Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• Options
    suventhusiastsuventhusiast Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am trying to buy a new 2005 Cay S. I've read the Consumer Reports invoice pricing for the base model, but there are no invoice prices for the options. Does this mean that the dealer pays the same price (MSRP) to the manufacturer for these options? Also, there are is no dealer holdback or national/regional incentives listed. As I've never bought a Porsche before, in this late summer season with the 2006's coming in, what would be a good ballpark price to pay for a basic S, with regard to MSRP and invoice. Thank you very much for your kind advice.
  • Options
    thinking2thinking2 Member Posts: 25
    No, the dealers do not pay MSRP for options. Its more likely that with lower sales figures its just harder to get invoice info on options. In general, you should assume the options invoice price is 15% less than MSRP for that option.

Based on info from Intellichoice, Dealer Holdback on the S is around $1400.

If you read some forums you will hear folks saying you can get your best deal in the Sept-Oct timeframe, though not sure what type of additional incentives if any you would get.

I just bought a v6 Cayenne for 11% off MSRP a couple of weeks ago -- pretty good deal considering there were minimal options on the car.

I would think for an S you should shoot for at least the same % off MSRP -- some would say you can get the car in a couple of months at invoice or better. I'm not sure how accurate that is. Check out the Pricing Paid forum for Cayennes on this site for a "history" of pricing for folks over the past year or so.
  • Options
    stomp32stomp32 Member Posts: 38
    Just received an email from a dealer who wouldn't budge from 7% off an S late in June. He is now offering 10% off any S he has in stock (about 14).

If you read the earlier posts, there are people who are getting 8% off 06's. I am just guessing but dealers would probably consider eleven or twelve percent off pretty easily for 05's. But the longer you wait, the fewer the choices and you might not get the color/options combo you want.

If you are getting just the base S with no options, every dealer probably has at least one in stock (always black/black) and you could get an even better deal.

Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    cayenneadmirercayenneadmirer Member Posts: 1
    I have an interesting, albeit sobering, story of an experience I had yesterday. It’s not a criticism of the Cay S, which I admire and am still going to purchase, but probably rather a novice, lay person’s fault of my own. I have been shopping for a new ’05 Cay S for the last few weeks, hoping to get a good deal on an ’05 since the ’06 are coming in. Over the past year, I’ve read many reviews and have been following the discussion forum threads from time to time. I had been anecdotally aware of some of the problems people were having, including the front tire wasting/front-end misalignment, nav, door lock and other problems. I also recall reading about a hesitation problem. I didn’t think much of this, having driven a 6-cyclinder Jeep Grand Cherokee for the past 10 years. I thought that even if a Cayenne S had a slight hesitation, it would still be light years ahead of my old Jeep. So, I chalked this problem (having only read the headline, and not the complete thread), up to some rich Porsche owners, who are probably used to turbo-charged vehicles, and complain when the S does 0-60 in 6.9 sec instead of 6.8 sec.

Anyway, I went excitedly to my local dealership to test drive the car, after having lusted over it for the past year. After adjusting all the mirrors and becoming acquainted with the various controls, I drove through the dealer parking lot to pull the car onto the street. Unfortunately, this dealership is right in the middle of a broad, busy street with oncoming cars approaching at approx 50 mph. Still, no sweat. There were oncoming cars approaching in the distance, but I was confident in being able to merge, knowing even my old Jeep could pull this off smoothly. I was in automatic transmission, D2. I gently edged the nose of the Cay S onto the road and depressed the accelerator smoothly down…nothing…oncoming cars closer…still nothing, then, after not a hesitation, but a full 1 second, the Cay S jerked forward and up to speed with the tach increasing, nearly avoiding being broad-sided.

