Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• Options
    ktcktc Member Posts: 30
    I got my 2005 Maxx 3 month ago, and it came with a cargo net in the trunk. Till now I am not able to figure out how and where to put that cargo net. Can anybody post a picture show how the cargo net work?
  • Options
    prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Don't know how to work pictures but the cargo net fits right behind the back seats if they were in the upright position. The rod fits in slots on the floor and the loops fit over buttons just ~6 inches up. Working from memory here, maybe there isn't a rod but position is right. Not sure on functionality though. I suppose loose tennis balls would be prevented from falling into passenger compartment floor.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    that is how my cargo net went in as well. It seems to keep stuff from sliding around if rear seats are down.
  • Options
    sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Excellent! I think it's there to keep smaller stuff from falling down behind the rear seats when they are moved forward. Now that I see how it works, I'll probably leave in place until situations warrant pulling it down. The dealer had no idea where to install it. In fact I found it hanging from the knobs in the far rear (one is left of the cargo light on the left). Now if I can only learn what these "knobs" are for...
  • Options
    michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    Great! After reading the posts here I just installed my cargo net in the correct position for the first time. Upon delivery I too found it partially attached to the knobs at the rearmost section of the cargo area (near the rear cargo light). It didn't look like it would be very effective there and frankly looked like a poor design, but the position at the forward section of the cargo area right behind the rear seats looks to be and is the perfect fit.
  • Options
    ktcktc Member Posts: 30
    That was where I put it, and when I asked my sale person in dealer, he insisted it goes to the rearmost part of the trunk, and bottom of net unattached to anything and hinging free -- kind of totally useless.
  • Options
    townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    e2helper, my hard start issue is only a hot start issue, and once again it has only happened about 7 times in 6 months. It has never failed to start eventually, but when it happens it will take 3 or 4 cranks and a stab at the gas pedal to catch.
  • Options
    The salesperson had no idea where the cargo net goes??? Truely pathetic. Is this another indication of just how bad the communication between GM and their dealers is?
  • Options
    balloo814balloo814 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Billy...

Do you know if the cargo area in the maxx is the same as that in the regular malibu???
  • Options
    Sounds like a typical salesman...

The one who sold me my maxx had no clue what the ticket holder on the window was until he broke it.

Then the Service writer thought that it was an aftermarket piece.
  • Options
    lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Edmunds should do a wagon comparison test with these vehicles

Ford Freestyle
    Dodge Magnum
    Mazda 6
    Volkswagen Passat
    Subaru Legacy
    Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

Luxury wagons

Mercedes C Class
    BMW 3 Series
    Audi A4 Avant
    Lexus IS 300
    Jaguar X Type
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Six small but likeable things that my Maxx has that the Elantra didn't.

1. Power pedal adjustment
    2. Electric seat height adjustment (rest is manual in basic Maxx)
    3. Telescoping steering wheel.
    4. Automatic lighting
    5. Driver info. center with temperature and MPG feedback (neat!)
    6. Standard CD player.

(some of these shortcomings have been corrected in later Elantras and especially the GT)

Five things that my Elantra had that I miss w. the Maxx:

1. center storage has two levels rather than one big bin.
    2. Lighted key ring
    3. Auto-off headlights in any mode (no run down battery if you don't have the lights on automatic--which the Elantra didn't have)
    4. A sunglass storage bin
    5. Separate clock and radio display, although the clock quit working.
  • Options
    jlwgmjlwgm Member Posts: 8
    Just had to pass this along.....Riding home today in bumper-to-bumper traffic through downtown DC when the lady in the car the next lane over rolled her window down and starts yelling at me. At first I couldn't hear what she was saying (radio to loud), so I turn the sound down and she yells that she loves my car, never seen one before and it's so cute! :) I love my Maxx!
  • Options
    What's that little grill thingy next to the two front interior lights?
  • Options
    lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    The interior of the Malibu Maxx SS is a huge disappointment. It is nothing but a sea of grayish black plastic. No wood, no metallic trim anywhere to make you feel special for driving an SS vehicle. Would adding some fake brushed aluminum on the console hurt? When will General Motors pay attention to creating high quality interiors? Even companies like Hyundai and Kia create better interiors than GM.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Microphone for OnStar hides behind it if you have the option.
  • Options
    I don't think the 'Bu's interior is up with the Ford 500, the Fusion or most of its Japanese, European or Korean competition. The interior is pleasantly light however, and a big improvement over GM interiors of five years ago like the Impala.

