Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    What is the vegetation in the field? Beans? If it's beans, it's a very weedy field.

Photographer needs a better camera. The picture is fuzzy when enlarged and I can't tell what's in the field !

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    ab348 said:

berri said:

I always liked the mid 50's Pontiac's better than the Chevy's personally. Right off the top - the interiors

I like the interiors but I never cared for the styling of the '55/'56 Pontiacs. The '57 was a big improvement.
    I always liked the proportioning of the Pontiacs over the Chevies. Same rooflines, but longer rear decks and, I believe, a longer front clip. In contrast, I always thought the Chevies had a stubby look to them. But I never liked the front-end of the '55-56 Pontiac, with the way the tops of the front fenders have sort of a peeled-back look. But, I like the '57 a lot. It was glittery, but handsome, I thought.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    The Kaiser was an interesting styling for its time in the first part of the 50's. Growing up we had a neighbor who owned two of them. Often wonder if it would have been more successful had it included a V8. Regardless, the mid 50's was pretty hard on the Independents. I also liked the sporty Darrin with the sliding doors, but assume they were problematic.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    andre1969 said:

But I never liked the front-end of the '55-56 Pontiac, with the way the tops of the front fenders have sort of a peeled-back look. But, I like the '57 a lot. It was glittery, but handsome, I thought.

Yep, IMO that '55/'56 front end never should have seen the light of day. The rear end design seemed kind of old-fashioned compared to some other makes too but I think in the GM way of thinking in those days the lower lines like Chevy and Pontiac had to wait a bit before getting the styling featured on makes like Buick and Caddy.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    The gills above the headlights have always bugged me on those Pontiacs.

I've thought those Kaisers were almost pretty in their own way.
  • Options
    For their time, I thought Kaiser was ahead of the curve styling wise. The lack of a V8 and money to update hurt them. Perhaps they should have focused on the Kaiser and not kept the Frazier after it came out. But there were many good Independent maker vehicles back then and price war survival starting around 54 made life difficult for all of them. Kind of ironic after all the focus and hoopla about V8's that probably the only thing that let Studebaker and Nash Rambler survive was a turn to a focus on economy as the big 58 recession came on.
  • Options
    Pontiac - for me I wasn't that fond of the 57, but really liked the 58 and 59. The 55/56 kind of turned around Pontiac's earlier sales slump and moved its image from an old lady's car. Of course, that wouldn't have likely been possible without the 55 Chevy.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    One for the crowd, here:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    5th Avenue.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but it is at least tangentially related, so here goes.

I think I mentioned recently that Velocity Channel up here has not yet been converted over to Motor Trend TV. While some may think that is a good thing, at the moment it isn't because they have absolutely no new programming being aired (I know summer is rerun season, but still...) and there is nothing much on there that interests me.

I saw a blurb online about a 2-week free trial of Motor Trend TV online and decided to sign up, basically for 2 shows: the most recent couple of series of Wheeler Dealers, which has not aired here yet, and the Top Gear archive. I have some of Top Gear available through Prime, but the MT offering goes way back so that should be somewhat interesting. I started with Wheeler Dealers and burned through all of the stuff I hadn't seen in a couple of days.

I wasn't one of those people who hated Mike Brewer and blamed him for Edd's departure, and Ant Anstead is pretty good in his own right, but I have to say the flavor of the show now doesn't appeal to me much. They still show Ant doing a lot of work, but it often seems to be much more complex stuff than what used to be the case, so it is less than interesting from a DIY perspective. The other thing that is probably the biggest turn-off now is the way the producers seem to have decided that Brewer is an actor/comedian and are setting him up in that context with Anstead as his victim. Some of the "test drive" segments at the end are just foolish and most of them are way too long. They don't seem to want to bother much with the selling process either as most of them just show someone walking up and paying the asking price. None of it seems as credible or relatable as what it used to be. Too bad, I used to like it but now not so much. The recent episode that seemed closest to what it used to be was the '85 M-B 300TD wagon, but even that supposedly sold for something like $12K IIRC.

• Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Lemko once had an '85 5th Ave that he bought used, and I remember him saying it ended up being one of the best cars he ever owned. FWIW, the Mopar M-body was one of the few domestic brands that could consistently get an "average" rating from Consumer Reports back in the 80's. When it wasn't getting "insufficient data", that is! :p

I had an '89 Gran Fury ex copcar for a few years, and it wasn't bad. Considering it could be traced back to a 70's compact, the Aspen/Volare, it actually passed off pretty well as a big car, compared to GM's B-bodies and Ford's Panthers. It didn't have the shoulder room, but had great headroom and legroom. It also had less intrusion from things like the transmission/driveshaft hump, dashboard, rear wheel housings, etc. If you put three across in back, they would be tight, but you wouldn't have the outboard passengers tilting inward like you did with the B-bodies, and Panthers.

Oh, I mentioned it in the "Chronic Car Buyers" forum, but my uncle has been looking for something used, as a second car. His main transportation is a 2016 Colorado extended cab, which, despite the back seat, is basically a 2-seater. He wants something with a useable back seat, in case he ever needs to haul around more than one passenger. Which, probably won't come up that often, as our family is starting to die off from old age, and not enough kids. But, he got it in his mind, and wants it. Well, he had found this 2007 Town Car at a local lot. I went with him yesterday to look at it. Unfortunately, picked up a bad vibe from it. First off, it wouldn't start, from sitting for so long. But, it also looked like it was sitting low in front. It was parkted in between two other Town Cars, on a fairly level lot, so you could tell something wasn't right. It also had a lot of broken trim stuff inside...pull strap trim, the center console lid, and also a little flip up armrest in the door panel that hid a compartment, that was broken. It only had about 93,000 miles on it, and was a pretty shade of silver with just a hint of blue. And, a sunroof, which seems a rarity for even a Town Car. But, despite the Panther's reputation for ruggedness, this one just seemed like it would be a problem child. Also, popping the hood, everything that was made of aluminum looked like it had deterioration.

We found a 2006 Lexus RX330, basically the Aztek of Lexus, at another lot. Ugly as sin, and it had about 146,000 miles on it. But, admittedly the interior was almost like new, and really nice and comfortable. Personally I think it's over-priced, at $7200. I dunno how much wiggle room there would be in something like this, as I'm really out of touch these days. I still think that once a car gets to that age and mileage, it's like a 90 year old man that was still healthy enough to run a marathon. Sure, he seems fine now, but he could drop dead in a couple months!
  • Options
    Some old iron in the pictures on this flyer.

http://bwws-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/res/assets/content/auctions/1556/floydsmith_flyer.pdf

The flyer claims there are more pictures at red.bid for the Sept 21 auction of an area car collector's collection.
    I don't find better pictures than in the flyer.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    @andre1969 Whatever happened to your late 1990s Buick Park Avenue? I thought that was a nice car. And supercharged iirc?
  • Options
    The 5th Avenue pictured above is an ‘83

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    benjaminh said:

@andre1969 Whatever happened to your late 1990s Buick Park Avenue? I thought that was a nice car. And supercharged iirc?

It pretty much went to crap back in 2016, around the 115,000 mile mark. It was having electrical issues, where the check engine light would come on from time to time, every once in awhile it refused to start, despite having a new battery, etc. On top of that, it had brake issues, suspension issues, bad shocks in back...and it was that expensive electronic level-ride or whatever they called it. The brake and fuel lines were also rusting. Eventually, it did lose its brakes...but fortunately, it did it in the driveway.

I actually still have it. We keep it at my grandmother's house. She passed away back in 2015, but my Mom has been slow to settle the estate, so we still have her house...and it's packed full, from the family's hoarding tendencies. I keep it over there, so the house doesn't look too abandoned. One thing that did impress me about the car, though...at one point I let it sit for about two years, in my driveway, without starting it. When it came time to start, the battery was totally dead, but I put one of those high powered portable jumpstart things on it, and it fired right up. It even sounds good. It's starting to look ratty, though. The paint on the hood was starting to fade, the headlights are doing that usual clouding up thing, the driver's seat leather is ripped, and at some point, the driver's door stopped opening, so you have to go in on the passenger side. Thank God for bench seats!

