Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Transmission Problems

Comments

• timsehtimseh Posts: 24
    If you drive as well as you write, I'm sure that killing the clutch at 8,800 miles wasn't your fault. Don't see how they could have thought it was. You did mention to the dealer that it was under warranty the first time it was replaced, didn't you? Or did you take it somewhere else and get shafted for what should have been a covered repair?
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I have a friend who years ago had a Hyundai Excel whose clutch went out at 70,000 or so miles. He always claimed that the car was trouble free and he didn't have any problems. Well just because he didn't have to pay for the clutch work he didn't consider it a problem and told everyone the car was basically perfect. That reminds of the stories that I am reading about Toyota owners being told by service writers that some of the warranty/non-warranty problems/defects they are having are normal wear and tear and these brain washed people except that and continue with their perceptions of Toyota quality even though they are no better than most automobiles in recent years.
  • I have a 2004 Chevy Aveo and my check engine light constantly comes on. I have taken it back to the dealer time and time again and have been told there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. After a year's battle with the dealer a notice was finally given that in some models of the 2004 Aveo that there was a sensor problem in which the computer was falsely told the engine needed to be checked. The sensor was replaced, but my problem was not fixed. I have taken it back numerous times only to be told: you need more highway miles, you need to drive more, you need to burn off the coating on the spark plugs, you need to vary speeds, or simply that there is nothing wrong. Okay fine, so I drive my car on the highway and I vary my speeds; yet the check engine light still goes on. The last time it went on Wed, I drove it on the highway on Thursday and all around, and the light finally came off on Friday.
    I am very disappointed with the service I have been getting. There is apparently something wrong with my car; yet, I am always treated like I am crazy. My car has become the car that cried check engine. When something seriously wrong actually does happen with the engine; I'm never going to know because the light is always on and the only response I get is to drive it more.
    Yeah, thanks for that.
    I would be concerned. If the check engine light is coming on, then the computer is telling it to. If there's another dealer available to you, you might give them a shot. In either case, I'd ask the service manager to put a "co-pilot" in your car for a few days. That will collect any codes the computer is throwing that may be getting cleared before you get it back into the shop. It's entirely possible that the problem is the computer itself.

It sounds like the service department/person you're taking it to just doesn't want to bother doing anything with it. If you can't get any joy from them, don't hesitate to call GM.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,456
    See if the dealership will let you borrow another gas cap for a week or so....Many check engine lights come on if there is a poorly sealed/loose gas cap...It might explain the random light episodes, especially if the car is running normally.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    First off I doubt if something serious is going wrong with the engine. When the light is on is the time to get the code read to see if it shows anything. On a side note Nissan has been rumored for years to have the light go on around 100,000 just so the owner takes the car into the dealership so they can recommend different services. If you are unhappy with the service I would consult another dealer or independent shop.
  • Can someone please help me. I have all sorts or problems with my 04 aveo. The main issue is I have a automatic and I am having a hard time shifting from park to drive. I can move it around fine after I move it from park. The problem is moving if out of park. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? Has anyone taken it in and had this issue fixed? I am afraid I have damaged the gears and it will cost a lot to fix. I have had such a hard time with this car. I do not advise anyone to get a chevey aveo my warrenty is gone i have 65k miles on the car. I wish my parents would have bought be a Kia at least the warrenty would have lasted. :cry: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Sorry you're having problems.

It sounds like this "may" be an issue with the brake/park interlock. You have to have the brake pedal depressed for the transmission to "unlock" and allow you to shift out of park. It's a safety feature on almost every auto trans made these days.