BTW-- I don't like fake wood, even though I have it. Prefer the aluminum strip on the gray interior. The natural interior is less monochromatic, however.
  • Options
    pourlemeritepourlemerite Member Posts: 7
    e2helper:

I brought my 2004 Maxx to my dealer today to point out that there is a 6" long crack in one section of the rear skylight's outside black weather stripping. Apparently the only way to replace the weather stripping is by replacing the entire skylight, as the weather stripping and glass are "joined at the hip" so to speak. I was hoping that you might be able to verify this information to be correct as I find it hard to believe.

BTW, thanks very much for all you contribute to this forum. I have been helped immensely via yours and all of the other "regulars'" postings, since purchasing my Maxx last June.
  • Options
    Thx, I try to help out when I can and also appreciate the input received from all of owners like yourself which I frequently pass along.

My expertise is in electrical system so I don't know much at all about the rear skylight but I think the part you are talking about is called the "window reveal molding". Definitely the glass has to be removed to replace the molding but I am not sure if the glass has to be replaced itself.
  • Options
    madmaxxmadmaxx Member Posts: 44
    e2helper-

My '04 Maxx is VIN: 190969, early Mar04 build.

Current mileage is 6,900. The transmission is begining to have a "growl" like the sound a bicycle chain/sprocket makes when you elevate the rear wheel and crank the pedals.

I copied the following info from a tag attached to the transmission:

614ETJJ0RDD 4ET and 24222824.

Is this transmission included in the TSB for update?
  • Options
    Weird that I thought you had another VIN (239589), do you own more that 1? Your actual build date is 03/15/2004

How did you read the numbers off the trans tag? Jack up the vehicle or use a mirror? I could see the tag on my wife's vehicle (similar G6) with a mirror but heck if I could turn all the numbers and letters around in my head to read it out correctly (LOL).

Anyways although this tag is supposed to contain a trans build date per service manual I certainly can't figure out which characters represent it and think that something changed. On my transmission there was an ink stamped number in blue above the location of this tag which more likely is build date of trans. The first line of mine had a very simple date format.

In any case this vin should be covered by by this TSB #04-07-30-021A because we have other Maxx owners on forum that had it fixed whose vehicle was built after yours.
  • Options
    e2helper--

You are correct--this is my second '04 Maxx LS. I traded in the first (with a May04 build date) for this one on Jan 3, 05.

I recorded the info from the transmission tag when the car was on the rack for a 6,000 mile tire rotation.

The first set of numbers were written vertically on the tag; the rest were horizontical left to right.
  • Options
    I'm curious, Madmaxx.... What was the cost to go from '04 to '05? Have you found there's a significant change from '04 to '05?

I suspect if I tried this is S.Calif, I'd get hosed. But might do it in '07 for the SS version after it's been "baked" for a year, and if I can find it without the ridiculous 18" wheels.
    Or may go with a '07 Saturn Aura if Saturn gets its service act in shape here.
  • Options
    alpindellalpindell Member Posts: 3
    I've had my Maxx for 2 weeks now, and I am loving it. It's a black 05 Maxx LS 1SB with a build date in mid-Sept 04. I imagine it sat on the dealer's lot for a while--they also had an identical white one with a dead battery (why, why, why did they even have this on view, much less in their "March Madness Sale" area????? I wouldn't even look at it as soon I found out it wouldn't start). I wasn't even thinking about buying a new car. I had gone to the dealer with my '03 S-10 that suddenly developed a problem with the anti-lock brakes. My partner was looking to trade in his Silverado damaged in an accident (still in the shop with frame damage) so we were just looking for him. We started talking, though, about how we had morphed into a 2 truck family, which was increasingly inconvenient. Though there's just the two of us, it made for problems when we had guests. When my out-of-state parents came to visit, we had to rent a car so we could travel together. Plus, Lake Shore Drive in Chicago prohibits trucks, so getting into the city was a pain. Since my partner was going to stick with a full-size truck, I started looking at cars. The salesperson showed us the Maxx, and it was love at first sight. We had never heard of this car, but it seemed impressive for its price, and we both liked the look. I wouldn't look twice at the sedan version, but I really love the profile and the elongated wheel base of the Maxx. It looks sporty without looking too ostentatious. The test drive clinched it. It was roomier and more comfortable than the S-10 with almost the same power. I liked the way it handled, and the gas mileage boost up from the S-10 is welcome.

