Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    There's another forum focused on the LegacyGT (hint hint for the website name), and I have posted the mod over there in teh interior/audio topic. Sorry, I can't give a direct link or Edmunds will delete it.

Craig
  • Options
    katwaykatway Member Posts: 19
    I went with a 2005 VDC and could not be happier. The VDC really does provide an added safety feature that is going to become standard in many new vehicles of the course of the next few years. The Today show had an excellent segment explaining the safety advantage of VDC or variants thereof and you might want to see if you can locate it. in my experience, I've tested it on tight turns at high speeds and it is quite amazing. I can't wait for the next winter storm, I'm actually looking forward to experiencing it in the VDC.

Anyway, I also own a Volvo V70R and when I thought about getting a new vehicle, I simply couldn't return to a Volvo. My Volvo requires expensive repairs on a quaterly basis. The new Volvo are spacious, but I found that they made poor use of the room with too few compartments, etc.

What really impresses me about my VDC is it's smooth H-6 engine (only Porsche makes anything like it)and its great handeling. It has a 2 foot tighter turning radius than the Volvo or similar crossovers.

As you can tell, I prefer the safety of VDC compared to the 2.5 XT. additionally, the question I kept asking myself was whether after 100K miles, I want a solid H-6 engine or a turbo engine. In my experience with my Volvo V70R, the turbo engines wear quicker due to the increased heat in the engine compartment. The VDC doesn't have that turbo kick, but it has more power from a dead stop. The H-6 is a very smooth and quiet engine. So, for my purposes, the VDC is worth the added cost and wait (inventory is generally low for them).
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good for you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it thoroughly.

Not everyone wants the same thing, it's nice to have these choices.

Enjoy your H6 and stay safe. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    I sometimes wonder myself if I shouldn't have gone with the VDC instead of the XT.

The longevity is not a factor for me as I do not plan to keep it beyond the warranty. But while the XT is a blast, I think in the long run the smoothness of the H6, along with the added safety and the improved stereo, might have made the VDC more pleasurable to live with, especially on the highway.

However, I do prefer the gauges and seats of the XT, and I enjoy a manual tranny.

But in any case, I couldn't even try a VDC, as my dealer hasn't even seen one yet. They received 22 Outbacks last month, no VDC, only 2 turbos.

Sly
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    the Highlander V6 AWD, Outback 2.5i Limited, Mazda 6 V6, BMW X3 2.5, Volvo V50 turbo AWD & Dodge Magnum 3.5 V6. As listed, this was the order of finish according to CR.

Only the Highlander and Outback received "Recommended" ratings. I think if they had tested an H-6 Outback or XT Outback, it would have beaten the Highlander, as it was by far the slowest in the group. CR mentioned that it was slow compared to the others. Also, if you let up on the gas through a corner, the rearend tends to swing out.

Bob
  • Options
    michael2michael2 Member Posts: 31
    the auto down switch is lighted, are the rest of the window switches on the drivers side lit, I thought they were,just want to make sure whether I do or do not have an issue for my next visit to th dealer.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    PS fluid is just ATF Fluid. It might be Yellow from the factory but most ATF fluids that a dealer will add is red.

-mike
  • Options
    Yes, they all have a red dot illuminated in the middle of the button. Are yours out? if all are out, I bet it's a simple fix (since they are individual LEDs). BTW, they are lighted all the time, you just see it in the dark.

Craig
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Is your window lockout button pressed in?
  • Options
    Holy moly!! That is so cool! When you press the lockout button, the lights go out. Nice catch Sam!

I bet my wife's Forester did this and I never noticed....

Craig
  • Options
    thanks sam,

i did have the window lockout button pressed in.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I checked my '04 Forester XT to see if the lockout button for the windows turns off the other door switches lights. It does NOT. In fact, the switches are lit all the time while the ignition is on, regardless of the head/tail lights being on.

-Brian
  • Options
    This seems like a strange feature. A nice little touch for sure, but peculiar when you look at all the other little touches they left out of the 05! I bet it's a basic wiring thing -- the lockout button must cut all window switch power to the other doors and the LEDs probably just feed off that.

Craig
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Over at Legacygt.com there's a thread going on about all the little cool features people have found on their 05 Legacy/OBs.

The LED being turned off by the window lockout button is one of them. Other ones (mostly dash related) are:

- On the GT/XT, the illuminated ring around the fuel gauge will glow brightly when low on gas. The readout also will momentarily flash miles to empty.
    - When the key is out of the ignition and the trip odo stalk is pushed, the odo lights up to show total miles. Also the fuel gauge and needle illuminates to show how much gas you have left.
    - The info panel will blink once after every hour of continous driving.
    - When the rear wiper is set to "INT", going to reverse on a 5EAT model will automatically set it to "ON".