A little surprised and a bit unnerved, I chalked this up to the car not being fully warmed up yet, or some other innocuous explanation. I brought this pseudo-stall sensation up to the salesman during the remainder of the test-drive. He said that he had not heard of any hesitation when accelerating, and was “sure” I was inadvertently depressing the brake pedal instead of the accelerator. I’m not that lame! But I let it go so as not to compromise a good deal on the car. When I insisted about this phenomenon, he confidently stated that the Cay S has, 5 different transmission software programs, and the technicians could re-program it to a shifting curve I found more suitable. He also stated that the Cay S has some sort of “artificial intelligence” or “adaptive learning” program which will learn my driving habits over the next 2 weeks and no further hesitation will occur. I am dubious though because how would the car know that when I press the accelerator down, I want to proceed immediately and not in 1 second’s time? The salesperson also mentioned that most Cay S drivers use the tip-tronic, and if I want the convenience of an automatic transmission, why am I buying a Porsche? It is a valid point, and I plan to use the tip-tronic on back country roads on weekends. But in everyday stop-and-go commuting to office and home, with my Starbuck’s, bagel and cel-phone, the tip-tronic may be rather tedious on a daily basis.

Anyway, on the way home from the test drive, there is a freeway off-ramp just next to the car-pool lane which we were traveling in. I had to do a simple merge to get off the freeway. I looked over and the lane was clear with a fast-moving 18-wheel big-rig in the distance. Still, I was confident that even my old Jeep could do this merge. I turned the blinker on, changed lanes, and pushed the accelerator down to give the big-rig ample room. To my utter horror, nothing happened! Looking in the rear-view I could see the 18-wheeler’s driver thinking what the hell is this Cay S doing pulling in front of me and slowing down. One-thousand one, one-thousand two, finally the Cay S engaged and hurtled forward nearly avoiding a rear-end collision. To the big-rig driver’s credit, he did not brake to slow down, knowing it was futile and he would just jack-knife into the rest of the 6 lanes of traffic, creating a mayhem which surely would have been on the evening news.

I’m not an auto-mechanic, but from my humble lay person’s point of view, I don’t think this hesitation is inherent or organic to the transmission. The correct gear is chosen on the display, and rather, it seems like the fuel pump stops pumping gas, or the gas is not being ignited or something, for that one-second of limbo. Interestingly, this phenomenon did not occur all the time. Only those two occasions, during countless other starts, from stop, during the test-drive.

Regardless, I reiterate that my experience is not a criticism of the Cay S, which I really like, but rather my novice fault of not being familiar with the tip-tronic, which I will dutifully learn to drive smoothly. Nevertheless, I strongly feel that there should be a way for the driver to disengage this drive-by-wire delay, when desired. Why is the car trying to guess what I want to do? Why won’t it just do what I tell it to do, with the accelerator? I don’t mind if the steering, or transmission shifting is drive-by-wire, but the accelerator should be purely, unadulterated mechanical mechanism.

All in all, it’s a great car and I’m looking forward to getting one, but I will certainly avoid crossing railroad tracks with my kids onboard!
  • Options
    20072007 Member Posts: 4
    I bought an '05 V-6 Cay in April and STILL have this problem. It is very disturbing to say the least. Now I know that upgrading to the "S" in '06 or '07 when the "refresh" has been implemented does not insure this hesitation :sick: (major understatement) will stop.
    This is my 1st Porsche and I am not very impressed.
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    HI cayenneadmirer:

re-program it to a shifting curve I found more suitable. He also stated that the Cay S has some sort of “artificial intelligence” or “adaptive learning” program which will learn my driving habits over the next 2 weeks and no further hesitation will occur.

yes...some people have had this problem...Your salesman was right. . Cayenne has an adaptive transmission that will learn the driver's driving habits, and adjust the shifting accordingly...so that most of the shifting points will be at that program level that you use/are accustomed to. This saves gas and customizes the driving experience. Some people stomp on the gas...some just like gradual slow starts....

I once drove a 1990 Mercedes 500SEL..when new....and when I first got in and started to pull out of the driveway....NOThing also...then I give it some more gas...still nothing....and then, with even more pressure...the car starts moving...

I think most hesitation problems could be a mixture of driving habit differences, and the need for the tranny to adapt to it...and also the normal pedal pressure that one is used to...which may be diff than that of the cayenne that you happened to be driving. This all goes away...for me at least, when one starts driving and gets used to the cayenne, and the cayenne gets used to you....

