Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,650
    Front wheels and rear wheels don't follow the same track in a turn.. That is because the front wheels angle, as the rear wheels stay straight.. Tight turns could indeed engage the RT4WD slightly, and if there is a problem with the diff, then that could cause the noise problem.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,786
    OK, I see your point, but I have never felt the RT4WD kick in on a basic turn. I wouldn't think the pressure build up between front and rear would be sufficient. I imagine Honda engineers considered this factor - they wouldn't want the rear wheels kicking in unnecessarily...
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Stevedebi - Kyfdx is correct. The rear wheels take a shorter path than the front ones. The best way I can think to describe is to say, "they cut the corner". If you've ever hit a curb with the rear tire, you know what I'm talking about.

Honda has "dumbed" down the system to allow a 2 or 3% difference in speeds before activating the clutch packs in the RT4WD system. This makes it possible to run tires that are inflated to a slightly different PSI. It also allows the car to trun without binding. When you take a sharp turn, like in a parking lot, you approach the limits of that 3% difference and the system starts to engage.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,650
    Come on, varmint.... say that first line again... LOL

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I had the same symptoms on my 2000 CRV AWD. The dealer changed the rear differential fluid (under warranty) and the sound went away.
    Kyfdx - I wouldn't want to spread bad mojo by pushing your luck. =)

Nascar - I had it happen with mine around 45,000 miles. I'm at 85,000 now and the sound has not returned.
  • robmarchrobmarch Posts: 482
    wheelspin in traffic circles seems to kick it in also, mysteriously ;)
  • Varmint: Thank you for telling me about the "hitch and a half" knot. Went on the internet and learnt how to do that knot. Not used yet. Will let you know once I use it.

I am not a complainer. I want to enjoy my new EX. When I complain about problems and cons I cannot enjoy my new car. I agree that it has a better engine than the old one (the 1999 one I exchanged for). Now about the screeching noise from my new EX. Tried calling Conicelli Honda Service dept. many times. Left multiple telephone voice messages. Conicelli Honda Service Dept. did not have the courtesy to even reply any of my telephone messages. I am thoroughly frustrated with Conicelli Honda in Conshohocken, PA.

In utter frustration yesterday evening I took my new 2004 EX to the dealer and met with the Sales Manager. Gave him the key and told him to drive it himself. So we went for a drive withthe Sales Manager driving. He admitted there is a very audible screeching noise and that the noise is annoying to him also. The noise starts at about 45 MPH speed and gradually increases with speed and at about 60 MPH it is unbearable. His opinion was that the noise was coming from the new hood rack. I disagreed with him and said that the noise was there even before the hood rack was put in. But people can disagree on things. That is OK. He told me to make an appointment with the Service Dept. and bring the car in to attend to the noise.

Well, I have left three messages with the Service Dept. at Conicelli Honda from 7:30 AM, at about 10: AM I left a message with the Manager, Service Dept. It is now 11:10 AM. No one at Conicelli Honda has returned my calls to make the appointment. So I have to take a day off from work to make the appointment, another day to drop the car off etc. etc. The same routine I went with the Roof rack. I live in PA but work in New York. Conicelli Honda in Conshohocken, PA is Lousy, Lousy. Lousy. Lousy. When are they going to let me enjoy the new car.

By the way I contacted Honda. They opened a case file about this screeching noise. That was lst Thursday. I was told that a Technical person would get back to me in three days. Today is Wednesday - seven days later I am still waiting for Honda tech. person to call. What is wrong with Honda??????????????????????????
  • Just picked it up new. Had very rough ride taking home and noticable vibration in steering wheel (also in seat). Took back for test ride by svc mgr. He also felt vibration; checked tire inflation. Had over 50lbs in all tires! Reduced to 26. Ride improved but vibration still there (svc mgr called it a tremor). Any ideas or similar problems. Svc mgr suggested waiting for 500 miles fo rit to work itself out.
  • I had a screeching noise from the front end on my 03 EX. It turns out that the brake rotors were bad after 16k miles. The dealer replaced them free.
  • One thing I agree with apiano29 is let everyone know if the service at the dealership is lousy, and the internet is a good way to start. I have always said that "warranty is only as good as the dealership." If you got a lousy dealership, then you are going to have lousy warranty. With the price of vehicles and the cost per hour service charges, then in my books things better be run to satisfy the customer. I know our Honda dealership that we have in Regina is GREAT!! After you by a vehicle there, they phone you almost once a week for the first month to see if there are any problems. In fact the little stub pipe on the top of the aircleaner which holds the hose broke, when I went to check the filter. I went to order one ($96), and told them what happened. They installed it, and supplied the piece on warranty. Service manager said that who knows just maybe the pipe was cracked in the first place. Thats what I mean by warranty is only as good as the dealer!!
  • robmarchrobmarch Posts: 482
    is the vibration at a stop or at highway speeds? if it's at a stop, I think it's normal. The 2.4L 4 cylinder does vibrate the wheel and seat a little at a stop. If it's at highway speeds, it might be a wheel balance problem. The dealer should be able to rebalance them for you.

good Luck :)
  • Do you have the a/c on? Some vibration can come from the a/c compressor,try turning the cop on and off.
    Greetings from VA.
    fig.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Posts: 130
    I have 30k miles on my CRV and the brakes have plenty of pad left but when braking hard I hear
    a growling sound from the front. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe glazed pads.
  • I have had my 2003 CRV for less than 2000 miles and it is now in the shop for the second time. Both times I am told it is a faulty idle air control valve. Yesterday they told me I could pick it up, but when I got there they said they needed to keep it longer because "we think they might be something more that is wrong." DUH! Anyway, has anybody else experienced this problem, and what was the final outcome.
    Never heard of the fix before. What exactly is the problem? Can you describe the symptoms?
  • When the automobile downshifts to gain more power (like when you are passing a car or going up a hill) the CRV begins to shimmy and shake and then actually looses power. There is one pretty steep hill near my house and I was concerned that I was not going to be able to make it up.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Posts: 130
    I AM WORRIED ABOUT AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES AT
    36K MILES. WHAT, IF ANY PROBLEMS ARE OCCURING AND IS IT WORTH THE COST OF AN EXTENDED WARRANTY?EARLIER POSTINGS TALKED ABOUT VALVE JOBS.I WOULD LIKE TO GO 100K MILES WITHOUT ANY
    PROBLEMS.SO FAR MY 02 HAS BEEN PERFECT AT 30K
    MILES.HONDAS GET YOU SPOILED WITH PERFECTION AND AM FEARFUL OF TRYING OTHER BRANDS.
  • EARLIER POSTINGS TALKED ABOUT VALVE JOBS.

I think the posts were about valve adjustments, which is an entirely different thing.

JM2C
  • I have a 2003CRV Automatic Transmission and I notice that whenever I accelerate from a stopped position, it is NEVER a smooth acceleration...almost like the transmission misses a beat. The Dealer said that is normal. Anyone else have this experience????