Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• Options
    tregownertregowner Member Posts: 26
    Can't tell you.....this is my first VW since a (then new) 1968 Bug! There doesn't appear to be much, if any lag, but I have nothing to compare against.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I am glad to hear about your experience with the Touareg. It is pretty sad that you have some pessimism about how long your new family member will remain trouble free. I guess that is the experience with VW's.
  • Options
    No pessimism here....just alluding to what others seem to claim. From my current perspective, I have no reason to think that this will be an unhappy experience. I'm thrilled with my purchase, and the results.
  • Options
    bucknbuckn Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at the Toureg for some time. Since I am on the road quite a bit, one of the items I'm looking for in a new car, is an integrated phone system.

My wife has a BMW X5 that can add a cell phone. I have also been in a Lexus and Mercedes that also has this feature.

I have heard several different stories about a Toureg phone system. The one that I've heard twice, is that the only phone system available will be through Om Star.

I checked out their web site. Seems it's more of a supplemental phone and quite expensive. You would pay this, in addition to regular Cell phone.

Has anyone heard anything pertaining to a phone system for the Toureg? Any experiences with the On Star phone?

Thanks!
  • Options
    jeetojeeto Member Posts: 12
    I was just offered a price of 30,000 for the v6 by two seperate dealerships. Is the price going down everywhere? Is this the end of the year scramble, California reg fees, or just people not into paying for a higher end vw? Anyone else seen this?

Peeople may post that its just a ploy to get me to buy, but they have really changed their tune. I have spoken to both these dealers in the past 5 months. First visit I was told they are going above msrp and $500 extra on top of it all for a polularity fee. Second visit a few weeks ago I was told that I could get it for 34 - basically a grand off the msrp. So whats the sudden change in price thats going on?
  • Options
    rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    If that's true - what a deal. My 01 X5 is almost off it's lease and the T-Reg is definately on my shopping list. I may have to stop by my friendly VW dealer this weekend and check this out. Maybe VW is running some kind of a special dealer incentive on the T-Reg
  • Options
    qpowerqpower Member Posts: 34
    I just returned from Quirk VW in Quincy Ma where I have signed a P&S for a V6 with Premium Package, Xenons, and Northeast emissions with an MSRP of $38715, built in September to boot, for the low price of $34,515 !! - Wow, my choice of color, decent options, and a tasty discount too! - the local dealer was barely able to utter the words "discount off MSRP" so I went back to the dealer who gave me a deal on my last purchase, Quirk.

What else are other recent buyers seeing? Any short lists of trouble spots? My 99 New Beetle has been largely trouble free, other than the consumption of oil - what do I have to look forward to?
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    A previous post justified the Touareg's weight based on its 7700 lb towing capability. A 4200 lb 4Runner has a 7500 lb towing capability. So that is not the reason that the Touareg is a porker...
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    is available to order on T-Regs right now...Factory install, not Dealer install.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Has VW released the tow rating for "unbraked trailers" yet? Ones with trailer brakes can tow 7700 pounds, but what about unbraked trailers?

This info was missing from the early owners manuals. Have the most recent owners manuals been updated yet?

Bob
  • Options
    I will check on this for you tomorrow...
  • Options
    sciencegeeksciencegeek Member Posts: 41
    Got an e-mail from a local (SF bay area) dealer today saying he would sell me any V6 T-Reg on the lot for $600 above cost (!). This seems consistent what a couple earlier posts have seen. qpower, good going, you got what you wanted for a great price! In quinn-zee, no less (I lived in Boston for a while;)

Trouble is, what I'd want to have in a T-Reg isn't on that dealer's lot and he hasn't gotten back to me with a quote for a special order. Still deciding between a 4runner and a T-Reg. The 4runner is an excellent reliable vehicle so it's back to the issue of totally trustworthy reliability vs slightly cooler rig. Sure will help if the VW dealers indeed become more flexible with their pricing.
  • Options
    I paid for the vehicle yesterday and expect to pick it up tomorrow - Reed Green with Anthracite leather. - These guys are the largest VW dealer in New England and they deal! - there is no reason to pay more! VW will only make more... this isn't high art - $600 above MSRP is outrageous!
    - I am a Cal grad, so I know the Bay area - I helped my brother buy a Corvette in 1998 by phone/e-mail out there. - read the latest Road and Track for a review of the T-Reg and Cayenne side by side. This vehicle is universally praised for its interior and drivetrain, and I found the 4Runner way too confining... Good Luck!
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I think sciencegeek meant $600 above invoice, not $600 above MSRP.