This also happens in other cars...and is like the different clutches that one must adpat to when driving a stick shift...

I have had what I would characterize as an opposite problem....When I first got the cayenne T, I would step on the gas...and it would just zoom forward....with fast jerk that would be great for drag racing, but uncomfortable for everyday driving...

I d
  • Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    i wouldn't be too concerned. like highender said. the tranny adjusts to your driving habits/technique so the previous test drives or maybe just moving the CS around the dealer's lot had the tranny thinking it was some old person driving it :D
  • Options
    kuku62kuku62 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the feedback...I just had the running boards installed yesterday....not as narrow as I thought and very esthetically pleasing....really quite attractive rather than after market "nerf bars" as I was considering. The 6 and 9 year olds also appreciate them although there don't quite reach the rear well so you have to step forward and out when existing the back seat. Any one else out there have these installed??
  • Options
    mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    Over the last few weeks I have had 2 Audi's as loaners, both Quattro's one an A4 and the other an A6. Nice cars but both have Tiptronic Transmissions.

Guess what both have the same sort of hesitation as the Cayenne.

I know it varies, if you have the 05 Tranny and the 05 latest issue Tip controller the effect is very much reduced over the 04's.

I have noticed that with the latest updates it no longer reverts to my grandmothers car after a week of commuting and responds as I would expect a Porsche to when needed. It still does have that occasional dead zone (the "I dont know what you are trying to do driver, therefore I am doing nothing " mode)

Still the best SUV on the planet :)
  • Options
    bocabrianbocabrian Member Posts: 17
    Unlike most German/Japanese cars that I have owned, the Cayenne’s steering wheel radio buttons adjusts the radio station, not to the next preset button, but rather to the next station on the dial (i.e., "seek"). Is this something I can change?
  • Options
    stevev968stevev968 Member Posts: 21
    Hi guys,
    My 2005 Cayenne S with 17000 miles started to smoke from under the hood the other day. Inspecting underneath, I found the tray full of power steering oil and it kept leaking badly all over the road. After trucking it to the dealers, they diagnosed it as a power steering pump failure. Hopefully wil be ready in a day or two. Anyone else come across this problem?
    Regards,
    steve
  • Options
    safedriversafedriver Member Posts: 1
    I got a Cay S 2005 bought 4 weeks ago.
    Between a speed of 62-70 miles, I get slight vibration on my steering.
    Took it back to the dealer to have to tyres rebalances, yet same result.
    Finally had a chat with a german engineer at the workshop, and he told me that Porsche is experiencing same problems with all the cars, and that their headoffice is working to solve the problem.
    Has anyone had same problem and got it fixed ? It really is a let down.

Pls I need some solutions
  • Options
    you are the first one that I heard of having this problem....

but there will always be one person with a window, stereo, etc....

I bought a Toyota Previa, and they could not fix a passenger side trim ( rubber)...finally, after numerous tries, I cut it off..

The acura that we got broke the lock switch to control the windows...and the tires are worn out at 10,000 miles....
  • Options
    HI :

I have had my cayenne since april of 2003.......and do NOT have the vibration problem....

I took it all the way up to 110 with zero vibration...just smooth as silk cruising...from 0 to 110.....
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That is very unwise and I would have expected better judgment from a safety conscious driver.

tidester, host
  • Options
    hi tides:

Yes...I admit it was over the speed limit ( understatement ) ;)

this is the same incidence that we already talked about.....you know, at IDLSUVWDY . You have pointed it out already....

It was on a deserted freeway, on a straightaway, with no other vehicle in sight, with good weather....not a car or human in sight....

But you are missing my point , I think. THE vehicle is rock stable for most Cayenne owners..though a small portion of owners do have this problem.....

I remmeber one poster even thanked me for the info about stability.

I provided first hand info to help the discussion .... since at the moment, the Cayenne test drivers, including Harley Haywood, is not online right now.......

