2
    Tim,

I am having the same problems on my Bravada along with the air compressor cycle hiss and the front passenger seat belt choke hold.

Really hoping you get your issues solved so I can go back to my dealer and show them what's happened.

Best of Luck,

Len
  • Options
    perkolaterperkolater Member Posts: 7
    I called customer service again, and spoke with a much more helpful rep who when she looked at my order immediately commented that "there was no way those mats would fit." She agreed to give me a full refund including shipping! Still no Mats, but at least the customer service was better! She did tell me that MacNeil should have the right mats in stock in 3-4 weeks. Weather Tech W32.

Also, I just verified the rubber GM mats for a 2002 Bravada:

1. The front mats are part number 12497747.
    2. The rear mats are part number 12497716.

I just ordered the full set (front and rear) from gmpartsdirect.com for $73.00 including shipping. I will let you folks know how they turn out!
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up Perkolater... good to know they made things right!...
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Hi:
    I have the same old problem many have had in deciding between a new Envoy or Trailblazer. In round numbers, I figure that for comparably-equipped models, the Trailblazer LS is about $2000 cheaper than the Envoy SLE. Now, granted, about $900 of this difference is due to the absence of OnStar on the Trailblazer; if added on, the difference would then be about $1100. I have a cellphone, however, so I'm not sure how much I would use OnStar anyway. So my questions are:
    1) As a group, who have been happier--owners of Envoys or Trailblazers?
    2) Are there any design differences that would make one mechanically less reliable than the other over a long period of time?
    3) Is either one likely to have a better resale value?
    4) I have seen others say that the Envoy has a better quality interior. Do you agree, and is that worth the approx. $1100 difference?

Thanks!
  • Options
    vplazavplaza Member Posts: 47
    pepper50,

Regarding your predicament about picking one over the other, in our case, we test drove both the LTZ and SLT models. For us, the SLT put the smile on our face after the drive.

We felt that the Envoy (and no disrespect to the TB owners here):

1) Looked better on the outside (front and rear views)
    2) Had a nicer interior design
    3) More comfortable seats

Though the TB LTZ had nicer wheels, in our opinion, the Envoy hit the spot. That's not to say that it hits everyone's spots, but for us, those three factors are what made us pick the Envoy over the TB. (Since we didn't opt for the air suspension on the Envoy, engine, tranny, suspension, etc. were the same anyway.)

I can't speak for other Envoy or TB owners, but we are fairly happy with the vehicle (except for the damned paint problem, which is present in ALL Envoys I've seen but can't say for certain that the TBs have it too).

Quality? Aren't they made in the same plant by the same people? Resale value? My guess is they'd be close, with the Envoy having a slight edge since it cost more to begin with.

IMHO, it probably could come down to two things: Aesthetics and Chevy vs GMC. How you feel about which one looks better and/or whether you have any strong feelings either way about Chevy or GMC should determine what you get.

FWIW.
  • Options
    hmaximohmaximo Member Posts: 22
    I beleive the difference in the interior alone is worth the extra money for the Envoy.The TB is a nice choice for some but I enjoy the nicer touches inside the Envoy.Another thing I have seen is the window tint:base model TB's have clear glass and look very cheap overall.The LTZ would have been my 2nd choice but I can't get over the wheels and Geo Tracker looking front end.You can get very nice polished Aluminum rims on the Envoy.Mechanically they are both identical for the most part if not 100% and this engine is so smooth I can't beleive it.Many custom parts are starting to emerge for both.Either way you should be happy.
  • Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Jeff

check your email and let me know how things go out on the west coast.

tim
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Vplaza, you alluded above to the paint problem on Envoys, and I have seen some other references on here to paint problems, but I haven't seen anyone define it. Can you describe what exactly the problem is, and what I should look for on any models I inspect on the dealer lot? And is it true for all colors?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    garykinggaryking Member Posts: 47
    In a Carpoint review of the Envoy, the reviewer complained of wind noise, and in the SLT I took for a test drive yesterday, the wind noise at any speed above about 45 MPH was terrible! Is this a common thing with the Envoy? I really like the vehicle, but there is no way I could tolerate the wind noise. Is this normal? Can it be fixed? Any input from you Envoy owners out there would be appreciated!
  • Options
    andersonpandersonp Member Posts: 6
    Bryancos,
    I received a call from the dealership stating that my TB was ready for pickup. When I started it up, I thought I was in a diesel powered TB. The truck was idling very high and very harsh. Lucky for me, a service manager was available to witness the problem. My TB had been transformed into a monster. As a result, they kept the truck over night and gave me a loaner.