I've got a 2003 4Runner V8 LTD. I haven't been in a Touareg, so my impressions of the interior are based solely on pictures. But I expect that the Touareg's interior would be significantly nicer than the 4Runner. The metal-look plastic on the 4Runner's dash looks cheap. The HVAC controls on the 4Runner are an ergonomic disaster. If you get a 4Runner with a sunroof, there isn't a whole lot of headroom.

On the other hand, the 4Runner is much cheaper than the Touareg. For the price of a V6 Touareg, you can get a V8 4Runner, which has much better acceleration.

My previous car, a 2000 GTI GLX, was unfortunately quite unreliable and my experience with the dealer and VW was not good. I've read reports from some Touareg owners of various problems (many seem to be electrical). I expect that my 4Runner will be more reliable than my previous VW.
  • Options
    horst1horst1 Member Posts: 33
    I knew, I would open up a can of worms , however you spend a lot of money for the T-reg. I always look for the biggest bang for the buck.
    If you do not use the T-reg for pulling, please disregard all this info.
    The torque curve of both V6 and V8 engines are illustrated in the literature which you get at the VW dealer. Please do remember, that in a simple way, torque comes from the cam design, volume and design of the engine. I agree, the 6 speed transmission will have a very positive impact in all this.
    Ea Taho: If you can get 85% of your max. torque at very low RPM (1600-2000RPM) and hold it over a long RPM range (up to 4000RPM) where you reach max. torque of 330lb.ft. Don't forget to include the weight of the vehicle. A good example is Nissans Pathfinder engine.
    If you have a chance, go on a Dyno with your vehicle and asked for a horse power and torque test. You will be surprised to see all the nice computer graphic print out and of course state and true vital signs of your engine. The results are not factory posted horse power, rather real horse power measured on the rear or front wheels depending on your car or SUV set up. In short torque is normally what you feel on the gas pedal. Hopefully, I did not confuse you to much.
    Horst
  • Options
    kcmwdc1kcmwdc1 Member Posts: 2
    Had XM installed....sort of. Circuit City in Saint Louis and Washington, DC couldn't do it successfully. XM says it's VW's problem. VW says it's the installlers. Circuit City says "just tell us how to install." Anyone out there installed either XM or Sirus? The excuse is, car has no external antenna? Most cars today don't.
    Any feed back would be appreciated.
  • Options
    kcmwdc1kcmwdc1 Member Posts: 2
    Have V8. When car is down shifting from D3-D@-D1, it doesn't actually stall, simply you try to accelerate and the car has nothing. You can floor it and nothing happens. So dangerous at intersections. Something when starting from D1-D2-D3. Add to that the dealer said they were too busy to see me before mid-November. Called VW of America and they said, we can't make a dealer see you. That's customer support on two levels. $53,150 before tax one would expect a little help.
    Is mine the only T that has this problem? Any feedback would be appreciated. I can handle VOA.
    Thanks
  • Options
    albchialbchi Member Posts: 4
    Hi Mike,

Like you, I am looking at the T-Reg and wanted
    to chat with you a bit off line. Please contact
    me at albchi@yahoo.com. Thanks!
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    That is a common problem in the Passat. The dreaded VW transmission lag. Maybe check the Passat forum to see if you are experiencing the same problem. My recollection is that as the computer learns your driving habits it gets screwed up. The only solution is to reset the ECM, if memory serves me...however I think this is an every 3500-5000 mile fix.

