Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• Options
    necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    sweetjeldorado: OMG. I think I'm in love. I need racing decals on my CTS. And a dual exhaust? Where can I get a dual exhaust. I want a dual exhaust! I'm giving Mark LaNeve a call today.

ajvdh: Thanks, I'll give 'em a call. If you get seven runs this time, I think I'll be willing to pony up the cash for a BMWCCA membership. :)

richw5: No prob. I do it all the time.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The CTS does not come with dual exhausts??
  • Options
    Nope. I think that thre is the setup for one up to the cat, but cat-back, it's a single.
  • Options
    That's disappointing. The LS has true dual exhausts - starting at the manifold. Two cats, two mufflers. Word is the 2003 LS exhaust has been opened up such that adding an aftermarket cat back system will not add any more power. On the current models it's good for another 12 RWHP (including intake modifications). The LS owner's club got magnaflow to make a system specially for the LS. So far I think we've sold over 30. The club is the distributor and the cost is about $200 less than street price. If you can get enough CTS owners you might do the same. Borla also makes a nice system but some people didn't like the sound.
  • Options
    I agree that it's disappointing. I'd love to buy a Borla, because I'm looking for more of "that sound" and also because they tend to be a bit cheaper than some. The SS single-tip for the CTS I saw was over $1000. I believe that Lund Cadillac in AZ does a custom dual for the CTS, but I haven't called them, yet. I have no desire to spend $2000 buying an exhaust system from a dealer. If I decide I want one enough, I may have to figure out the required back-pressure and such and have an exhaust shop build one for me. I have hopes that the aftermarket will come through eventually, though.
  • Options
    Street price on the magnaflows is around $750-$800. Club price is significantly lower. Don't remember the Borla price but it was around the same. Can't understand what you would get for $1K or $2K unless it also added dual cats and polished tips. Even then it sounds steep.

Or you could put lots of stickers on it. I hear each small sticker adds 3-4 hp and the really big stickers can add as much as 50 hp!!!! :-)
  • Options
    sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    http://www.wieck.com/public

Click on: "Click here to view all the latest images" down below and in the search box, type "CTS" and it gives you some more pictures of the race car.

J "CaddyLac"

• Options
    calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    eeehaw ... you should get at least a plaque or something for being the first to venture. Now I think I caught the bug. Checked NorCal SCCA. They have a track at Willows, CA near Sacramento (about 100 mi. from SF-Oakland area) and they offer Solo2 events amongst others. Looks like some requirements, like a helmet, must be met. Was there anything special you had to do to qualify yourself or your CTS?

Check out this addr for Vogue Tyres dual exhaust kit:

http://vogue-tyre.com/whatsnew/vtxi-exhaust.html

No hard performance data on the site that I could find and is stated as cat-back type.

...and thanks for posting all the extra pics!

• Options
    mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I saw a recent news item that said September sales were so far down (12%, I think) that GM is going to offer 0% for 60 months "on most cars." The current incentive, through October, applies to all '03s, is 05 for 48 mos., 2.9% for 48 mos., 3.9% for 60 mos. Will the new incentive apply to the CTS? I think Ford is going to do the same.
  • Options
    You have to have a Snell 90 or newer helmet. Some loaners are available, but in my area they seem to go pretty fast. Otherwise, they check for loose wheel bearings, sufficient tire tread, no leaking fluids, that sort of thing. No checks that a reasonably well-maintained car couldn't pass. There are other requirements of allowable modifications and safety equipment required outside of the stock categories, but if you run in a stock class, the above are the only requirements.
  • Options
    sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    GM has already said that the new incentives will not apply for Corvettes and all Cadillacs. Well, at least I got 3.9% for my car for 60 months, which was better than the bank was going to give me.

T-minus 2 days to my CTS delivery. Woohoo!
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    3.9% for 60 months is very fair.
  • Options
    baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    ...of reduced dealer inventory. You simply cannot sell what you do not have.
  • Options
    shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    Here is a list of the problems CTS owners have reported on this board during the first six months of ownership experience. I will present the general symptoms reported and then a reference to the message number in this forum where the problem was reported.