This site has been the most helpful site I've come across. As soon as I got home from the dealer, I started looking online for info on this car, and the people on this board have been the most enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and charitable that I've encountered online. ehelper2 probably deserves a medal (or at least a very nice dinner), and the comments from everyone else have made me a much more informed owner. I ran outside just a little bit ago to put the cargo net in it's proper home! (thanks, prdm and others!)

I'm definitely getting the splashguards, and I was also thinking about dressing up the interior. Someone, many, many posts back bought the Platinum silver dash kit from Exotic Wood Dash and seemed happy. I'm leaning toward the Medium Wood (here's a picture of it, I think in the correct color: http://198.65.253.37/pics/wd538.jpg ). Has anyone else here upgraded their trim? And are you happy with it, too? Does anyone know of any other dealers online besides Exotic Wood Dash (http://exoticwooddash.com/default.asp) doing Malibus?

In two weeks of driving I have seen only 1 other Maxx, and I only got a glimpse as it sped by while I was sitting at a light. It still had the dealer sticker in the window, but it was 7:30 am, so that seems early for a test drive.

Thanks again for all of the great posts--it's nice to see the community that has built up around this car!
  • Options
    Both are '04 LS's. I traded the first (with 15,002 miles) for the second at no cost, thanks to a $2,000 bonus credit from the GM Card.
    The dealer got my first Maxx, the $3,500 in rebates, plus the aformentioned GM Card bonus (that was set to expire at the time of the trade anyway).
    It was a straight swap-no out of pocket $$, and I got another new Maxx--same Galaxy Silver even!

Think I should have asked for an '05, as the dealer didn't even counter my offer--only took them a few minutes to accept the deal!
  • Options
    Congratulations and welcome alpindell! I hope you will love your Maxx as much as almost all of us do.
  • Options
    ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    All -

I am probably going to be a new Maxx owner real soon. My dealer is working hard for my business! We are at GM Supplier Price minus all rebates minus additional $500 (so I don't pay the dealer fee (and yes, it is $500 in FL). I am leasing, and the rebate is $2500 for the LS or $2000 for the LT (both figures include March Madness bonus). Residual is 56% for 36 mo., 12k miles/yr lease, and interest rate is 4.5%.

Can someone summarize the main differences between an LS and an LT? I think they are the LT has color coded moldings (all), auto AC, leather/suede interior, different rims, anything else?

I think the stereo is the same between the two (unless the XM or 6 CD changer is ordered). Can someone confirm? Also, how do you like the stereo?

I am going between a Silver LS with 1SB and Sunroof or a Silver LT with 1SA (no other options). The LT is about $1200 more. I am leaning towards the LT because I have had sunroofs in my last 4 cars and I don't think I have opened them more than 10 times total.

Any thoughts and suggestions???

Thanks - Damon
  • Options
    firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Hey Alpindell, congratulations on the new Maxx.
    I have an '05 LS in medium grey, and a few months ago purchased the platinum colored dash material. It was super easy to install, and looks really nice..I only bought the pieces that surround the radio and HVAC controls, as that is the area that I think needed a little brightening up, although you can get enough to do the entire dash area and the doors, too.
    Have fun...it's what we should all be doing...I think..Jack
  • Options
    occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Some of you on this board may remember occking. Bought Maxx LT last April, put on 24k miles without any problems whatsoever but decided late December last year wanted AWD. My only complaint was the very poor traction I got in the MAXX in snow. Maybe, looking back a set of the Goodyear Triple T's might have done the trick. At any rate, even though I paid 24k for the MAXX last year (at that time last April there was only a $1000 rebate or -0- financing which I opted for. Traded it in for 13,500 towards a Subaru Outback 2.5I LTD & love the vehicle. Have already put on 8k in Outback, thus travel around 33k per year.