Ken
  • Options
    Cool stuff.

I can see how the ODO/Fuel trick would be handy for the Hertz guys, not sure what good it is to the average user.

So the rear wiper thing only works on 5EAT? :(

Sly
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I think the odo thing is becoming a normal item for all cars. Took them long enough, since digital odometers first arrived 10-15 years ago and it was annoying to check mileage with the key when servicing the vehicle or for rental companies.

The rest of the things are neat and probably unique features!

~c
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I can see how the ODO/Fuel trick would be handy for the Hertz guys, not sure what good it is to the average user.

Everytime I go outside to check my mileage for whatever reason, I seem to forget my key. My SIL's 300M turned on the odometer whenever the driver's door was opened.
  • Options
    bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    How can anyone turn down 1.9% financing, guaranteed trade-in on the WRX(58% of MSRP after 44 months!), and 300 over invoice. The car is black, which will guarantee the continuation of my elite member status at Griot's and Meguiar's, but it looks badass. On the final test drive, I drove to the BMW dealership and parked it next to an X3 to do a final comparo. The only thing I really liked more about the X3 was the additional headroom and better OE tires. I really loathe the RE-92's, they seem even worse than the version that came on my WRX.

My head is firmly into the headliner in the mornings, so I'm thinking of having an inch of seat cushioning taken out-unbeknowingst to the wife.

Overall, love the increased refinement and smooth drive. I find the engine very torquey, providing amble grunt way down in the RPM range. Wonderful truck in need of better tires. SOA really makes it easy to be a return customer. To date this is my 4th Suby wagon. Will also note that the Subaru Outback is the car/truck of choice for San Francisco surfers. The parking lot at Ocean Beach often looks like an Outback club event.

Martin
  • Options
    tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Ask your dealer to swap out the tires. They might do it (but they might only carry Bridgestones) I have learned to live with the RE-92s but I have no confidence that I will be able to stop quickly or corner well.

Congrats on your purchase. They look nice in black!

tom
  • Options
    mfhmfh Member Posts: 37
    Im on the verge of pulling the triger on an OBXT LTD and still possibly an LL Bean (I know these 2 vehicles dont not make sense to most people). In the meantime, I test drove an X3 just for kicks (b/c I really cant afford it). For me (not a driving expert), the acceleration, handling was relatively similar in the 2 cars. OB XT rides better and has more amenities. But I really liked the seating position in X3 coupled with good handling.

Can anyone comment on the pluses and minuses of an OB XT LTD vs BMW X3?

thanks
  • Options
    Wait until you hear the RE-92A hum on concrete highways, you will really hate them!

Can you get some extra headroom by reclining the backrest a little?

Craig
  • Options
    Well, I don't know anything about the X3 but I have to say that the OB XT is somewhat unique. To me, it is like a Legacy GT with extra ground clearance and a slightly cushier ride. From that standpoint, it was the closest I could come to a sports sedan like the Legacy GT and still get some light offroad capabilities and utility. If you are leaning towards something that has a sports car flavor, I'd say the Outback XT is a better choice. To me, the X3 carries more of an SUV/truck image no matter how they market it. Even though the Outback is now classified as a truck, it is really a car at heart.

I think of $$ and reliability being strongly in favor of the Subaru as well.

Good luck!

Craig
  • Options
    gxb159gxb159 Member Posts: 46
    My OB 2.5i does not have the alram upgrade. Yesterday the chirping when I lock/unlock the car mysteriously stopped. I checked the manual and did not find anything and before I drive to the dealer, I figured this crew may know. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Read the back of your key-remote....

Craig
  • Options
    Martin,

Congrats! Great choice!

Hey are you in the Bay Area? Which dealer did you use?

Welcome!

Ken
  • Options
    How can anyone turn down 1.9% financing, guaranteed trade-in on the WRX(58% of MSRP after 44 months!), and 300 over invoice. The car is black, which will guarantee the continuation of my elite member status at Griot's and Meguiar's, but it looks badass. On the final test drive, I drove to the BMW dealership and parked it next to an X3 to do a final comparo. The only thing I really liked more about the X3 was the additional headroom and better OE tires. I really loathe the RE-92's, they seem even worse than the version that came on my WRX.

My head is firmly into the headliner in the mornings, so I'm thinking of having an inch of seat cushioning taken out-unbeknowingst to the wife.