I don't know about the 04, but I know the new ones have a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I wonder if this would be covered?
  • I just bought a 2004 Aveo a week ago and noticed a similar problem, but I have an extended warranty ontop of the 5 year powertrain warranty. The car has had transmission repairs before, too. But, it also might be me that's doing something wrong. My last car before this one was a 94 Geo Metro and I had it for 12 years, so I have certain "habits" that might need to be broken. One of them might be that I don't push down hard enough on the brakes while shifting from park to drive, so I'm going to work on that before I take it in. Or, I'll wait until the problem is really obvious. I can get it out of park, but it takes forever to go into drive and sometimes it stays in neutral even though the lever is in drive. It could just be a linkage problem in my case.
  • wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    Sounds like you do have a linkage problem -- I've experienced this in another make where I had to carry a small screwdriver to insert in the little access hole near the shifter to release the transmission from Park.

I doubt that stepping too lightly on the brake is a factor at all. Either the interlock is disengaged or not -- it's not on a gradient scale where pressing harder on the brake pedal will produce a better result.

BTW, while I've had my issues with my 04 A/T, no problems at all with the transmission, either in operation or shifting from Park to Drive. It's Japanese-made, the same brand (Aisin) that Toyota uses on their ECHO/Yaris models and probably others.
  • I had a new timing belt put on at 40,000 to avoid any engine problems. At 60,000 miles the car would not start. Took it in to a 5 star Chevy Dealer. I have extended
    warranty. They charged me $100.00 deduction fee. They said they ran a diagnostic on it and number 2 and 4 valves were bad. GM sent someone up to the
    dealership to look at the car, he could not find out why the valves went bad. Then got mean and told me it was my fault bad driving. I have had one ticket in my life
    when I was 17 teen. I am now 53. He said they would repair it but never again. I thanked him for being such a nice man (ha ha) and that he did not know what he was talking about. The clock keeps loosing time they can't seem to fix that.
    The thermostat had to be replaced 3 times which caused the car to overheat. The hatchback handle broke. The heater motor gave out. When I had the valve job done they kept the car for 2 weeks. They called me and said it was ready. It was riding hard as I drove out of their parking lot. I took it for a test drive around the block the car died. They had to tow it back. The guy got testy with me because I asked him if they replaced the plugs. He said if you know so much about cars why
    don't you fix it yourself. I said I would if I could but I don't have the tools for a nissan
    engine and you should have pick that up if you did a diagnostic on it like you said.
    They had the car 29 days plus 18 teen hours just 6 hours to go to lemon law.
    When I got the car back all they did was replace the number 2 plug, 2 weeks to do
    this. The day light driving lights stay on for a while then go out for a while. The engine light is on a lot. So I had to replace all 4 plugs because the car was misfiring when I left the garage. I only get 27 miles in town, 31 on the highway since day number 1. I have always had a chevy car. I will never buy another one,
    I will never go back to this chevy dealer. GM was no help at all. On a 1 to 10 scale, I rate this car a 1. None of the chevy dealers carry the parts you need. One
    time I needed a part and it was 6 hours away. I have vibration since day number 1.
    But they keep telling me I don't. I hate this little car, they made it with parts that
    are hard to find. The heater blower is located inside the car under the glove box I could not believe it. I said I would replace it myself I am sick of them wanting a $100 dollars every time I drive in to a Chevy garage. They said $140.00 out the door. I told them to keep it. I found it on the internet for $37.00 and $15.50 for shipping. I've got to find a different car this one has given me one big headache.
    Never again.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,456
    Amen, brother!

I feel (felt) your pain. I had similar issues with a 2005 hatchback...For example, after the moonroof went out the 2nd time, I was told by the dealer that it must be my fault. So, I know where you are in this issue.

I was always treated like the red-headed stepchild on this car, and I can only guess is that the dealers don't make much cash on the Aveo, so they consider it a "necessary problem" they have to deal with. AVeo's are not pushed at any dealership in my area that I know of...

On the bright side, however, I was able to fix my clock from losing time...in my case, it was a poor grounding issue that was resolved when I had the Rostra cruise control installed. It required the removal of the battery and battery box, and after the cruise was installed and the battery reconnected, my clock kept perfect time from that point onward. However, in your case, I think the clock is the least of your problems...
  • :sick: :mad: :confuse: :lemon: :cry: Bingo. If GM makes it they should back it hassle free. Don't they understand they can loose a lot of business this way. Now by valve cover which is made of PVC
    cracked in a v shape so now I have to worry about them freezing.