A. Assembly problems:
    1. Kinked fuel filler hose made filling of gas tank difficult. #678, #364, #684
    2. Water leaks, mis-installed cowl, wet headliner. #279, #678
    3. Disconnected rear door handle #685
    4. Headlight seal problem #364

B. Problems reported by more than one owner:
    1. Battery failure / Electrical problems #863, #553
    2. Analog clock not in sync with digital clock #270, #???
    3. Air Conditioner creating water puddle under driver’s seat #282. Note that a TSB 02-01-37-003 has been released on this problem.
    4. Key Fob will only unlock door from a few feet away. #225, #270
    5. Radio sound cutout or amplifier problem #685, #370

C. Major one-time failures
    1. Scored cylinder required engine replacement #795
    2. Coolant leak coming from a cracked head. (I printed this one out but can’t find the message again)

D. One-time problems – less major
    1. Manual transmission 5th gear whine. #678 (TSB probably coming)
    2. Recurring steering wheel vibration #747
    3. Parking brake engagement problem #678
    4. Stability false alarms #685
    5. Dash rattle #678

I hope I haven’t miscategorized anyone’s problem. Feel free to correct me if I did.
  • Options
    typeamantypeaman Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for adding up the problems. I guess I'm glad I am the only one to have complete engine failure!(#795) I should get my car back soon. They have had it for about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    As reported by Kenn Peters...Auto Notebook !
    Ouote: The CTS has Caddys new edgy styling,
    but it also has pulse quickening performance
    and precise handling.
    And some of you LUCKY guys have one in your
    driveway to play with ! But my 02 Deville
    is fine!...................geo
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    That is an incredibly short list of problems.
    It is interesting that there have been so few problems considering that the engine and both transmissions are sourced in Europe.

PS.
    Weren't there some nav problems, or was that user problems?
  • Options
    I agree this is a small list for six months experience. Note also there was not a single complaint on fit/finish. Note that kudos for handling are also unanimous. Also not a single complaint on automatic transmission.
  • Options
    fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    GM has released some info on new powertrains. The 3.6 liter CTS engine may have 255 hp and 250 ft-lbs of torque - numbers are labeled preliminary. The torque is significantly better than the current engine.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    The current Motor Trend has a article about the Lund CTS. Probably not worth the money but the black and silver paint looks sweet. The 20-in. wheels also looks nice. Performance improvments are not all that impressive.

Where did you get the powertrain info?
  • Options
    fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    From GM's media online web site. There is a press kit too, which has a bit more info. The target power appears to be: 260 HP@6500 and 250 ft-lbs@2800.
  • Options
    cadillac1cadillac1 Member Posts: 51
    Cadillac will also build a V-12, some DOHC V6's, and some OHC V-6's.

http://209.61.155.43/news/releases/021004_powertrain.html

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    ....characterize a skewed population of CTS owners reporting on THIS board, of having any statistical significance, or of being representative of the (CTS) marque's reliability.
  • Options
    wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Do you also post on plowsite? I thought i saw your name.
  • Options
    It is probably pretty good from an anecodotal and statistical owner experience.
    I can think back over 3 years ago when just about every owner Olds Intrigue owner was having problems with warped brakes and intermediate steering shafts.
    That goes for Impalas, malibus, Devilles,etc.
    If there is a problem with a car you will here about it here first.
    I don't think anyone would argue with that.
    All an owner or potential owner has to do is go back a couple of hundred posts to determine what is most likely to break.
    Pretty powerful stuff.
  • Options
    Possibly a production record.
    1407 CTS's this week.
    5505 in one month.

Won't be too long before we'll be seeing lots of rebates if they keep this up.
  • Options
    tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    Is it even possible to compare a CTS to a Grand Prix GTP?
  • Options
    tcolbergtcolberg Member Posts: 3
    Even though we've heard a great deal of praise for the Getrag manual transmission in the CTS from Edmunds and other reviewers, I was wondering how many of you guys own automatic transmissions? What do you like/dislike about it and what made you choose it over a manual?
  • Options
    Yea thats me !....The annual BBQ is this
    weekend in Poughkeepsie. You going ? I
    will be there. Hard choice tho drive truck
    or new Deville. Its good to put faces to
    the names ! Whats your handle there?....geo
  • Options
    Has anyone else encountered this weird problem on their CTS? It's not on the list of complaints, above, so I assume it has not been reported.

I've only had to refuel my new CTS four times so far, but each time I had a problem in getting the auto-shutoff nozzles to keep open. I have to hold the lever so fuel enters VERY slowly, and even then it often shuts off. It's impossible to use the auto-shutoff feature. Takes forever to refuel the car.

