Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    Am I the only that has noticed that you and your job seem to be in different time zones???
  • Options
    gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    I thought i was the only night owl.

Yup, the combination of automatic and city driving will mean lots of wear and tear. Your front discs will go long before the rear drums will. Have them checked on your next service to see how much is left before they need replacing. You really don't have to worry until they start squealing or take a lot longer to stop.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    It's not that late here...I'm an hour behind you, after all. (But I'm also further south, so that means....aw, heck...I can't do the math:)

Okay, next service visit, they check the brakes.
  • Options
    couscous burners and pilafers :)

My hours are pretty flexible. I work whenever they want me to. Seriously, I only work 4 days a week so it's not too bad even though they are sometimes 14 hour days.

I agree with you when you say that the Protege just wasn't me. I enjoy the sound of a high revving engine and the Protege just didn't enjoy it. It was great for stop and go but I am rarely in that situation anyways. Plus a well-maintained SI will command a pretty penny even 6 years down the road.

Jetta-who???? After I get my SI I'll Jetta-round Vocus anyday since his car is an automatic :) And since SI's have been proven bulletproof as far as reliability I'll still enjoy laughing at $400 30,000 mile service.
  • Options
    Just sent you an email.

Yah, for the price difference between Dave Wood Mazda and some of the others, it may certainly be worth the drive to Acton (Newmarket) for the 48,000km service. Yes, I am familiar with the commercial and am actually an OLD HIDE HOUSE addict. I buy all of my leather goods there.

I once bought an air filter from Scarboro Mazda, but that is about the extent of my experience with them. They seem pretty decent though in the service department. You already know my feeling about GYRO Mazda. I was just stunned talking to them today. Maybe it was just the individual, but they seemed to know absolutely nothing about the car. If I didn't already know a little about how they treat their customers, this certainly encouraged me first hand that they are not somewhere anyone should take a car to be serviced.

Anyway, when it's time for the 48,000km service, I'm going to try and get the Dave Wood price from Morningside by telling them i will go there if they don't lower it. In an ironic twist, our Pro was actually from Dave Wood Mazda. They didn't have any black 5spd. 2000 LX Protege's left at Morningside and they had to source it from Dave Wood. We drove to Newmarket to see the car before purchasing.
  • Options
    cause I am laughing too much. Failing that or it is the fresh rasberry and peach frozen Dacquiri's I made for the wife and I tonight. Bless Bacardi. Gift of the gods. :)

Yes Dale, you are right...it most certainly is your kind of town. My humble apologies. The blackhawks do suck though. :)

Zoomzoom,

Yah, the Si should run lots of rings around most Jetta's. I'm curious though, what is the horsepower on the US Si? Is it the 127 horsepower engine or the 160HP? I know that in the US, the EX got the 127HP and the rest of the line-up, LX and DX got the anemic 106HP engine. I can't remember the Si HP number for the US... Here in Canada, the engine was the same throughout the entire Honda line-up. WE got the base 106HP trolling motor from a 4 stroke outboard. :) You had to buy the Si to step up to the 127HP engine and the SiR to get the 160HP. I may be off by a few on my HP numbers as I'm going off memory here.

This is why you hear a lot of Canadians moaning about over priced Honda's. They are still hugely popular, but the SiR was really the only Civic worth the extra coin up here. Hence why i used to own one and loved it dearly.

Anyway, you'll make a killing off the resale and your reliability should still be really good on the 2000's. Honda is taking a beating in reliability though on the post 2000 models....