I think many drivers here do test their vehicle's performance when safe....though I do admit I should have been on a track.... :blush:
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, High!

test their vehicle when safe

Aside from questions regarding the legality of speeding, did you know that most states have explicit laws forbidding "performance testing" of vehicles on public roads? We do not condone illegal activity and I hope you're not.

tidester, host
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Yup, high... keep that Cayenne Turbo under 65 mph at all times... :surprise:

Did we just drop into some sort of Bizarro world?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stomp32stomp32 Member Posts: 38
    I am absolutely in agreement that all traffic laws should be obeyed at all times.

Like you, I am in the Bay Area but I have never taken any car to that recklessly excessive speed.

So, um.......just where was this deserted freeway, by the way? In the Bay Area, perhaps? I'm just asking so that, you know, I can kinda avoid it so as to not tempt myself when I get the wife's okay for the 997. I wouldn't want to get into a race against someone in his CTT or anything like that......no sir.
  • Options
    Hi guys,
    My car with the power steering pump failure was taken in last Thursday morning. It is now the following Wednesday morning and the car still is not ready.

Whilst I was given a loaner car, I can't believe it takes this long to simply change a pump. Do you guys feel this is acceptable? They didn't even call me, I had to call them.

Whom should I complain to.. the service guys or my sales guy?
    Regards,
    steve
  • Options
    sorry for all the trrouble I caused when I admitted going that fast....

it was on a deserted part of Interstate 5 , going down to LA.....which is normally packed with all sorts of slow and big vehicles.....

but there was a stretch that was straight as an arrow..... ( I think parts of the Interstates are used as backup runways for the airforce, and that may have been part of the system...since it was so long and straight...maybe 5 miles ?

I did not zoom down all the way at high speed....perhaps maybe 3 to 5 seconds was at the triple digit speed ?

sorry , I am humbled....and wrong... :cry:

I accept all your recommendations.... :)
  • Options
    Hi Steve:

I would call the service...and if you also bought it at the same dealership...you can let the salesguy know.

If it still does not get resolved...call 1-800 PORSCHE....

take care... :D
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think parts of the Interstates are used as backup runways for the airforce

Urban legend. :-)

Fork over another Krispy Kreme as penitence. :)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Is indeed a common problem which is created by a number of independant problems which can be fixed.

1 - tire sidewall degredation as they approach end of useful life
    2 - 20 inch wheels out of true
    3 - wrongly balanced tires (Hunter Road Force Balance Required)
    4 - Drive Shaft of early vintage (03 early 04)
    5 - Alignment out of whack

The dealers skill seems to be key here. I had it when new, it took my dealer 4 times and 2 free tires to get it right and its been fine ever since even through tire changes (35K miles now).

The tolerances are very demanbding on the balancing so user error occurs a lot.

Mine is stable to

2x+y+z/2 mph :)

where x= 100, y= 40 and z= 30
  • Options
    quicke question - i've owned a few Pcars and am used to the early tire wear, especially on the rears. My new '05 Cayenne S with 6500 on the clock has a tire issue but not what I expected. The rears are good but the fronts are taking a beating with the R >> L. The outer parts of the tires are down to their wear bars with the R front outer side almost bald. Just got it realligned last week and everything was good. ???

The car is in TX and I hardly get to use it (I haven't seen it since May) but this is the report back from my father who just happened to see it in the garage. I will check the tire pressures next week and guess I will get the tires checked for balance issues but any other thoughts???
  • Options
    Your alignment is off, the dealer should have done it after 4-500 miles.
  • Options
    I just spoke to a airforce pilot....works out of Travis Air Force base....driver of C-5 s and is going to Oaklahoma this week for training on the new C-17s ( which have the new joysticks ) . He said that the freeways are used as last resort backups in the event of emergencies.....

I want a original glazed... :)
  • Options
    HI mudman !!!

How are ya ? Still the info master, as I see...

Mine is stable to

2x+y+z/2 mph

where x= 100, y= 40 and z= 30

LOL.....I guess I should have said that...