Not to bash VW, but I live near a dealer and was behind what looked like a Jetta test drive. There was a stream of water coming out of the tailpipe. Not just a litte, an actual stream, it looked like a faucet. Too bad the perspective buyer couldn't see that.
  • Options
    major7major7 Member Posts: 31
    Yesterday, I took a test drive of the V8 Touareg, twice. I have never owned a VW before and I have nothing to do with VW at all. I just want to say this V8 rode quietly, handled well, and had great acceleration. The radio sounded great as well. I went for 2 long test drives and the sales people at Joe Heidt Motors in Ramsey, N.J. are great to deal with. No pressure and they are willing to help out in any way to get you into a new VW. Their inventory is great and I would not hesitate to go back there when my lease comes to end in a few months. Just my opinion on the V8 Touareg. Thx. Bob
  • Options
    mliongmliong Member Posts: 231
    If you're looking for a T-reg, I recommend talking to VWguild, he's just about the only person on this thread who knows everything about the T-reg!
  • Options
    dopackidopacki Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a V8 Touareg for approximate two months now. I have noticed a couple of odd, nagging glitches and am curious if other owners have seen any similar issues.

First, if the vehicle has been sitting for a while, when the driver's door is opened, you can hear a motor/pump/compressor start up and run for a couple of seconds. It is not the seat repositioning itself (I'll address that later), and we do not have the adjustable air suspension option. What could this be, and what is going to happen someday when it eventually wears out?

Next, I am having a heck of a time getting the keys programmed correctly (which by the way have *horrible* range). One of our keys seems to operate properly 90% of the time and readjust the seat when opening the door. The other one is a major PITA. I have been through the programming instructions in the manual multiple times to no avail. I have also reset the seat programming subsystem per the manual to no avail. It doesn't help that the manual references many features and controls that do not exist on our particular run of the vehicle.

Finally, why trying to use the instrument menu to understand why the horn signal on unlock mysteriously turned itself back on after about 30 days, I (much to my chagrin) decided to just reset the convenience setup back to factory defaults. With the reset, the "comfort" option disappeared from my menu for good. Now I cannot view or change the setting I was having trouble with. *sigh*

The upside is that the car runs well and is very comfortable. It is my opinion that VW just built in too much complexity and logic into the vehicle systems for their own good. Lots of bells and whistles.. wish they actually worked.

Not a gripe per say, but another wasted half-a-day at my dealer.

-Dennis
  • Options
    ... for a offroad grey v6, anthracite leather, premium pack II, rear diff, 4 corner susp. w/ xenon ... It'll take three months but that's ok. The deal I got was good and fair: 2.5% above dealer cost. Not as good as qpower, but pretty damn good. I'm stoked!

I was also looking at a 4runner and just 100% agree with qpower and nedzel. It's a question of reliability (4runner) versus tighter design and less bulky impression. The t-reg is just a masterpiece; after the testdrive I was completely sold on it, whereas the bulk of the 4runner just turned me off.
    Now, I do hope it won't have a lot of little annoying problems like those some of you are citing here; but, the much-cited reliability problems were not enough to counteract my impression of the impressive engineering, sleek exterior design, and flawless interior finish of the T-reg.

Bottom line: if you're into the T-reg, do shop around and you'll pay much less than MSRP regardless of whether it's on the lot or whether you have to special order.
  • Options
    Well, it's the end of my first day with my V6 Reed Green T-Reg and I am elated at the overall impression and caliber.

I do love so much about this vehicle... but there are some issues to address. My unit was built in Sept. so it should have the latest fixes, I hope. I discovered that you can get info on dealer bulletins at the VW web site, without actually getting to see them. There is a bulletin on the short range of the keys - I have noticed this today and my wife commented how poorly it performed compared to her New Beetle key, but remember, this key has more sophisticted internal electronics to immobilize and integrate with the specific car, so that may be at issue - will know more soon. There is also a bulletin about the tire pressure system for the first 5,074 units made concerning the possible chafing of the electrical harness servicing the tire pressure system. But you have to pay to get these bulletins, so I figure it may be easier to ask a dealer to review them or photocopy them... there only appears to be a couple of meaningful, relatively hard issues.

Now my observations: the door is a frustrating device with its double latch mechanism. The overhead console does not offer good contrast during the day. The operation of the MFI (Multi Function Indicator) requires some familiarity, it is not so obvious to operate.

According to the video which came with the car, there is a means to tie the key to the seat memory settings so that when you unlock the car, it will know how to set itself up. I have not tried to enable this yet.

