Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    hondaguy67hondaguy67 Member Posts: 66
    I think you are missing the point here. My pint is that supply and demand dictate price.

your point is that if you do not get a discount you will go somewhere else. This tells me 2 things.

1. You do not completely understand what it is to buy a great car. If you buy price and not vehicle you will always lose out in the end.

2. That it is not a matter of what you get for your money but how much of a great deal you get. In Honda you get one fo the most reliable vehicles in the world. You get a vehicle with the highest resale value in the world in it's class. (actually all Hondas are highest in it's class)

In my opinion Honda should be charging more for their cars and they should never be cheap sold no matter what.

Honda is the "gold Standard" of automobiles and should be sold accordingly
  • Options
    banjolaya1banjolaya1 Member Posts: 88
    I do get your point. I fully understand the supply-demand laws. But that law can be looked at from a few different angles. If something is in short supply it doesn't mean that it is so great. Maybe even demand is not so great either, just short supply for right now. But when it catches up with demand I'll ask you what happen with the resale value when people start buying it for $1,000-$1,500 less than MSRP.
    Anyway, I think you are missing a couple of things here.
    1. I do know what it is to buy a great car. I bought one just a month ago with 269 hp. Fast and furious. And fun too. And no less great than the currently overpriced CR-V.
    2. Sure, that is true. If I can get CR-V for $1,500 less five months from now, why not? I'll have a CR-V + $1,500 which I can spend on a few other things that make life worth living. Plus, the added benefit in waiting is - if you can, you pay the same payments to yourself (spend some on your all car), save the rest, and 5 months later you have yourself a nice down payment. Which in turn means you can get a loan for 36 months and not 48 (lower interest rates), your payments are less etc. Actually, if you look on MSN Money their money advisors have it all spelled out. I am yet to hear one who says - "Go ahead, spend it all and spend it now!" "Pay MSRP and more and you'll have a great product". Everybody will tell you wait and get the same great product for less.
    Let me be honest, CR-V is a great car and I would buy it today (but only if I can get a good deal, of course and V6 too) but if they would charge more for their cars, they'd find out that the demand can't catch up with supply and they'd have to come back to this price again. The same law of supply and demand means that they would charge more for their cars if they could. Why not?
    Gold standard doesn't mean we should be paying them in gold, right?
  • Options
    MSRP on a new CR-V is a good deal. plain and simple.

I will use this analogy, you get more standard features and a higher quality vehicle than any other vehicle at the same price.

if you want to wait go ahead but there are no9 promises that you can get that deal, and too be honest why would you buy an inferior vehicle for roughly the same price just because you will not pay MSRP???

makes no sense
  • Options
    I forgot to add one thing. The Rav4 you bought does not measure up to the CR-V You get a V6 but you gave up some other some other things. check out the seams on the exterior you will find much wider gaps and uneveness as compared to the CR-V, also you will find much cheaper interior materials, not nearly as much side and thigh support in the drivers seat, The resale value is not going to be anywhere near the CR-V and i could go on and on, I am not saying the Rav4 is a bad vehicle but it does not measure up to the CR-V in anything other than you can get a V6
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I had a "Smart Shopper" decide to "save" money by buying a Kia instead of an Odyssey. After two years of hating it, they came back to me for an Odyssey.