And then there is the Jetta.....fuelled by hotsauce and most often seen in at Taco Bell. Oh wait, that is really their assembly plant. El Qeiro Taco Bell, Paul? :)
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You all are just having a party in here tonight, aren't you??? :)

ZZ79: Don't fool yourself. If I do the torque brake thing, I can dust an Si off the line. Did that already. That poor boy almost cried when I passed him like a freight car passing a hobo. Also smeared an Integra as well, with my automatic thank you. :)

And as far as scheduled maintenace, the Mazda dealer told me it would have cost me $350 for the 30K service on my 2001 ES. What's another $50, right? Not that bad at all to me. At least I have an engine that loves to rev, and doesn't try to bore its way through the firewall when doing so now. And also, scheduled maintenance will come on your Si one day, it does on all cars. And Honda dealers aren't so cheap. Be careful throwing rocks when you are thinking about buying a glass house...
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Are you guys trying to get to 11,000 posts by the weekend? I think you will make it. ;)

How many oil changes have we had so far? Talk about over-kill, I had my first oil change at 2500 miles and the second at 5400. My Pro now has only 6690 miles on it and in three weeks it will have been a year since I bought it. Lesssee, it will take me about 4 years to get to the 30,000 mile check. Hope my dealer doesn't go broke before I get to that mileage.

Talking about brakes, I baby mine, start slowing way ahead, 400 feet or more, and come to a full stop slowly.

At the rate I drive I will never get 100,000 miles on my Pro before having to stop driving. That would be about 13.75 years!

Anybody want to buy a good little Pro LX in 2014?

fowler3
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    in glass bottles? Then you also wouldn't remember they were delivered to your door, and in the winter they use to freeze pushing the caps off.

Coca Cola was always better if it was a fountain drink because it had more syrup in it than bottle cokes. Another tip: Coca Cola syrup, no carbonated water, is good for babies with upset stomachs, and adults, too. Three teaspoons full should stop the trots.

Some people in the old days didn't have refrigerators and ice was delivered to their homes every other day for their ice boxes. They put a sign in their window which had four numbers on it, each number was the size of the block of ice they wanted. The number on the top was their order.

And I can remember neighbors cooking on iron wood-burning stoves. Chopping wood before breakfast. I don't know why, but biscuits baked in one of those stoves were always better and so were pies.

Meade has been telling Ashu about driving in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. When I was a kid my parents use to go antiquing in the mountains. One place we went to there were two elderly sisters living in a log house. They were big women in their 80's and use to walk three miles to a country store to buy flower for baking, carrying 100 pound sacks on their backs. In one room there was a cardboard box by a bed and in the box a hen setting on eggs. They said having the hen by the bed they didn't have to go out in the snow to get eggs for breakfast.

These women lived so far from city life there was no electricity, not even an ice box. They used oil lamps. Milked a cow for cream for their coffee. No radio. Planted their own food. And they were happy.

We bought two chests from those ladies and I bought a Kentucky flintlock rifle that belonged to their grandfather -- for $10.00. One of those chests is in my bedroom now.

I'm anxious for warm weather to come so I can explore the southern range of the Blue Ridge in North Carolina. The hollows should provide interesting day trips with twisty roads for the Pro to zoom around.

fowler3
  • Options
    browntrout1browntrout1 Member Posts: 72
    Are you sure the guy just didn't have a fake Si badge and the VTEC stickers. There are so many "poseurs" out there in the honda world that it's imposible to tell what's really under the hood unless you actually lift it up.

That being said, a REAL Civic Si (SiR in Canada) 5spd would walk all over an auto Jetta no problem. If both were stick, it would be close. I'll agree for the duration that it takes the VTEC in the Si to kick in for first gear, the Si would fall behind but after that, if the person driving is a good driver and keep the RPMs in the 6000's, then it's no contest. Last gen. Civic Si is the only civic I would consider buying but it's next to impossible to find one at a decent price.
  • Options
    gandalf: You have to post in here every day. You are hilarious.

