Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I've recently started having the same problem with the front passenger door. If I lock it and then unlock it again it usually works, but sometimes it takes two or three tries. Since it's a different door then yours it's probably not specific to one door, but is a lubrication problem. I'll probably open up the door next weekend and lubricate everything.

I searched the TSB summaries at NHTSA.GOV. There's nothing related to using the remote to unlock passenger doors, although there is one for the tailgate. I know some people have had problems with the tailgate mechanism sticking. Fortunately there's a little access panel on the inside that you can get at it with lubricant.

:)
  • Options
    sterlingmosssterlingmoss Member Posts: 4
    Have you tried fresh batteries?
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    No, I haven't changed the battery in my remote, but at first I was thinking that. So I tried my other two remotes and it doesn't matter. Also, I have no problems locking the doors, just unlocking the driver's side door. But thx for your suggestion.

To theraccoon, Let me know how it goes when you open up the passenger side door and lube everything.
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Are we STILL talking about the fires without any new updates from Honda, All Data and NHTSA?
     -elissa
  • Options
    Mike, Thank you for posting something different! :-) You can find TSBs and recalls at www.alldata.com for a small fee but I think they are also free at the NHTSA website.
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm
    Elissa
  • Options
    autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    Anyone having recurring rattles in thir dashboard. Have had one since the day it was new and Hodna dealer keeps saying they dont hear it..I'm figuring they arent driving it!..frustrating and a waste of time..

Car also pulls to the right and they keep telling me the alignment is in spec..

Anyone have a good reliable dealer in central NJ they can recommend..

or maybe I need a leaky oil change!!!

Thanks
  • Options
    Have you tried fresh batteries?

Since the other doors lock and unlock just fine it's not the batteries in the remote. There's only a single receiver in the 1st Gen CR-V (in the driver's door). The receiver is getting the signal, but the one door isn't unlocking.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    This is response to the buzzing issue listed from the begging of August.

I can tell you that my 1998 Integra had a similar buzzing at speed between 3500 and 4000 RPMS. After taking off each heat shield individually to test, I finally found the issue.

Honda manufactures their exhaust headers with a dual walled design on VTEC and i-VTEC motors. Mainly the design is for cooling the external surface of the exhaust header to keep unwanted heat out of the engine compartment. When/if the inner wall comes loose (a common problem on the Integra) you will get a very annoying buzzing coming from the engine compartment at speed and at certain, specific, RPMS.

If your buzzing noise occurs only after the car is warmed up and starts at let's say 2500 RPMS and dissapates at around 3000-3500 RPMS, you may wish to investigate this possibility with your local mechanic/dealer. It's the likely culprit.

btw - I don't think I listed my previous post as anything but my opinion. Now you may think I'm full of BS, but itemizing where you've lived or stating your opinion on the overall national behavior of the country as you understand it, means little...or little to me anyway. Just tell me you don't agree and move on. Oh, and I disagree with you. : )

jp
  • Options
    Just tell me you don't agree and move on. Oh, and I disagree with you.

I'm glad. If you agreed with me I'd be worried about my own mental state.

JM2C
  • Options
    Maybe you should get out more? heh...
  • Options
    I wasn't sure of a better place to put this question, but has anyone had any issues/problems/concerns related to towing?

I have a landscaping trailer for a few Dad sized toys and was concerned about the class I tow capacity. The trailer itself is about 800 pounds which would put the full load at or near the 1500 lbs. capacity. It's normally attached to my Toy Taco, but in case the family is joining me, I was curious about issues in this area.