Since Kias depreciate like a rock,things didn't work out well for them.
  • Options
    hehehe how many times have i had that. some people will just buy what is cheapest with no concern for the future.
    oh well you cannot please everyone, and no matter what people will make bad choices
  • Options
    I am glad you appreciate cars you sell and that's good because that when you give the best of you to your customers. I just walked out and looked at the seams and didn't notice anything unusual. It just looks nice and shiny like a new vehicle should. Usually I don't notice that kind of thing, I just sit in it and drive and have fun. Actually it was V6 that won me over, not the price so much. But as surprising as it may seem, some people (including myself) do worry about the price. I work hard for my money and what I am trying to say, if your wife sees a new lamp for, say, $200 just before Thanksgiving and you know that the store will have a sale and the lamp will be 50% off a week or two later, would you tell her let's go go and buy right now or would you say let's wait two weeks and you'll have exactly what you want for $100. What can you do with remaining $100? Buy a second lamp... :D
  • Options
    redcrowredcrow Member Posts: 4
    I felt that MSRP was good initially, but then when I read about so many people getting much better deals than that on the same model I wanted, I wondered why I couldn't get those deals. Made me feel stupid. I probably seem stubborn to Honda salesmen, but I am not in a position where $500 is just a little bit of money - it is a lot to me. Since I am in no hurry to buy, I don't think I lose anything by waiting. And my current car (an older model CRV) is working fine so I don't incur extra expenses by keeping it. I am giving it to a relative when I buy my new car, so the only loser is my relative. He would likely agree with you at this point.
  • Options
    well I would reply to that this way. the Rav4 does not have leather, heated seats, ACE body structure, satellite radio, trip computer, lighted glovebox, daytime running lights, standard mud flaps, maintenance minder system, etc.

I did this comparison between CR-V EXL and RAV4 Limited V6. both top of the line models. the MSRP of the toyota is 500 or so dollars higher than the Honda. the leather alone in the Honda is worth about 1500 dollars not too mention all the other standard equipment that are not even available on the RAV.

you even have to pay for floor mats (I cannot believe it but it is true, LOL)

anyway like I told you before the RAV is not a bad car, it just des not measure up to the CR-V is standard features and quality.

so basically for 500 dollars less you could have had all the options I listed while paying full MSRP for the CRV.
  • Options
    My kind of guy! That's what I am talking about.
    See? And in the end you'll have what you want (a good car) at the price you want. And lower payments and... And you'll enjoy it just like the guy three doors down who paid full MSRP.
  • Options
    500 is a lot to me too my friend. I am not sure of the model you want nor where you live so i cannot tell you if people in fact are getting better deals, but i can tell you this. I was talking about EX-L and EX-L Navi. since there are not as many made as EX the supply is not meeting demand

I guess the point of my post is that even at full MSRP you are getting a great buy. with all the standard equipment Honda could ahve charged more for it. (read my above posts)
  • Options
    I did many comparisons too. I know CR-V inside and out. Either way you win some, loose some. But the final word had my DW when she hit the gas pedal and all 269 hp kicked in. I am telling you. That mile wide smile was worth $1,000. So, I have already saved $1,500!
    Just teasing, it was not $500 that won me over, it was the power. Put it in Honda CR-V and I'll buy it. If I can get a decent deal of course.
    BTW, this is what this thread is all about. "Prices paid and buying experience." To help fellow men save a buck. To discuss whether a deal is good or not. If everybody paid MSRP this thread wouldn't exist. If I wanted to pay MSRP I'd go and buy a Saturn. And yes, if Honda could charge more, let's put that Dealer Sticker with, say, additional $500. We can call it Wholesale Financial Reserve. Or just Markup. Let's see if they fly off the lot. Maybe they will. I don't know.
  • Options
    feefoefeefoe Member Posts: 36
    Tell that to my father who bought a 2001 Odyssey for over 30K. Hes now being offered 5K trade in with 99,000 miles on the vehicle. This is because Honda put out a bad transmission in the model for several years, and can only replace the old trans with the same exact unit. Yep... get rid of your old improperly designed unit for a new improperly designed unit. his has been replaced THREE times. Honda will replace it until your warranty runs out and then drop you right off a cliff.
  • Options
    Result: instead of lasting to 200,000 miles, like our old Accord, he has a vehicle that may last for 135,000 miles. If he replaces it just before the extended warranty runs out.
  • Options
    You guys are deluded if you think that the invoice has anything to do with the dealer's actual cost. "They showed me the invoice!" "They only made a couple hundred bucks on me!" What planet are you people from? Do you really think that a car dealer can stay in business on those margins? Yeah, they make money on the used cars and on service, but what are you guys smoking? If you see an invoice number being given EVERYWHERE, who do you think is putting out that red herring? Wise up. The dealer is making plenty even if he sells at invoice and gives you the holdback.
  • Options
    And you guys thought I was difficult... :)
  • Options
    bmwguy23bmwguy23 Member Posts: 43
    To each his own of course but we looked at and drove the RAV4...steering and general feel was not as taut as the CRV...fit and finish didn't compare to the CRV and the exterior styling with the spare and hideous cover turned us off...the interior was obviously slapped together with inferior components in comparison to the CRV's...neither of us got the feel of solidness and quality from the RAV...the CRV (which we got for $650 over invoice) felt like a $35K vehicle and the RAV felt very much like the $25K vehicle...the ONLY thing the RAV had going for it was the engine and my other car is a 300+HP BMW so that wasn't a big deal for us...quality/style of construction was way more important.