The sound heard upon opening the driver's door after it has been at rest for a period of time is in fact the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel delivery system in preparation for the car turning over. My wife's New Beetle does the same thing and is especially audible - I am in the auto parts business, so I am hip to the sound, especially the first time I heard it.

Sciencegeek - I am surprised that you had to wait to get it your way, but it must be the rear diff option as this is only necessary for serious off-road use or serious snow use at the slowest speeds. I had this feature as a part of my Audi Quattro and never used it unless I was stuck in deep snow drifts. So for any on-road typical user, forget about it! - Don't bother: the standard 4X Motion system is like Audi's Quattro system and that should nicely get the job done with the added ride height. You can probably find your car somewhere in your trading area or at the port facility if they are willing to look hard.

BTW, my dealer, Quirk VW of Quincy, Ma. bent over backwards to deliver the vehicle to me on a Sunday morning even though they normally do not do so. My family needs made this necessary, so they made the effort. And they sold me the vehicle for $4200 off sticker price! And they would have taken a trade if I had wanted to use one...this was a cash deal, not contingent on financing, but I do not believe that mattered. And they do advertised in the paper a $32,699 sale price on a $36,915 MSRP vehicle, of which they had several in stock. These guys deserve a strong look by any one buying in the area! - just my humble opinion...
  • Options
    So glad to hear you like your T-Reg! Bodes well for me ;)

Yes, the rear diff lock option was one of the reasons; the other was the anthracite leather in the offroad grey.

[Side note: my two girls, ages 4 and 7, were with me at the dealer, clowning around ... the guy comes in and asks me whether I really want to special order because they have just the vehicle (no diff lock) with grey leather at the port ... before he fully finishes his sentence he sees my girls and goes "right, I see. you want anthracite."]

You touch upon the other reason why I don't mind waiting: the build date. The more time elapses the better because VW will work out some bugs (but not all) as time goes by. By the time mine is built, the T Reg will have been in production for about a year, which is ok; yours not much less.

And thanks for the super-useful info about the bulletins. Host, this is something you might want to mention here from time to time.
  • Options
    tinlvtinlv Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an Offroad Grey Exterior/Kristal Grey Interior V8 Touareg this weekend. I live in Las Vegas and was unable to find the car I wanted here, and the prices quoted were Manufacturer's Sticker. There seems to be strong demand and limited supply here.

Using VW's website (www.vw.com), I checked inventory at a number of VW dealers in Southern California. Most of the dealers that I spoke with were very straight forward about the selling process. Several were willing to sell at invoice plus $500-1,500.

I ended up purchasing a V8 with Air Suspension and Bi-Xenon lights from Capistrano VW in San Juan Capistrano, CA. I talked with a representative of their Internet department at 9:30 Saturday morning, caught an 11:30 flight ($97) from Las Vegas to Orange County, and was at the dealer by 1:00. I enjoyed a nice drive back to Las Vegas in the evening.

The folks at Capistrano VW were honorable and very easy to work with. They did say that their typical internet pricing is greater than $500 over invoice.

Pricing was as follows:

Manufacturer's Sticker Price - $44,515

My Price - $41,194. My price consisted of the invoice, which was $40,694 (includes $200 SCVDA advertising, $142 floorplan interest reserve, $25 port prep, and $150 Calif. emissions), plus the $500 markup.

In addition, I paid tax (7.75%), $45 document prep (this is nice when I am used to nonVW dealers quoting $199-399 for doc), $5 for Calif Tire Fee, and $10 for a one way permit to return to Nevada. I need to register the car in Nevada myself.

I used VW Credit, which had a 3.75% interest rate for 60 months

Very nice ride so far. Quick and smooth on the road. The only option that I really wanted was the Air Suspension, but I think you need to get the Bi-Xenon lights when you order the Air Suspension.

I will share more information as I drive the car.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sciencegeek, the Edmunds Maintenance Guide has summary technical service bulletins for most cars. You do need to visit the dealer for the full text or buy it from alldata.com. Sometimes the NHTSA has full text, but not often.