OK....my speed is now: X + Y times the measurements of Jennifer Garner - IQ of Saddam < gross of new star wars movie.
  • Options
    Sure I'll give you that, but they weren't designed with that in mind.

Let's just split a dozen and I'll buy the coffee. :-)

No one complaining about gas prices in here? This is one of the few SUV boards I read where gas isn't the big topic. Regular is $2.67 here today in Idaho.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I agree that the Highway transportation engineeers did NOT have landing aircraft on the roadways in mind when designing....

I'll bring the KK....you make sure its good Java that you bring.. :D

I think Gas prices will continue to go up...even after we recouperate from Katrina.

The world wide race to have the American lifestyle is causing a big run on Oil...I saw lots of vehicles....even in the backwaters of China....like Szechuan .

In 1987, when I was testing gas and oil products, we imported gas from China. That was only 2 years after the first official private vehicle was bought. Nowadays...China is importing as much gas as they can....so they can be like us...... :(

Have a great Labor Day weekend ...ya all.. :)

I remember mentioning that China would probably destabilize the world by going after some oil fields...little did I count on them trying to BUY there way into US oil supply by bidding for UNION 76 ( UNOCAL ) !!!
  • Options
    ll9ll9 Member Posts: 1
    I will be leasing a Porsche Cayenne in the next few weeks. Although I have chosen the options I want, I am down to the deciding the color of the vehicle. My choices are silver or black. Any advice with respect to which would be preferable for this vehicle would be appreciated.
  • Options
    I had the dealer fax over my recent allignment paperwork that I had done on 8/16 @ 6150 miles and the allignment was dead on. I have now seen the car and actually the passenger rear tire is nearly toast as well so that's 3 of 4 tires that are gone after 6150 miles :(

My service mgr up here in ATL said that they had a problem with 2003-2004 cayennes burning thru tires but not anything since. Tire pressure is set according to the manual and the wheels are balanced - guess the only thing left is to contact PCNA?

Any thought or suggestions???
  • Options
    Hi guys,
    The dealer ended up fixing it (new power steering pump)... so all ok now.
    Still, it took way longer than it should have..
    Regards,
    Steve
  • Options
    good job steve...I am sure you are glad to get back on the road....
  • Options
    porschedriverporschedriver Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know about a good replacement tire for the Porsche Cayenne with about 18000 miles on it? I have looked at contenintal and perilli any more suggestions?

by the way the cars is an adventure to drive. You get this awesome experience when you're riding or driving it!!!!
  • Options
    encinoomniaencinoomnia Member Posts: 48
    I am looking at cayenne 05, the one I found have 18" turbo wheels.
    I do preffer just 17" original but if it comes with 18" turbo wheel, I'm not sure what to do.
    I'm not too worried about summer but in the winter we get snow, and I sahmely admit that I always used studded tire on my 4wd.
    So, I will get studded tire in the winter again even for Cayenne.

Should I ask the dealer if I can get the original 17" put back on?
    I am also trying to save $ for the winter tire, so I'm thinking 17" might be a lot cheaper to buy in the winter?

Also, inflatable spare tire in Cay is 17"
    is that going to fit on 18"turbo wheel if I happen to have flat tire?

Thanks for any help
    Please help with any suggestion, thanks
  • Options
    rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Go to eBay and look up "Cayenne 17" in the eBay Motors Parts and Accessories section.

You will find 'take offs' there from lots of people who upgraded to bigger wheels. These usually come with the original Dunlop tires as well and the prices are very reasonable. I just did this because I wanted the 19's from the factory for summer use and now I do not have to switch tires each season, I can just change the entire tire and rim each time. Saves lots of time and money.

You'll be getting factory wheels and factory balancing this way. I have found this to be a great option for me.

JR
  • Options
    Lowlandj: Thanks for the good advice, I am still wondering about the inflatable 17"spare tire.... Does it fit 18"turbo wheel if I needed it?
  • Options
    I am sure that the inflatable fits and works, for temporary use, with any other combination they put on the Cayenne. With the tire it's the overall dimensions that make it work or not, so a smaller rim will have a higher side-wall to compensate to make the diameter of the setup the same.