The SI has the good 160HP engine. I've only been to 30MPH in it so far when I was pulling it down for our techs to look at but the engine is smooth as glass. Slick gear box and that good ole' "H" car driving position.

vocus: According to the March 2002 issue of C&D their Golf 1.8T 5-speed did 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. The curb weight of the Golf 1.8T 5-speed is 2900 lbs ... your Jetta is 250lbs heavier than that car and it is saddled with an automatic. A Civic SI was tested 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. Soooo ... like I said I will "Jetta-round" you anyday. And as far as you saying that you have already beat an SI and an Integra ... so what? I can say that I outran a Z28 but unless the other person actually saw me do it ... it's pointless. It might not have been an SI ... the Integra could've been an automatic and I do hope that your 180HP turbo could outrun a 140HP Integra. Gotta have something to justify paying that much for a Jetta.
    Hey, and if you think about it I am only paying $11,000 for the SI .... if I add a supercharger I will be making 200HP at the wheels for only $3,000. Even with that I would still be paying $10,000 LESS than you are with your Jetta and my car will definitely be worth more in 4 years with better reliability.

As far as maitenance costs I do remember that my 99 Accord was $240 for it's 30,000 service. My Civic couldn't be much more than that. I've saved another $150 more than you already :)

So does anyone have a rock they can pass me?? :)

browntrout: Like I have said before I am getting this SI for $11,000. I've wanted one for a while but they are still going for $15,000-$17,000 if they are in good condition with good miles and when they were new you had to pay sticker for one IF you could find one. This is a deal I can't pass up. And I do agree that the 96-00 Civic is more endearing than the 01+ Civics. They just have more character IMHO.

To keep this on topic...are there any accessories anybody needs off of a Protege before I trade mine in?? And does anybody need a set of almost-new 5-lug 17" Konig Tantrums??
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I have a deal for you, Paul. I will stop "bashing" your Jetta, the amount you paid for it, and the amount you pay for service -- in short, I will stop mentioning your car altogether -- if you will stop bringing up its heated seats, free car washes and waxes, automatic unlocking system, dashboard rattles and turbocharger here on the PROTEGE topic.

It's time we all got back on the subject of Proteges, I think. There are Protege vs. Civic discussions and Protege vs. Jetta discussions for those who want to compare the two vehicles.

Deal? Thanks.

Meade
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    What type of accessories?
  • Options
    Why the sudden backlash against Paul and green cars? There's nothing wrong with a little friendly debate.

Dinu
  • Options
    What mind would that have been? ;-)

Love Train and I have talked on the phone -- been setting up plans for MAPP III (Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic III -- We're Still Doing What We Did Last Summer). ;-)

To answer your question, Larry's gotten really busy at work lately. Busy season, I guess. He told me to convey to everyone that he will stop in from time to time, but he's very busy this spring. Nothing against us -- but some of us, evidently, have to work for a living!!!

Cheers,

Meade

P.S. Well, some here evidently are not taking it as friendly debate and have requested that it stop. I am complying with this request.

Interesting, Pat ... Now my attempt to stop the debate has drawn the ire of a member who's seeing it as an insult to Paul. I just can't win!
  • Options
    MAPP III will be held at a state park in northern Virginia, and the date I'm currently leaning toward is Saturday, May 18.

To those of you who live in the Mid-Atlantic and would like to get together for a day's picnicking and showing off our cars, puh-lease consider this date and respond to me ASAP! I need to lock down a picnic shelter and some other things!

MAPP III will have food, beverages, and even door prizes! We had about 20 people and more than a dozen Proteges of all generations at MAPP II last October. Please let me know your thoughts, either here or on the Yahoo! group!

Thanks, and let's make this one even bigger than MAPP II!

Meade
  • Options
    Well??? Some of us won't be able to get any work done until we know...

What kind of loaner car did you get yesterday???
  • Options
    We shouldn't be allowed to bring up yucky DODGE STRATUSES (Strata? Strati?) either.

In compliance with the wishes of the Edmunds Directorate, I will refrain from going off-topic here. I will post a review of the car on the Yahoo! group, where democracy still shines like a beacon through the dark, stormy night.

Give me an hour or so.