If anyone could report on problems they've had...

jp
  • Options
    juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    I just got new CR-V EX. I found it pull hard to the right on my way home from dealership. So I have to send my brand new CR-V for alignment check on Sat. I drop the car in the dealer service dept. at odometer of only 25 miles. It took about 3 hours to get the alignment checked and adjusted. I was told that the TOE was completely out of spec and I requested a copy for before and after alignment results. Then I request service guy to check and do test drive. So I got the car back at odometer of 38 mile. I thought the problem should be taken care of after I was wasted my whole Sat. morning. However, on my way home, the new car still pulls to the right on highway. So I tested today again on some very straight high way and road. It still pulls to the right. The funny thing is even if the road has left wind/turn curve, i.e. right side is slightly high than left side, and I still feel the CR-V move towards to the right. What a shame on the brand new CR-V. I am extremely unhappy about this car. Does any one has similar experience? I do not want to waste my time again and again at service department on this brand new car without knowing whether it can be fixed. It should not happen at the first place. Brand new car should be good our of door to customers.
    I am thinking about Lemon law today. This is terrible experience. I should be happy and enjoy the new car after I bought. I should not suffer my time loss and emotional on this problem car. What a shame on Honda "quality" car!
  • Options
    needacar1needacar1 Member Posts: 1
    Is it only happen to crv made in England?
    Thinking of buying a CRV, but after knowing this problem, I need think again..
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    you can read thru the posts or do a search. I do recall something about English CRVs mentioned. A resident expert: Sabrina, sadly no longer posts here or she could likely answer.

Hopefully she'll be back to let us know what happens with round two or her Honda Suit; which is on appeal from Honda.
  • Options
    Some CR-Vs experience the problem of pulling to the right. You've had the alignment checked, the next things to try are balancing and rotating the tires. Often the rotation cures the problem.

At least your dealer didn't try to convince you it was designed to do that as a safety feature; in case you fall asleep at the wheel the CR-V would not head into oncoming traffic.

Good luck.
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    hey Julia,
    This V is my third car and I found out when I made my Accord purchase, I realized it was pulling to the right the 2nd day I had it. I had to take it back to dealer for that service, which is inconvenient to do. I think the alignment isn't always checked when new vehicles arrive to the dealer and are getting prepped for sale. When I purchased this V, I had asked the dealership to check the alignment before I pick it up. Therefore, I was pleased with it and didn't have to go back.

agree with racoon, sounds like the wheels are out of balance - and you probably already checked the tire pressure.
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    Certain VINs from England's plant were included in the recall for the wiring on one of the airbags. Japanese vin's were not included.

I'm not sure if one plant or the other has had any difference in the fires that have occurred.
  • Options
    Hi, theracoon & bshel
    Thank you both for your post. The service guy did say that it was designed to do that as a safety feature; in case you fall asleep at the wheel the CR-V would not head into oncoming traffic.

This is lie. Who do not want the car drive straight? What about the car hit the car in the next right lane. It only takes about 2 sec. Cut into the next lane even after the alignment. The steering wheel sit slightly tilt to the right in the rest position. This car must have problem.

I should enjoy the weekend outdoor by the new vehicle. Not spend my time at service shop. This is not right. I am very disappointed about this car. Never image that happen on brand new car.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Last time I checked, there was one CR-V from Japan and the rest from England, however, this was from a post here on Edmunds, not from the NTHSB.
  • Options
    jmolinskyjmolinsky Member Posts: 18
    Folks,

I was just checking to see if anyone else in the forum has had a compressor fail so early on the 2002 and on CR-Vs? It was working one day and not the next. The dealer replaced in under warranty as expected in 1 day so no complaints here, but it still seemed a bit early for this to happen?
  • Options
    The service guy did say that it was designed to do that as a safety feature; in case you fall asleep at the wheel the CR-V would not head into oncoming traffic.

Ask them if they'll put that statement in writing on dealership letterhead. My guess is that they'd refuse or make an excuse about putting anything in writing.

In the back of your Owners Manual is the contact information for Honda (not the dealer). It might be worth calling them to complain about the problem. Make sure you tell them what the dealer's service person said about it being a safety feature.