Thanks for the email

Yupper1
  • My heater blower is not working properly. I have a new one on the way. Now the
    engine light comes on. So I go to Auto Zone. 3 codes. P0300 engine misfire.
    Po700 transmission control system (MIL Request).
    P0781 1-2 shift. Does anyone understand these codes?

Thank You
    Yupper1 :sick:
  • wave54wave54 Posts: 209
    I aws looking at the list of TSB reports for the 2004 model year and found this:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : AVEO Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    Service Bulletin Num : 070730007 Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number: 10022265
    Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Summary:
    AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE/TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER MAY NOT SHIFT OUT OF PARK (REPLACE BRAKE TRANSAXLE SHIFT INTERLOCK (BTSI) SOLENOID). *KB

Take that bulletin number to your dealer and see if they can help with that problem.

You can look up information on any car at:

NHTSA - Safety Problems and Issues
  • Hi Tmyles2,

Thank You very much for your input. Will put it to good use.

Yupper1 :)
  • Hi Tmyles2,

Thanks for the input. Will put it to good use.

Yupper1 :)
  • I just started having this very issue with my car today. Unless it becomes a lot worse, I will mention it when I take it in for my timing belt change. It's weird because sometimes I can shift it without hardly pressing on the brake, and others, I can press hard on the brake and it won't move.
  • I just wanted to mention to anyone who is having a problem with their car not shifting out of park that there is a little hole in front of their gearshift lever that can correct the problem, temporarily. It should say "brake interlock release" or something like that. Put a key-size object into it and push down while moving the lever while the car is running (make sure your foot is on the brake). You should then be able to move the lever around like normal. It does not damage the transmission, it just releases the lock. But, get the problem fixed as it's not supposed to work this way.

My car, today, would not get out of park and I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it fixed.
  • In the last 5 days my engine light came on . Thanks to tmyles2 - did some checking for me and told me you can look up information on any car at:NHTSA -
    Safety Problems and Issues. This help me with the code P0781 1-2 shift. Serivice Bulletin Num: 070730007. NHTSA Item Num: 10022265. Component: Power Train:Automatic Transmission: Summary: Automatic Transaxle/Transmission shift lever may not shift out of park (Replace Brake Transzaxle shift interlock (BTSI) Solenoid). *KB. I have a 2004 Chevy Aveo Hatchback. My day light running lights go on and off. It is using gas as if it was water. It is riding very rough. It is misfiring. I also found another site: www.diyautotech.com/technical service buklletins/Chevrolet/2004/Aveo. My heater is also acting up. I found : Component Name: 060000 Engine and Engine Cooling
    NHTSA# 01744 Summary: Poor Heating performance/insufficient heat during Low
    ambient temperatures. Component Name: 061000 Engine and Engine coooling engine NHTSA# 050601030 Summary: intermittent misfire cold during deceleration or steady state highway driving with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCS)
    P0300. Component Name: 0610000 Engine and engine cooling: Engine NHTSA# 3064 Summary: Service engine soon light and rough running with diagnostic trouble codes P0700, P1781 and possibly a po300. *TT. Component Name: 061000 Engine and engine cooling Engine NHTSA# 01653 Summary: Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P1781 diagnostix is not in Si Yet. Poor Fuel Economy and/or harsh transmission shifts. Sit Bulletin 1413084. *MN. I can't wait Friday I am going to Lakeshore Transmission and getting a diagnostic done, then taking that and all the recalls (the only recall I ever received was the one about the back seat belts) to the Chevey Dealer. I am going to demand that every recall be
    checked. If I here it is my fault again, I think I will loose it. Then I will have to contact GM which I have done in the past and they were not to helpful. I will get a
    attorney. I hope this was helpful to some of you. Will keep you posted.