Our $0.02
  • Options
    nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    I exactly felt the same thing. CRV EX-L felt and looked classy where as the RAV4 even with leather looked "cheap". This was my general impression. Bluetooth and dual climate control on the RAV4 were definitely a plus but not enough to sway my decision.
  • Options
    Oh, really???

This is how the rumors get started.
  • Options
    cliffbcliffb Member Posts: 46
    Feefoe:
    Was the 2001 Odyssey the first model year? Just bought LX 4WD
    and like it (wish the rear window was lower - think Subuaru Forester). Anyway I have 6000 miles to decide whether to buy extended warranty (from dealer). I would only consider it because it's a first model year. I've regretted buying all the extended warranties I've purchased in the past (one car couple appliance). But for new model year car? Maybe??
    Any opinions?
  • Options
    You sir are no where close to being right. if the dealer gives you the holdback then where does he make any money on the sale of the vehicle???

thats right they make none. now if you finance or do your service there they will make some, but if they give you holdback they make hothing on the actual sale of the vehicle.

red herring??? it seems as if you are putting one out not us.
  • Options
    the guy is an idiot, and his bogus story about his father is just as bad.

pay no attention he is what is called a griefer.
  • Options
    Do not worry my friend. it is not like the components of the CR-V are new. the engine is the same as is used in the accord 4cyl. the tranny is not a new design etc. if i were you I would get the warrantee, but it is because you will probably keep it for a long time not because there will be any design flaws.
  • Options
    phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    being that all these sales people chime in on Prices paid and buying experience maybe we should change the name to stories from the front line. Oh wait there all ready is a post with that name. :P
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Do not worry my friend. it is not like the components of the CR-V are new. the engine is the same as is used in the accord 4cyl. the tranny is not a new design etc."

Hmmm, lets see. The AWD is a new design (old one was mechanical, new is electronic, if I remember correctly - but in any case it is a redesign). Also, aren't more of the components "fly by wire" than in the Gen 2?

Also, the CPU programming is definitely different; this year they are depending on the maintanace minder to the point that the owner's manual doesn't list service intervals. Since the newer cars are completely controlled by the CPU, this would place different stresses on the engine and drivetrain. Lastly, keep in mind that the Gen 2's have been suffering A/C compressor failures. Has Honda changed the compressor design?
  • Options
    true but also remember you have a 5/60 power train warrantee which is why i did not mention it :)

also it is the same AWD design as the Pilot has been for a couple years. so that is tried and true as well
  • Options
    torodieseltorodiesel Member Posts: 16
    Go to this webpage (carbuyingtips.com) http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car4.htm and read the section titled "Your Offer: 5% Over Dealer's Acutal Cost". This website has a lot of good information to use for your next car purchase. Also, check out fightingchance.com and decide if you would like to use their service. Being that the CR-V is new and in high demand, some dealers may not want to give too good of a deal right now (depending on what area you live in). I have gotten quotes from several dealers around the Twin Cities area for '07 CR-V LX FWD @ prices ranging from $20,211 to $20,811 (MSRP of $21,195, Invoice of $19,656). I even received a quote for an EX-L AWD w/ leather & navi for $27.6k (MSRP $28.7k). All these prices are off of internet sales quotes with no haggle prices and vehicles that were in stock. I for one believe that NO vehicle is worth full MSRP! And if someone can convince you that it is, I would like to sell you some beachfront real estate. ;)

P.S. Educate yourself using websites like the ones I mentioned above, but do NOT let a car salesperson tell you what you should know!! After all, they are in the business to sell you a vehicle at your expense.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,281
    If you have an experience to relate regarding buying a Honda CR-V, then please post it here...