Good luck.
  • Options
    gregwgregw Member Posts: 4
    Anyone ever experienced their CRV clicking (sounds like a relay under the dash) and cluster lights flash when the car is cold and outside temp < 20 deg.? The clicking and flashing dash lights stop after driving ~ 10 min. Dealer saw it but could not work on it at the time and when I took it back they said they could not find anything wrong.

Thanks
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    No car should "pull" to the right. A slight "drift" to the right is normal and the more crown to the road the more noticable it'll be.

Wheel balance has nothing to do with this.
  • Options
    jschambergerjschamberger Member Posts: 32
    Hello,

just traded my '04 Solara (had it six months) for an '04 CR-V EX and picked it up yesterday (wife is expecting and it would be pretty hard getting a baby in and out of the back of a two-door coupe). anyway, noticed a clicking in the dash when i slow to a stop... anyone else experience this???
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    That would be the reverse lock-out solenoid.

The car will automatically lock-out certain transmission selections (like reverse) when slowing to a stop. There is a solenoid (tiny little actuator) in the dash that sorta flips the switch. You are hearing the sound of it flipping.
  • Options
    jschambergerjschamberger Member Posts: 32
    anything the dealer can do to fix it? it doesn't bother me when i have the stereo on, but when it's off, the clicking is kind of annoying.
  • Options
    gregwgregw Member Posts: 4
    As indicated that is yet a different click. Yes, I agree anoying, but the reverse lock-out is a good thing.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,313
    Not trying to be funny (OK, I am), but turn up the radio.. I've never noticed this clicking.. If I do today, I'm really going to be ticked off.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I don't think you can "fix" it without interfering with the function it performs. If it bothers you enough, you might consider adding sound proofing (Dynamat or something similar) to the inside of the compartment.
  • Options
    Julia, our new CR-V pulled to the right excessively as well. We checked the tire pressure differences from left to right and they were all the same. The dealership told us the pull was "normal" but sure enough, when we had them check alignment, they found it to be out of spec and aligned it for us. That fixed the problem. I think by "normal" what they mean is "we don't do pre-delivery inspections so it's expected that your new car pull like that". You will find many other posts on this forum about CR-Vs pulling to the right, I think they leave the factory that way and the dealerships are negligent in their inspections.

It's a great car, you do NOT qualify for the lemon law AT ALL - in any state, but the dealerships I find detestable in their customer service and treatment of new owners. You may have to continue wasting your time there until they get it right. Or, maybe save yourself some time and check your tire pressure - that may be your culprit.

Somehow, I think Honda will slip a bit in the JD Powers initial quality surveys this year...

Sorry I sound bitter but this is something the dealerships are supposed to take care of before delivering the car to consumers! I find an out of spec alignment to be dangerous, regardless of the direction in which it's out of alignment.

Elissa
  • Options
    Elissa
    Thanks for the post. The tire pressure was already checked. The alignment checked and adjusted. It still PULL (not sligtly drift) to the right. I am not comfortable to drive it. Though I just notice the post alignment result still show rear right chamber and TOE out of spec. The sterring wheel seems slightly slam to the right at its rest position. I am very unhappy about this car. My previous cars does not have this problem. I never expect to spend that much time on brand new car.
  • Options
    It still PULL (not sligtly drift) to the right. I am not comfortable to drive it.

It CAN be fixed and it is NOT normal or a safety feature. Insist that your dealer fix the problem, and ask them to contact Honda. You should also call Honda yourself and complain about the problem and the dealer's response.

The sterring wheel seems slightly slam to the right at its rest position.

You're saying the steering wheel is slightly turned to right when the front wheels are pointing straight ahead? This can be adjusted and is probably not related to the pull to the right problem.

My last car had a steering wheel that was turned to the left when the wheels were straight. I asked the dealer to fix it. They did...from that point on the steering wheel was slightly turned to the right when the wheels were straight. I didn't complain about it again, just got used to it. That car never pulled right or left. And no, it wasn't a Honda.