I see the Subaru dealer that I traded in the Maxx for still has the vehicle. They were trying to first sell for around 16k but with the big rebates out there that has not been possible. Heck, you can get a new 2005 Maxx LS for about that price. Maybe with not all of the options on the LT however.

I know this is nuts, but my wife still like the Maxx (more room in backseat than the Outback) & I think I can buy it back from the dealer for 14k. Am I absolutely crazy to consider that? If I were to get her one of the LS's new would want some of the features in the T, particularly Sunroom & that would bring the cost up to 17k anyways.

Anyone out there on this board having put on 25 or 30 k miles? Wondering what other problems they may have run into. I never had the steering problem or transmission problems some of the others seem to have had. When I turned in my car I bought back the extended warranty so were I to buy back this car would have to gamble on the manufacturers warranty which at the rate my wife drives would cover the vehicle for another 18 months or so.
  • Options
    Am only at 17.5K but so far, other than steering columm fix, Maxx LS has been solid transportation.

Other than fancier trim, "leather" seats and machine faced (heavier?) wheels, the LT's same as LS. '05 has side air bags available.

Wrt buyback, you're going for a previous known ..vs.. new unknown. Will you get the warranty back if you repurchase your old LS?
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    OCC..welccome back...I have about 19k on mine now..and it just turned 13 months old..not one problem yet...abeit the rear window shades issue..but I dont close them anyway....so not a problem here at all...with a mid Feb 04 build....no transmission or pulling to the left problems.....I beleive there was one other Maxx owner that had about 22K on his a few weeks back....but hey...I agree..you know the car...you know the maintenance..and the history of the car.....go for it...
  • Options
    I visited a Suzuki dealer (looking for an Aerio 5 door- a much improved car for 05 btw) and stumbled across a Scion xB. They had it listed for approximately $17K with 30K miles, roughly three thousand more than a new one. I think some used car managers don't have a clue...

Given that new LS's sell for $16K without GM card asssistance, I'd think that $14K would be more than fair. In fact, I'd show what the real-world selling price is and offer them the $13.5 back. No pain, no gain.
  • Options
    Ok...

Someone fill me in on what the 1SA and 1SB are. I know the differences between the LT and LS but previous are new to me...

alpindell... there seem to be many coincidences here. I actually traded my 99 Silverado in on my 05 Maxx... I didn't care much about what the Chicago PD would say about my truck on Lake Shore Drive. By the way, it had Texas plates so it would have made for a bad stop... I am lucky though that my brother is a Chicago cop.
    Just to let you know though... it is getting more difficult for the police to enforce that one because many of the SUVs that people drive down there weigh a heck of a lot more than either truck you mentioned.

Anyway, You will find that the folks here are really helpful and it is nice to know and is reassuring that I have made a good vehicle choice.
  • Options
    avantiavanti Member Posts: 27
    So, what are the 2006 changes besides the SS? Still no Stabilitrak, I suppose. I thought the SS might have it, but apparently not. e2helper?
  • Options
    I can't really go into too many details since I don't think Chevy has announced anything besides the SS models at the NY Auto show.

However I will mention 2 things: front end gets a facelift and new steering wheel (although not the same one that the SS gets).
  • Options
    1SA and 1SB are designators for Preferred Equipment Groups (PEGS). Another name for option packages

You can see their content at Chevy Web Site for Malibu. I don't see a 1SA (I think that is the standard condition for a model) there but I do see 1SB and 1SC.
  • Options
    The current steering wheel is not my favorite thing to look at all day. The picture of the new SS's wheel sure looks nice though.
  • Options
    hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    That cargo net is essential since the 2nd row seats slide forward leaving a gap or a crushing machine (depending upon the direction of travel).
    Kudos to whoever thought of this.
  • Options
    balloo814: The dealer window sticker from the car lists 1SB as front side and head curtain air bags, rear audio control w/headphones, driver seat 6-way power, floor mats, and remote starter system.