If you want to compare it to a RAV4...

or promote paying as much as possible for a vehicle..

or anything related to the other ten thousand subjects here on CarSpace forums..

Then.. Please use the search function and find another discussion

Thanks in advance for your cooperation..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jdwksujdwksu Member Posts: 27
    Yay for Mods!!

Thought I had entered a Honda vs. World caged death match. :(

I wish they were giving discounts on the CRV like they were for the Pilot. :) And no I do not need an explanation about supply and demand or market conditions. :P it is just a simple statement. "I wish"
  • Options
    This thread did develop into RAV4 vs. CR-V death match. You'll notice I didn't push the issue, I just argued that no car is worth MSRP. Period. And as I mentioned a couple of times, I am not here to switch you over from buying a CR-V to buying a RAV4 but to help my fellow men save a buck or two because that's what this thread should be all about (see below).
    link title
    What I have been preaching is very nicely said in torodiesel's reply. Do your homework, try to get a good price, if you can't - wait it out or find another car you like. Just don't be a laydown. Unless you are so desperate to buy today because you wrecked your car a couple of days ago and just got a check from the insurance and you can't get to work without a car. But I'd still put up a fight. In the end, WE (buyers) hold the wallet and we should be the ones deciding what we want to buy, for how much and how much is something worth to us. I did my homework and went to Honda. They weren't willing to budge. I went elsewhere and bought another car for some $1,700 off the MSRP. That was my recent buying experience with CR-V's.
    Now let me hear from you guys, what is your experience, how are you treated at the Honda dealerships, what kind of deals you're getting. I always love to talk about that and I always smile when I hear when somebody saved so much $$$.
    If you are in a hurry and don't have time to read carbuyingtips.com (it is lengthy) or fightingchance.com, feel free to ask questions. I read them all and a few car buying books on top of that. I'd say I know a little bit to be able to answer a question here and there about car buying process, what you should do and what you shouldn't do. However, if you have a car sales question, I can't help you there.
    Good luck to all you buyers and remember - you don't have a friend in car sales business... ;)
    Now let's save some money!
  • Options
    brianjandreaubrianjandreau Member Posts: 67
    As I wrote early, I ordered an 07 EXL for an agreed upon selling price of 24637. It has arrived and now I'm working on financing details. I started by seeking financing through Honda, and the best rates they would offer were 6.99 for 60 months and 8.24 for 72 months. My bank offered me 6.24 for 60 mo. and 6.5 for 72. I think Honda is trying to make extra cash on the CRV with high interest rates. My advice--find your own financing (if you need to finance).

Oh yea, it only took the dealership a week to locate an EXL and another few days to get it. They said nothing about a boat.
  • Options
    nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    Hi torodiesel
    I am in the twin cities market too. I found the two luther honda dealerships a tad more competitive than the rest. What dealership gave you the best price? If you are not interested in pursuing the CRV Navi quote, would you mind e-mailing me(through the car space mail system - link at the top) the name of the salesperson and the dealership. I did see a navi model at Hopkins Honda last weekend, but it was all decked up with every available accessory and I did not even bother asking the price!
    The other thing is that most of the dealers don't have the correct inventory listed on-line, so even asking for quotes is futile. Bloomington Honda never bothered to reply to both my on-line quote and e-mail request to the young sales guy who gave us a test drive. St. Cloud Honda would not budge for any more discount than 500 below MSRP!