Meade
  • Options
    The SI will DEFINITELY get tint and some nice rims once I get my use out of the factory Michelins. And you're right .. the gaudy pilaf-burner style just isn't for me. As for the accessories....I figure I might make more money off the Protege by parting it out. You want seats? headlights? wheels? mudguards? It's all up for sale :)

Debate is what keeps this board interesting. If not for the occasional off-topic debate this board would be boring with talk of only Proteges and what kind of tires to put on them :)
  • Options
    I had a yucky DS for TEN DAYS last spring.

You have my sympathies.
  • Options
    You bring up tires and I may be forced to talk about disc vs. drum brakes again.

(A dark cloud forms over the discussion ...)

JUST KIDDING!!!

Meade
  • Options
    I grabbed my 2000 Protege manual and brought it to work this morning. I was sort of wrong and sort of right. It DOES recommend replacing the oil filter and oil at the same 7,500-mile interval, but read this and see if it isn't slightly confusing ...

-------------------------

Changing Engine Oil

1. Warm up the engine for a few minutes and turn it off. Remove the oil-filler cap.

2. Remove the drain plug and drain the oil into a suitable container.

3. Replace the plug tightly after the oil has thoroughly drained.

4. Fill the engine with new oil to the F mark on the dipstick.

5. Securely replace the oil-filler cap.

6. Start the engine and inspect around the drain plug for leaks.

7. Turn it off and wait 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan.

Check the oil level and fill to the F mark if necessary.

Seem like they left something out?

Interestingly, in another column, there's the following instruction:

Changing oil filter

Because you need a special tool to retighten the filter, an Authorized Mazda Dealer should do the work.

If Mazda is going to assert that the oil filter must be installed by an "Authorized Mazda Dealer," then shouldn't they just have made matters simpler and recommend bringing the car to the dealer for oil changes in general? Is it not confusing to state in the maintenance schedule that both should be changed at the same time, and then, five pages later, show how to change them separately?

Meade
  • Options
    Try this.... this is a picture of the wheels when they were still on my 01 V6. Darn, do I miss looking at that car in my driveway....

http://www.pixhost.com/pixs/screaminz/img18.jpg

• Options
    They look a little like the wheels that used to come on the Acura NSX (from the pic anyway). Thanks for the pic.

And that Integra was a 142hp one, but I think it had mods (covered in stickers). We were up to like 90 mph, and he either lost power or nerve (I don't know which one), but I beat. With the Si, the sticker said Si on the car, but it might not have been I don't know.
  • Options
    What fun would talking all about Protege be? Cindy's right, we could go back to tires and disc brakes (gag), or stay on the current topic of oil (double gag) forever. Variety is the spice of life. :)
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Did somebody say disc vs. drum? That was enough to wake me up!
  • Options
    Don't tell us you're at work already??
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I won't tell you that I've been here since 6:30.
  • Options
    No, maltb, we didn't. I swear ... no one said ANYTHING about brakes -- heck, we haven't even mentioned anything about any part of a car anywhere NEAR the axles or wheels this morning. Nope, no sir. Talking about bumpers, we have. Front bumpers. Nowhere near brakes. Just bumpers. Actually, bugs on bumpers. Yeah -- that's it. Little squashed bugs on your bumpers. And how their little wings are still flappin' in the breeze, but the rest of 'em is all yellow and icky. Nope, no brakes here. Just bugs. Lots of 'em.
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliment. I think you're kinda swell too. :)

Good to know you are getting the 160HP Honda engine. I don't know why they only offer that as an SiR here in Canada. It is a SWEET engine. One of the best on the market and one of the best I have ever had the pleasure to drive. The clutch and shifter synchro is also flawlessly matched. I wish the WRX was as smooth. I don't think you'll have too many problems "jetta"isoning too many turbo VW's. Just keep it up near 7,000rpm and you should be fine. The Turbo Burrito would fall apart by that point. :) At least the whiny little Jeeeeeta turbo's do that against the REX. :)

Okay, that was my off-topic post of the day.