They stated that they reprogrammed the computer and were awaiting a injector for my TB. I called today and was notified that the part had not arrived. I am not in a rush to get the truck back, I just want it repaired properly and running smoothly when it is returned. To top it off, the dealership called tonight and ask was I pleased with the service. They had to be reminded that they still have my vehicle.

Updates to follow.
  • Options
    calienvoycalienvoy Member Posts: 6
    I have posted before with the increased RPM's at highway speed and the loud fan noise that occurs with this problem. I have also had the problem with the 4WD lights changing without turning the 4WD switch. I took the Envoy in to service this week and they told me that the 4WD switch was bad and that this was a common problem. But the worst part about my problem with the increased RPM's was that they said I needed a new transmission. Is there anyone still having problems with the high revs at speeds of 60-75mph? I am curious to see if anyone else has had this problem and fixed without changing out the transmission.
  • Options
    baitisjbaitisj Member Posts: 24
    Regarding the in-dash speakers that are missing if you do not have the Bose radio:

Are electrical connections in the dash for these speakers? I would be interested in putting in a couple of tweeters if it is easy to get inside the dash.

Also, I'm wondering if I should buy the sevice manual, because I'm very interested in the electrical system (stereo, OnStar and otherwise) in the car. I'm an EE and am not as interested in the mechanics of the machine. I'm mainly interested in the electronics. Could someone with a service manual make a recommendation?

-Jeff
  • Options
    giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    Just when I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Bravada, I had to go and find this group :'). Seriously, while I simply don't have the time to read 3000+ post, I would like some real owners feed back about the triplets, specifically the Bravada. Also I couldn't help but notice the vocal participants discussions leaning towards a gripe fest over poor satisfaction about build quality. I realize that people generally complain before they compliment, but there seems to be quite a few build quality issues. Having owned a 1998 Ford Explorer Limited for the last 4 years, I'm not immune to these issues and I really wanted a better owning experience next time around, and I finally settled on the Bravada after looking at all the other competitors, but now I'm having my doubts. Has everyone had their build quality issues resolved to their satisfaction, or at least feel that their dealer is making an honest attempt at resolving the issues? The mirror memory issue really gets to me as this was one of the many new features I was looking forward to. Should a new triplet special ordered within the next few weeks have all the latest service bulletins performed on it without my intervention? What has been the average delivery time on special orders? Have many of you had difficulty with sales managers giving you their best deal due to not being willing to buy on the spot? I probably have a few more questions, but I'll save them for later. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    billsoterbillsoter Member Posts: 49
    to John Giddens
    I bought a 2002 Bravada in May for my wife and we're thrilled with it. We only have 4,000 miles on it and have had only 2 minor problems which were corrected quickly. I appreciate the problems others on this board have reported and I have looked for them on our Bravada but have no evidence of any. We think that this is one outstanding vehicle. The only downer is that, so far, we only get about 17 mpg
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    We bought a Bravada this past September and it has been great. My wife now has about 13K kms on it and aside from a sticky door and a small trim issue, it has been smooth sailing. The truck is so comfortable and I can't say enough about the engine.

I was a bit hesitant to buy a first year truck, but I have no regrets. GM makes very good trucks, probably the reason they now sell more than Ford.
  • Options
    pcrisppcrisp Member Posts: 22
    We bought our Bravada in July 2001. We have almost 5000 miles on it with only a few complaints. First of all, the main reason that I bought the Bravada was because of the family discount and the long warranty. Otherwise we would have bought either the Infiniti QX4 or a Lexus RX300. The only complaints with the Bravada are - aluminum side moldings between windows started to get air bubbles underneath (service replaced both sides within 1 week of the complaint, mirrors wandering (service has orderd new mirrors for both sides, not in yet), vibration in the accelerator around 45-55 MPH (nothing can be done supposedly), wind noise from door seals (not too bad, but it seems as though it could be easily fixed by GM). I used to work as an industrial engineer for GM before I went to college, and I know that quality has always been an issue. But when the union is always fighting with GM over this and that, maybe people just don't care as much anymore. Anhow, I love our Bravada, and the minor quirks so far could also be a part of having a brand new vehicle that the service people don't even know how to work on yet. Good Luck with your decisions!