The Maintenance Guide is linked under the Ownership tab at the top, with some other site features we forget to promote :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    That "deals" are available on V6s & basic V8s... Inventories and availability of V6s are strong, and the demand for basic V8s is weak...V8 with Premium Plus, 4 Zome Climate Control, etc. will still command MSRP...
  • Options
    hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Another way I have discovered to get the full text of the TSBs for free is to go to your public library. I live in the St Louis area and the libraries here offer alldata.com access for free. You have to be at the library using one of their computers (vice connecting from home or work) but that minor inconvenience is worth it in my opinion to be able to access the data for free. Don't know if all libraries offer this but it might be worth checking into!
  • Options
    rplumrplum Member Posts: 48
    Just another data point, take it for what it's worth:

My company and I rented a Touareg V6 (non air suspension) brand new off a dealer's lot in late September. We put about 4,000 miles on the T-Reg in about a 3 week period in California, Arizona, Colorado(yes, that's a lot of driving). We also had a newly leased 2003MY BMW X-5 3.0i Sports Package with us on this trip. The X-5 performed without problem (though it is jawdropping that one can spend $50k on a car and not get a CD player standard - our car has the NAV option and get only a cassette player!).

Overall the Touareg is a very nice package, and for the $36k ish price, out rented car was a bargain (our loaded X5 checked in at $49k).

We had a few problems which were a bit concerning:

After only a few thousand miles those impressive looking brakes (6-pot front, 4-pot rear!) were severely warped. Probably just front rotors here, but still - after only a few thousand miles? 100% normal highway driving.

The rear glass door on the hatchback would unlatch itself over even a mild freeway expansion joint. The warning beeper honks at you, and the onboard computer disabled itself. This got worse as we continued on the trip. The glass door never actually opened, but the switch telling the car's computer its position had some problems. The dealer we took the car too said that there was a countermeasure part for this, but it was at least a 1 week wait.

The in-dash CD player would decide on a whim to not eject the CD, then the next day eject it without issue. Multiple CD's were tried, same problem.

Severe engine misfires. This happened to us twice, the first time just about 10 miles before pulling into a gas station, we re-filled the car and the CEL turned itself off. The 2nd time the CEL remained on and the car stumbled badly (we were 200-300 miles away from the nearest VW dealership. We nursed it into a dealership. They held it for 3 days, could not diagnose the problem, but turned the CEL off and told us that we could come pick the car up. We had to travel about 1000 miles over the next few days through relatively unpopulated parts of the western US, so we opted to have the Toaureg moved back to California via flatbed truck. We didn't want to risk the problem again and damaging the T-reg, or get stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Good things:
    The 6 speed transmission always has an appropriate gear. V-6 engine is not great, but the 6-speed surely makes it adequate in most situations. Steep hills could be driven in 4th gear with no shift hinting.

Interior is beautiful.

Very comfortable overall, though I'd prefer a bit more feedback from the steering and brake pedal.

Again, this is just one experience. We still agreed that it is a really nice rig for the money and unsurpassed in terms of road trip comfort and features. We'll probably lease one for our fleet in the next month or so. Hopefully our 2nd experience is better.

I've driven a V8 air suspension Touareg as well. The air and coil spring models feel worlds different. Make sure you drive one of each before deciding on your purchase.

Thanks for the time, and for wading through my rambling message.
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I believe your low $45 Doc Prep charge was due to the dealer location, not the dealer brand. Just like you, I am accustomed to paying $199 to $299 fees for new automobiles here in Arizona, but every Lexus dealer we surveyed in Southern California quoted a $45 Doc Prep fee for a new RX 330. That low $45 fee is a nice discount on top of the discounted sales price, eh?
  • Options
    jntn1jntn1 Member Posts: 1
    So far I've gotten about $2000 off MSRP in New york (Bronx). For a lightly loaded V8.Has anyone done better if so which dealerships in the area have a large stock. Thanks.
  • Options
    pittsypittsy Member Posts: 15
    The manual says that you can program the door locks via the steering wheel pad to NOT lock the doors automatically. I can not find this option on the panel has anyone else figured this out. Thanks
  • Options
    major7major7 Member Posts: 31
    Has anyone seen a Campanella White Touareg anywhere or in a dealers online inventory on the East Coast? A few weeks back a Ct. VW dealer had one in their inventory, but it disappeared quickly. It looks nice when you roll over the colors on the VW site, but sometimes you can't go by the online photos. I suppose it's possible VW has not made many in this color. Thx Bob
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    According to the Car Connection site:

