Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Accessories

1373839404143»

Comments

• Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    If possible, you want one of the options with no drilling. It just makes the install go faster. If the heaviest thing you are going to hook up is the bike rack, then it doesn't really matter. Most of them have you fish a bolt through part of the frame and have it pop out an existing hole (sometimes you need to enlarge it).
    My '93 Accord and '05 Legacy both have 1 1/4" Hidden Hitch recievers. My 2007 Accord 4dr sedan is likely to soon, as well. Primary duty for each one is a 1 1/4" 4 bike rack.
    The hidden hitch comes with a ball mount. You wont be using any of the ball mounts if you are using a receiver hitch rack.
    U-haul has their own hitch they can install as well, its made by one of the companies mentioned above but I forget which one.
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Thanks for the response. Looking on etrailer.com for the 2007 Accord (http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Honda_Accord.htm ), Draw-tite and hidden hitch do not require drilling so looks like it will be one of those. Hidden Hitch is $20 more, but the draw-tite has the recommended ball joint which is at $20 and if I need that ball joint, then it would end up being the same price.

You say I won't be using any of the ball mounts if I use a "receiver hitch rack." What exactly is a receiver hitch rack versus a non-receiver hitch rack? I had mentioned earlier, I was considering the Allen Deluxe 3 Bike Rack Carrier for 1 1/4" & 2" Hitch (which is $69.97 from walmart) ( http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2072198 ). Is this the kind of hitch that I would not need a ball joint for? $20 isn't too big a deal but just wondering. I'm probably going with the Hidden Hitch just because I see you're using it and the other person I liked in my last post is using it as well
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    You are correct, for that rack you do not need the ball mount. The rack itself has a square end that fits into your 1 1/4" receiver. You only need the "ball mount" and a ball if you are actually going to tow with the hitch vs just sliding in the bike rack.

A couple of other notes - 1. in the ad for that rack, it mentions the arms fold out of the way when not in use. This is a VERY NICE feature. The arms on my rack are rigid, which makes parallel parking or fitting the car in the garage something of a pain in the butt. 2. it is a 1 1/4" and 2" mount together so you can use it on your buddy's SUV or what not that may have a 2" receiver, and 3, it folds out of the way so you can get stuff out of the trunk. This is more of a big deal for hatches and wagons but still nice.

If you ever want to tow a trailer, you also need a $30-50 "t-connector" for the electrical side. That is how you get lights to work on the trailer...it snaps in place and gives you a flat 4 connector for the trailer. There are other systems that make you cut the wires to install it, but the ones that use factory connectors are much easier and cleaner and less likely to cause trouble down the line.
  • Options
    timsmomtimsmom Member Posts: 2
    Do the 2008 Honda Accords have bluetooth?
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I believe the EX-L models with Navigation are the only ones with bluetooth for 2008.
  • Options
    timsmomtimsmom Member Posts: 2
    thanks the graduate!
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    edited August 2010
    Never thanked you for the further help regarding the hitch lilengineer boy. Thank you, still haven't purchased the hitch (or the bike rack I would ultimately use with the hitch)

One quick question - you mentioned:

"A couple of other notes - 1. in the ad for that rack, it mentions the arms fold out of the way when not in use. This is a VERY NICE feature. The arms on my rack are rigid, which makes parallel parking or fitting the car in the garage something of a pain in the butt. 2. it is a 1 1/4" and 2" mount together so you can use it on your buddy's SUV or what not that may have a 2" receiver, and 3, it folds out of the way so you can get stuff out of the trunk. This is more of a big deal for hatches and wagons but still nice. "

Where specifically are these features mentioned in the product description? I looked at the product description for both the draw-tite and the product description for hidden hitch and I saw this on the hidden hitch one:

"Removable drawbars and ball mounts eliminate banged or bruised shins and enhance the appearance when not in use "

Is that what you're talking about?">link title
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    what you described were all features of the bike rack. Nothing to do with the hitch.

the only thing you need to worry about with the hitch is what the receiver size is (1 1/4 or 2"), but as you noted, a lot of racks now work on either size.

I have a Yakima that does all the things you mentioned (swing down, fold up arms, either size receiver) that is very nice, and you do want all those features if possible IMO.

For the hitch, try to get the one (probably the hidden hitch) that tucks up and out of the way the best. some of these hang down really low.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    if you are only using a bike rack, you dont actually need a drawbar or ball mount, although it will probably come with the ball mount (but not the ball). You just wont need to use it

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

This discussion has been closed.