Overall, love the increased refinement and smooth drive. I find the engine very torquey, providing amble grunt way down in the RPM range. Wonderful truck in need of better tires. SOA really makes it easy to be a return customer. To date this is my 4th Suby wagon. Will also note that the Subaru Outback is the car/truck of choice for San Francisco surfers. The parking lot at Ocean Beach often looks like an Outback club event.

Martin
  • Options
    Thanks all. I actually do recline the seats in the morning now, but I don't like the driving position. My hands only reach the bottom of the steering wheel in this position, and I to not feel as in Control.

I purchased the car at Marin Mazda Subaru, whom I have had a very long relationship with.

The X3 is a very nice vehicle, and I think it actually handles better than the OBXT, however I had a hard time paying more for a cheap interior and less grunt. I never got to test drive a manual X3, but the automatic felt significantly less powerful than the OBXT. Strictly subjective. Also, superficially, the X3 exterior has never done it for me-and I just could not see myself driving it with pride.
  • Options
    Did you get auto or manual? just curious.
  • Options
    moutbackmoutback Member Posts: 39
    After 4000 sweet miles in my OBXTL, I finally have my first problem. The dash console cigarette lighter/electrical socket is dead. No charge, no lighter. I know parts go bad, but this seems really unusual (and would be more inconvenient if I were a smoker). Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Is the ring around the socket lit at night? If that is out too, then I would suspect the connector to that assembly came loose. That is easy to fix -- I can tell you how to get at it.

If the light is on but the socket has no power, check to see if the fuse blew.

Craig
  • Options
    moutbackmoutback Member Posts: 39
    Thanks, Craig! It turned out to be the fuse. The ring was illuminated when the lights were on, so it wasn't (at least I think) the connector. I got a 10 amp spare fuse from under the hood and replaced blown fuse in the fuse box on the driver's side.
  • Options
    I don't mean to sound cynical, but why would you buy a car you do not fit in?
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    move the seat closer to the wheel and become accustomed to bending your legs more. tilt the wheel up if you need leg clearance.

I realize that a telescoping steering column would fix this, and I actually sympathize because I have long legs relative to my torso & arms myself. but I definitely move my seat to the right position to adjust for it.

~Colin
  • Options
    dmbst68dmbst68 Member Posts: 50
    3 questions:
    1. What octane does the Outback 3.0R sedan require? I know the XT requires premium, but I wasn't sure about the V6.

2. Anyone have the 2005 Outback sedan? I've seen one on the road and a few at my local dealer. Really nice car.

3. Any recommendations for a dealer in western PA? Positive or negative comments are welcomed.

thanks!
  • Options
    1) The H6 models also require premium

2) Nobody here that I know, but folks on other forums have them. Actually a nice looking car, and very rare/unique.

3) I can't help there but we do have folks from PA that can chime in.

Craig
  • Options
    Here's another one I just discovered today:

When the headlights are off if you pull the hand brake, the daytime running lights turn off.

I also discovered that there are two banks of FM presets, but then that is actually documented (barely).

Sly
  • Options
    snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    My wife had a 00 OB Limited sedan which she traded for an 04 VDC sedan which has an H6 and uses premium. She has enjoyed both cars and wanted the sedan for the locking trunk. Can't help you with a Subaru dealer in Pennsylvania.
  • Options
    chassolchassol Member Posts: 95
    I have purchased cars over the last 41 years and our new 2005 Legacy GT Limited has the weirdest thing I've seen on a new car. The rubber seal totally worn through at about the door striker level on the body portion of the door seal.

We got the car in June 2004 and it now has just under 12,000 miles on it. The seal has a hole in it and it looks dried and cracked on what you might see on an 8-12 year old car. The rubber actually almost disinigrates when you press not real hard on it. The only thing near that area so far as touching is the rubber (bumper) stopper on the door itself. That appears to have some "white" grease on it - (lithium?)

I have no question it will be replaced by my dealer.

It almost makes me believe it was defective from when it was manufactured by Subaru's supplier.

The seal only runs from a little bit above the door striker and down the bottom and then up about the same distance on the front side. It should not take a good mechanic more than 20-30 minutes to change.

I use a good rubber seal protectant, but had not done it yet but have been keeping the car washed and the seals clean.

Just couldn't believe it and just thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else runs into the same problem later on.
  • Options
    So you're saying it's the weatherstripping on the body?? Or on the door?

If the wrong kind of grease got on the foam rubber, it could definitely eat right through it. Actually, there are several things that could do it. But it could just be a defective part.

Should be an easy fix.