Hey, how much are you asking for the tantrums? And a question....has anyone heard of 17" rims and wheels on the Pro? Would they even fit?
  • Options
    Yes, I remember the owner's manual references the "special tool" required to change the filter's out. I could be very bad here with a definition of that, but i won't.... Then again, I have known a few mechanics that could be deemed "special", and they certainly were the biggest tools I'd ever dealt with.... :)

Amazing how they specifically left out the oil filter in the step by step...
  • Options
    Speaking as a professional in this area (schoolteacher), I can't tell you how many times when, after breaking up a fight in which two kids were in serious danger of heading for the emergency room, we find out that the whole thing started with: "We were just playing!"

"We were just playing, and then he hit me really hard, so I hit him back, and then he hit me in the face, and I..."

"We were just playing, and he said something about my mother, and so I said his sister was ugly, and he..."

Escalation is the issue. And I'm not saying that any one party here is guilty of it anymore than anyone else. I honestly haven't been keeping track.

Also, I believe that we can get stuck on it for too long, when it could honestly be discussed in a different forum, such as Jetta vs. Protege.

Cindy (and others) have a point, though...does get a tad tedious talking about one car exclusively.

But it gets just as tedious listening to the same arguments made ad nauseum, whether it be oil changes, brakes, My Car is Better Than Yours, etc.

And now I'll be quiet, because I'm not making any sense.

Do you have any leftover Bacardi, Gandalf?
  • Options
    I actually only drink beer and wine normally, but the wife and I are addicted to making frozen various fresh fruit dacquiri's and the odd Margarita. They are just too good and not all sugary like the crap you typically get in pubs and bars. Makes us pine for summer.....ahhh, summer....windows down, car's waxed, shiny, loud music blaring, the gutteral, evisceral engine growl over 5,000rpm and nothing but empty winding road....Heaven. :)
  • Options
    "I have known a few mechanics that could be deemed "special", and they certainly were the biggest tools I'd ever dealt with.... :)" Is there something we should know about you Tim? Maybe you should have gotten a Jetta :)

Dinu
  • Options
    Yes, 17-inch wheels will fit on the Protege. They come on the MP3 as standard actually.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Is this what Mazda calls somebodies hand? That's gross!
  • Options
    What was the stupidest thing you ever did in your car?

I'll start.

Back in college, I was a commuter student (lived at home and commuted to school every day since school was in-town). However, I had a survey research job in the Political Science Department. I made quite a few friends and one night two of us got together for a little drinking at his apartment on the 15th floor of this building downtown.

He brought the Coke and Doritos, and I brought the 1.75-liter bottle of Jim Beam. You know, the one with the HANDLE? (Keep in mind there were only TWO of us.)

We sat on his balcony in the heat of the muggy summer evening and downed that ENTIRE bottle in about three hours -- making it about midnight.

I woke up (sick, of course) at about 4 a.m. I was home. In my bedroom. After taking care of a little business on my knees in the bathroom, I stumbled my way to the kitchen and looked in the driveway. My car was there. Somehow, my friends, I drove myself the 15 miles home from his downtown apartment to my dad's house in the suburbs -- and to this day I don't remember doing it.

Meade
  • Options
    The dumbest thing I ever did was similar.

I went out on a Friday night partying with friends when I was like 20 or something (I never got carded). I was awoken at home in bed the next day by my mother, who was looking for her car (we shared a 1994 Bonneville at the time). I was like, "what car?". She was HOT! My head was pounding, she was screaming at me, and it was just a mess. I finally did find the car like 40 minutes later. It was in the block up from my house (I live in the city in a rownhouse), parked there, halfway on the curb, with all the windows down and all the doors unlocked. The inside of the car still stunk from liquor (though none was spilled though). And when I did turn on the car, the radio was as loud as it could go. I don't remember to this day how that car got there. Coincidentially, that was the LAST time I drank and drove (and the last time I drove, period, for a MONTH!).
  • Options
    Well besides THAT stuff(which was in the previous black car), after I got the PRO I read in the manual that there is a fluorescent emergency release handle in the trunk if you ever locked yourself in it. So I went and locked myself in the trunk, pulled the release and voila! my experiment was done. Pretty stupid considering I did this when I was 20, just a few months ago.