Every once in awhile, I toyed with the idea of getting it back on the road, but once the mechanic came up with about $3,000 worth of repairs, plus the fuel line and brake line issues, plus maintenance stuff that was coming due again, like tires, belts, hoses, and so on, and still having to deal with electrical glitches, I figured it just wasn't worth it. Every once in awhile, my uncle asked me about trying to put the car back on the road...he always liked it. But, I try to talk him out of that, pretty quickly. Once we get closer to selling Grandmom's house, I'll start getting serious about getting rid of it. I know I won't get much for it, probably not more than a few hundred bucks.

Oh, that reminded me, almost forgot, but on Saturday we also saw a 2006 Lucerne CX, with 125,000 miles, for $4,000. It almost seemed tempting at first, but it had an aftermarket padded roof on it. Not quite as tacky as some of those carriage roofs, but my uncle and I both joked that neither of us was old enough to drive a car like that! Plus, it looked like a repaint, and not a good one. The metallic flakes just seemed too big, and too close together. It was also peeling at some of the edges, like the hood and trunk. I could see the car looking like crap within a year or two.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    Perhaps a later model Lucerne would be nice. The CXL model with the 3.8 or later 4.0 V6, not the Northstar (which is a sweet engine, but not sure the long term head bolt stretching, head gasket issue was ever resolved) are good cars.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Yeah, I thought about a Lucerne as well, if a nice one happened to pop up. And, I agree on one of the V6 models. It's a shame they never got around to putting the 3.6 OHC in the Lucerne. From what I've heard, the Northstar that was used in the Lucerne wasn't too bad. I believe it had 275 hp, and it was the high-output, 300 hp version that tended to be more troublesome.

Oh, one other car we looked at...a 2009 Cadillac STS, with about 105,000 miles and the 3.6. They also had one with the Northstar, a 2007, but my uncle didn't like it. He sat in it, but it just didn't feel right to him. In his not-too-politically-correct way of saying things, he said it felt like a fat man had driven it before, and the seat felt like it suffered from that. I had also told him that any Northstar Cadillac could be iffy, with age.

Anyway, the Cadillac wasn't bad. I think it they wanted $6900 for it. But, for some reason, my uncle decided to use me as a "test mule". He was having me sit in the driver's seat, get it to where I'm comfortable, and then he'd see how he fit behind me. Well, with the seat set to where I was comfortable, you really couldn't get anybody behind me. The back seat was also hard to get in and out of. I tried to remind him that how he fit was more important, as it's not like I'm driving Miss Daisy to the Piggly Wiggly in it. But, for some reason he kept getting hung up on if I had to drive it.

I also told him that if he ever needed a sedan, he could always use the 2003 Regal I inherited from my Dad. I do most of my driving in it, because it gets better mileage than my Ram, and doesn't need 89 octane. But, I don't mind driving the truck, and letting him take the car. But, I think he just wants something he can call "His".
  • Options
    andre1969 said:

benjaminh said:

It pretty much went to crap back in 2016, around the 115,000 mile mark. It was having electrical issues, where the check engine light would come on from time to time, every once in awhile it refused to start, despite having a new battery, etc. On top of that, it had brake issues, suspension issues, bad shocks in back...and it was that expensive electronic level-ride or whatever they called it. The brake and fuel lines were also rusting. Eventually, it did lose its brakes....
    Thanks for the update. The Park Avenue did seem like a nice 90s version of a 50s Buick to me. But it sounds like it's probably too much money to get it going again. Does any of this every make you think about getting a new and reliable car with the latest technologies? For the $4000 it would take to get the Park Avenue going you could maybe cover at least the first year or so of a lease....? But I've lost track—what is your daily driver? You probably don't need another car because you already have a few.
  • Options
    I’d be wary of the earlier 3.6. It is a nice running and powerful engine. I remember having fun with a 2006 CTS when my 01 Aurora was having its transmission replaced, thankfully covered by an extended warranty. However I understand heavy oil consumption and timing chain issues are real concern. The timing chain has a tendency to jump sprocket gears resulting in a major mess.

• Options
    benjaminh said:

Thanks for the update. The Park Avenue did seem like a nice 90s version of a 50s Buick to me. But it sounds like it's probably too much money to get it going again. Does any of this every make you think about getting a new and reliable car with the latest technologies? For the $4000 it would take to get the Park Avenue going you could maybe cover at least the first year or so of a lease....? But I've lost track—what is your daily driver? You probably don't need another car because you already have a few.