Craig
  • Options
    hilberthilbert Member Posts: 103
    I purchased Outback 2.5XT today. I don't get it until Monday though. I am excited about it.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    My brother is considering replacing his SUV with an Outback XT, so we were at a dealership this afternoon browsing around. I just bought my new car a little over a year ago, but if I could, I'd love to replace it with a Legacy GT wagon. So, for fun, I like to look at what the dealers have on the lots.

Well, they actually had exactly what I would want - an Atlantic Blue GT Ltd wagon with black leather, and most importantly, a manual transmission. It stickered just over $31k, but the posted sales price (on the windshield) was $27,588. Are others seeing discounts like this? I believe that's almost $1k under invoice. The salesperson just said that there were certain cars that had been on the lot for a while and they wanted to move them.

Not that I can really act on it now, but I was half-tempted. Didn't think my wife would respond too well to me coming home in a new car. "Hi Honey, yeah my brother didn't find what he was looking for, but hey, look what I got!"

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    I'm not surprised by a GT that's selling for under invoice. Considering the relatively low press attention that was given to the GT, I'm sure the inital rush by those in-the-know has faded by now (like me) and there could be one or two that have been sitting on dealers lots for a while.

How many miles on that particular GT? Sometimes dealers will discount their "demo" model to move it before the test-drive miles stack too high.

Ken
  • Options
    stantontstantont Member Posts: 148
    Where did you find the review of the non-turbo OB? I went out and bought the November issue of Consumer Reports and it tests sports sedans, including the LGT, but not any of the non-turbo cars. BTW, they liked the LGT in most ways but faulted it for mileage and for "tail swing-out" in extreme handling. CR got an abysmal 18 mpg for the LGT.

Has anyone seen road test numbers for the non-turbo with manual trans? Legacy or OB wouldn't matter; not enough weight diff to be important.
  • Options
    this hook popped out from the location under the carpeting. didn't break, just came out. it's also plastic, versus the metal stud i had in my 2000gt. very surprised,it may be a small detail, but should not have happened in this car.
  • Options
    Boy, I would be tempted too -- that's the color combo I was seeking when I was shopping for Legacy GTs, and it looks great. Still sort of wish I got one!

I got my fresh-off-the-truck Outback XT for invoice in July, so I can see how the prices would be going lower a few months later, for something that has been on the lot. The place I bought from (Fitzgerald Auto Mall in MD) also starts dropping the price based on time on the lot.

BTW, this is not a good place to post, because most of us will encourage you to get the car! I feel even sorrier for your wife now that I see you posting here -- she doesn't have a chance!

Craig
  • Options
    Common problem. I think it's a dumb design -- the older "peg" style metal hook was a lot better.

I think you can easily reattach the plastic one as long as it did not break.

CRaig
  • Options
    Congratulations! What color did you get?

CRaig
  • Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's help over the months. Yesterday I went to test-drive an OBXT vs an LL Bean. Bu t I noticed a VDC in the inventory.

I didnt notice a big difference in everyday style driving between the VDC and XT. I was really sold on the ESC that comes with VDC. In the end, if I needed the ESC (on the way to Tahoe)I would gladly pay extra for it.

I didnt have the same bargaining power with the VDC vs XT but ended up paying 500 over invoice. My car is gold opal with taupe interior. Intially I wanted black, but this is what comes with VDC. Now, I actually like the taupe a lot.

Im very happy with the car; it is by far the nicest car Ive ever owned. You guys and gals have been instrumental in helping me know which car to buy and approx how much to pay (difficult to gauge).

I did not get the extended warranty but Im open to it. What do others think.

Michael
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Its the Dec 2004 issue, not the Nov. It should be on most newsstands by now, for those who dont have subscriptions. Very favorable review overall. Only downpoint really is the lethargic 0 to 60, and tailwag issue.

FWIW, I've taken on ramps at a much higher speed in our Legacy 2.5i 4EAT Sedan than other sedans I've driven, and I have definitely let off the throttle (no brakes)... and I've never felt anything but confident in the cars ability; I didn't notice any unusual handling characteristics. Im guessing it must only TRULY be at-the-limit handling during the demanding Moose avoidance manuever.

However, I will agree that the car is not quick with the non-turbo engine and auto (though an OB Limited wagon is still a good deal heavier than ours). Highway passing is fine, off-the line, however, the vehicle is mercilessly flat-footed unless you toe enough gas for upshifts out of first to occur at 4500+ RPM.

~alpha
  • Options
    tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    (It's ok Craig. Sometimes I sorta wish I got the OB!) ;-)

tom