Outside of that I tasted soap and shampoo and can confirm that I prefer shampoo. Soap tastes really bad, while shampoo had a minor side-effect: I kept making bubbles while talking up to 30 minutes after it.

Dinu
    (Your "experimenting" PRO buddy)
  • Options
    What? What? What?
  • Options
    this morning while dropping her off at work. I'm telecommuting today and since it snowed last night and there's tons of slush and salt on the road, I didn't want to take the WRX. Felt kind of weird driving in the slippery stuff as I'm not used to driving the Pro with just FWD. Man, the stiff suspesion on the Pro and the torque going to those front wheels, certainly makes it interesting. Not the best snow car in the world. Then again, she doesn't have snow tires on it. There, that was on topic right?
  • Options
    Came back from work at 10Pm last nite. I have the Poortenzas on it. That torque doesn't help in snow at all (I barely got going from a light. A RWD Infinity besides me was also struggling, but he paid $40.000 more than me), but man is it fun when it's dry. I found myself downshifting and turning the O/D off while exiting the highway (helps a lot), then D>D2(sometimes to D1) on city streets, without touching the brakes. No hubcap-breaking mishaps this time.

At least the new car will be 5spd, so I'll have more control. Speaking of which, what do you think of the Nissan NX 1600/2000, except that it has an ugly front?

Dinu
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Fluorescent usually means glows when light is constantly striking it. Usually refers to bright colors (green, yellow, orange). The effect is usually accomplished by pigments that absorb UV and re-emit in blue or near-UV. Makes colors "brighter."

Phosphorescent means the material stores some energy provided by light striking it and releases it over time. Usually they look slighty green or yellow, but not very "fluorescent" in daylight. Phosphorus is typically an ingredient, with other elements added to change the color of light released (barium, cadmium, strontium...lots of nasty iums).
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Ate there about two years ago. Cramped little place, but good food! Then ate at one here in Colorado. Didn't realize it was a chain - kept looking at the picture on the menu saying, boy that looks familiar.

Does anyone else really hate the dealer stickers, plate frames, plate inserts, etc., that dealers are always sticking on cars they sell? I think that's really tacky. After spending so much money on one of their cars, including fees that are supposed to cover advertising, there is no way I'm going to let them get more advertising out of me for free. Besides, they look bad IMO. Just thinking of this the other day as I stripped a dealer sticker, two dealer plate frames and two dealer plate inserts off my new Pro. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    I didn't have one of those on any of my last three cars, including the one I have now. I told them before I bought the car that I was not a rolling advertisement and I wanted all the dealer names removed. I got it all taken off but they did stick the plate frame on the back of my VW.
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I don't have any either, any more. Stripped the car of all 5 and threw them all away. Take that, Mr. Dealer.
  • Options
    Disclaimer: The word "crack" is not being used in its usual sense.

Mazdafun: Thanx for the refresher. I had them mixed up.

Tim: Haven't seen that one, but the sushi joke was great! I'm laughing from it now.

MaltB: That was funny! You know what I;m talking about, about a page back I think.

Meade: Good thing you asked Paul to be precise on that one. After all, today hasn't been kind to Jetta owners :)

Dinu
  • Options
    Paul, I'm crying. You really hurt my feelings. I think I don't want to meet you at that little bar ever again ....

Tim -- I've heard of Bombardier, yes! And I know something else they manufacture, something I bet you weren't aware of! Hint ... one of my favorite places is Walt Disney World ...

Meade
  • Options
    For the record ... I did NOT make any negative Jetta remarks today!

Meade
  • Options
    You're right you didn't. Why do you feel like you did Meade? Did I imply that?

The truth is I did (well a little, mentionning that "survey").

Dinu