You would not take a cross-country trip on the spare but it will get you to where your going for repairs I'm sure.

Good luck with the hunt for the rims and tires.

JR
  • Options
    petrodogpetrodog Member Posts: 1
    Just had my 2004 Cayenne stolen from my driveway this weekend. The car was not locked but the keys were not in it. The "anti-theft" system with immobilizer apparently doesn't defeat the determined or the professional. We were at home and the driveway lights were on but neither we nor our normally hyperactive border collie heard anything.

Just wondering if others have experienced what appears to be an easy way around the Porsche alarm system.

Scott
  • Options
    If the doors were not locked then likely the motion sensors were not on. Your vehicle may have been towed away and never started at all. Sorry to hear that you suffered the loss of the vehicle and I suspect that it will not re-surface if stolen by 'pros'.

JR
  • Options
    I am coming to end of the two choices,

Titanium Metalic/ black interior
    or
    White/ black interior

Titanium owners, or White owners please help with your input, if you are happy with color etc.

I personally like white one better but since it comes with more options dealer trade etc, it will cost me $2000-5000 more.(for price detail, please look under porche Cay price paid forum)
    Titanium one, I can get it for under $44000.
    Thanx
  • Options
    jimscaysjimscays Member Posts: 41
    I replaced my stock 18inch 4x4 Contact Sport Contis with 255/55HR/18 Michelin Energy MXV4 plus and have been very happy with the Michelins. At 8,000 miles the Contis were howling and at 11,000 has excessive wear so I replaced them then. The Michelins ride smoother, handle almost as well, make no noise, and obviously last much longer( I now have 27,000 miles on my CAY S). The load level is slightly below specs but I do not use my Cay to tow. The tires look great to. They do cost more but you get the money back in wear, and they are all season tires. I highly recomend them, especially if you like a littlew smoother ride on an already great SUV! :shades:
  • Options
    I am about to get 2, I will switch :)
  • Options
    jimscaysjimscays Member Posts: 41
    I think you will like them :shades:
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Titanium, hands down. Porsches are serious cars. Serious cars do not come in white. Have you ever seen a white MB, Jag, Audi, Volvo, Bentley, etc. that looked as good as a dark color? White cars are for people who don't want to wash them and don't want to fix minor dings. (Compare the image projected by the local PD who take a white Crown Vic and put on some decals with, say, the dark blue and grey two tone paint scheme of the Mass State Police or a similar dark scheme of the NY State Police. These guys know what they are doing when they choose a dark color. Its not random.)
  • Options
    2cayornot2cay2cayornot2cay Member Posts: 4
    The dealer where I picked up my 05 Cay supplies Raytel as their aftermarket bluetooth option. Raytel just started supporting the Treo 650, so I am looking to add this option. Is anyone familiar with Raytel? The dealer is charging $1,500 to install the system...
  • Options
    bocabrianbocabrian Member Posts: 17
    I think you should sell, I don’t volatility is good for your psyche

I have 19" Conti Tires/Turbo wheels now. Tread worn quickly. I want to purchase something that does well in the rain (I live in South Florida). Which tire at any size is the best in the rain?

Secondarily, I would like to fill up more of the wheel well and obtain a more low profile, wider tire.

Are my two objectives contradictory/opposing/inconsistent?

Has anyone "upgraded" from 19" to 22"?? Is there any improvement or degradation in performance?? handling, acceleration, mileage, braking??
  • Options
    "Pumped up by sales of the Cayenne SUV and the redesigned 911, the German automaker doles out hefty bonuses to employees."

Porsche Pays Bonuses for Sales Surge (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    hmmoonhmmoon Member Posts: 1
    Bigger rims like 22" would put pressure to your engine/gear regardless of what your dealer may tell you. You can feel uneasiness when you accelerate.
    In addition to that, you would need to have your tires contantly balanced perfectly as it tends to vibrate on high speed even if they are slightly off-balance.
    Ofcourse, all dealership would not agree, but thats what I could tell you from my experience.

I chose 20" rims for my Cayenne S.