At one point I had a Ranger with a cap--someone once told me to throw a tent and a sleeping bag in the bed to make the truck "recreational", and that that would get you out of a ticket on Lake Shore Drive. I never did chance it, and with the Maxx I won't have to. :-)
  • Options
    Hey Jack--I've been starting to lean toward the platinum myself. It might look better than the wood with the grey interior (and my black exterior). I hadn't thought of just doing the radio and HVAC area. But I like the idea (and it's definitely much less expensive for some added brightness). Thanks!
  • Options
    I agree townhome; that's why I sewed a maroon colored leather Wheelskins cover on it..Looks and feels great now..Nice and smooth and grippy.
    Jack
  • Options
    Yeah alpindell, it looks nice..Go for it..Jack
  • Options
    hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    I realize styling is "subjective". However, since I'm not a truck guy, IMHO, the current front end styling definitely needs a facelift. Hopefully the front end on the LS & LT will be similar to the SS front end. Maybe I can retrofit one to my wife's 2004 Maxx.

I expect the "ebony" interior (shown in the Maxx SS previews) will make the interior of the Maxx look more expensive.

I'm still astounded by this car's value at its current selling price. IMHO, Chevy needs to put the MSRP of the Maxx LS at $19,995 and reduce the "incentives" so that potential buyers realize that they can buy a Maxx for substantially less than a similarly equipped Camcord.

Regards,

-HANK RYAN-
    Norman, Oklahoma
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    agreed. The Maxx simply is the best value out there. GM, in addition to giving up SEVERAL of their car lines, needs to stop these dumb cash giveaways, and needs to drop the bottom line price for the exact reason you stated Hank.
  • Options
    maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    e2helper, I'm wondering if this is an electronics issue, but why is the Malibu rated at 32mpg hwy and the Maxx at 30mpg hwy with the same engine? Is the computer different by chance or is there some other difference besides weight? Maxing out my Maxx's MPG is very important to me since I drive a lot. My highway driving at 65-70 at best is averaging around 27-28. Thanks for any insights.
  • Options
    hgr3inokhgr3inok Member Posts: 28
    Sedan highway fuel mileage (EPA) is 6.25% better. For information on EPA "estimates" see http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/FEG2005intro.pdf. The Maxx (3458 lbs.) is 284 lbs. heavier than the sedan (3174 lbs.) That's approximately 9% heavier. I'd say that's definitely one of the factors in the fuel mileage difference.

Are you using the cruise control for >75% of your driving? Can you drive hours at time without disengaging the cruise control? FWIW, my wife's Maxx (2004 with ~1800 miles) has varied between 18 mpg and 30 mpg on tankfuls (based on actual miles travelled and fuel used).

-HANK RYAN-
    Norman, Oklahoma
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Those EPA numbes sound about right, relatively speaking. On a recent trip to visit my parents (~370 miles each way) our sedan got 34.4 calculated (35.6 DIC indicated) on the way there, and 33.0 calculated (35.6 DIC again :P) on the way back. I drove around 5 over the speed limits everywhere I could.

To top things off I normally drive my truck back and forth to work, but due to the steadily increasing price of gas, wanting to spread the mileage accumulation on both vehicles as evenly as I can, and the fact that my wife and children had the week off, I decided to drive the Malibu to work this week. Driving especially conservatively (+-5 from the speed limit, no cruise, babying it on takeoffs, etc.) the DIC currenltly is showing 36.8 (I expect closer to 34 / 35 when I calculate it after fillup this evening though).

I'm more and more impressed with the drivetrain in these cars every day. I never expected to own a V6 that got over 32 mpg on its best day, let alone one with over 200 hp getting 34+ on trips. :)
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Note to the admins here- the new car 'smilies' are cool. :shades:
  • Options
    bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    I barely make 16.5 mpg with my 04'Maxx in moderate city traffic.
    DIC indicates 18.8 mpg and 19 mh average speed .
    No heavy take offs and I am not an aggressive driver.
    I am not that impressed... :(
  • Options
    Also the final drive ratio of Maxx is higher by about 8% which means engine is turning faster to get same speed down the highway. This is done for performance due to higher vehicle weight. Sorry if I didn't get the technical terms exactly right but I am not a transmission guy ;)