Yesterday it seemed as if the gas pump "thought" I was trying to top off the tank, because I constantly had to restart the fuel flow, and it totally shut down. I went to another pump and restarted the process, put in my credit card again, etc. Finally, after experimenting with the position of the nozzle, I got it to work by inserting it totally upside down, with the off-on lever on top!

Could there be a kink in the tube to the fuel tank, or something else causing back pressure?
  • Options
    I just reread the list of defects. Guess I overlooked this one:

1. Kinked fuel filler hose made filling of gas tank difficult. #678, #364, #684

Add me to the list.
  • Options
    I really wanted a manual transmission, having traded a Mazda MX-3 with a stick. My concern with a manual Cadillac was resale value. I believe the vast majority of used Cadillac buyers expect an automatic transmission. Although the automatic is excellent at all speeds I still kinda wish I had gotten the stick.
  • Options
    I'm glad you found your problem. That is why I compiled the list. I think it is a fairly simple problem for the dealer to fix but perhaps someone who previously had the problem can comment.
  • Options
    Thanks. I suggest you keep the list updated from time to time and repost it occasionally. It was very helpful.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    I have 9,000 miles on my CTS and have had that problem only once, (and I have filled up in stations from L.A. to Chicago and back.) I had to use the slowest fill notch on the handle, it took about 10 minutes to fill, and then it failed to shut off and I had a small overflow.

I assumed it was a problem with the pump, as I had the same problem years ago with another car. The station attendant said the problem was a clogged filter in the pump that needed to be replaced.

I will have to watch this in the future. Good luck with your car.
  • Options
    Well, I waited until I had 1000 miles on the odometer before expressing an opinion about my LuxSport CTS, so here goes:

First, it’s a pleasure to drive on smooth roads, handles beautifully, and I love the size, especially after driving a full-sized leased Chrysler LHS (on which I spent not a penny on repairs over three years), but the LHS had a huge trunk, while the CTS has a small trunk with a small, inconvenient opening. I compared the Sport and non-Sport packages and got the Sport because I wanted StabiliTrack and the load leveler, but I felt during my test drives, and feel now, that the Sport ride is very harsh. It transmits every bump and ripple on the roadway. I think I would make the same decision again, but be aware there is a price to pay for the LuxSport features. I think StabiliTrack should be available in both Lux packages. I hadn’t realized how much I was enjoying the road-feel and tight steering until I drove the LHS back to the dealer to return it. My leases overlapped by about 10 days, which gave me a chance to compare the two. The LHS steering gives absolutely no feedback, but with nothing to compare it to, I really wasn’t conscious of what I was missing.

As to styling and quality, I happen to love the car’s looks, but that’s a personal preference. If you like it, great. If you, don’t like it, don’t buy it. I keep reading about the inferior quality of the interior. All I can say it that it seems to me to be made of quality materials. I recently rode in a Lexus 450 (I think it was) and the overall feel of the interior was “old fashioned.” The CTS interior is consistent with the style of the car, and I like the overall feel. The “fit and finish,” inside and out, is excellent.

My major criticism of the car is what finally dawned on me: it is not a true luxury car. While it has sophisticated electronics, it is missing many refinements. Power is quite adequate, but just barely. Cadillac will eventually bring it up to where it needs to be, but why not start there? It almost seems that Cadillac/GM suffers from small car schizophrenia. They can’t seem to market a true jewel unless it is a boat. Consider these minor annoyances, which one ought not have to put up with in a “luxury car”:

1. No telescoping steering wheel, not even as an available option, only vertical adjustment, and not a very fine adjustment, at that.

2. No adjustable lumbar support.

3. NO lockable compartment with a valet key. The trunk is always accessible with the door-mounted release button. I realize the pull-down rear seat backs (which I have) render trunk security worthless, but a Honda I owned with pull-down rear seat backs had locks that secured the seat backs. As my daddy used to say, “locks are made for honest people,” anyone can break in, but there is no place to lock up a few things from prying eyes. The glove box is minuscule, but SOME lockable compartment should be provided.

4. No light in the glove box. Admittedly, it’s very small, but at night without a light it is almost impossible to use. I don’t consider the small size a design flaw, there simply isn’t room for a larger compartment, but no glove box light in a “luxury” car?