Is your quote including the dealer delivery charge? If so it is not too bad for the twin cities. I have booked with Hopkins Honda but with the CRV still on the "boat" and no VIN number given to me to date, I am positive that if some one comes with a higher bid, my CRV will remain on the "boat" for some more time! So I too am keeping my options open, including going for a RAV4. Toyota city sales person called me again today saying they would give a real great 'end of month' deal. I told them I am still deciding between the CRV and a Toyota and would get back next week. I am going to e-mail my Honda sales person again to see if the "boat" is any closer to our shores:)
  • Options
    sky5683sky5683 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, can i ask how much u paied for ur CRV?
  • Options
    car20car20 Member Posts: 12
    For those in NJ I did TONS of research about 2 months worth..and was able to get quoted in writing $1,200 under invoice for a Grey cr-v 07 with black interior with NAVI...plus destination charge of $595, from David Michael in Freehold, NJ. In the end I decided to buy a used Lexus RX330 for the same price as the new honda given all of the upgrades and smoother ride...but you can get under invoice with NAVI. Just keep working one place off the other...it works. I hope that helps with your puchase. They really aren't moving as fast as they say they are. Just find each dealer that has the exact car you want and keep working one off the other...
  • Options
    Why is no car worth MSRP?

If the MSRP reflects a decent VALUE, then paying MSRP makes sense. If the MSRP is an inflated number like the domestics do, then I agree with you.
  • Options
    again...do not listen to a salesperson...

all car manufactures inflate their prices...domestic & imports

It is the same way, for instance, in the clothing business. That shirt at Kohl's/Mervyn's/etc has a MSRP value that is inflated so that the "sale price" looks like a good deal. Even when the shirt goes on clearance, there is still a slim profit on it.
  • Options
    phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    you want people to pay you MSRP, work for Saturn.
  • Options
    kristiecatkristiecat Member Posts: 3
    I paid $20,195 (which includes transportation) plus tax,title,and license for a Green Tea Metallic 2007 2WD LX CR-V. What makes this even more incredible is that the dealer was willing contact other dealers in Texas to get the color we wanted. My dealer, RELIANCE HONDA, in Lake Jackson managed to strike a deal and trade with another dealer that was about 450 miles away in Wichita Falls. He sent a driver and we had our CR-V the next day. I worked with two other dealerships (Honda of Clear Lake and McDavid Honda) that were closer to my home but basically were unmotivated to sell me a car that I wanted (suggesting I should get an EX) or get me the color I wanted unless I gave them $500 deposit and paid MSRP. Reliance Honda matched the "bait and switch" price offered by Clear Lake.

I say bait and switch because they never had the car on the lot nor would contact us when they had notice of a shipment coming in so we could "pre-order" and put a deposit down. The internet offer was only good for a limited time We really were not that picky-we wanted an LX in any color except black and dark blue and we wasted a month waiting around.

Reliance Honda always followed through on their agreements and were willing to extert some effort to give us what we wanted not to sell us what we did not want.
  • Options
    "again...do not listen to a salesperson"

Yeah, especially when they are trying to explain the realities of a market.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "also it is the same AWD design as the Pilot has been for a couple years. so that is tried and true as well"

I don't think so; the Pilot has VTM-4 and none of the CR-V literature I've seen indicates it has anything other than a modified RT4WD system, with a different method of engaging the rear differential than the Gen 2.

2007 CR-V Specs on the hondacars.com site
  • Options
    isellhondas,
    I am not trying to say CR-V isn't worth the money, I am saying MSRP has no scientific value to it. How do they come up with that number only Honda knows. What I am saying the invoice has some merit. That's what the dealer really paid. Well, less a few things here and there. If you happen to know how MSRP is formed, please let us know because I am clueless and I would like to know. Really.
    That's why I say no car is worth MSRP. Well, let me rephrase this - I would never pay MSRP no matter how good the car. As you can see, there are lots of people that agree with me and there are some 95% (that don't come to this forum or do any significant homework) that just walk in and lay down. I know they are good customers and the educated ones are bad but what do you do? If I can shave $1000 off of the MSRP I will and for that money I might be able to get extended warranty (if I could get a good deal on that too, of course). Just from my perspective, saving money is good. Saves you a lot of headaches. If I were to buy a Lexus today, and we know they have been #1 by JD Powers and Associates for a couple of years in a row, I would still do my homework and walk in and ask if they have a good deal. If they don't I'd go and buy Accura (if they are willing to cut me a deal of course). Educated buyers are just another reality of a market. I know there are only about 5% of those outthere but they usually don't end up upside down or default on their payments or...
    If you were to buy a CR-V from your own dealership today, would you want to pay MSRP or would you say - hey, I work here, give me some employee discount? Would you like to save a buck or two or a thousand?
    Me too.
  • Options
    starchild4starchild4 Member Posts: 8
    I have good news for those of us still waiting for a CRV.
    The dealership in Alabama that we are purchasing from, said that a shipment of cars was "on the boat" as we speak(Jan. 23). This whole thing of waiting for a car to come from overseas is new to us. Anyone have any ideas of the time from?
  • Options
    So, I think what you are saying is you would settle for a lesser car because of your refusal to pay MSRP?