Yeah, I do have a bit of a fleet, but Maryland recently changed their laws regarding driving cars with historic plates. It used to be they'd cut you some slack if you drove the car to work or school on a nice day, as long as you weren't doing it regularly. But now, it's expressly forbidden to do that. So, if a cop was to see me driving one of the antiques in rush hour traffic, it might look questionable. Of course, I could always say I was taking it to my mechanic...

Anyway, back in 2017, my Dad passed away, and I inherited his 2003 Regal LS. It was pretty low-mileage, but he wasn't the best at maintaining it. I kept records...I gave it its first fill-up on 6/7/17, with 66,525 miles on it. The last time I put an entry in was on 8/24/19, with 90,500 miles. One of the HVAC knobs broke and I bought a 3-pack from Advance Auto. As of that point, I had put $5,033.75 into that "free" car...plus gasoline, plus insurance. On the plus side though, that amortizes out to $189.95 per month. Major trouble areas were the MAF sensor (replaced twice, but once under warranty when the first one failed), water pump/tensioner/serpentine belt, front brakes/rotors, rear brakes, service transmission, recharge a/c, oil pressure sending unit, rusted brake lines, and sway bar links, and some other odds and ends.

I started driving the Regal, to keep the miles of my 2012 Ram. Plus, the Regal gets better fuel economy, and only takes 87 octane. However, the Regal has a minor coolant leak in the intake manifold. The mechanic said that if I keep checking the coolant, it should be fine. It will probably slowly get worse over time, but it shouldn't just fail catastrophically. Anyway, that would be about $1200 to replace. Every once in awhile the transmission shifts funny, too I have no idea what a transmission in a car like this would cost nowadays. I remember awhile back, I priced one in the Park Ave out of curiosity, and they said about $1800. The Regal's transmission is similar, just a bit lighter duty I think, and just a 4-speed. But, I have a feeling if it did need a rebuild, it'll be more than the $1800 I'm thinking. So, I'm basically just driving it and using it up.

Ideally, I want to get a Charger...either new or 1-2 years old. Preferably a Hemi. Lemko said that if I got the V6, he was gonna ask me how the other gals in the secretarial pool liked it :p Too much "Beverly Hillbillies", I guess! My only thing is, I want to wait until I'm retired, or really close to it. I moved a year ago...used to be 2.5 miles from work, but now I'm 18-22, depending on traffic and which way the GPS takes me. While that's not a horrible commute, I'd rather not do it with a Hemi. And, if I get a Charger, I want it to last awhile, rather than just use it up commuting.

If the Regal does die too soon though, I think I might just drive the Ram. It does guzzle a bit more...maybe 15-16 in my type of commute, compared to 20-22 for the Regal, and it takes 89 octane, versus the Regal's 87. But, in the long run, having a more economical second car just doesn't make sense from a purely financial standpoint. At least, this Regal hasn't. I estimate the Regal has saved me about $1700 in fuel. But, it's cost ~$5,000 in repairs, maintenance, and registration. Plus, insurance on it is about $500 per year.
  • Options
    On th ecooling system leak in the Regal, have you tried the GM cooling system tablets? I was tipped off to them when I had my Intrigue which had similar weepy coolant sealing. They are large, about an inch in diamter and maybe 1/2" thick. I seem to recall them being made of turmeric and some other natural substances. You crumble them into the rad and in my case at least, it cleared the problem right up. Come blister-packed on a card of 4 or 6, cannot recall how many.

• Options
    uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,112
    edited September 2019
    I gotta say, I have always liked '58 Fords (as in pic above).

I think some of it is my favorite, widowed aunt drove one in the late sixties--a cocoa brown with white roof and "cove" Fairlane two-door sedan.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    andre1969 said:

However, the Regal has a minor coolant leak in the intake manifold. The mechanic said that if I keep checking the coolant, it should be fine.

The coolant leak is important. The coolant is going into the oil. So use frequent oil changes to minimize damage to bearings from acidity. Even use cheap oil. Should be about $800 to replace with aluminum or steel backed gaskets between the lower intake manifold and the heads.

• Options

The coolant leak is important. The coolant is going into the oil. So use frequent oil changes to minimize damage to bearings from acidity. Even use cheap oil. Should be about $800 to replace with aluminum or steel backed gaskets between the lower intake manifold and the heads.