VW Touareg Spawns Euro-Van

Volkswagen has a van - that's panel, not mini - version of its recently introduced Touareg up-market 4x4. Unveiled at the Amsterdam commercial vehicle show this week, the Touareg van is aimed firmly at the Netherlands market, where vehicle taxation quirks spawn many unusual vehicles. The van on show has leather upholstery, air-conditioning and all the other options you'd expect from a top of the range machine. But behind the driver and passenger seats there is a flat load floor, raised roof, although only by an inch or so, and blacked-out windows to meet local commercial vehicle tax laws. The trick is that buyers who forego the comfort and convenience of rear-compartment seats can buy a Touareg that carries a lower tax rate. It's not so that deliveries can be maintained in Holland's often freezing winters and it certainly isn't because Dutch tradesmen require hill-climbing ability. Don't expect to see any Touareg vans making it to the USA - but then, where unusual vehicles and the American love of something different is concerned, you can never say 'never.' -Ian Norris

Bob
  • Options
    Quirk VW in Quincy, MA had a Campanella White basic V6 with Bi-Xenon lights and Sound System I upgrade with Northeast Emissions advertised in the paper for $32,999 - $300 more than last weeks ad, BTW! This vehicle has a MSRP of $36,915 delivered, I believe. I opted to buy a higher MSRP vehicle, but I looked at this one briefly.

I also think that they have more White units with higher end options. I rather liked the Wheat Beige at this price point, but the Reed Green got my heart!

On a different note, I love the first several days with my new T-Reg, but wonder if any of you out there have noticed that the water temp gauge climbs rapidly to 200 degrees within 4-5 minutes, so fast that you can watch it move up!

Does any one notice this? The oil temp takes a lot longer to rise to its nominal temp. Any ideas?
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    The water temp raising that quick is a good thing, manufacturers want the engine to reach operating temp as soon as possible, cold operation is detrimental for an engine.
  • Options
    and look, they even put a full-size spare on the rear ... one of the most annoying non-features of the T-Reg.
  • Options
    <<but wonder if any of you out there have noticed that the water temp gauge climbs rapidly to 200 degrees within 4-5 minutes>>

I believe this is normal.....my V-6 does the same...about 4-5 minutes to operating temp.

On another subject, I had my first experience with the tire monitoring system. It appears that when you are very close to the setting, it can be a little touchy, especially with the effects of heat. Cycled on and off. I stopped to adjust the pressure, but it's a little tricky with warm tires. Waiting until the car is cold to adjust the pressure is a better procedure.
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Please, I am not bashing the Touareg, as a matter of fact I intend to get one when the Diesel V10 becomes available but personally I feel the less gadgets the better, a few simple things is all I need. For what I have been reading seems like the tire pressure monitor is a little finicky, for hundred years we got along without a gadget telling us what the pressure is.

One thing to consider is that the pressure will fluctuate a lot as the temperature changes, that is why race cars and airplanes use pure DRY, Nitrogen, the pressure is more constant within the temp range, main culprit of the pressure changes is water, known as atmospheric humidity, inside the tire when cold will condense and puddle as water in the bottom, when the tire gets hot it will turn into steam and raise the pressure.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .in my Audi (13 months in Cincinnati, 4 seasons, that is). I guess the Touareg could be finiky in its TP system -- but the Audi version, which I assume is "similar" is fantastic.

You inflate the tires, cold of course, to the pressure you desire. You press a button immediately after you do this that says "store tyre pressures" (yep it spells it that way). Two levels of warnings are avail for each tire and if more than one tire is out of tolerance another warning message is displayed allowing you to address the issue before it becomes a danger.

We didn't always have disk brakes or ABS or ESP or any number of other saftey, performance, convenience or comfort features either -- but I certainly would not want to be without them.

TPM, ESP, ABS, airbags, dual-braking systems, disk brakes, safety glass, steel belted radials, safety gasoline tanks, all-wheel drive and even airconditioning -- don't leave home without them.

Please.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
                          - DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT

"Dear Gerd Klauss, VWoA

I regularly participate in edmunds town-hall. I point you to posting 1094 on the Touareg message board.