5. Only one mechanical lock, on the driver’s door. No lock on the right door or on the trunk. That may be the trend, in view of the ubiquitous remote control, but Caddy is shaving too close to save a few bucks, methinks.

6. The much-written-about clock on the far left as part of the gauges, and no temperature gauge is, IMHO, design incompetence. ‘Nuff said.

7. The cruise control controls at the bottom of the steering wheel, not finger-tip convenient, and the “on indicator” is a too-bright yellow light that is disturbing in night darkness. I prefer the stalk controls. And a separate resume switch.

8. The garage door opener buttons in the visor and the front courtesy light switches have no illumination; a faint illuminated “telltale” in the buttons would be welcome. Hard to find in darkness.

9. The instrument panel dimmer is a sliding switch in the roof console, neither conveniently located nor easy to make fine adjustments. Speaking of instrument panel lights, there are times during the day, and at dusk, before the headlights come on, when I like a lighted instrument panel display. The only way I can find to get it, without turning on the headlights, is to switch on the fog lights.

10. No sun visor extension to block the low sun from the left rear. It’s already been an annoyance two or three times. A luxury car should have them.

11. Trip odometers are on the radio display panel, rather than near the speedometer and odometer, where they logically belong, and have to be accessed by stepping through all the display items, one by one.

12. No dimmer on the visor mirrors. At night they are too bright and degrade vision. Too much cost-cutting for a luxury car.

It’s interesting (to me, at least) that the free year of OnStar which Cadillac gives for all its cars EXCEPT the CTS, includes two levels of the service, what they call Safe & Sound (basic services) and Directions & Connections (trip routing, restaurant support, etc.) For the CTS they only give a free year of Safe & Sound. That’s a $200 cost differential. They simply will not, or cannot, consider the CTS as a “real” Cadillac. That’s an issue of corporate philosophy, but I thinks it a large part of the reason for the failure of the original Chevy Nova/Seville and the Catera. They’re doing better on the CTS, but can’t seem to go all the way.

Immediate problems in the first few days were (1) a “dead-as-a-doornail” battery after parking all day at work, cause still undetermined but not the battery. Nothing I know of was left on, but I thought there is supposed to be a power cutoff to prevent that. Hasn’t recurred. And (2), a kink in the fuel tank hose that makes it very difficult to refuel. I haven’t taken it in for repair yet, but understand it is an easy fix. (See above for several other “fuel tank hose instances.”)

Notwithstanding the foregoing, some of which I agree are nitpicks, I really like the car, enjoy driving it, and I’m happy I got it. But a true luxury car it’s not.
  • Options
    baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    But the fact remains that the CTS was not conceived as nor was it ever meant to be a luxury car. It was designed as a sport-sedan first and foremost, and will be treated by the corporate structure as such forever. CTS was never, nor will it ever be a luxury car. It is a premium sport-sedan, and that's it.

The reason that CTS does not include a mechanical lock for the trunk and front passenger door is because that reduces the likelihood of theft. If there's only one lock, theoretically, there's only one way into the vehicle. Other Cadillac vehicles do not include front passenger mechanical locks either. And the fact of the matter is, with OnSTAR and a key fob, you're never going to need the mechanical lock in your CTS.
  • Options
    eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    When the battery goes dead in your fob, which will happen eventually... but that's the only time.

I think if you want a true luxury sport sedan, you'll have to wait until the STS comes out... but you'll have to pony up some more bucks for it.

When I get mine, I think I'm going to forego the sport package an look for a base car w/sunroof. I tend to like to keep things simpler (read: less expensive) in a sport sedan (the ol' less is more theory) and there might be a little less ride harshness when I put those big honkin' 20's on it. Plus, the stock 16's will make good wheels for snow tires.
  • Options
    fav002fav002 Member Posts: 25
    Hey mcgreenx -

Great review! Like you, I'm very pleased with my CTS but I'm bothered by the minor annoyances that just shouldn't be there in the market the CTS wants to play in.

For example, I put over 100 miles of commuting on my CTS each day and am helping to keep the mosquito population in control with my windshield. Therefore, during the buggy months, I have to clean my windshield with windex every morning. I like to have the wiper arms up and out of the way when I do this, but the passenger side arms hits the trailing edge of the hood. I've tried to be careful, but inevitably the wiper arms drags against the painted edge of the hood causing the paint to chip off. To me, it's an annoying and stupid design flaw that I live with every day.