• Options
    I just took delivery of a 1986 Civic that seemed to be in alignment (no pulling) but the steering wheel was off center by about 90 degrees, looked whacky. Got new tires with a free alignment and part of the alignment included straightening the steering wheel. It's driven straight and true since.
    Elissa
  • Options
    ddpstcddpstc Member Posts: 44
    At 50,000 miles, I went to SAMS Club and replaced the 4 Bridgestone Dueller tires for my 1999 CR-V EX AWD with the GoodYear tires. However, I still have the original Brigestone tire as the spare. All are 205-70R15 tires.
    If I have a flat on the road, is it safe to use the Bidgestone tire to replace the GoodYear tire to drive to the next service station? Since CRV only kicks in 4WD when it detects slippage, would it cause any problem to the transmission?
  • Options
  • Options
    shotsieshotsie Member Posts: 1
    HELP">
    I am trying a CR-V EX tomorrow. Have been reading these boards. SCARY
    I am trying not to let all that is written get to me
    Is this vehicle a very bad choice
    My other choice - tried it today - seat fatigue right away plus hard ride

Need a vehicle - want a SUV - small side
  • Options
    tjpushtjpush Member Posts: 9
    We have a 2003 EX and just gone thru the 1st oil change without a fire. But we were nervous for a few days right after the change.

I would like to add this to this thread and you guys may prove if it is different or not between 2002 and the 2003 models:

Our salesperson told us that our new CRV has/had special break-in oil so don't change it too soon. Should wait til 6000 miles or more.

We had an 95Accord and didn't hear anything about any special break-in oil.

Does this special oil have any fire prone ingredients in it?

TJ
  • Options
    If you were to read the owners manual, it refers to the break in oil. If you read back in this sickeningly long thread of fire discussions, I made the same query myself but others feel it's the NEW oil leaking passed the gasket that's the problem, not the OLD dripping out during the change. *shrug*
  • Options
    Given that some fires (Sabrina's for example) happened as many as 1,000 miles after the oil change, I think it's a good bet that the oil in question is probably the new oil.
  • Options
    Hi, theracoon
    Thanks for the post and suggestion. I am working with dealership to try to get problem fixed. If it is not fixed, I will call Honda USA to complain about the problem. I definitely do not want to tense my arms for every second to get the car to drive straight.
  • Options
    inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    The break-in oil contains a molybdenum derivative in it. The oil will ignite before the moly compound. Suspended in the oil its for all intents and purposes inflammable. Good question.
  • Options
    I change oil at home. Because CR-V oil filter is hidden inside a small engine cave, it is very difficult to access. Visual inspection of the oil filer opening is almost impossible. Furthermore, oil filter change in most Honda engines always cause oil to drip down below.

Why don't Honda engineers follow Toyota engineers and design the engine with oil filter sticks out in the open space to allow vision inspection of the oil filter opening after removal the old filter (to make sure that the oil gasket and residues are completely removed)?

After I heard of the CRV fires, I no longer consider Honda in my list of new car shopping unless Honda changes its engine design to make acess to oil filter easier.
  • Options
    kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    I agree that oil filter in CR-V is difficult to access, especially if you do it at home. But it is not "VERY" difficult. It is VERY possible if you find the right way to do it.
    I did my oil change five times already and never had a problem.
     Visual inspection of the oil filter opening is almost impossible - do not agree, again not very convenient, but possible (even at home) to inspect it quite thoroughly.
    Put the "V" on the ramps (5" high is enough), crawl under, put the working light on the right - and you will see everything in detail - also you may inspect it by hand by touch.
    During oil/filter change (every 5K) - I unscrew the oil plug ( oil is hot) and leave the oil dripping in a pan overnight.
    Next day, wearing protective glasses, I crawl underneath, unscrew the filter, and protect filter with a small piece of paper rug (oil is cold).
    Quickly unscrew the filter and immediately put it vertically (with the hole up). Usually you have
    several drops of oil which easily absorbed by the rugs (to be sure you may wrap the powertrain bar rubber boot with the rug too - just in case). You would have practically NO spills using this
    method - just leave oil to drip overnight - most oil will drip through the oil plug hole ( not much oil left inside the filter).
  • Options
    robkalsirobkalsi Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My wife's 1998 CRV's been having a problem with the power door locks making these clicking sounds for about 8 months now. When I spoke to Honda, they had said come in and for $200-$300 they will check and see what the problem may be... or since it's just clicking I can live with it.