My 2 cents. - Paul
  • Options
    tcd2tcd2 Member Posts: 16
    Has anybody with the squeal/whistle, notice that it has become intermittent with an increase in temperature like I have? The warmer it is outside the less I hear the squeal and it didn't do it at all yesterday, the day I dropped it off at the dealer to checked.
  • Options
    baitisj:

I have a TB LTZ without the Bose system. I don't have speakers under the grills of my dash, either.

I have removed the dash with the molded-in grills to see if maybe it was pre-wired. It's a fairly easy task, no screws, everything just pops out, at least on the Chevy.

I did NOT find any wiring. That's not to say there's not something lurking much deeper inside the dash, however. There was a black piece of cardboard screwed in over the holes for the speakers. I should have taken measurements for depth and height, but didn't.

I've checked Crutchfield on occasion to see if they list what speakers would fit in that location, but they never mention the dash for the TB.

I'm curious as to how to wire those speakers. Should they wire in parallel to the door speakers? Should the existing tweeter in the door be disconnected? I wouldn't want to introduce impedance problems to an already hot-running amp.
  • Options
    c2h6oc2h6o Member Posts: 32
    I have a TB LTZ with the Electrochromatic mirrors. I also had the electro-chrome on the rearview mirror of my previous 1998 Blazer.

I was wondering if anyone else has the problem I have - my mirrors tend to stayed "dimmed" most of the time. I was under the impression that they should only dim when they sensed "too much" light from headlights. Mine are dimmed even during the day. In my old Blazer, the rear-view mirror never dimmed since the headlights were filtered through the tinted rear window. I'm wondering if it's a faulty light sensor.

Thanks for the input.

-Jason
  • Options
    c2h60:

My mirrors seem to dim only when I expect them to dim. That is, they typically never dim during daylight.

Check the windshield side (backside) of the inside mirror for obstructions over the forward-looking light sensor. Especially make sure that the cable(s) for OnStar, Rainsense, etc. aren't covering or partially covering the sensor.

Other than that, you may just have a faulty sensor.
  • Options
    boz151boz151 Member Posts: 11
    John,
    We just purchased a 2002 Bravada about 2 weeks ago and love it. Main reason for buying was the warranty as we had settled on the TB LTZ but a friend pointed out the warranty. And the invoice price difference between the 3 models was only about $800 with the options we wanted. The sales experience was good. Everyone was very helpful, and we paid about $350 over invoice. We got the Jewelcoat Red, Bose, Convenience and Lux package, heated seats and sunroof.

I think the only issue we may have is the mirror issue which I will address with the dealer shortly. Just snowed here in NJ too, and it handles great. My wife drives it most often.

Good Luck.
    Boz
  • Options
    Gary,
    Curious about this.. what was the positioning of the crossbars on the luggage carrier? The owners manual states (and several here can attest) that moving the front cross bar over the rear part of the back doors will reduce wind noise from above. Other than that, check for loose fitting rubber door moldings. The rear passenger side on my Envoy was practically coming off in spots and the dealership ended up regluing it in place, which solved my problem.
  • Options
    vplazavplaza Member Posts: 47
    pepper50, sorry for the delay in answering your question.

The problem I am referring to is the paint on the rear hatch around the plastic moulding piece that surrounds the area where the license plate is located. (Whew) If you look where the plastic meets the paint, you'll find that the paint is actually being scraped off the car!

It's easiest to see on dark colored vehicles because you can easily see the gray under the paint, but it's on ALL ENVOYS that I've seen. While my Envoy was at the lot last time they were "fixing" this problem, I strolled around the lot to look at all the Envoys, and lo-and-behold, EACH ONE had the paint being scraped off by this plastic piece. There was even another Envoy being serviced that I looked at and it also had the problem.

This is an obvious defect in design that they need to fix and I'm surprised that there isn't a recall or TSB or something about this. I'm not sure if it's also on the Trailblazers or Bravadas, so I suggest other owners out there to go out and take a look at that rear hatch to see if the paint is being scraped off by that plastic piece.

The vehicle is at the dealer today for the area GM Representative to look at to see what they'll do for us.