-FAV002

My CTS Pictures

• Options
    Don't be silly. The reason they omitted the passenger lock (as have Ford and many other mfrs) is that with almost all cars having keyfobs now it simply isn't necessary and is deleted to save money. Thieves don't use keys.
  • Options
    I am hoping that someone from cadillac is reading these comments.

I also hope that when the "V" Series comes out next year it will not have a harsh ride.
    We have already had a couple of comments about ride firmness on the Sport/Lux and I think Cadillac should take heed.
    With 18" wheels it will ride even firmer.

Are you out there pmdriver?
  • Options
    cartesiocartesio Member Posts: 36
    I'm a little puzzled by your remark that one reason for the failure of the Catera was lack of full OnStar. Both my '98 and 2000 had full OnStar for a full year.

I like the Catera, and I like the CTS. But for the same (or a little less) lease price I have ordered a 2003 Jaguar S-type!

Maybe a CTS when the upgrades are in place...
  • Options
    It was good to read mcgreenx's 1000 mile review. As many of you know, today was the delivery day for my CTS. It's a LuxSport, black with dark pewter interior, all options except the Nav system and engine block heater (don't need that in Atlanta, GA).

The first day out was truly a blast. I spent about an hour driving around the twisty residential streets in Buckhead. I think it's going to take awhile to wipe the stupid grin off my face when I drive this car.

The LuxSport's handling does transmit everything to you, but it's supposed to. In a way, it's like going for the Z06 option for the Corvette. As for the CTS, If you don't like LuxSport, opt for the Lux model. I agree that Cadillac needs to uncouple Stabilitrak from the LuxSport option, or add it as standard equipment to the Lux model.

Other people may find the handling harsh, but so far I'm not one of them. I think this is exactly the kind of ride my wife and I were looking for. Neither of us have previously owned a "fun" car. Of course, this is only one day and about 70 miles. After 1000 miles, I might have a different opinion. The only time today the handling got out of control was a one lane badly paved residential street that really was just a bad driveway.

The styling is boss and turns heads. So far, it's still a pretty unique car in north Atlanta, where the BMW is as plentiful as bison in 1859.

The fit and finish seems to be okay but I have noticed some minor points. Whoever mentioned the lines around the sun visors was correct, but I have a more serious complaint. The mirrors in the sun visors aren't quite centered with the driver or passenger's face. I'm more than a little surprised this happened. And yes, the visor lights need a dimmer for nighttime.

I like the interior materials better than I thought originally. The materials are soft, but they look hard from the hard lines on the door sills. Mcgreenx commented that the CTS isn't a "luxury" vehicle. I'm not sure I'd agree. The interior is more luxurious than the cars of most people on the road. Yeah, it's not the interior of a Lexus ES300, but I'm not sure it's trying to be. I've seen the interiors of BMWs, Acuras, and Infinitis. It may not be as plush as the BMW, but I think it holds its own with the others. The Lexus IS300's interior is trying to accomplish the same thing as the CTS.

The headlight pattern is a little strange. It lights up well but it has an odd line at the top of the throw range. It takes getting used to.

That being said, most of the other interior comments that Mcgreenx stated ring true. The analog clock belongs on a '91 Deville, not a '03 CTS. The car needs a telescoping wheel (this used to be standard on all Caddys years ago). A lockable glove box is an unfortunate omission, as well as a light. Come to think of it, the inside of the hood doesn't have a light either.

I don't mind the cruise control switches. The Homelink buttons do need to be backlit (virtually every other button is).

The trip odometers need to be on the dash. The radio is crowded enough with all the various stuff it does. I like gadgets, but it's going to take me some time to completely decipher it.

No lumbar support is very surprising. That goodness the seat adjusts very well and generally fits me well. But the seats need that feature.

But overall, my wife and I are very happy with our purchase. We haven't stopped smiling all day. The buying experience from the dealer (Capital Cadillac, Atlanta, GA) was actually fun. We'll know more about this car as the miles rack up. I haven't owned such a small car since my 1990 Mazda 626, and of course, my wife's last car, a 1994 Ford Escort. But right now, I'm a very happy camper. Now, back to the owner's manual...
  • Options
    Looking back on what I wrote, I can see why you might have been confused. I was trying to say that Cadillac treats the CTS with less "respect" than ALL of its other cars.