I can't tell you how, exactly MSRP's are deternined but I'm sure a lot of factors are figured in. That is what the manufacturer thinks the car "should" sell for. Some cars sell for less than that and some sell for more.

How well a shopper is educated doesn't affect what the market is on a car.

I know a guy who just paid 10,000 OVER MSRP for a new Z06 Corvette. That's the car he wanted and that was the market on that car. To him, it was a good value.
  • Options
    Yeah, right... I'm full of Sh@%.

I guess I'm a Honda basher. That would explain why I think that my Accord was hands down the best car that I've ever owned.

The invoice is nothing more than a selling tool you dupe. Have you ever heard of the terms, "rebate," "spiff," "coop-advertising credit," etc.? Wow! You're really in the know, aren't you. You and every other person with a computer can find the invoice cost and holdback so that you exactly what the dealer paid...

WAKE UP.

I'm new here, but if any of you care to contact me, I'll be happy to speak to you over the phone and when I'm done, then you can tell me that our Odyssey hasn't had its trans replaced three times in under 100K.

All that you need to do is type the terms "Odyssey," "transmission," "problems," and 2001 into google and you'll find whole message boards full of people complaining about the 3 model years that experienced the problems that we've experienced. BTW, my brother-in-law is a transmission specialist who used to work for a large chain of transmission shops in the tri-state area. He used to be the head instructor for the whole shebang, charged with keeping everyone else up-to-date on new tech and policing the different franchisees by running stings. He now works for an independent transmission shop and he has a fleet of Odyssee's sitting in the lost waiting to be repaired.

Like I said, they made a bad transmission, then decided to keep replacing them with the same bad unit rather than engineering a new transmission that would work with the models from the affected years.

Don't believe me? Well, there's a class action suit against Honda for this very reason right now ('99-01 Look it up.), and Honda is extending the warranty mileage to 109K as a result. Again, once that point is reached, you're thrown over the cliff, i.e. your trans will die at aroung 140K, so please keep your mouth shut unless you know what you're talking about.
  • Options
    elf5elf5 Member Posts: 1
    rgrafer:

Can I have some more details pls? Which trim is this? What is the total including TT? Which sales person did you contact?

My email is dude36 {at} gmail{dot}com

Many thanks!

""Replying to: rgrafer (Jan 22, 2007 11:55 am)

For those in NJ I did TONS of research about 2 months worth..and was able to get quoted in writing $1,200 under invoice for a Grey cr-v 07 with black interior with NAVI...plus destination charge of $595, from David Michael in Freehold, NJ. In the end I decided to buy a used Lexus RX330 for the same price as the new honda given all of the upgrades and smoother ride...but you can get under invoice with NAVI. Just keep working one place off the other...it works. I hope that helps with your puchase. They really aren't moving as fast as they say they are. Just find each dealer that has the exact car you want and keep working one off the other... ""
  • Options
    Nearmsp,

I sent you an email to your carspace mailbox. Hope you got it. Let me know.
  • Options
    I think you are a bit!
  • Options
    Actually, the percentage of Odysseys that had transmission problems is pretty low. Still there were some with problems which is not typical for Honda.

They stepped up to the plate (as you mentioned) and extended the warranty on these. If we were talking about a domestic, this would be considered normal.
  • Options
    A "bit"??

What's that?
  • Options
    asshutoshasshutosh Member Posts: 3
    I am interested in buying 2007 Honda CRV EX model in NJ around Parsippany. I would appreciate your help to find best deal.

If any one has bought this SUV in NJ, could you please advice me how much you have paid for it..

Thanks in advance.