Well this morning I decided borrow her car and found that the passenger side door lock would not open. After one of my errands I then had a problem getting in through the driver side. The remote (which i did use to open the hatch for testing) was working and I could hear the motor clicking but nothing happened.
    If i try to put in the key and turn it.. i met a lot of resistance and would not bring up the plunger. After a couple of minutes, I realized if i turn the key and pull the latch the driver side door would open.. unfortunately this didn't work on the passenger side.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong here or if there is at least a quick fix so that I can disable or get around the power door locks?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,313
    It sounds like the problem isn't with the power locks, it is with the lock mechanism.. Especially if it is hard to unlock with the key.. No expert, just a logician..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    gfxguygfxguy Member Posts: 18
    I haven't purchased my CR-V yet (probably within a week or so), but I wanted to address the drift or pull to the right issue...

We have an Odyysey that seemed to have that problem. We don't notice it much anymore (48k miles, with a different set of tires than the original). Just had the 45K service and had balance and alignment, no pulling, really (more in a minute), but still a shake at 75+MPH (which is not a ridiculous speed in a 70MPH zone).

You all probably already know this, but when *accelerating* in a front wheel drive car, you will *tend* to have some torque that may pull you right. If the car won't cruise flat and level in a straight line, though, I'd be annoyed and it's not "normal". They said with the Odyysey that there was... what? A five second rule? Ten seconds? If you are cruising straight and let go of the wheel, if you're not in the next lane in 5 seconds then it's "within spec."

I also agree with the guy who said to get it in writing... anytime you have a problem and they say it's normal, not just with this problem, anything that doesn't sound right to you... get it in writing.

After perusing all of these postings, FIRE BE DAMNED... I'll be looking for my new CR-V within a week or so and plan to keep reading this forum, so keep the posts coming.
  • Options
    You all probably already know this, but when *accelerating* in a front wheel drive car, you will *tend* to have some torque that may pull you right.

It's called torque steer. And I've felt it in my 1st Gen CR-V, but only when accelerating VERY hard. After all, the CR-V has a pretty puny engine. :D

If the car won't cruise flat and level in a straight line, though, I'd be annoyed and it's not "normal".

The problem that some CR-Vs have is not a 5-10 second "drift" into the next lane, but that if you're driving along at a steady speed and release the wheel you're immediately headed into the ditch...not a drift at all. And while driving along at steady speed you have to hold pressure on the steering wheel to keep it from turning right.

That's not normal and it's not a feature; it's a problem.

• Options
    Yeah, there's a difference between "drifting" to the right, and "pulling" to the right.

The first gen CR-V had a common problem with PTTR (pull to the right) syndrome. The 2nd Gen CR-V doesn't seem to have the same infection rate, but we do see an outbreak from time to time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips. I will follow your method the next oil change.
  • Options
    autosaurusautosaurus Member Posts: 90
    Well, my '04 EX pulled to the right from day 1.. I've posted it on here quite a bit and complained to Honda only to be told that everything is in spec and no problems were noted.. I need to slightly tilt the wheel to the left to keep it going straight!!. Just very anoying especially when combined with the on again/off again dashboard rattle, poor ergonomiics, poor gas milage, deafening road noise..etc..etc..

To paraphrase a recent road test comment by a major magazine (really applied to the new civic LX).."Something new from Honda..a looser"!!!