I have, in good faith and with at least appropriate if not generous patience relayed my story as noted in post #1094 throughout the VWoA proper chain of communication as I understand it.

I do want to own a Touareg. Under the circumstances don't you think that it would be far less costly for all of us if you just used your executive authority and gave me a Mulligan?

I suspect that the number of current customers and POTENTIAL customers that will read my story is a significant and represents, therefore a great opportunity for VWoA. I assure you a speedly resolution to this matter will be given equal treatment by me on this forum.

I urge you to help me resolve this problem. It would seem, all things considered, a relatively inexpensive way to garner much positive publicity and effectively turn this problem into a success-story.

In my experience, companies are judged by the way they respond to problems far more than they are when there are none.

Very truly yours

Karl"

Or words to that effect, don't you think?
  • Options
    was this a CarsDirect purchase?
  • Options
    frustratedownrfrustratedownr Member Posts: 5
    This purchase had nothing to to do with CarDirect, as far as I know. I'd purchased my 2000 Passat Wagon from Dirito on the recomendation of a friend. He leased a V6 and went back to deliver some paperwork a week later. His T-rag was dead when he tried to leave the dealership. They said it was a sensor that they would take from another car on the lot. He was back on the road 3 hours later. His only other complaint is a noise coming from the rear of the car, a thud that he can't seem to locate.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's helpful for people who are looking at buying one (or who have one on order, like me). Sounds like you got the runaround from both your dealer and VW. I've read somewhere else here (4runner discussion?) that getting lemon law status is quite hard. I'm not sure what recourse you have other than seeing if things are fixed and if problems recur try to get it into the shop 3 times and see if the lemon law applies at some point. It does help if you keep detailed records of all the calls and all the problems, etc. Best of luck!
  • Options
    rc7762rc7762 Member Posts: 35
    Fantastic Idea!!

After reading the posts and the problems that most owners are experiencing I would have serious second thoughts if I was considering purchasing this vehicle.

The vehicle in post# 1094 is plagued with defects both externally and mechanically and VW sends a statement to the dealer claiming that they will honor their warranty for the customers vehicle and pay for 2 scheduled service appointments, So according to VW this should make the customer jump for joy that his BRAND NEW less than one month old vehicle will be fixed for free! and for spending $50,000 and not being able to drive his BRAND NEW less than one month old vehicle VW is going to pay for his next 2 service appointments. WOW!!

Get real VW!! they should be embarrassed to even make such a statement. If VW expects people to spend $50,000 for an SUV with this type of reliability (and yes I believe they knew of the problems long before they made it to the dealers) they should do the right thing and honor this customers request.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    So, let me get this straight. VW is offering you free 5K and 10K mile services???? I hope you DO NOT accept this offer. Those services will be worth no more than $100.00. They are most likely oil changes and tire rotations.

Please let us know if your issues have resolution or are you still fighting with VWOA.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I am not sure...but I think you have a certain amount of time to just bring a car back and say you want your money back. 9/25-10/16 seems like a short enough time...especially since you really didn't possess it that long and probably put very few miles on it.

I would check what the flat out return policy is...regardless of lemon law...that may be your best way out. Have you contacted your local better business bureau...they may be able to clarify your rights.

In my opinion...a lot of car salespeople and dealerships will go as far as breaking the law to pressure you into keeping something you don't want and not losing the sale. If you really don't want this car, you should contact an agency or legal body that can help you. As the consumer...the dealership will push your back to the wall, threaten to keep your money, make you feel at fault, etc.

Good Luck
  • Options
    prajapatiprajapati Member Posts: 33
    I'm sorry to hear your problems. Not long ago I bought the VW Passat GLX 4Motion. For a while I was very happy with the car that I considered T for the replacement of my RX300. Just about when the T came out, the Passat, which was still under warranty, started showing problems - one after another! Well, problems happen, but the way they were handled by the dealer as well as VWoA convinced me to stay away from expensive VW products. It&#146;s no secret that VW products have nice handling but that&#146;s not enough. I might by a 20k GTI some day, but as for an expensive VW, it's better to spend a bit more and get a real premium product. Also let&#146;s keep in mind that some of the Japanese and the domestic big three have started coming out with products with just as good handling with fewer problems and better customer satisfaction.