This is what I wrote on that issue: ".....They simply will not, or cannot, consider the CTS as a “real” Cadillac. That’s an issue of corporate philosophy, but I thinks it a large part of the reason for the failure of the original Chevy Nova/Seville and the Catera. They’re doing better on the CTS, but can’t seem to go all the way...."

The OnStar installation in all Cadillacs is, to my knowledge, identical. The difference I was referring to is the "free" year of OnStar service. On the CTS is only the Safe & Sound package, the first tier. On their other cars, Cadillac gives a free year of the second OnStar tier, Direction & Connections, which costs $200 if you want to buy it.

For those of you who commented on the single keylock, what I wrote was: "Only one mechanical lock, on the driver’s door. No lock on the right door or on the trunk. That may be the trend, in view of the ubiquitous remote control, but Caddy is shaving too close to save a few bucks, methinks." I noted the reason is the fact that everyone uses the remote control. But a second lock, on the other side of the car, would be nice. The cars are parked close together in the garage I park in and every once in a while, I have to enter by the passenger door and climb over the console. When my battery went dead (see #863), the remote didn't work and OnStar couldn't have unlocked the door. If the driver's door was blocked, I would have had to wait for the driver of the car next to me to move it (it's a Park and Lock garage). I agree that doesn't happen ofter, but I think Caddy IS trying to position the CTS as a luxury car, and if its full-sized cars have locks on both doors, the CTS should, too.
  • Options
    If you thought my review was too negative, I want to go on record that I REALLY like the CTS, I am delighted I bought/leased it, and I would do so again in a heartbeat. But that doesn't mean I think the car is perfect, I guess no car is, and I was trying to note areas where I think Caddy should make improvements. I don't know how many $$$ it would add to the invoice or MSRP if all of the items I consider shortcomings were included, but other than the telescoping steering wheel, I'll bet it would be $200. Part of the problem is Cadillac's obsession with keeping the barebones car (which my dealer says are rarely bought) under $30K.
  • Options
    I'm with you on the nature and tone of your comments on this car. We may disagree on some details, but the bottom line is that this is a very good car that could be a great car with some tweaks. I think Cadillac has gotten the message on this. They are already upgrading the radio and Nav system in the middle of the model year, changing colors that aren't selling, and interior and engine upgrades are coming.

Regarding the door locks: It does seem to be the trend that passenger door don't get key locks anymore. However the lack of a trunk lock is a bit strange.

Speaking of the engine, the 3.2L engine provides adequate power, but certainly not outstanding power. That was verified by a short drive by my friend who just bought an Infiniti G35. This car will really shine when it gets 255 HP next year with the 3.5L.

Lastly, about the respect the CTS gets inside of Cadillac. I don't know what the opinion was back when the vehicle was introduced, but I think that every dealership understands this car's potential. This vehicle is now Cadillac's second best seller behind the Deville. Since a lot of Deville are sold to Avis and National Car Rental, I'd be really curious to find out how many Devilles are being sold to real people vs. CTS sales numbers.
  • Options
    After reviewing the maintenance schedule of this car, there are two interesting points. First, there doesn't seem to be a recommended oil change mileage but instead they say to pay attention to the oil life indicator. If you don't to that or if the indicator gets reset prematurely, then change the oil at 3000 miles. For my money, I'll just change every 3000 miles.

Second, I noticed that there is no timing belt change information. Does this engine have a timing chain and not a timing belt?
  • Options
    Indeed it does have the dreaded belt.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    The 1000 mile review and 7-foot's comments provide just the information that I seek as I scan hundreds of less worthy postings. Thanks.

I have a Lincoln LS from the first year, and a number of the comments reflect mine a couple of years ago. In fact, it's remarkable how similar many of them are.

Good luck with your cars. I may join you in a few years, if Lincoln continues to shun the manual and Cadillac continues to embrace it.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    I bought a LuxSprt dealer demo w/auto. The deal on the demo was too good to pass. Truth be told, I would have bought one with auto anyway. San Francisco Bay Area is very congested and rowing through the gears becomes too much like work. If I lived outside this area it would have been a different story. Nothing like charging through the wine country or down the coast highway and picking the proper gear yourself. This autotran is probably the best you can get in a car in this price range. It does an excellent job of matching the shift program to my habits at any particular time. If traffic is light and I'm just freeway crusin' (rare), I leave it in standard mode. Most often it's in sport mode. I find that best for fending off dicing rice-rockets and for moron evasion.