Actually, that was the first thing I asked the mechanic...was the coolant getting into the oil? He said it wasn't, that it was a slight external leak. But, I guess depending on where it is, if it gets worse, it might start getting into the oil? It was back in April, when he diagnosed that. Although oddly, I haven't smelled coolant since then, and every once in awhile there had been a slight whiff of it, before. I also check the coolant regularly, and it the level doesn't seem to be dropping any.

• Options
    ab348 said:

On th ecooling system leak in the Regal, have you tried the GM cooling system tablets? I was tipped off to them when I had my Intrigue which had similar weepy coolant sealing. They are large, about an inch in diamter and maybe 1/2" thick. I seem to recall them being made of turmeric and some other natural substances. You crumble them into the rad and in my case at least, it cleared the problem right up. Come blister-packed on a card of 4 or 6, cannot recall how many.

Actually, I never heard of those...thanks for the suggestion though. I'll definitely check it out.
  • Options

I gotta say, I have always liked '58 Fords (as in pic above).

I think some of it is my favorite, widowed aunt drove one in the late sixties--a cocoa brown with white roof and "cove" Fairlane two-door sedan.

The '58 was always my favorite of that generation Ford, although I think most people hate that year the most. I just don't like the bug-eyed look of the '57, with its jutting headlights. And the '59, while it has a more expensive look to it, also has a heavy look. And from the rear, it looks top-heavy to me. But, I thought the '58 looked good. I know they were going for a bit of the T-bird look, but to me it looked a bit Mopar-ish, somewhat akin to a DeSoto or Chrysler. Something about the way the headlights are inset, and the way the front wheel opening has that line at the top that swoops foward, to the front of the car.

I can actually picture one in that cocoa/white color, although the color I'd prefer is a really dark green, with either a white, or very light green, roof and contrast.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    andre1969 said:

ab348 said:

Actually, I never heard of those...thanks for the suggestion though. I'll definitely check it out.
    The ones I had were from GM with a GM parts number but these look to be the same thing:

https://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/vehicle-maintenance/cooling-system-seal-tabs.html

The GM part number was 12378254.

• Options
    I don't think this was posted previously, apologies if so. It's a Fintail for @fintail to weigh in on:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercedes-benz/220se/2312822.html

Originality is worth something, but check out the upholstery on the driver's seat, the dashpad, and what's that on the transmission hump?

This just seems wildly overpriced.

• Options
    Laughable. Judging by what I can see, it wouldn't fetch that even in Europe. It doesn't look like a bad car, mind you, but I think it needs roughly a half price sale.

I am also irked when people remove the body color paint on the hubcaps for more bling.
    ab348 said:

I don't think this was posted previously, apologies if so. It's a Fintail for @fintail to weigh in on:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercedes-benz/220se/2312822.html

Originality is worth something, but check out the upholstery on the driver's seat, the dashpad, and what's that on the transmission hump?

This just seems wildly overpriced.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    On the subject of old Benzes, the place that had the Town Car my uncle was interested in had this on their lot...

It looked like it was in pretty good shape, but I forget the miles. They wanted $3300 for it.

Oh, and here's the '07 Town Car we looked at...

**Edit: Found the link for the S420. 183,000 miles. https://www.balicautos.com/1989_MercedesBenz_420Class_Lanham_MD_11845803.veh

• Options
    That old MB could be several models - 300SEL, 300SDL, 350SDL, 420SEL, 560SEL. Being an 89, I think we can rule out the diesel models. Price could be fair or could be like throwing cash into a lit fireplace.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    I followed a very nice '71 Cutlass convertible in to work, looked a lot like this:
  • Options
    Snow must have come early to the UK this year. Wheels are not the right ones for a '71 but are from an '80s G-body 4-4-2. Understandable being in the UK and a common swap.

• Options
    Spotted for the first time on my street as I went out to get the mail, without my cell phone camera--an extremely clean, original/authentic-looking creamy light beige Mercury Colony Park wagon, the boxy-body era, through '91. It had correct-width (IMHO) clean whitewalls, woodgrain side panels, and those vaned aluminum wheels. Something about it made me think later-era, although I can't recall for sure if I saw the front bumper that didn't wrap around like the later cars had. It stopped at the stop sign and turned left and took off, sounding fairly 'throaty'.

I think I just remembered that there were no Colony Parks after '91.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Poncho

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Pristine

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Not sold here

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    You bought the Figaro, didn't you...

Either a Fisker Karma or Karma Revero. We were both moving, so unsure which iteration. Either way, still an impressive design.

And, a bit more mundane, Ferrari California.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Trip to move the daughter to San Luis Obispo, CA was fun although I probably should've scheduled an extra day in there. Days two and three, from St. Louis to Amarillo, and Amarillo to Kingman, AZ, were looonnnggg. Drove between 80 and 90 most of the time (although daughter said her Cruze hit 100 at a couple points, driven by her boyfriend), and still about twelve hours in the car with two or three brief stops. Before Kingman, we did stop for a while at Petrified Forest National Park.

I saw Cadillac Ranch, cool but the cars are mere shells by now with inches of spray paint on them. I took pics but I'll spare you, LOL. One cool thing for me, lover of twentieth-century U.S. history and pop culture, was that the spot where James Dean had his fatal accident was right on our route. Two-lane road in a rural area in Cholame, CA. There is a green sign that says "James Dean Memorial Junction" and down the road is a metal monument in a small park-like setting. We stopped and took pics of that.

About thirty miles east of the accident scene, I chuckled a bit at a Texaco station with a couple large photos of Dean displayed. Here, when I got back home, I read that this was Blackwell Corners, where Dean last stopped to buy an apple and a coke.

Guy that pulled in front of him in a '50 Ford was a Cal Poly student coming home to Tulare; said he didn't see the low-slung Porsche Spyder. He was not charged. He subsequently ran a successful electrical business but I've read, and heard from those who knew him, that he was pestered for interviews 'til the day he died in 1995. He turned down every one. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time! This fellow had the unusual name of Donald Turnupseed.

Scariest part of the trip for me: Getting off I-40 in Barstow, CA, onto 58 towards Bakersfield. Absolute nothing for miles and miles. I had seventy miles of gas remaining and I was sweating it. I drove thirty miles probably without even crossing another road. I finally filled up at a little burg balled "Kramer Junction".
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    First gas in CA, a buck or so more than every place else, sigh. I had her Cruze's oil changed while I was out there at a Chev-MB dealer (odd pairing; mostly a Benz dealer--"Alfano Motorcars") and it cost $89 for an oil change and rotation versus $56 back home, sigh. Two hour wait even with an appointment; longer than back home too. For my cars that are still in the factory powertrain warranty, I like using GM's Dexos oil.

I bought my buddy who's a M-B fan, a copper-colored metal water bottle with the 'Benz star at the dealership in their display case, for his sixtieth birthday a few days later. He enjoyed it. It was $35, not bad.
  • Options
    Long trips sound like something where synthetic may be a benefit. CA is one of those places that are cool to visit, but at least in the rat race cities, I don't think I'd want to live there - the amount of issues from there that have migrated north with population are enough for me.

Waiting in line at an estate sale yesterday, a pristine dark red 76-77 Monte Carlo drove by, not sure where to, it wasn't part of the estate. The estate car was an 02-ish Park Avenue that had sat outside for a long time, and had its share of garage scrapes that come with the territory.
  • Options
    a real oddity today. A Mazda rotary PU. it was on a trailer heading the other way and at first I thought it was a Courier, until I saw the giant ROTARY POWER graphic on the tailgate. White. Looked nice, and stock but had some weird giant wheels on it. I was hoping it was some kind of protective cover, otherwise they stuck out a foot.

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Spray on bedliner, instead of paint. Not sure what that does to the curb weight

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Those REPUs are quite collectible these days. Many seem to be modified rather than accurately restored.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited September 2019
    Back from vacation so I can have background movies again :)

Not a "car movie" at all, but they did try and use vehicles to establish the time/place for the story

• Options
    White Packard behind the red Chevy wagon?

• Options
    I enjoyed watching some episodes of Mad Men when Don drove the silver 65 Cadillac various places including what looked to be period correct Howard Johnsons restaurant exterior and interior. Lots of orange, turquoise and formica!